PDA

View Full Version : Does PM signing change your draft preferences?

That One Guy
03-19-2012, 01:30 PM
I know there were a lot of people that thought we needed to blow up the WR corps. I think the guys we have are perfectly fine now.

For me, personally, I'd like to see them accept the situation and start looking for QBOTF now. Manning probably wouldn't like it so it probably won't happen but it's why I'd love if Tebow can somehow be turned into Gabbert - maybe even if it were Tebow and a pick.

The D woes really don't change any but I sincerely think Tebow brought as much fanfare as Manning will so this won't be an increase on the business side. This move was made for the sake of winning. If they're going to try to win now, they need to get DTs from FA. That takes DT out of play for the draft for me, as well. I guess I couldn't argue against DT depth, though.

I think the hardest thing is trying to figure out if they envision Mays starting next year. If so, MLB is probably #1 with corner pretty close.

So what do you say? With the win now mentality in place, what is the solution?

lolcopter
03-19-2012, 01:32 PM
Tebow is better than gabbert right now. I really wish people would stop mentioning that clown

Draft defense and maybe snag someone like osweiler in the 2nd to develop

Baba Booey
03-19-2012, 01:32 PM
A good young running back (in the second round or later) and as much defensive help as possible (MLB, DT, or CB in the first).

That One Guy
03-19-2012, 01:34 PM
A good young running back and as much defensive help as possible.

The problem with the Broncos run game has been short yardage for quite some time. In Indy, they often just let Peyton pick up those short yardage scenarios with quick passing because they had no running game. I would say McGahee is plenty competent compared to what Manning has had the last few years.

Agamemnon
03-19-2012, 01:35 PM
If anyone doesn't think signing Manning totally changes our approach to the draft, they are certifiable.

That One Guy
03-19-2012, 01:37 PM
Tebow is better than gabbert right now. I really wish people would stop mentioning that clown

Draft defense and maybe snag someone like osweiler in the 2nd to develop

Well it's just accepted that Tebow is gone.

I wouldn't have minded Quinn staying around. I just want someone who can potentially be the QBOTF behind Manning. So often they keep these guys as backups that you dread EVER having to see take the field. I'd rather they just pay up front and get someone that can be taking advantage of the experience. Too many in the league want to address QB when they have a need for one and when you need one, it's already too late to get one.

maher_tyler
03-19-2012, 01:39 PM
Still take a DT in the 1st but in the 2nd take Foles. Other than Foles in the 2nd, we need to draft the same way we would have had we not signed PM, imo.

Drek
03-19-2012, 01:42 PM
Well it's just accepted that Tebow is gone.

I wouldn't have minded Quinn staying around. I just want someone who can potentially be the QBOTF behind Manning. So often they keep these guys as backups that you dread EVER having to see take the field. I'd rather they just pay up front and get someone that can be taking advantage of the experience. Too many in the league want to address QB when they have a need for one and when you need one, it's already too late to get one.

It doesn't need to be though.

If the FO would talk to Tebow like grown adults and explain to him that there are no starting jobs waiting for him out there, that in Denver he gets to stay where he's familiar and learn for two or three years, and that then after Manning is done he gets to take over a playoff caliber team. You do that and you get to keep a very young, very talented QB in house.

OBF1
03-19-2012, 01:52 PM
Man this place is home to many village idiots.

Nothing changes, we still need DEFENSE.... unless you did not watch a single game the past 5+ seasons

uk bronco
03-19-2012, 01:54 PM
I think we will pick a WR in the first now we signed Manning. He needs more weapons at WR we have Decker and Thomas who are very good but Willis is not a number 3 WR and with Royal gone we are mighty thin there and i dont see Jason Hill tearing it up. There is a lot of talent at WR in this draft and i would be very surprised if Manning hasnt been told he will get a shiny new toy in the first round and his buddy Clark on the way.

Edit, just seen on Twitter Brandon Stokely making a visit :)

edog24
I think we need to draft OL or DL. IMO, OL became a higher priority for us now because if Peyton goes down then we are really screwed.

DENVERDUI55
CB, LB, or DT. UDFA rb's and find a fit.

gunns
03-19-2012, 01:56 PM
Nope, I still want defense, defense, defense. I'm not understanding why we are getting rid of Tebow.

jhns
03-19-2012, 01:57 PM
Nope. I would like to see BPA again this draft. This team needs players at almost every position.

Agamemnon
03-19-2012, 01:57 PM

Nothing changes, we still need DEFENSE.... unless you did not watch a single game the past 5+ seasons

Because we have sooooo much talent on offense?

Agamemnon
03-19-2012, 01:58 PM
I'm not understanding why we are getting rid of Tebow.

Isn't it clear? EFX want nothing to do with him.

That One Guy
03-19-2012, 02:04 PM
Isn't it clear? EFX want nothing to do with his fans.

FYP

RADRHATR
03-19-2012, 02:04 PM
Defense, Defense, Defense

CEH
03-19-2012, 02:05 PM
Speed , Speed and more speed from the draft.

broncswin
03-19-2012, 02:07 PM
Defense...RB...OL...Defense...Defense...QB...Defen se...Defense...Defense............................ ........Defense

That One Guy
03-19-2012, 02:07 PM

Things started out hot last year on D. The problem I have is that DL has to happen first and foremost but if they want to win now, you don't build your DL through the draft. Without a good DL, LBs and corners won't be any use.

The D was iffy last year but so was the O. Peyton can be a difference maker to take the O to a top level (assuming he's healthy) so do you try to build a solid D and hope Manning sorts out the problems on O or do you try to build a top tier O and hope the iffy D gets hot like Indy's D did, the Pack's D did, etc?

broncosteven
03-19-2012, 02:08 PM
We still need to aquire 1 more QB, if they move Tebow then it's 2. If their QB is on the board when we pick I would be cool with them taking him 1st. Then we can fill out DT, CB and depth from there.

Rabb
03-19-2012, 02:14 PM
keep building that D baby

RADRHATR
03-19-2012, 02:18 PM
Speed , Speed and more speed from the draft.

Is this Al Davis in the afterlife??

Pony Boy
03-19-2012, 02:23 PM
keep building that D baby

fist-bump

Lestat
03-19-2012, 02:44 PM
as a whole i don't think it changes the strategy in terms of who they target. what i do think it will change is their aggressiveness in making sure they land the guys they want. before they might have traded back or stayed at #25, i firmly believe now that they will shoot for a top 15 pick and attempt to land a top tier guy to shore up a hole. it wouldn't shock me to see them attempt to land Floyd,DeCastro or Richardson.

but i fully expect them to go heavy on D and pick a Poe,Cox,Coples,Ingram or Kirkpatrick

Crushaholic
03-19-2012, 02:46 PM
I'd like another pass rusher, please...

cmhargrove
03-19-2012, 02:48 PM
So many holes that we can hardly go wrong. Obviously the biggest questions still might be answered in free agency.

Do we re-sign Bunkley?
Do we get Saturday/Clark?
How about Ryan Diem? - LG is still a concern.
Did we actually fix any problems at Safety, or just get more lateral depth?

In the next 2 weeks, we will probably see our needs unfold a little more clearly.

Drek
03-19-2012, 02:48 PM
as a whole i don't think it changes the strategy in terms of who they target. what i do think it will change is their aggressiveness in making sure they land the guys they want. before they might have traded back or stayed at #25, i firmly believe now that they will shoot for a top 15 pick and attempt to land a top tier guy to shore up a hole. it wouldn't shock me to see them attempt to land Floyd,DeCastro or Richardson.

but i fully expect them to go heavy on D and pick a Poe,Cox,Coples,Ingram or Kirkpatrick

The hell they gonna trade to move up 10 picks?

Now that they've got Manning they need to spend the #25 pick to get Wallace. Manning has made some solid WRs look ok, imagine what he'd do with a collection of natural talent like Wallace, Thomas, and Decker.

Garcia Bronco
03-19-2012, 02:50 PM
I know there were a lot of people that thought we needed to blow up the WR corps. I think the guys we have are perfectly fine now.

For me, personally, I'd like to see them accept the situation and start looking for QBOTF now. Manning probably wouldn't like it so it probably won't happen but it's why I'd love if Tebow can somehow be turned into Gabbert - maybe even if it were Tebow and a pick.

The D woes really don't change any but I sincerely think Tebow brought as much fanfare as Manning will so this won't be an increase on the business side. This move was made for the sake of winning. If they're going to try to win now, they need to get DTs from FA. That takes DT out of play for the draft for me, as well. I guess I couldn't argue against DT depth, though.

I think the hardest thing is trying to figure out if they envision Mays starting next year. If so, MLB is probably #1 with corner pretty close.

So what do you say? With the win now mentality in place, what is the solution?

No. But in the late order we are in... BPA.

yerner
03-19-2012, 02:50 PM

Now that they've got Manning they need to spend the #25 pick to get Wallace. Manning has made some solid WRs look ok, imagine what he'd do with a collection of natural talent like Wallace, Thomas, and Decker.

they are not paying mike wallace the money it would require for the steelers not to be able to match.

barryr
03-19-2012, 02:53 PM
they are not paying mike wallace the money it would require for the steelers not to be able to match.

Agreed, I as all for it before, but I don't think the Broncos would or could offer a deal the Steelers can't match and they probably really want to keep him.

Chris
03-19-2012, 02:54 PM

If the FO would talk to Tebow like grown adults and explain to him that there are no starting jobs waiting for him out there, that in Denver he gets to stay where he's familiar and learn for two or three years, and that then after Manning is done he gets to take over a playoff caliber team. You do that and you get to keep a very young, very talented QB in house.

Which is logical, but they don't want anything to do with him. His fanbase scares them.

cmhargrove
03-19-2012, 02:55 PM

If you want to get a burner with plenty of upside (without an overblown contract), just take a shot on Stephen Hill in this year's draft. Hill and Thomas on the outside would be a mismatch for a lot of corner tandems in this league. He probably goes in the upper half of the second round.

Chris
03-19-2012, 02:55 PM
Now it's clear that we're gunning for SB contention maybe you draft a guy like Poe who has tons of upside but a questionable motor and hope that he catches the bug.

barryr
03-19-2012, 03:00 PM
Now it's clear that we're gunning for SB contention maybe you draft a guy like Poe who has tons of upside but a questionable motor and hope that he catches the bug.

No thanks. He has combine workout warrior, bust on the field written all over him. With that size and speed in a weak conference and he manages only 33 tackles and one sack?

cmhargrove
03-19-2012, 03:01 PM

Don't listen to the reports, watch his game film - Poe Sucks. He was an average player that couldn't defeat C-USA O-linemen. He plays slow and weak.

If Poe is there with our second round pick, he might be worth a shot.

elsid13
03-19-2012, 03:08 PM
The questions were does Tannehill land? If Cleveland doesn't pick him at 4, does he slide to us in mid twenties? It would be the perfect place for him, it would give hime time to gain experience as QB and give Denver a potential long term starter at QB.

lonestar
03-19-2012, 03:18 PM
OTTOMH

the Manning signing really does nothing to screw up the draft.. unless they do not adress some of this via FA..

DT we still need a stud to work with Bunkley if hs is still around, maybe even two of them.

CB Champ ain't getting any younger. goody is for crap .. maybe even 2

TE pass catching.

MLB need a stud to plug the tackle to tackle box.

WLB IMO dj is a loser IF he plays this year at all. Woodyard not sure at 220 is big enough to be a full-time starter..

OLT clady has not been the guy he was before his knee injury. and frankly he is due next year for a whopper of a contract.. IN his own mind at least.. IIRC he is the guy that had second most holding calls in the NFL last year..

DE to groom for an upgrade on DOOM.. not sure we can afford to have a one trick pony there for the money he is making.. Maybe Ayers is the guy, this year is make or break for him..

Safety not so sure these guys are the answers.. MAybe anther premium CB so Champ can slide into the middle..

Now if they go after Saturday as OC then we have depth we need on the OL
If they go after the colts old TE we are ok for a year or two.

Lycan
03-19-2012, 03:23 PM
MLB is still our primary need IMO.

If we sign McClain that would change, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen.

Lestat
03-19-2012, 03:23 PM
if you like the guy enough you can deal a future first and some other picks to do so. i'm not saying they will, i just think that we'll be in win now mode and wanna get a slam dunk pick in the eyes of the FO now.

Lestat
03-19-2012, 03:25 PM
he's a lock to go top 12 right now. he's stock on the rise, he's the franchise QB build(6-4 222) and you have Cleveland,Miami and you could say maybe the Chiefs need a QB. but Miami and Cleveland are enough to get him in the top 12.
The questions were does Tannehill land? If Cleveland doesn't pick him at 4, does he slide to us in mid twenties? It would be the perfect place for him, it would give hime time to gain experience as QB and give Denver a potential long term starter at QB.

barryr
03-19-2012, 03:26 PM
if you like the guy enough you can deal a future first and some other picks to do so. i'm not saying they will, i just think that we'll be in win now mode and wanna get a slam dunk pick in the eyes of the FO now.

They could just as easily trade the #25 to Carolina for Stewart.

pricejj
03-19-2012, 03:31 PM
1st round WR (Wright, or Hill)...put it in the books.

If you think we are going to sign Peyton Manning and have him go with only 2 WR sets (DT, and Decker), you are dead wrong.

pricejj
03-19-2012, 03:31 PM

This ain't Foxball no more bro...

Lestat
03-19-2012, 03:33 PM
i think that Hill and Wright go higher than our picks.
Hill is gonna go really high due to his combine and how Johnson and Thomas have done well in the NFL(obviously Megatron is the best WR in the NFL).

If you think we are going to sign Peyton Manning and have him go with only 2 WR sets (DT, and Decker), you are dead wrong.

elsid13
03-19-2012, 03:34 PM

It is deep draft for WR , I would be surprised they address that position before shoring up the lines.

Lestat
03-19-2012, 03:34 PM
sure, if you mean #25 in the 2nd round.

barryr
03-19-2012, 03:35 PM
This ain't Foxball no more bro...

Elway knows how good a running game worked for him when he was 36 years old.

barryr
03-19-2012, 03:36 PM
sure, if you mean #25 in the 2nd round.

Works for me.

pricejj
03-19-2012, 03:38 PM
i think that Hill and Wright go higher than our picks.
Hill is gonna go really high due to his combine and how Johnson and Thomas have done well in the NFL(obviously Megatron is the best WR in the NFL).

Wright will slip unless he burns at his Pro Day. Hill is unproven, and might have the dropsies. I think Micheal Floyd will be taken off the board before either of these two (at about #20).

Drek
03-19-2012, 03:42 PM
Agreed, I as all for it before, but I don't think the Broncos would or could offer a deal the Steelers can't match and they probably really want to keep him.

The new cap structure where money paid in that year has to hit that cap year makes it entirely possible. A solid contract for Wallace that is front loaded would exceed the Steelers' available cap room, making it impossible for them to drop him.

Having already renegotiated almost all major contracts on their roster just to be able to tender their RFAs they would be hard pressed to find new money in the five short days they'd have to match.

Best number I can find says they have about $5M in cap room left. Some of that needs to go to sign their draft picks. Not exactly a hard number for us to blow apart with an offer, letting us steal Mike Wallace easily.

Give him $10M in a signing bonus with competitive salary throughout the rest of the deal and he's yours, if you ask me.

DENVERDUI55
03-19-2012, 03:52 PM
I'd like to trade back for another 2 and whatever else we could get a 3 or 4.

Lestat
03-19-2012, 03:52 PM
he doesn't have to burn, he's a Slot with wiggle that people will liken to the Pats use of Welker. Hill is a big dude with raw speed and untapped potential, they always go higher than they should.
i think Floyd is long gone by 20. 8-15 is where i'd peg him. big, tall, physical when he wants to be and can go up and get it.

now a guy like Randle from LSU will likely be there at #25 for the taking.
Wright will slip unless he burns at his Pro Day. Hill is unproven, and might have the dropsies. I think Micheal Floyd will be taken off the board before either of these two (at about #20).

Cito Pelon
03-19-2012, 04:15 PM

I hope that is what occurs.

Requiem
03-19-2012, 07:32 PM
Build our defense with two of our early picks, use a second or third (whatever didn't address defense) with a position player who can help Manning and the O.

I do not want us to draft a QB to develop earlier than the fourth round. Drafting a player early means you intend on starting them sometime soon. Peyton plays at least two years. I think we find our heir in 2013. I think Ryan Lindley would be a good fit and a quality developmental prospect.

enjolras
03-19-2012, 07:42 PM
I do not want us to draft a QB to develop earlier than the fourth round. Drafting a player early means you intend on starting them sometime soon. Peyton plays at least two years. I think we find our heir in 2013. I think Ryan Lindley would be a good fit and a quality developmental prospect.

Kellen Moore will likely be around in the 4th or 5th. He may be short, but I think he has a real chance to overcome it.

That One Guy
03-19-2012, 08:44 PM
Build our defense with two of our early picks, use a second or third (whatever didn't address defense) with a position player who can help Manning and the O.

The question becomes: do QBs drafted lower rarely succeed because they suck (hence their draft position) or do they not succeed because they're not given a chance?

I wouldn't expect to turn anyone into the next Tony Romo or Hasselbeck. If we thought we could do that, I see no reason why Weber can't be that person.

Requiem
03-19-2012, 09:18 PM
The question becomes: do QBs drafted lower rarely succeed because they suck (hence their draft position) or do they not succeed because they're not given a chance?

I wouldn't expect to turn anyone into the next Tony Romo or Hasselbeck. If we thought we could do that, I see no reason why Weber can't be that person.

Because they suck.

That One Guy
03-19-2012, 09:23 PM
Because they suck.

Well if they suck, history suggests they're almost always a waste of space. How many successful starting QBs were drafted in the 4th round or lower?

You just don't often seem to see guys come from the 4-7th round and become great QBs. Currently we have Romo, Brady, Hasselbeck... anyone else?

I just don't want them to draft a guy just to draft a guy. I want the guy to be the potential QBOTF as we have a random serviceable filler guy in Weber if we just want to waste space.

Requiem
03-19-2012, 09:50 PM
Well if they suck, history suggests they're almost always a waste of space. How many successful starting QBs were drafted in the 4th round or lower?

You just don't often seem to see guys come from the 4-7th round and become great QBs. Currently we have Romo, Brady, Hasselbeck... anyone else?

I just don't want them to draft a guy just to draft a guy. I want the guy to be the potential QBOTF as we have a random serviceable filler guy in Weber if we just want to waste space.

I think that Denver will have the opportunity 3-4 to get a player who could develop and be a successful quarterback behind Manning. Everyone knows that Peyton is on a 2-3 year gig hear at best. No better time than now to get someone who can show a kid a ropes.

I hope Osweiler and Lindley are options Denver would consider.

Don't rule out Kirk Cousins. From a mental aspect of the game I think he will approach it like Manning, so I could see a nice relationship there.

pricejj
03-19-2012, 10:08 PM
he doesn't have to burn, he's a Slot with wiggle that people will liken to the Pats use of Welker. Hill is a big dude with raw speed and untapped potential, they always go higher than they should.
i think Floyd is long gone by 20. 8-15 is where i'd peg him. big, tall, physical when he wants to be and can go up and get it.

now a guy like Randle from LSU will likely be there at #25 for the taking.

You might be on to something with Randle...definitely deserves a look. I also suspect there will be a top tier defender available if both Wright and Hill are gone.

Broncos are going to have to redo their entire draft board, and scour the WR crop from top to bottom.

Randle might be the guy that the Broncos are forced to reach on (from missing out on the UFA WR's).

Lestat
03-19-2012, 10:43 PM
honestly i don't think Randle would be a reach(if you're talking pick 20 or lower), he didn't put up sick numbers in college but Jordan Jefferson and Jarret Lee were his QB's. he's improved every year in college, but the thing about him is that he just didn't dominate like a Julio Jones,AJ Green & Justin Black who he is comparable to in skills and potential.

cutthemdown
03-19-2012, 10:50 PM
It doesnt change my preference. I would still love a great starting player!