PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Reports Broncos hopes of landing Manning have deminished

UberBroncoMan
03-17-2012, 02:04 PM
If valid this is a sign that we wasted all of FA doing nothing to get better. Mood around the Broncos kind of feels like the Cardinals did a few days ago.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/55532/titans-peyton-manning-looked-comfortable

Peyton Manning worked out for the Tennessee Titans in Knoxville Saturday morning and general manager Ruston Webster issued a short statement afterwards.

"This morning we traveled to Knoxville and had a workout with Peyton. I thought he looked comfortable throwing the ball and we had a good visit. This is another important step in the process."

Indications again seem to be that the Titans, San Francisco 49ers and Denver Broncos are competing to sign Manning, who’s now expected to make a decision early in the coming week.

The arm and health issues we thought would be a big deal for teams clearly have been addressed to the satisfaction of all three teams.

One report out of Denver, however, said the Broncos now have diminished expectations about landing Manning.

I like how the Titan GM mimics what Elway said. Classless subtle cheap shot.

RaiderH8r
03-17-2012, 02:07 PM
If valid this is a sign that we wasted all of FA doing nothing to get better.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/55532/titans-peyton-manning-looked-comfortable

Peyton Manning worked out for the Tennessee Titans in Knoxville Saturday morning and general manager Ruston Webster issued a short statement afterwards.

"This morning we traveled to Knoxville and had a workout with Peyton. I thought he looked comfortable throwing the ball and we had a good visit. This is another important step in the process."

Indications again seem to be that the Titans, San Francisco 49ers and Denver Broncos are competing to sign Manning, who’s now expected to make a decision early in the coming week.

The arm and health issues we thought would be a big deal for teams clearly have been addressed to the satisfaction of all three teams.

One report out of Denver, however, said the Broncos now have diminished expectations about landing Manning.

I like how the Titan GM mimics what Elway said. Classless subtle cheap shot.
They're managing expectations ahead of Monday's final failure. Nice work ladies.

Our crew has been made a laughing stock as they desperately chase their prize pig while ignoring the rest of the farm. The crash to reality is going to hit them hard and then someone should be fired.

Rolandftw
03-17-2012, 02:08 PM
nobody is getting fired after one year on the job.

Rohirrim
03-17-2012, 02:09 PM
There have been too many of these "speculations" out of the media. I'm going to wait for Monday, and a real announcement. Frankly, I don't think these media aholes have a clue what's going on.

Hell, they had no clue about the Niners.

RaiderH8r
03-17-2012, 02:10 PM

Xanders has been around more than a year. And he is just a failure at life. His only useful purpose is to be fired in situations like this.

theAPAOps5
03-17-2012, 02:10 PM
It was Mike Klis and he never said the team. It was very generic.

bpc
03-17-2012, 02:11 PM
At this point, I wish Bowlen would just sell the team and we start over from the owner on down. The city/fans deserve better than this BS. This franchise has become a joke and the only thing that semi put us back on the map was Tebow who has been lodged in a tug of war measure by whether the FO loves him or hates him, depending on the week. It appears like hate on my side.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-17-2012, 02:12 PM
Regardless of what happens, it was worth the shot. I'm pretty convinced this current team, with a few key free agents, is still a 6-10 team. Peyton would have changed that. Hopefully we get him, but regardless, it's worth the shot

crush17
03-17-2012, 02:12 PM
They're managing expectations ahead of Monday's final failure. Nice work ladies.

Our crew has been made a laughing stock as they desperately chase their prize pig while ignoring the rest of the farm. The crash to reality is going to hit them hard and then someone should be fired.

You sir, need to take some time and reflect on what is most important in life.

Wow.

SoCalBronco
03-17-2012, 02:13 PM
At this point, I wish Bowlen would just sell the team and we start over from the owner on down. The city/fans deserve better than this BS. This franchise has become a joke and the only thing that semi put us back on the map was Tebow who has been lodged in a tug of war measure by whether the FO loves him or hates him, depending on the week. It appears like hate on my side.

QFT.

vanbrugh
03-17-2012, 02:13 PM
Bowlen should have have walked away when he walked into the draft room last year......

RaiderH8r
03-17-2012, 02:14 PM
You sir, need to take some time and reflect on what is most important in life.

Wow.

I'm tending sick kids so my day is pretty much this and puke buckets.

RaiderH8r
03-17-2012, 02:15 PM
QFT.

We are getting the Bidwell model.

SoCalBronco
03-17-2012, 02:17 PM

Dude...don't insult Bidwell by comparing him to the old man. :)

DBroncos4life
03-17-2012, 02:17 PM
I like how the people didn't want now think people should be fired for not signing him.

BMarsh615
03-17-2012, 02:18 PM
They stole that from the Denver Post. The Post was talking about how excited the FANS were when they heard about Bowlens plane, and then how the FANS optimism diminished because of the news the 49ers were in the mix.

JCMElway
03-17-2012, 02:19 PM
I'm tending sick kids so my day is pretty much this and puke buckets.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rkZ2_nKo7II" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

maher_tyler
03-17-2012, 02:20 PM

I agree but I highly doubt it...idiots!!

Rohirrim
03-17-2012, 02:23 PM

The national popularity of Tebow has definitely ratcheted up the focus on the Broncos, and created a whole lot of hysteria, but many teams have found themselves in this situation in the past, with a great college QB who has difficulty transitioning and learning the skillset needed to succeed in the NFL. I guess McDaniels was lucky to drop this last bomb on this team before ducking out the side door. He doesn't have to take the fall for it, Elway does.

If there's one thing that is blatantly apparent, you need a franchise QB in this league. Who is Shanahan without Elway? Belichick without Brady? If Elway doesn't believe Tebow is that guy (and who would know better?) then it's his duty to go out and find that guy.

ScottXray
03-17-2012, 02:25 PM
Regardless of what happens, it was worth the shot. I'm pretty convinced this current team, with a few key free agents, is still a 6-10 team. Peyton would have changed that. Hopefully we get him, but regardless, it's worth the shot

Worth the shot yes....but I doubt Peyton adds more than 3 wins to the total..and since they have ignored virtually every other FA need on the team
we will be hard pressed to match last years record, even with Manning.

Chiefs have made some solid moves and if their hurt players return to form they are going to be hard to handle. SD is the same as always . Oakland will have a tough year. Without any improvement its a race to the division cellar for us and them.

One other thing...maybe Manning is gauging how serious the 3 teams in the hunt are by what OTHER moves they are making. In that case we come up dead last.

NFLBRONCO
03-17-2012, 02:25 PM
We were hoping we'd land Manning but, really this org isn't like 95 anymore to land a big fish. We need a younger owner with billions now. We are modeling after the Rockies. Unless we land #1 pick to get a QB worth a darn we aren't going anywhere anytime soon. We need to spend money to compete.

R8R H8R
03-17-2012, 02:26 PM
Some of you guys crack me up. The article says "one report" out of Denver...blah, blah, blah. That could be anybody folks, including just a guy that has no real connection to the team or EFX. Specifically, it doesn't say "sources high in the organization". This is wild speculation.

Until Klis, DMAC, Vic and/or someone like them says something like this, then let's just relax. Why? Because they are getting thier info from either EFX and/or the agents involved. So far, they have been mostly right, and until they say something like the above statement, then they believe the Broncos are still the frontrunners.

Rohirrim
03-17-2012, 02:28 PM
Elway's memo pad:

Plan A: Get Peyton Manning

Plan B: Suck for Barkley

;D

R8R H8R
03-17-2012, 02:30 PM
Elway's memo pad:

;D

Doesn't quite roll off the tongue like Suck for Luck, does it? ;D

theAPAOps5
This board is hilarious

Heyneck
Anybody surprised by this? I know I am not. I still think we don't make sense as a landing spot when he can choose between the Titans and 49ers.

I do agree that Xanders could be made a scapegoat. But us staying idle in the FA just to wait for someone I think always used us a leverage against his preferred options. Had those options not been available, no doubt he signs with us. But us doing squat with a surplus of cap and funds fall on the hand of EFX as a whole!!!

If Manning indeed spurs us... then I hope we attack aggressively the remaining useful top talent available. Seeing how we have operated the last couple of years I doubt it.

Damn... I really hope we get 2-3 impact FA so we can focus on filling the rest of the holes through the draft.

Broncofan_H
03-17-2012, 02:31 PM
I'm glad for the effort to sign Manning. If we don't get him, we don't get him. It's not for lack of trying from all accounts, though. You can't force Manning to sign here, you can just try your best and hope he does.

Besides, I'm not convinced we're out of it yet.

Drunken.Broncoholic
03-17-2012, 02:39 PM
Spano needs to be fired and stripped of twitter rights. That bozo is the reason everyone got so optimistic. Now where's all his stupid tweets.

theAPAOps5
03-17-2012, 02:41 PM
Spano needs to be fired and stripped of twitter rights. That bozo is the reason everyone got so optimistic. Now where's all his stupid tweets.

Who is Spano?

bpc
03-17-2012, 02:43 PM
The national popularity of Tebow has definitely ratcheted up the focus on the Broncos, and created a whole lot of hysteria, but many teams have found themselves in this situation in the past, with a great college QB who has difficulty transitioning and learning the skillset needed to succeed in the NFL. I guess McDaniels was lucky to drop this last bomb on this team before ducking out the side door. He doesn't have to take the fall for it, Elway does.

If there's one thing that is blatantly apparent, you need a franchise QB in this league. Who is Shanahan without Elway? Belichick without Brady? If Elway doesn't believe Tebow is that guy (and who would know better?) then it's his duty to go out and find that guy.

I stated this in another thread but if Elway doesn't believe that, he should cut ties and move on instead of continuing this BS game of propping Tebow up. There's no love there, they are sticking with him for the money and putting people in the stands. Manning would provide the perfect cover to axe Tebow as Manning is a known quantity and it would eliminate Elway as the "bad guy".

I have a high level of respect for Tebow as a player, yet I understand he still has a ways to go on the field. Can he do it? I think so but the franchise needs to back him and put some talent in place to do that. Denver doesn't have that now yet we still beat all those franchise QB's (Sanchez, Palmer, Rivers) nil teams desire with him at the helm. That being said, it still isn't enough for Elway and crew so they need to grow a pair, and just cut ties with him.

bombay
03-17-2012, 02:43 PM
blah blah blah

Drunken.Broncoholic
03-17-2012, 02:44 PM
I can tell you right now, his wife is gonna walk down from Union Square and see the filth that is the mission district. Then she will turn right and end up in the Castro district. Scared out of her wits from the crowds that hang out at AsiaSF. Then she will run to the top of the hill hoping to get away from that disaster and end up In the haight ash bury district. Then she will give up.

There is no way Mannings wife will like SF.

Drunken.Broncoholic
03-17-2012, 02:45 PM
Who is Spano?

That bronco homer who tweeted all last week that manning was a bronco. He's some radio guy or has a show or somethin. He was ballooning the optimism with hundreds of tweets. It got ridiculous.

theAPAOps5
03-17-2012, 02:47 PM
That bronco homer who tweeted all last week that manning was a bronco. He's some radio guy or has a show or somethin. He was ballooning the optimism with hundreds of tweets. It got ridiculous.

So nobody one should even pay attention to then?

Drunken.Broncoholic
03-17-2012, 02:52 PM
So nobody one should even pay attention to then?

I stopped paying attention to him on Sunday when he said he's already got the manning to broncos report written out and had a "go" button he was waiting to push. Then said "if you guys know what I know" followed by " I can't say anything now holding in so much great info!"

He got delusional. Last tweet I saw from him was this "........" and that was when titans had meetings.

errand
03-17-2012, 02:55 PM
I like how the people that didn't want Manning now think people should be fired for not signing him.

It's almost as comical as them demanding McDaniels be fired, then realizing that if he was still here, Tebow would have probably started the entire year, and the Manning to Denver saga wouldn't be happening......

theAPAOps5
03-17-2012, 02:58 PM
I stopped paying attention to him on Sunday when he said he's already got the manning to broncos report written out and had a "go" button he was waiting to push. Then said "if you guys know what I know" followed by " I can't say anything now holding in so much great info!"

He got delusional. Last tweet I saw from him was this "........" and that was when titans had meetings.

Vic Lombardi said the deal was all done and then Bud Adams entered the chase. I think it was and then both the 49ers and Titans emerged. It changed things.

Mike Klis wrote the diminished expectations line. He has since updated twitter to say he still likes the Broncos chances.

Fact is no one knows at this point and you can't read in any direction. Titans media all week said Manning gets 10% of team. Turns out that isn't true, as confirmed by Mortensen. Ownership would have to be considered against cap and owners would have to approve.

Only ones not being talked about and speculated about, or heard from. The 49ers.

Hulamau
03-17-2012, 03:00 PM
I'm glad for the effort to sign Manning. If we don't get him, we don't get him. It's not for lack of trying from all accounts, though. You can't force Manning to sign here, you can just try your best and hope he does.

Besides, I'm not convinced we're out of it yet.

Feel that same way, there is no glory in not trying when you have a reasonable shot at landing a guy like Manning. We don't know all the dynamics by any means that are going on right now and we could still be the winners here.

With Smith, Manning and Tebow all at CAA its quite possible the SF thing is more a ruse to drive the market .. I'm sure they are interested but they need Manning the least to take the next step and that is a lot of green to lay down for them that will have big consequences on their own long range plans and they will lose Smith as well.

Plus Manning going to work for a high struck hard ass like Harbaugh goes against his past preference for solid but easy going coaches ie Dungy and his OCs.

I don't think Manning is enamored at all with the Prima Donna type WR either as he never put up with much of that at Indy and demanded a lot 'after school' work from his teammates. ..Something I dont see Moss or Crabtree going for for long after the newness wears off.

Manning must see that as well. The NFC thing with even a regular season game against the Giants this year and going all the way to the west coast I just dont see it.

Vernon Davis aside, the 49ers don't have a very good WR corp like Moss and even Crabtree though he has done zilch in the NFL to be Prima Donna about. And who knows which Randy shows up after his retirement year after dogging it for two other teams including the Titans after his couple year fling with Brady.

Moss may have passing dreams of rekindling that kind of connection, but Manning wont put up with a lot of pouting or slacking and I just don't see Randy being what he once was.

Manning has a better shot making DT and Decker true stars THIS year, as they both have major untapped potential with an accurate QB, and perhaps we go for it if he signs and land Wallace as well?

With Tebow, as much as I love his moxie, we will lose DT and Decker too as soon as their contracts are up unless Tim learns how to pass first and accurately?

Throwing 15 to 20 max passes a game at around a 55% or less completion average isn't going to cut it for long with any real WR talent.

You cant help but love so many of Tim's qualities that he brings to the table. But going into his third pro season, its still a crap shoot him even being a long term successful championship level QB and I simply doubt its in the cards for us tied to him hook, line and sinker.

Its clear too that as much as they like a lot of things about Tim, that the EFX FO feels pretty much the same way after their own careful in-depth evaluation and reexamination of every play last year.

Anyway, I still think we have a good shot and no doubt Bowlen and Elway are going to press for this until the last minute. IF we lose, it will be for something out of our control ( Like Paytons and his wife love for Tenn or so such thing) it wont be for doing a half ass effort on the part of the Broncos/.

We if Manning doenst happen for us, they just pick up and get with it for the rest of FA and draft and make the best of Tebow we can.. maybe a real miracle happens and he can become a decent passer going forward??... That is a real project though and if Tim is too butt-hurt because HE is not yet good enough to make a FO give up a shot at an all-world hall of fame QB knocking on our door, then screw Tebow ... but I don't think he is that shallow at all and will come around.

This is Tim's best shot by far as well as a starting QB anytime soon.

Drunken.Broncoholic
03-17-2012, 03:02 PM
Vic Lombardi said the deal was all done and then Bud Adams entered the chase. I think it was and then both the 49ers and Titans emerged. It changed things.

Mike Klis wrote the diminished expectations line. He has since updated twitter to say he still likes the Broncos chances.

Fact is no one knows at this point and you can't read in any direction. Titans media all week said Manning gets 10% of team. Turns out that isn't true, as confirmed by Mortensen. Ownership would have to be considered against cap and owners would have to approve.

Only ones not being talked about and speculated about, or heard from. The 49ers.

What I find funny but not surprised about is the niners haven't had manning at their headquarters or facilities. You can't polish candlestick. Especially with all the rain happening here lately. That place is a dump. Their new stadium will not be around yet when he's gone. So its the toilet bowl for him.

theAPAOps5
03-17-2012, 03:04 PM
What I find funny but not surprised about is the niners haven't had manning at their headquarters or facilities. You can't polish candlestick. Especially with all the rain happening here lately. That place is a dump. Their new stadium will not be around yet when he's gone. So its the toilet bowl for him.

Their practice facility isn't at the stadium though, right?

Drunken.Broncoholic
03-17-2012, 03:04 PM
Anyone got Cliffnotes for that last post?

Ha. Sorry hula had to say that.

Drunken.Broncoholic
03-17-2012, 03:07 PM
Their practice facility isn't at the stadium though, right?

That's in Santa Clara. Mirrors the dump that is candlestick though. Sometimes they have training camp down here in fort ord(CSUMB). I've seen a few practices there. The field is surrounded by vacant bunkers and dorms from the 60's. Fort ord is a closed down army base.

Drunken.Broncoholic
03-17-2012, 03:09 PM
I just can't imagine manning and his wife living in SF or in the greater bay area. If he did come out here I could see his wife wanting to live down here where I'm at. Carmel Monterey area.

SoCalBronco
03-17-2012, 03:12 PM

To be fair, Mike Klis is well known for sucking the team's dick in exchange for information ,so it doesn't shock me that he would "update" his twitter when he remembered that he should know his role.

theAPAOps5
03-17-2012, 03:13 PM
To be fair, Mike Klis is well known for sucking the team's dick in exchange for information ,so it doesn't shock me that he would "update" his twitter when he remembered that he should know his role.

Sure, if that makes you feel better.

Agamemnon
03-17-2012, 03:16 PM
Elway's memo pad:

;D

Last year's memo:

Plan A: Start Orton

Plan B: Suck for Luck

This team is run by morons.

SoCalBronco
03-17-2012, 03:18 PM
Sure, if that makes you feel better.

Feel better about what, dude? That's what it is. Someone needs to send the guy some lipstick and satin stockings and a picture of a street corner...cause he's a ****ing whore.

Agamemnon
03-17-2012, 03:18 PM
I just can't imagine manning and his wife living in SF or in the greater bay area. If he did come out here I could see his wife wanting to live down here where I'm at. Carmel Monterey area.

They have a coaching staff and roster one great QB short of being dominant. I'm thinking Manning's desire to win more Super Bowls > all other concerns.

ColoradoDarin
03-17-2012, 03:19 PM
Doesn't quite roll off the tongue like Suck for Luck, does it? ;D

Play darkley for Barkley is probably the closest thing. Otherwise it's "our team is malarkey, go get Barkley"? Better yet "Fall flat for Matt!"

RaiderH8r
03-17-2012, 03:21 PM
Play darkley for Barkley is probably the closest thing. Otherwise it's "our team is malarkey, go get Barkley"? Better yet "Fall flat for Matt!"

Shat for Matt?

theAPAOps5
03-17-2012, 03:21 PM
Feel better about what, dude? That's what it is. Someone needs to send the guy some lipstick and satin stockings and a picture of a street corner...cause he's a ****ing whore.

Um, ok. Now hopefully you feel better.

Punisher
03-17-2012, 03:36 PM
Not looking good ah nothing goes are way anyway

Drek
03-17-2012, 03:45 PM
Not looking good ah nothing goes are way anyway

I don't know, I thought finishing the season 7-4, winning the division, and winning our first round playoff game were all pretty solid.

Too bad the FO just couldn't stand the thought of building on those positives.

theAPAOps5
03-17-2012, 03:47 PM
I don't know, I thought finishing the season 7-4, winning the division, and winning our first round playoff game were all pretty solid.

SF who was a KR/PR fumble away from Super Bowl considered Manning.

Drunken.Broncoholic
03-17-2012, 03:51 PM

1-4 isn't so solid.

Jetmeck
03-17-2012, 03:51 PM

They better wake the F up then. This was truly ignorant chasing one guy when we have holes all over the defense and few on offense.

I coulda handled it better course I have as much experience as Elway does so there you go. He needs to say what he means and mean what he says..........I don't care if your the Duke or not.
Get it together and fix this team for the long haul.

joe9999
03-17-2012, 03:54 PM

I agree. If only they would have built on the success of last year. Now it is obvious Elway doesn't want Tebow. The franchise has been set back again.

montrose
03-17-2012, 03:56 PM
For the record, the Broncos weren't planning on being terribly active in free agency anyhow. They wanted a Safety and got one- Klis reported the guys they had above Adams on their list resigned with their previous teams. If not for the Manning pursuit, they may have gotten Bunkley done and been working on some of their 2nd teir UFAs like Woodyard. It also may have helped get done some deals with guys like Trufant (which could still happen).

Overall I would say the damage the pursuit has done is far greater in terms of their relationship with the QB their stuck with and the now, very public, perception around the league that not even Tebow's own team believes in him. So assuming Manning does sign with SF or Ten on Monday, I don't think it drastically alters their free agency but I'm not sure we can calculate the damage it could do the player's confidence in their guy - not to mention the massive dissapointment the front office will feel.

orinjkrush
03-17-2012, 03:58 PM
glad they tried.
glad it went another way.
$90M? seriously?

let's get back to chopping the wood and build the team the right way and stop looking for deus ex manning.

theAPAOps5
03-17-2012, 03:59 PM
For the record, the Broncos weren't planning on being terribly active in free agency anyhow. They wanted a Safety and got one- Klis reported the guys they had above Adams on their list resigned with their previous teams. If not for the Manning pursuit, they may have gotten Bunkley done and been working on some of their 2nd teir UFAs like Woodyard. It also may have helped get done some deals with guys like Trufant (which could still happen).

Overall I would say the damage the pursuit has done is far greater in terms of their relationship with the QB their stuck with and the now, very public, perception around the league that not even Tebow's own team believes in him. So assuming Manning does sign with SF or Ten on Monday, I don't think it drastically alters their free agency but I'm not sure we can calculate the damage it could do the player's confidence in their guy - not to mention the massive dissapointment the front office will feel.

Solid take

Drek
03-17-2012, 04:08 PM
SF who was a KR/PR fumble away from Super Bowl considered Manning.

Sure. Makes total sense. The QB is the only real weak point if their roster is healthy. WR to some degree too, but Manning helps that out.

Peyton Manning can't play DT, MLB, CB, or S. Last I checked he's not much of an interior blocker and he's not really one to produce running the football.

We had a lot of breaks go our way last year. This team isn't a Peyton Manning away from winning the Super Bowl. SF was one single better ST play away from very possibly winning one though. Improving at QB makes them one of the favorites to win it all. You can not say the same for Denver.

Now if we had instead used this week to improve our defense, shore up the OL depth, and put another capable but still fresh RB on the roster we could go into the draft to add another layer of depth, likely establish our hold on the division, and be in the same situation SF was in at the end of this year come the 2012 post-season.

The obsession with QB in a league CLEARLY NOT driven entirely by QB play is the problem here. Just as many teams make the playoffs thanks to powerful all around defenses as those doing it thanks to a star QB. Those teams are also the least volatile. Instead of looking to build that kind of long term base though we're obsessed with a short term QB alternative and can't even consider working on the other needs while we do it.

Cito Pelon
03-17-2012, 04:09 PM
Shat for Matt?

Bleedin for Weeden?

Black96WS6
03-17-2012, 04:10 PM
Latest news: Chiefs sign Winston (T), Chargers add depth by re-signing Randy McMichael (TE).

I think at this point Broncos must be looking to the draft to plug holes? Not a lot of decent FAs left...maybe Tolbert\Bush and a few others?

SoCalBronco
03-17-2012, 04:11 PM

Your post suggests that you are hearing that it won't be DEN. Is that correct?

theAPAOps5
03-17-2012, 04:12 PM
Sure. Makes total sense. The QB is the only real weak point if their roster is healthy. WR to some degree too, but Manning helps that out.

Peyton Manning can't play DT, MLB, CB, or S. Last I checked he's not much of an interior blocker and he's not really one to produce running the football.

We had a lot of breaks go our way last year. This team isn't a Peyton Manning away from winning the Super Bowl. SF was one single better ST play away from very possibly winning one though. Improving at QB makes them one of the favorites to win it all. You can not say the same for Denver.

Now if we had instead used this week to improve our defense, shore up the OL depth, and put another capable but still fresh RB on the roster we could go into the draft to add another layer of depth, likely establish our hold on the division, and be in the same situation SF was in at the end of this year come the 2012 post-season.

The obsession with QB in a league CLEARLY NOT driven entirely by QB play is the problem here. Just as many teams make the playoffs thanks to powerful all around defenses as those doing it thanks to a star QB. Those teams are also the least volatile. Instead of looking to build that kind of long term base though we're obsessed with a short term QB alternative and can't even consider working on the other needs while we do it.

Could they use the draft, perhaps? Serious question as you raise valid points.

SoCalBronco
03-17-2012, 04:12 PM
Latest news: Chiefs sign Winston (T),

That really hurts. ****.

Nice work, FO. You ****ing clowns.

Cito Pelon
03-17-2012, 04:16 PM

Yeah, kinda odd.

Archer81
03-17-2012, 04:16 PM
Oh noes...if ESPN said it and its posted on the Mane, THAT MAKES IT TRUE!

:Broncos:

broncogary
03-17-2012, 04:19 PM

I thought we confirmed that it was "Bidwill."

Cito Pelon
03-17-2012, 04:21 PM

Good point.

enjolras
03-17-2012, 04:22 PM

They finished 1-4 and backed into the playoffs....they weren't contending for the Superbowl. We need a qb to make the next step.

Archer81
03-17-2012, 04:25 PM
They finished 1-4 and backed into the playoffs....they weren't contending for the Superbowl. We need a qb to make the next step.

Yeah. QB is the issue in Denver.

:Broncos:

cabronco
03-17-2012, 04:27 PM
Well Josina was on espin, commenting how Bonco fee ajints r madz cuz there not bein tended 2!! But mCgahie kewl witit cuz landen pm meins D ca'nt stack ther box on me'z.! piece

theAPAOps5
03-17-2012, 04:28 PM
Well Josina was on espin, commenting how Bonco fee ajints r madz cuz there not bein tended 2!! But mCgahie kewl witit cuz landen pm meins D ca'nt stack ther box on me'z.! piece

This is the post of the day! Holy ****, you made me snort. Thanks.

TonyR
03-17-2012, 04:35 PM
4-12, here we come!

Drek
03-17-2012, 04:39 PM
Could they use the draft, perhaps? Serious question as you raise valid points.

Sure, seems to make sense. Until you add it up.

What do we need?

MLB - every down starter type, as DJ isn't going to be available for at least six games in nickel packages

CB - #2 starter quality

DT - Two starters and unless you think Warren will suddenly find his health a solid backup.

S - one every down starter of either the FS or SS variety.

DE - at least one worthwhile backup

OLB - someone who can spot start in place of DJ for six games at a minimum, a full on replacement would potentially be a better option.

OG/C - a quality backup who can play both OG and C, or a starter at either OG/C so we can bump Beadles/Walton to the bench to have them be depth.

RB - a legit #2 as our starter is over 30 and hasn't seen the number of carries we gave him last year in almost half a decade, our #2 is coming off a serious injury (ACL tear) and the rest of our RB depth chart are undrafted FAs with little to no real upside.

TE - at least one backup type, and that is if we're ok with Green or Thomas starting for us.

WR - a legit #3 or better.

FB - starter quality.

KR/PR - someone has to actually do this job full time. Why not try something different and use someone who's actually good at it this time?

QB - At least two backups.

All right, now lets add that up. I've got seven needs in the starting rotation alone (MLB, CB, S, DTx2, OLB for at least six games, FB). We'd also be better off if we added starter/regular contributor level guys at RB and TE. So between 7 and 9 starters needed. We also need about 7 backup level players or so. Add it up and you have 16 players needed. Makes sense since we have 17 free agents of our own unsigned at this point if I recall correctly.

To date we have signed one potential starter for safety and no one else. So 6-8 starters needed, about 15 total people needed to fill out our first and second string in a reasonable fashion.

So lets see what the draft has in store for us. Six picks. The 25th in rounds 1, 2, 3, 4, and 7 and the 2nd pick in round 5.

That means the best draft in NFL history where we grab immediate starters from every one of our picks leaves us with one or two starter types still useful and at least 9 total holes in the first two strings of the roster to fill.

This on a team where the head coach described last year's biggest roster issue as a "lack of depth".

Now realistically we can get at best two starters in the draft (picks 1 and 2 could potentially yield day one starters) and three additional depth guys. The 7th rounder will likely not even make the roster. So realistically we need 4-6 more starters and another 4-6 guys who we actually want to see play on Sundays.

My rough conclusion here is that the draft isn't exactly the thing we should be pinning all our hopes and dreams on. As it is we're likely picking our first few picks entirely out of need simply to have bodies worth suiting up at some roster spots (like DT).

peacepipe
03-17-2012, 04:41 PM

What do we need?

MLB - every down starter type, as DJ isn't going to be available for at least six games in nickel packages

CB - #2 starter quality

DT - Two starters and unless you think Warren will suddenly find his health a solid backup.

OLB - someone who can spot start in place of DJ for six games at a minimum, a full on replacement would potentially be a better option.

OG/C - a quality backup who can play both OG and C, or a starter at either OG/C so we can bump Beadles/Walton to the bench to have them be depth.

RB - a legit #2 as our starter is over 30 and hasn't seen the number of carries we gave him last year in almost half a decade, our #2 is coming off a serious injury (ACL tear) and the rest of our RB depth chart are undrafted FAs with little to no real upside.

TE - at least one backup type, and that is if we're ok with Green or Thomas starting for us.

FB - starter quality.

KR/PR - someone has to actually do this job full time. Why not try something different and use someone who's actually good at it this time?

All right, now lets add that up. I've got seven needs in the starting rotation alone (MLB, CB, S, DTx2, OLB for at least six games, FB). We'd also be better off if we added starter/regular contributor level guys at RB and TE. So between 7 and 9 starters needed. We also need about 7 backup level players or so. Add it up and you have 16 players needed. Makes sense since we have 17 free agents of our own unsigned at this point if I recall correctly.

To date we have signed one potential starter for safety and no one else. So 6-8 starters needed, about 15 total people needed to fill out our first and second string in a reasonable fashion.

So lets see what the draft has in store for us. Six picks. The 25th in rounds 1, 2, 3, 4, and 7 and the 2nd pick in round 5.

That means the best draft in NFL history where we grab immediate starters from every one of our picks leaves us with one or two starter types still useful and at least 9 total holes in the first two strings of the roster to fill.

This on a team where the head coach described last year's biggest roster issue as a "lack of depth".

Now realistically we can get at best two starters in the draft (picks 1 and 2 could potentially yield day one starters) and three additional depth guys. The 7th rounder will likely not even make the roster. So realistically we need 4-6 more starters and another 4-6 guys who we actually want to see play on Sundays.

My rough conclusion here is that the draft isn't exactly the thing we should be pinning all our hopes and dreams on. As it is we're likely picking our first few picks entirely out of need simply to have bodies worth suiting up at some roster spots (like DT).lets see what happens but I don't see denver bringing in QBs just to be back ups.

Drek
03-17-2012, 04:44 PM

I agree, we weren't contending for a Super Bowl last year. Does Peyton Manning instantly fill the half dozen holes we have in the roster, mostly on defense? Can any QB?

This team isn't a QB away from that next step. It is a QB and at least a half dozen other good players away. So why are we gunning for a 2-3 year option for QB at the expense of getting those other half dozen or more good players?

Going after Manning made sense if the FO had a clear plan in place to quickly shore up the defense via FA, add Manning to make the offense instantly legitimate, and compete immediately in 2012. Peyton Manning isn't a cure all and isn't going to keep the defense from getting destroyed by teams like the Patriots, Packers, Lions, Saints, etc.. We also can't give him the weapons those teams have so we aren't going to win shoot outs consistently against other elite QBs. This pursuit to instantly gain legitimacy is a mirage if it's not coupled with strong upgrades to the defense.

peacepipe
03-17-2012, 04:46 PM
I agree, we weren't contending for a Super Bowl last year. Does Peyton Manning instantly fill the half dozen holes we have in the roster, mostly on defense? Can any QB?This team isn't a QB away from that next step. It is a QB and at least a half dozen other good players away. So why are we gunning for a 2-3 year option for QB at the expense of getting those other half dozen or more good players?

Going after Manning made sense if the FO had a clear plan in place to quickly shore up the defense via FA, add Manning to make the offense instantly legitimate, and compete immediately in 2012. Peyton Manning isn't a cure all and isn't going to keep the defense from getting destroyed by teams like the Patriots, Packers, Lions, Saints, etc.. We also can't give him the weapons those teams have so we aren't going to win shoot outs consistently against other elite QBs. This pursuit to instantly gain legitimacy is a mirage if it's not coupled with strong upgrades to the defense.apparently he can,did you notice how bad the colts were without manning.

Drek
03-17-2012, 04:46 PM
lets see what happens but I don't see denver bringing in QBs just to be back ups.

Hence why I said "at least two backups". That is the absolute minimum we can tolerate. We aren't bringing in three backups, as we have Tebow and Weber as of now, no need for a fifth QB. What I'm saying is that even in the most optimistic of views where Tebow is unquestionably a starter we're still short two backups at QB.

barryr
03-17-2012, 04:47 PM

What do we need?

CB - #2 starter quality

FB - starter quality.

My rough conclusion here is that the draft isn't exactly the thing we should be pinning all our hopes and dreams on. As it is we're likely picking our first few picks entirely out of need simply to have bodies worth suiting up at some roster spots (like DT).

Yep, I would say that about covers it all. This is why I have been stating they should trade down and get more picks, but that would require them to think of something else other than Manning. They are this into Manning, but if they lose him, they will happily go with Tebow and Tebow will be excited how they so believe in him.

Drek
03-17-2012, 04:50 PM
apparently he can,did you notice how bad the colts were without manning.

You mean all those years where the "greatest QB of all time" consistently got his ass rolled out of the playoffs? The only year he's managed to win a ring was thanks to the defense opposite him timing their hot streak perfectly with the playoffs and then they got to face one of the weakest Super Bowl offenses of all time in the Rex Grossman led Bears.

Manning isn't exactly struggling under the weight of all those team accolades he's ensconced in. The Colts have been in one of the weakest divisions in the NFL their defense has still consistently been a bottom feeder unit.

theAPAOps5
03-17-2012, 04:51 PM
I agree, we weren't contending for a Super Bowl last year. Does Peyton Manning instantly fill the half dozen holes we have in the roster, mostly on defense? Can any QB?

This team isn't a QB away from that next step. It is a QB and at least a half dozen other good players away. So why are we gunning for a 2-3 year option for QB at the expense of getting those other half dozen or more good players?

Going after Manning made sense if the FO had a clear plan in place to quickly shore up the defense via FA, add Manning to make the offense instantly legitimate, and compete immediately in 2012. Peyton Manning isn't a cure all and isn't going to keep the defense from getting destroyed by teams like the Patriots, Packers, Lions, Saints, etc.. We also can't give him the weapons those teams have so we aren't going to win shoot outs consistently against other elite QBs. This pursuit to instantly gain legitimacy is a mirage if it's not coupled with strong upgrades to the defense.

This I agree with. When the Broncos popped up in Manning persuit it was logical as if you signed him it makes Denver attractive to other FA's. When this became clear that it was going to drag out they should have cut bait.

They wouldn't have lost the fans, minimal impact. Only those who will find a way to slam in any situation, team because of issues from past will slam them. But they would if they signed him too.

Now they are left with hopes and no answers and can't do anything because of it. High risk high reward, but the loss could be harsh both in perception and team talent.

You know the old saying, "You can wish in one hand, crap in the other. see which gets filled first."

peacepipe
03-17-2012, 04:53 PM
You mean all those years where the "greatest QB of all time" consistently got his ass rolled out of the playoffs? The only year he's managed to win a ring was thanks to the defense opposite him timing their hot streak perfectly with the playoffs and then they got to face one of the weakest Super Bowl offenses of all time in the Rex Grossman led Bears.

Manning isn't exactly struggling under the weight of all those team accolades he's ensconced in. The Colts have been in one of the weakest divisions in the NFL their defense has still consistently been a bottom feeder unit.thats more than what denver has done. also to be consistantly in the playoffs is a lot better than 2-14.

Drek
03-17-2012, 05:07 PM
thats more than what denver has done. also to be consistantly in the playoffs is a lot better than 2-14.

Our playoff record last year (1-1) is better than Manning's career (9-10).

Also, had we done **** right and built up the defense, OL, and running game we could have locked up legitimate control of the division while we shopped for a real answer at QB.

I think that you are just afraid that if team actually tries to win games while Tebow is the starter they might actually succeed and then you'd be stuck with him.

Black96WS6
03-17-2012, 05:14 PM

Manning isn't exactly struggling under the weight of all those team accolades he's ensconced in. The Colts have been in one of the weakest divisions in the NFL their defense has still consistently been a bottom feeder unit.

Yep and do you know the details of that? This is when their Run Defense was TERRIBLE all year.

Why? Because, as usual, Bob Sanders got injured at the beginning of the year and was out. But, unlike usual, he actually came BACK for the playoffs, and then miraculously stayed healthy, and THAT is what helped shore up their defense miraculously and helped them make their run and finish it with a SB win ;)

Black96WS6
03-17-2012, 05:17 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Sanders

In the 2006 regular season, Sanders played only four games in the regular season due to a knee injury he suffered early. In those four games, he racked up 27 tackles.

He was soon dubbed "The Eraser", due to his reckless and punishing hits on opposing players which prevented many of the big plays that the opposing teams might have otherwise made happen.

The Colts had the worst rushing defense in the NFL statistically, allowing at least 100 yards rushing in every game.

During the playoffs, however, Sanders continued his comeback from injury, and breathed new life into the defense. With Sanders, the 2006 Colts had the second best run defense in the playoffs with only 73.3 rushing yards allowed per game.

Sanders went on to help the Colts, on the road, to their victory in Super Bowl XLI.

Sanders made a pivotal play in the AFC title game against the Patriots. With the Patriots looking to clinch the game with a first down with under three minutes to play and holding a 34-31 lead, Sanders dove in front of Troy Brown and deflected the pass, forcing the Patriots to punt and giving Peyton Manning the chance to drive for the game winning touchdown.

Sanders made a couple of key plays in the game against the Chicago Bears, forcing a fumble from running back Cedric Benson early in the game and intercepting quarterback Rex Grossman early in the 4th quarter after cornerback Kelvin Hayden intercepted Grossman on the previous drive with both picks helping seal the 29-17 win.

Drek
03-17-2012, 05:18 PM
Yep and do you know the details of that? This is when their Run Defense was TERRIBLE all year.

Why? Because, as usual, Bob Sanders got injured at the beginning of the year and was out. But, unlike usual, he actually came BACK for the playoffs, and THAT is what helped shore up their defense miraculously and helped them make their run and finish it with a SB win ;)

Exactly. Crazy what having a difference making defensive player can do for a team's playoff chances. Almost like a QB needs other guys to help him win games or something.

KipCorrington25
03-17-2012, 05:23 PM
Some of you guys crack me up. The article says "one report" out of Denver...blah, blah, blah. That could be anybody folks, including just a guy that has no real connection to the team or EFX. Specifically, it doesn't say "sources high in the organization". This is wild speculation.

Until Klis, DMAC, Vic and/or someone like them says something like this, then let's just relax. Why? Because they are getting thier info from either EFX and/or the agents involved. So far, they have been mostly right, and until they say something like the above statement, then they believe the Broncos are still the frontrunners.

The source it probably Brandon Lloyd. ROFL!

Black96WS6
03-17-2012, 05:28 PM
Latest news: Brandon Lloyd officially a NE Patriot.

Mogulseeker
03-17-2012, 05:28 PM
What happened to all this 95 percent talk from Vic Lombardi?

Drunken.Broncoholic
03-17-2012, 05:30 PM
Our playoff record last year (1-1) is better than Manning's career (9-10).

Also, had we done **** right and built up the defense, OL, and running game we could have locked up legitimate control of the division while we shopped for a real answer at QB.

I think that you are just afraid that if team actually tries to win games while Tebow is the starter they might actually succeed and then you'd be stuck with him.

So you are saying 1 year is better than several years of postseason?

Drek
03-17-2012, 05:44 PM
So you are saying 1 year is better than several years of postseason?

Nope, I was simply pointing out the fallacy in the argument that I quoted by clearly illustrating how we were 1. not 2-14 last year and 2. had similar short term success to Manning's long term success in his career peak already.

I'm in no way saying that Manning wouldn't be a significant upgrade. I'm just saying that people who think you stick Manning on this team and then start taking ring sizes and making room for a new Lombardi are missing the reality that has been Peyton Manning's career.

You put Manning on the Broncos roster as it currently stands and they would be lucky to win a playoff game at all next year.

If the FO was so serious about getting Manning they should have been selling him on the organization by showing a clear path to an elite defense, something Manning has never had the support of. Instead its an all eggs in one basket approach and we're surprised when it looks like it might just blow up in our faces.

Drunken.Broncoholic
03-17-2012, 05:48 PM
Nope, I was simply pointing out the fallacy in the argument that I quoted by clearly illustrating how we were 1. not 2-14 last year and 2. had similar short term success to Manning's long term success in his career peak already.

I'm in no way saying that Manning wouldn't be a significant upgrade. I'm just saying that people who think you stick Manning on this team and then start taking ring sizes and making room for a new Lombardi are missing the reality that has been Peyton Manning's career.

You put Manning on the Broncos roster as it currently stands and they would be lucky to win a playoff game at all next year.

If the FO was so serious about getting Manning they should have been selling him on the organization by showing a clear path to an elite defense, something Manning has never had the support of. Instead its an all eggs in one basket approach and we're surprised when it looks like it might just blow up in our faces.

With the schedule next year its gonna be hard no matter who is at QB. The biggest story I think is not the manning quest, it's the fact they have all this space and have made little to no effort in upgrading the team at key positions. Giving soliai a call doesn't really count as effort to me. They act like this team is only 4 mil under the cap.

R8R H8R
03-17-2012, 05:49 PM

No, but a great QB sure can mask your deficiencies, as we saw Rogers & Brady do last year. And as someone else said, we sure saw how important Manning was to the Colts the one year he is out.

Drek
03-17-2012, 06:00 PM
With the schedule next year its gonna be hard no matter who is at QB. The biggest story I think is not the manning quest, it's the fact they have all this space and have made little to no effort in upgrading the team at key positions. Giving soliai a call doesn't really count as effort to me. They act like this team is only 4 mil under the cap.

Holy ****. You do realize that is the entire point I've been making this whole thread right? That we should have been signing answers at other positions while waiting for peanut head to make up his damned mind.

No, but a great QB sure can mask your deficiencies, as we saw Rogers & Brady do last year. And as someone else said, we sure saw how important Manning was to the Colts the one year he is out.
Rogers defense has a good number of elite players on it such as Woodson, Matthews, Raji, etc. and not a one of their starters are nearly as bad as Andre Goodman, Joe Mays, Marcus Thomas, or the misfit toys we were jamming into safety all season long when we didn't have Dawkins.

The Patriots have a **** secondary. Their front seven is still very good. Again, they have more elite players on their roster than we do.

Also, I'm pretty sure Rogers has a few guys on offense to help him out (i.e. a half dozen WRs better than all but one of our WRs and an elite TE), and I don't think Brady would say he carries the Pats offense when he's got weapons like Gronkowski, Welker, and Hernandez.

A great OFFENSE can cover for a weak defense. Not just one QB. Just like how a great defense can cover for a weak offense (see the 2012 49ers and the Ravens for about a decade now for examples of that).

We could build a great defense with the right FA moves. We can't build a great offense without Manning and at least two or three other key additions. So while waiting to see if we can make a run at the offensive side why not build the defensive side and know we have at least that covered regardless of what Manning chooses?

RaiderH8r
03-17-2012, 06:05 PM
I thought we confirmed that it was "Bidwill."

Either way it is a red hot shank up our collective asses.

Drunken.Broncoholic
03-17-2012, 06:10 PM
Ya I realize that. But your posts are so damn long it makes it hard to make an effort to realize it.

RaiderH8r
03-17-2012, 06:10 PM
Drek's been sticking the landing here.

theAPAOps5
03-17-2012, 06:13 PM

Bud Adams and Jim Harbough.

eddie mac
03-17-2012, 06:15 PM

If that is indeed this franchise' take on things then they'll never go anywhere. All this bull**** talk about not being happy with a playoff win but wanting to win it all is never going to happen again with Bowlen here unless there's some serious investment in this roster.

I suppose they can hang around and wait 10 years until they have a staff in place that can actually build a roster through the draft but at some point you have to start paying market value for players, say when rookie contracts expire, otherwise you'll be left behind, which I think we are right now and the hole is deepening as each day passes with this saga.

UberBroncoMan
03-17-2012, 06:22 PM

Wasn't that before the Titans and 49ers entered the picture?

To be fair, we'd 100% be his team had they not.

theAPAOps5
03-17-2012, 06:36 PM
Wasn't that before the Titans and 49ers entered the picture?

To be fair, we'd 100% be his team had they not.

Agree

cutthemdown
03-17-2012, 06:51 PM
Screw Manning. Now we can continue to hate him and hope for the niners to totally implode when he gets injured,

Drunken.Broncoholic
03-17-2012, 06:59 PM
Screw Manning. Now we can continue to hate him and hope for the niners to totally implode when he gets injured,

You mean the titans?

cutthemdown
03-17-2012, 07:02 PM
You mean the titans?

No I meant the Niners.

Drunken.Broncoholic
03-17-2012, 07:15 PM
No I meant the Niners.

Hopefully Manning knows better to get a house in the Castro district.

Rohirrim
03-17-2012, 07:24 PM
Hopefully Manning knows better to get a house in the Castro district.

That brings up a good point. Peyton should know, if he moves to San Fran, he's moving to a place with the highest real estate prices in America.

DENVERDUI55
03-17-2012, 07:25 PM
We should fly Matt flynn in but that ship has sailed.

DarkHorse30
03-17-2012, 07:30 PM
This board is hilarious

Agreed. Comical even.

theAPAOps5
03-17-2012, 07:43 PM
Agreed. Comical even.

It's about to get CRAZY in here. Mike Klis saying not favorites on Twitter now is pretty telling.

DENVERDUI55
03-17-2012, 07:45 PM

I don't get the whole Denver frontrunner to begin with. San Fran offers what nobody else can and Tenn is closer to a ring than Denver. Money is close probably accross the board.

theAPAOps5
03-17-2012, 07:49 PM
So yeah I am now totally reading a lot into that article now! :spit:

I still think we lost when 49ers entered but thought there was more than just a "chance"