PDA

View Full Version : Did lockerroom really have Tims back?

bfoflcommish
03-20-2012, 08:33 AM
After reading alot of the tweets and listening to some of the interviews of current Broncos, it doesnt seem like alot of the team really had Tim's back. Sure they played the good teammate route etc, but once this reality hit the true emotions came out.

Even Colquitt took a parting shot by saying now I wont have to punt 10 times a game, my work load will decrease. When the kickers start in on you thats not a sign of confidence.

Ronnie Tsunami
03-20-2012, 08:35 AM
so because players would rather have the GOAT starting, they didn't have his back, ever?

didn't read that colquitt quote tho.

bfoflcommish
03-20-2012, 08:36 AM
so because players would rather have the GOAT starting, they didn't have his back, ever?

didn't read that colquitt quote tho.

oh im not saying ever, but i would think alot of these things would at least wait til after tebow is "officially" gone.

the Colquitt quote was on 9news this morning when they interviewd him yesterday

Drunk Monkey
03-20-2012, 08:37 AM
I heard D Thomas on Mike and Mike. He sounded pretty wishy washy when they asked him if he thought Tebow would succeed as a QB.

spdirty
03-20-2012, 08:38 AM
I think they had his back when they were winning, not so much when they weren't.

Drunk Monkey
I heard D Thomas on Mike and Mike. He sounded pretty wishy washy when they asked him if he thought Tebow would succeed as a QB.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=7712832

bfoflcommish

yep, thats exactly what im talking about, not very many are coming out and saying he will.

baja
03-20-2012, 08:39 AM
What's up with the players anyway. You'd think they just heard we were getting Payton Manning or something.

bendog
03-20-2012, 08:39 AM
yep, thats exactly what im talking about, not very many are coming out and saying he will.

and you wonder why?

Kaylore
03-20-2012, 08:40 AM
Liking Peyton Manning doesn't mean they didn't support or like Tebow.

In fact this is lost on some people here. I like both, but keep reading that isn't possible.

Broncos4tw
03-20-2012, 08:41 AM
I think the players did have his back. But over the course of the year, Tebow got a lot of credit and media attention for the teams inspired play. No doubt Tebow was the impetus that got the team going, but it was the team's play as a whole that got the job done. And that is not Tebow's fault, and I'm sure the players realize this. But I think it's a relief to them to know they have a legitimate offensive threat now. The defense and offense can play an entirely different game with Manning behind center.

I think some fans should realize there is a reason the players are so excited about this FA signing. They wouldn't be as thrilled as they are, if there wasn't a reason.

BroncoBeavis
03-20-2012, 08:42 AM

Just depends on the context. McGahee was excited about Manning, which is understandable for a guy with only a year or two left at best. But he also said Tebow will succeed wherever he goes.

If you ask the question from the Manning perspective, they'll say things about what Manning will improve. Usually if you ask them point blank about Tebow instead, you'll probably hear nice things.

Not necessarily mutually exclusive. Because most reasonable people don't hold the same standards for 14 year vets as for 16-game starters.

tsiguy96
03-20-2012, 08:43 AM
mcgahee said that if adrian peterson came to denver, he instantly becomes the starting RB. thats how it works and this is similar.

cmhargrove
03-20-2012, 08:43 AM

Yeah, I heard that and it was pretty ****ty of Thomas to insinuate on the national stage. D. Thomas could be great, but has barely been healthy enough to be a major contributor.

I think D. Thomas sees dollar signs in his future. He now has the chance to be a top 10 receiver in this league with Manning chucking the rock.

bfoflcommish
03-20-2012, 08:51 AM
Liking Peyton Manning doesn't mean they didn't support or like Tebow.

In fact this is lost on some people here. I like both, but keep reading that isn't possible.

no again I agree, but colquitts quote opened my eyes more than anything.

BroncoBeavis
03-20-2012, 08:54 AM
no again I agree, but colquitts quote opened my eyes more than anything.

Better watch his mouth around Peypey. Not a big fan of mouthy kickers. :)

jhns
03-20-2012, 08:56 AM
I would bet there are very few teams that have every player believing in their QB. Some probably loved Tebow and some probably thought he wasn't cutting it. The same could be said for Orton, Cutler, and Plummer. Thos next season will be the first since Elway that the entire team believes in the QB.

Taco John
03-20-2012, 08:58 AM
After reading alot of the tweets and listening to some of the interviews of current Broncos, it doesnt seem like alot of the team really had Tim's back. Sure they played the good teammate route etc, but once this reality hit the true emotions came out.

Even Colquitt took a parting shot by saying now I wont have to punt 10 times a game, my work load will decrease. When the kickers start in on you thats not a sign of confidence.

I think their play on the field showed that they had his back. But it's pretty much a no-brainer that Peyton Manning is a better quarterback than Tim Tebow. Why shouldn't they be excited. The message that the Peyton Manning deal sends to the locker room is that they're going to try to win a Superbowl now - not later. That's exciting for those guys.

Taco John
03-20-2012, 08:59 AM

D Thomas sounds wishy washy in every interview he gives.

Rabb
03-20-2012, 09:01 AM
I think their play on the field showed that they had his back. But it's pretty much a no-brainer that Peyton Manning is a better quarterback than Tim Tebow. Why shouldn't they be excited. The message that the Peyton Manning deal sends to the locker room is that they're going to try to win a Superbowl now - not later. That's exciting for those guys.

Yep, listening to Champ yesterday with Al and Dbag he sounded nothing short of giddy.

RaiderH8r
03-20-2012, 09:02 AM
D Thomas sounds wishy washy in every interview he gives.

And Clady's interviews...sheesh. They had to use a crowbar to pry simple "Yeah, I like football" type answers out of him. He is not so much media savvy. Also...FINE HIM!!!!

Taco John
03-20-2012, 09:05 AM
And Clady's interviews...sheesh. They had to use a crowbar to pry simple "Yeah, I like football" type answers out of him. He is not so much media savvy. Also...FINE HIM!!!!

I think a lot of those guys are just paranoid that they're going to say something that is going to bite them on the butt.

55CrushEm
03-20-2012, 09:06 AM
Colquitt taking a shot?!? Ha!

The punter should always shut his piehole. "Whaaaaa! I had to punt 10 times in a game."

Does he think he was OVERWORKED?

Ha!

That One Guy
03-20-2012, 09:08 AM

It depends on how you define "had his back". I read reports that guys in SF were pissed that Alex Smith wasn't being pursued very hard while the team went after Manning. Here, you have people talking about how much better things will be and then making hollow statements like Thomas' testament to Tebow's dedication. He didn't comment that he's got the skills to succeed, he didn't say he thinks he's one of the best 32 QBs, he didn't speak to his talent at all aside from saying he'll succeed due to his determination. I don't think taking the field with the guy is necessarily "having his back" in that they might have believed he was the best option at the time but I don't think they truly believe in him as a QB in the grander scheme of things.

bendog
03-20-2012, 09:08 AM
Manning's teams always have an idgit drunken kicker

Rabb
03-20-2012, 09:09 AM
I think a lot of those guys are just paranoid that they're going to say something that is going to bite them on the butt.

Yeah exactly, look at what Von said last week and how all of the Tebow fans just jumped his ass for it, like he isn't supposed to be excited about this.

bendog
03-20-2012, 09:11 AM
It depends on how you define "had his back". I read reports that guys in SF were pissed that Alex Smith wasn't being pursued very hard while the team went after Manning. Here, you have people talking about how much better things will be and then making hollow statements like Thomas' testament to Tebow's dedication. He didn't comment that he's got the skills to succeed, he didn't say he thinks he's one of the best 32 QBs, he didn't speak to his talent at all aside from saying he'll succeed due to his determination. I don't think taking the field with the guy is necessarily "having his back" in that they might have believed he was the best option at the time but I don't think they truly believe in him as a QB in the grander scheme of things.

I thought the niners had a contract on the table for Smith. But, I don't really see this thread. Tebow couldn't complete half his passes, but he plays with passion ... as opposed to pocket sloth. Manning is first ballot HOF. What's the question? If I'm champ, I'm giddy too. Hell, I'm actually looking forward to a bronco season for the first time since the Pitt debacle.

DENVERDUI55
03-20-2012, 09:13 AM

Clady seems like he is blazed out of his mind when he talks. He looks like it too.

BroncoBen
03-20-2012, 09:17 AM

That is a good question, several 'tweets' I have seen from players are that they are happy with Manning coming to Denver.

No one I've seen has come out and thrown Tebow under the bus, most say he is a 'competitive' player and wish him well.

I think its fans and media who are trying to read between the lines, but its all based on what we seen this past season.

For me I won't miss those throws in the dirt or behind the WRs, or holding onto the ball too long and running around the backfield trying to make things happen.

Yes its exciting .. and I scream at the TV, but I am looking for some fluidity in the offense, just move the ball down-field and score touchdowns.

ColoradoDarin
03-20-2012, 09:18 AM
Colquitt taking a shot?!? Ha!

The punter should always shut his piehole. "Whaaaaa! I had to punt 10 times in a game."

Does he think he was OVERWORKED?

Ha!

Come on man, kicking too much messes with his golf game (at least that what Fatsis said in the book, right?)

That One Guy
03-20-2012, 09:22 AM
I thought the niners had a contract on the table for Smith. But, I don't really see this thread. Tebow couldn't complete half his passes, but he plays with passion ... as opposed to pocket sloth. Manning is first ballot HOF. What's the question? If I'm champ, I'm giddy too. Hell, I'm actually looking forward to a bronco season for the first time since the Pitt debacle.

SF offered Smith a contract but it was the same (or maybe less), I think, as the one Flynn got. Smith almost got them to the SB while Flynn played twice and is trying to shake the phobia of Kolb's contract.

As for the rest... you really see things how you want in this scenario. I see players speaking with optimism for the future and hollow regard for Tebow. I've been seeing the same thing going all the way back to McGahee's comments about there being more than Tebow on the field or whatever so maybe that's what I look to see. Others apparently see this as simply players celebrating an upgrade. We all seem to be biased toward one angle or another.

Gort
03-20-2012, 09:27 AM

Manning was kicked to the curb by the only team he's ever played for over a $28M payment and the concern that he might not ever be the same after his 3 neck surgeries. a mere 2 weeks later, the Broncos got suckered into paying the same guy $95M for 5 years. this is a huge risk for Bowlen. a HUGE risk.

you are acting as if we signed an uninjured Manning in his prime. we didn't. maybe a gimpy, aging Manning on the downslope of his career will be enough to get the Broncos back to a SB provided we can quickly get all of the other pieces we need, but this is anything but the slamdunk you think it is.

you've already admitted that you're a Manning fanboy suffering from a bad case of Manning envy, but let's be real about this deal. it's the first move of several that need to be made, and everything has to go just right for us on the injury front, or all Bowlen has done is flushed $95M down the drain.

bendog
03-20-2012, 09:28 AM
SF offered Smith a contract but it was the same (or maybe less), I think, as the one Flynn got. Smith almost got them to the SB while Flynn played twice and is trying to shake the phobia of Kolb's contract.

As for the rest... you really see things how you want in this scenario. I see players speaking with optimism for the future and hollow regard for Tebow. I've been seeing the same thing going all the way back to McGahee's comments about there being more than Tebow on the field or whatever so maybe that's what I look to see. Others apparently see this as simply players celebrating an upgrade. We all seem to be biased toward one angle or another.

I don't really agree. I think the players, esp Champ, were saying about the same after the NE blowout. Tim's a great guy and he plays hard, but he needs to improve. Even the greatest are done with the game before they're middle aged, and they have lives. Manning gives them a chance to really go bowling. The team just got better, and they're excited. Me too.

btw, I was googling earlier and found Jim Jensen's blog. He was a RB/FB.

As for Tebow, I don't see how he stays. The idiots will put up more billboards. He's a distraction. It's not his fault. He's a great guy. But, the "fans" .... Plus, he probably needs to play rather than practice. And, I still think the canadian league is best suited for him.

maher_tyler
03-20-2012, 09:28 AM

I think that makes just about all of us though. There are times where he looks like he has a shot to be a good QB and times where you think to yourself "I could have made that throw!".

bendog
03-20-2012, 09:30 AM
Manning was kicked to the curb by the only team he's ever played for over a $28M payment and the concern that he might not ever be the same after his 3 neck surgeries. a mere 2 weeks later, the Broncos got suckered into paying the same guy $95M for 5 years. this is a huge risk for Bowlen. a HUGE risk.

you are acting as if we signed an uninjured Manning in his prime. we didn't. maybe a gimpy, aging Manning on the downslope of his career will be enough to get the Broncos back to a SB provided we can quickly get all of the other pieces we need, but this is anything but the slamdunk you think it is.

you've already admitted that you're a Manning fanboy suffering from a bad case of Manning envy, but let's be real about this deal. it's the first move of several that need to be made, and everything has to go just right for us on the injury front, or all Bowlen has done is flushed $95M down the drain.

And Miami, SF, Ariz, Sea, Tenn, KC all just got LUCKY.

BroncoBeavis
03-20-2012, 09:32 AM
I don't really agree. I think the players, esp Champ, were saying about the same after the NE blowout. Tim's a great guy and he plays hard, but he needs to improve. Even the greatest are done with the game before they're middle aged, and they have lives. Manning gives them a chance to really go bowling. The team just got better, and they're excited. Me too.

btw, I was googling earlier and found Jim Jensen's blog. He was a RB/FB.

As for Tebow, I don't see how he stays. The idiots will put up more billboards. He's a distraction. It's not his fault. He's a great guy. But, the "fans" .... Plus, he probably needs to play rather than practice. And, I still think the canadian league is best suited for him.

I really doubt that Champ was thinking to himself 6 passing TD's into that Pats shelling "That Tebow kid needs to improve" I'm sure he was focused on other areas.

maher_tyler
03-20-2012, 09:35 AM

There are a few guys in that locker room that deserve to get a ring...Champ and Dawk come to mind.

Lestat
03-20-2012, 09:36 AM
i think the team has the back of whoever is the starter and whoever is their teammate and going to war with them.

people are mistaking the wow factor of getting a guy like Peyton Manning, the Detroit Tigers had Miguel Cabrera as their 1B and still signed Prince Fielder to take over at 1B for him. the teammates weren't crapping on Miggy by being excited about adding a huge piece like Fielder, the same thing with the Marlins and signing Reyes and moving Ramirez to 3B.

they're not knocking Tebow, they came out in droves to defend him when he was the man at the helm. they defended Orton when he was here as well.
but when you get a shot at a 1st ballot HOF player then you get behind that and support him, especially when it's a QB.

errand
03-20-2012, 09:50 AM
Yeah, I heard that and it was pretty ****ty of Thomas to insinuate on the national stage. D. Thomas could be great, but has barely been healthy enough to be a major contributor.

I think D. Thomas sees dollar signs in his future. He now has the chance to be a top 10 receiver in this league with Manning chucking the rock.

Who knows, maybe Thomas saw the headlines after Steelers game "Tebow beats Steelers"....then noticed that his contributions 4 catches for 204 yards.... 51.0 avg per catch....GW 80 yard TD...120 yards after catch were brushed aside as "meh"

Players not named Tebow have egos and feelings too....and they hurt just as much as Timmy does when they're dismissed or disrespected.....

errand
03-20-2012, 09:53 AM
I really doubt that Champ was thinking to himself 6 passing TD's into that Pats shelling "That Tebow kid needs to improve" I'm sure he was focused on other areas.

I'm sure he's thinking that at least now we got a QB that is capable of dropping 6 TD's on someone.......

TonyR
03-20-2012, 09:56 AM
Manning was kicked to the curb by the only team he's ever played for over a $28M payment and the concern that he might not ever be the same after his 3 neck surgeries.

LOL Andrew Luck had nothing to do with it...

Mountain Bronco
03-20-2012, 10:03 AM
You can like both, nothing wrong with that; however, I don't think that Tebow had unwavering support in the locker room. They took it when it was good, but somewhat expected it to fail. Its like Champ said during the season, until we go on a losing streak, he liked it. I think there was a lot of skepticism about Tebow and even some envy for all of the kudos he got when the team really stepped up.

Gort
03-20-2012, 10:09 AM
LOL Andrew Luck had nothing to do with it...

he did. but if you examine why in any depth, you'll uncover something else about Manning which should make you uneasy.

here's a hint.

Manning lied to Irsay Jr. about his injury status before signing that huge contract last year. when Irsay Jr. asked Manning about postponing the $28M payment a couple of weeks ago, Manning said "NO". that's why Irsay Jr. waived him. but now Manning says that because of Irsay Jr.'s actions, their relationship is strained.

Manning wouldn't directly comment about Luck, but his father was all over the place a couple of months ago telling anybody and everybody that Manning wasn't interested in mentoring Luck or anybody else, and that if the Colts did draft Luck, then it would probably be better for Manning to play somewhere else.

what do these 2 anecdotes tell you about Peyton Manning? i know what they tell me. this is not a team player, this is a guy who believes his own hype and has a massive ego that needs to be stoked from time to time. that doesn't mean he can't still be a good citizen, but make no doubt about it, Manning brings alot of baggage with him. EFX should be retitled MEFX because Manning is going to have a say over everything that goes on that is on par with everyone in the front office.

maybe Xanders can use his pull to get McCoy a pizza delivery job too, because he's not going to be doing much offensive coordinating this year.

Gort
03-20-2012, 10:11 AM
There are a few guys in that locker room that deserve to get a ring...Champ and Dawk come to mind.

didn't Burger Bill write a couple of weeks ago that the Broncos weren't interested in resigning Dawkins even if Dawkins decides not to retire? i think Dawk is done here. Champ is the one guy i'll root for to get a ring.

gyldenlove
03-20-2012, 10:13 AM

You don't know much about NFL contracts do you?

peacepipe
03-20-2012, 10:25 AM
he did. but if you examine why in any depth, you'll uncover something else about Manning which should make you uneasy.

here's a hint.

Manning lied to Irsay Jr. about his injury status before signing that huge contract last year. when Irsay Jr. asked Manning about postponing the $28M payment a couple of weeks ago, Manning said "NO". that's why Irsay Jr. waived him. but now Manning says that because of Irsay Jr.'s actions, their relationship is strained.Manning wouldn't directly comment about Luck, but his father was all over the place a couple of months ago telling anybody and everybody that Manning wasn't interested in mentoring Luck or anybody else, and that if the Colts did draft Luck, then it would probably be better for Manning to play somewhere else.

what do these 2 anecdotes tell you about Peyton Manning? i know what they tell me. this is not a team player, this is a guy who believes his own hype and has a massive ego that needs to be stoked from time to time. that doesn't mean he can't still be a good citizen, but make no doubt about it, Manning brings alot of baggage with him. EFX should be retitled MEFX because Manning is going to have a say over everything that goes on that is on par with everyone in the front office.

maybe Xanders can use his pull to get McCoy a pizza delivery job too, because he's not going to be doing much offensive coordinating this year.What kind of idiot do you think PM is? why should he agree to any extention? irsay name is on the contract as well. It isn't as if FA was going to come to a complete halt waiting for the colts to make a choice.

kappys
03-20-2012, 10:30 AM
Who knows, maybe Thomas saw the headlines after Steelers game "Tebow beats Steelers"....then noticed that his contributions 4 catches for 204 yards.... 51.0 avg per catch....GW 80 yard TD...120 yards after catch were brushed aside as "meh"

Players not named Tebow have egos and feelings too....and they hurt just as much as Timmy does when they're dismissed or disrespected.....

Well he'd better get used to it. He could have 5 games like that in a row and people will give the credit to PM.

TonyR
03-20-2012, 10:32 AM
what do these 2 anecdotes tell you about Peyton Manning? i know what they tell me. this is not a team player, this is a guy who believes his own hype and has a massive ego that needs to be stoked from time to time.

12:29 pm Andrew Brandt: Initial reaction to Peyton deal: could be 1 yr, $18M deal. He could have leveraged more guarantee, less risk and did not. Impressive.

https://twitter.com/#!/adbrandt/status/182140302486810625

What does this tell you about Peyton Manning?

gyldenlove
03-20-2012, 10:32 AM

here's a hint.

Manning lied to Irsay Jr. about his injury status before signing that huge contract last year. when Irsay Jr. asked Manning about postponing the $28M payment a couple of weeks ago, Manning said "NO". that's why Irsay Jr. waived him. but now Manning says that because of Irsay Jr.'s actions, their relationship is strained.

Manning wouldn't directly comment about Luck, but his father was all over the place a couple of months ago telling anybody and everybody that Manning wasn't interested in mentoring Luck or anybody else, and that if the Colts did draft Luck, then it would probably be better for Manning to play somewhere else.

maybe Xanders can use his pull to get McCoy a pizza delivery job too, because he's not going to be doing much offensive coordinating this year.

Manning didn't lie about his injury, the Colts franchise tagged him and they negotiated a new contract, at the time (during the lockout) Manning wasn't allowed to consult with team physicians. The reason he had that 28 million bonus was exactly because there was no certainty of his injury, so it gave the team a year with low cash expense to decide if they wanted to keep him, they didn't so they got rid of him.

Those two made up stories tell me that you are desperate for an argument but find yourself short on facts.

Here is a fact:

Despite being the only player in history to win 4 MVP awards he settled for a smaller contract than Michael Vick, Albert Haynesworth, Donovan Mcnabb, Brett Favre, Carson Palmer, Ben Roethlisberger.

BroncoDoug
03-20-2012, 10:34 AM
Demaryius Thomas
‏ @DemaryiusT

For the record... Wasn't saying nothing bad about tim so idk why ppl try and make it seem like that

yerner
03-20-2012, 10:45 AM
His limited quarterbacking talent doesn't warrant the fan and media attention he gets. There is a obvious hypocrisy that every player see's and can not help but somewhat resent.

bendog
03-20-2012, 11:29 AM
i think the team has the back of whoever is the starter and whoever is their teammate and going to war with them.

people are mistaking the wow factor of getting a guy like Peyton Manning, the Detroit Tigers had Miguel Cabrera as their 1B and still signed Prince Fielder to take over at 1B for him. the teammates weren't crapping on Miggy by being excited about adding a huge piece like Fielder, the same thing with the Marlins and signing Reyes and moving Ramirez to 3B.

they're not knocking Tebow, they came out in droves to defend him when he was the man at the helm. they defended Orton when he was here as well.
but when you get a shot at a 1st ballot HOF player then you get behind that and support him, especially when it's a QB.

Orton fractured the locker room. He was mailing it in, and practicing w/o his helmet on. The players did NOT have his back because he didn't have theirs. Tebow was like a breath of fresh air, and he rallied the team. He's a great leader. But that doesn't mean he'll ever win a Lombardi. I doubt anyone in dove valley dislikes Tebow, and everyone wishes him success. But Bowlen wants another lombardi.

bpc
03-20-2012, 11:39 AM
I think jealousy is a crazy thing. I definitely got that feeling from McGahee near the end of the season.

Tombstone RJ
03-20-2012, 11:44 AM

I think Andrew Luck played a big role in the Colts decision on not retaining Manning. It was just the timing of the whole thing that allowed the Colts and Manning to part ways.

mustangtoby
03-20-2012, 01:37 PM
^^^^^^^^^^
This
And Tebows play helped elevate the Broncos to a posistion that made Manning want to come here.

That One Guy
03-20-2012, 04:25 PM
Demaryius Thomas
‏ @DemaryiusT

For the record... Wasn't saying nothing bad about tim so idk why ppl try and make it seem like that

Just curious but what is the intent when posting this? Do you sincerely believe it? Should it be accompanied by an eyeroll? Are you just showing you can copy and paste twitter comments?

DENVERDUI55
03-20-2012, 04:59 PM
Another DT quote from that interview was yeah Tim made a FEW plays. That's kind of like a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile.

broncolife
03-20-2012, 06:30 PM
Man this team is going to be pissed when Manning is getting all the credit for our wins.

That One Guy
03-20-2012, 06:43 PM
Man this team is going to be pissed when Manning is getting all the credit for our wins.

I've seen Manning single-handedly beat teams.

The other guy? Not so much.

Agamemnon
03-20-2012, 06:55 PM
I've seen Manning single-handedly beat teams.

The other guy? Not so much.

You haven't seen anyone ever single-handily beat any team, ever. It's a team game.

That One Guy
03-20-2012, 07:00 PM
You haven't seen anyone ever single-handily beat any team, ever. It's a team game.

Literally speaking, it is a team game. So noone could literally beat anyone single handedly.

Take away the literal factor and individual players can pretty much beat teams by themselves. Hester pretty much beat us single handedly a few years ago. Manning basically calls the plays, adjusts the plays based on what the D shows pre-snap, helps assign blocking responsibilities by emphasizing certain defenders, then has the ability to isolate a single DB and light him up all game. Manning and 10 guys in wheelchairs could've won some of the Bronco beatdowns we've seen.

Agamemnon
03-20-2012, 07:07 PM
Literally speaking, it is a team game. So noone could literally beat anyone single handedly.

Take away the literal factor and individual players can pretty much beat teams by themselves. Hester pretty much beat us single handedly a few years ago. Manning basically calls the plays, adjusts the plays based on what the D shows pre-snap, helps assign blocking responsibilities by emphasizing certain defenders, then has the ability to isolate a single DB and light him up all game. Manning and 10 guys in wheelchairs could've won some of the Bronco beatdowns we've seen.

I don't think you get it. I'm not saying it's literally not possible. I'm saying the very notion is stupid. A QB may be the primary catalyst for an offense, but linemen have to block and receivers have to catch. And if the defense can't stop the opposing team to save their lives it may not matter anyway. No one wins football games by themselves. Period.

baja
03-20-2012, 07:10 PM
I don't think you get it. I'm not saying it's literally not possible. I'm saying the very notion is stupid. A QB may be the primary catalyst for an offense, but linemen have to block and receivers have to catch. And if the defense can't stop the opposing team to save their lives it may not matter anyway. No one wins football games by themselves. Period.

On thing that come to mind is Indy's record the last year Payton played and the year he missed.

McDman
03-20-2012, 07:19 PM
On thing that come to mind is Indy's record the last year Payton played and the year he missed.

Do you purposely spell his name wrong?

baja
03-20-2012, 07:27 PM
Do you purposely spell his name wrong?

No I'm a dyslexic speller. Words that are spelled wrong do not look wrong to me with certain letter combinations. You can see how often I reverse 'b' and 'p' for example.

cutthemdown
03-20-2012, 07:59 PM
No I'm a dyslexic speller. Words that are spelled wrong do not look wrong to me with certain letter combinations. You can see how often I reverse 'b' and 'p' for example.

Paja you are such a Bussy.

cutthemdown
03-20-2012, 07:59 PM
:)

doonwise
03-20-2012, 08:05 PM
I like both, but keep reading that isn't possible.
Well said and I echo! I would love to have Tebow as Mannings' understudy, but Tebow's rabid fanbase could make that impossible...

Mk2
03-20-2012, 08:07 PM

I dunno Von Miller had his back, Decker had his back, Champ spoke well of him , Mgahee was a bit shaky with the lack of leadership comment but he did say Tebow would win a Super Bowl one day so it's a wash.

And colquitt's quote could be viewed as an indictment of the offensive strategy as a whole .

doonwise
03-20-2012, 08:09 PM

I didn't hear that quote (no link?) but if I were a punter I would be kinda bummed if I wasn't going to get to punt as much. I think he probably liked having to punt all the time. Kickers like to kick.

Mk2
03-20-2012, 08:10 PM

Your comparing a first year starter to a QB going into his 8th year . Smith has been with some of those guys for years and years and years ....no comparison

That One Guy
03-20-2012, 08:12 PM
Your comparing a first year starter to a QB going into his 8th year . Smith has been with some of those guys for years and years and years ....no comparison

So you're saying they wanted Smith over Manning for sentimental reasons?

Yeah, that sounds likely.

baja
03-20-2012, 08:16 PM
:)

You're lucky you threw in that smily buster. ;D

pokenation
03-20-2012, 08:27 PM
since, i dont meet the 100 post rule, as ****ing stupid as that rule is, i think maybe someone who really understands how the manning contract is writtin, should post it in its own post. there are some folks around here who are spouting off about the contract that is just flat wrong.

That One Guy
03-20-2012, 08:29 PM
since, i dont meet the 100 post rule, as ****ing stupid as that rule is, i think maybe someone who really understands how the manning contract is writtin, should post it in its own post. there are some folks around here who are spouting off about the contract that is just flat wrong.

The 100 post rule applies to posting as well.

baja
03-20-2012, 08:30 PM

Hey if you got it make a thread. There is no such rule.

pokenation
03-20-2012, 08:38 PM
thats my point, I dont know the ins and outs. i do know that it is pretty much 5 -one year contracts. Manning will have to pass a physical at the end of each year to receive the next years money, but after the first year it will be a two year deal and so on. so the broncos are very well protected if his neck is injured again...and it looks like he is only going to get around 20m/year at the most. They are not on the hook for the full 95m if he gets hurt, or any amount above THAT YEARS guaranteed money.

if anyone else has things to add, i would sure like to know them. thanks

Dedhed
03-20-2012, 08:39 PM
I think they had his back when they were winning, not so much when they weren't.So most of the time then?

McDman
03-20-2012, 08:52 PM
thats my point, I dont know the ins and outs. i do know that it is pretty much 5 -one year contracts. Manning will have to pass a physical at the end of each year to receive the next years money, but after the first year it will be a two year deal and so on. so the broncos are very well protected if his neck is injured again...and it looks like he is only going to get around 20m/year at the most. They are not on the hook for the full 95m if he gets hurt, or any amount above THAT YEARS guaranteed money.

if anyone else has things to add, i would sure like to know them. thanks

There is no 100 post rule. Make a thread.