PDA

View Full Version : Broncos knew the risks when they chose to pursue Peyton Manning

Bronco Rob
03-16-2012, 06:19 AM
Broncos knew the risks when they chose to pursue Peyton Manning

Posted: 03/16/2012 01:00:00 AM MDT By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Postdenverpost.com

Today's questions about the Broncos come from Stephen I. in Kansas City, Mo:

Q: Are the Broncos going to do anything in free agency? I watch all of these other teams signing people. When are John Elway and Co. going to get in on it?

A: Stephen, in free agency, teams often chase the big fish and let the others swim by, or they let the big ones go by and try to catch as many of the smaller ones that will fit in their current boat.

The Broncos went the big-fish route, perhaps the biggest fish to appear on the open market since free agency began in 1994. Their focus in free agency has been Peyton Manning.

The Broncos knew the risks before they made the decision to take their swing at Manning. They have let most of the other top-tier free agents pass by.

And plenty of cash has been tossed around guard Ben Grubbs just got a $36 million deal from the Saints, after all but the Broncos' checkbook is pointed directly at Manning.

If they land the four-time NFL MVP, you'll see why. Manning isn't going to get some incentive-laden contract with all kinds of performance benchmarks, because he doesn't have to sign that kind of deal.

He's a franchise-changing quarterback, a future Hall of Famer. He's getting guaranteed money and plenty of it. And when the Broncos chose to pursue Manning, they decided they could live with the results whether or not they signed him.

If they do sign him, they will spend more money on offense. And until former Colts tight end Dallas Clark signs somewhere, folks in the NFL will keep saying he's going where Manning's going, just as they did about Reggie Wayne until he re-signed in Indianapolis.

If they don't sign him, they not only have to deal with explaining to Tim Tebow why they put the full-court press on, with enormous smiles on their faces, to sign his replacement. They will also have to regain their balance in free agency.

Yet this may not be.

all that difficult for the Broncos, given what their plan was before they started kicking around the idea of signing Manning. Their original plan in free agency was to work the middle tier of players, veterans who fit specific jobs in their schemes and to shy away from the big-money targets.

And most of those middle-tier players remain unsigned. Free agency opened with 532 players available to sign, and the vast majority have not signed.

for the rest..............http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20183105/broncos-knew-risks-when-they-chose-pursue-peyton

Broncbow
03-16-2012, 06:20 AM
Elway did make a move in FA he signed a safety who is on the verge of retiring. LMAO what a kook

Hulamau
03-16-2012, 06:48 AM
Elway did make a move in FA he signed a safety who is on the verge of retiring. LMAO what a kook

Elway a "KOOK" !?!? .... if this isn't the classic case of 'the Pot calling the Kettle black' I dont know what is!

Broncbow calling Elway a Kook ...Ha!! Always good to start the day with a good laugh ... :sunshine:

Rohirrim
03-16-2012, 09:58 AM
I think Neptune Beach is an institution.

HighCountryBronco
03-16-2012, 10:52 AM
I think Neptune Beach is an institution.

LOL

Jetmeck
03-16-2012, 11:03 AM
**** this stupidity. We have major holes on defense to fill and yet we sit on our ass and do nothing. We have a guy behind center who did a hell of a lot with very damn little last year. Fix the defense and give TT some help on offense and build this freakin team for the long haul...............

cutthemdown
03-16-2012, 11:09 AM
People just need to be patient. Broncos have money and eventually if they get Manning will add some weapons for him in FA and the draft. If he doesn't come they can sign a lot of value FA to fill in depth and hit the draft for more defense, stay the course.

It was worth the risk going for Manning, he is that good.

The only FAs on the market I think were worth all the fuss were

1-Manning
2-Nicks
3-Williams
4-Wallace

Honestly Mario got so much money, don't thnk we should pay that when we have Doom and Miller on the defense. Nicks would have been nice at any price IMO.

Wallace still out there and he is easily worth a first round pick.

HighCountryBronco
03-16-2012, 11:10 AM
If they end up signing Jameel Mcclain, Peyton Manning, and Dallas Clark I think it would be awesome. Mike Tolbert would make it brilliant. But even if they dont sign any of them, I hardly think that makes Elway a kook. Obviously, if Elway and the Broncos didnt go after Peyton Manning, one of the G.O.A.T, they would be nuts given their current situation at QB. I love Tebow, but he has alot to work on and it is not a gimme that he will "fix" his footwork or be able to read defenses at NFL speed, or consistently throw completions in double coverage. I think, and hope he will, but I just don't know. I hope Denver gets the free agents above, because I am a life long Bronco fan, I am also a Tebow fan, but a Bronco fan first.

HighCountryBronco
03-16-2012, 11:12 AM
People just need to be patient. Broncos have money and eventually if they get Manning will add some weapons for him in FA and the draft. If he doesn't come they can sign a lot of value FA to fill in depth and hit the draft for more defense, stay the course.

It was worth the risk going for Manning, he is that good.

The only FAs on the market I think were worth all the fuss were

1-Manning
2-Nicks
3-Williams
4-Wallace

Honestly Mario got so much money, don't thnk we should pay that when we have Doom and Miller on the defense. Nicks would have been nice at any price IMO.

Wallace still out there and he is easily worth a first round pick.

^ this.

HighCountryBronco
03-16-2012, 11:14 AM
I agree on Wallace. I WISH the Broncos would get that done!

Ratboy
03-16-2012, 11:14 AM

Keep the term out of football, kook.

Boltjolt
03-16-2012, 11:28 AM
If Manning signs elsewhere, it is going to be a trainwreck in Denver. Elway will be Tebowing for forgiveness....lol

OR

If he signs in Seattle you can get Tevaris Jackson from them....or Hasselbeck from Tenessee if he signs there.

HighCountryBronco
03-16-2012, 11:32 AM
If Manning signs elsewhere, it is going to be a trainwreck in Denver. Elway will be Tebowing for forgiveness....lol

OR

If he signs in Seattle you can get Tevaris Jackson from them....or Hasselbeck from Tenessee.

Elway will get it done because he is the man!:strong:

Broncbow
03-16-2012, 11:34 AM
Elway has a super star at QB, yet he is going for a washed up QB who is one hit away from being crippled or dead. Elway is putting on a Kook clinic.

Trading his back up QB to a division rival who wind up beating the Broncos. Kook

Trades the best receiver on the team prior to Tebow starting? Kook.

This fan base is putting on a clinic in regards to being in denial of just how much of a kook Elway is for attempting to bring in a QB to a team with a horrible offensive line, and No TE's or or No.1 WR.

No way this team can afford to bring in protection and receivers for Manning once he is signed, yet the fans are buying in to Elway as if he is anything but a kook. Wake up freaks

broncosteven
03-16-2012, 11:38 AM
I wish we would land Tolbert already either way.

Broncbow
03-16-2012, 11:39 AM
Payaton Manning is a luxury this team can not afford.

UberBroncoMan
03-16-2012, 12:03 PM
I agree on Wallace. I WISH the Broncos would get that done!

Would make losing Royal ok in my book.