PDA

View Full Version : They unretired 18?

That One Guy
03-20-2012, 09:26 PM
I admit I didn't know a lot about Broncos history and don't even know the guy but I just read that 18 had been retired but has been unretired for Peyton. That's pretty jacked up. You don't ask a person to do that.

Am I the only one that thinks doing it is jacked up and will open up retired players to criticism if it happens again in the future?

ClamChowdah
03-20-2012, 09:30 PM
These are all the rage in New England

http://townienews.com/images/uploads/seyton-merch.jpg

KevinJames
03-20-2012, 09:31 PM
^New England is gay

Anyway.....
Not a big deal, Peyton was going to wear 16 but Frank reached out to Peyton and insisted Peyton should wear it.

Broncoman13
03-20-2012, 09:31 PM
I admit I didn't know a lot about Broncos history and don't even know the guy but I just read that 18 had been retired but has been unretired for Peyton. That's pretty jacked up. You don't ask a person to do that.

Am I the only one that thinks doing it is jacked up and will open up retired players to criticism if it happens again in the future?

Actually, Frank Tripuka (sp? Way before my time) and Manning had a conversation this morning. Manning was asked to wear #18 and Manning showed a lot of class and dignity for that gesture during his presser, one of the first things he talked about.

That One Guy
03-20-2012, 09:33 PM
Not a big deal, Peyton was going to wear 16 but Frank reached out to Peyton and insisted Peyton should wear it.

I hadn't heard anything about this so I didn't know he initiated it. I still think it's jacked up but that does make it easier to handle. Hopefully players respect the process and nobody tries to replicate the process and start pursuing retired numbers. That's what I'd hate to see.

broncos-rock
03-20-2012, 09:36 PM
^New England is gay

Anyway.....

I love how the media leaves out the tiny little details!

theAPAOps5
03-20-2012, 09:36 PM
I also read that all He wanted in return was a picture with Manning. Manning is flying him out for a game this year to do that. It was a reporter on Twitter forgot which one.

Found it:

Frank Tripucka didn't ask for money from Manning to wear 18, only a picture with the new Broncos QB. Manning is flying him out for a game.

https://twitter.com/LATimesfarmer/statuses/182295473296646144

BroncoMan4ever
03-20-2012, 09:40 PM
I hadn't heard anything about this so I didn't know he initiated it. I still think it's jacked up but that does make it easier to handle. Hopefully players respect the process and nobody tries to replicate the process and start pursuing retired numbers. That's what I'd hate to see.

Tripucka brought it up last week that he felt 18 had been retired 50 years and that was long enough and that he would be honored for Peyton to wear the number.

and honestly it is a number that shouldn't have been retired in the 1st place.

Bronco Yoda
03-20-2012, 09:42 PM
I admit I didn't know a lot about Broncos history and don't even know the guy but I just read that 18 had been retired

I'm shocked

That One Guy
03-20-2012, 09:42 PM
I also read that all He wanted in return was a picture with Manning. Manning is flying him out for a game this year to do that. It was a reporter on Twitter forgot which one.

Found it:

https://twitter.com/LATimesfarmer/statuses/182295473296646144

Hmm.. so we're told that 1, he requested his own number be unretired and then, 2, he didn't ask for money? If HE requested it himself, there shouldn't even be mention of compensation whether it be money or a photo.

But, whatever, I guess it's just me.

Taco John
03-20-2012, 09:43 PM
Tripuka went public that he would be honored to have Manning wear #18 a full week before Manning ever became a Bronco.

theAPAOps5
Hmm.. so we're told that 1, he requested his own number be unretired and then, 2, he didn't ask for money? If HE requested it himself, there shouldn't even be mention of compensation whether it be money or a photo.

Just you

Dedhed
That's pretty dimwitted considering there likely is no franchise in Denver without Frank Tripucka.

That One Guy
Tripucka brought it up last week that he felt 18 had been retired 50 years and that was long enough and that he would be honored for Peyton to wear the number.

Both of those are very valid reasons, I guess. 50 years would be a good benchmark for unretiring numbers.

g00fyfoot
03-20-2012, 09:44 PM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/03/20/peyton-manning-wear-18-broncos/12674/

That's an informative article about it. It was a somewhat unusual situation. Sounds like it was Bob Howsam's idea more than anything.

That One Guy
03-20-2012, 09:44 PM
I'm shocked

:-*

✡✡ JOSHUA ✡✡
03-20-2012, 09:46 PM
Actually, the Broncos PR department tried to discredit Tripucka in 2005 by stating there was no record of his jersey retirement. The Broncos issued No. 18 to WR Grant Mattos in training camp that summer.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=649716&postcount=1

Taco John
03-20-2012, 09:50 PM

I don't know about that. Tripucka is a key piece of Broncos history, not to mention NFL history. He's like the Broncos Sammy Baugh (minus the championships). We might not be the QB hungry fan base we are without the standards that Tripucka set so many years ago (back then 3000 yards was pass happy).

http://i.imgur.com/NNOaY.jpg

BroncoMan4ever
03-20-2012, 09:50 PM
That's pretty dimwitted considering there likely is no franchise in Denver without Frank Tripucka.

bull****. without Little there'd be no franchise in Denver. with Tripucka he wasn't a savior for football in Denver. he was the first QB and the first in NFL history to pass for 3000 yards in a season. Denver was a **** team with him and were for a little over another decade.

BroncoMan4ever
03-20-2012, 09:53 PM
I don't know about that. Tripucka is a key piece of Broncos history, not to mention NFL history. He's like the Broncos Sammy Baugh (minus the championships). We might not be the QB hungry fan base we are without the standards that Tripucka set so many years ago.

http://i.imgur.com/NNOaY.jpg

high standards? the team was pretty much a bottom feeder during his tenure as QB. i guess this is just one of those things that is a "to each his own opinion."

i don't see why his number is retired in the first place, but others may see it differently and i will respect that.

Conklin
03-20-2012, 10:03 PM
Tripucka is 84 & has alzheimer's

Dedhed
03-20-2012, 10:10 PM
bull****. without Little there'd be no franchise in Denver. with Tripucka he wasn't a savior for football in Denver. he was the first QB and the first in NFL history to pass for 3000 yards in a season. Denver was a **** team with him and were for a little over another decade.umm....Without Tripucka, football would have left Denver before Little ever got there.

broncocalijohn
03-20-2012, 10:12 PM

yes, it is you.

bowtown
03-20-2012, 10:15 PM
Actually, the Broncos PR department tried to discredit Tripucka in 2005 by stating there was no record of his jersey retirement. The Broncos issued No. 18 to WR Grant Mattos in training camp that summer.

Real sabotage.

That One Guy
03-20-2012, 10:19 PM
yes, it is you.

I already conceded that, golly gee.

jerseyguy4
03-20-2012, 10:29 PM
I thought the only moment Peyton looked uncomfortable during the press conference was him explaining the jersey un-retirement. Seemed like Frank reached out to him, and Peyton sort of had to accept out of respect.

If Tripucka was looking for wikipedia hits, I bet his daily average just went up x10000

IHaveALight
03-20-2012, 10:30 PM
I like it. Just as long as Dallas Clark knows he can't touch 44.

baja
03-20-2012, 11:15 PM
I thought the only moment Peyton looked uncomfortable during the press conference was him explaining the jersey un-retirement. Seemed like Frank reached out to him, and Peyton sort of had to accept out of respect.

If Tripucka was looking for wikipedia hits, I bet his daily average just went up x10000

He also said he did not believe in un retiring numbers but will wear 18 only because Frank etched out to him and asked him to.

baja
03-20-2012, 11:16 PM
Wouldn't it be grand if Tebow went to an NFC team and meant us in the Super Bowl.

Broncos4Life
03-20-2012, 11:28 PM

Good grief!!!! Its just a #

baja
03-20-2012, 11:30 PM

It's also a great honor to have your's retired.

...and not lightly bestowed.

Bacchus
03-20-2012, 11:31 PM

Is #7 just a number as you put it?

Broncos4tw
03-20-2012, 11:43 PM
While I appreciate his history being our first QB, his #'s were just.. terrible. Possibly the worst statistical #'s to be retired in the history of retiring #s.. EVER. So I love the thought of him being a bit of Bronco history, but I loathe the thought that they felt it necessary to retire his #. But still a classy move on his part to unretire his #.

Besides.. many teams are going to have to end up doing this. You can't retire all your #'s. You'll run out of them. :wiggle:

SouthStndJunkie
03-20-2012, 11:44 PM
Actually, by allowing Peyton Manning to wear #18, fans are actually getting educated on who Frank Tripucka was/is and what he did for the Denver Broncos.

His number may be getting unretired, but I've heard more about him in the last 24 hours than I have my entire life.

Good for Mr. Tripucka to get a little of the spotlight in all of this.

Anikai
03-20-2012, 11:48 PM
I was hoping he would wear 19 so I could wear my Royal jersey with a jacket.

canadianbroncosfan
03-21-2012, 01:47 AM
Actually, by allowing Peyton Manning to wear #18, fans are actually getting educated on who Frank Tripucka was/is and what he did for the Denver Broncos.

His number may be getting unretired, but I've heard more about him in the last 24 hours than I have my entire life.

Good for Mr. Tripucka to get a little of the spotlight in all of this.

^

ol#7
03-21-2012, 02:06 AM
Is #7 just a number as you put it?

Funny you should mention that, because they were going to retire #7 for Morton! It was Morton who told them not to because of Elway, so that he could get the number, and said at the time that Elway would take his number into the HOF.

cutthemdown
03-21-2012, 03:18 AM
Personally myself i would have said retired number means retired, and then pick a new number. Whatever though not a huge deal unless its number 7.

Dendave
03-21-2012, 05:18 AM
I don't understand the retirement of numbers to begin with. Don't most kids pick numbers based on who wears the number? I know I did. I would be pissed if I wore a number all through out little league, high school and college and then get to the pros and "were sorry but you can't wear that number it's retired" I think it's stupid

Kaylore
03-21-2012, 07:48 AM

You are really determined to find something to be upset about here, aren't you? Likely Manning offered something and Tripucka refused since they are both those kind of guys.

I'm sure it will be fun for Frank to say only he and Manning wore that number for the Broncos.

spdirty
03-21-2012, 07:57 AM
I don't understand the retirement of numbers to begin with. Don't most kids pick numbers based on who wears the number? I know I did. I would be pissed if I wore a number all through out little league, high school and college and then get to the pros and "were sorry but you can't wear that number it's retired" I think it's stupid

No. As a fan it wouldn't seem OK at all if someone decided to wear John Elways number. Unless Elway himself reached out to a player and told them he would be honored if that player wore his number.

The Manning/Tripucka story is nice. This is where I am completely OK with unretiring a number for a player.

Pony Boy
03-21-2012, 08:26 AM

Blasphemy

Tombstone RJ
03-21-2012, 08:29 AM

When the Broncos retire #18 again, will it have two names attached to the number? If the Broncos win a SB?

BroncoBeavis
03-21-2012, 08:30 AM
When the Broncos retire #18 again, will it have two names attached to the number? If the Broncos win a SB?

Manning will retire a Colt. And the Colts #18 will be retired for him.

But I think it's great that Frank got some props out of the deal, and is fine with it.

Tombstone RJ
03-21-2012, 08:32 AM
Manning will retire a Colt. And the Colts #18 will be retired for him.

Ok, but I'm talking about the Broncos #18 which is/was a retired number but you wouldn't know anything about Tripucka because you're a poser Broncos fan. :welcome:

BroncoBeavis
03-21-2012, 08:33 AM
Ok, but I'm talking about the Broncos #18 which is/was a retired number but you wouldn't know anything about Tripucka because you're a poser Broncos fan. :welcome:

Not sure why you'd want to retire a Broncos jersey in the name of a guy who'll retire as a Colt. Crazy what the SupaFans come up with.

Tombstone RJ
03-21-2012, 08:55 AM
Not sure why you'd want to retire a Broncos jersey in the name of a guy who'll retire as a Colt. Crazy what the SupaFans come up with.

Point is the Broncos #18 is retired already. The guy who wore #18--Tripucka--told Manning he could wear the number. So when Manning is finished, it will again be a retired number.

crowebomber
03-21-2012, 09:19 AM

This.

He was an assistant coach on that first team when the qb and backup went down in the preseason. He stepped in. Without him doing that, the team might not have gotten off the ground.

Also, he was the first qb to throw for 3000 yards.

Appreciate Bronco history kiddies.

crowebomber
03-21-2012, 09:24 AM
While I appreciate his history being our first QB, his #'s were just.. terrible. Possibly the worst statistical #'s to be retired in the history of retiring #s.. EVER. So I love the thought of him being a bit of Bronco history, but I loathe the thought that they felt it necessary to retire his #. But still a classy move on his part to unretire his #.

Besides.. many teams are going to have to end up doing this. You can't retire all your #'s. You'll run out of them. :wiggle:

I guess you don't understand. Back in the start of those AFL teams, they were practicing on middle school fields, not getting paid, thrown together with duct tape and wire. When both qbs were injured right before the Broncos first game ever, there wasn't a list of available qbs to bring in or a practice squad. If Tripucka didn't step out of his role as coach and play, then the Broncos might have just folded up and never happened.

ScottXray
03-21-2012, 09:24 AM
bull****. without Little there'd be no franchise in Denver. with Tripucka he wasn't a savior for football in Denver. he was the first QB and the first in NFL history to pass for 3000 yards in a season. Denver was a **** team with him and were for a little over another decade.

You idiot... Tripucka put butts in the seats. The Broncos were close to folding up shop in Denver, a real close thing. Without Tripucka there never would have been a Little as a a Bronco, cause there wouldn't have been a Broncos by 66.

Yeah, retiring his Jersey was an honor not really based on his stats...but a thank you from the then owner for keeping his franchise alive.

Endy
03-21-2012, 09:49 AM

Well yeah, but that was Grant Mattos. We'd be stupid not to let him wear #7 on the front and #25 on the back.

Tom G
03-21-2012, 11:50 AM
Sorry, I have to chip in here. I first watched the Broncos in 1961 and have had season tickets since 1962. Tripucka was one of the worst QBs to have ever started for the Broncos. He only played for 3 years. His passer rating was 55.9. His TD/INT ratio was 51/85. His won/loss record was 14/24. He couldn't throw the ball more than 20 yards, mostly 5 to 10 yard dump offs. His passing stats would be even worse except for Lionel Taylors acrobatics as a receiver.

The press called him "The Tripper". The fans called him "The Puck-a". It's arguable that he shouldn't even be in the Ring Of Fame, let alone being one of only three Broncos to have his number retired, along with Elway and Little. That's really an insult to John and Floyd, both HOFers.

I'm not trying to be mean to Frank here, and in those early years the Broncos were truly pathetic, from ownership to stadium to coaches to roster. I appreciate that Tripucka was the first Bronco QB and that he is a class gentleman. But history aside, his performance doesn't rate the very special honor of having his number retired. I do appreciate his gesture to offer #18 to Manning. Like I said, he is a class person, just not performance worthy of having his number retired.

Tom G
03-21-2012, 11:57 AM
Sorry, I have to chip in here. I first watched the Broncos in 1961 and have had season tickets since 1962. Tripucka was one of the worst QBs to have ever started for the Broncos. He only played for 3 years. His passer rating was 55.9. His TD/INT ratio was 51/85. His won/loss record was 14/24. He couldn't throw the ball more than 20 yards, mostly 5 to 10 yard dump offs. His passing stats would be even worse except for Lionel Taylors acrobatics as a receiver.

The press called him "The Tripper". The fans called him "The Puck-a". It's arguable that he shouldn't even be in the Ring Of Fame, let alone being one of only three Broncos to have his number retired, along with Elway and Little. That's really an insult to John and Floyd, both HOFers.

I'm not trying to be mean to Frank here, and in those early years the Broncos were truly pathetic, from ownership to stadium to coaches to roster. I appreciate that Tripucka was the first Bronco QB and that he is a class gentleman. But history aside, his performance doesn't rate the very special honor of having his number retired. I do appreciate his gesture to offer #18 to Manning. Like I said, he is a class person, just not performance worthy of having his number retired.