PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Royal now a Charger (3 years) Wes Welker 2.0???

Pages : 1 [2]

Black96WS6
03-15-2012, 01:27 PM
He just completed his physical. You donít do that unless youíre signing:

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/mar/15/royal-visit-chargers-park/

extralife
03-15-2012, 02:12 PM
Josh is a good reciever or rather he has the potential.

He had potential four years ago, too. He's a scrub.

briane
03-15-2012, 05:56 PM
Schefter just reported....Royal agreed to terms with chargers

DENVERDUI55
03-15-2012, 06:29 PM
Schefter just reported....Royal agreed to terms with chargers

Good riddance.

TonyR
03-15-2012, 06:43 PM
This signing makes sense for the Chargers and for Eddie. The Chargers employ a lot of seven-step drops and longer routes--somethig Royal excelled at in his rookie season using double moves. Although Eddie played nice and said the right things last year, we knew he wasn't going to stick around for Tebowmania, Chapter 2.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/manning-rumors-3-15-12-2

maven
03-15-2012, 06:48 PM
He will have a real QB throwing to him again. I'm sure Royal is happy.

Anikai
03-15-2012, 07:22 PM
Ehh this one really hurts
waiting for Manning is like waiting for a really hot girl call you, while Eddie is like the girl you always had but never really fell in love with...now she's with the doushy guy in ed hardy shirt and neck tattoos.

Boltjolt
03-15-2012, 07:45 PM
Long term QBs NOT named John Elway who had 50% or less completion % in their first year (or two):

Vinny Testaverde
Bernie Kosar
Boomer Esiason
Phil Simms
Randall Cunningham

Let's try this again. We're not saying Tim Tebow is John Elway. We're saying that first year completion percentage is not necessarily an indicator of future success. I'd be willing to bet that first year completion percentage has much less effect on future success than building a team around the strengths of the quarterback does.

Hows about getting into the modern era. Every guy on that list played when the CB could actually touch the WR's. In an era where you can t do that now and a 28 year old yardage record fell and a 3rd came close to breaking it, one QB completed over 70 % of his passes and 18 starters had over 60%....some well over that....including Cam Newton at 60% and 4,000 yards .....................Tebow completed 46% of his passes.

Boltjolt
03-15-2012, 07:48 PM
BTW...the Eddie Royal deal was for 3 years, 13.5 mil...6 guaranteed.

Im skeptical of the signing but he did do well with Cutler so we'll see. He will be a nice addition to the return game.

Why the interest in a guy you say is a #4 WR? Well your right, he will probably be the #4 unless he can beat out Vincent Brown for the #3 but Malcolm Floyd always misses 4 to 8 games a year so we wanted speed and a guy who can step up WHEN Floyd gets hurt. Now w/ Royal and Meachem we have a lot speed at WR.

barryr
03-15-2012, 07:48 PM
Hows about getting into the modern era. Every guy on that list played when the CB could actually touch the WR's. In an era where you can t do that now and a 28 year old yardage record fell and a 3rd came close to breaking it, one QB completed over 70 % of his passes and 18 starters had over 60%....some well over that....including Cam Newton at 60% and 4,000 yards .....................Tebow completed 46% of his passes.

So teams weren't allowed to send their receivers in motion to help avoid jams? Teams did not run crossing patterns, thereby also including pick plays? Wow, there must have been some real imaginative offenses back then.

Boltjolt
03-15-2012, 07:52 PM
So teams weren't allowed to send their receivers in motion to help avoid jams? Teams did not run crossing patterns, thereby also including pick plays? Wow, there must have been some real imaginative offenses back then.

Apparently you didnt see any games back then.

If you guys think Elways wouldnt complete 60-65% of his passes today easy you are nuts. Tell you what, Tebow wouldnt complete 40% in his era.

barryr
03-15-2012, 07:58 PM

If you guys think Elways wouldnt complete 60-65% of his passes today easy you are nuts. Tell you what, Tebow wouldnt complete 40% in his era.

So no QB's back then completed 60% of their passes?

boltaneer
03-15-2012, 08:01 PM
I like this signing a lot. Major upgrade at KR/PR and nice depth at WR.

Dedhed
03-15-2012, 08:02 PM

Eddie Royal <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Vincent Jackson

So far, your team has gotten nothing but worse in FA.

400HZ
03-15-2012, 08:03 PM
I really like this move and I think the 4th WR talk is off the mark. I have a feeling that Royal will see lots of time on the field.

We have three big downfield receivers with Floyd, Meachem, and Brown. Having someone with a different skill set will be great. The Chargers tried last year with Walters and Creighton but they sucked. VJ had very little short game ability. That kind of left defenses free to mob Gates in short yardage situations.

Plus our punt return game was atrocious.

Mogulseeker
03-15-2012, 08:04 PM
Eddie Royal to the Chargers is about as bad as that could have possibly have gone for us. I like the kid... he deserves better than Rivers.

Boltjolt
03-15-2012, 08:16 PM
So no QB's back then completed 60% of their passes?

I didnt say that. Some did but many did not and someone here said Elway in fact didnt complete 60% of his passes til his 10th year. I dont think that would happen if he played today.

Pretty shameful that in todays game a QB cant complete 50%

Boltjolt
03-15-2012, 08:24 PM
Eddie Royal <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Vincent Jackson

So far, your team has gotten nothing but worse in FA.

We lost VJ. Added two WR's one of which has a ton of potentual and will get a lot more chances here (Meachem). VJ wont do in Tampa what he did here and Royal wont have no 10.2 YPC here either like he did in Denver.

We also got a big time FB to replace Hester and added a good OLB. He isnt a great pass rusher by any means but he brings good run defense some better coverage on first and and second downs and we are going to add another RB.
Talking to Tolbert right now. Hoping to get Michael Bush but doubt that happens. We also resigned Gaither at LT who was nothing but outstanding when he was here last season. Better than McNeill has been.

I dont think we got worse at all. Not normally players in FA'cy but what this is doing is allowing AJ to go pretty much all defense in the draft for the new DC....... except for maybe a OG early and possibly a TE early.

Denver Crush
03-15-2012, 08:33 PM
I was gonna be happy for him when he supposedly signed with Shanny...now I hope he fails. Sorry.

Requiem
03-15-2012, 08:34 PM
yeah **** eddie he's a loser

Rohirrim
03-15-2012, 08:37 PM
Too bad. I guess Eddie will have to relearn how to run timing routes again. He'll probably have an explosive year.

Mogulseeker
03-15-2012, 08:40 PM
yeah **** eddie he's a loser

Well I did just unfriend him on facebook....

Nah, I didn't really, lol.

Old Dude
03-15-2012, 08:46 PM
Eddie's a great return guy and might be a good receiver. God help you if you need him to block anyone though.

cutthemdown
03-15-2012, 08:52 PM
I like this signing a lot. Major upgrade at KR/PR and nice depth at WR.

Seriously though losing Jackson and adding Royal is a step back in terms of talent. A real step back.

Hard to think your WR get better losing Jackson and adding Royal and Meachum. Do you think those 2 players offset Jackson? Does your offense get better?

cutthemdown
03-15-2012, 08:54 PM
We lost VJ. Added two WR's one of which has a ton of potentual and will get a lot more chances here (Meachem). VJ wont do in Tampa what he did here and Royal wont have no 10.2 YPC here either like he did in Denver.

We also got a big time FB to replace Hester and added a good OLB. He isnt a great pass rusher by any means but he brings good run defense some better coverage on first and and second downs and we are going to add another RB.
Talking to Tolbert right now. Hoping to get Michael Bush but doubt that happens. We also resigned Gaither at LT who was nothing but outstanding when he was here last season. Better than McNeill has been.

I dont think we got worse at all. Not normally players in FA'cy but what this is doing is allowing AJ to go pretty much all defense in the draft for the new DC....... except for maybe a OG early and possibly a TE early.

Meachum a good player but just not physical like Jackson was. Just not so sure you can spin losing a player like Jackson. He is so good downfield and in the redzone. The redzone never a place Meachum and Royal have really thrived.

Rohirrim
03-15-2012, 08:55 PM
Meachem and Royal can both go hot and cold. Too bad if they both go cold at the same time. ;D

400HZ
03-15-2012, 08:55 PM
Seriously though losing Jackson and adding Royal is a step back in terms of talent. A real step back.

Hard to think your WR get better losing Jackson and adding Royal and Meachum. Do you think those 2 players offset Jackson? Does your offense get better?

I would say less overall talent but better depth and more flexibility.

cutthemdown
03-15-2012, 09:04 PM

I would hate to lose a player of Jackson caliber. Its a lot like us shipping Lloyd and Marshall out. Sure they had baggage but they really were tough to cover.

Another thing that worries me about Royal is it just seems like every yr he gets a little banged up, then becomes worthless. Last yr when we were including him in the option, into the backfield, it was really adding another facet to it. But then he tweaked a hammy or groin or something and once again vanished.

Meachum though is a good pickup. He could be better then people think because NO has so many WR. Or he could just be avg and it was only a great QB and a stacked offense that helped him. So I would say on that player you will have to wait and see. Still none of them give you flexibility in the redzone IMO. Not sure how you see them being more flexible them a guy like Jackson who commands a double team. Not to mention just his physical presence in the running game.

cutthemdown
03-15-2012, 09:05 PM
I could see Royal not even sticking in SD to tell you the truth.

cutthemdown
03-15-2012, 09:08 PM
Meachem and Royal can both go hot and cold. Too bad if they both go cold at the same time. ;D

I worry sometimes about players from offenses like the Saints. IMO only Colston is the real good player in that bunch. I could be wrong though obviously lol! But when you have a QB like Brees, he makes wr look good IMO. Then you add Sproles being such a weapon, those 3rd wr like Meachem have even more room.

I still see SD as having lost more talent last yr then they added, and now again this yr they seem to be losing a great player, and adding some avg to good ones. Sproles last yr, Jackson this yr, IMO any team would be better off with those 2 players then without them.

Just not sure Chargers haven't ****ed up these last couple yrs letting players like Turner, Sproles, and now Jackson leave.

houghtam
03-15-2012, 09:11 PM
I worry sometimes about players from offenses like the Saints. IMO only Colston is the real good player in that bunch. I could be wrong though obviously lol! But when you have a QB like Brees, he makes wr look good IMO. Then you add Sproles being such a weapon, those 3rd wr like Meachem have even more room.

I still see SD as having lost more talent last yr then they added, and now again this yr they seem to be losing a great player, and adding some avg to good ones. Sproles last yr, Jackson this yr, IMO any team would be better off with those 2 players then without them.

Just not sure Chargers haven't ****ed up these last couple yrs letting players like Turner, Sproles, and now Jackson leave.

Having a Saints WR on your fantasy team is risky.

Sincerely,

Having a Broncos RB on your fantasy team.

cutthemdown
03-15-2012, 09:13 PM
Having a Saints WR on your fantasy team is risky.

Sincerely,

Having a Broncos RB on your fantasy team.

It really is

Sincerely,

Maurice Clarrett.

Rohirrim
03-15-2012, 09:14 PM

There's a reason Archie didn't want his kid going to that franchise. ;D

houghtam
03-15-2012, 09:16 PM
It really is

Sincerely,

Maurice Clarrett.

LOL nice

lonestar
03-15-2012, 09:25 PM

Jackson and the rest of those WR's were huge targets, replacing him with royal a real downgrade size and HEART wise..

Xenos
03-15-2012, 09:29 PM

When you give Rivers time and protection, he can do the same thing as well. Look at Seyi Ajiritutu in 2010 as an example.

ORANGEJARHEAD
03-15-2012, 09:31 PM
Damn, I liked Eddie Royal.

Xenos
03-15-2012, 09:33 PM

Royal and Meachum isn't going to replace Jackson in that way. They will never be able to outphysical their corners with jump balls like Jackson, Floyd, or Gates can. However, they do provide something that the first two can't. Their speed and ability to get deep quick will help open up the middle of the field more for guys like Floyd and Gates. Additionally, one of the main weaknesses that VJ had this past year is that he was not consistently getting open anymore, especially the deep passes. Hopefully that will improve with Meachum and Royal here.

Xenos
03-15-2012, 09:35 PM
Meachum a good player but just not physical like Jackson was. Just not so sure you can spin losing a player like Jackson. He is so good downfield and in the redzone. The redzone never a place Meachum and Royal have really thrived.

Gates has always been the main guy in the redzone, especially near the 10. After that it's the running backs.

boltaneer
03-15-2012, 09:59 PM
Losing Jackson hurts but I'll give AJ Smith credit, even though I'm really down on him in general. He filled A LOT of holes with the money that would have been spent on Jackson alone.

"Hardwick, Meachem, Gaither, Johnson, McClain count $13.65 million against cap in 2012. Vincent Jackson's cap number = $13 million"

Sometimes you just can't keep everyone.

broncocalijohn
03-15-2012, 10:51 PM

Flexibility? Yes. Not sure how you can say overall talent. Losing Jackson as a wideout in favor of Royal is a step down. Maybe you guys are still haunted by our brown and mustard jerseys on MNF when he went for two scores as a special teamer.

cutthemdown
03-15-2012, 11:18 PM
When you give Rivers time and protection, he can do the same thing as well. Look at Seyi Ajiritutu in 2010 as an example.

Rivers isn't as consistent as Brees though.

cutthemdown
03-15-2012, 11:22 PM
Gates has always been the main guy in the redzone, especially near the 10. After that it's the running backs.

I just don't see Royal or Meachum being someone that runs the fade in the endzone like Jackson could. So I'm trying to figure out why Charger fans dont think losing Jackson is really really bad. I get how they couldn't afford him, but seems like they let a lot of good players leave in FA.

If I was a Charger fan i would think you spend money on QB/LT/and your number 1 WR. If you cant pay the going rate for a great number 1 WR then something wrong IMO.

cutthemdown
03-15-2012, 11:23 PM
If the Chargers had Rivers Jackson Sproles and the young RB mathews there offense would be damn scary

It can still be good but I just think Broncos got a huge favor Sproles, and now Jackson hitting the road.

400HZ
03-15-2012, 11:26 PM
Flexibility? Yes. Not sure how you can say overall talent. Losing Jackson as a wideout in favor of Royal is a step down. Maybe you guys are still haunted by our brown and mustard jerseys on MNF when he went for two scores as a special teamer.

Less talent with Meachem, Floyd, Brown, and Royal than what we had with Jackson last year, but more flexibility and better depth. Generally I'd prefer talent, but the Chargers have suffered the last two seasons because of insufficient depth and flexibility at WR, so that's the upside.

Meachem will take Jackson's role as an every-down player. Royal is complimentary.

400HZ
03-15-2012, 11:32 PM
I just don't see Royal or Meachum being someone that runs the fade in the endzone like Jackson could. So I'm trying to figure out why Charger fans dont think losing Jackson is really really bad. I get how they couldn't afford him, but seems like they let a lot of good players leave in FA.

If I was a Charger fan i would think you spend money on QB/LT/and your number 1 WR. If you cant pay the going rate for a great number 1 WR then something wrong IMO.

I think the writing was on the wall for so long that most fans were prepared for it. Don't mistake that for not thinking that it's a huge loss. Accepting life without VJ, I think our other free agency moves have been great and that has softened the blow.

400HZ
03-15-2012, 11:45 PM
I would hate to lose a player of Jackson caliber. Its a lot like us shipping Lloyd and Marshall out. Sure they had baggage but they really were tough to cover.

Another thing that worries me about Royal is it just seems like every yr he gets a little banged up, then becomes worthless. Last yr when we were including him in the option, into the backfield, it was really adding another facet to it. But then he tweaked a hammy or groin or something and once again vanished.

Meachum though is a good pickup. He could be better then people think because NO has so many WR. Or he could just be avg and it was only a great QB and a stacked offense that helped him. So I would say on that player you will have to wait and see. Still none of them give you flexibility in the redzone IMO. Not sure how you see them being more flexible them a guy like Jackson who commands a double team. Not to mention just his physical presence in the running game.

Obviously we're screwed if Meachem doesn't pan out. I like him. I have since the 2007 draft. He has a great combination of size, speed, and YAC ability. In New Orleans he was their WR on the field in 1 WR sets too, meaning he's probably a pretty decent run blocker.

Obviously I don't think that he's as good as Jackson. Sean Payton, unlike our own esteemed head coach, puts players in situations to maximize their talents and hide their flaws. So seeing Meachem the last few years, I think we saw him at his best. We'll see if Payton was covering up some shortcomings. It seemed like he was their down field receiver on every play. I hope that doesn't mean that he's severely lacking in the short game. I am optimistic, though. You couldn't watch him play the last couple years and not be impressed.

Xenos
03-15-2012, 11:50 PM
Rivers isn't as consistent as Brees though.

Up til this past season, Rivers was the more consistent of the two. He never had the highs of Brees, but he also never experienced the lows that Brees did prior to 2011. I can remember the inconsistent years Brees had in 2005 as a Charger, and of course the 2007 season with the Saints where Brees started the season with like 1 TD to 9 Interceptions?

Statistically Rivers had his best season in 2010 without a reliable running game and without a star wideout in Vincent Jackson. He just had better protection and probably wasn't fighting an injury like he did last year.

Punisher
03-16-2012, 03:07 AM
Royal and Rivers would be scary if they had Jackson

Boltjolt
03-16-2012, 10:51 AM

We will have to wait and see about Meachem. Again, he will get a lot mor playing time than he has in his NFL career so far and sure he had Brees but now he has Rivers.
In 2010 we didnt have Jackson damn near all year til the last 5 games and we plugged in other guys and were for the most part, fine. We replaced him with a rookie, Seyi Ajirotutu who is now in Carolina(i think), Patrick Crayton and Kelly Washington. Combined they all did well with Rivers throwing to them and in fact, Rivers set a record that year by completing passes to 17 different recievers.
Legadu Naanee was also in the mix but got hurt early and missed many games. The WR group as a whole was real banged up along with Jackson being a contract holdout.

Rivers still has 30 TD's, a 101 rating and 4700+ yards. We still scored 443 points(27.4 per game). Last year with VJ we scored 406 points at 25.4 per game.

I dont have the RZ figures but the offense as a whole was better in 2010 than in 2011 and we had Jackson all year in 2011.

EDIT*

so in 2010 we were actually better in the RZ than in 2011

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct

El Guapo
03-16-2012, 11:25 AM
I'm sure Royal will be pissed when Denver signs Peyton. ha

boltaneer
03-16-2012, 12:58 PM
It's the offense in San Diego that puts up those huge yards per catch numbers and Rivers is one of the best deep ball QBs in the NFL.

Whoever lines up as #1 or #2 is going to put up huge numbers. Aside from VJ and Floyd:

Vincent Brown 17.3 in 2011.
Seiji Ajirotutu put up a 20.2 YPC average in 2010.
Patrick Crayton 18.4 in 2010.

Not saying VJ isn't a great receiver. He is. But some of it is a product of the system. Meachem's style fits this offense perfectly so if he stays healthy, I see him having a huge year.

Ronnie Tsunami
03-19-2012, 07:53 PM
*manning bump*

one man's quest to rid the first page of all excessive peyton related content