PDA

View Full Version : The MLB Record That Won't Soon Be Broken

houghtam
03-14-2012, 10:15 AM
Interesting/Entertaining read:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/spring2012/story/_/id/7677629/octavio-dotel-knows-all-changing-places

When he signed with the Tigers this winter, it may not have been news of quite the same magnitude as it was when the Tigers signed that Prince guy. But it was way more historic -- because it put Octavio Dotel in position to do something no player in history has ever done:

Play for 13 different teams. In the major leagues. And the fact that he's done that in only 13 years? Just makes it all the more awe-inspiring.

BroncoLifer
03-14-2012, 10:36 AM
Another one that won't be broken soon? Johnny Vander Meer's back-to-back no hitters. It will take 3 consecutive no-hitters to break that record.

houghtam
03-14-2012, 10:39 AM
Another one that won't be broken soon? Johnny Vander Meer's back-to-back no hitters. It will take 3 consecutive no-hitters to break that record.

LOL well there are a ton of MLB records that won't be broken anytime soon. I just think this article is fascinating...I mean, think about it. In order to play for 13 separate teams (in 13 years), you have to be good enough to play for 13 years...but bad enough for 12 teams to decide they don't want you.

That's talent right there. :)

TonyR
03-14-2012, 10:41 AM
What is this "baseball" you speak of? There is no "baseball" during NFL FA and March Madness.

houghtam
03-14-2012, 10:43 AM
What is this "baseball" you speak of? There is no "baseball" during NFL FA and March Madness.

You don't know me very well. I'll take baseball spring training over an NFL FA period, 2 March Madnesses and 3 Super Bowls any day of the week.

:strong:

broncocalijohn
03-14-2012, 10:46 AM

I was going to say the same thing. Unless it is a robot/cyborg, this record will never be broken. Came close to tying it but this is the safest bet of all sports.

canadianbroncosfan
03-14-2012, 10:52 AM
You don't know me very well. I'll take baseball spring training over an NFL FA period, 2 March Madnesses and 3 Super Bowls any day of the week.

:strong:

you're nuts!

But back to baseball. I remember Dotel in T.O. last season and thought what a bum, was glad to see him go to the Cards. Then I didn't see him again til the World Series, and thought "Where the f has this guy been?". He seems rather hot and cold however good for him, $3.5M/sea for an average relief guy

houghtam
03-14-2012, 11:04 AM
I was going to say the same thing. Unless it is a robot/cyborg, this record will never be broken. Came close to tying it but this is the safest bet of all sports.

Really? The safest? What about these gems?

39 consecutive complete games - Jack Taylor, St. Louis Cardinals, 1904

25.1 consecutive no-hit innings - Cy Young, Boston Americans, 1904

12 consecutive seasons with 20 or more wins - Christy Mathewson, NY Giants

56 consecutive games with a hit - Joe DiMaggio, NY Yankees, 1941

23 consecutive seasons hitting .300 or better - Ty Cobb, Detroit Tigers

Rohirrim
03-14-2012, 12:38 PM
Who owns the Dodgers this week?

I kid.

Latest rumor: Kroenke buys the Dodgers and moves the Rams back to L.A.

broncosteven
03-14-2012, 12:41 PM
I thought this thread was about our record of not being able to find a MLB since Al Wilson was forced to retire.

houghtam
03-14-2012, 12:50 PM
I thought this thread was about our record of not being able to find a MLB since Al Wilson was forced to retire.

Six of one...

TheChamp24
03-14-2012, 02:51 PM
Dotel was a beast with the Astros as a set up man.
Then he was thought of to be a closer, and after that an average middle relief guy.
The number of teams grew since he would sign with a bottom feeder and then get traded to a contender.

houghtam
03-14-2012, 03:00 PM
Dotel was a beast with the Astros as a set up man.
Then he was thought of to be a closer, and after that an average middle relief guy.
The number of teams grew since he would sign with a bottom feeder and then get traded to a contender.

Only player in league history with at least 16 starts and 16 saves in the same season.