PDA

View Full Version : Paul Soliai DT visiting Broncos

LittleFloyd
03-14-2012, 08:49 AM
Per PFT.

Dedhed
03-14-2012, 08:50 AM
Nice. Hopefully Jason Jones follows him.

spdirty
03-14-2012, 08:50 AM
Good. Hope he signs.

oubronco
03-14-2012, 08:51 AM
Does this mean Bunkley isn't going to sign a new deal here

LittleFloyd
03-14-2012, 08:54 AM
Does this mean Bunkley isn't going to sign a new deal here

Good question. Interesting to know we've heard zero news on Bunkley from the entire NFL.

Chris
03-14-2012, 09:03 AM
He's in his bunkler.

HooptyHoops
03-14-2012, 09:05 AM
I don't know enough about DT's, but is Soltiai better than Bunkley? Bunkley played really good for you, but I read that the Dolphins franchised Soltiai last year(wow)!!

Kaylore
03-14-2012, 09:05 AM
He's in his bunkler.

http://instantrimshot.com/

Butterscotch Stallion
03-14-2012, 09:08 AM
first time ive been excited this offseason.

pricejj
03-14-2012, 09:09 AM
I don't know enough about DT's, but is Soltiai better than Bunkley? Bunkley played really good for you, but I read that the Dolphins franchised Soltiai last year(wow)!!

Soliai is 6'4" 355 lbs. He often commands a double team, but will be expensive to sign...it's not like we don't have the money.

Bunkley is solid, but is only 6'2" 306 lbs. He doesn't command a double team.

I would say the market for Soliai is ~$8M per year, Bunkley ~5M per year.

...now there are reports that Soliai is not coming for a visit? crack job EFX

HILife
03-14-2012, 09:10 AM
in before priceJJ goes on his whinefest about how much Soliai sucks.

EDIT: DAMN IT!!!!

eddie mac
03-14-2012, 09:11 AM
Klis says he isn't visiting.

pricejj
03-14-2012, 09:12 AM
in before priceJJ goes on his whinefest about how much Soliai sucks.

I said you can't sign both Soliai and Bunkley, which the Broncos are obviously not going to do. The only reason Soliai is even on the radar is because we haven't been able to resign Bunkley.

Butterscotch Stallion
03-14-2012, 09:13 AM
Klis says he isn't visiting.

well luckily we are pursuing an area of need in qb instead.

Chris
03-14-2012, 09:13 AM
so they liaid to us......

Drunken.Broncoholic
03-14-2012, 09:16 AM
They scheduled a visit for me around 2 pm. I'm gonna put some pads on and run around cones. I'm the broncos only scheduled visit for FA.

eddie mac
03-14-2012, 09:22 AM
Klis has updated to say visit will be scheduled after Manning decision, basically everything is on hold. Personally I think that's the stupidest thing this franchise could've done but I'm only a fan. If I **** up it costs me nothing. If certain people **** up this offseason they should be in an unemployment queue.

ND Bronco Fan
03-14-2012, 09:26 AM
Klis has updated to say visit will be scheduled after Manning decision, basically everything is on hold. Personally I think that's the stupidest thing this franchise could've done but I'm only a fan. If I **** up it costs me nothing. If certain people **** up this offseason they should be in an unemployment queue.

Or it could mean the Manning decision is coming shortly......

ol#7
03-14-2012, 09:26 AM

Look, Manning or Tebow, this team still has holes. How does it make any sense to wait on PM? If they sign him does that mean that they arent signing anyone else since he took all the cash? If not, then why does it matter? Jesus they come off as incompetent sometimes.

oubronco
03-14-2012, 09:30 AM

Wow, I agree they need to get moving and if Manning wants on board great if not then so be it but to sit by and not take action in other areas is stupid

rugbythug
03-14-2012, 09:31 AM
Look, Manning or Tebow, this team still has holes. How does it make any sense to wait on PM? If they sign him does that mean that they arent signing anyone else since he took all the cash? If not, then why does it matter? Jesus they come off as incompetent sometimes.

Do you build the same team around 15the and 18. No its the first full day no team won the super bowl opening of fa

Drek

Nice to know that even the FO's mouthpiece (Klis) admits that they can't walk and chew gum at the same ****ing time.

Good god. Talk about a walled garden of nepotism. In what other competitive field can you be this bad at your job and still retain it?

Dedhed
So we're basically saying that we aren't addressing anything until Manning decides?

Drek
03-14-2012, 09:33 AM
Do you build the same team around 15the and 18. No its the first full day no team won the super bowl opening of fa

You build the same ****ing defense don't you?

How does having Manning change our needs at DT? He going to play both sides? How about MLB? CB? S? Are we just going to roll with a breaking down McGahee next year because we have Manning throwing the ball or do we want to get real RB depth?

All of this can be done regardless of what Manning decides and we could still have enough money left over to bring in Clark and Saturday. Wayne and Garcon are already signed so we aren't bringing all the gang along with him. Two tops, and two who can't demand top dollar salaries.

WolfpackGuy
03-14-2012, 09:34 AM
They ought to just assume they're gonna pay Manning $90M/4 years and work with what's left over.

Unless they're going dumpster diving again...

srphoenix
03-14-2012, 09:58 AM
@JasonColeYahoo: DT Paul Soliai looking at either a 5-year or 2-year deal with Broncos. Debating the options.

He'd allow for a UT to come in and dominate rather quickly, it would be nice to have him and ty warren anchoring the line for the year

SoDak Bronco
03-14-2012, 09:59 AM
Per Jason Cole-Yahoo -DT Paul Soliali looking at either a 5 or 2 year deal with the Broncos!!! debating options

Butterscotch Stallion
03-14-2012, 09:59 AM
this has potential to be the worst offseason ever. mortgaging future....overpaying, waiting in FA.....the recipe is there. hopefully it doesnt happen.

kane0730
03-14-2012, 10:00 AM
Per Jason Cole-Yahoo -DT Paul Soliali looking at either a 5 or 2 year deal with the Broncos!!! debating options

Sounds promising. Get it done.

SoDak Bronco
Nice . you just beat me to it. That would be a huge get if we can sign him. Peyton, this defense is looking better and better!! come on now.

Chris
http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/6600000/ace-ace-ventura-6606314-506-350.gif

ColoradoDarin
03-14-2012, 10:03 AM

Sign Soliali and draft Still.

HILife
03-14-2012, 10:09 AM

You can never have to many fatties on the field......Unless they're passing, then we're F'ed.

HooptyHoops
03-14-2012, 10:14 AM
You can never have to many fatties on the field......Unless they're passing, then we're F'ed.

LOL

HooptyHoops
03-14-2012, 10:16 AM
Does this guy require a double-team? The kid was franchised last year....this has to be an upgrade over Bunkley, is it not?

Beantown Bronco
03-14-2012, 10:16 AM
, it would be nice to have him and ty warren anchoring the line for the year

Thanks for the laugh.

DENVERDUI55
03-14-2012, 10:17 AM
Paul S is from Utah and Denver puts him closer to his family and polys put big emphasis on family. That could be a deciding factor too.

Dedhed
03-14-2012, 10:21 AM
Does this guy require a double-team? The kid was franchised last year....this has to be an upgrade over Bunkley, is it not?
It depends on the system, but I would generally speaking consider Soliai an upgrade over Bunk.

oubronco
03-14-2012, 10:29 AM

Or Worthy

Lycan
03-14-2012, 10:33 AM
I would love the Soliali signing. Can never overstate the value of a good space-eating NT.

I would also bring back Bunkley, stick them in the middle to eat up blockers and leave VonDoom to wreak their havoc.

ghwk
03-14-2012, 10:34 AM
We gotta get this one done at least.

Gcver2ver3
03-14-2012, 10:47 AM
i hope this addition isn't exclusive to not adding Bunkley..

get both please...

BroncoBen
03-14-2012, 10:48 AM

Bunkley started off slow for the Broncos last season, but brought it on towards the end.
And if the Dolphins put the franchise on Soltiai last year that could be a good sign ?

TonyR
03-14-2012, 10:48 AM
i hope this addition isn't exclusive to not adding Bunkley..

get both please...

Everything I've read suggests it's one or the other. Hope they're wrong.

Gcver2ver3
03-14-2012, 11:02 AM
Everything I've read suggests it's one or the other. Hope they're wrong.

yea i read that too...

they depending on warren that much?...

pricejj
03-14-2012, 11:04 AM

Yes it is an upgrade over Bunkley. Soliai is 355 lbs., played in Nolan's Hybrid 3-4 last year, and was a solid run-stuffer.

Bunkley doesn't command double teams. Soliai does.

I'm down for it, even if it costs $8M per year.

pricejj
03-14-2012, 11:10 AM
yea i read that too...

they depending on warren that much?...

NT: Soliai (2 down player), Thomas?, Unrein, Garland
UT: Warren, Vickerson, McBean

Keep in mind, we still have DT options in the draft (not that we would need one).

Beantown Bronco
03-14-2012, 11:18 AM
NT: Soliai (2 down player), Thomas?, Unrein, Garland
UT: Warren, Vickerson, McBean

Keep in mind, we still have DT options in the draft (not that we would need one).

Except that none of those guys are under contract, except the two camp bodies and McBean....who's suspended. (Warren will hopefully be cut in the near future.)

HILife
03-14-2012, 11:20 AM
Yes it is an upgrade over Bunkley. Soliai is 355 lbs., played in Nolan's Hybrid 3-4 last year, and was a solid run-stuffer.

Bunkley doesn't command double teams. Soliai does.

I'm down for it, even if it costs $8M per year.

I see you made a nice little 180 there.

How many underperforming NT's do the Broncos need?

The guy had 27 tackles and 0 sacks last year. I guess he's the back up plan if we can't resign Bunkley?

Not only that, he had a cap hit of $12M last year? LOLOLOLOL

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=3514741&postcount=83

oubronco
03-14-2012, 11:23 AM
LOL

Traveler
03-14-2012, 11:26 AM

OUCH! Hammer, don't hurt em!

pricejj
03-14-2012, 11:30 AM

Well, he is the backup plan to Bunkley, and will cost a lot (3rd highest paid player on the team). It would be a mistake to sign him for the same amount of scratch as Haloti Ngata. If he truly requires a double-team, and we can't sign Bunkley, then you have to sign someone. I wouldn't trust Marcus Thomas to start at NT.

Hopefully he would make a significantly bigger impact than Bunkley...but it remains to be seen.

Since the Broncos aren't signing anyone else, why not spend the money?

ScottXray
03-14-2012, 11:31 AM
Per PFT.

Finally...SOMETHING good.

Wait for manning? pissing away the FA's

TonyR
03-14-2012, 11:36 AM
Why do our FA targets always have to "think about it" rather than just signing the damn contract!!! Do they not like the type of pizza Xanders provides during the visit?!?

pricejj
03-14-2012, 11:47 AM
Except that none of those guys are under contract, except the two camp bodies and McBean....who's suspended. (Warren will hopefully be cut in the near future.)

If the Broncos are going to cut Warren, don't you think they would have done it already? Why would you leave a guy on past the start of free agency, damaging his ability to sign with another team?

UT1 - Ty Warren - $5.25M
UT2 - Kevin Vickerson - $2.88M
UT3 - Ryan McBean - $1.26M

NT1 - Soliai/Bunkley
NT2 - Thomas?/Unrein? (need to sign a backup NT)
NT3 - Ben Garland

PLUS the draft....

The Broncos are pretty much set at the UT position. Cutting any of these guys would require a cap hit. McBean should be able to get his suspension significantly reduced or thrown out. I don't see them making any moves at UT unless it's in the draft, and honestly SS, MLB, WR, CB, RB, FB, and probably even upgrades at OG, C, and RT are more pressing.

A guy like Still, or Worthy is NOT a significant upgrade over Warren/Vickerson/McBean.

kappys
03-14-2012, 11:49 AM
I suppose it is possible to sign both Solai and Bunkley though it would be unlikely. Given the passing nature of the league the team probably looks to continue with a 4-3 under and look for pass rush from the UT spot. I think Ayers is a dark horse to move to UT this season - esp if he gains a little weight. He had several good pressures and some sacks from the UT spot last season and is strong enough to hold up - at least in a rotation I think.

That said I could see classic 4-3 with two primarily 2-gap DT's clogging up the middle and an increased use of A gap blitzing to compensate for pass rush might still be effective. Fox could be crazy enough to try.

Beantown Bronco
03-14-2012, 11:55 AM
If the Broncos are going to cut Warren, don't you think they would have done it already? Why would you leave a guy on past the start of free agency, damaging his ability to sign with another team?

There are PLENTY of reasons not to. 90% of the players that are cut in the NFL are cut after March 13th. This isn't odd by any means. Especially considering the McBean suspension and Vickerson coming off a season ending injury. We literally have nothing at UT in my opinion.

The Broncos are pretty much set at the UT position. Cutting any of these guys would require a cap hit.

1. Set? Set up with the worst group in the NFL.....as usual IMO.
2. Cap hit? More like cap savings.

pricejj
03-14-2012, 11:57 AM
Bunkley WILL NOT agree to backup NT money (<$3M per year) unless he absolutely HAS to. Broncos WILL NOT pay Bunkley starter NT money (>$3M per year) to backup Soliai.

pricejj
03-14-2012, 12:01 PM
There are PLENTY of reasons not to. 90% of the players that are cut in the NFL are cut after March 13th. This isn't odd by any means. Especially considering the McBean suspension and Vickerson coming off a season ending injury. We literally have nothing at UT in my opinion.

1. Set? Set up with the worst group in the NFL.....as usual IMO.
2. Cap hit? More like cap savings.

I think the Broncos view Warren as an elite guy, if he can get on the field. He should be healed up from his pectoral injury. I think the Broncos would have cut him by now, if they were going to. Maybe they cut him after the draft, if we go DT in the 1st round. In that case:

UT1 - Kevin Vickerson
UT2 - 1st round pick
UT3 - Ryan McBean

ColoradoBuff
03-14-2012, 12:03 PM
fock Ryan McBean....dude sucks.

oubronco
03-14-2012, 12:10 PM
Jason Jones | DE Previous Team: Tennessee Exp: 4 years

Analysis: Jones has visits scheduled with the Rams and Seahawks (http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/03/13/jason-jones-will-visit-rams-seahawks/), league sources told NFL Network's Jason La Canfora. In four seasons, Jones has seven forced fumbles and 15.5 sacks.

They should be bringing this guy in

Beantown Bronco
03-14-2012, 12:13 PM
I think the Broncos view Warren as an elite guy, if he can get on the field.

C'mon now. He hasn't been fully healthy and effective since 2006 and he wasn't even truly elite then. Good? Yes. ProBowl? Nope. Elite? Not even close.

pricejj
03-14-2012, 12:25 PM
C'mon now. He hasn't been fully healthy and effective since 2006 and he wasn't even truly elite then. Good? Yes. ProBowl? Nope. Elite? Not even close.

I don't think I meant to say elite. I meant to say, a solid starter who has made the Pro Bowl (2007) in the past, and who could possibly be an Pro Bowler again in a 4-3.

He had the most potential of any UT on the roster when we signed him last year, and nothing has changed.

TonyR
03-14-2012, 12:36 PM

They should be bringing a lot of people in but they're too busy with this Peyton Manning debacle. They'll feel as stupid as they look when he signs with the Titans. ****ing Bud Adams.

Beantown Bronco
03-14-2012, 12:36 PM
I don't think I meant to say elite. I meant to say, a solid starter who has made the Pro Bowl (2007) in the past, and who could possibly be an Pro Bowler again in a 4-3.

he must've been a third alternate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Pro_Bowl#Defense

The guy's done. 31 years old with 4 straight years of significant injuries.

eddie mac
03-14-2012, 12:40 PM
Jason Jones | DE Previous Team: Tennessee Exp: 4 years

Analysis: Jones has visits scheduled with the Rams and Seahawks (http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/03/13/jason-jones-will-visit-rams-seahawks/), league sources told NFL Network's Jason La Canfora. In four seasons, Jones has seven forced fumbles and 15.5 sacks.

Injury issues and has dropped to 245 lbs apparently, hence the Rams didn't sign him right away, indepth physical required.

Drek
03-14-2012, 12:53 PM
I think the Broncos view Warren as an elite guy, if he can get on the field. He should be healed up from his pectoral injury. I think the Broncos would have cut him by now, if they were going to. Maybe they cut him after the draft, if we go DT in the 1st round. In that case:

UT1 - Kevin Vickerson
UT2 - 1st round pick
UT3 - Ryan McBean

Warren gets cut if they can remove the potential need to have him. That means adding a better #2 DT option. That might be Bunkley if he takes reasonable money. That might be a draftee. Right now there is no need to cut him, cutting him takes that option off the table, and so until camps open up and they can evaluate his health they'll play his contract close to the vest.

oubronco
03-14-2012, 01:04 PM
Injury issues and has dropped to 245 lbs apparently, hence the Rams didn't sign him right away, indepth physical required.

Woah then scratch that

Dedhed
03-14-2012, 01:06 PM
The Broncos are pretty much set at the UT position.

Lulz!

HooptyHoops
03-14-2012, 01:54 PM
So, no info on Soliai signing....we are in big trouble at the DT position and the FO is acting like this is no big deal!!

TonyR
03-14-2012, 01:55 PM
...we are in big trouble at the DT position and the FO is acting like this is no big deal!!

Deja vu. All over again!

Rolandftw
03-14-2012, 01:56 PM
So, no info on Soliai signing....we are in big trouble at the DT position and the FO is acting like this is no big deal!!

Uh, when has this not been the case?

Butterscotch Stallion
03-14-2012, 01:58 PM
Uh, when has this not been the case?

Ignoring positions of need in order to chase broken down vets is the Denver Broncos way. That's how we were so good for the last 13 years.

cutthemdown
03-14-2012, 02:01 PM
Funny how people are complaining FO is ****ing up while talking about Bunkley and Solia. Why? because last yr most of you thought trading for Bunk was a bunch of funk! Just sit back and watch, trying to get all worked up over every report is a joke. Don't you people learn anything by sticking your finger in a fan?

pricejj
03-14-2012, 02:04 PM
Lulz!

Not in a good way...but they have all their guys on the roster...unlike about 9 other positions.

maher_tyler
03-14-2012, 02:07 PM
If we don't at least bring Bunkley back, I fully expect our run D to be in the bottom 5 of the league once again. I'm sure we'll draft a DT in round 1 but how much of an impact can a rookie make? Not everyone coming out is a beast like Suh was. If we stand by not filling gapping holes in the roster, its going to be a long season!

bendog
03-14-2012, 02:08 PM
http://roadto90.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/chicken-little1.jpg

Hulamau
03-14-2012, 02:42 PM

Leverage my friend, They can likely get better players to sign more easily and possibly for a bit less green who want to come win a SB with Manning here. Could be too that it is Soliai's team that wants to wait and see if he's going to be on a mostly defensive team here, or if its one that can win from both sides of the ball consistently and allow the D to play with a lead??

That might well have a bearing on who wants to come here this year!

ol#7
03-14-2012, 02:47 PM
Leverage my friend, They can likely get better players to sign more easily and possibly for a bit less green who want to come win a SB with Manning here. Could be too that it is Soliai's team that wants to wait and see if he's going to be on a mostly defensive team here, or if its one that can win from both sides of the ball consistently and allow the D to play with a lead??

That might well have a bearing on who wants to come here this year!

And if Manning signs with Tenn, there goes your leverage. They could at least be bluffing these guys as long as the possibility exists. I know Elway plays poker, WTF havent they thought of this?

srphoenix
03-14-2012, 03:14 PM
not good news...

MileHighReport
RT @kimbokamper: Paul Soliei about to resign with the Dolphins

srphoenix
03-14-2012, 03:15 PM
more

Jeff Darlington ‏
Source confirms that NT Paul Soliai is indeed on the brink of re-signing with the Dolphins. He's upstairs at the facility right now.

DBroncos4life
03-14-2012, 03:16 PM
not good news...

MileHighReport

Just another case of a player using Elway and Xanders.

barryr
03-14-2012, 03:16 PM
Better get on the phone to Bunkley again.

yerner
03-14-2012, 03:19 PM
not good news...

MileHighReport

Damn. I guess the Broncos won't play football next year. This reminds me of the Coefield and Mebane tragedy of 2011.

BroncoInferno
03-14-2012, 03:20 PM
more

Jeff Darlington ‏
Source confirms that NT Paul Soliai is indeed on the brink of re-signing with the Dolphins. He's upstairs at the facility right now.

Wonderful. They better resign Bunkley. If they don't, no one available in FA would be anything other than a downgrade.

eddie mac
03-14-2012, 03:20 PM
So Klis was right afterall. Denver fails again. Beyond ****ing useless.

TheReverend
03-14-2012, 03:28 PM

I swear, it's like they've actively been TRYING to **** up since getting hired.

Shoemaker
03-14-2012, 03:36 PM

They had him scheduled to come and visit tomorrow. He decided to sign with Miami today instead, which absolutely nobody was expecting.

I'm just not too sure what you wanted to FO to do in this case. Fly out to Miami the minute they heard that Soliai was negotiating with Miami and barge into the meeting in a bigger contract?

zdoor
03-14-2012, 03:39 PM
Shocking....

bronco militia
03-14-2012, 03:40 PM

klis was finally right about something.

anyway, I can't remember the last time the broncos were big spenders in free agency.

eddie mac
03-14-2012, 03:43 PM
They had him scheduled to come and visit tomorrow. He decided to sign with Miami today instead, which absolutely nobody was expecting.

I'm just not too sure what you wanted to FO to do in this case. Fly out to Miami the minute they heard that Soliai was negotiating with Miami and barge into the meeting in a bigger contract?

Offer his market value because just like last season they haven't done that bar Manning.

They delayed and lost, they put all their eggs in No18's basket. If that doesn't work out for them then they've pissed away an opportunity to make at least one unit stronger with a $50m unused warchest.

eddie mac
03-14-2012, 03:43 PM
klis was finally right about something.

anyway, I can't remember the last time the broncos were big spenders in free agency.

When have they ever had $50m in caproom???

Shoemaker
03-14-2012, 03:45 PM
I swear, it's like they've actively been TRYING to **** up since getting hired.

Oh, come on.

Willis McGahee was one of the best free agent signings in the entire NFL last year.

Broderick Bunkley was a fantastic acquisition at a very low cost.

Von Miller and Quinton Carter were excellent draft picks who excelled as rookies. Orlando Franklin, Nate Irving, and Julius Thomas are picks from the same draft with a lot of potential.

Chris Harris was an absolute steal as an undrafted free agent.

Obviously the front office has made some bad decisions (trading Gaffney, starting Orton to begin last year), but to say they've been "trying to **** up since getting hired" is a complete overreaction to their Plan-B free agent at NT turning down two of their contract offers to re-sign with a team that nobody expected him to return to.

If the FO has "been trying to **** up since getting hired," they're pretty incompetent at being ****-ups, I suppose.

TheReverend
03-14-2012, 03:47 PM
Oh, come on.

Willis McGahee was one of the best free agent signings in the entire NFL last year.

Broderick Bunkley was a fantastic acquisition at a very low cost.

Von Miller and Quinton Carter were excellent draft picks who excelled as rookies. Orlando Franklin, Nate Irving, and Julius Thomas are picks from the same draft with a lot of potential.

Chris Harris was an absolute steal as an undrafted free agent.

Obviously the front office has made some bad decisions (trading Gaffney, starting Orton to begin last year), but to say they've been "trying to **** up since getting hired" is a complete overreaction to their Plan-B free agent at NT turning down two of their contract offers to re-sign with a team that nobody expected him to return to.

If the FO has "been trying to **** up since getting hired," they're pretty incompetent at being ****-ups, I suppose.

You're a ****ing retard.

bronco militia
03-14-2012, 03:49 PM
When have they ever had $50m in caproom???

the salary cap is an excuse...(see 2012 redskins/cowboys)

eddie mac
03-14-2012, 03:50 PM
the salary cap is an excuse...(see 2012 redskins/cowboys)

Certainly wont be an excuse in 2013. Bowlen will have nowhere to ****ing hide then.