PDA

View Full Version : Peyton Manning works out and takes physical for... the 49ers (Confirmed to be the Mystery Team)

UberBroncoMan
03-16-2012, 12:19 PM
People kept asking why they weren't in it. That they were a Manning away from a Super Bowl win. Talk about a team hiding in the dark.

@AdamSchefter

From @mortreport and me: Even before he worked out for Broncos, Peyton Manning worked out for 49ers and underwent a physical this week.

Alex Smith...sign that ****ing contract you stupid mother****er!

@Chris Mortensen (https://twitter.com/#%21/mortreport/status/180715600677584897)

Filed to ESPN: Third team in Manning race that has emerged is 49ers - Manning worked out for Harbaugh & took physical this week. So, barring a surprise, once Manning throws for Titans, it looks like Broncos, Titans & 49ers as finalists. He's NOT visited 49ers facility

Houshyamama
03-16-2012, 12:21 PM
Sooooo.... basically, no one has a damn clue what is going on.

I've been calling Manning to the 49ers for probably 4 months now.

bronco militia
03-16-2012, 12:23 PM

only peanut head knows

MABroncoFan

Except PM

jhns

I'm not sure Manning even knows what is going on right now.

BroncoBeavis
03-16-2012, 12:24 PM
Holy Crap.

cutthemdown
03-16-2012, 12:25 PM
Over it

sinuous sausage
03-16-2012, 12:27 PM
One of you, the one who mentioned this possibility in another thread a few hours ago, is a clairvoyant mofo.

zdoor
03-16-2012, 12:28 PM
Feeling more and more like if they don't get him today... It ain't happenin'

MVP-06
03-16-2012, 12:30 PM
been saying this is the perfect fit for him for weeks. Super Bowl caliber defense that is literally one player away from the super bowl. Makes sense

SonOfLe-loLang
03-16-2012, 12:30 PM
By the way, what becomes of Alex Smith if Peyton signed there? Would he have to be a backup somewhere?

BroncoBeavis
03-16-2012, 12:32 PM
By the way, what becomes of Alex Smith if Peyton signed there? Would he have to be a backup somewhere?

He'd find a starting job. Quit with your fantasies.

Rohirrim
03-16-2012, 12:33 PM
http://www.toonpool.com/user/5767/files/nintendo_crazy_circus_639505.jpg

Stagger Lee
03-16-2012, 12:34 PM

Welcome to Denver, Alex.

Kid A
So...I think we can now completely discount the "Manning was about to sign with Denver until Bud Adams stepped in" storyline. Peyton was never close to drawing this to a conclusion.

Guess we'll find out just how much he doesn't want to play in the NFC.

Dukes
It's over.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-16-2012, 12:36 PM
Welcome to Denver, Alex.

I think I'd stop being a fan

SonOfLe-loLang
03-16-2012, 12:36 PM
He'd find a starting job. Quit with your fantasies.

my "fantasies?" Its a serious question. Where would he go?

Play2win
03-16-2012, 12:39 PM
Welcome to Denver, Alex.

Weeden.

Drunken.Broncoholic
03-16-2012, 12:43 PM
I would quit if Alex smith came here.

This bozo shouldn't have balked at the contract the niners offered. Are they trying to get it lower by this move? I dont even think a contract is even on the table anymore. And if it is smith would be well on his way right now to sign it.

This could take another week or 2. Well after FA has settled

brom66an6
03-16-2012, 12:46 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/16/peyton-parameters-in-range-of-60-million-over-five-years/

Hopefully this isn't true I doubt he has 5 years left in him especially if he takes a bad shot to the neck at some point.

BroncoBeavis
03-16-2012, 12:52 PM

Miami?

Kid A
03-16-2012, 12:53 PM
Only hope is that '9ers are using Peyton as leverage in Alex Smith deal, Peyton using '9ers as leverage in Broncos/Titans contract. After all, it was just two coaches who saw him, he never visited them, his mouthpiece Mortenson is breaking this...

But probably not.

sinuous sausage
03-16-2012, 12:54 PM

Most guys go in a urinal

SonOfLe-loLang
03-16-2012, 12:56 PM
Miami?

Maybe. Maybe Seattle. They love mediocre QBs. I'd think Miami might just go with Matt MOore at this point. I suppose AZ is possible, but his smith that much of an upgrade over Kolb? Cleveland maybe?

Alex Smith sucks.

BroncoBeavis
03-16-2012, 01:02 PM
Maybe. Maybe Seattle. They love mediocre QBs. I'd think Miami might just go with Matt MOore at this point. I suppose AZ is possible, but his smith that much of an upgrade over Kolb? Cleveland maybe?

Alex Smith sucks.

I thought about Seattle. I really think Caroll's probably going to try to figure out a way for Barkley. Although I don't think they'll be drafting that low.

He'd probably take Alex on the cheap. Maybe it'll come to that. Who knows.

Drunken.Broncoholic
03-16-2012, 01:07 PM
This goes against his " not wanting to play baby brother " theory. Niners and giants are a rivalry. He's gonna get a lot of Eli if he's a niner.

TonyR
03-16-2012, 01:11 PM
We're now looking at another week of this fiasco.

HorseHead
03-16-2012, 01:12 PM
Peyton is pulling a "Pujols".......

The real winner? Tom Condon...

bronco militia
03-16-2012, 01:13 PM
Peyton is pulling a "Pujols".......

The real winner? Tom Condon...

oh damn....never thought of that.

sinuous sausage
03-16-2012, 01:14 PM

We could bail at any time. In fact, I'd highly recommend it

bfoflcommish
03-16-2012, 01:16 PM
We could bail at any time. In fact, I'd highly recommend it

agreed. he is either in or not after today. if not move on... we need much more help than just PM.

sinuous sausage
03-16-2012, 01:20 PM
agreed. he is either in or not after today. if not move on... we need much more help than just PM.

I agree with a sentiment someone expressed earlier that EFX have left themselves essentially no way out from this PM chase. Either they get him or they look like huge doofs. I fear their pride will keep them in this until the bitter end

bendog
03-16-2012, 01:29 PM
only peanut head knows

I'm starting to doubt he knows.

DB-Freak
03-16-2012, 01:43 PM
I don't care anymore.

Tired of ESPN calling it breaking news each time Manning ****ing works out for another team.

Kid A
03-16-2012, 02:06 PM
If I'm Elway, my anti-49ers pitch goes something like this:

1) We can pay you almost twice as much

2) Obviously a chance to win a Super Bowl is near the forefront of your thinking. The 49ers are strong on both sides of the ball and had a great season last year. But they also only got 1 game further than we did. And went 6-10 the year before with mostly the same team. The NFL is a crapshoot, especially come playoff time, and the line between good and great teams can be very thin. Really the only constants in recent history have been teams led by Brady, Rothlisberger and you. Come to Denver and we have a great shot at the playoffs every year. The 49ers may have better odds as their roster is constituted now, but these things can change quickly (e.g. Philly).

3) Are those odds so much better that you will take nearly 1/2 the money to play in the NFC, likely bumping into your brother every year? When this is your final payday?

maher_tyler
03-16-2012, 02:25 PM
THe obvious choice would be for him to go to SF. They would dominate the league. Vernon Davis, Crabtree, Moss, Gore and then their D. He'd be a fool to sign with anyone but SF! If he doesn't sign there, its CLEARLY about the money!

sinuous sausage
03-16-2012, 03:23 PM
If I'm Elway, my anti-49ers pitch goes something like this:

1) We can pay you almost twice as much

2) Obviously a chance to win a Super Bowl is near the forefront of your thinking. The 49ers are strong on both sides of the ball and had a great season last year. But they also only got 1 game further than we did. And went 6-10 the year before with mostly the same team. The NFL is a crapshoot, especially come playoff time, and the line between good and great teams can be very thin. Really the only constants in recent history have been teams led by Brady, Rothlisberger and you. Come to Denver and we have a great shot at the playoffs every year. The 49ers may have better odds as their roster is constituted now, but these things can change quickly (e.g. Philly).

3) Are those odds so much better that you will take nearly 1/2 the money to play in the NFC, likely bumping into your brother every year? When this is your final payday?

Long way of saying "He's going to SF."

UberBroncoMan
03-16-2012, 03:33 PM
THe obvious choice would be for him to go to SF. They would dominate the league. Vernon Davis, Crabtree, Moss, Gore and then their D. He'd be a fool to sign with anyone but SF! If he doesn't sign there, its CLEARLY about the money!

One thing stands against that.

They're in the NFC and he'd be essentially ****ing his brother over any shot at a Super Bowl appearance for the next 3-4 years.

If their family is truly tight knit and the bros care deeply about not ****ing one another this is just a formality. A very tempting one that all logic would say he should go to, but again, it would **** over Eli.

That leaves Denver and the favored Titans.

Also, the 49'ers could have done this to prolong the decision making process to knock AZ out of getting him...not sure that's the case though.

Seahawks have been struggling to get an audience with Manning too but I doubt they're in the picture.

BroncoBeavis
03-16-2012, 03:37 PM
One thing stands against that.

They're in the NFC and he'd be essentially ****ing his brother over any shot at a Super Bowl appearance for the next 3-4 years.

Well if Peyton wants to win a Super Bowl, by definition his brother can't. I doubt either of them would consider it much more of an issue. Eli's had his turn.

I think Peyton probably thought a Manning vs Manning Super Bowl was kind of a dream scenario. But he'd be crazy to line himself up with an inferior team for that 1 in 100 shot.

R8R H8R
03-16-2012, 04:40 PM
Guys like Vic & Klis still seem to think the Broncos are the frontrunners in this race. However, for the life of me, I don't know how PM can have a workout and physical with the Niners, and no one knows about it until now.

Traveler
03-16-2012, 05:24 PM

How long is Elway gonna keep kissing Manning's ass? Problem being he can't quit now because if he doesn't get him to sign, he's back to dealing with the Tebow thing.

If it wasn't clear before. It certainly is now. Tebow is not the QB Elway wants.

I hope they end this mess soon.

baja
03-16-2012, 05:30 PM
What I don't get is if PM is so accommodating why did the brain trust have to get on a plane to see him toss a football around when we had an important FA coming in for a signing? Does Payton get air sick? Maybe they don't have any new footballs at Dove Valley?

CEH
03-16-2012, 05:30 PM
How long is Elway gonna keep kissing Manning's ass? Problem being he can't quit now because if he doesn't get him to sign, he's back to dealing with the Tebow thing.

If it wasn't clear before. It certainly is now. Tebow is not the QB Elway wants.

I hope they end this mess soon.

Question is outside of a wildcard type QB who wants Tebow as a starter? Certainly not JAX whose front office signed Henne. MIA could sell tickets but look like they will try to sign Flynn though Flynn is not getting the starters treatment either

robbieopperude
03-16-2012, 05:37 PM
I think 49rs are 3rd in this race. I'm not sure Peyton wants to play in the NFC, I'm not sure I like his chances of even making Super Bowls coming out of the NFC with Green Bay, New Orleans, the Giants, and possibly Dallas/Detroit/Chicago all being very dangerous and very good.

Now the division he goes to in the NFC would set him up very nice to be in the playoffs but so would Denver. In the AFC there really is only the Pats to get through right now. San Diego and Pitt are down. The AFC is ripe for the taking. NFC...As Sterling Archer would say. Your entering the DANGER ZONE.

UberBroncoMan
03-16-2012, 05:41 PM
Steve Young just came out and said the 49'ers were likely going to land him.

This **** is like Nnamdi all over again.

Stan
03-16-2012, 08:21 PM
This is just conjecture on my part but I wonder if San Francisco is really all in on Manning. Why have they been waiting like this and not let it be known that they were interested while at the same time negotiating with Alex Smith? It seems to me that their first choice is to sign Smith at what they feel is a good price and they are maybe using Peyton Manning as insurance and leverage to get Smith to accept their offer. If San Francisco does indeed go after Manning where does that leave Smith? I don't see anyone knocking down his door who is going to give him any more than what San Francisco is probably offering. This really puts the niners in the driver's seat and puts a lot of pressure on Smith to just go ahead and accept the offer. I am sure there is genuine interest in Manning on their part but just how much are they willing to pay is my question.

theAPAOps5
03-16-2012, 08:23 PM
Steve Young just came out and said the 49'ers were likely going to land him.

This **** is like Nnamdi all over again.

Sharpe says Denver, then says 50/50 Titans and Denver, then says Denver. Just sayin!

barryr
03-16-2012, 08:24 PM
I have also wondered why the 49ers weren't going after Manning and wondering if they really thought Smith could help them win a Super Bowl. They are primed to win now with many good players and would not be like the Broncos who still need to acquire more pieces and Manning, if healthy, could do it for them. Money-wise, I suppose they can not offer as much, but Manning may want the money and a championship and he needs to realize that maybe he can't have it all.

theAPAOps5
03-16-2012, 08:27 PM
Reports are Manning says old contract is starting point. 49ers have some fat to trim if they are getting him. Not saying they don't just they have some work. Manning isn't taking a discount, regardless of what he said. Because he also said it would be quick.