PDA

View Full Version : It has been a whirlwind 6 years for this franchise

ro_50
03-20-2012, 11:55 AM
Ever since that January 2006 day when the Broncs lost to the Steelers in the AFC title game, it has been a whirlwind. From Plummer to Cutler to Orton to Tebow to Manning; the tragic deaths of three players and to Shanny leaving to McDaniels and that drama.

Has any franchise gone through more in last six years on and off the field? It has been eventful.

riiiiick
03-20-2012, 12:21 PM
I remember Cutler draft day and how excited many were to finally get a QB who could throw. I thought then, that this was a huge step in the wrong direction. Plummer, years later, said that day something changed in him and his desire to play. But the shinny new toy was too hard to resist for the FO. Today reminds me of that day. Changing a working direction, for the shinny new toy. Everyone is so happy but it seems to me, just like it did back then, another step in the wrong direction. Hope I'm wrong and it works out for both the Broncos and TT wherever he ends up.

BroncoBen
03-20-2012, 12:29 PM
Ever since that January 2006 day when the Broncs lost to the Steelers in the AFC title game, it has been a whirlwind. From Plummer to Cutler to Orton to Tebow to Manning; the tragic deaths of three players and to Shanny leaving to McDaniels and that drama.

Has any franchise gone through more in last six years on and off the field? It has been eventful.

No kidding... I remember the Broncos losing that game to the Steelers.. I kept waiting for Plummer to take the team on his back and win the game. Never happened.. Jake 'The Snake' played not to lose the game.. instead of playing to win.

But you are right.. six years of turmoil.

BroncoMan4ever
03-20-2012, 12:42 PM
I remember Cutler draft day and how excited many were to finally get a QB who could throw. I thought then, that this was a huge step in the wrong direction. Plummer, years later, said that day something changed in him and his desire to play. But the shinny new toy was too hard to resist for the FO. Today reminds me of that day. Changing a working direction, for the shinny new toy. Everyone is so happy but it seems to me, just like it did back then, another step in the wrong direction. Hope I'm wrong and it works out for both the Broncos and TT wherever he ends up.

**** i hated that day. that team was a RB and a defensive playmaker away from a super bowl 3 months earlier, and Shanahan had to take pork cutlet.

this team could have drafted Ngata, we had 2 1st round picks, we could have gotten Adrian Peterson possibly. this team could have armed itself to return in 06 and kick some ass, but Shanahan decided to blow it up.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/a5R_pS0h5Qk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

enjolras
03-20-2012, 12:46 PM

This is just puzzling to me. What have you seen out of Tebow that makes you believe that he's the long-term answer going forward?

I see almost nothing in Tebow to suggest that he's ever going to achieve the accuracy, consistency, and poise it takes to succeed on a regular basis in the NFL.

I have my reservations about Manning's health, but zero about his ability. My only wish is that he was 3 years younger.

baja
03-20-2012, 12:55 PM
How many times was Manning sacked in his career?

riiiiick
03-20-2012, 12:55 PM
This is just puzzling to me. What have you seen out of Tebow that makes you believe that he's the long-term answer going forward?

I see almost nothing in Tebow to suggest that he's ever going to achieve the accuracy, consistency, and poise it takes to succeed on a regular basis in the NFL.

I have my reservations about Manning's health, but zero about his ability. My only wish is that he was 3 years younger.

I like TT for the same reasons I liked Plummer, fun to watch, love to win guys - even if it was ugly. Not having the best form, but somehow making it work. I believe Denver had the 2nd best win % in NFL during Jakes starts. I think TT will do the same given the chance.

Tombstone RJ
03-20-2012, 12:57 PM

Great post my friend. Yep, I agree, this has been the rockiest 6 years I can remember as a Broncos fan. So many changes, so many fans confused, so many mixed signals. Even the Bowlen stuff like his battle with the former owner and his ongoing health issues.

Fact is, much of this turmoil falls on Bowlen's shoulders. He let Shanny have too much control and when Shanahan left there was a huge void to fill and the Broncos simple did not have the capacity to fill that void with the right people.

Hopefully this turmoil is over and Elway can bring real stability!

BroncoBeavis
03-20-2012, 12:59 PM
**** i hated that day. that team was a RB and a defensive playmaker away from a super bowl 3 months earlier, and Shanahan had to take pork cutlet.

this team could have drafted Ngata, we had 2 1st round picks, we could have gotten Adrian Peterson possibly. this team could have armed itself to return in 06 and kick some ass, but Shanahan decided to blow it up.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/a5R_pS0h5Qk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

GD the irony is thick.

baja
03-20-2012, 12:59 PM
What was the biggest mistake Bowlen made during those 6 years?

I'd say it was giving too much power to a 32 year old first time head coach.

snowspot66
03-20-2012, 01:00 PM

Greatest college player of all time isn't worth at least a couple of years to find out one way or another?

Tombstone RJ
03-20-2012, 01:07 PM

I agree. Throwing McD into the meat grinder ended up being a huge mistake. The Broncos should have done the right thing, hire a legitimate GM (or specifically give Xanders the job, not just the paper title) and then hire a coach. Instead, they made a few huge mistakes. First they hire a offensive minded kid with no HC experience, and then they basically give him the keys to the empire nullifying Xanders power.

At the very least they should have hired a defensive minded HC and one who had HC experience.

Poor managment decisions by Bowlen.

ro_50
03-20-2012, 01:08 PM
Great post my friend. Yep, I agree, this has been the rockiest 6 years I can remember as a Broncos fan. So many changes, so many fans confused, so many mixed signals. Even the Bowlen stuff like his battle with the former owner and his ongoing health issues.

Fact is, much of this turmoil falls on Bowlen's shoulders. He let Shanny have too much control and when Shanahan left there was a huge void to fill and the Broncos simple did not have the capacity to fill that void with the right people.

Hopefully this turmoil is over and Elway can bring real stability!

I agree! Hopefully as fans, there is some stability now!

bendog
03-20-2012, 01:11 PM
Damn, it seems longer than that. I suppose torture victims say that too.

McDman
03-20-2012, 01:15 PM

That's definitely the biggest.