PDA

View Full Version : Welcome To Hell

TheReverend
03-19-2012, 08:39 PM
Well, the initial book press release rolled out today, so figured I'd share some of the stuff.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj73/thereverend316/WELCOMETOHELLSMALLfinal-1.jpg

"No Fires in Hell! Who Says So?

Who says there are no fires in Hell? The United States Marine Corps, that’s who, they should know they run the place, but they call it something else. They named it Boot Camp.

Patrick Turley walked, ran and double-timed through the place and captured it in his forthcoming book Welcome to Hell! Three and a Half Months of Marine Corps Boot Camp. From the moment the drill instructor said “Welcome to Hell!” Turley and his fellow recruits felt a sense of foreboding that proved well founded. The author, who endured and survived the foreboding, looks back and captures those anxious times with a sharp line for detail and a smile for the people, DI’s and all, who shared the three and a half months.

Former Marine and Pulitzer Prize winning playwright John Patrick Shanley, after reading a draft of Welcome to Hell, put it in complete perspective “It’s great to have gone to Marine Corps boot camp. It’s terrible to be in Marine Corps boot camp. It’s fun to read about Marine Corps boot camp.”

Welcome to Hell: Three and a Half Months of Marine Corps Boot Camp ISBN 9781933909219, Chronology Books imprint of History Publishing Company, will be in bookstores August 15. Advance review copies are now available.

Patrick Turley did his three and a half months in San Diego, served in the Marine Corps for five years, rose to the rank of Sergeant and served overseas in Iraq. He is a resident of Jacksonville, Florida."

--------------------------------------------------------

The presser is already generating a ton of interest, so that's awesome. I'm also expecting another back cover quote from a former Commandant of the Marine Corps which will be a HUGE coup.

I've got some review copies (called "galleys") on the way, so if anyone secretly works for some media outlet and is interested in one, PM me.

TheReverend
03-19-2012, 08:43 PM
In b4 deservedly lost in wash of Manning craze

RhymesayersDU
03-19-2012, 08:45 PM
You mean this isn't TGN's memoirs of living through last season?

I for one am shocked.

BowlenBall
03-19-2012, 08:54 PM
Awesome... when does the audiobook come out? I'm thinking it should be narrated by F. Lee Ermey....

http://cade14.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/hartman.jpg?w=640

TheReverend
03-19-2012, 08:54 PM
You mean this isn't TGN's memoirs of living through last season?

I for one am shocked.

I lold

TheReverend
03-19-2012, 08:56 PM
Awesome... when does the audiobook come out? I'm thinking it should be narrated by F. Lee Ermey....

[IMG]http://cade14.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/hartman.jpg?w=640[IMG]

When my agent finds a better advance than the existing offer ^5

Requiem
03-19-2012, 08:58 PM
Hey Rev,

Congratulations. Let me know where a Maner can purchase this. Have a lot of friends in the Armed Services who would love to take a peek at this, as would I.

All the bests.

TheReverend
03-19-2012, 09:03 PM
Hey Rev,

Congratulations. Let me know where a Maner can purchase this. Have a lot of friends in the Armed Services who would love to take a peek at this, as would I.

All the bests.

Thanks. I promise I'll do my best to be shoving this down every OM's (lurker or not) throat as soon as the release date approaches.

Ray Finkle
03-19-2012, 09:08 PM
I'll have a list of guys to send this to once it is released.

TheReverend
03-19-2012, 09:10 PM
I'll have a list of guys to send this to once it is released.

Cryptic, sir. Cryptic.

McDman
03-19-2012, 09:11 PM
When does it hit Amazon? I'm always down for helping a fellow Maner.

Ray Finkle
03-19-2012, 09:12 PM
Cryptic, sir. Cryptic.

I work, coach, and have family members that are Marines....

TheReverend
03-19-2012, 09:14 PM
When does it hit Amazon? I'm always down for helping a fellow Maner.

Hitting bookstores Aug 15th. Preorders will probably open on Amazon in advance but that's still the release date.

And thanks :)

I work, coach, and have family members that are Marines....

Make sure you buy at least a dozen :)

Ray Finkle
03-19-2012, 09:17 PM
Hitting bookstores Aug 15th. Preorders will probably open on Amazon in advance but that's still the release date.

And thanks :)

Make sure you buy at least a dozen :)

I just may, if it wasn't for D1 lacrosse offers, I probably would have been a Marine.

McDman
03-19-2012, 09:19 PM
I just may, if it wasn't for D1 lacrosse offers, I probably would have been a Marine.

Where'd you play? I played for six years. Great game.

SoCalBronco
03-19-2012, 09:21 PM
Congrats Rev...I'm going to buy a copy of this. I'll look for it on Amazon in August. Props dude, it takes alot of time and effort to write a book as you already know. :strong:

Ray Finkle
03-19-2012, 09:23 PM
Where'd you play? I played for six years. Great game.

Offer from Hostra, wound up going to GMU ($ and divorced parents).

So I don't high jack the thread BUY REV'S BOOK!

bowtown
03-19-2012, 09:23 PM
For a second I thought Blue moved this to the butt. Congrats man. I'll read it.

TheReverend
03-19-2012, 09:29 PM
Congrats Rev...I'm going to buy a copy of this. I'll look for it on Amazon in August. Props dude, it takes alot of time and effort to write a book as you already know. :strong:

Thanks.

I'm really excited for this one for several reasons...

- It's memoirs spanning the worst period of my life (9-11 era and dad died while I was in boot camp as well)

- It's about me so super sensitive about it's reception (yes, just as cocky IRL and it shows in book lol)

- Publisher reallllly thinks this is going best-seller

- The press release today alone has already generated an ass-ton of media interest

- I was able to put a lot of fellow Marines into immortalized print with a bonus section in the back (OMers Dutch and Dukes both contributed as well) and want to succeed for them as well

- Honored one of my best friends from the Corps that passed during our time

- Back cover photo is with my daughter and she thinks that's super cool

SoCalBronco
03-19-2012, 09:35 PM
Thanks.

- Back cover photo is with my daughter and she thinks that's super cool

Is it that pic with you and her and the inflatable lobster in the pool?

It better be. :)

Taco John
03-19-2012, 09:36 PM
Congrats Rev. Will stick this for awhile and see if we can generate some forum buzz for you. Here's to this thing going best seller!

theAPAOps5
03-19-2012, 09:39 PM
Awesome, will buy when out in August. Are they making a kindle version right away or doing the paper first?

Punisher
03-19-2012, 09:39 PM
Nice man

TheReverend
03-19-2012, 09:57 PM
Is it that pic with you and her and the inflatable lobster in the pool?

It better be. :)

Haha sadly no.

I THINK it will be this one:

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/416919_10150581746188155_515728154_9036759_6582587 19_n.jpg

But there were a couple other options too.

Awesome, will buy when out in August. Are they making a kindle version right away or doing the paper first?

I assume so. I know there will be an e-book since we already negotiated those royalty splits.

Congrats Rev. Will stick this for awhile and see if we can generate some forum buzz for you. Here's to this thing going best seller!

Thanks... but only if that doesn't wear out the sticky welcome for when the real thing hits! :)

That One Guy
03-19-2012, 09:58 PM
Congrats, man. I haven't bought a book that wasn't on the discount rack at B&N in some time but I may have to check it out.

I don't want this to be a dickish question but I'm curious what makes anyone think it'll go big? Well written, just stories people can relate with, or just that they think people will like reading about bootcamp? Again, totally serious and not trying to be insulting, just curious. I read a lot of LRS and LRS-D type books back in the day and they seem to have been decently successful but could always be had on the cheap and these guys led the kinda lives you see in action movies.

Part of it is I've always thought writing a book would be awesome but I guess I just assume success is directly correlated to publicity and publicity is directly correlated to name recognition. It's awesome but surprising that such high expectations are being set.

Taco John
03-19-2012, 10:01 PM
Thanks... but only if that doesn't wear out the sticky welcome for when the real thing hits! :)

We'll figure some thing out to keep you visible one way or another. This community likes to take care of their own.

Dukes
03-19-2012, 10:03 PM
Awesome dude! Glad to hear there is a firm release date.

TheReverend
03-19-2012, 10:04 PM
Congrats, man. I haven't bought a book that wasn't on the discount rack at B&N in some time but I may have to check it out.

I don't want this to be a dickish question but I'm curious what makes anyone think it'll go big? Well written, just stories people can relate with, or just that they think people will like reading about bootcamp? Again, totally serious and not trying to be insulting, just curious. I read a lot of LRS and LRS-D type books back in the day and they seem to have been decently successful but could always be had on the cheap and these guys led the kinda lives you see in action movies.

Part of it is I've always thought writing a book would be awesome but I guess I just assume success is directly correlated to publicity and publicity is directly correlated to name recognition. It's awesome but surprising that such high expectations are being set.

Exactly. It's a "cooler" story, but this is more relatable. To several hundred thousand actives and millions of vets. Not to mention their families and or people that are just interested in this sort of thing.

That's just the direct market. Compounding that, it's not really about me... it's more of a microcosm for how the entire "slacker generation" responded when the nation was in crisis.

Compounding THAT, it's also about the loss of a loved one.

There's a substantial amount of facets to it. Regardless, none of that is what makes me think it can "go big". The media reaction in ONE DAY to the press release is a big part of that. As are some of the bigger endorsements I've landed for it including Pulitzer Prize, Academy Award, Tony Award winning authors, a former Commandant, celebrities, etc.

All with still a half a year to prep for RELEASE. That's why I think it can "go big".

theAPAOps5
03-19-2012, 10:05 PM
Haha sadly no.

I THINK it will be this one:

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/416919_10150581746188155_515728154_9036759_6582587 19_n.jpg

But there were a couple other options too.

I assume so. I know there will be an e-book since we already negotiated those royalty splits.

Cool, I'm buying paper regardless. Just curious!

That One Guy
03-19-2012, 10:07 PM
Exactly. It's a "cooler" story, but this is more relatable. To several hundred thousand actives and millions of vets. Not to mention their families and or people that are just interested in this sort of thing.

That's just the direct market. Compounding that, it's not really about me... it's more of a microcosm for how the entire "slacker generation" responded when the nation was in crisis.

Compounding THAT, it's also about the loss of a loved one.

There's a substantial amount of facets to it. Regardless, none of that is what makes me think it can "go big". The media reaction in ONE DAY to the press release is a big part of that. As are some of the bigger endorsements I've landed for it including Pulitzer Prize, Academy Award, Tony Award winning authors, a former Commandant, celebrities, etc.

All with still a half a year to prep for RELEASE. That's why I think it can "go big".

Makes sense. I was curious. Thanks for answering.

TheReverend
03-19-2012, 10:27 PM

You should buy paper.

And e-book.

And audio.

And write production companies asking why they havent bought dramatic/film rights yet.

theAPAOps5
03-19-2012, 10:29 PM
You should buy paper.

And e-book.

And audio.

And write production companies asking why they havent bought dramatic/film rights yet.

You got it!

24champ
03-19-2012, 10:33 PM

I'm not buying the book unless it is signed by Rev.

TheReverend
03-19-2012, 10:37 PM

Hmmm... this raises a good idea

I'm gonna say right now that I'll set up an address so any OM'er that wants a personalized copy can send a copy with a SASE and I'll happily fill it out for them.

theAPAOps5
03-19-2012, 10:39 PM

Oh yeah thought the same thing. Welcome back from your sabbatical.

Archer81
03-20-2012, 12:28 AM
Nicely done, Rev. Will look for it in August.

:Broncos:

Miss I.
03-20-2012, 12:52 AM
Good job Rev. I also want an autographed copy. My sister works for a program called Wounded Warrior in Virginia which works with wounded vets. I am not sure, but this seems like something somehow they could use and of course I will post on Facebook and tell everyone to read it or they will upset the Marines and nobody wants to piss off a Marine.

But seriously, well done sir. I think this will be the second book I've bought written by a Maner. Who knew so many smart people posted in a Broncos forum.

IronHog
03-20-2012, 01:06 AM
Congratulations sir. Are you a school teacher by trade?

That One Guy
03-20-2012, 07:38 AM
Congratulations sir. Are you a school teacher by trade?

I think he's just a professional vacationer... though I don't really know the logistics of that.

ColoradoDarin
03-20-2012, 09:25 AM
Can't wait - It looks awesome man!

bfoflcommish
03-20-2012, 09:36 AM

I'm gonna say right now that I'll set up an address so any OM'er that wants a personalized copy can send a copy with a SASE and I'll happily fill it out for them.

Count me in for this as well. Ill be watching as release date gets closer. Congrats man!!

TheReverend
03-20-2012, 09:36 AM
Sorry for not replying to you all individually but I'm doing an impromptu marathon right now so quoting everyone from my phone is a pain in the ass.

Not a teacher, but also curious what lead you to think that.

I'm hopeful to use this book as my real foundation to launch a few more that I've got moderately ready to go. So my focus will be making this as successful as possible before selling a mainstream fiction novel I finished last year, and a mystery novel with a rotating perspective (yes, it was damn near impossible to make work).

Kaylore
03-20-2012, 09:46 AM
I just saw this thread. I don't know about anyone else, but sticky threads are like cloaking devices. Congrats Rev! I will get a copy once it comes out. I will insist on an autograph, too.

IronHog
03-20-2012, 09:48 AM
Sorry for not replying to you all individually but I'm doing an impromptu marathon right now so quoting everyone from my phone is a pain in the ass.

Not a teacher, but also curious what lead you to think that.

I'm hopeful to use this book as my real foundation to launch a few more that I've got moderately ready to go. So my focus will be making this as successful as possible before selling a mainstream fiction novel I finished last year, and a mystery novel with a rotating perspective (yes, it was damn near impossible to make work).

Someone mentioned sabbatical and I assume they were just joking. I asked because I would like to write and possibly teach at the same time. I am finishing up school in the next couple of years. Can't wait for the release man, I will pick it up this Fall.

ORANGEJARHEAD
03-20-2012, 10:21 AM
I lived it, still burnt into my mind as it will be forever. Semper Fi.

broncosteven
03-20-2012, 10:36 AM

Can you get Gene to sign my copy?

TheReverend
03-20-2012, 11:44 AM
Someone mentioned sabbatical and I assume they were just joking. I asked because I would like to write and possibly teach at the same time. I am finishing up school in the next couple of years. Can't wait for the release man, I will pick it up this Fall.

The author of the Game of Thrones series had a similar plan. It was when he became a teacher that he realized it was a terrible plan between teaching, meetings and grading papers the only time he had to write were over breaks and hed cram as much as he could in lol

TheReverend
03-20-2012, 11:46 AM
I lived it, still burnt into my mind as it will be forever. Semper Fi.

Likewise bro. It always feels like a different lifetime looking back.

Now its even more surreal talking to former Commandants and my old DIs and ex-Marine celebs, etc

IronHog
03-20-2012, 12:19 PM
The author of the Game of Thrones series had a similar plan. It was when he became a teacher that he realized it was a terrible plan between teaching, meetings and grading papers the only time he had to write were over breaks and hed cram as much as he could in lol

Haven't read it yet but I hear it's phenominal. Thanks for the insight, with online classes and budget cuts teachers are more strapped then ever, especially here in California.

BroncoBuff
03-20-2012, 01:53 PM
Did you like Welcome to Hell? Here's more from Patrick Turley:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ox7QqX5KL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Was it boot camp that drove you mad?

Seriously though, Marine boot camp ... right there you're a better man than I, sir.

BroncoBuff
03-20-2012, 02:06 PM
I'm curious, Rev ... which is a more realistic depiction of the actual experience?

http://www.metroactive.com/papers/sonoma/09.04.97/gifs/talk-pix-9736.jpg

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . OR

http://epguides.com/GomerPyleUSMC/cast.jpg

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ?

TheReverend
03-20-2012, 02:44 PM
Neither...

Rohirrim
03-20-2012, 03:01 PM
Congratulations, Rev. I have great boot camp stories, but of course, that was in the Army. ;D

TheReverend
03-20-2012, 03:02 PM
Congratulations, Rev. I have great boot camp stories, but of course, that was in the Army. ;D

I thought you said "great stories" ???

:)

TD4HOF
03-20-2012, 03:07 PM
That's awesome. Congrats, Sir.

BroncoBuff
03-20-2012, 03:07 PM
Hey what's the local temperature down there about trading for Tebow?

TheReverend
03-20-2012, 03:11 PM
Hey what's the local temperature down there about trading for Tebow?

I was hoping someone would try and turn this into a Tebow thread!

Steve Prefontaine
03-20-2012, 03:58 PM
Wow. Congrats Rev. I will definitely check it out.

rbackfactory80
03-22-2012, 07:29 PM
I'll buy it Rev.

Class of April 2004 forever -4 lyphe

TheReverend
03-22-2012, 08:11 PM
Wow. Congrats Rev. I will definitely check it out.

Thanks man. It should be well worth your while, for sure. I'm pretty proud, but also realllllllllllllllllllllllllly sensitive about this one, all things considered.

I'll buy it Rev.

Class of April 2004 forever -4 lyphe

LOL I'm writing a mystery novel right now... considering sneaking that in there somewhere haha.

BroncoBuff
03-23-2012, 12:13 AM
Rev, you might want to contact the Amazon Vine program (http://www.amazon.com/gp/vine/help) to start some buzz on their site. You give them 10-12 copies, they pass them out free-of-charge to Vine reviewers, who read and promptly post written reviews on the product page.

It must work, Catharine and I have been Vine people for three-plus years, and every kind of manufacturer, author, seller wants in.

TheReverend
03-23-2012, 11:39 AM
Rev, you might want to contact the Amazon Vine program (http://www.amazon.com/gp/vine/help) to start some buzz on their site. You give them 10-12 copies, they pass them out free-of-charge to Vine reviewers, who read and promptly post written reviews on the product page.

It must work, Catharine and I have been Vine people for three-plus years, and every kind of manufacturer, author, seller wants in.

Thanks, Buff! Just sent that link along with my update to my publisher to see if he wants to give it a run if he doesn't already know of it.

Shananahan
03-23-2012, 12:36 PM
Nice work, dude. I used to write for a living and can't imagine putting a book together.

Hope it all goes well.

TheReverend
03-23-2012, 12:39 PM
Nice work, dude. I used to write for a living and can't imagine putting a book together.

Hope it all goes well.

It's a nightmare to do, but a great feeling when it's over.

Thanks, btw!

Dutch
03-23-2012, 08:49 PM
I just saw this thread. I don't know about anyone else, but sticky threads are like cloaking devices. Congrats Rev! I will get a copy once it comes out. I will insist on an autograph, too.

Agreed!LOL I go out to Pheonix for a weekend, and Patrick gets delusions of grandeur! Kidding Bro', just kidding! Seriously, though congrats and thanks for the kind words. Looking forward to reading it, and will be picking several copies up for the lengthy list of Formers that my Little Brother and I served with.

Dutch
03-23-2012, 09:22 PM

http://cade14.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/hartman.jpg?w=640

R. Lee Ermey, brainwave. Now, drop and give me twenty!!

t-diddy
03-25-2012, 12:58 AM
Thats awesome Rev! Congrats.

zdoor
03-25-2012, 09:08 AM
Congrats Rev! Looking forward to checking it out. Best of luck on its success!

UberBroncoMan
03-25-2012, 02:21 PM
Big Congrats Rev.

Seriously, great job!

TheReverend
03-26-2012, 11:31 AM
Thanks guys! My fingers are crossed and my hopes are high from initial reports and feedback, but let's save the "big congrats" until we crack that bestseller list and I get my contract bonus :)

TheReverend
03-26-2012, 10:35 PM
Silly as I think this may be... book promotion must supercede personal feelings.

Please follow me at:

http://twitter.com/patrickturley

TheReverend
03-26-2012, 10:36 PM
FYI - My twitter is currently pretttttttttttttttttty gay trying to get some celebs to retweet to blow up followers.

Promise I'll be cooler on it in the future haha

Miss I.
03-26-2012, 11:21 PM
Silly as I think this may be... book promotion must supercede personal feelings.

Please follow me at:

http://twitter.com/patrickturley

dude, I can't follow you. At least that's what the restraining order says. ;D

TheReverend
03-27-2012, 10:40 AM
dude, I can't follow you. At least that's what the restraining order says. ;D

If I had a restraining order on anyone here, it would be baja and baja alone.

TheReverend
03-27-2012, 10:41 AM
...So apparently, I sold my first book yesterday??????? Ha!

I guess pre-orders are being taken on Amazon.com already. It's well in advance of August and pre-orders are only for the book and not the e or audio versions, but here's the link if anyone wants to dive in now!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1933909218/ref=ox_ya_os_product

Miss I.
03-27-2012, 11:25 AM
...So apparently, I sold my first book yesterday??????? Ha!

I guess pre-orders are being taken on Amazon.com already. It's well in advance of August and pre-orders are only for the book and not the e or audio versions, but here's the link if anyone wants to dive in now!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1933909218/ref=ox_ya_os_product

congrats! I am all over it. I love knowing smart people who not only read books, but can write them. Congratulations Rev!

TheReverend
03-27-2012, 11:28 AM
congrats! I am all over it. I love knowing smart people who not only read books, but can write them. Congratulations Rev!

I'm not after your congratulations.

...just your money :wiggle:

Miss I.
03-27-2012, 12:35 PM
I'm not after your congratulations.

...just your money :wiggle:

okay you whore, you got your money....;D But if you don't sign it for me I will punch you in the, oh wait, that's Spider's thing. If you don't sign it, well I probably won't do much except passively aggressively annoy you on the OM while filling all my posts with blatant grammatical errors. I already do, but it will be more consistent, or maybe more bipolar, depending on which is more annoying.

TheReverend
03-27-2012, 12:44 PM
okay you whore, you got your money....;D But if you don't sign it for me I will punch you in the, oh wait, that's Spider's thing. If you don't sign it, well I probably won't do much except passively aggressively annoy you on the OM while filling all my posts with blatant grammatical errors. I already do, but it will be more consistent, or maybe more bipolar, depending on which is more annoying.

This post is made more amusing by the edit.

Thanks! I'll be happy to sign that for you. I'll set something up as we near the actual release date for sure :)

jhns
03-27-2012, 12:47 PM
I will get it when the audio version comes out.

TheReverend
03-27-2012, 12:51 PM
I will get it when the audio version comes out.

Thanks man.

...but you really should consider both. You wouldnt want to miss out on some pretttttttttty sweet font, would you?

jhns
03-27-2012, 12:59 PM
Thanks man.

...but you really should consider both. You wouldnt want to miss out on some pretttttttttty sweet font, would you?

While the fonts are probably pretty cool, reading is just soooo 1920's.

Pretty much everyone in my family loves to read though. I will be sure to recommend it to them.

Miss I.
03-27-2012, 01:16 PM
Rev? are you doing the audio for your book or are they hiring some other bad ass like Chuck Norris or Tommy Lee Jones?

TheReverend
03-27-2012, 01:22 PM
While the fonts are probably pretty cool, reading is just soooo 1920's.

Pretty much everyone in my family loves to read though. I will be sure to recommend it to them.

Please do :)

Rev? are you doing the audio for your book or are they hiring some other bad ass like Chuck Norris or Tommy Lee Jones?

I shouldnt have anything to do with the audiobook. A company will just buy the audio rights and pay an advance and royalties and handle all of the details.

24champ
03-27-2012, 01:54 PM
Bert reading Rev's first book...

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_luoz1m2dXv1r6aoq4o1_250.gif

and his second....

http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/190583_o.gif

TheReverend
03-27-2012, 02:23 PM
Bert reading Rev's first book...

and his second....

http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/190583_o.gif

Bert exclusively reads my literature.

24champ
03-27-2012, 07:15 PM
Bert exclusively reads my literature.

Yeah, I forgot to ask...does this book come in hard copy?

I'm not a fan of paperback.

TheReverend
03-27-2012, 07:30 PM
Yeah, I forgot to ask...does this book come in hard copy?

I'm not a fan of paperback.

No, sorry man, but the paperback is significantly larger than normal if that makes up for it?

BroncoBuff
03-27-2012, 07:50 PM

LOL ... looks like he went mad himself.

BroncoBuff
03-27-2012, 07:52 PM
Miss I. set the bar .... I'm down with the idea, let's all pimp the Rev.

If you can't buy the book, next best thing is post comments and review the books. Assuming you've read them of course ... best not to fake it, never sounds right. In fact I think be careful going overboard even if you have read it. Rev, maybe you could start a chain-mail copy of your first book Diary of a Madman, I'd definitely read it, review it and send it along (maybe even a copy of Welcome to Hell).

This is the Amazon link (http://www.amazon.com/Welcome-Hell-Thirteen-Weeks-Marine/dp/1933909218), just taking pre-release orders now (August Rev?). I added a few search tags, click "I AGREE" the tag terms make sense, add a few of your own. You can click the "ask the publisher to provide a digital version" link, too.

This is the Amazon link to Diary of a Madman (http://www.paperbackswap.com/Diary-Madman-Patrick-Turley/book/1419629824/) (seven reviews, all 5-stars? No gushing people!)
Here's a page (http://www.paperbackswap.com/Diary-Madman-Patrick-Turley/book/1419629824/) for comments maybe, and Rev you could upload a cover image of Diary here (http://www.openisbn.com/author/Patrick_Turley/225339).

Chop chop people, we have books to sell.

TheReverend
03-27-2012, 07:52 PM
You guys are great.

Make sure to follow me on twitter @patrickturley

Also, I'm batting around this idea which I think will do really well:

Some t-shirts with the USMC EGA logo on the front and "#WelcomeToHell" in big font across the back shoulders with my website in much smaller font underneath (not yet determined haha)

Think it would really cool!

Would offer green with black print and red with gold print. Looks cool and strong promotional tool.

Also, I'm looking at charities to donate a % to with it.

Miss I.
03-27-2012, 11:10 PM
Is Diary of Madman yours too? I don't want to be pimping some wannabe Patrick Turley.

broncosteven
03-27-2012, 11:15 PM
You guys are great.

Some t-shirts with the USMC EGA logo on the front and "#WelcomeToHell" in big font across the back shoulders with my website in much smaller font underneath (not yet determined haha)

Would offer green with black print and red with gold print. Looks cool and strong promotional tool.

Make sure they are white so you can have a white tee shirt contest fundraiser...you know, for sick kids!

24champ
03-27-2012, 11:42 PM
No, sorry man, but the paperback is significantly larger than normal if that makes up for it?

http://0.asset.soup.io/asset/1526/8208_4bfe.gif

Just kidding. That's ok, I just prefer hard covers because they look nicer on the book shelf.

TheReverend
03-28-2012, 06:28 AM
Is Diary of Madman yours too? I don't want to be pimping some wannabe Patrick Turley.

It is, but it shouldnt be available. I had it pulled and am getting the rights back so I can rewrite and resell it at some point.

Broncos_OTM
03-28-2012, 07:20 AM
You sign it, ill buy it. Hope it does well for you.

Dutch
03-28-2012, 01:40 PM
You guys are great.

The shirts would be great. As for charities:

Wounded Warrior Project:
https://support.woundedwarriorproject.org/Default.aspx?tsid=66&campaignSource=CDRO&source=B100127
would be an obvious/timely one. Plus, I've done quite a bit of volunteer work for them....good bunch, and the money/support gets to the people who need it.

Operation Homefront:
http://www.operationhomefront.net/
again, a solid organization helping out military families in need. For those of us that have deployed to a combat zone, not much will dick with your dope more than money/family issues at home. I've also done quite a bit of volunteering with these folks and they are good at what they do.

Patrick,
Why don't you consider setting up your own foundation once you have the ball rolling with the book revenue. Maybe waiting until your next book takes off (the second of many- I'm thinking;D), then set up a scholarship fund for a Marine dependent or for an Honorably Discharged former Marine.

Nice to see you looking to give back, doesn't suprise me a bit. Keep up the good work, and keep making us proud.
Semper Fi, Brother

Rock Chalk
03-28-2012, 01:50 PM
In b4 deservedly lost in wash of Manning craze

Congrats Pat.

I wont read it or buy it just like I didnt the last guy who published a book but I will offer you my sincerest congratulations on writing and getting a book published. Well done sir.

TheReverend
03-28-2012, 01:56 PM
The shirts would be great. As for charities:

Wounded Warrior Project:
https://support.woundedwarriorproject.org/Default.aspx?tsid=66&campaignSource=CDRO&source=B100127
would be an obvious/timely one. Plus, I've done quite a bit of volunteer work for them....good bunch, and the money/support gets to the people who need it.

Operation Homefront:
http://www.operationhomefront.net/
again, a solid organization helping out military families in need. For those of us that have deployed to a combat zone, not much will dick with your dope more than money/family issues at home. I've also done quite a bit of volunteering with these folks and they are good at what they do.

Patrick,
Why don't you consider setting up your own foundation once you have the ball rolling with the book revenue. Maybe waiting until your next book takes off (the second of many- I'm thinking;D), then set up a scholarship fund for a Marine dependent or for an Honorably Discharged former Marine.

Nice to see you looking to give back, doesn't suprise me a bit. Keep up the good work, and keep making us proud.
Semper Fi, Brother

Thanks Dave.

Currently I'm leaning towards Wounded Warrior and even reached out to send them an email on who to contact to work my publisher and I to get something going for them. I realize WWP is mainstream and gets a lot of money... but the cause NEEDS a lot of money!

Would LOVE to be able to do my own foundation in the future if I can do well enough.

Also, wanted to show you this:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj73/thereverend316/Dutch.jpg

^ From the advance copies. So far you're definitely still in. Twice haha.

Also, here's the initial prototype for the promo T-shirts:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj73/thereverend316/ShirtPrototype.png

^ Scrapped the EGA idea because I didnt want to get into a licensing issue with the USMC over a couple hundred promotional t-shirts Ha!

broncosteven
03-28-2012, 01:58 PM

Gene Kranz reading this would be awesome though he served in the Air Force as a fighter and test pilot before becoming the greatest technical project manager ever.

That One Guy
03-28-2012, 02:50 PM
Thanks Dave.

Currently I'm leaning towards Wounded Warrior and even reached out to send them an email on who to contact to work my publisher and I to get something going for them. I realize WWP is mainstream and gets a lot of money... but the cause NEEDS a lot of money!

Would LOVE to be able to do my own foundation in the future if I can do well enough.

^ Scrapped the EGA idea because I didnt want to get into a licensing issue with the USMC over a couple hundred promotional t-shirts Ha!

Looks very Chinese-ish at first glance.

TheReverend
03-28-2012, 02:58 PM
Looks very Chinese-ish at first glance.

LOL

I had a friend tell me it looks too Soviet Union

Dutch
03-28-2012, 07:46 PM
Thanks Dave.

I agree with you completely on the WWP. They do great work. I understand the reluctance to go mainstream with the charity work as there are soooo many that need help right now. However, you nailed it. Those folks need all the help they can get, not just what they do for the individual servicemembers....but for their families as well. I've met more young spouses who are dealing with situations that they have no idea how to even approach, not to mention feeling like they are all alone handling them.......it is tough. That to me is one of the most valuable aspects of WWP. The sense of belonging, help, direction, and hope they give to not only the wounded....but their loved ones.

Laughed out loud when I saw the stories in print, too cool. Just wish I had sent you the "DT 500" in time!;D

Have to agree on the shirt logo......blech! how bout the good old USMC Bulldog? I think that is one reason you see so many of them, avoids the legal crap with the Corps. Looking forward to reading the book, and again....Congrats!

TheReverend
03-28-2012, 07:55 PM
I agree with you completely on the WWP. They do great work. I understand the reluctance to go mainstream with the charity work as there are soooo many that need help right now. However, you nailed it. Those folks need all the help they can get, not just what they do for the individual servicemembers....but for their families as well. I've met more young spouses who are dealing with situations that they have no idea how to even approach, not to mention feeling like they are all alone handling them.......it is tough. That to me is one of the most valuable aspects of WWP. The sense of belonging, help, direction, and hope they give to not only the wounded....but their loved ones.

Laughed out loud when I saw the stories in print, too cool. Just wish I had sent you the "DT 500" in time!;D

Have to agree on the shirt logo......blech! how bout the good old USMC Bulldog? I think that is one reason you see so many of them, avoids the legal crap with the Corps. Looking forward to reading the book, and again....Congrats!

Do you get Leatherneck magazine? I'm getting emails that I'm in this Aprils issue lol? I need to go get one and check it out.

And whatever man, you'll wear that shirt and like it Ha!

Dutch
03-29-2012, 12:28 AM
Do you get Leatherneck magazine? I'm getting emails that I'm in this Aprils issue lol? I need to go get one and check it out.

And whatever man, you'll wear that shirt and like it Ha!

Haven't read Leatherneck since back in the old days (was actually burned onto real leather back then.....just thought I would beat you to it;D), but I'll see if my younger Brother has a current copy. I'll check with my crew from Op Homefront as well. Got a couple of youngens in there.

And yeah, I'll sport the shirt....but I want the black on green, it will also look less like a Russian/Chinese thing.:thumbs:

TheReverend
03-29-2012, 05:15 PM
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj73/thereverend316/ColorComps.png

Top 3 favorite color schemes?

And of course I'm considering this one:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj73/thereverend316/OrangewNavy.png

TheReverend
03-30-2012, 06:01 PM
^ Logo is going to dramatically. Buddy made a pretty awesome bulldog wearing campaign cover that works well in one color.

Here's the fonts I'm down to deciding over:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj73/thereverend316/StrongerFonts.jpg

TheReverend
03-30-2012, 06:04 PM
I think 4 and 5 are my favorites.

Dutch
03-30-2012, 08:30 PM

Had an idea, get a clothing stamp kit (like the ones we had to use in boot to mark everything), and try finding a font and the spacing to match that. It wouldn't mean much to those that didn't go through it, but I bet more than a few of us who did would make the connection. #4 is close, just a bit "thick" as far as the font goes.

TheReverend
03-30-2012, 08:38 PM
Had an idea, get a clothing stamp kit (like the ones we had to use in boot to mark everything), and try finding a font and the spacing to match that. It wouldn't mean much to those that didn't go through it, but I bet more than a few of us who did would make the connection. #4 is close, just a bit "thick" as far as the font goes.

I agree, but it looks a little better when the W T and H are capitalized.

Here's what I'm leaning towards right now.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj73/thereverend316/PotentialBack.jpg

Dutch
03-30-2012, 08:54 PM
http://www.fonts.com/findfonts/detail.htm?productid=174109

Go to this site and type in #WELCOMETOHELL in the preview box and see what you think. I like it.

TheReverend
03-30-2012, 09:15 PM
http://www.fonts.com/findfonts/detail.htm?productid=174109

Go to this site and type in #WELCOMETOHELL in the preview box and see what you think. I like it.

I like it a lot. I personally think the undertones arent as "obvious" as the stenciling one, but I'll add it to my list of fonts I'm gathering opinions on.

Next week when I get back from vacation (yes, another) I'll be making the final decisions on the font and logo (back to the bulldog lol)

Dutch
03-30-2012, 09:25 PM
I like it a lot. I personally think the undertones arent as "obvious" as the stenciling one, but I'll add it to my list of fonts I'm gathering opinions on.

Next week when I get back from vacation (yes, another) I'll be making the final decisions on the font and logo (back to the bulldog lol)

Hey, you're a writer. Technically you are always "working", right?;D I think the Bulldog with campaign cover works great as we were surrounded by those images during BC. Not to mention the "Bulldog" DI's. I do like the way that font I sent has a "stamped" appearance.

That One Guy
03-30-2012, 09:49 PM
I like the stencil idea.

Miss I.
03-30-2012, 11:59 PM
I dig the stencil also. Reminds me of the stenciling on grandpas marine corps boot camp footlocker at my parents house in arizona though now my godson will have it for college in the fall. It was that military green with white stenciling I think. I'd have stolen it could I have figured out a way to be sneaky with a big trunk. Also saw his mc uniform from 1942 in really good shape. For a big dude my grandpa had narrow shoulders

Requiem
03-31-2012, 07:52 PM
Rev, I could make you better logos and designs than that.

Dutch
03-31-2012, 11:37 PM
I dig the stencil also. Reminds me of the stenciling on grandpas marine corps boot camp footlocker at my parents house in arizona though now my godson will have it for college in the fall. It was that military green with white stenciling I think. I'd have stolen it could I have figured out a way to be sneaky with a big trunk. Also saw his mc uniform from 1942 in really good shape. For a big dude my grandpa had narrow shoulders

Lean, mean, US Marine. (Emphasis on lean! We like 'em that way!)

See, I knew you came from good stock!:approve:

From "Generation Kill": The Marines are like America's pit bull. They starve us, beat us, and mistreat us...then every once in a while, they let us out to kill somebody.

Dutch
03-31-2012, 11:41 PM

Well get with it, you! Show us what you got! Remember that you can't use the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor without raising the ire of the Corps (they've become MUCH more protective of that in the last decade). By the way, did you ever find yourself a Cherokee?

TheReverend
04-01-2012, 08:53 AM

I'm going with a different for now and those are just up to show color schemes.

But do it!

McDman
04-01-2012, 05:15 PM

You know what they say about men with narrow shoulders...

snowspot66
04-01-2012, 06:57 PM

One and four read the easiest and will transfer to any medium (print, stitching, etc) with the fewest potential issues. When you find one you like stand across the room and see if it's still easily distinguishable.

Requiem
04-02-2012, 01:31 PM
Well get with it, you! Show us what you got! Remember that you can't use the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor without raising the ire of the Corps (they've become MUCH more protective of that in the last decade). By the way, did you ever find yourself a Cherokee?

I'll work on them tomorrow on my day off. No, still haven't found a Cherokee yet. Actually have a change of plans. Going to fly around the states for a while, (see my grandma, she's dying), head out to Porcupine Mountains in the UP of Michigan and enjoy a week or so in the wilderness and resume my job hunt. The only thing I'm motivated about right now is making myself a better person and more well-rounded. I'll be 25 in April and I'm hittin' that quarter century crisis. It's time I finally do somethin' for me.

Miss I.
04-02-2012, 01:32 PM
You know what they say about men with narrow shoulders...

Dude! That's my grandpa you are talking about, my deceased grandpa no less..dang...why you got to play me like that broheim?

TheReverend
04-06-2012, 08:52 AM
Going with this for the front logo unless Req can put something great together:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj73/thereverend316/BulldogHead.png

Dutch
04-06-2012, 11:02 AM
Not bad at all, Patrick. Much better than the other one. Come on Req, show us what you got!

That One Guy
04-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Going with this for the front logo unless Req can put something great together:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj73/thereverend316/BulldogHead.png

With some photoshop touch ups that could be cool. Right now it looks like the hat is behind the dog rather than the dog wearing it.

Dutch
04-06-2012, 11:56 AM
With some photoshop touch ups that could be cool. Right now it looks like the hat is behind the dog rather than the dog wearing it.

Good point. Shouldn't be to tough to fix though.

That One Guy
04-06-2012, 12:21 PM
Good point. Shouldn't be to tough to fix though.

Agreed. Especially if the original files still exist.

TheReverend
04-06-2012, 12:27 PM
Agreed. Especially if the original files still exist.

Its being taken care of :)

Dukes
04-06-2012, 02:04 PM
Glad to hear you are considering donating a % to charity. Wounded Warrior would be fantastic as Dutch said. I read the last few pages but I must have missed what your plan for the shirts was. Are you selling them as promo items? I'd like one in black. :thumbsup:

TheReverend
04-06-2012, 02:29 PM
Glad to hear you are considering donating a % to charity. Wounded Warrior would be fantastic as Dutch said. I read the last few pages but I must have missed what your plan for the shirts was. Are you selling them as promo items? I'd like one in black. :thumbsup:

Definitely not considering. I WILL be donating a decent chunk to charity. I want to try and push it to a % of ALL the book proceeds instead of just mine (without publisher or agent cuts so the charity would get more $).

The shirts are only planned to be a moderately clever promo thing... and proceeds of the shirts will NOT benefiting a charity OR me. The price will be to pay of the shirts and make more. If they happen to take off for whatever reason, I'll restructure it to benefit charity AND me (and I have a merchandising clause in my contract where my publisher will get half too :/ )

Bronco Vixen
04-08-2012, 08:04 AM
Well done sir. I think it was Hunter S. Thompson who said "writing is the opposite of sex - it's only good when it's over."

Not sure if the following is a reflection of Marines, your posse, or us Mane inhabitants but check out what "Customers Who Viewed Your Item Also Viewed":

http://www.amazon.com/Welcome-Hell-Thirteen-Weeks-Marine/dp/1933909218/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333893240&sr=8-1

Brilliant!

TheReverend
04-08-2012, 08:08 AM
Well done sir. I think it was Hunter S. Thompson who said "writing is the opposite of sex - it's only good when it's over."

Not sure if the following is a reflection of Marines, your posse, or us Mane inhabitants but check out what "Customers Who Viewed Your Item Also Viewed":

http://www.amazon.com/Welcome-Hell-Thirteen-Weeks-Marine/dp/1933909218/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333893240&sr=8-1

Brilliant!

Hahahaha, I actually screen shotted that a week or so ago when I first noticed it. Ha!