PDA

View Full Version : Peyton's Injury/Recovery

jerseyguy4
03-20-2012, 07:58 AM
I have seen a million discussions over the months about Peyton's injury. Sometimes they talk about his broken neck or broken spine. Many people were questioning whether these injuries were going to make him retire, and whether he would ever be able to take another "NFL hit" since his spine problems.

Let me clarify what actually happened for anyone who doesn't know.

Peyton had a pinched nerve, and it was ultimately determined that the "pinch" was in his neck between two vertebrae.

It was never clarified (as far as I have seen) how this happened. I know there are plenty of ways to get a pinched nerve...being slammed into the turf probably among them. But it is common, and certainly doesn't have to be football related.

There are two general symptoms of it: pain, and weakened muscle strength. I have never heard whether or not pain was a problem for Peyton. But the whole main cause of the surgery was to correct his weakened muscle strength. (edit - weakened muscle strength in his throwing arm)

The surgeries are relatively minor, in terms of how invasive they are. Recovery from surgery is fairly quick. So when Peyton's doctors said he was physically cleared to play, people should not be surprised. There is no reason he should be physically unable to take a hit, and there is no reason he should be brittle or sensitive...ie. HE DID NOT HAVE A BROKEN NECK.

His recovery has been little about health, and much more about arm strength. That only comes with time while the nerve regenerates. Being worth millions upon millions of dollars, I would presume he has top notch doctors monitoring and measuring his arm strength in some Ivan Drago sort of way. I'd like for us to all be able to see whatever bar graphs and charts they showed EFX during the meetings.

Everything I said above is quite google-able. I only felt the need to write this because I think there are many misconceptions out there about what actually happened to Manning. People converse about the upcoming season and how his injury will affect him without all being on the same page as to what actually happened in the first place

edog24
03-20-2012, 08:06 AM
Are you a doctor?

jerseyguy4
03-20-2012, 08:13 AM
Are you a doctor?
definitely not. But I've been following his surgery story closely since it broke so long ago. Like I said, you can google it all. But yet people still love to ponder whether his "broken neck" will be okay, when that's not what the concern is.

Drunken.Broncoholic
03-20-2012, 08:14 AM
It is outpatient based surgery. Your under the knife in the morning at home in the afternoon.

TonyR
03-20-2012, 08:15 AM
http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/story/2012-03-08/doctors-upbeat-on-manning-health/53424974/1&sa=U&ei=9Z5oT7T9E8LjiAL3mrSDDg&ved=0CCIQFjAD&usg=AFQjCNHoEqbAZ8eNLGQF8JQ4mX642fogSA