PDA

View Full Version : DeMeco Ryans traded to the Eagles

That One Guy
03-20-2012, 04:28 PM
Just saw on PFT that Ryans is being traded to the Eagles for a mid-round pick. I just got in from fishing so my brain isn't yet working but I know not too long ago he was doing really well. DROY candidate, I believe. Did he tank or is there just not a lot of demand for 4-3 MLBs?

DBroncos4life
03-20-2012, 04:31 PM
People dog them for all the moves they made not working last year and all but, man if they click that team should be good.

Tombstone RJ
03-20-2012, 04:32 PM
must have something to do with the switch to the base 3-4 defense or maybe he doesn't like Wade Phillips or something?

TheReverend
03-20-2012, 04:34 PM
Their "priority" ILB is Cushing. They don't need Ryans. He's still talented but under-utilized.

Great move for Philly.

BroncoMan4ever
03-20-2012, 04:38 PM
with all the talent seemingly available, why the **** are we sticking with Mays and DJ?

That One Guy
03-20-2012, 04:44 PM
with all the talent seemingly available, why the **** are we sticking with Mays and DJ?

This is why I am so perplexed, I guess. We're currently, apparently, going into the season with Mays and/or Irving to be the answer in the middle. That seems like quite the risk if there is legitimate talent available. MLB is one of the most crucial individual positions on the field yet they're willing to gamble on it.

BroncoMan4ever
03-20-2012, 04:45 PM
This is why I am so perplexed, I guess. We're currently, apparently, going into the season with Mays and/or Irving to be the answer in the middle. That seems like quite the risk if there is legitimate talent available. MLB is one of the most crucial individual positions on the field yet they're willing to gamble on it.

maybe Hitower is the target at 25

gyldenlove
03-20-2012, 04:47 PM
Ryans is a decent 4-3 MLB, but not a great fit for the 3-4.

elsid13
03-20-2012, 04:48 PM
I am surprised that the texans have let go of three starter in the last month. I wonder if they are about to make a big move for someone.

DBroncos4life
Just because a guy was traded doesn't mean he was being offered to us.

That One Guy

Shut it, party pooper.

MVP-06
03-20-2012, 04:49 PM
For only a mid round pick he is a steal

DBroncos4life
03-20-2012, 04:50 PM
Shut it, party pooper.

Sorry :clown:

txtebow
03-20-2012, 04:50 PM
My first gut reaction? WHY DIDN'T WE PURSUE RYANS??? ...but knowing that we were probable destination for Manning, Im sure that Houston wasn't going to trade him inside the conference anyhow...GREAT, GREAT move for Philly....

txtebow
03-20-2012, 04:51 PM
Who is he displacing in Philly?

elsid13
03-20-2012, 04:52 PM

Clay Matthew's younger brother.

DBroncos4life
03-20-2012, 04:53 PM

Jamar Chaney, I really liked him coming out of the draft a couple years ago.

TheReverend
03-20-2012, 04:55 PM

Clearly.

I mean... why would they want another bidder from another division and a place their HC has close ties to just to drive up the compensation price?

Jekyll15Hyde
03-20-2012, 04:56 PM
I would have been very pleased with Ryans as our MLB, especially at that price
Having a hard time deciding which I want more at 25... Hightower or getting Wallace

DBroncos4life
03-20-2012, 04:57 PM
Clearly.

I mean... why would they want another bidder from another division and a place their HC has close ties to just to drive up the compensation price?

You're right he was offered to us and we turned it down. ****ing John Elway!

HorseHead
03-20-2012, 04:57 PM
are those real?

UberBroncoMan
03-20-2012, 04:59 PM
****ing A...why didn't we go for that. A mid-round pick for him? Joe Mays...DeMeco Ryans... Joe Mays... DeMeco Ryans...

TheReverend
03-20-2012, 05:00 PM
You're right he was offered to us and we turned it down. ****ing John Elway!

Well that's kinda how the block works...

They didn't get a midround offer from the Eagles and say, "No need to look elsewhere! Let's just take it!"

TheReverend
03-20-2012, 05:01 PM
FYI, here's why we didn't take "the offer" for Demeco and why Houston put him up for grabs anyway:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/demeco-ryans/

^ 7.4 mill cap hit in 2012. Even if Houston has to pick up the bonus, that's 6 million for Demeco and another 4-5 for Mays.

gyldenlove
03-20-2012, 05:03 PM
I honestly wouldn't pay a middle linebacker like Ryans 6+ mill per year, although I guess with Mays being heavily overpaid you could make an argument that the skill upgrade comes pretty cheap.

DBroncos4life
03-20-2012, 05:04 PM
Well that's kinda how the block works...

They didn't get a midround offer from the Eagles and say, "No need to look elsewhere! Let's just take it!"
I'm sure Kubes wasn't in the mood to make Denver stronger just to get a "better" draft pick.

That One Guy
03-20-2012, 05:05 PM
FYI, here's why we didn't take "the offer" for Demeco and why Houston put him up for grabs anyway:

^ 7.4 mill cap hit in 2012. Even if Houston has to pick up the bonus, that's 6 million for Demeco and another 4-5 for Mays.

The 4 mil for Mays pretty much means he's looked at as a starter and I think Mane optimism is that maybe Irving will supplant him. Just.. if Ryans is only worth a mid-round pick, there obviously isn't a lot of demand for 4-3 MLBs right now. With whatshisface from the Ravens still available (I have to assume he's asking wayyy too much or teams aren't buying into him), settling for Mays and giving him a good chunk of money just seems like all of this has been ill played. It's quite confusing.

Jekyll15Hyde
03-20-2012, 05:06 PM

Well there you go. I like him but that doesnt fit in the plan

TheReverend
I'm sure Kubes wasn't in the mood to make Denver stronger just to get a "better" draft pick.

Did you get a ****ing lobotomy over the past year or something?

Your take on this issue is nothing shy of retarded.

I say again:

That One Guy
I honestly wouldn't pay a middle linebacker like Ryans 6+ mill per year, although I guess with Mays being heavily overpaid you could make an argument that the skill upgrade comes pretty cheap.

Why is that? Like I said, I may not have paid much attention to him recently but I know he was a tackling machine and highly regarded a couple years ago. Is he not worth 2 extra mil over Mays who has gaping holes in his game?

broncogary
03-20-2012, 05:09 PM
I think he lost something due to the 2010 Achilles tendon injury. Maybe not a great fit for the 3-4 also at that price, as an ILB.

Tombstone RJ
03-20-2012, 05:11 PM
The 4 mil for Mays pretty much means he's looked at as a starter and I think Mane optimism is that maybe Irving will supplant him. Just.. if Ryans is only worth a mid-round pick, there obviously isn't a lot of demand for 4-3 MLBs right now. With whatshisface from the Ravens still available (I have to assume he's asking wayyy too much or teams aren't buying into him), settling for Mays and giving him a good chunk of money just seems like all of this has been ill played. It's quite confusing.

it's a one year contract which means (IMHO) that Mays will get the starting job but the Broncos are hoping Irving will supplant him. That's the way I read it 'cause it's a lot of money for a mediocre MLB.

Now if the Broncos bring in Jameel McClain then they are basically saying Irving has no future at MLB and will probably move him to another position. I think the Broncos would probably love to bring in McClain but at the right price and now that Mays is inked to essentially a 1 year deal, this probably won't happen.

DBroncos4life
03-20-2012, 05:11 PM
Did you get a ****ing lobotomy over the past year or something?

Your take on this issue is nothing shy of retarded.

I say again:

Come on Ryans was clearly being shopped before Denver signed Mays.

gyldenlove
03-20-2012, 05:12 PM
Why is that? Like I said, I may not have paid much attention to him recently but I know he was a tackling machine and highly regarded a couple years ago. Is he not worth 2 extra mil over Mays who has gaping holes in his game?

Ryans is limited against the pass just like Mays is, although Ryans is better against the run and a better tackle. 6+ million for a non pass rushing linebacker puts you in the top 5 for salary, which is fine if you are Patrick Willis, Jerod Meyo or someone like that, but way too much for a guy who is essentially a good 2-down guy.

That One Guy
03-20-2012, 05:13 PM
Ryans is limited against the pass just like Mays is, although Ryans is better against the run and a better tackle. 6+ million for a non pass rushing linebacker puts you in the top 5 for salary, which is fine if you are Patrick Willis, Jerod Meyo or someone like that, but way too much for a guy who is essentially a good 2-down guy.

Gotcha. Makes sense.

BroncoMan4ever
03-20-2012, 05:36 PM

i have to wonder with Mays. why were so many so high on McClain when he would play the same role as Mays. 2 down run stuffer that has never been a full time starter and a guy who is a liability in coverage.

if we can upgrade the DT and replace DJ(not worried about his play, just don't like him and don't think his legal woes are worth it) Mays wouldn't look as bad.

he isn't a guy who can run ballcarriers down, but if the DL can funnel runners to the middle he can lay down massive hits. i don't think the deficiency is as much with him as it is with our DL.

barryr
03-20-2012, 05:39 PM
And the Broncos waste time with Mays?

That One Guy
03-20-2012, 05:44 PM
i have to wonder with Mays. why were so many so high on McClain when he would play the same role as Mays. 2 down run stuffer that has never been a full time starter and a guy who is a liability in coverage.

if we can upgrade the DT and replace DJ(not worried about his play, just don't like him and don't think his legal woes are worth it) Mays wouldn't look as bad.

he isn't a guy who can run ballcarriers down, but if the DL can funnel runners to the middle he can lay down massive hits. i don't think the deficiency is as much with him as it is with our DL.

80% of us take direction from the 20% who actually watch games and pay attention to particular people. I watch the football usually. I think more are like me than care to admit it and since everyone else wants someone, assume he must be good.

I admit it, I take most Maners at their word and assume they know better than I. In reality, most are just taking someone else's word for it and it all becomes circular.

cmhargrove
03-20-2012, 05:45 PM
So, every mock draft out there has the Eagles picking Kuechly at #15. Just a thought, but it's actually possible for him to drop to us in round 1. I'm pretty excited about this development.

Tim
03-20-2012, 05:50 PM
I would have thought he was more valuable than a 4th and swapping 2nd rounders. Good move for philly, the texans linebacker core must be deep if they can spare super mario and d.ryans

That One Guy
03-20-2012, 05:51 PM
I would have thought he was more valuable than a 4th and swapping 2nd rounders. Good move for philly, the texans linebacker core must be deep if they can spare super mario and d.ryans

Is that the final call on compensation?

Beantown Bronco
03-20-2012, 05:59 PM
So, every mock draft out there has the Eagles picking Kuechly at #15. Just a thought, but it's actually possible for him to drop to us in round 1. I'm pretty excited about this development.

If we ever moved up in the first round to nab him, I'd run through the streets naked.

That One Guy
03-20-2012, 06:00 PM
If we ever moved up in the first round to nab him, I'd run through the streets naked.

In a rage or excitement? Getting nekked is one of those things that's acceptable in either scenario.

Beantown Bronco
03-20-2012, 06:04 PM
Excitement. Would LOVE the pick.

Tim
03-20-2012, 06:04 PM
Is that the final call on compensation?

I was wrong they are swapping 3rds not 2nds, but as I read it on the bottom line ticker was :

4th round pick from texans and trade the texan's 89th pick for the eagles 77th.

BroncoMan4ever
03-20-2012, 06:26 PM

i would wager is Kuechly hits 20 someone will move up for him. no way does he last to 25.

pricejj
03-20-2012, 06:36 PM

Very true. Plus, Mays has been in the system for a year, and did ok for his first year starting...the FO probably thought it was better to just stick with him than to go with somebody brand new who has a similar talent level.

ColoradoDarin
09-19-2012, 07:41 AM
Derp

Punisher
09-19-2012, 09:40 AM
Lol