PDA

View Full Version : Mike Wallace to Denver if Manning signs? (Rumor)

DefensiveBehavior
03-16-2012, 12:12 PM
There is talk of RFA Mike Wallace being moved to denver in exchange for the Broncos 1st pick in 2012,if Manning is signed.

Is there any truth to this?

WOW!

bronco militia
03-16-2012, 12:13 PM
nope...

RaiderH8r
03-16-2012, 12:16 PM
There is talk of RFA Mike Wallace being moved to denver in exchange for the Broncos 1st pick in 2012,if Manning is signed.

WOW!

Might want to put a question mark at the end of that thread title slick. False news reports are getting the ban hammer this week. I don't think you meant it to read that way but it does.

Steve Prefontaine
03-16-2012, 12:18 PM

WOW!

What talk?

Also, I'd change the title (as the previous poster mentioned).

Gcver2ver3
03-16-2012, 12:22 PM
please change the title of this thread...

it wreaks of attention whoring...

Stagger Lee
03-16-2012, 12:25 PM
No need for Wallace if we don't sign Manning, which is looking less and less likely with each passing minute.

cutthemdown
03-16-2012, 12:25 PM
over it

Taco John
03-16-2012, 12:26 PM
I've seen these rumors as well... Haven't seen a good source for them yet.

ludo21
03-16-2012, 12:38 PM
gimme gimme gimme gimme

Pick Six
03-16-2012, 01:00 PM
I don't, necessarily, want Wallace. However, a Manning signing may bring out FAs that would not normally look Denver's way...

bronco militia
03-16-2012, 01:03 PM
I don't, necessarily, want Wallace. However, a Manning signing may bring out FAs that would not normally look Denver's way...

the broncos would have to give up their #25 draft pick to sign Wallace

Old Dude
03-16-2012, 01:03 PM
Far as I can tell, it started off as nothing more than a suggestion by Mike Maylock about what HE would do if he was in charge of the Broncos after a Manning signing. Then it got blown up into a rumor.

UberBroncoMan
03-16-2012, 01:05 PM
Far as I can tell, it started off as nothing more than a suggestion by Mike Maylock about what HE would do if he was in charge of the Broncos after a Manning signing. Then it got blown up into a rumor.

I'd probably do it.

Then again, I'd have just resigned Royal and saved a ton of money and a pick.

Broncbow
03-16-2012, 01:06 PM
Peyton is going to need protection first and foremost.

Rohirrim
03-16-2012, 01:06 PM

That's how things work these days. It's like the old butterfly wing in Africa concept. Two months later, a hurricane spawns in the Caribbean.

SpringStein
03-16-2012, 01:33 PM
It would be appropriate as the Steelers took Wallace with the pick we traded up for to take...wait for it...Richard Quinn. ;)

DarkHorse
03-16-2012, 05:14 PM
Lombardi and lacanfora were discussing it on NFL network all morning saying that if Peyton Manning signs with us they have the opinion that Denver will make a run at Wallace because its only the 25 pick for wallaces production

broncogary
03-16-2012, 05:21 PM
It would be appropriate as the Steelers took Wallace with the pick we traded up for to take...wait for it...Richard Quinn. ;)

That stung.

Old Dude
03-16-2012, 05:22 PM
That stung.

That stung a lot.

spdirty
03-16-2012, 05:24 PM
Just me, but I'd rather get a DT with that pick.

DarkHorse
03-16-2012, 05:31 PM
Check that, it was mayock saying that about Wallace.

Taco John
03-16-2012, 05:33 PM
Just me, but I'd rather get a DT with that pick.

With that pick, you're better off picking up a DT in the second round. Wallace would give us a lot more value.

DarkHorse
03-16-2012, 05:42 PM
Yeah me too, Wallace is worth a 25.

All those dts that we wanted so badly last year... I can't even remember some of heir names, did any show up last year?

broncofan4life
03-16-2012, 07:04 PM
i'd give up the 25th pick for Wallace

Agamemnon
03-16-2012, 07:11 PM
It's a move I kind of expect honestly. Our receiving corps is young and has questionable talent outside of DT. And if we are going to be passing 80% of the time with Manning we're going to need good receivers.

Requiem
03-16-2012, 07:11 PM
I think the DT class is deep enough for the Broncos to get a good player in the second round. Wallace presents a great value for the Broncos at the position and would make us a great passing threat with Demaryius and Decker. I'm surprised that we haven't pursued a veteran FA wide receiver to come in with the younger guys. I think we need someone there with a lot of leadership. Lloyd and Royal were it, but they are gone -- and that's fine.

Just think we need a mature option there and Wallace, although young, presents that.

broncobum6162
03-16-2012, 08:10 PM

WOW!

I think it was a Mike Mayock NFLNW on a phone interview that mentioned they should do that if they get Manning. He also said they should pick up Dallas Clark.

Old Dude
03-16-2012, 08:10 PM
... He also said they should pick up Dwight Clark.

Dallas Clark.

barryr
03-16-2012, 08:12 PM
Mayock mentioned this earlier today, but stated that is what the Broncos should do in signing Wallace. In no way did he state a thing about the Broncos were actually going to do this or not. The Broncos could in the end, though I am growing tired of this Manning stuff. Sure, he wants to take his time, but it really takes a week or more?

broncobum6162
03-16-2012, 08:13 PM

Why you gotta go and ruin this thread?:spit:

The Moops
03-16-2012, 08:17 PM
Yeah, F- spending our 1st rounder on defense. Our defense is #1 it doesn't need any help.

Let's give Peyton everything the regime didn't give Tebow.

broncobum6162
03-16-2012, 08:29 PM
Dallas Clark.

Oops, you're so right. My bad. Had the 49ers WR on my mind I guess...:notworthy

Old Dude
03-16-2012, 08:43 PM
Oops, you're so right. My bad. Had the 49ers WR on my mind I guess...:notworthy

I still get PM mixed up with PMS.

cutthemdown
03-16-2012, 09:05 PM
With that pick, you're better off picking up a DT in the second round. Wallace would give us a lot more value.

I agree. IMO any team that either wants to draft a WR this yr, or needs a WR, would be foolish to not sign Wallace. He's better then any WR in the draft and still plenty young.

I don't mind using the FA money or high picks for guys that can make big plays. Just please no Ashley Lelie or Jarvis Moss's. If you can get Wallace for that first pick its a no brainer IMO, you do it. Hes a great player and unlike any WR we have right now. Him and DT would be a scary scary combo.

DT- big and fast makes him tough to cover 1 on 1

Wallace- Just so fast not many players can stay with him. He even runs through doubles to open space often.

extralife
03-16-2012, 09:18 PM
Yeah, F- spending our 1st rounder on defense. Our defense is #1 it doesn't need any help.

Mike Wallace is already good. He can't bust. The 25th overall pick in the draft? Who the hell knows. Who would you rather have: Mike Wallace, or some scrub DT that busts out of the league in three years? And is it so hard to understand that some receivers might be of more value with a Hall of Fame QB than with a guy who just completed 45% of his passes?

cutthemdown
03-16-2012, 09:24 PM
The most important thing is to get a great player with that 1st round pick. What position it is at almost doesn't matter for Broncos right now. IMO they can still us better Dline, WR, RB, Linebacking, corners even interior oline. Grabbing Wallace fulfills getting a great player with that first pick. If your first rounder is 20th or later it seems to me like a good move.

It may be more of how much he wants to get paid to leave Pitt.

No doubt though some stud DT who demands a double team would be huge for the Broncos. Just not sure we get that in this draft.

Drek
03-16-2012, 10:29 PM

This would be a great move if we had used this first week of FA to shore up the defense.

Imagine if we had Bunkley or Soliai locked up, added McClain, added one of Okoye, Jason Jones, or Langford, added a #2 CB (even if it is Trufant). Did all that, took defense off the top priority of the draft needs, then should Manning decide to come here we sign Saturday, Clark, and Wallace. That team is a real title contender.

Manning on this team now isn't much better than it is with Tebow. Manning can't keep himself upright like Tebow can and our OL can't protect him. Manning doesn't draw coverage out of position with his legs like Tebow and our WRs can't separate from defenders consistently at this point. Manning here would just take a beating while our incredibly young, incredibly raw offense hangs him out to dry.

Instead of teeing up the defensive needs early so we would be primed to deliver the offensive weapons Manning needs should we land him we've instead sat around with thumbs firmly planted up asses.

barryr
03-16-2012, 10:38 PM
This would be a great move if we had used this first week of FA to shore up the defense.

Imagine if we had Bunkley or Soliai locked up, added McClain, added one of Okoye, Jason Jones, or Langford, added a #2 CB (even if it is Trufant). Did all that, took defense off the top priority of the draft needs, then should Manning decide to come here we sign Saturday, Clark, and Wallace. That team is a real title contender.

Manning on this team now isn't much better than it is with Tebow. Manning can't keep himself upright like Tebow can and our OL can't protect him. Manning doesn't draw coverage out of position with his legs like Tebow and our WRs can't separate from defenders consistently at this point. Manning here would just take a beating while our incredibly young, incredibly raw offense hangs him out to dry.

Instead of teeing up the defensive needs early so we would be primed to deliver the offensive weapons Manning needs should we land him we've instead sat around with thumbs firmly planted up asses.

At this point, no one can reasonably argue against any of that. It is still possible for them to make some very good signings, but unless they already have some sort of agreements with players to wait, their time is running out and will be stuck with the crap we have been used to seeing them waste money on.

ZONA
03-17-2012, 02:31 AM
There's some good WR's in this draft that can be had in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. You PAC-12 guys have probably seen Jeron Criner several times. He's solid all around. Good enough speed, excellent hands, good route running. He's not a "special" Fitzgerald type of guy but he's going to be a good one. Projected late 2nd round but could slip to the 3rd. If Manning could make Austin Collie look great, he can work with who we have and who we draft. No need to go overboard and give up a 1st for a WR. Much rather spend that pick for a DL or OL player.

Dr. Broncenstein
03-17-2012, 05:57 AM
It's a first round pick plus a Desean Jackson / Vincent Jackson sized contract to sign the guy. Seems kind of dumb to me.

Old Dude
03-17-2012, 06:08 AM
I really don't want to overpay - in terms of money, trades or draft picks - for a wide receiver.

How many times have we been burned (or at least stung) doing this? Anthony Miller, Ashley Lelie, Darius Watts, Javon Walker, Eddie Royal. Jury still out on Thomas.

Over the past 15 years or so, which guys have actually been the most productive?

Rod Smith, Eddie Mac, Brandon Marshall and Brandon Lloyd all come to mind. None of these guys cost us much in terms of picks or free agent money.

And I don't think Denver is an unusual case. With a handful of exceptions, high profile, big money, wide receiver free agents haven't really paid off for many teams.