PDA

View Full Version : OT- Golf-Iron Sets

phibacka31
03-16-2012, 10:14 PM
Hey everybody,

I know not Peyton news.

I've been searching around for a nice set of new irons. Just seeing what other golfers we had on the forum that might be able to point me in the direction for a nice new set of irons. My old irons are beginning to show the wear and tear and I am now coaching High School Golf...

I was looking at the Taylormade Rocketballz irons(new), but would love to find a new set that's from last year or whatever for a little bit less coin. Thanks!

:welcome:

Houshyamama
03-16-2012, 10:18 PM
I'm getting a set of these soon:

http://www.mizunousa.com/golf/products/mizuno-mp-63-golf-irons

These are more forgiving:

http://www.mizunousa.com/golf/products/mizuno-mp-53-golf-irons

Garcia Bronco
03-16-2012, 10:21 PM
Cleveland c-16's are nice.

Drunken.Broncoholic
03-16-2012, 10:22 PM
Calloway always comes out with great irons. I got the X22s and love them.

DENVERDUI55
03-16-2012, 10:36 PM
Just remember its the Indian not the arrow. I went back to ping i3 + because I found a brand new set for 150 bucks. They sold new back in the day for 700.

Houshyamama
03-16-2012, 10:45 PM
Just remember its the Indian not the arrow. I went back to ping i3 + because I found a brand new set for 150 bucks. They sold new back in the day for 700.

You can putt with a stick if you know how to putt. Those RocketBallz 3 woods are HOT though.

Garcia Bronco
03-17-2012, 06:49 AM
Get the burbers from last year. Good clubs and you should get them cheap.

Uncle Bill
03-17-2012, 07:17 AM
Get the burbers from last year. Good clubs and you should get them cheap.

I'll chime-in b/c I actually just bought a set of the taylormade burner 2.0's. After looking at the Titleist Ap1's and Ping G15's, I liked the Ap1's the best (by a narrow margin), but they were not on sale ($700), and only had 5-gw. I liked the G15's and Burners about the same, and they were both on sale, but couldn't stand the look of the G15's (way too clunky). I got the Burners for $350 (4-gw), and I like them a lot. They are very similar to the Rocketballz, and you can get still them for about half price right now. Not a bad way to go if you like the Rocketballz and want to save a few bucks...

Anyway, I've only swung them a half dozen times (once on the course and the rest on the range), but they are definitely longer than my old clubs, and seem pretty forgiving. A lot of balls where I know my swing is a bit off, will still go relatively straight with an acceptable loss in distance. In other words, it seems that more of my bad shots are "playable" (except, obviouisly, for the really bad ones!). I'm coming from a set of Tommy Armour 845's that are 20-years old, though, so it's not surprising that I'm pleased with the effects of new technology. The only thing I don't like about the clubs is with the 4 and 5 iron, even on well-struck balls, sometimes the contact makes kind of a "slapping" sound.

Good Luck!

Edit: Note that if you buy the burners, you won't be able to get them "custom fit", since they are last year's model. The only thing you'll be able to do is choose your shaft stiffness, and you'll be stuck with the stock grips, shaft length, and lie angle. Fortunately all of my measurements were within the limits of the stock burners (I'm about 6'-1" and have long arms, FWIW). If you are particularly short or tall, or there's something else that's weird about you, the extra $ for the Rocketballz might be worth it just to get them custom fit...

MileHighMagic
03-17-2012, 07:18 AM
Taylor Made Burner 2.0

Pony Boy
03-17-2012, 07:39 AM
You can go wrong with a set of Callaway X-22's and you can find then cheap on Ebay because they are not the new models. I still use my old Ping Eye2 (BeCu) SW and LW.

I know a guy that is a HS golf coach and he gets a nice discount direct from the Callaway rep for equipment, you might check into that.

Swedish Extrovert
03-17-2012, 11:22 AM
Right now I'm using the Callaway X-22s as well... so I second (and third) Broncoholic and Pony Boy's post.

BUT, I'm looking at the new Cobra Amp Irons (http://www.cobragolf.com/golf-clubs/2012-cobra-amp-forged-irons) as my replacement. I'm kinda OCD about my gear, whether its ski gear, hockey gear, golf gear, or musical instruments, so I usually stick with one brand, and the Cobra ZL white drivers are awesome.

Drunken.Broncoholic
03-17-2012, 11:28 AM
Right now I'm using the Callaway X-22s as well... so I second (and third) Broncoholic and Pony Boy's post.

BUT, I'm looking at the new Cobra Amp Irons (http://www.cobragolf.com/golf-clubs/2012-cobra-amp-forged-irons) as my replacement. I'm kinda OCD about my gear, whether its ski gear, hockey gear, golf gear, or musical instruments, so I usually stick with one brand, and the Cobra ZL white drivers are awesome.

I love cobra drivers. Some of them do have a certain sound when you hit them. Like a can opening sound, but the sounds goes away seconds after you realized you just bombed it down the fairway.

Uncle Bill
03-17-2012, 11:57 AM
I love cobra drivers. Some of them do have a certain sound when you hit them. Like a can opening sound, but the sounds goes away seconds after you realized you just bombed it down the fairway.

Yeah, the Cobra driver sound is pretty sweet. I'm in the process of transitioning to a Ping G15 driver from a Cobra F-speed, and it's definitely an adjustment, just based on the different sound/feel. I'll take a swing with the Ping, and it seems like kind of a weak hit based on sound/feel/impact, but usually turns out okay. I can really bomb the Cobra, but I think the Ping is more forgiving. At the end of the day, I'd much rather hit more fairways with a little less distance than be searching for moonshots that land in the trees...

Pony Boy
03-17-2012, 09:47 PM
Yeah, the Cobra driver sound is pretty sweet. I'm in the process of transitioning to a Ping G15 driver from a Cobra F-speed, and it's definitely an adjustment, just based on the different sound/feel. I'll take a swing with the Ping, and it seems like kind of a weak hit based on sound/feel/impact, but usually turns out okay. I can really bomb the Cobra, but I think the Ping is more forgiving. At the end of the day, I'd much rather hit more fairways with a little less distance than be searching for moonshots that land in the trees...

I have a closet full of drivers, it's almost an addiction. I'm currently carrying 2 drivers in my bag. I have a Cleveland hi-bore tour model monster 8.5 with a stiff shaft that I can bomb down the fairway with a slight draw but at a very low trajectory. I also carry a white head Taylormade TP burner 10.5 with a regular shaft that I hit a high fade with when I need accuracy or to go over trees if cutting a corner but I lose about 25 yards in distance.

I use esipe.com and cherry pick Ebay auctions for drivers and putters so I can use them for a few rounds and re-sell them at a small profit or at least break even.

Ronnie Tsunami
03-19-2012, 07:51 PM
*manning bump*

one man's quest to rid the first page of all excessive peyton related content

Garcia Bronco
03-19-2012, 07:57 PM
I'll chime-in b/c I actually just bought a set of the taylormade burner 2.0's. After looking at the Titleist Ap1's and Ping G15's, I liked the Ap1's the best (by a narrow margin), but they were not on sale ($700), and only had 5-gw. I liked the G15's and Burners about the same, and they were both on sale, but couldn't stand the look of the G15's (way too clunky). I got the Burners for $350 (4-gw), and I like them a lot. They are very similar to the Rocketballz, and you can get still them for about half price right now. Not a bad way to go if you like the Rocketballz and want to save a few bucks...

Anyway, I've only swung them a half dozen times (once on the course and the rest on the range), but they are definitely longer than my old clubs, and seem pretty forgiving. A lot of balls where I know my swing is a bit off, will still go relatively straight with an acceptable loss in distance. In other words, it seems that more of my bad shots are "playable" (except, obviouisly, for the really bad ones!). I'm coming from a set of Tommy Armour 845's that are 20-years old, though, so it's not surprising that I'm pleased with the effects of new technology. The only thing I don't like about the clubs is with the 4 and 5 iron, even on well-struck balls, sometimes the contact makes kind of a "slapping" sound.

Good Luck!

Edit: Note that if you buy the burners, you won't be able to get them "custom fit", since they are last year's model. The only thing you'll be able to do is choose your shaft stiffness, and you'll be stuck with the stock grips, shaft length, and lie angle. Fortunately all of my measurements were within the limits of the stock burners (I'm about 6'-1" and have long arms, FWIW). If you are particularly short or tall, or there's something else that's weird about you, the extra $ for the Rocketballz might be worth it just to get them custom fit...

You can get them bent if need be and put your own grips on. I do my own. Got tired of leaving my clubs at the golf shop. Everyone I know that has the 2.0's loves them. Here I would take them to golfsmith to customer fit them.

Check the loft on your clubs. I'll bet you find that all lofts are lower. ie. your PW is 44-45 degress as opposed to the standard 48.

Garcia Bronco
03-19-2012, 07:57 PM
I have a closet full of drivers, it's almost an addiction. I'm currently carrying 2 drivers in my bag. I have a Cleveland hi-bore tour model monster 8.5 with a stiff shaft that I can bomb down the fairway with a slight draw but at a very low trajectory. I also carry a white head Taylormade TP burner 10.5 with a regular shaft that I hit a high fade with when I need accuracy or to go over trees if cutting a corner but I lose about 25 yards in distance.

I use esipe.com and cherry pick Ebay auctions for drivers and putters so I can use them for a few rounds and re-sell them at a small profit or at least break even.

2 drivers...nice.

The Joker
03-19-2012, 07:59 PM
Mizuno's are the best irons out there, never heard anyone say a bad word about them.

Got a custom fit set a few years back, fabulous.

Taylor Made for drivers.

Callaway for fairway woods.

Mizuno for irons.

Cleveland for wedges.

Ping for putters.

Can never go wrong following this formula, IMO.

Pony Boy
03-19-2012, 08:53 PM
It's interesting when someone says a set of irons, I my case I carry the Callaway X22's but only 5 iron thru 9 iron. I carry 2 ping wedges and 2 Cleveland Wedges and a hybrid 3 iron and seven wood along with two drivers. I don't think I know anyone that plays with a full matching set of clubs.

Uncle Bill
03-19-2012, 09:15 PM
You can get them bent if need be and put your own grips on. I do my own. Got tired of leaving my clubs at the golf shop. Everyone I know that has the 2.0's loves them. Here I would take them to golfsmith to customer fit them.

Check the loft on your clubs. I'll bet you find that all lofts are lower. ie. your PW is 44-45 degress as opposed to the standard 48.

Yeah, the lofts on the burner 2.0's are pretty strong, typically by 3-4 degrees, except at the high and low end of the set, where they're closer to standard. It's taking some adjustment to recalibrate my yardages in my head. Love the clubs, though

I change my own grips too. I was just pointing that out to the OP since it would be an additional cost compared to buying the newer model clubs, where you might have a variety of choices included at no additional cost. Since grips for an entire set could run close to $100, it could make a difference in his decision.

Garcia Bronco
03-20-2012, 05:49 AM
It's interesting when someone says a set of irons, I my case I carry the Callaway X22's but only 5 iron thru 9 iron. I carry 2 ping wedges and 2 Cleveland Wedges and a hybrid 3 iron and seven wood along with two drivers. I don't think I know anyone that plays with a full matching set of clubs.

I have Cleveland irons, Cg-16: 5-Sw, my 50 and 56 are blade Cleveland wedges :)

DENVERDUI55
03-20-2012, 05:57 AM
I got a trail nix. Either mizuno blades mp37 or ping i3+ irons. Ping driver. Taylormade 3w Cleveland wedges. Scotty Cameron putter.

Elway 4 Life
03-20-2012, 06:03 AM
Calloway always comes out with great irons. I got the X22s and love them.

Ditto. Great, forgiving irons. Replaced an old set of Ping Zings. Went to Golfsmith in Austin and hit damn near every brand of club before deciding on the Callaways. They weren't the best feeling but for the price there perfect.

MrPappagiorgio
03-20-2012, 06:55 AM
Any good quality set with a nice cavity back is good. I play with Callaway Diablo Edge irons but can't tell much difference from the Slazenger set I had before. Unless you are a scratch golfer stay away from forged irons. The RBZ irons should be good but keep in mind next year they will be half the price.