PDA

View Full Version : Josina: Broncos and Woodyard come to terms

Taco John
03-19-2012, 07:40 PM
Josina Anderson ‏ @JosinaAnderson

Agent Tony Fleming tells me Broncos LB Wesley Woodyard and the Broncos have agreed to terms on two-year deal. #Broncos

"Wesley's heart is in Denver, so he is very pleased that we were able to come to terms."#Broncos #NFL

Lestat
03-19-2012, 07:41 PM
i like this move, a lot more than the 4 mil per for Mays.

Garcia Bronco
03-19-2012, 07:42 PM
Nice.

Ronnie Tsunami
03-19-2012, 07:44 PM
**** YEAH

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vUNAdnhEIBc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Man-Goblin
03-19-2012, 07:44 PM
Glad he's back. Good DJ insurance. Hopefully, Peyton approves.

UberBroncoMan
03-19-2012, 07:45 PM

100% agree

BowlenBall
03-19-2012, 07:45 PM
Good re-signing -- Woodyard's been a team captain for the last 4 years, and while he may not be a great starter, at the very least he's one of the better back-up linebackers in the league.

jebures
03-19-2012, 07:47 PM

we seriously paid 4 million per year for joe mays...wtf

cmhargrove
03-19-2012, 07:48 PM
Wesley ain't stupid, he knows we just got a lot better. Sign him up....

UberBroncoMan
03-19-2012, 07:49 PM

Yep.

3 years too.

VALUE SIGNING!

Requiem
03-19-2012, 07:49 PM
joe mays bench presses wesley woodyard in his sleep

eddie mac
03-19-2012, 07:50 PM
Nice.

If I hadn't seen the numbers on the Mays deal I'd have thought the arranged visits for McClain and Hayes were to get Mays and Woodyard to lower their demands and re-sign. Only Haggan now still on the market at LB.

HAT
The Manning effect.

All truth goes through 3 phases.

Lestat
Woodyard is our era's version of Keith Burns. he's not a starter, he's not a star but he'd great of special teams and he's a great leader to have in your locker room. you need guys like that on every team.
Good re-signing -- Woodyard's been a team captain for the last 4 years, and while he may not be a great starter, at the very least he's one of the better back-up linebackers in the league.

Doggcow
I wonder how different the responses would be if we signed him before manning.

jebures
03-19-2012, 07:52 PM
Yep.

3 years too.

VALUE SIGNING!

that is depressing Mays was the reason we got gashed against the run, terrible angles and instincts and a lot whiffs. God I hope Irving starts for him

doonwise
03-19-2012, 07:54 PM
Excellent. Woodyard is high character and definitely capable. Surprised they were able to retain him.

Lestat
03-19-2012, 07:54 PM
i still have yet to figure out why we guaranteed the first year too.

IHaveALight
03-19-2012, 07:56 PM
Great news! Still think DJ needs to go back to the middle and Woody start at WLB.

Chris
03-19-2012, 07:56 PM
**** YEAH

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vUNAdnhEIBc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Never stops being awesome.

Tim
03-19-2012, 07:57 PM
Good resign

Lestat
03-19-2012, 08:02 PM
**** YEAH

that's just chock full of awesome :spit:

pricejj
03-19-2012, 08:23 PM
Yeah Wes!!!!

:sunshine:

Awesome!!!

Rohirrim
03-19-2012, 08:46 PM
I have a feeling the signings will come easy now. ;D

Dr. Broncenstein
03-19-2012, 09:20 PM
Woodyard is a nice player. Glad to see him stick around. But even this self-admitted fanboy of Joe Mays is having a hard time understanding his payday. Why not throw some money at McClain / Lofton / Tulloch?

teknic
03-19-2012, 09:25 PM
Woodyard is a nice player. Glad to see him stick around. But even this self-admitted fanboy of Joe Mays is having a hard time understanding his payday. Why not throw some money at McClain / Lofton / Tulloch?

I have no idea what the front office sees in Mays. I was hoping for a run at Tulloch. He's probably going to get in the range of 6-7mil/yr. Is Tulloch 2mil better than Mays? I would have to say yes.

I don't know much about McClain, but I liked what I have read and seen.

MVP-06
03-19-2012, 09:28 PM
Manning effect

Requiem
03-19-2012, 09:35 PM

I have a strong feeling that the Broncos (with Fox and Del Rio) will be looking to draft a linebacker early if the right opportunity presents itself.

The only thing the Mays and Woodyard signings signify is that we have a competition for starter (if Irving pans out) at MLB and Woodyard is insurance if something happens/is done with D.J. Behind Von we have Mike Mohammed with spot duty at SLB -- which is certainly upgradeable, but we aren't going to invest a high selection there.

As much as people are clamoring for a MIKE, I think that a top rated WOLB could be the next priority. Irving was drafted last year in the third round and Mays is a serviceable player. I think it's upgradeable, but not as pressing. I I think the Broncos could have a shot at Lavonte David in RD2 or even Sean Spence in RD3 -- both are on the small side. Keenan Robinson could be a player we grade highly. He is very talented and can cover well. Zach Brown is a pipe dream in the second round, so I'd probably not consider us getting him.

I'd still like to see McClain get a shot here, but that is probably dead with the Mays signing.

SLB: Miller, Mohammed
ILB: Mays, Irving
WLB: [Williams], Woodyard

Preferably:

SLB: Miller, Mohammed
ILB: McClain, Mays
WLB: (Draft Choice), Woodyard

I'd have Irving getting spot duty at MIKE and WLB.

Either way, Denver adds another linebacker. We only have five legit under contract IIRC.

strafen
03-19-2012, 09:37 PM
Josina Anderson ‏ @JosinaAnderson

Agent Tony Fleming tells me Broncos LB Wesley Woodyard and the Broncos have agreed to terms on two-year deal. #Broncos

"Wesley's heart is in Denver, so he is very pleased that we were able to come to terms."#Broncos #NFLI like Woodyard. He's very productive and always busy on the field...

broncswin
03-19-2012, 09:40 PM
Joe"not so mazing"Mays blows goats!!

strafen
03-19-2012, 09:44 PM

You can only hope they've got a good plan that would explain that one away...
I think our draft strategy is probably still up in the air...
With the rumor of Tebow being dealt, you don't know where you stand, picks wise...yet

cabronco
03-19-2012, 09:44 PM
joe mays bench presses wesley woodyard in his sleep

Then eats him for a midnight snack.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-19-2012, 10:28 PM

i still cant believe this.

cutthemdown
03-19-2012, 10:37 PM
we could still add a good inside backer in FA, but most likely Broncos keep feeling the draft is best place to look for talent. Manning may have just been because, well he's Peyton Manning.

cutthemdown
03-19-2012, 10:38 PM

Mays made a few visits. Most likely that set his worth and then he came back to Denver. I doubt they paid him a ton more then his market said but you never know I guess.

I didn't think he looked big enough to play middle linebacker.

Doggcow
03-19-2012, 10:39 PM

Because that would make us a serious contender.

Lestat
03-19-2012, 10:40 PM
oh trust me, you're not the only way. i still want to wake up and find out the 4 mil is a misprint.

cutthemdown
03-19-2012, 10:47 PM
I heard Tulloch wants to be paid like 7-8 mil a yr to leave Detroit. But the young Raven backer didn't sign yet did he? Don't be surprised if Broncos still don't snag one of these guys.

broncswin
03-20-2012, 05:53 AM
I heard Tulloch wants to be paid like 7-8 mil a yr to leave Detroit. But the young Raven backer didn't sign yet did he? Don't be surprised if Broncos still don't snag one of these guys.

Ya, this is what I am hoping for..still think we sign a Mcclain or tulloch..and I think we pick up Stewart or Bush at rb.

gyldenlove
03-20-2012, 06:42 AM
This is a good signing.

Traveler
03-20-2012, 06:55 AM
I'd like them to bring Bunkley back. Has he signed elsewhere?

enjolras
03-20-2012, 07:28 AM
I have no idea what the front office sees in Mays. I was hoping for a run at Tulloch. He's probably going to get in the range of 6-7mil/yr. Is Tulloch 2mil better than Mays? I would have to say yes.

I don't know much about McClain, but I liked what I have read and seen.

I'm not sure that the Mays signing wasn't purely for depth. The fact that they haven't splashed some money at McClain might mean they like what they have in Nate Irving as well.

ColoradoDarin
03-20-2012, 07:28 AM
Good. If DJ does sit out 6 weeks, then he can fill in. He's good on ST and in spot duty. Good guy and team player.

And do you think Joe Mays just played the Moeaki hit over and over in his negotiation?

g6matty
03-20-2012, 07:37 AM
love woodyard sticking around. he plays really fast and was 2nd player in broncos history to become captain within his first four years with the team, heard spano say that on radio last night. i have a feeling the mays signing means that irving will sit another year on the bench to get better. fox likes his veterans and eases his young guys into starting roles.

ColoradoBuff
03-20-2012, 07:52 AM
Now go sign McClain!!!!