PDA

View Full Version : Backup Duties

BroncsCheer
03-20-2012, 11:18 PM
Whos going to back up 18?
What's the skinny on Weber? Is he a gamer to step in like Bubby was?
Old guys get hurt - speaking from experience.
Unless EFX really like Weber, a need at QB exists ....

I wouldn't mind 15 but that bell's been rung.

What say you about backup duties for the 2012 season?

BroncsCheer
03-20-2012, 11:21 PM
Can't edit title from iPhone

Should say 'backup duties'

Memento
03-20-2012, 11:29 PM
Can't edit title from iPhone

Should say 'backup duties'

I think "B" works well... it's actually pretty attention-grabbing.

I'd like to see what Weber has to offer. Great athlete. 36" vertical.

ScottXray
03-20-2012, 11:40 PM
I think Weber is better than most think, and he is a Pocket guy, that also has some wheels. He didn't get to play lat preseason but one series ( I think) but he did allright, especially on a pass he threw under a heavy rush.

I think he may be a baller, just depends on whether he can cut out the INTs.

ward63
03-20-2012, 11:41 PM
Keep Tebow, if not...then trade him to New England for Mallett.

BroncsCheer
03-20-2012, 11:45 PM
Keep Tebow, if not...then trade him to New England for Mallett.

I like Mallett but I hate the Pats.
That's interesting.

BroncoMan4ever
03-21-2012, 12:15 AM
i wouldn't be surprised to see us bring in one of Peyton's former backups, and draft someone like Nick Foles.

Ratboy
03-21-2012, 12:23 AM
i wouldn't be surprised to see us bring in one of Peyton's former backups, and draft someone like Nick Foles.

Yeah, bad Combine/Pro days means he's dropping.

BroncoMan4ever
03-21-2012, 01:06 AM
Yeah, bad Combine/Pro days means he's dropping.

get him in the 4th. of all guys to learn from Manning in this draft, Foles skill set most closely matches his own.

not saying Foles can be the next Manning, just he has a similar skill set and playing style which would be a good thing behind Manning and he does have some potential and skill which could maybe be developed.

Atwater His Ass
03-21-2012, 02:13 AM
Keep Tebow and let him improve the worst areas of his game (reading defenses and decision making) from one of the best in those areas.

Oh btw in the process let Tebow score 10+ TD's a year from 10 yards and in as one of the best short yardage/goal line players in the league.

Durango
03-21-2012, 02:50 AM
The Broncos are going to draft Brandon Weedon if at all possible, and I heard on ESPN the team is actively pursuing Billy (?) Volek, the ex-Charger back-up.

They do have a plan, apparently.

Broncoman13
03-21-2012, 06:23 AM
The Broncos are going to draft Brandon Weedon if at all possible, and I heard on ESPN the team is actively pursuing Billy (?) Volek, the ex-Charger back-up.

Weeden with Manning doesn't make much sense. Figure Manning plays three or four years, Weeden doesn't start until he is at least 31 years old. Small return for a guy that we would have to select at #25. I would rather we moved down a bit in the first and drafted Osweiler. Lots of encouraging things being said about him. Just very raw.

broncos-rock
03-21-2012, 06:49 AM
Caleb Hanie is coming in for a visit hopefully he is plan f!

go_broncos
03-21-2012, 06:50 AM
Tebow - I hope he doesn't get traded.

cmhargrove
03-21-2012, 07:17 AM
Weeden with Manning doesn't make much sense. Figure Manning plays three or four years, Weeden doesn't start until he is at least 31 years old. Small return for a guy that we would have to select at #25. I would rather we moved down a bit in the first and drafted Osweiler. Lots of encouraging things being said about him. Just very raw.

Rep.

I'm an Oklahoma State fan, but this team just declared their immediate goal as a Lombardi. Every single pick needs to try to fulfill that goal. If they only think they can get starters in the first four rounds, then trade all the lower picks to jump back into those rounds - no high picks on QB's.

I would rather take a chance that a retarded Burfict might have a role, than spend a pick on an aging backup QB.

BroncoInferno
03-21-2012, 07:21 AM
I think Shaun Hill is underrated and I think he's still available. He's one of the top back-ups out there. I hope we make a play for him.

TonyR
03-21-2012, 07:28 AM
Sounds like they're looking at Volek and Hanie.

edog24
03-21-2012, 07:31 AM
Sounds like they're looking at Volek and Hanie.

That's good. There are so many journeyman qbs out there for us to pick from, I really don't get why people are so enamored with blowing draft picks on medicore prospect qbs.

sgbfan
03-21-2012, 08:27 AM
My hope is they draft Kellen Moore in the 7th, use him as the dedicated back-up, and train him under manning to be an "assistant" qb coach. Then they can draft Mannings replacement in 2-3 year. Moore seems like the perfect long term backup like Kubiak was for Elway.

Not likely I know...

ScottXray
03-21-2012, 08:35 AM
My hope is they draft Kellen Moore in the 7th, use him as the dedicated back-up, and train him under manning to be an "assistant" qb coach. Then they can draft Mannings replacement in 2-3 year. Moore seems like the perfect long term backup like Kubiak was for Elway.

Not likely I know...

I think you are right...Moore is also a smart player and he never failed to put his team in position to win games. His only losses came when his kicker failed to deliver in his entire coolege career. yes, he is a little too small...but heart and brains together is worth a late pick...he can PLAY!

Pony Boy
03-21-2012, 08:36 AM
I say bring Brett Favre in ........

hookemhess
03-21-2012, 08:40 AM
No love for Brock Osweiler?

BroncoFiend
03-21-2012, 08:46 AM

After signing Manning there is no possible way they will spend their first pick on a his eventual replacement.

Elway knows how it feels to see your 'replacement' drafted instead of someone to help you win now.

sgbfan
03-21-2012, 08:53 AM
I don't want them to draft his "replacement" for another 2-3 years. I know that Aaron Rodgers sat for 3 years, but I still think the QB needs to learn on the field, and that if we get the right guy, he will be ready sooner rather than later.

ColoradoDarin
03-21-2012, 09:17 AM
If you're not going to groom Tebow, then it makes no sense to draft a QB in the first 4 rounds (I like the Kellen Moore in the 7th as a Kubiak type player/coach idea). Sign Hanie - he's capable as a backup and draft the QBOTF either next year or the year after.

BroncoBeavis
03-21-2012, 09:22 AM

Oh, but they're planning to keep Tebow if they don't get any great offers! LOL

Lycan
03-21-2012, 09:22 AM
So if we draft Brandon Weedon, by the time he actually sees the field he will be 30+.

No thanks.

spdirty
03-21-2012, 09:27 AM
I heard we have interest in Billy Volek and Caleb Hanie. Hopefully Manning never gets hurt.

Broncoman13
03-24-2012, 10:08 AM
Broncos will be sending a huge contingent of coaches and management to watch Osweiler's workout. Same crew that went to watch Weeden and then pick up Manning. I would expect them to really consider him at 57. In fact, if there was one player right now that I HAD to bet on in the 2nd round, it would be Osweiler.

6'7, 245 and a super athlete to boot. He makes a lot of throws off balance and is kind of raw, but definitely a guy to keep your eye on. Broncos would offer him the perfect situation (sit and watch for three years).

Broncoman13
03-24-2012, 10:14 AM
Brock Osweiler
Arizona St
Ht. 6-8 Wt. 245
Arm Strength: Osweiler may have the strongest arm in this draft. He can make every throw necessary with enough zip to be considered an elite arm in the NFL. The ASU system really didn’t spotlight Osweiler’s arm talent as he threw a ton of bubble screens and underneath throws. In the NFL he could be dangerous in an offense predicated on downfield passing. His release was an issue early in his career but he has worked on making it shorter and more compact which gives him the ability to get the ball out quicker.
Accuracy: He is a generally accurate passer but he has a tendency to rush throws causing his accuracy to plummet. He throws accurately deep and does a solid job throwing into windows in zone coverage. His feet are usually the culprit of an errant throw.
Athleticism: Usually tall quarterbacks struggle with footwork and setup but Osweiler has solid feet. His overall athleticism given his size may be the most impressive attribute of his game. While he’s not a guy teams will gameplan for as a scrambler he has the ability to escape the pocket if necessary.
Intangibles: Osweiler will need some time to develop in a complex NFL system. ASU ran mostly out of the shotgun so Osweiler will have to adjust to NFL drops. He has shown the mental aptitude to grasp defenses and was noticeably better in 2011 than 2010 in this area.
Bottom Line: Osweiler is a high upside guy that a team will be have to be willing to allow him to sit and learn for a couple years. He won’t be ready to play day one in the NFL but has the physical tools to be special at the next level. If he can adjust to the complexities of the NFL game he has a chance to be a special player in the league.
Draft Projection: I may get killed on this projection but I think Osweiler’s upside warrant a late round one selection and should definitely go in round two of the draft. He compares favorably to a Ryan Mallett but without the off-field-issues. Mallett was a third round pick and had a lot of maturing to do. Osweiler’s lack of game experience should be balanced by the high upside and I see his floor as a second rounder.
SEASON
CMP
ATT
YARDS
COM %
TD
INT
SACKS
RATING

kappys
03-24-2012, 10:25 AM
We're going with plan A - meaning if Manning gets injured we are screwed. Focus on protecting Manning and upgrading the LG position at the least. Go with a vet as backup - Volek sounds fine for now. Worry about finding a QBOTF next year or the year after

MABroncoFan
03-24-2012, 11:51 AM
Jeff Sperbeck‏@jeffsperbeckReply

#dennisdixon visiting the #denverbroncos today. Wud b great to learn from one of the greatest #peytonmanning.

BroncoDoug
03-24-2012, 01:17 PM
Looks like they may be back on the Hanie train....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/24/broncos-want-caleb-hanie-as-peyton-mannings-backup/

bowtown
03-24-2012, 02:00 PM
When I don't eat enough fiber I get backup duties.

GreeleyGrizzley
03-24-2012, 02:37 PM
Give me some K-Moore!

ColoradoDarin
03-24-2012, 05:23 PM
If you're not going to groom Tebow, then it makes no sense to draft a QB in the first 4 rounds (I like the Kellen Moore in the 7th as a Kubiak type player/coach idea). Sign Hanie - he's capable as a backup and draft the QBOTF either next year or the year after.

Listen to this man, smart he is.