PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Trufant visiting the Broncos Friday

ColoradoBuff
03-15-2012, 11:52 AM
Adam Schefter ‏ @AdamSchefter
Former Seahawks Pro Bowl cornerback Marcus Trufant is scheduled to visit the Denver Broncos on Friday.

BMarsh615
03-15-2012, 11:53 AM
Former Seahawks Pro Bowl cornerback Marcus Trufant is scheduled to visit the Denver Broncos on Friday.

https://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter/status/180350285070344192

Drunken.Broncoholic
Trufant > Goodman

Rabb
thank God we have that free agency thread

Gcver2ver3
03-15-2012, 11:58 AM
yes please...

Taco John
03-15-2012, 11:59 AM
Love Trufant. He's a big fan favorite here in the Pac NW.

Kaylore
03-15-2012, 11:59 AM
This is better.

TheReverend
03-15-2012, 12:00 PM
Maintaining status quo.

55CrushEm
Excellent. Our FO might be waking up from the pizza induced coma.

UberBroncoMan
32 year old CB (December) who's gone completely downhill since his Pro Bowl year in 07.

4.44 40 time coming out of college. No doubt he's lost a step.

Champ was in the 4.2's back then.

TheReverend
03-15-2012, 12:01 PM
Is there anyone else over 30 with an injured neck that missed most of/all of last year that we can bring in, or have we now monopolized that market?

55CrushEm
03-15-2012, 12:02 PM
32 year old CB (Decenmber) who's gone completely downhill since his Pro Bowl year in 07.

Champ was in the 4.2's.

Hey. I don't give a ****. Just glad we're attempting to talk to people.

:giggle:

Drek
03-15-2012, 12:04 PM
Need them vets! Why spend FA money on mid-20's potential long term options? We can get another guy with maybe a year or two left in the tank!

Drunken.Broncoholic
03-15-2012, 12:05 PM
Love Trufant. He's a big fan favorite here in the Pac NW.

I agree. I know quite a few hawks fans that love this guy.

Drunken.Broncoholic
03-15-2012, 12:07 PM
Need them vets! Why spend FA money on mid-20's potential long term options? We can get another guy with maybe a year or two left in the tank!

Lelie potential? Foster potential? Moreno potential? Richard Quinn potential? Cox potential? Moss potential? Young doesn't always equate to talent.

Kid A
03-15-2012, 12:08 PM
We'll have at least one young guy at safety, one young guy at nickle. Not that crazy to have a few older guys, including one for a little cheaper when Champ is getting paid a lot.

gyldenlove
03-15-2012, 12:08 PM
I don't mind veteran safeties, but veteran CBs are rarely good.

Tombstone RJ
03-15-2012, 12:09 PM
Bring in Trufant and draft a CB?

Drunken.Broncoholic
03-15-2012, 12:09 PM

Don't hurt champs feelings!

Drunken.Broncoholic
03-15-2012, 12:11 PM
Kirkpatrick has potential. If it was him we got I'd take that kind of young over trufant.

Old Dude
03-15-2012, 12:17 PM
merged

barryr
03-15-2012, 12:18 PM
Elway building a Super Bowl team? Trufant, a 30+ year old CB coming off a chronic back problem. Would be shocked if he lasted a season. I'd rather see them draft a CB than waste time bringing in these kinds of CB's.

Gcver2ver3
03-15-2012, 12:19 PM
32 year old CB (December) who's gone completely downhill since his Pro Bowl year in 07.

Champ was in the 4.2's back then.

consider the alternatives...

i'll take trufant in a heartbeat to replace goodman...

don't know if you've looked but the top corners went pretty fast in FA...

Dedhed
03-15-2012, 12:22 PM
Lelie potential? Foster potential? Moreno potential? Richard Quinn potential? Cox potential? Moss potential? Young doesn't always equate to talent.

And not a single FA in the bunch. Good take!

oubronco
03-15-2012, 12:22 PM
http://gifcrap.com/d/1684-1/Slow+kid+tied+to+a+jungle+gym.gif

pricejj
03-15-2012, 12:24 PM
Marcus Trufant - CB - 4.38 forty, former All Pro

...missed 2011 with an aggravation of back injury suffered during 2009 season.

What is the status of this back injury?

serious hops
03-15-2012, 12:28 PM
Sweet! This guy fits our criteria perfectly. . . we can get him on the cheap.

eddie mac
03-15-2012, 12:31 PM
Goodman allowed only 54.1% of passes completed against him last year

Trufant allowed 59.5% through the 4 games he played in

Oh and by the way Champ allowed 54%

Young Harris allowed over 70% completion rate.

Broncos4Life
03-15-2012, 12:31 PM
Why would this guy sign with us? ****, right now, why would any FA sign with us?

maher_tyler
03-15-2012, 12:32 PM

Reading through 10+ pages gets annoying...

Rohirrim
03-15-2012, 12:32 PM
This is beginning to sound like the Shanahan free agent strategy: Find the guy with the injury.

DBroncos4life
03-15-2012, 12:35 PM

Woodson and rogers don't agree.

Broncos4Life
03-15-2012, 12:36 PM
This is beginning to sound like the Shanahan free agent strategy: Find the guy with the injury.

All we need to do know is draft a guy in the 1st rd that finished up his collegiate career injured, and we'll have it down pat....

barryr
03-15-2012, 12:38 PM

Neither was 30 or more when signing with a new team.

BroncoBen
03-15-2012, 12:50 PM
Hummm.. Trufant may still have something in the tank. If nothing else, adds depth.

R8R H8R
03-15-2012, 01:17 PM
I think this telegraph's that we will be drafting one or two CB's in April.

Either that or we're ****ed!

ayjackson
03-15-2012, 01:32 PM
I Tracey Porter still available?

DBroncos4life
03-15-2012, 01:38 PM

Are you saying the only way a player over 30 can still play at a high level is he remains on the same team he turns 30 on?

barryr
03-15-2012, 02:00 PM
Are you saying the only way a player over 30 can still play at a high level is he remains on the same team he turns 30 on?

You stated both Woodson and Rogers were 30 or older when signed and I corrected that. I didn't state no player can be good past 30, though it is rare finding a 30+ aged CB who signs with another team being that great. Trufant is not just a 30+ year old, but he has a bad back and those rarely get better with age. I speak from experience on that one.

DBroncos4life
03-15-2012, 02:09 PM
You stated both Woodson and Rogers were 30 or older when signed and I corrected that. I didn't state no player can be good past 30, though it is rare finding a 30+ aged CB who signs with another team being that great. Trufant is not just a 30+ year old, but he has a bad back and those rarely get better with age. I speak from experience on that one.

What gyldenlove said:

What I said to him:

What you said to me:

When did I say anything about being 30 or older bud?

barryr
03-15-2012, 02:14 PM
What gyldenlove said:

What I said to him:

What you said to me:

When did I say anything about being 30 or older bud?

I answered your question about being 30. If you didn't want the answer, then don't ask me the question. Seems simple.

DBroncos4life Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr

DontBeMessin
03-15-2012, 02:16 PM
I really hope you pick up Trufant.... I mean I REALLY hope you pick up Trufant!!

DBroncos4life
03-15-2012, 02:17 PM
I answered your question about being 30. If you didn't want the answer, then don't ask me the question. Seems simple.

DBroncos4life Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr

When barryr? When in the god damn thread did I state Woodson and Rogers was over 30? When!!!!

barryr
03-15-2012, 02:18 PM

Porter would be much better for sure IMO.

Punisher
03-15-2012, 03:05 PM
i like this

oubronco
03-15-2012, 03:46 PM
Why would this guy sign with us? ****, right now, why would any FA sign with us?

Released by the Seahawks on March 7, Trufant has battled a recurring back injury for the past three years. He turned 31 in December, and itís unclear whether Trufant has anything left in the tank.

Drek
03-15-2012, 03:48 PM

No, that is actually what you FO apologists are suggesting, that we should just draft replacements at our need positions when our needs + losses outnumber our total picks, let alone our picks of real value.

What I'm suggesting is signing guys like Dan Connor (26), Paul Soliai (28), Tracey Porter (26), Brandon Carr (26), Jason Jones (25), etc.

Connor is making a world tour it seems yet we haven't picked up the damn phone. We let Soliai walk because we couldn't beat 2 years/$12M total. Brandon Carr got railroaded in by Dallas, we didn't even make a play. Porter is still out there but we're going for a guy who has half a decade on him instead. We're kicking the tires on John Abraham who is an old situational pass rush DE while Jason Jones, a young guy who can rush the passer from the interior and bump out to DE as well if you want apparently isn't even on our radar.

We'll chase a scrub like Meriweather that others for some crazy reason are interested in but a guy with potential break out upside looking for a chance to play like Tom Zbikowski (26) isn't someone we feel like touching base with. He'd cost you pennies, immediately could work as the KR/PR, and will be able to legitimately compete at FS or SS. He might not be anything more than a solid backup and special teamer, but he'd come cheap and show up with a hunger to compete. The risk is low and the return is high. Way better than letting a scrub like Rafael Bush remain on the roster for next year.

This is the **** I'm talking about. You can't say we're going to build for the long term and then spend all our money on old vets like Warren and McGahee last year, or now Trufant and Abraham this year. You also can't make a real run at Manning if you can't walk and chew gum at the same time, i.e. make the moves needed to improve your defense while he decides. Our FO seems obsessed with making both of these mistakes.

I don't WANT to sign guys like Mario Williams or Cortland Finnegan. You're paying full freight on what might be the very best they give you. But a lot of solid players are out there in their mid-20's that you could add without breaking the bank and have some real chance to get value out of them as soon as next season.

Instead its old stop gaps or hope and pray for late round rookies to surprise us. Hell of a philosophy.

ScottXray
03-15-2012, 03:49 PM
Trufant...Goodman.....Trufant.....Goodman....

SAME guy...but Goodman is healthier.

JEBUS wept!

cutthemdown
03-15-2012, 04:00 PM
I really hope you pick up Trufant.... I mean I REALLY hope you pick up Trufant!!

You can forget about the Raiders. Crazy Al Davis was making moves knowing he would be dead soon. No regard to the future of the team. Now they have to cut tons of players. Raiders going to stink this yr! 5 wins max

cutthemdown
03-15-2012, 04:01 PM
No, that is actually what you FO apologists are suggesting, that we should just draft replacements at our need positions when our needs + losses outnumber our total picks, let alone our picks of real value.

What I'm suggesting is signing guys like Dan Connor (26), Paul Soliai (28), Tracey Porter (26), Brandon Carr (26), Jason Jones (25), etc.

Connor is making a world tour it seems yet we haven't picked up the damn phone. We let Soliai walk because we couldn't beat 2 years/$12M total. Brandon Carr got railroaded in by Dallas, we didn't even make a play. Porter is still out there but we're going for a guy who has half a decade on him instead. We're kicking the tires on John Abraham who is an old situational pass rush DE while Jason Jones, a young guy who can rush the passer from the interior and bump out to DE as well if you want apparently isn't even on our radar.

We'll chase a scrub like Meriweather that others for some crazy reason are interested in but a guy with potential break out upside looking for a chance to play like Tom Zbikowski (26) isn't someone we feel like touching base with. He'd cost you pennies, immediately could work as the KR/PR, and will be able to legitimately compete at FS or SS. He might not be anything more than a solid backup and special teamer, but he'd come cheap and show up with a hunger to compete. The risk is low and the return is high. Way better than letting a scrub like Rafael Bush remain on the roster for next year.

This is the **** I'm talking about. You can't say we're going to build for the long term and then spend all our money on old vets like Warren and McGahee last year, or now Trufant and Abraham this year. You also can't make a real run at Manning if you can't walk and chew gum at the same time, i.e. make the moves needed to improve your defense while he decides. Our FO seems obsessed with making both of these mistakes.

I don't WANT to sign guys like Mario Williams or Cortland Finnegan. You're paying full freight on what might be the very best they give you. But a lot of solid players are out there in their mid-20's that you could add without breaking the bank and have some real chance to get value out of them as soon as next season.

Instead its old stop gaps or hope and pray for late round rookies to surprise us. Hell of a philosophy.

Elway is looking for vet bargains in FA, not paying some 2 down player like Solia 6 mil a yr.

Lestat
03-15-2012, 04:33 PM
Trufant is a talented guy but the injuries keep piling up for him. i definitely wouldn't mind them bring him in but we need to hit CB in the draft as well, can't count on Champ + someone else forever.

DontBeMessin
03-15-2012, 05:01 PM
You can forget about the Raiders. Crazy Al Davis was making moves knowing he would be dead soon. No regard to the future of the team. Now they have to cut tons of players. Raiders going to stink this yr! 5 wins max

We will be in the playoffs...

elsid13
03-15-2012, 05:07 PM

Nice Post - Rep.

I don't understand EFX strategy at all, unless it is order by Bowlen not to spend money. I understand and supporting going after Manning, but we also need to get some talent that 24 to 29 range to ensure have winning team year after year.

gyldenlove
03-15-2012, 05:29 PM

I wonder why we didn't go after Connor, obviously Fox knows him quite well so if we didn't make any play at all there is probably a reason. Not getting Soliai seems like a mistake, I think offering term with less per year would have gotten it done, if we could get him at 5 years, 25 mill somewhat backloaded I would be fine with that.

Carr was going for a contract that paid him number 1 CB money, that is why Kansas City dropped him so quickly and went out and got Routt instead. Carr is a really good number 2 CB, but there is no way I am paying 10 mill a year for a number 2. I really wonder why nobody seems to have approached Porter yet, he is a young guy who at the very least is a solid nickel with number 2 upside.

Jason Jones is the best DT in FA this year, somewhat surprised he hasn't been chased more than he has, so far I think it is Rams and Seahawks, I would really love us to make a play for him, he would fit very well with Bunkley.

Zbikowski is David Bruton over again, good special teams player with absolutely no value on defense. Just because he is young doesn't mean he has potential.

The only way I can justify Trufant is if we let go of Goodman and draft a CB in round 1 or 2, get him on a 1 year deal as an insurance policy and that is it.

If Manning goes to Tennessee I want them to take all the money they had set aside for him, and throw that money at Stephen Tulloch, Jason Jones and Broderick Bunkley, that would give us a very solid front 7 and would allow us to look at CB and offense in the draft.

barryr
03-15-2012, 05:37 PM
When barryr? When in the god damn thread did I state Woodson and Rogers was over 30? When!!!!

Argue your semantics bozo and I didn't write you did, so bother fighting with someone that cares that much about your Trufant obsession. Good grief, at least pick a great player to be in love with.

DBroncos4life
03-15-2012, 05:40 PM
Argue your semantics bozo and I didn't write you did, so bother fighting with someone that cares that much about your Trufant obsession. Good grief, at least pick a great player to be in love with.

Right so you are admitting I didn't say anything about age just called them vets. Apology excepted.

barryr
03-15-2012, 05:41 PM
Right so you are admitting I didn't say anything about age just called them vets. Apology excepted.

Never said you did. Oh, that was 4 words before the period prissy boy, who actually spends time counting words in posts.LOL

DBroncos4life
03-15-2012, 05:45 PM

Never said you did. Oh, that was 4 words before the period prissy boy, who actually spends time counting words in posts.LOL

weird.

Jetmeck
03-15-2012, 07:23 PM
Is there anyone else over 30 with an injured neck that missed most of/all of last year that we can bring in, or have we now monopolized that market?

lol...hell yeah. how about any more half ass retreads at DT.
We really like those too..........................

barryr
03-15-2012, 08:45 PM
weird.

One word before a period. Yet you call someone else weird LOL

Jesterhole
03-15-2012, 08:55 PM

Right, because it is worth it to sift through 150 pages of 6 dudes crying back and forth over whatever they are crying about today.

Requiem
03-15-2012, 09:10 PM
barryr's back hurts because he loves brokeback mountain

DBroncos4life
03-15-2012, 09:26 PM
One word before a period. Yet you call someone else weird LOL

Is that all you got? Hilarious!

Doggcow
03-15-2012, 10:51 PM
We will be in the playoffs...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_AIyYZZwhGsk/SYM7_euMAlI/AAAAAAAAA1U/FUDsBYzT85U/s1600/Delusion.jpg

serious hops
03-15-2012, 11:31 PM

Yes. But he's young and healthy, and might cost an extra million or two-- and actually fill a roster spot more than a year or two. Can't have that. We wouldn't want him taking money or playing time away from any of our brilliantly talented young corners.

pricejj
03-15-2012, 11:44 PM
Goodman has been the only solid guy to come in opposite of Champ...DWill got picked on, Foxworth...please, Lenny Walls lasted one year, and Dre Bly got lit up too.

It would be stupid to replace Goodman with Trufant, and take a cap hit. just dumb. Get Porter or draft a CB.

WTF

Drek
03-16-2012, 05:02 AM
Goodman has been the only solid guy to come in opposite of Champ...DWill got picked on, Foxworth...please, Lenny Walls lasted one year, and Dre Bly got lit up too.

It would be stupid to replace Goodman with Trufant, and take a cap hit. just dumb. Get Porter or draft a CB.

WTF

Goodman was solid for one year, maybe half way into the next. But from about mid-2010 and all through 2011 he was the single biggest weakness in a defense featuring an MLB who can't cover and consistently fails to recognize his assignments, no DT who can generate pass rush, and a revolving door of rookie safeties when Dawkins was hurt.

But yes, Trufant is in no way a significant upgrade. Pursuing him has to be because his agent is now our contracts guy. Porter isn't a world beater but he's young enough to still be a viable player when we really start putting things together in a year or two.

fontaine
03-16-2012, 06:04 AM
All this b*tching over some no name players that won't make a damn difference in the playoffs never mind super bowl and we're just three days into FA.

Some of you girls crave drama.

You're welcome to it.

Drek
03-16-2012, 06:53 AM
All this b*tching over some no name players that won't make a damn difference in the playoffs never mind super bowl and we're just three days into FA.

Some of you girls crave drama.

You're welcome to it.

Last I checked the specific function of this forum was to discuss the activities of the Denver Broncos. So if you have no interest in the day to day player personnel moves of the Broncos why would you come here?

And of course the Broncos aren't going to step out and buy a title. That never works. But if the question being asked is "how do you build for a Super Bowl run?" I'm pretty sure the answer isn't "sign a bunch of guys who will retire before the rest of the team matures." Hence why I've been advocating the acquisition of mid-20's veterans who have shown some potential either as backups or short term starters. Maybe they aren't the answer, if not we'll go looking for someone else.

If you have four need positions on defense (MLB, DT, CB, S), signing such a player for each one of the four, then hit on only two of those four you have cut the needs on defense in half for the next three or four years, not just the next year or two. By repeatedly doing that you fill your holes faster than new ones are created by age related decline, injury, and FA loss. If you go with one or two year stop gaps you are re-addressing that same position year after year while new holes open up all the time.

We need to lock down our MLB before DJ is gone and we're asking ourselves what to do at WOLB. Von Miller can't be the only starting linebacker worth a **** on what we hope to be a solid defense.

We need to lock down #2 CB before Champ needs to be replaced as the #1. We seem to have gotten lucky on a solid #3 with #2 potential last year in Harris, so thats a big help. But we need a #2 to go along with him so we have at least two solid corners when we're suddenly short our elite #1 guy.

And that isn't even considering the fact that at DT and S we're still looking to just have solid units period.

barryr
03-16-2012, 07:54 AM
Is that all you got? Hilarious!

So you agree that such a post is stupid? But it wasn't stupid enough for you to have done the same in the first place? Dork LOL

DBroncos4life
03-16-2012, 09:48 AM
So you agree that such a post is stupid? But it wasn't stupid enough for you to have done the same in the first place? Dork LOL

Wow! Nice to see you are go with the blah blah defense when you got proven wrong.

barryr
03-16-2012, 10:03 AM
Wow! Nice to see you are go with the blah blah defense when you got proven wrong.

Which is something you did to begin with LOL