PDA

View Full Version : The running game

Pontius Pirate
03-20-2012, 09:28 PM
I heard John Clayton talking about all the Colts that the Broncos will be looking at now that Peyton is on the team, and he mentioned Joseph Addai.

I spit up a bit in my mouth.

That's all we need is a QB with a neck held together by stem cells and a RB who gets a concussion every time he puts his helmet on too hard.

DENVERDUI55
03-20-2012, 09:37 PM
He would be a good 3 rd down back. We are used to moreno being hurt all the time and we could get rid of him now. Clayton is a sh%t thrower anyway looking for something to stick.

KevinJames
03-20-2012, 09:39 PM
More guess work by Clayton ROFL!Moreno is like a better version of Addai.

no thanks...

Pontius Pirate
03-20-2012, 09:40 PM
He would be a good 3 rd down back. We are used to moreno being hurt all the time and we could get rid of him now. Clayton is a sh%t thrower anyway looking for something to stick.

I'm a bit mixed on the Broncos turning into the 2010 Colts. On the one hand, that was a good team. On the other hand, a lot of them (Clark, Addai, Manning) are walking wounded.

Vegas_Bronco
03-20-2012, 09:40 PM
Yall need to read up before posting new threads...signing Addai and Clark and Saturday and Stokley are well digested topics on the OMane.

Requiem
03-20-2012, 09:42 PM
Edgerrin James!!!!!!!

Pontius Pirate
03-20-2012, 09:43 PM
Yall need to read up before posting new threads...signing Addai and Clark and Saturday and Stokley are well digested topics on the OMane.

http://chan.catiewayne.com/c/src/131445919823.gif

Los Broncos
03-20-2012, 09:45 PM
What not go out and get Jacobs, he has something left in the tank.

Pontius Pirate
03-20-2012, 09:48 PM
I say we go out and get Tony Dungy and Marvin Harrison too.

broncosteven
03-20-2012, 09:54 PM
I say stick with McGahee, Ball, and KM (if not drunk at the time) through the TC we should have some draft pick we can throw in the mix also. More woried about DT, MLB, CB now.

Chris
03-20-2012, 10:12 PM
We are going to draft a RB.

cabronco
03-20-2012, 10:21 PM
I say sign Bert Jones to back up PM ! But you can't have #7.

Lycan
03-20-2012, 10:30 PM
I'm more concerned with the fact that a lot of our big runs were either Tebow runs or plays where the defenders were staring at Tebow while the RB ran past them.

I don't think teams will be fearing Peyton's option capabilities. Which means our O-Line is actually going to have to get some push, which means we have to replace Walton and Beadles.

Then again, teams won't be able to stack 9 or 10 guys in the box with Peyton, so that will help.

It's going to be interesting to see how it works out at least.

Taco John
03-20-2012, 10:36 PM
The reason we have to look at Addai is because Moreno is inconsistent and we need depth for that role. As much as I'd rather see us draft a runningback, the fact that we'd even consider Addai probably means that the Broncos would rather use our draft on defense. Hard to argue with that logic if that's the case.

Taco John
03-20-2012, 10:37 PM
I'm more concerned with the fact that a lot of our big runs were either Tebow runs or plays where the defenders were staring at Tebow while the RB ran past them.

I don't think teams will be fearing Peyton's option capabilities. Which means our O-Line is actually going to have to get some push, which means we have to replace Walton and Beadles.

Then again, teams won't be able to stack 9 or 10 guys in the box with Peyton, so that will help.

On the plus side, we actually get to re-implement the quick slant and the three step drop into our offense. (not to mention the 5 and 7 step drop)

ScottXray
03-20-2012, 10:42 PM
The reason we have to look at Addai is because Moreno is inconsistent and we need depth for that role. As much as I'd rather see us draft a runningback, the fact that we'd even consider Addai probably means that the Broncos would rather use our draft on defense. Hard to argue with that logic if that's the case.

Yeah, we are in a Run oriented division and we need to beef up our Line and LBs.

If we can't stop the run we aren't going to get the D off the field.

bpc
03-20-2012, 10:51 PM
I think the addition of Manning SHOULD open up more holes for the HB's. I think McGahee still has the legs to be a 1st/2nd down back. He's not great at catching the football though. I'd keep Slowshon on because I think his skill set actually compliments a team better on 3rd down. He needs to block and catch the ball out of the backfield.

Adding a guy like Addai would not bother me. He reminds me a lot of skill set i just mentioned in regards to Moreno and if there are a few proven guys to split carries amongst, maybe we can keep them all healthy.

With that being said, I would love to add a guy like Ronnie Hillman around round 3 to add some youth to the group and protect us from probable injury to one of the 3 mentioned.

lonestar
03-20-2012, 11:10 PM
Addai could actually come in and help teh rest of the team to learn Manning play calling..

as for moreno if he is not in jail, hell be on suspension..HE IS A MORON..

Breaker
03-20-2012, 11:21 PM
Trade Tebow and McGahee and our first to someone for their first. Use it on Mike Wallace and sign Micheal Bush ...easy peaszy we just upgraded everywhere.

riiiiick
03-21-2012, 03:50 AM

PM never needed much of a run game, until playoffs. Broncos didn't have a run game w/o TT. Not a good combo.

jerseyguy4
03-21-2012, 06:03 AM
What Peyton will need and I'm sure ask for, is a RB who can pick up blocks and is smart enough to learn Peyton's system. I don't know if McGahee and Moreno fill those rolls. If they don't, they will need to be replaced.

Addai was acceptable. (WAS I say. As others said, the goal is not to rebuild the 2010 Colts). Edgerrin was far from a genius, but he was somehow able to follow directions. But the Colts had other backs through the years that just couldn't do it....they stood back there and perpetually looked confused.

I expect the 2012 season to be about mastering basics. These guys are new playing together, and it's important they master this crap. For example, a simple play action pass or run. Peyton prides himself in his acting ability at making them both look identical. The RB's need to be get there also. If they master the basics, a decent running game will be there for whoever is on the field

cmhargrove
03-21-2012, 06:13 AM
I thought before that the Fox system would favor a bruiser like Turbin or Pierce, but the player we may be looking for here is Chris Polk. If you want someone who is an excellent receiver, knows how to block, can run between the tackles, and had a productive career - that looks more like Chris Polk.

I was leaning towards DT/CB in the first round and Turbin in the 2nd, or Pierce in the 3rd/4th, but Polk might be the best weapon for a Manning led offense. Unfortunately, I think we would have to take him at #25 if we wanted him. He won't be there at the bottom of the second round.

TonyR
03-21-2012, 06:30 AM
Bucky Brooks expects we'll be seeing plenty of the Smash/Corner combo routes and All-Go concepts Manning had perfected with Indy, a return to zone blocking from the zone read, the Garcon/Collie-ification of Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker, and a lot fewer huddles than we've ever been accustomed to as Broncos fans.

How about the big uglies and their blocking? Ben Muth thinks they're pretty good; he says Orlando Franklin's pass-blocking deficiencies are a matter of technique rather than ability, and the return to a pass-first QB with pocket awareness should bring out the better of Ryan Clady. Chris Kuper reminds Muth of Logan Mankins, he likes the athleticism of Zane Beadles, and although he thinks Denver should probably upgrade over J.D. Walton, he's not so certain Jeff Saturday is the right man for that job.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/the-daily-lard-3-21-12

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d827ba7d3/article/extreme-makeover-peyton-mannings-impact-on-denvers-offense

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/word-muth/2012/word-muth-scouting-broncos

Requiem
03-21-2012, 06:33 AM
If the Broncos are able to get a third for Tebow (which is being reported) -- I hope that Denver ends up selecting a rusher with that pick because of McGahee's age (still a huge fan and think he's going to do well again!) and the fact that Ball is certainly upgradeable and Moreno missed most all of last season.

I think there is a solid stable of back-up rushers. Personally, I don't think we need to find a guy who can be *the man* when Willis is done, we just need someone to rock it with Willis right now.

I like the value in at the end of two through the fifth round for RB's this year.

Beantown Bronco
03-21-2012, 06:35 AM
Trade Tebow and McGahee and our first to someone for their first. Use it on Mike Wallace and sign Micheal Bush ...easy peaszy we just upgraded everywhere.

Ummmm, what? Why wouldn't we just use our own existing first for Wallace? There's no rule that says it has to be a better first than the #25.

55CrushEm
03-21-2012, 06:37 AM
I say we go out and get Tony Dungy and Marvin Harrison too.

Let's get Steve Entmann and Jeff George too.

TonyR
03-21-2012, 06:38 AM
...sign Micheal Bush...

I really wish this would happen but there doesn't appear to be any plan to do so...

Requiem
03-21-2012, 06:39 AM
I really wish this would happen but there doesn't appear to be any plan to do so...

Probably too much $. Get a third round rookie on the cheap.

BroncoInferno
03-21-2012, 06:41 AM

Frankly, I haven't heard about much interest in Bush from anyone. Has he even made any visits?

Punisher
03-21-2012, 06:43 AM
We are going to draft a RB.

3rd round powerback bank it

TonyR
03-21-2012, 06:54 AM
Frankly, I haven't heard about much interest in Bush from anyone. Has he even made any visits?

The RB FA market has been very quiet in general. Other than Tolbert has there been much of anything? In fact the whole FA market has been pretty quiet after the first few days.

BroncoInferno
03-21-2012, 06:59 AM
The RB FA market has been very quiet in general. Other than Tolbert has there been much of anything? In fact the whole FA market has been pretty quiet after the first few days.

The running back position in general seems to have been devalued league-wide. Teams are reluctant to shell out big bucks because of the short shelf life. Plus, this years draft is pretty deep at RB. I'm guessing our plan will be to nab one somewhere in the top 3 rounds.

TonyR
03-21-2012, 07:02 AM
I'm guessing our plan will be to nab one somewhere in the top 3 rounds.

I hope not. I'd so much prefer they address other needs.

BroncoInferno
03-21-2012, 07:04 AM
I hope not. I'd so much prefer they address other needs.

Running back is a strength in this draft and you don't have to pay them as much. I hope we do grab one. If we select wisely, we can probably get more bang for the buck than paying Bush $3 + million a year. I mean, the dude only averaged 3.8 yards per rush last season, so he's not that great anyway.

Beantown Bronco
03-21-2012, 07:10 AM
I'd rather they go after Jonathan Stewart. His contract is only $1.5 mil or so this year and they could probably get him for whatever pick they get for Tebow and at worst an additional future conditional pick.

BroncoInferno
03-21-2012, 07:14 AM
I'd rather they go after Jonathan Stewart. His contract is only $1.5 mil or so this year and they could probably get him for whatever pick they get for Tebow and at worst an additional future conditional pick.

This would be ideal, but Stewart is in the last year of his deal. Assuming Carolina would even be interested in moving him, we'd need to work out a long-term deal that may exceed what the front office wants to pay. As I said, a lot of teams are reluctant to shell out a ton of cash for a RB. On the other hand, they did pursue DeAngelo Williams last offseason, and Stewart is only 24, so they may not mind it in his case. I still think it's more likely we go the draft route.

long beach bronco
03-21-2012, 08:21 AM
I think the sleeper running back that will turn some heads this season will be Mario Fannin. I think he will be the surprise of training camp this summer....hopefully he can stay healthy.