PDA

View Full Version : Darryl Johnston says Tebow should stay

DarkHorse30
03-20-2012, 09:02 AM
(on Cowherd) I agree. I like the guy. I think the press has been fumbling the Tebow football the day he was drafted - and are continuing to do so. I'm laughing at their vehemence.

baja
03-20-2012, 09:05 AM
I never got why everyone assumes Tebow will be traded. Elway wanted to teach Tebow to be a good pocket passer here is his golden chance.

Rohirrim
03-20-2012, 09:07 AM
I never got why everyone assumes Tebow will be traded. Elway wanted to teach Tebow to be a good pocket passer here is his golden chance.

Given his personal fan-base, he could become a distraction. I wouldn't be opposed to keeping him around in an H-back sort of role.

Darkhawk24
Tebow isn't going to find a team looking to hand him the starting job. In the same breathe I am not sure that Denver is the right situation anymore even for Tebow to play the backup role.

At this point ... Anywhere else would probably work.

jhns
I think that would be best for this team. We don't have to worry about backup QB and Tebow could be something really special in 3-4 years, after learning from Elway and Manning.

With that said, I also don't care if we get rid of him. He could get us more resources to help with our current SB push.

houghtam
Oh absolutely, the press has made the Tebow thing into more than the Tebow thing actually is, times a million. And Skip Bayless, as funny as I think he is sometimes, was the ringleader.

If I were Tebow, I have a hard time saying that I would stay in Denver, because I don't know what was or wasn't said to him during this whole Manning fiasco. But if I did decide to do that, I would come out to the press and say "Look guys, I'm the backup, and I'm going to learn behind one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time. I don't want to hear questions about 'do you think you should be starting since Manning threw that pick today.' I'm going to sit patiently, work on my game, and step in when I'm needed, so stop the circus."

Guess we'll never know.

Jetmeck
03-20-2012, 09:08 AM
Smart FO would not give away a goal line threat like this and a possible long term QB of the future for a pittance. They are not going to get much anyway so keep the guy. Idiots chime in now..................

Taco John
03-20-2012, 09:10 AM
Tim Tebow reportedly hopes to 'land somewhere in Florida'

Tim Tebow and the rest of his camp kept quiet throughout his team's courtship of Peyton Manning, and when news broke Monday that Manning intended to make Denver his new home, not a word could be heard from Tebow.

Tebow's silent strategy, however, didn't take into account for Monica Culpepper -- wife of former NFL and Florida Gators player Brad Culpepper -- who might have inadvertently revealed Tebow's future intentions when she detailed a conversation with Tebow to WFLA-AM in Tampa Bay.

"Brad and I just had dinner with Tim last week and I don't think this comes as a shock or surprise to him that Manning was actually going to go there," Culpepper told the radio station Tuesday, via ProFootballTalk.com. "And in all honesty, Tim said, 'I miss home. I miss the South. And hopefully I'll land somewhere in Florida.' I sure hope Jacksonville takes him because he's such a great kid, such a good player and would be so thrilled to come back to the South."

A source told NFL Network's Albert Breer on Monday that the Broncos had begun to explore Tebow trade options, and five teams already have expressed interest in the Broncos' one-time starting quarterback, a league source told NFL Network's Michael Lombardi on Tuesday.

More:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d827b9639/article/tim-tebow-reportedly-hopes-to-land-somewhere-in-florida?campaign=Twitter_news

hades
03-20-2012, 09:12 AM
Was Denver even allowed to talk to Tebow during this whole Manning acquisition? I thought with the CBA, they could not talk to him, so maybe they could not tell him of "the plan"?

Gort
03-20-2012, 09:15 AM
Oh absolutely, the press has made the Tebow thing into more than the Tebow thing actually is, times a million. And Skip Bayless, as funny as I think he is sometimes, was the ringleader.

If I were Tebow, I have a hard time saying that I would stay in Denver, because I don't know what was or wasn't said to him during this whole Manning fiasco. But if I did decide to do that, I would come out to the press and say "Look guys, I'm the backup, and I'm going to learn behind one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time. I don't want to hear questions about 'do you think you should be starting since Manning threw that pick today.' I'm going to sit patiently, work on my game, and step in when I'm needed, so stop the circus."

Guess we'll never know.

it would be dumb to get rid of Tebow right now. we don't know that Manning is going to survive all 5 years of his contract. for all we know, the first time he's sacked in 2012, his pumpkin-sized head will pop off. Tebow is under contract for 2 more years. i say keep him around as the backup and let him learn to be a better pocket passer. that means more than just running the scout team during the week though. they'll actually have to actively work with Tebow for once.

of course, this will drive the "OM idiots brigade" of Tebow haters absolutely insane. you know the ones i'm talking about. that would be a happy bonus for me.

Rabb
03-20-2012, 09:15 AM
It's a matter of time before Manning has one bad half and the chants would begin, that is how stupid some of the fan base is right now. IMO, I don't think we can keep him for the distraction alone.

baja
03-20-2012, 09:16 AM
Well I hope Tim finds a great situation to play in and I hope it's here but that may not be in his best interests.

One thing is for sure he's great for the game.

Darkhawk24
03-20-2012, 09:21 AM
Well I hope Tim finds a great situation to play in and I hope it's here but that may not be in his best interests.

No doubt about that. It's going to be a tricky situation. His value doesn't appear to be that high on the open trade market. And there is some proof that he brings value to the team.

I am curious what the FO does in this situation.

peacepipe
03-20-2012, 09:22 AM
It's a matter of time before Manning has one bad half and the chants would begin, that is how stupid some of the fan base is right now. IMO, I don't think we can keep him for the distraction alone.exactly the reason TT is gone. via trade or release. that "fanbase" may actually hurt him more than help him. especially in jax where they just drafted gabbert.

DarkHorse30
03-20-2012, 09:23 AM
I don't buy into "the horrible Tebow fanbase that is ruining my own fan-ity" crap.

But the press and a lot of Omaners can't get past the idea that Tebow is more popular than they understand. They can't understand it, therefore it's wrong.

I think Tebow can/will appreciate the greatness in QB that surrounds him right now. He's got a lot of great opportunity here....I believe he will take all of that into account and not jump to ANY conclusion. "I miss Florida" means he doesn't want to be in Denver?

hades
03-20-2012, 09:25 AM
I don't buy into "the horrible Tebow fanbase that is ruining my own fan-ity" crap.

But the press and a lot of Omaners can't get past the idea that Tebow is more popular than they understand. They can't understand it, therefore it's wrong.

I think Tebow can/will appreciate the greatness in QB that surrounds him right now. He's got a lot of great opportunity here....I believe he will take all of that into account and not jump to ANY conclusion. "I miss Florida" means he doesn't want to be in Denver?

Denver's like a 6, Fl is like an 8 or 9 I heard.

Darkhawk24
03-20-2012, 09:27 AM
He is going to be a bit shell shocked and it's only human nature to feel under appreciated in this situation.

However, I can't think of a time that Tim put his foot in his mouth. I think he will always be a class act when he opens his mouth. Be it rumors, if he is traded, or even if he stays.

He will say the right things for the situation.

Rohirrim
03-20-2012, 09:27 AM

He is great for the game, no doubt about that. I wonder if the league will try and encourage some team to take him? Like Miami, for example, which seems to be falling into a sinkhole?

Rabb
03-20-2012, 09:32 AM

Don't get me wrong here, I am not TGN and letting anyone ruin my level of fandom with the team or a single gameday experience. Just saying, I personally don't think the 2 players can co-exist and sadly it has nothing to do with Tim as a player or person.

peacepipe
03-20-2012, 09:33 AM

I think Tebow can/will appreciate the greatness in QB that surrounds him right now. He's got a lot of great opportunity here....I believe he will take all of that into account and not jump to ANY conclusion. "I miss Florida" means he doesn't want to be in Denver?you don't need to,just look at the billboards put up by know nothing fans & the tebow chants. also who ****ing cares how popular he is? it's not a popularity contest. I'd sooner have an ass hole at QB that can actually play QB than some nice guy who can't.
I'm sure TT could appreciate the greatness of PM/JE,but can he understand it. even your boy skip bayless says he has a low football iq. I miss fl. is just his spin on the fact that miami & jax are his only chances of maybe being a starter.

houghtam
03-20-2012, 09:35 AM
Denver's like a 6, Fl is like an 8 or 9 I heard.

LOL

cmhargrove
03-20-2012, 09:36 AM
I personally (in my heart) want Tebow to stay, but it already feels like pining over your old girlfriend. No matter how good it was, or how magic it felt, it will never be the same. It's a damn shame because I really love what he did for our team last year, it was special.

I think Elway slammed the book on this chapter.

BroncoBeavis
03-20-2012, 09:36 AM
you don't need to,just look at the billboards put up by know nothing fans & the tebow chants. also who ****ing cares how popular he is? it's not a popularity contest. I'd sooner have an a-hole at QB that can actually play QB than some nice guy who can't.
I'm sure TT could appreciate the greatness of PM/JE,but can he understand it. even your boy skip bayless says he has a low football iq. I miss fl. is just his spin on the fact that miami & jax are his only chances of maybe being a starter.

Yeah, those know-nothing fans who knew the team could do better than 1-4 when it comes to 'best chance to win'

As someone else said. EFX better thank their lucky stars for those fans. Because if last season had gone by the EFX plan, Manning would've laughed the Broncos off the phone when they inquired.

Jetmeck
03-20-2012, 09:40 AM
Yeah, those know-nothing fans who knew the team could do better than 1-4 when it comes to 'best chance to win'

As someone else said. EFX better thank their lucky stars for those fans. Because if last season had gone by the EFX plan, Manning would've laughed the Broncos off the phone when the inquired.

lol, don't throw facts into the mix or the FACT that Manning could get hurt quickly and we would have NOTHING for QB............fuggin dumbass PP will never understand....he just hates TT.

peacepipe
03-20-2012, 09:44 AM
lol, don't throw facts into the mix or the FACT that Manning could get hurt quickly and we would have NOTHING for QB............fuggin dumbass PP will never understand....he just hates TT.

oh please, every QB in the league ,incuding TT,can get hurt quickly. besides I never said he was a bad person,just that he's a bust. I've said from the time he was still in college. My opinion of him has always been the same. there's blueprint for tebow,once teams figuered him out he didn't do to well.didn't we finish the same way we started 1-4.

mwill07
03-20-2012, 09:52 AM
Tebow should absolutely stay. I'd much rather have Tebow than a low (or even mid) draft pick. Tebow would not start anywhere in 2012, so if you are going to be a back-up anyways, why not behind a 36 yr old QB with neck issues? IMO Denver is the best place for him.

BroncoBeavis
03-20-2012, 09:53 AM
Tebow should absolutely stay. I'd much rather have Tebow than a low (or even mid) draft pick. Tebow would not start anywhere in 2012, so if you are going to be a back-up anyways, why not behind a 36 yr old QB with neck issues? IMO Denver is the best place for him.

If Tebow goes to Jax, he starts. No question.

baja
03-20-2012, 09:55 AM
He is great for the game, no doubt about that. I wonder if the league will try and encourage some team to take him? Like Miami, for example, which seems to be falling into a sinkhole?

Hope he stays right where he is. Let's say Manning just can't cut it for what ever reason. Old injury new injury new team cold weather whatever the reason he's not the Payton manning of old. Who do you want to replace him? We got Tebow on the roster, have had success with him and he has an affordable contract.

maher_tyler
03-20-2012, 10:02 AM
Either we keep him and deal with the possible distraction. Or we trade him for little to nothing. Teams will assume we're trying to get rid of him and low ball us knowing if we don't trade we'll just release him. I think the best business move would be to hold onto him for the jersey sales. I think there is more of an upside on holding on to him than trading or releasing him.

Rohirrim
03-20-2012, 10:03 AM
Hope he stays right where he is. Let's say Manning just can't cut it for what ever reason. Old injury new injury new team cold weather whatever the reason he's not the Payton manning of old. Who do you want to replace him? We got Tebow on the roster, have had success with him and he has an affordable contract.

I think the nuts and bolts problem would arise between the offense they put in with Tebow, and the one I imagine they are going to install (or PM is going to install ;D) for Manning. I think the QBs have to be on the same page. Face it, Manning is the quintessential pocket QB. You couldn't just plug Tebow into that offense.

I don't know if Tebow's fan-base would cause issues or not, really. I don't know what the FO thinks about that. Then, there's always the possibility that Tebow asks them to trade him. The first signal that has come from his "camp" (a friend who had dinner with him) is that Tebow would like to go back to Florida. Maybe that's a signal, maybe not. If the Broncos do trade Tebow, they're going to need more back up than Weber.

Gort
03-20-2012, 10:17 AM

compared to Manning's contract, EVERYBODY else on the team has an affordable contract.

houghtam
03-20-2012, 10:18 AM
I think the nuts and bolts problem would arise between the offense they put in with Tebow, and the one I imagine they are going to install (or PM is going to install ;D) for Manning. I think the QBs have to be on the same page. Face it, Manning is the quintessential pocket QB. You couldn't just plug Tebow into that offense.

I don't know if Tebow's fan-base would cause issues or not, really. I don't know what the FO thinks about that. Then, there's always the possibility that Tebow asks them to trade him. The first signal that has come from his "camp" (a friend who had dinner with him) is that Tebow would like to go back to Florida. Maybe that's a signal, maybe not. If the Broncos do trade Tebow, they're going to need more back up than Weber.

I think the FO's opinion on the Tebow fan-base are overstated. Their money spends the same as others. If the Broncos are a business, I'm sure they're perfectly happy to deal with billboards as long as those #15 jerseys keep selling.

kappys
03-20-2012, 10:24 AM
It's a matter of time before Manning has one bad half and the chants would begin, that is how stupid some of the fan base is right now. IMO, I don't think we can keep him for the distraction alone.

I was a fan of the billboard but this is Peyton Manning not Kyle Orton we're talking about. TT will be quickly forgotten on the bench here, and I doubt he'll want to resign in 2 years. Better to take what we can get (personally I would see if Jax would give us a couple of vets, maybe rashean Mathis and Kampman or something like that).

Smilin Assassin
03-20-2012, 10:28 AM
Count me as one that would like to keep Tebow.

Having Peyton in front of him should quiet the Tebow chants. Had we taken Tebow in THIS yr's draft, who knows how it would have played out.

Sure, Tebow always had his loyal followers, but w/Peyton in front of him, it's different. You put Orton in front of him, who could blame the chants? Were they supposed to chant for Quinn?

Dedhed
03-20-2012, 10:33 AM
I don't see Tebow as a distraction with Manning running the ship, but I do think he should be dealt.

Tebow will always need to run a unique offense so grooming him to be Manning's successor doesn't make much sense. We should deal him in exchange for a good young defensive player and draft a pocket QB either this year or next to develop behind Manning.

baja
03-20-2012, 11:28 AM

What back up that we could get do you think would be a good fit of the offense PM runs? Truth is Tebow is just as good a fit as any available player because no one is a good fit for what Manning does. This is the perfect place for Tebow.

And I am sure the FO could care less about the Tebowners now that they got Manning. No reasonable fan would expect Tebow to start over Manning and screw the rest that would.

CEH
03-20-2012, 11:35 AM
CAA will not let Tebow sit the bench in Denver. They cannot have two of their top clients on the same team. They will raise a stink but I think ELway will release Tebow if it comes to that

Rohirrim
03-20-2012, 11:37 AM
What back up that we could get do you think would be a good fit of the offense PM runs? Truth is Tebow is just as good a fit as any available player because no one is a good fit for what Manning does. This is the perfect place for Tebow.

And I am sure the FO could care less about the Tebowners now that they got Manning. No reasonable fan would expect Tebow to start over Manning and screw the rest that would.

If they can't get somebody in trade (with a pick or two) for Tebow, they should bring in a guy like Billy Volek. A dependable, experienced backup. I just don't want them to use a draft pick on a QB this year unless it's a sweetheart deal, like in the fifth round, or something.