PDA

View Full Version : Bears kings of NFC North?

canadianbroncosfan
03-13-2012, 09:24 PM
"The Green Bay Packers and Detroit Lions fielded offensive juggernauts a season ago, but the most explosive offense in the NFC North in 2012 will reside in Chicago."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82796081/article/qbrbwr-trio-provides-bears-with-potent-and-balanced-punch?module=HP11_cp

I agree that the Bears got a whole lot better at WR with the addition of Marshall. They also now have a useful back-up should anything happen to Cutler again. But I still think they're at best the #2 team in the NFC North.

In the end, Cutler and Marshall (today, not three years ago) aren't Rodgers and Jennings. And if you go down 2-4 (Williams, Knox, Hester v. Nelson, Jones, and Cobb) the Bears don't even come close.

I will give them the obvious edge in the running game.

houghtam
03-13-2012, 09:27 PM
"The Green Bay Packers and Detroit Lions fielded offensive juggernauts a season ago, but the most explosive offense in the NFC North in 2012 will reside in Chicago."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82796081/article/qbrbwr-trio-provides-bears-with-potent-and-balanced-punch?module=HP11_cp

I agree that the Bears got a whole lot better at WR with the addition of Marshall. They also now have a useful back-up should anything happen to Cutler again. But I still think they're at best the #2 team in the NFC North.

In the end, Cutler and Marshall (today, not three years ago) aren't Rodgers and Jennings. And if you go down 2-4 (Williams, Knox, Hester v. Nelson, Jones, and Cobb) the Bears don't even come close.

I will give them the obvious edge in the running game.

They aren't Stafford and Megatron, either. And when you add in Marshall's impending suspension, they might be the 3rd best combo next year.

canadianbroncosfan
03-13-2012, 09:29 PM
They aren't Stafford and Megatron, either. And when you add in Marshall's impending suspension, they might be the 3rd best combo next year.

Oh I completely agree, I was generous in saying #2 at best. They may have more depth than Detroit at WR.

spdirty
03-13-2012, 09:29 PM
They need Mario and O-line help before they can seriously contend in that brutal division.

barryr
03-13-2012, 09:31 PM
Apparently Mario Williams is visiting the Bills right now who have more money than the Bears to offer.

SoCalBronco
03-13-2012, 09:31 PM
The Bears are going to kick ass and take names.............if Marshall can stop being a knucklehead, which remains to be seen (there is the rumor of another incident, we'll see).

I think they'll focus on the OL in the draft (they got Carimi last year but I think he got hurt). I'm excited also to see Sanzenbacher as a 2nd year player. They have some good complimentary players for Marshall even at WR with him and also Bennett and ofcourse Hester as the deep threat. Reportedly Chicago is also hot on Mario Williams tail. Not sure how much cap room they have, but it looks like they are going all out to surround Jay with a good team so he doesn't get another lumbar strain from carrying them on his back, again. Good.

I hope the Broncos are this aggressive, they dont have to spend up to the limit, but there is such a huge gap between where they are and the limit, they could make several major splashes and still leave alot of room there. They sure havea ton of room. It doesnt have to be Manning, in fact I hope the money is used elsewhere. For that same 20m, you could get like 4 or 5 really good players at need positions, without as much risk in terms of the age and medical stuff.

canadianbroncosfan
03-13-2012, 09:38 PM
]Mario Williams is visiting the Bills right now who have more money than the Bears to offer.

houghtam
03-13-2012, 09:40 PM
The Bears are going to kick ass and take names.............if Marshall can stop being a knucklehead, which remains to be seen (there is the rumor of another incident, we'll see).

I think they'll focus on the OL in the draft (they got Carimi last year but I think he got hurt). I'm excited also to see Sanzenbacher as a 2nd year player. They have some good complimentary players for Marshall even at WR with him and also Bennett and ofcourse Hester as the deep threat. Reportedly Chicago is also hot on Mario Williams tail. Not sure how much cap room they have, but it looks like they are going all out to surround Jay with a good team so he doesn't get another lumbar strain from carrying them on his back, again. Good.

I hope the Broncos are this aggressive, they dont have to spend up to the limit, but there is such a huge gap between where they are and the limit, they could make several major splashes and still leave alot of room there. They sure havea ton of room. It doesnt have to be Manning, in fact I hope the money is used elsewhere. For that same 20m, you could get like 4 or 5 really good players at need positions, without as much risk in terms of the age and medical stuff.

Agree. I think if the FO put as much of a priority on getting Super Mario as they're reportedly putting on Manning, this defense immediately gains one of the most dangerous pass rushes in the NFL. We could then add FA pieces on offense, and spend BPA in the draft on a few key pieces and have an elite unit by the end of next season. By then we'll know if the Tebow experiment worked or not, and can get a solid QB next year if we need to, since if the Tebow experiment fails, I doubt we win 4 games next season. We get Barkley or Jones as QB next year with an already intact offense and an elite defense, and we contend for a Super Bowl the year after that. That's a 3 year plan that doesn't involve overspending for Manning, putting us in a bad position to draft a QB if the Tebow thing fails, AND getting a top 5 defense in the process.

BroncoMan4ever
03-13-2012, 09:43 PM
Oh I completely agree, I was generous in saying #2 at best. They may have more depth than Detroit at WR.

you need to factor in Detroit's use of the TE position though when you consider pass catching weapons.

Marshall or not, Cutler remains the #3 QB in that division, and that is the #3 tandem in that divison. Green Bay and Detroit remain the dominant teams of the NFC North

SoCalBronco
03-13-2012, 09:48 PM
Agree. I think if the FO put as much of a priority on getting Super Mario as they're reportedly putting on Manning, this defense immediately gains one of the most dangerous pass rushes in the NFL. We could then add FA pieces on offense, and spend BPA in the draft on a few key pieces and have an elite unit by the end of next season. By then we'll know if the Tebow experiment worked or not, and can get a solid QB next year if we need to, since if the Tebow experiment fails, I doubt we win 4 games next season. We get Barkley or Jones as QB next year with an already intact offense and an elite defense, and we contend for a Super Bowl the year after that. That's a 3 year plan that doesn't involve overspending for Manning, putting us in a bad position to draft a QB if the Tebow thing fails, AND getting a top 5 defense in the process.

I dont think we should overspend for Mario. I'm ok with allowing Ayers another year to develop. He'll never get like 10 sacks, but he's a good run stuffer, who has a knack for timely plays, at least this year he had that in spurts. Mayock also said it would take a few years for him to bust out. I would like to get a prime DT (esp if Bunkley goes) and maybe some quality DE depth. I would like to get a big time MLB, maybe Connor for Rev. Given DJ's suspension, we may need WLB also as if it gets upheld, the team will likely cut him (makes me really sad, thats my favorite player along with Cutler but it is what it is, you gotta be smart with drinking and smoking and stuff, i hope he wins the appeal though as I believe him until I see otherwise..still its highly likely he will lose) but we can address that in the draft with Spence. I really want DEN to draft Spence. He's like 228, but that's dropping wet with huge massive rocks in his pockets, he's really 220, but he is so ****ing fast and super instinctive and a badass. I want Spence in Round 2. I have my heart set on it, esp if DEN has to drop DJ. We will need a big time cornerback, thats where FA comes in. Rogers and Finnegan got alot of money, but we gotta get someone decent, plus draft another one fairly high. We need to get a big time FA safety also, not Merriweather he hasnt done **** forever. We also need a big bad lineman, maybe Nicks. Between Nicks and Kuper, we've got some badass guards. I would also like to sign Winston (homer), if we did that instead, we could move Franklin to LG where he would be better as he is a road grader first, pass defender second (or maybe third or fourth). Get one more stud WR target for the QB. I want three viable WRs. May need TE as well, depending on what they think of the kids. Also another good back. There are alot of needs. Seriously we dont have to spend all 45M or whatever it is, we can address all these things with like 20-25M plus drafting some guys.

canadianbroncosfan
03-13-2012, 09:49 PM
you need to factor in Detroit's use of the TE position though when you consider pass catching weapons.

Marshall or not, Cutler remains the #3 QB in that division, and that is the #3 tandem in that divison. Green Bay and Detroit remain the dominant teams of the NFC North

This is very true

houghtam
03-13-2012, 09:55 PM
I dont think we should overspend for Mario. I'm ok with allowing Ayers another year to develop. He'll never get like 10 sacks, but he's a good run stuffer, who has a knack for timely plays, at least this year he had that in spurts. Mayock also said it would take a few years for him to bust out. I would like to get a prime DT (esp if Bunkley goes) and maybe some quality DE depth. I would like to get a big time MLB, maybe Connor for Rev. Given DJ's suspension, we may need WLB also as if it gets upheld, the team will likely cut him (makes me really sad, thats my favorite player along with Cutler but it is what it is, you gotta be smart with drinking and smoking and stuff, i hope he wins the appeal though as I believe him until I see otherwise..still its highly likely he will lose) but we can address that in the draft with Spence. I really want DEN to draft Spence. He's like 228, but that's dropping wet with huge massive rocks in his pockets, he's really 220, but he is so ****ing fast and super instinctive and a badass. I want Spence in Round 2. I have my heart set on it, esp if DEN has to drop DJ. We will need a big time cornerback, thats where FA comes in. Rogers and Finnegan got alot of money, but we gotta get someone decent, plus draft another one fairly high. We need to get a big time FA safety also, not Merriweather he hasnt done **** forever. We also need a big bad lineman, maybe Nicks. Between Nicks and Kuper, we've got some badass guards. I would also like to sign Winston (homer), if we did that instead, we could move Franklin to LG where he would be better as he is a road grader first, pass defender second (or maybe third or fourth). Get one more stud WR target for the QB. I want three viable WRs. May need TE as well, depending on what they think of the kids. Also another good back. There are alot of needs. Seriously we dont have to spend all 45M or whatever it is, we can address all these things with like 20-25M plus drafting some guys.

I think overpaying for Mario makes more sense than overpaying for Manning, I guess is what I'm trying to say. When you have so much cap space and so many holes, it may end up you have to overpay for something just to get the hole filled.

Don't forget Irving...I don't think he can be counted out yet for MLB. I think if we kept Bunkley, and rotated Ayers, Mario and Doom at the two DE spots (or as some have suggested, move Ayers inside). That way we still can draft WLB and address the defensive backfield in the next two drafts.

WRs we will need to find one, but may have to leave that until next year, depending on what BPA is actually there when we pick. I definitely think we need to move from the offensive and defensive lines backward when filling our holes where possible.

SoCalBronco
03-13-2012, 09:55 PM

Marshall or not, Cutler remains the #3 QB in that division, and that is the #3 tandem in that divison. Green

Go Tony!

Man, all this talk of Jay and Tony and BMarsh again is making me depressed that we dont have them anymore. I have like a GAF of like 7 (well maybe not 7, you'd be dead at 7, maybe like 20) because of this ****..... that's for the psychologists on this board. :)

BTW, I disagree with you. Jay is clearly QB #2 in the division at worst. If he didnt get hurt they might have been in the SB. He ****ing carried that team. Stafford has a TON of help, including the GOAT at WR outside of Rice and maybe one or two other guys. Stafford is good, but his surroundings overpump his stats. Jay has **** to work with until now. There's no way in hell Stafford has more physical gifts than Jay.

cousinal11
03-13-2012, 09:56 PM
The Packers may be the best team in the NFL in 2012 so no, the bears are not the best team in the NFC North & may not be the 2nd best team in their division.

cousinal11
03-13-2012, 09:58 PM
Go Tony!

Man, all this talk of Jay and Tony and BMarsh again is making me depressed that we dont have them anymore. I have like a GAF of like 7 (well maybe not 7, you'd be dead at 7, maybe like 20) because of this ****..... that's for the psychologists on this board. :)

BTW, I disagree with you. Jay is clearly QB #2 in the division at worst. If he didnt get hurt they might have been in the SB. He ****ing carried that team. Stafford has a TON of help, including the GOAT at WR outside of Rice and maybe one or two other guys. Stafford is good, but his surroundings overpump his stats. Jay has **** to work with until now. There's no way in hell Stafford has more physical gifts than Jay.

While I agree jay was pretty impressive last year and may have more physical gifts than stafford, it's what is above the shoulders that always worried me about cutler.

BroncoBeavis
03-13-2012, 10:00 PM
That is going to be one ugly division.

canadianbroncosfan
03-13-2012, 10:01 PM
That is going to be one ugly division.

And we don't have to play them any of the next three seasons.

cousinal11
03-13-2012, 10:02 PM
And we don't have to play them any of the next three seasons.

Well that's good news.

BroncoMan4ever
03-14-2012, 01:05 AM
Go Tony!

i am still not missing those guys too much. Cutler is still Cutler. Nothing special, athletic talent out the ass combined with a lame brain and **** attitude.

Marshall was and continues to be a head case.

Scheff if the one i miss most, but when we truly think about it, how often was he truly a focal point in the passing game for us. he would have 1 good game with a bunch of catches and then was missing from the game plan for the next 3 weeks.

Stafford and Cutler are extremely similar when it comes to athletic ability. Cutler may have a little stronger arm, but overall they play a very similar style and have almost identical strengths. but where Cutler has a Jeff George brain, Stafford has the mind of a damn good NFL QB. he is a better leader.

if you gave every team in the league an option of Stafford or Cutler leading your franchise for the next decade, i would wager almost all would take Stafford.

and it isn't exactly like the cupboard was bare for Cutler. Forte is one of the best offensive weapons in the game. and as much as i like Megatron it is was too early to be putting him in the same class as some of the greatest ever. he is elite, but there are those who will say that Fitzgerald or Andre Johnson are the best in the game right now.

Dr. Broncenstein
03-14-2012, 01:08 AM
The dreams of Bears fans rest on the hope that a serial woman beater can somehow manage to stop punching women in the face. Bear down

cutthemdown
03-14-2012, 02:02 AM
Marshall in trouble again. He could get suspended never know. Sounds like he hit a woman at a bar in NY. He's a turd and I doubt will ever be someone who helps win a Superbowl.

cutthemdown
03-14-2012, 02:10 AM
i am still not missing those guys too much. Cutler is still Cutler. Nothing special, athletic talent out the ass combined with a lame brain and **** attitude.

Scheff if the one i miss most, but when we truly think about it, how often was he truly a focal point in the passing game for us. he would have 1 good game with a bunch of catches and then was missing from the game plan for the next 3 weeks.

Stafford and Cutler are extremely similar when it comes to athletic ability. Cutler may have a little stronger arm, but overall they play a very similar style and have almost identical strengths. but where Cutler has a Jeff George brain, Stafford has the mind of a damn good NFL QB. he is a better leader.

if you gave every team in the league an option of Stafford or Cutler leading your franchise for the next decade, i would wager almost all would take Stafford.

and it isn't exactly like the cupboard was bare for Cutler. Forte is one of the best offensive weapons in the game. and as much as i like Megatron it is was too early to be putting him in the same class as some of the greatest ever. he is elite, but there are those who will say that Fitzgerald or Andre Johnson are the best in the game right now.

No Megatron one of the best ever. Its just that he gets doubled ever play just like Fitz. Both those guys total and complete studs. You couldnt ask for better WR. But Fitz makes the more incredible catches. Megatron a combo of size speed with eddie mac type route running skills. He said in an article his muscle memory really good. Once he feels 16 1/2 yrds then cut in 4 yrds, then go deep etc etc he can do it like that over and over.

Andre Johnson IMO would be number 3 out of those guys but really all of them could end up in the HOF.

Bronco Yoda
03-14-2012, 02:49 AM
It's going to be real interesting to see Cutty-Marsh 2.0.

Drek
03-14-2012, 04:38 AM
Go Tony!
You mean the guy who caught 26 passes for less than 400 yards last season?

When he mentioned them using the TE a lot I figured he was referring to their first string TE, that former first round guy who not only caught 83 passes for 777 yards but is also a complete player (i.e. quality blocker).

Dude, Stafford has been over a 90 QB rating the last two years, his second and third in the league. In those two years he's played in 19 games and has thrown for as many yards as Cutler has over the past two years in 25 games. He threw 25 touchdowns last season to non-Calvin Johnson WRs, Cutler's total number of TDs has only passed that once, back in '09 when he threw 26 picks to match.

Also, where is Stafford's Matt Forte? Jahvid Best is a quality speedster but he was out 2/3rds of last season and he's no Matt Forte. Where is a special teams ace like Hester to tee up short drives for them? Don't have one.

Stafford is also 4 years young than Cutler and at this point in his career having Johnson he has been far more dominant than Cutler was having all the players you view as a dream team.

Not even close man. Stafford is on the verge of becoming an elite QB. Cutler hasn't come close to that yet.

Broncbow
03-14-2012, 04:58 AM
Agree. I think if the FO put as much of a priority on getting Super Mario as they're reportedly putting on Manning, this defense immediately gains one of the most dangerous pass rushes in the NFL.

John Elway keeps proving time and time again that he is out of his god damn mind/

Willynowei
03-14-2012, 12:44 PM

Stafford is ****. The only reason he looks half decent is because he chucks it up at Calvin Johnson at every critical moment in the game, and no matter how ****ty the pass - its a touchdown or 3rd down completion.

I watch detroit at least 2 times a year here in Chicago, that kid is entirely the product of his widereceiver, he reminds me of Culpepper playing w/ Moss back in the day.

Willynowei
03-14-2012, 12:48 PM
You mean the guy who caught 26 passes for less than 400 yards last season?

When he mentioned them using the TE a lot I figured he was referring to their first string TE, that former first round guy who not only caught 83 passes for 777 yards but is also a complete player (i.e. quality blocker).

Dude, Stafford has been over a 90 QB rating the last two years, his second and third in the league. In those two years he's played in 19 games and has thrown for as many yards as Cutler has over the past two years in 25 games. He threw 25 touchdowns last season to non-Calvin Johnson WRs, Cutler's total number of TDs has only passed that once, back in '09 when he threw 26 picks to match.

Also, where is Stafford's Matt Forte? Jahvid Best is a quality speedster but he was out 2/3rds of last season and he's no Matt Forte. Where is a special teams ace like Hester to tee up short drives for them? Don't have one.

Stafford is also 4 years young than Cutler and at this point in his career having Johnson he has been far more dominant than Cutler was having all the players you view as a dream team.

Not even close man. Stafford is on the verge of becoming an elite QB. Cutler hasn't come close to that yet.

Wrong.

That offense is entirely the product of Calvin Johnson. If you have a security blanket like that, you take less risks and the other receivers are sitting wide open in 1-1 situations.

Stafford enjoys better protection and way better help. He has less of a runningback but not less of a running game, they have much better run blocking than the bears do.

Jay Cutler is in a much tougher situation in Chicago, think about it this way, if Eddy Royal played in Chicago the last 2 years he would be by far their best, most talented, and most consistent receiving threat.

That's pathetic.