PDA

View Full Version : Speed Game: 2012 NFL Draft WR Class

pricejj
03-21-2012, 02:01 PM
2012 NFL Draft: Loaded for Bear at the WR Position

Projected 1st Rounders:
1. Justin Blackmon (WR) - Oklahoma State - 6'1", 4.45 forty, 35" vert.
2. Michael Floyd (WR) - Notre Dame - 6'3", 4.47 forty, 36" vert.
3. Kendall Wright (WR) - Baylor - 5'10", 4.45 forty, 38" vert.
4. Mohamed Sanu (WR) - Rutgers - 6'2", 4.45 forty, 36" vert.
5. Stephen Hill (WR) - Georgia Tech - 6'3", 4.36 forty, 39" vert.

* Alshon Jeffery, Rueben Randle, Chris Givens, Brian Quick, and Greg Childs could all go in the 2nd round.

I'm all in with one of those guys in the first round. The most likely to be around at #25 are Wright, Sanu, and Hill. Hill had an awesome combine, Wright and Sanu turned in impressive Pro Day's.

If the FO is too incompetent/poor to get Mike Wallace from the Steelers...one of these guys is the next best bet.

I'm confident Fox and JDR will bring in DT depth before the draft.

SportinOne
03-21-2012, 04:28 PM
No.

Caldwell is coming in for a visit. You got DT, Decker, Willis, and Caldwell and you are good.

Now, about that front seven...

RaiderH8r
03-21-2012, 04:30 PM
Kind of regretting not making a play for at least one decent FA wr.

DBroncos4life
03-21-2012, 04:31 PM
No.

Caldwell is coming in for a visit. You got DT, Decker, Willis, and Caldwell and you are good.

Just cause a guy is visited us in the off-season doesn't mean we can use him in the season for games.

Rohirrim
03-21-2012, 04:32 PM
I don't know how my gut instincts have panned out in the past, but I have one this year about Reuben Randle. I think he didn't get enough reps in Les Miles offense and he's going to explode in the NFL.

Agamemnon
03-21-2012, 04:37 PM
No.

Yeah, Caldwell with his 1172 yards over four seasons fixes everything! ::)

pricejj
03-21-2012, 04:55 PM
Mohamed Sanu is 6'2", runs in the 4.4's, has a 36" vertical, broke the Big East record with 115 catches, and had 1200 yards...ALL as a true Junior.

I would be VERY HAPPY with picking him @ 25. I suspect Manning would feel the same.

Lestat
03-21-2012, 04:58 PM
if we could pick up TBA(hopefully on D) in the 1st then snag Randle or Jeffery by some miracle in the 2nd i would have a fangasm.

cmhargrove
03-21-2012, 05:05 PM
And with the 25th pick of the third round the Denver Broncos select.... Ryan Broyles, University of Oklahoma.

DBroncos4life
03-21-2012, 05:18 PM
Wright is the only WR that I would want in the first round that could be available when we pick. We need the return game help.

RaiderH8r
03-21-2012, 05:18 PM
Yeah, Caldwell with his 1172 yards over four seasons fixes everything! ::)

Snagging vincent Jackson was a good idea before Manningand it is a good idea now but our guys sat tight waiting on little lord Fontleroy. I say we make a run at TO or Ochostinko.

RaiderH8r
03-21-2012, 05:19 PM
Wright is the only WR that I would want in the first round that could be available when we pick. We need the return game help.

No WR in the first round. How many times does grabbing a wr in the first have to **** the bed before people get it?

UberBroncoMan
03-21-2012, 05:22 PM
Stephen Hill is DT 2.0.

Would be a nasty WR core. All 6'3+ with two speedy guys and a possession guy in Decker.

Archer81
03-21-2012, 05:24 PM
Whenever someone says "sure thing, sure bet, sure shot" I immediately disbelieve the player in question is going to become a beast.

:Broncos:

Drunken.Broncoholic
03-21-2012, 05:25 PM
Just cause a guy is visited us in the off-season doesn't mean we can use him in the season for games.

Caldwell signed. There's some good talent at WR coming out. Better defensive talent though. At 25 the value at defensive picks will be higher. Deep draft for defense.

DBroncos4life
03-21-2012, 05:26 PM
No WR in the first round. How many times does grabbing a wr in the first have to **** the bed before people get it?

When we land a Calvin Johnson like WR in later rounds let me know.

DBroncos4life
03-21-2012, 05:27 PM
Caldwell signed. There's some good talent at WR coming out. Better defensive talent though. At 25 the value at defensive picks will be higher. Deep draft for defense.

He wasn't signed when I posted this dude.

27atwater
03-21-2012, 06:02 PM

I don't love this year's "upper-echelon" prospects, aside from Blackmon. Wright, Floyd, Randle and Jeffrey all have question marks. Sanu clocked a 4.67 combine 40 time. If I'm gonn take a WR in round 1, I want a sure thing.

Lately...plenty of good WRs can be had later on. Heck, some have even gone undrafted. With the new rules, or enforcement of them, guys who play well in open space are just fine. I love Broyles, but given his injury history, he could be had in the 4th. I also like all 3 Arkansas WRs. Joe Adams and Jarious Wright fought it out until the end for the all-time Arkansas catch title. Both are small and fast and can be great retrunmen as well. Greg Childs has an injury history, but has lots of talent. I also like Fuller of T A&M, but he ran a slow time as well.

I do agree though...Hill IS intriguing.

RaiderH8r
03-21-2012, 06:04 PM

Matt Millen's track record alone demonstrates that Megatron is the exception to the rule.

pricejj
03-21-2012, 06:08 PM

1st round WR's don't wet the bed with Manning. If they can catch Manning will throw it to them. How many times do under-achieving DT's taken in the 1st round bust? Hint: a lot more than WR's

If you consider an under-achieving, oft-injured, run-stuffer (Still), better than a speedy, record-breaking, 6'2", true Junior WR (Sanu), then that's on YOU.

Sanu clocked a 4.67 combine 40 time.

Sanu clocked a 4.41 at his Pro Day today.

pricejj
03-21-2012, 06:11 PM
Whenever someone says "sure thing, sure bet, sure shot" I immediately disbelieve the player in question is going to become a beast.

I changed the title for you, whiner. ;D

Archer81
03-21-2012, 06:15 PM
I changed the title for you, whiner. ;D

Appreciate it. LOL

DBroncos4life
03-21-2012, 06:35 PM
Matt Millen's track record alone demonstrates that Megatron is the exception to the rule.

Lots of elite WRs have been drafted in the first round. Get over it.

RaiderH8r
03-21-2012, 06:47 PM
Lots of elite WRs have been drafted in the first round. Get over it.

Oooohhhh "lots". I stand corrected.

pricejj
03-21-2012, 06:52 PM
The question: What WR are the Broncos going to acquire to properly utilize Manning?
The answer is: NOT Caldwell

iforgotmypassword
03-21-2012, 06:53 PM
I'm starting to warm up to the idea of a WR, and it's not even entirely due to Manning. Look at the absolute STUDS this year. If we go BPA it's highly likely that would be a WR.

Wright plays the slot. Kinda hard to think about because Baylor played such a vertical passing game but he was certainly a slot receiver. I think Decker and DT can play the X and Z, Wright would be an AMAZING Y.

Not real familiar with Colts Offense but I think they have TE's play the Y quite a bit????

What's anyone think about Brian Quick, WR, Appalachian State????

elsid13
03-21-2012, 06:55 PM
Mohamed Sanu is 6'2", runs in the 4.4's, has a 36" vertical, broke the Big East record with 115 catches, and had 1200 yards...ALL as a true Junior.

I would be VERY HAPPY with picking him @ 25. I suspect Manning would feel the same.

Sanu doesn't run a 4.4. He is more a high 4.5/4.6 guy.

elsid13
03-21-2012, 06:56 PM
I'm starting to warm up to the idea of a WR, and it's not even entirely due to Manning. Look at the absolute STUDS this year. If we go BPA it's highly likely that would be a WR.

Wright plays the slot. Kinda hard to think about because Baylor played such a vertical passing game but he was certainly a slot receiver. I think Decker and DT can play the X and Z, Wright would be an AMAZING Y.

Not real familiar with Colts Offense but I think they have TE's play the Y quite a bit????

What's anyone think about Brian Quick, WR, Appalachian State????

Quick has potential but he is raw and needs to work on his route running. He should be sitting there in either the 3rd or 4th.

DBroncos4life
03-21-2012, 07:04 PM

Lol really? Jerry Rice, Tim Brown, Randy Moss, Michael Irving, Al Toon, Marvin Harrison, and Reggie Wayne just off the top of my head. The top two greatest WR's stat wise are former first rounders.

pricejj
03-21-2012, 07:43 PM

Let's take a look at the last five 1st rounds in the NFL draft:

Guys not worth a 1st round pick are highlighted in RED

WR:
2011: A.J. Green, Julio Jones, Jonathan Baldwin (broken hand, sat out first five games)
2010: Demaryius Thomas, Dez Bryant
2009: Darrius Heyward-Bey, Michael Crabtree, Jeremy Maclin, Percy Harvin, Hakeem Nicks, Kenny Britt
2008: none
2007: Calvin Johnson, Ted Ginn Jr., Dwayne Bowe, Robert Meachem, Craig Davis, Anthony Gonzalez

Other than 2007, there haven't been any 1st round WR "busts" (the jury is still out on Baldwin). Robert Meachem and Anthony Gonzalez have even had decent years. In reality, you're looking at a 18% "bust" rate. This year is a strong class for elite WR's.

DT:
2011: Nick Fairley, Phil Taylor
2010: Ndamukong Suh, Gerald McCoy, Tyson Alualu, Jared Odrick
2009: B.J. Raji, Peria Jerry, Evander Hood
2008: Glenn Dorsey, Sedrick Ellis, Kentwan Balmer
2007: Amobi Okoye, Adam Carriker, Justin Harrell

You're looking at a 50% bust rate in 1st round DT's. Hint: most of them come in the bottom half of the 1st round (precisely where the Broncos pick). Keep in mind, none of the DT's you are thinking of selecting (Still, Poe, Worthy, Brockers) had dominating college careers. In fact, their college stats we're very similar to the other DT "busts". This draft has NO elite DT's...and none will be picked in the top 15 (maybe Cox)

orange crusher
03-21-2012, 08:41 PM
Let's take a look at the last five 1st rounds in the NFL draft:

Guys not worth a 1st round pick are highlighted in RED

WR:
2011: A.J. Green, Julio Jones, Jonathan Baldwin (broken hand, sat out first five games)
2010: Demaryius Thomas, Dez Bryant
2009: Darrius Heyward-Bey, Michael Crabtree, Jeremy Maclin, Percy Harvin, Hakeem Nicks, Kenny Britt
2008: none
2007: Calvin Johnson, Ted Ginn Jr., Dwayne Bowe, Robert Meachem, Craig Davis, Anthony Gonzalez

Other than 2007, there haven't been any 1st round WR "busts" (the jury is still out on Baldwin). Robert Meachem and Anthony Gonzalez have even had decent years. In reality, you're looking at a 18% "bust" rate. This year is a strong class for elite WR's.

DT:
2011: Nick Fairley, Phil Taylor
2010: Ndamukong Suh, Gerald McCoy, Tyson Alualu, Jared Odrick
2009: B.J. Raji, Peria Jerry, Evander Hood
2008: Glenn Dorsey, Sedrick Ellis, Kentwan Balmer
2007: Amobi Okoye, Adam Carriker, Justin Harrell

You're looking at a 50% bust rate in 1st round DT's. Hint: most of them come in the bottom half of the 1st round (precisely where the Broncos pick). Keep in mind, none of the DT's you are thinking of selecting (Still, Poe, Worthy, Brockers) had dominating college careers. In fact, their college stats we're very similar to the other DT "busts". This draft has NO elite DT's...and none will be picked in the top 15 (maybe Cox)

So the jury is still out on Baldwin but Fairley is a bust? To call Ziggy Hood a bust but not Heyward-Bey is a bit of a stretch too.

Aftermath
03-21-2012, 09:05 PM
The question I want answered is: What kind of retard wants the Broncos to draft a WR in the first round, or even second?
Thanks for posting the thread! Tard

pricejj
03-21-2012, 10:41 PM
So the jury is still out on Baldwin but Fairley is a bust? To call Ziggy Hood a bust but not Heyward-Bey is a bit of a stretch too.

Jury is still out on Fairley too. Ziggy Hood is still developing (as are all the players listed), but in his 3rd year (this year) he had 31 tackles and 1.5 sacks...not worth a 1st round pick. Darrius Heyward Bey had 975 yards this year, which is worth a 1st round pick.

The point to be made is: DT's have a 50% bust rate (even higher the later in the 1st round you go). WR's have a 17% bust rate.

The question I want answered is: What kind of retard wants the Broncos to draft a WR in the first round, or even second?
Thanks for posting the thread! Tard

Good one hillbilly.

You do realize that the Broncos are currently in a 3 team bidding war for Mike Wallace right (in which they would give up the 25th pick to the Steelers)? The Broncos just signed one of the best QB's to ever play the game, and he needs WEAPONS to win the Superbowl. The Broncos don't have anyone on their roster who caught more than 45 balls last year.

If your plan is to draft a marginal DT @ 25, then wait for him to develop into a solid contributor in 3 years...I hate to break it to you, but that won't work. The Broncos have to win NOW...and drafting Still/Worthy/Poe isn't going to get you anywhere close to beating the New England Patriots.

Shananahan
03-21-2012, 10:57 PM
At this rate, I'd rather have an above-average DT in three years' time than a very good WR now. I'm sick of neglecting the middle of the defensive line.

cutthemdown
03-21-2012, 11:15 PM
The only reason people think WR bust more in the first round is because they are often glamor picks. You remember them more. You are more excited about them etc etc.

I bet just as many pass rushers are busts. They always go high in the draft and often dont pann out. Dends, 3-4 OLB come to mind. Some of the bigger busts have been OT, Mandrich, Gallery.

cutthemdown
03-21-2012, 11:15 PM
At this rate, I'd rather have an above-average DT in three years' time than a very good WR now. I'm sick of neglecting the middle of the defensive line.

You would think out of our first 5 picks, that 2 of them will go to the front 7, and at least 1 to DT.

cmhargrove
03-22-2012, 06:17 AM
If your plan is to draft a marginal DT @ 25, then wait for him to develop into a solid contributor in 3 years...I hate to break it to you, but that won't work. The Broncos have to win NOW...and drafting Still/Worthy/Poe isn't going to get you anywhere close to beating the New England Patriots.

Maybe the point you are missing is that we don't necessarily need a DT to be a "dominant force" their rookie year - we just need them to be at least as good as guys named Marcus Thomas and Ryan McBean. Hopefully, you pick guys that can get much better in that three year window, but we need replacements with an upside, not world-beaters. While these guys grow, you can still bring in more FA's each year to help supplement what you have.

Requiem
03-22-2012, 06:41 AM
Sanu doesn't run a 4.4. He is more a high 4.5/4.6 guy.

@ the Rutgers Pro Day he was timed in the 4.4's -- but he is a guy you hope is around in the second round. I wouldn't be surprised if he went higher than Alshon.

Elway 4 Life
03-22-2012, 07:05 AM
For those of you wanting us to get Wallace; he just came out and said he wants a bigger contract than Larry Fitzgerald. He's talented but definately not worth that kind of money. We need to draft D heavy and often.

elsid13
03-22-2012, 10:48 AM
@ the Rutgers Pro Day he was timed in the 4.4's -- but he is a guy you hope is around in the second round. I wouldn't be surprised if he went higher than Alshon.

Hand timed and on astro turf, I would put him more in the 4.5 range then the 4.4, and I have concern with him getting separation.

pricejj
03-22-2012, 11:47 AM
Hand timed and on astro turf, I would put him more in the 4.5 range then the 4.4, and I have concern with him getting separation.

He was not feeling well at the combine, and said he had a bad first 10 yards. At his Pro Day, he showed off the burst that he has.

Stephen Hill is the only elite receiver that has shown he can run in the 4.3's...I'm just not sure about his hands.

There is no question about Sanu's hands, or ability to catch the football.

pricejj
04-09-2012, 07:51 PM
More analysis on Sanu, Jeffrey, and Randle from NFL.com. It's too bad we can't get one of these guys. Andre Caldwell is not the answer.

http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2012/04/09/cosell-talks-the-wide-receiver-transformation/?module=HP11_cp

Requiem
04-09-2012, 07:52 PM
We need a slot receiver, those guys play outside.

pricejj
04-09-2012, 07:54 PM

Sanu's been playing in the slot, and would be perfect with Manning. That's what we mainly needed on Offense. Oh well. ****.

"Another receiver who fits this conceptual template is Mohamed Sanu. Sanu is 6-1 1/2 and 211 pounds. He often played out of the slot at Rutgers, so he has meaningful experience in that role. He was outstanding between the numbers, consistently making difficult catches in traffic."

DBroncos4life
04-09-2012, 08:06 PM

Jarius Wright or Devon Wylie sounds good to me.