PDA

View Full Version : Free Agency Kick Off - Manning, Caldwell, Porter, Adams, Dreesen, Hanie and Tamme signed

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]

DENVERDUI55
03-24-2012, 06:57 PM
Hanie can't run a Jay Cutler offense let alone a Manning Offense.

DBroncos4life
03-24-2012, 06:59 PM
Hanie is the first FA signing that I totally hate. I'd have rather kept Quinn and that is ****ing saying something cos I hate him too.

Horse ****. Quinn gives KC zero chance to win if Cassel goes down. If we kept him they might have got someone worth a ****.

DENVERDUI55
03-24-2012, 07:27 PM
Two career backups and two crappy young players? Woo hoo!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/11373/year/2010/jacob-tamme

Pretty good if you ask me.

eddie mac
03-24-2012, 11:22 PM
Horse ****. Quinn gives KC zero chance to win if Cassel goes down. If we kept him they might have got someone worth a ****.

So you reckon Hanie can win if Manning goes down.LOLLOLLOL

canadianbroncosfan
03-25-2012, 10:37 AM
Maybe I missed it, however has anyone mentioned that Lofton signed with the Saints?

DBroncos4life
03-25-2012, 11:00 AM
So you reckon Hanie can win if Manning goes down.LOLLOLLOL

No, I think the Broncos are ****ed like most teams in the NFL when the starter goes down.

Gcver2ver3
03-25-2012, 11:06 AM
No, I think the Broncos are ****ed like most teams in the NFL when the starter goes down.

true, but unlike most teams, the odds are probably greater for us, being that our QB is 36yrs old QB, hasnt taken a real snap in over a year, and is fresh off of 4 neck surgeries...

i'm as optimistic as the next fan that Manning will be a full go by start of the season... but of all teams in the league, we shouldve been near the top in making back up QB a priority in terms of a quality player...

if someone can sell me on that being Hanie, great... but thats going to be a tough sell...

CEH
03-25-2012, 11:08 AM
Quick without the help of the internet , who are the current backups for Rodgers, Brees and Brady. Exactly

winstoncup bronco
03-25-2012, 11:11 AM
Quick without the help of the internet , who are the current backups for Rodgers, Brees and Brady. Exactly

True, but none of those guys are 36 with heightened injury risk either.

TonyR
03-25-2012, 11:11 AM
...but of all teams in the league, we shouldve been near the top in making back up QB a priority in terms of a quality player......

I agreed with you for a minute, and then thought about it and realized that such players really don't exists. There aren't 32 quality starters in the league, let alone quality backups. Could we have done better than Hanie? Probably. But I don't know that it really matters, particularly if they're looking to draft somebody at the position.

ayjackson
03-25-2012, 11:12 AM
True, but none of those guys are 36 with heightened injury risk either.

Rodgers had Flynn. Brady has two very good backups in Hoyer and Mallett. Don`t know anything about Brees.

DBroncos4life
03-25-2012, 11:12 AM
true, but unlike most teams, the odds are probably greater for us, being that our QB is 36yrs old QB, hasnt taken a real snap in over a year, and is fresh off of 4 neck surgeries...

i'm as optimistic as the next fan that Manning will be a full go by start of the season... but of all teams in the league, we shouldve been near the top in making back up QB a priority in terms of a quality player...

if someone can sell me on that being Hanie, great... but thats going to be a tough sell...

Manning hasn't missed a snap up to this point. My money is on Manning. I know people wanted Billy Volek as the back up. If you are worried about Manning for not taking a real snap in a year then this guy should give you nightmares.

winstoncup bronco
03-25-2012, 11:15 AM
Rodgers had Flynn. Brady has two very good backups in Hoyer and Mallett. Don`t know anything about Brees.

Flynn played well in what we saw, but he's not in GB anymore. I think the question was current backups.

Someone stated that there aren't enough quality starters to go around, let alone backups, and I agree. I think the problem alot of GM's have is they chase having a premier QB, when maybe they should get a middle tier one and build a great team around him. Seems like it would be easier to do,

Gcver2ver3
03-25-2012, 11:17 AM
I agreed with you for a minute, and then thought about it and realized that such players really don't exists. There aren't 32 quality starters in the league, let alone quality backups. Could we have done better than Hanie? Probably. But I don't know that it really matters, particularly if they're looking to draft somebody at the position.

Tim Tebow for starters...

we had a capable QB to step in... one that has regular season and playoff experience... we sent him off for a bag of skittles and a coupon to Johnny Rockets...

i think where you and i may most disgaree then is our feeling of Caleb Hanie... i literally can't think more lowly of a qb as i do Hanie... he's terrible imo... i wouldve called Jake Plummer back before Hanie...

Gcver2ver3
03-25-2012, 11:19 AM
Manning hasn't missed a snap up to this point. My money is on Manning. I know people wanted Billy Volek as the back up. If you are worried about Manning for not taking a real snap in a year then this guy should give you nightmares.

not really worried, but i won't over look it... it could still play a factor, although admittedly i doubt it will...

TonyR
03-25-2012, 11:27 AM
Tim Tebow for starters...

I think most people like the thought of Tebow as Manning's backup in theory. But we knew it wasn't going to happen. I don't think EFX wanted him here, I don't know that he wanted to be here, and it's possible that Manning didn't want him here. And then there's the fact that Tebow's style of play totally doesn't fit the kind of offense that's going to be put together for Manning. Tebow just wasn't a good fit for many reasons.

Gcver2ver3
03-25-2012, 11:38 AM
I think most people like the thought of Tebow as Manning's backup in theory. But we knew it wasn't going to happen. I don't think EFX wanted him here, I don't know that he wanted to be here, and it's possible that Manning didn't want him here. And then there's the fact that Tebow's style of play totally doesn't fit the kind of offense that's going to be put together for Manning. Tebow just wasn't a good fit for many reasons.

i understand where you're coming from...

i just disagree... Tebow is easily better than Hanie regardless of style...

i also think people get carried away in saying Tebow can't run a conventional offense... can he run it like Manning?.. course not... but he has an entire offseaon to improve on running pro style offense.. i'd feel a lot better about Tebow getting in there in the event of Manning missing some time...

if Manning plays all year this a moot point, and Manning is a bit of an iron man short of last year of course... so hopefully none this will matter anyway...

Gcver2ver3
03-25-2012, 11:52 AM
for all the hoopla about the neck surgeries, i was actually more concerned about his age causing him to miss time...

in an attempt to make myself feel better i decided to check some top QBs that played late in their careers and see how many games they missed, in an attempt to make myself feel better...

and it worked...

Manning is will be 36yrs old, so i rounded up to 37 yrs of age... Elway played all 16 games at 37... Dan Marino played all 16 games, Kurt Warner all 16 games, and so did Brett Favre...

Favre was a freak, he played all 16 games every year INCLUDING at 40 yrs of age... a 40yr old lasting all 16 games is incredible...

anyone familiar with Peyton Manning knows, he's got that same iron man gene in him... :strong:

g6matty
03-25-2012, 12:16 PM

matt flynn . that misouri qb. brian hoyer and ryan mallet! WINNEr

lonestar
03-25-2012, 12:21 PM
i understand where you're coming from...

i just disagree... Tebow is easily better than Hanie regardless of style...

i also think people get carried away in saying Tebow can't run a conventional offense... can he run it like Manning?.. course not... but he has an entire offseaon to improve on running pro style offense.. i'd feel a lot better about Tebow getting in there in the event of Manning missing some time...

if Manning plays all year this a moot point, and Manning is a bit of an iron man short of last year of course... so hopefully none this will matter anyway...

I beleive this is a great post overall..

Tebow is an up and comer IMO..

HAnie is a never will be most likely..

as for Tebow he is unconventional and had a huge contract they wanted out of..
Not to mention the hoopla surrounding him..

THey had to put him in last year instead of the clear #2 in quinn, had they not there would have been roits..

Tebow was and IS a 3-4 year project that none of the big cheeses wanted to take the time to develop..

Myslef I beleive he would have sucked up every bit of knowledge that Manning and Elway would have imparted during film session as well as coaching moments.

HE would have been the consumate back up and RED zone threat.

But Elway did not want "joshes mistake" on the team, God only kows what the hang up is. as Tebow has done every thing they have asked of him.
He has worked diligently on his mechanics, with whatever coach they have sent to him..

Just maybe he will never be an All Pro but it will not be from a lack of effort..

barryr
03-25-2012, 12:21 PM
CB William Gay just signed a 2 year deal with the Cards. The Broncos had brought him in before signing Porter.

oubronco
03-25-2012, 12:22 PM
Maybe I missed it, however has anyone mentioned that Lofton signed with the Saints?

I'm really upset about this, he would've been a major upgrade over Mays and Irving

barryr
03-25-2012, 12:24 PM

Yes, in the Lofton thread.

Rohirrim
03-25-2012, 12:26 PM
matt flynn . that misouri qb. brian hoyer and ryan mallet! WINNEr

Flynn is a Seahawk.

Bronco Rob
03-25-2012, 03:01 PM
The Broncos are visiting with Pittsburgh reserve quarterback Dennis Dixon. His visit started before Denver signed QB Caleb Hanie. Hanie has the inside track to back up Peyton Manning in Denver, but the Broncos are still interested in signing Dixon to compete with Hanie during training camp.

If Dixon is signed, Denver may still draft a quarterback to develop.

Center Jeff Saturday explained why he signed with Green Bay as opposed to Denver to reunite with Manning. Saturday told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that he thought the Packers wanted him more than the Broncos did. Denver has third-year center J.D. Walton, who they are happy with. Denver looked at Saturday because of his comfort level with Manning.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/42148/afc-west-notes-70

DBroncos4life
03-25-2012, 05:29 PM
If Vilma is cut would you want to bring him in even if he might miss some games? Personally I don't think DJ gets suspended, and I think DJ and Vilma would be great together like in college.

eddie mac
03-25-2012, 06:47 PM
If Vilma is cut would you want to bring him in even if he might miss some games? Personally I don't think DJ gets suspended, and I think DJ and Vilma would be great together like in college.

The Broncos have already made their position clear at MLB and WLB for 2012.

Mays will return as the starter cos obviously they dont think Irving is ready otherwise they wouldn't have guaranteed $4m to Joe in 2012/13

Woodyard was re-signed as depth at WLB and as cover if DJ is suspended but everything I've read so far from NFL media outlets indicate they doubt that suspension holds for him and McBean.

DBroncos4life
03-25-2012, 08:07 PM

Mays will return as the starter cos obviously they dont think Irving is ready otherwise they wouldn't have guaranteed $4m to Joe in 2012/13

Woodyard was re-signed as depth at WLB and as cover if DJ is suspended but everything I've read so far from NFL media outlets indicate they doubt that suspension holds for him and McBean.

We just signed Hanie and we are trying to bring in another QB as well. There isn't any reason to think we are done looking at LBs.

Wes Mantooth
03-25-2012, 09:12 PM
Hanie can't run a Jay Cutler offense let alone a Manning Offense.

Jay Cutler couldn't do it either. Martz was and is an idiot.

Jekyll15Hyde
03-25-2012, 09:14 PM

I tend to agree... I was really hoping for Hightower at 25 but I am just not seeing that happen. Alternatively hoping for Still

broncswin
03-25-2012, 09:34 PM
Jay Cutler couldn't do it either. Martz was and is an idiot.

Ya, you actually mentioned two idiots in your above post.

g6matty
03-25-2012, 09:36 PM
my insider is telling me the patriots are making a strong play for matt forte. offering a 2nd and 4th

Wes Mantooth
03-25-2012, 09:41 PM
Ya, you actually mentioned two idiots in your above post.

you got me.:notworthy

DBroncos4life
03-25-2012, 09:48 PM
my insider is telling me the patriots are making a strong play for matt forte. offering a 2nd and 4th

Kind of on par what I thought he would get, I said a second this year and a third next year. I would try and out bid NE if I was Denver. Forte on the Pats would make them even tougher come playoff time.

broncos-rock
03-27-2012, 07:27 AM
Any news on Marcus Thomas? Dude would definitely help!

Beantown Bronco
03-27-2012, 07:31 AM
Kind of on par what I thought he would get, I said a second this year and a third next year. I would try and out bid NE if I was Denver. Forte on the Pats would make them even tougher come playoff time.

What if we could realistically get Stewart for less than half that in a trade (and less than half that in a new contract)?

TonyR
03-27-2012, 07:41 AM

Doesn't look like the type of move the Pats normally make, but it wouldn't completely shock me.

TonyR
03-27-2012, 01:41 PM
Remember that $40 million in salary cap space the Broncos had entering the 2012 offseason? They figured out how to spend it. In the past 10 days, Broncos owner Pat Bowlen has invested nearly $140 million in nine players.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/03/27/bowlen-dollars-broncos-nfl-free-agency/12828/

Peyton Manning, QB … 5 years, $96 million … $18 million
Joe Mays, MLB* … 3 years, $12 million … $4 million
Joel Dreessen, TE … 3 years, $8.5 million … $4 million
Jacob Tamme, TE … 3 years, $8 million … $3.5 million
Tracy Porter, CB … 1 year, $4 million … $4 million
Mike Adams, S … 2 years, $4 million … $2 million
Wesley Woodyard, LB* … 2 years, $4 million … $2 milion
Andre Caldwell, WR … 2 years, $1.8 million … $900,000**
Caleb Hanie, QB … 1 year, $1.25 million … $1.25 million***

Totals … $139.55 million … $39.65 million

* – Bronco free agents who were re-signed.
** – $200,000 of Caldwell’s salary is guaranteed.
*** – Hanie has no guaranteed money.

Rohirrim
03-27-2012, 01:52 PM
Must be a bitch to have your personal income public knowledge.

TonyR
03-27-2012, 01:55 PM
Must be a b**** to have your personal income public knowledge.

Agree, but I'd sure like to have the problem of making that kind of money!

AboveAverage
03-27-2012, 01:57 PM
It's amazing how the 'Bowlen is cheap' crowd has vanished as soon as Manning and a slew of other free agents signed in Denver. They were so committed to their false narrative that really only had credence on the internet. Too bad.

Karenin
03-27-2012, 02:20 PM
I'm glad they used their cap room, I just wish it was on good players (Manning excluded, obv)

Beantown Bronco
03-27-2012, 02:20 PM
It's amazing how the 'Bowlen is cheap' crowd has vanished as soon as Manning and a slew of other free agents signed in Denver. They were so committed to their false narrative that really only had credence on the internet. Too bad.

Loans, loans, loans. :wiggle:

How many folks are homeless now because they wanted to refi every time they needed a new car, a couple of vacations or to upgrade the old home theater....and stopped paying all those nuisance monthly mortgage bills they received in the mail?

Gcver2ver3
03-27-2012, 02:27 PM
I'm glad they used their cap room, I just wish it was on good players (Manning excluded, obv)

http://mob1014.photobucket.com/albums/af269/CATVONAWESOME/FAIL/FACEPALM.gif

McDman
03-27-2012, 02:50 PM

He's back!

Cue the bigoted/prejudice remarks in 3...2...1...

DBroncos4life
03-27-2012, 02:55 PM
I wish we would go get a vet WR like Burress or Edwards. I prefer Burress because he is more of a RZ guy and doesn't need to take time away from our younger guys. Plus he can teach Thomas a thing or two down in the RZ.

eddie mac
03-27-2012, 02:56 PM
Remember that $40 million in salary cap space the Broncos had entering the 2012 offseason? They figured out how to spend it. In the past 10 days, Broncos owner Pat Bowlen has invested nearly $140 million in nine players.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/03/27/bowlen-dollars-broncos-nfl-free-agency/12828/

The sign of the new Broncos.

Not one backloaded contract there, infact Tamme and Dreesen's contracts are actually frontloaded.

Gcver2ver3
03-27-2012, 03:09 PM
I wish we would go get a vet WR like Burress or Edwards.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/780762/Do-Not-Want.jpg

McDman
03-27-2012, 03:14 PM
I wish we would go get a vet WR like Burress or Edwards. I prefer Burress because he is more of a RZ guy and doesn't need to take time away from our younger guys. Plus he can teach Thomas a thing or two down in the RZ.

Manning's receivers have to show work ethic. Edwards is literally the exact opposite of that.

RunSilentRunDeep
03-27-2012, 03:18 PM

The $39.65M number is a little misleading since with every signing, a low-salaried player moves off the cap if they're lo longer in the top 51. So with each signing, a Rafael Bush-type $465,000 gets bumped. That 39.65M is actually more like $35.5M.

DBroncos4life
03-27-2012, 03:26 PM
Manning's receivers have to show work ethic. Edwards is literally the exact opposite of that.

Look at the vets left. Pretty much you are left with Burress who I said I wanted more or Edwards.

Gcver2ver3
03-27-2012, 03:28 PM
Look at the vets left. Pretty much you are left with Burress who I said I wanted more or Edwards.

Caldwell is a vet...

thats good enough...

we don't need a great vet, just a solid vetran WR presence...

stokley may come aboard to, keep that in mind...

Karenin
03-27-2012, 04:52 PM
He's back!

Cue the bigoted/prejudice remarks in 3...2...1...

and you are...?

DBroncos4life
03-27-2012, 04:54 PM
Caldwell is a vet...

thats good enough...

we don't need a great vet, just a solid vetran WR presence...

stokley may come aboard to, keep that in mind...

Caldwell has played on more year then our two guys lol. He isn't the vetran presense I would want or look for. Stokley is worthless. If we bring someone in at least have them be a threat.

Gcver2ver3
03-27-2012, 05:35 PM
Caldwell has played on more year then our two guys lol. He isn't the vetran presense I would want or look for. Stokley is worthless. If we bring someone in at least have them be a threat.

the threats are DT/Decker...

Caldwell and Stokley would provide depth and veteran presence...

wanting Edwards or Burress would be potentially disruptive...

Lestat
03-27-2012, 05:48 PM
Dean Winchester gif, you sir need rep :strong:
http://mob1014.photobucket.com/albums/af269/CATVONAWESOME/FAIL/FACEPALM.gif

Gcver2ver3
03-27-2012, 05:49 PM
Dean Winchester gif, you sir need rep :strong:

thank you kindly!...:welcome:

DBroncos4life
03-27-2012, 05:51 PM
the threats are DT/Decker...

Caldwell and Stokley would provide depth and veteran presence...

wanting Edwards or Burress would be potentially disruptive...

Stokley is finished. He didn't play last year and would bring just as much to the table as Rice did. Caldwell is a number 3 WR at best and pretty much is a fast scrub. Really you want him to be the veteran leader of our WR core?

Burress didn't mess with the Jets O. He knows his role and he is clutch. Sorry if late in a playoff game I want Manning tossing the ball to him over Caldwell ROFL!

As I already said Burress role wouldn't take Thomas or Decker off the field. Burress caught 45 passes last year and 38 went for FDs and 8 TDs.

Caldwell caught 37 passes and 15 went for FDs and 3 TDs.

I know it won't happen I just want a better safety valve the Caldwell or a worthless Stokley.

Gcver2ver3
03-27-2012, 06:00 PM
Stokley is finished. He didn't play last year and would bring just as much to the table as Rice did. Caldwell is a number 3 WR at best and pretty much is a fast scrub. Really you want him to be the veteran leader of our WR core?

Burress didn't mess with the Jets O. He knows his role and he is clutch. Sorry if late in a playoff game I want Manning tossing the ball to him over Caldwell ROFL!

As I already said Burress role wouldn't take Thomas or Decker off the field. Burress caught 45 passes last year and 38 went for FDs and 8 TDs.

Caldwell caught 37 passes and 15 went for FDs and 3 TDs.

I know it won't happen I just want a better safety valve the Caldwell or a worthless Stokley.

i think we're just looking at it differently...

u seem to want a vet that is expected to be an impact player or a major contributer...

you keep explaining to me how ineffective caldwell and stokley are... u dont have to sell me on that, i never said they were very good... just veteran depth...

you appear to be looking for a veteran impact player, while i'm not... i want our young guys to be the focal points with veteran depth...

stokley may be garbage, but he worked with manning for a while and could help our young receivers better adjust to manning's game...

DBroncos4life
03-27-2012, 06:11 PM
i think we're just looking at it differently...

u seem to want a vet that is expected to be an impact player or a major contributer...

you keep explaining to me how ineffective caldwell and stokley are... u dont have to sell me on that, i never said they were very good... just veteran depth...

you appear to be looking for a veteran impact player, while i'm not... i want our young guys to be the focal points with veteran depth...

stokley may be garbage, but he worked with manning for a while and could help our young receivers better adjust to manning's game...

I want a guy that is going to make DCs worried when we get inside the 10. If you are going to pay a vet you might as well get some production on the field. Having Burress inside the RZ really opens things up IMHO.

lolcopter
03-27-2012, 06:20 PM
Fwiw caldwell can play all WR positions

Plax and Edwards can't do anything DT can't do in this offense, and we just signed two TEs who are proven RZ threats

lonestar
03-27-2012, 06:31 PM

I'd guess that DJ is gonzo regardless of what the NFL does..

I suspect that those in the know will drop his inflated contract because of his off the field crap..

while he is a tackling machine most are after the RB makes the first down or good yardage..

almost NO tackles for losses over his career..

eddie mac
03-27-2012, 07:07 PM
I'd guess that DJ is gonzo regardless of what the NFL does..

I suspect that those in the know will drop his inflated contract because of his off the field crap..

while he is a tackling machine most are after the RB makes the first down or good yardage..

almost NO tackles for losses over his career..

It's a distinct possibility if the suspension holds up. He has no guaranteed money left so his entire $5m base salary would clear the books leaving $1.8m in dead caproom.

DBroncos4life
03-27-2012, 07:14 PM
Fwiw caldwell can play all WR positions

Plax and Edwards can't do anything DT can't do in this offense, and we just signed two TEs who are proven RZ threats

Caldwell can't play any of the WR position very well.

McDman
03-27-2012, 07:16 PM
and you are...?

A big fan.

broncswin
03-27-2012, 08:17 PM
I want a guy that is going to make DCs worried when we get inside the 10. If you are going to pay a vet you might as well get some production on the field. Having Burress inside the RZ really opens things up IMHO.

This is where our TE will come into play..which in turn makes defenders pull off DT..allowing him to go one on one with a QB who can fit the ball into tight spots...this will be big

DBroncos4life
03-27-2012, 09:43 PM
This is where our TE will come into play..which in turn makes defenders pull off DT..allowing him to go one on one with a QB who can fit the ball into tight spots...this will be big

Burress is a prove RZ threat. Thomas is not. Whatever I'm done ****ing talking about it. We have **** for vet WRs and I think it wouldn't hurt to have one that is a proven play maker.

TonyR
03-28-2012, 07:17 AM
Denver is reportedly among several teams to have shown interest in Bears DT Amobi Okoye, the remarkable young man who graduated from Louisville at 19 years old before the Texans drafted him 10th overall in 2007.

Meanwhile, the team may end up bringing back WR Brandon Stokley as had been rumored shortly after Denver signed Peyton Manning. DT Marcus Thomas is apparently choosing between the Broncos and two other teams, and Denver is also trying to re-sign DE Jason Hunter.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/the-daily-lard-3-28-12

https://twitter.com/#%21/caplannfl/status/184644129437913089

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20270470/denver-broncos-still-have-holes-fill-at-defensive

TonyR
03-28-2012, 07:20 AM
"We've got some holes, in particular at defensive tackle," Broncos coach John Fox said Tuesday at the AFC coaches breakfast with the media.

Besides looking for defensive tackles, the Broncos figure to open contract extension talks this summer with offensive lineman Ryan Clady, a left tackle who can become a free agent after the 2012 season. The Broncos might also bring back slot receiver and ex-Manning teammate Brandon Stokley, and they're trying to re-sign defensive end Jason Hunter.

They also would like to add depth at tailback, linebacker and outside receiver, perhaps at strong safety.

But primarily they need to fortify the defensive tackle position. Brodrick Bunkley left Denver as a free agent and signed with the New Orleans Saints (a five-year contract worth $22.5 million, including $8.9 million guaranteed). Marcus Thomas is weighing Denver's offer against two others. Ryan McBean is hoping Denver District Court will stay his six-game suspension by the NFL.

Mitch Unrein and Ty Warren are on the Denver roster.

Read more: Denver Broncos still have holes to fill at defensive tackle - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20270470/denver-broncos-still-have-holes-fill-at-defensive#ixzz1qPvzmGLi
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Lestat
03-28-2012, 08:12 AM
good, we need to sign him, depth never hurts and neither does competition.
Denver is reportedly among several teams to have shown interest in Bears DT Amobi Okoye, the remarkable young man who graduated from Louisville at 19 years old before the Texans drafted him 10th overall in 2007.

Meanwhile, the team may end up bringing back WR Brandon Stokley as had been rumored shortly after Denver signed Peyton Manning. DT Marcus Thomas is apparently choosing between the Broncos and two other teams, and Denver is also trying to re-sign DE Jason Hunter.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/the-daily-lard-3-28-12

https://twitter.com/#%21/caplannfl/status/184644129437913089

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20270470/denver-broncos-still-have-holes-fill-at-defensive

BroncoInferno
03-28-2012, 08:15 AM
Mitch Unrein and Ty Warren are on the Denver roster.[/I]

Is Vickerson a free agent?

TonyR
03-28-2012, 08:34 AM
Is Vickerson a free agent?

No, it appears he's under contract for 2012. Not sure why he's not mentioned.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3385/kevin-vickerson

The Joker
03-28-2012, 08:43 AM
Oh, Kevin Vickerson?!

We're saved!!

Lestat
03-28-2012, 08:47 AM
cause while the Broncos love him, he's never truly been a factor either due to the role he was pegged for under McDaniels or injuries.
No, it appears he's under contract for 2012. Not sure why he's not mentioned.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3385/kevin-vickerson

Rohirrim
03-28-2012, 09:00 AM
If the Broncos don't pick a DT with that first round pick I'm going to shave my head and move to a shack in Patagonia.

pricejj
03-28-2012, 09:42 AM
If the Broncos don't pick a DT with that first round pick I'm going to shave my head and move to a shack in Patagonia.

If the Broncos pick Devon Still in the 1st round I'm going to shave my nether-regions and move to Istanbul.

Chris
03-28-2012, 09:49 AM
Patagonia

Istanbul

Really terrible NOT places NOT NOT

Bronco Rob
03-28-2012, 10:17 AM
Adam Schefter

55 minutes ago via WhoSay.

San Francisco 49ers reached agreement with former Giants running back Brandon Jacobs.

Lestat
03-28-2012, 10:20 AM
Jim really does want to play some Big Ten style football. the 49ers are gonna be a dangerous team again this year and if they have a lethal draft it's gonna be a bloodbath when they and the Giants face off.

TonyR
03-28-2012, 11:57 AM
Re Eagles CB Asante Samuel...

McCormick also reports that the Eagles want a third-round pick for Samuel.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/28/report-titans-interested-in-asante-samuel/

Gcver2ver3
03-28-2012, 12:00 PM
Re Eagles CB Asante Samuel...

McCormick also reports that the Eagles want a third-round pick for Samuel.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/28/report-titans-interested-in-asante-samuel/

sounds reasonable...

i could take it or leave it...

Smilin Assassin
03-28-2012, 12:03 PM
If the Broncos pick Devon Still in the 1st round I'm going to shave my nether-regions and move to Istanbul.

You're saying you've seen enough of Still that you'd be THAT upset w/the pick?

pricejj
03-28-2012, 01:29 PM
You're saying you've seen enough of Still that you'd be THAT upset w/the pick?

He has had an ACL, and MCL, a broken ankle, a high-ankle sprain (keeping him out of the last 3 games last year), and turf toe (keeping him out of the bowl game), which he was still recovering from at the combine and his Pro Day.

Couple that with the fact that he only emerged as a 22-year old Senior, wasn't dominating (only 4 sacks), and missed a good portion of the year? Too much of a risk for a 1st rounder.
What position would he play? Still is not a UT, he doesn't have enough athleticism, and production. Still is not an NT, he wouldn't command a double team.

pricejj
03-28-2012, 01:38 PM
Jerel Worthy - Marcus Thomas size with a little less athletic ability. Worthy is not athletic enough, and does not give enough production for a dominant UT...too small to command a double team at NT (which is where you create mismatches in a 4-3).

Fletcher Cox - May possess enough athletic ability to excel at the UT position, and would probably worthy of a 1st round pick...but lacks elite production (I would probably take him, and hope he continues to develop).

Michael Brockers - Strictly a 3-4 DE...reminds me of Tyson Jackson...who hasn't worked out.

Dontari Poe - His size, and athleticism would definitely command a double team at the NT position, but lacks elite production (I would probably take him, and hope he continues to develop).

Neither Cox or Poe are likely to be available at #25. It would be better to pick DL in the 2nd round, where there is value (Crick/Wolfe).

TheReverend
03-28-2012, 01:48 PM
He has had an ACL, and MCL, a broken ankle, a high-ankle sprain (keeping him out of the last 4 games last year), and turf toe (keeping him out of the bowl game), which he was still recovering from at the combine and his Pro Day.

Couple that with the fact that he only emerged as a 22-year old Senior, wasn't dominating (only 4 sacks), and missed a good portion of the year? Too much of a risk for a 1st rounder. He is not the penetrator, or run-stopper that the Broncos need in the middle.

What position would he play? Still is not a UT, he doesn't have enough athleticism, and production. Still is not an NT, he wouldn't command a double team.

:spit:

pricejj
03-28-2012, 01:56 PM
Who is of value in the 1st round, who may be available at #25?

1. Michael Adams - Broncos need an RT to protect Manning...Adams has shown good size and athleticism.
2. Mohamed Sanu - Broke Big East record with 115 catches, 1,200 yards. Big (6'2") speedy (4.45 forty) target, who could be a TRUE #1 WR.
3. Fletcher Cox - see above
4. Janoris Jenkins - His athleticism is shining through in the postseason workouts.
5. Dont'a Hightower - Has shown the leadership, athletic ability, and versatility to be a 3 down MLB in the NFL.
6. Kendall Wright - Had superb production, and good Pro Day, cementing him as an elite WR prospect.
7. Peter Konz - waiting in anticipation for his Pro Day...if Broncos weren't willing to give Saturday $4M per year, they must like Walton.
8. Dontari Poe - see above

pricejj
03-28-2012, 01:58 PM
:spit:

What position does he play Rev?

DENVERDUI55
03-28-2012, 02:04 PM
What position does he play Rev?

Rev is a pedifile state homer so he likes him a lot. I don't mind him so much in second round.

pricejj
03-28-2012, 02:26 PM
Rev is a pedifile state homer so he likes him a lot. I don't mind him so much in second round.

Food for thought:

Kevin Vickerson (college stats, Michigan State) - 113 tackles, 24.5 TFL's, 8 sacks
Devon Still (college stats, Penn State) - 109 tackles, 31.5 TFL's, 10 sacks

Vickerson and Still are both VERY similar athletically, in size, and stats. Vickerson came out as a TRUE Senior. Still is a REDSHIRT Senior (almost at least a year older than every other player). Still has also had some MAJOR injuries.

Kevin Vickerson was a 7th round pick.

Bmore Manning
03-28-2012, 02:41 PM
Jerel Worthy - Marcus Thomas size with a little less athletic ability. Worthy is not athletic enough, and does not give enough production for a dominant UT...too small to command a double team at NT (which is where you create mismatches in a 4-3).

Fletcher Cox - May possess enough athletic ability to excel at the UT position, and would probably worthy of a 1st round pick...but lacks elite production (I would probably take him, and hope he continues to develop).

Michael Brockers - Strictly a 3-4 DE...reminds me of Tyson Jackson...who hasn't worked out.

Dontari Poe - His size, and athleticism would definitely command a double team at the NT position, but lacks elite production (I would probably take him, and hope he continues to develop).

Neither Cox or Poe are likely to be available at #25. It would be better to pick DL in the 2nd round, where there is value (Crick/Wolfe).

I tend to agree here.. I prefer Thompson in the second round and Martin/Chapman in the third as the NT.
Take BPA @25..
But would really prefer a trade down for a couple of picks

Ziggy
03-28-2012, 02:46 PM

Worthy isn't a NT. He's a 308 pound UT. He's the most explosive DT in this draft class. His sack numbers weren't there in college because he was nearly always double teamed, which is one of the reasons he wore down late in games. He was constantly in the opponents backfield. If you want a guy that can create chaos in the middle of the line, Worthy is the DT you want out of this draft.

TheReverend
03-28-2012, 02:47 PM

Name one of their players I've pumped up unduly?

Shananahan
03-28-2012, 02:48 PM
Speaking of unduly pumping, what's Sandusky up to lately?

TheReverend
03-28-2012, 02:51 PM

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj73/thereverend316/BobaFingerGif.gif

BroncoMan4ever
03-28-2012, 05:54 PM

LOLthat is ****ing greatLOL
:notworthy

oubronco
03-28-2012, 06:12 PM
Worthy isn't a NT. He's a 308 pound UT. He's the most explosive DT in this draft class. His sack numbers weren't there in college because he was nearly always double teamed, which is one of the reasons he wore down late in games. He was constantly in the opponents backfield. If you want a guy that can create chaos in the middle of the line, Worthy is the DT you want out of this draft.

I totally agree

DENVERDUI55
03-29-2012, 09:04 AM
Name one of their players I've pumped up unduly?

I don't follow your predictions around but you were sell the farm on Patrick Peterson who was disappointing in coverage last year. He probably will come around. I was more just giving you crap I would like to draft Still too or any other DT s.

Beantown Bronco
03-29-2012, 09:18 AM
I don't follow your predictions around but you were sell the farm on Patrick Peterson who was disappointing in coverage last year. He probably will come around. I was more just giving you crap I would like to draft Still too or any other DT s.

By "their players", he's referring specifically to PSU players.

TheReverend
03-29-2012, 09:31 AM

Peterson went to "L"SU, fyi

And he's been anything but disappointing... Do you realize he tied an NFL record last year? Or that he was so good in coverage they moved vet Richard Marshall to safety? The only rookie first team all-pro?

Shananahan
03-29-2012, 09:53 AM
If Denver had drafted Peterson I think everybody here would have found a way to be happy and excited about it right now.

Mediator12
03-29-2012, 09:55 AM

Dude, that is just freakin' wrong :oyvey:

Mediator12
03-29-2012, 10:01 AM
Still is a 3T with an injury history and on his way back to INDY for a medical check this week with all the guys who were limited at the combine.

If you have seen him play, you would know how athletic and quick he is off the snap. Kid is a Natural undertackle in a 4-3 front. He is NOT an anchor for a 3-4 DE.

The first statement is WHY I would not want him in the first. He has a little quit in him when he gets hurt. However, he has first round ahtleticism and skill as good or better than Jerel Worthy in the same spot IMHO.

gyldenlove
03-29-2012, 10:05 AM
Still is a 3T with an injury history and on his way back to INDY for a medical check this week with all the guys who were limited at the combine.

If you have seen him play, you would know how athletic and quick he is off the snap. Kid is a Natural undertackle in a 4-3 front. He is NOT an anchor for a 3-4 DE.

The first statement is WHY I would not want him in the first. He has a little quit in him when he gets hurt. However, he has first round ahtleticism and skill as good or better than Jerel Worthy in the same spot IMHO.

Right now I would be fine with Cox, Worthy or Still in the 1st, they all seem like good UT prospects to me.

I am quite big on Derek Wolfe in the 3rd or 4th right now, he doesn't quite have the elite athleticism of the 1st round guys but I think he could be a very solid every down player with a year or two of work.

DENVERDUI55
03-29-2012, 12:02 PM
Peterson went to "L"SU, fyi

And he's been anything but disappointing... Do you realize he tied an NFL record last year? Or that he was so good in coverage they moved vet Richard Marshall to safety? The only rookie first team all-pro?

He was getting torches left and right all year. He only started due to injury and was hyped up because he is a great returner. You just don't take return man that high in the draft.

ozomulsion
03-29-2012, 12:11 PM
LOLthat is ****ing greatLOL
:notworthy

Hahahahaha, WOW. Child rape, what could be funnier? GTFO Worthless scumbags.

Shananahan
03-29-2012, 12:13 PM
Note to self: Stop making Sandusky jokes.

TheReverend
03-29-2012, 02:39 PM
He was getting torches left and right all year. He only started due to injury and was hyped up because he is a great returner. You just don't take return man that high in the draft.

Really? Is that why he not only supplanted Richard Marshall at CB, but beat him so badly they moved him to safety? Because of injury to someone else?

Sounds legit.

Rohirrim
03-29-2012, 03:26 PM
Jason Hunter signed up again.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/sns-tsn-abn-hunter-den-20120329,0,7604495.story

bendog
03-29-2012, 03:31 PM
Note to self: Stop making Sandusky jokes.

Girl scout, "Mr. Sandusky, you wanna buy some cookies?"

Sandusky, "No, sweetie. But do you have a twin brother?"

Jason7730
03-29-2012, 03:47 PM

I believe that Peterson will start to come on this year. He did make first team all-pro. (Although that was as a return specialist).

BroncoMan4ever
03-29-2012, 04:13 PM
Hahahahaha, WOW. Child rape, what could be funnier? GTFO Worthless scumbags.

Are we laughing at the victims? Has one disparaging remark been made about the kids. No! We are laughing at that a-hole Sandusky you dumb bastard.

Lestat
03-29-2012, 05:47 PM
Peterson was the same as most rookie NFL corners who come into the game now. you have bad day and solid days but few good ones. you're going to be picked on, you're going to be targeted and you're not going to be ready enough yet.
Outside of Revis and Bailey very few rookie CB's excelled. they got torched and learned until they got better.

DENVERDUI55
03-29-2012, 06:37 PM
Really? Is that why he not only supplanted Richard Marshall at CB, but beat him so badly they moved him to safety? Because of injury to someone else?

Sounds legit.
Marshall only would if played S if Wilson or Rhodes was hurt. I consider giving up 60+ percent of passes completed and most recieving yards giving up struggling. Then again I lived in AZ last year and saw him play and was not worth his draft hype. Sure he was great returner but that doesn't make him a great CB. That's like saying Heater is a great WR.

Here is one of many articles but you watch PP play all the time right.
http://arizonasports.com/?sid=1465426&nid=132

elsid13
03-29-2012, 06:44 PM
Peterson was the same as most rookie NFL corners who come into the game now. you have bad day and solid days but few good ones. you're going to be picked on, you're going to be targeted and you're not going to be ready enough yet.
Outside of Revis and Bailey very few rookie CB's excelled. they got torched and learned until they got better.

Champ for the first couple of years was torched on regular basis. Peterson will be a very good CB in the near future.

oubronco
03-29-2012, 07:05 PM

I think Harris had a good year and is going to be a very good one

TheReverend
03-29-2012, 07:22 PM
Marshall only would if played S if Wilson or Rhodes was hurt. I consider giving up 60+ percent of passes completed and most recieving yards giving up struggling. Then again I lived in AZ last year and saw him play and was not worth his draft hype. Sure he was great returner but that doesn't make him a great CB. That's like saying Heater is a great WR.

Here is one of many articles but you watch PP play all the time right.
http://arizonasports.com/?sid=1465426&nid=132

Your justification is PFF eh? The same website that says Kuper is the worst run blocking G in the league or something just as retarded?

Also, can you re-write your first sentence in English? I genuinely don't even know what you're trying to get at.

oubronco
03-29-2012, 07:33 PM
Saints | More on Curtis Lofton's contract (http://www.kffl.com/hotw/gnews.php?id=778144-saints-more-on-curtis-lofton's-contract)
Thu, 29 Mar 2012 17:02:05 -0700

Updating previous reports, New Orleans Saints (http://www.kffl.com/team/25/nfl/new-orleans-saints) LB Curtis Lofton (http://www.kffl.com/player/18327/nfl/curtis-lofton) is scheduled to make a base salary of $700,000 in 2012 and his salary cap number will be $1.7 million. He will receive a $1.1 million base salary as well as a $5 million roster bonus in 2013, a $1 million base salary and a $2 million roster bonus in 2014. In 2015, he is scheduled to receive a $2.4 million base salary, a $4.5 million roster bonus and a $100,000 workout bonus. He is scheduled to make a $5.4 million base salary in 2016 and will also receive a $100,000 workout bonus. He could make a base salary of $6 million in 2017 but has year of his contract is voidable.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz1qYl4tUgY

Bmore Manning
03-30-2012, 07:45 AM
I saw a Stroud to Denver rumors because of the Del Rio connection..

DBroncos4life
03-30-2012, 08:07 AM
I saw a Stroud to Denver rumors because of the Del Rio connection..

Didn't big Henderson play with Stroud and JDR? He is a FA as well.

Bmore Manning
03-30-2012, 08:22 AM

Yeah, they were a dynamic duo together. That was when JAX made their playoff appearances, under Coughlin and then Del Rio if I'm not mistaken. I think Stroud is more of an UT with run stuffing abilities. But he could be a solid veteran leader and mentor. I still want 2 drafted DTs this year or one this year and Star Louteli next year from Utah. He's a stud!

DBroncos4life
03-30-2012, 08:33 AM
Yeah, they were a dynamic duo together. That was when JAX made their playoff appearances, under Coughlin and then Del Rio if I'm not mistaken. I think Stroud is more of an UT with run stuffing abilities. But he could be a solid veteran leader and mentor. I still want 2 drafted DTs this year or one this year and Star Louteli next year from Utah. He's a stud!

I'm all for bringing in as many DTs as it takes. I still want another pass rushing DE. I wanted Denver to make a run at Freeney but it sounds like the Colts might hold onto him after all. One more pass rusher gives us that Giants way to beat Brady on paper at least. Also we need a cover LB in the worst way.

Bmore Manning
03-30-2012, 08:51 AM
I'm all for bringing in as many DTs as it takes. I still want another pass rushing DE. I wanted Denver to make a run at Freeney but it sounds like the Colts might hold onto him after all. One more pass rusher gives us that Giants way to beat Brady on paper at least. Also we need a cover LB in the worst way.

I really think @25 the better value could be a guy like Mercilus. I'm not big on many of the first round DTs. If they got Okoye, you would think he and Ayers would be pass rushers from inside. And Denver had interest in Abraham.. As far as Freeney goes, he's not worth 19 million, so he may be cut. I'd offer him 19 million over 3 years and extend that contract. But they want a high draft pick.

eddie mac
03-30-2012, 08:52 AM

Henderson retired last week.

TonyR
03-30-2012, 08:55 AM
Henderson retired last week.

I think that's incorrect.

Henderson was released with a failed physical designation. He missed the final three games of the 2011 season with a knee injury. Henderson ended up only starting five games in two years after originally signing with the Raiders in June 2010, but was still an elite run stuffer as a part-time player in 2011. He'll draw interest on the open market. Mar 14 - 2:06 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1432/john-henderson

Bronco Rob
03-30-2012, 08:59 AM
Are we laughing at the victims? Has one disparaging remark been made about the kids. No! We are laughing at that a-hole Sandusky you dumb bastard.

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa444/Paxil_Rose/jerrysandusky_boychase-1.gif

???

Gcver2ver3
03-30-2012, 09:00 AM
I think that's incorrect.

Henderson was released with a failed physical designation. He missed the final three games of the 2011 season with a knee injury. Henderson ended up only starting five games in two years after originally signing with the Raiders in June 2010, but was still an elite run stuffer as a part-time player in 2011. He'll draw interest on the open market. Mar 14 - 2:06 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1432/john-henderson

John Henderson announced his retirement a handful of days ago...

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/46840461/ns/sports-player_news/

eddie mac
03-30-2012, 10:07 AM

Thankyou.

barryr
03-30-2012, 10:10 AM
Let's hope the Broncos have a serious plan about the DT spot and stop the bandaid approach, which has been the case for the last decade.

Bmore Manning
03-30-2012, 10:33 AM
Let's hope the Broncos have a serious plan about the DT spot and stop the bandaid approach, which has been the case for the last decade.

The bigger issue is the draft prospects that some are advocating for..
The scheme fit is the big issue.

bendog
03-30-2012, 11:33 AM
Mr. Sandusky, what are you doing here?

I'm applying for a job as a wash room attendant.

Mr. Sandusky, this is a JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL!

I know.

barryr
03-30-2012, 11:55 AM

True, scheme matters, but so does talent. You can't scheme to hide major weaknesses forever.

Requiem
03-30-2012, 12:01 PM

And what players do you have issues with the Broncos taking?

TonyR
03-30-2012, 12:03 PM

The news on this is very mixed:

It was reported by various Bay Area sports columnists via Twitter that “Big” John Henderson had announced his retirement. It was also listed on the STATS LLC website, which is owned and operated by the Associated Press. The defensive tackle that was cut by the Oakland Raiders earlier this week has made no such announcement.

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/update_john_henderson_retirement_announcement_prem ature/10387924

eddie mac
03-31-2012, 05:30 AM
Updated as at 30 March 2012

Lycan
03-31-2012, 05:38 AM
Mr. Sandusky, what are you doing here?

I'm applying for a job as a wash room attendant.

Mr. Sandusky, this is a JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL!

I know.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ld623ur3XM1qdn29m.gif

Shananahan
03-31-2012, 08:16 AM
I wonder how much neg rep ozomulsion has handed out in this thread.

Lestat
03-31-2012, 08:54 AM
i'm not worried about scheme, this coaching staff as a whole has shown they will mesh their scheme with the talent they have.
i don't care about does the person fit, i care if he's the most talented player and they can help build around them.
Von didn't fit the scheme last season but he was BPA and they found the best way to use him even though most felt he was best suited for a 3-4 defense.
you don't take a NT because he fits when a top tier DT who might not is still on the board and rated higher.

baja
03-31-2012, 08:59 AM
It must be fun if you are a Patriots fan;

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

Jonathan Fanene DE to New England Patriots 3 year deal includes $3.85m SB

Steve Gregory SS to New England, 3 years $8.5m, $3.5m guaranteed

Matt Slater WR re-signs

Dan Connolly OG re-signs

Trevor Scott DE/OLB to New England Patriots 1 year deal

Brandon Lloyd WR to New England Patriots, 3 years $15.5m

Daniel Fells TE to New England Patriots, 3 year deal

Anthony Gonzalez WR to New England Patriots

Donte Stallworth WR to New England Patriots, 1 year deal

Robert Gallery OG to New England Patriots

Marquice Cole CB to New England Patriots, 1 year deal

Will Allen CB to New England Patriots, 1 year deal

Deon Branch WR re-signs, 1 year deal

Spencer Larsen FB to New England Patriots, 2 year deal

Matt Light OT, expected to retire

Tony Fiammetta FB, to New England Patriots,

barryr
03-31-2012, 10:13 AM
It must be fun if you are a Patriots fan;

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

Jonathan Fanene DE to New England Patriots 3 year deal includes $3.85m SB

Steve Gregory SS to New England, 3 years $8.5m, $3.5m guaranteed

Matt Slater WR re-signs

Dan Connolly OG re-signs

Trevor Scott DE/OLB to New England Patriots 1 year deal

Brandon Lloyd WR to New England Patriots, 3 years $15.5m

Daniel Fells TE to New England Patriots, 3 year deal

Anthony Gonzalez WR to New England Patriots

Donte Stallworth WR to New England Patriots, 1 year deal

Robert Gallery OG to New England Patriots

Marquice Cole CB to New England Patriots, 1 year deal

Will Allen CB to New England Patriots, 1 year deal

Deon Branch WR re-signs, 1 year deal

Spencer Larsen FB to New England Patriots, 2 year deal

Matt Light OT, expected to retire

Tony Fiammetta FB, to New England Patriots,

And they have two 1st round picks and two 2nd round picks too. Broncos should look to trade down with them and get an extra pick.

bendog
04-02-2012, 09:53 AM
"Hey, Kid. Did yah drop that quarter?"

"No Sir, Mr. Sandusky."

"Well, bend over and pick it up for me, will yah? My back's killin me."

Shananahan
04-02-2012, 12:26 PM
"Hey kid, you want to take a shower?"

"No sir, Mr. Sandusky."

"Well get in the shower anyway, will ya? I want to rape you."

Bmore Manning
04-02-2012, 12:35 PM
And what players do you have issues with the Broncos taking?

I personally only like Cox in the first round at DT.
Still and Worthy are not consistent enough for me and both represent larger UTs who can't penetrate like Cox.

I think they should trade down for two second round picks and take Thompson. I just think Thompson is the most complete DT.

Bmore Manning
04-02-2012, 12:37 PM
i'm not worried about scheme, this coaching staff as a whole has shown they will mesh their scheme with the talent they have.
i don't care about does the person fit, i care if he's the most talented player and they can help build around them.
Von didn't fit the scheme last season but he was BPA and they found the best way to use him even though most felt he was best suited for a 3-4 defense.
you don't take a NT because he fits when a top tier DT who might not is still on the board and rated higher.

I'm mainly referring to one year wonders and guys with some question marks. I don't like Worthy at all and most love him @25. I really only like cox @25. Still wouldn't make me mad, but I have concerns.

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
04-02-2012, 02:53 PM
all i know is we need DEFENSE im tired of seeing the Qb sitting back all day long picking Denver apart and our guys flailing about not even getting in the same area code as the QB . no more CB time to get some up front studs .
say it with me front office WE NEED TO DRAFT PEOPLE THAT CAN RUSH THE QB DO IT NOW !!

Drunken.Broncoholic
04-02-2012, 03:22 PM
DTs won't rack up a bunch of sacks. I think Ngata is the best in the game and he only had 5 sacks last year. They do eat up blockers for dumervil and miller to attack the QB and stuff that inside run where Mays is waiting to miss the tackle behind them. Cox or brockers will do just fine for me at 25.

Lestat
04-02-2012, 04:45 PM
NT and DT are different things. Wilfork,Ngata & guys like them are NT's.
Suh,Docket,Seymour & etc are DT's.

a NT takes up a lot of space, eats up blockers, forces double teams and keeps the LB's with clean shots to the QB.

a DT is more of a bigger run stopping DE with a different gap integrity coverage.
DTs won't rack up a bunch of sacks. I think Ngata is the best in the game and he only had 5 sacks last year. They do eat up blockers for dumervil and miller to attack the QB and stuff that inside run where Mays is waiting to miss the tackle behind them. Cox or brockers will do just fine for me at 25.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-02-2012, 04:51 PM
all i know is we need DEFENSE im tired of seeing the Qb sitting back all day long picking Denver apart and our guys flailing about not even getting in the same area code as the QB . no more CB time to get some up front studs .
say it with me front office WE NEED TO DRAFT PEOPLE THAT CAN RUSH THE QB DO IT NOW !!

We had 41 last year and a useless Miller after he got hurt. It could be worse. No team gets constant pressure.

lonestar
04-02-2012, 05:10 PM
it is a rare DT taht gets a sack.. a few more will get some pressure up the gut, but at most will flush the QB out for someone else to clean up..

That is unless your playing the Giants and all of theirs have to be accounted for every play but then they also have depth that is better than our starters..

I'll only hope that EFX will take a good look at what they are doing and copy it..

eddie mac
04-04-2012, 03:45 PM
Updated as of today.

Cito Pelon
04-04-2012, 04:27 PM
True, scheme matters, but so does talent. You can't scheme to hide major weaknesses forever.

That's what Indy tried to do with Peyton Manning. Hopefully Denver doesn't make the same mistake.

Punisher
04-04-2012, 04:29 PM
The Sandusky jokes aren't funny i think god is looking down on you guys with a face palm

Cito Pelon
04-04-2012, 04:52 PM
We had 41 last year and a useless Miller after he got hurt. It could be worse. No team gets constant pressure.

Denver's LB's and DB's are the problem, same as it's been for a long time. Also the DT's. Denver's D can be picked on galore by the good teams. Wherever you want to pick on them, they can be had.

With Dawkins they were much better overall because he cleans up bad plays by other guys, takes the correct angle, makes the one-on-one tackle doesn't need help. Our other safeties, they don't make that one-on-one tackle or take the wrong angle (Carter is a decent tackler, not a good coverage guy). The LB's, been bad for years. DJ is the best and he's just an average kind of guy. Von Miller was one-dimensional, hopefully he'll get better at actually playing linebacker instead of just a pass-rusher.

They've improved at CB with Porter, he's not afraid to tackle, unlike Goodman. Mike Adams, meh.

Nine INT's all last year even with a decent passrush from Elvis and Miller, maybe Porter will increase that, maybe. DT's? Would be nice to have a couple of studs.

TonyR
04-05-2012, 06:50 AM
A good read on Mike Adams linked below.

...Adams brings a mixture of skills to the Broncos. He wasn’t really looking for a new team to move to, but surprisingly, Cleveland didn’t make him an offer. What’s strange about that is that Cleveland has been weak in the secondary for the past few years and Adams has been, according to reports out of Cleveland, one of the few consistent players they’ve had. He started 16 games for them last year. He’s also been a special teams ace despite his age and has proved to be a top mentor for the younger players around him, a reputation that had to play into the Broncos’ interest in him considering the age of their safeties other than Brian Dawkins. Denver signed Adams on March 15 to a two-year, $4 million contract with $2 million in guarantees.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/broncography-mike-adams

TonyR
04-05-2012, 06:52 AM
Okoye?

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/prime-cuts/slice/amobi-okoye-mystery-continues-but-will-supposedly-sign-with-someone-soon

Drek
04-05-2012, 07:07 AM
Okoye?

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/prime-cuts/slice/amobi-okoye-mystery-continues-but-will-supposedly-sign-with-someone-soon

We should have a strong sell regardless of money offered. He would reunite with Doom, have another elite rusher to assure absolutely zero double teams for him, we're his best chance to return to an every down starting role, and we offer a good shot at the playoffs.

pricejj
04-05-2012, 08:32 AM
Okoye?

It would be nice to sign Okoye...he is a legitimate starting UT, and an upgrade from Marcus Thomas.

It would free the Broncos up to pick BPA throughout the draft.

I would think the Broncos could offer a 2 year $6M contract.

p7superfly
04-05-2012, 08:36 AM
Okoye makes this a complete offseason. We get him?

!Booya!

I didn't even think he'd really be available.

Lestat
04-05-2012, 02:35 PM
would love that signing. he's young and can still be developed.

DBroncos4life
04-05-2012, 02:45 PM
A good read on Mike Adams linked below.

...Adams brings a mixture of skills to the Broncos. He wasn’t really looking for a new team to move to, but surprisingly, Cleveland didn’t make him an offer. What’s strange about that is that Cleveland has been weak in the secondary for the past few years and Adams has been, according to reports out of Cleveland, one of the few consistent players they’ve had. He started 16 games for them last year. He’s also been a special teams ace despite his age and has proved to be a top mentor for the younger players around him, a reputation that had to play into the Broncos’ interest in him considering the age of their safeties other than Brian Dawkins. Denver signed Adams on March 15 to a two-year, $4 million contract with $2 million in guarantees.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/broncography-mike-adams

I think he is been a very under the radar signing for us.

Bmore Manning
04-05-2012, 04:07 PM
I think he is been a very under the radar signing for us.

^This... Adams is quietly a good all around player!

baja
04-05-2012, 04:26 PM
^This... Adams is quietly a good all around player!

I give it three weeks until Adams morphs into the steal of FA.

We just got the two best FAs ever>>>>>>>

DBroncos4life
04-05-2012, 04:33 PM

Sure, more like we got a guy that doesn't make a lot of mistakes in coverage which we have been lacking from our safeties for awhile now. No one will mistake him for Ed Reed or Troy Paulamallumulalabighair. We just need an average to above average guy back there and he fits the mold.

pricejj
04-05-2012, 04:41 PM

He's better than anything the Broncos already have, and Reggie Nelson wasn't going anywhere as a UFA (he stayed with the Bengals).

They need Bdawk back...but don't have room. The Broncos would have to cut Bruton, which isn't a good idea.

baja
04-05-2012, 04:51 PM
He's better than anything the Broncos already have, and Reggie Nelson wasn't going anywhere as a UFA (he stayed with the Bengals).

They need Bdawk back...but don't have room. The Broncos would have to cut Bruton, which isn't a good idea.

Oh I think we got a solid player I was alluding to what usually happens around here in the weeks following a signing of a player.

I remember when Shanahan's offense was going to allow the Browncos to become all become pro bowlers.

DBroncos4life
04-05-2012, 04:54 PM
Oh I think we got a solid player I was alluding to what usually happens around here in the weeks following a signing of a player.

I remember when Shanahan's offense was going to allow the Browncos to become all become pro bowlers.

He was our first FA signed and there has been little to no talk about him at all from what I have seen.

Requiem
04-05-2012, 04:56 PM
Nobody ever said the Cleveland lineman would become Pro-Bowlers here. Everyone mocked those signings.

pricejj
04-05-2012, 05:01 PM

I can't fault people for being eternal optimists...

But, Xanders still can't draft for crap. I thought Elway was supposed to protect the franchise from Xanders annual draft fiascos. I give it a 50% chance the comissioner picks up the phone when it's the Broncos pick.

...not that that has anything to do with Adams or the Browncos...I guess I'm still mad about Rahim Moore...I was hoping he could actually play in the NFL. The fact we can't resign BDawk just to keep his sorry ass on board is weak.

baja
04-05-2012, 05:11 PM
He was our first FA signed and there has been little to no talk about him at all from what I have seen.

I know but it's starting now. That's what I sayin. In three weeks the board will have him built up to be an all pro that we stole from his previous team. ;D

baja
04-05-2012, 05:23 PM

But, Xanders still can't draft for crap. I thought Elway was supposed to protect the franchise from Xanders annual draft fiascos. I give it a 50% chance the comissioner picks up the phone when it's the Broncos pick.

...not that that has anything to do with Adams or the Browncos...I guess I'm still mad about Rahim Moore...I was hoping he could actually play in the NFL.

For sure. I just get a kick reading how a player grows (in the eyes of many here) in stature once we sign or draft him. We talk ourselves into believing he is better than we first thought. I am guilty of doing this too. ;D

DBroncos4life
04-05-2012, 05:32 PM
For sure. I just get a kick reading how a player grows (in the eyes of many here) in stature once we sign or draft him. We talk ourselves into believing he is better than we first thought. I am guilty of doing this too. ;D

No one is talking him up dude. He is better then what we have going for us right now and that is it.

DENVERDUI55
04-05-2012, 05:36 PM

...not that that has anything to do with Adams or the Browncos...I guess I'm still mad about Rahim Moore...I was hoping he could actually play in the NFL. The fact we can't resign BDawk just to keep his sorry ass on board is weak.

If Adams even gives us average S play it would be a huge upgrade.

baja
04-05-2012, 05:43 PM
No one is talking him up dude. He is better then what we have going for us right now and that is it.

Jesus It's like talking to a rock.

I said (jokingly) "It's starting" - in like the talk has started that he is better than we collectively thought when the move was made and maybe by next week he'll be even better.....

It was an off the cuff (humorous) observation that now I have spent way more time on than I wanted to.

DBroncos4life
04-05-2012, 05:46 PM
Jesus It's like talking to a rock.

I said (jokingly) "It's starting" - in like the talk has started that he is better than we collectively thought when the move as made and maybe by next week he'll be even better.....

It was an off the cuff (humorous) observation that now I have spent way more time on than I wanted to.

Yes because two people talking about him a guy we signed almost a month ago is the start of his hype train. :thumbsup: Maybe by next week it will be up to 4 people talking about him. :spit:

TonyR
04-05-2012, 05:52 PM
But, Xanders still can't draft for crap.

You really think Xanders is calling the shots? I'm sure he has a voice but I don't think he's been the guy making the ultimate decisions the past few years.

Rohirrim
04-05-2012, 06:11 PM
Come on, Broncos! Sign Okoye. Do it in memory of Mock. ;D

pricejj
04-05-2012, 06:13 PM
You really think Xanders is calling the shots? I'm sure he has a voice but I don't think he's been the guy making the ultimate decisions the past few years.

I know that Xanders uses McDaniels system for player evaluation. He still uses the terms "personnel groupings" and "value signings". The lost value in draft trades hasn't changed. When Shanahan was here, Xanders was a cap guy, he learned everything he knows about being the "GM" from McDaniels. I am pretty sure, he and the player personnel department develop a presentation to give to Elway and Fox regarding college/pro player evaluation...all the information presented in that evaluation is entirely up to Xanders. Elway and Fox just have to sign off, and they have to trust Xanders opinion, because they haven't done the homework like he has.

Smilin Assassin
04-05-2012, 06:15 PM
I know that Xanders uses McDaniels system for player evaluation. He still uses the terms "personnel groupings" and "value signings". The lost value in draft trades hasn't changed. When Shanahan was here, Xanders was a cap guy, he learned everything he knows about being the "GM" from McDaniels. I am pretty sure, he and the player personnel department develop a presentation to give to Elway and Fox regarding college/pro player evaluation...all the information presented in that evaluation is entirely up to Xanders. Elway and Fox just have to sign off, and they have to trust Xanders opinion, because they haven't done the homework like he has.

Still a rather large reach on your part.

Is this a personal vendetta? Was Xanders late w/your pizza yet still charged full price?

pricejj
04-05-2012, 06:34 PM
There is no reason to draft a #1 ranked, and #2 ranked safety (Moore and Carter) in a terrible draft for safeties...then cutting a former 2nd round pick (McBath), because there's not enough room on the roster.

There is also no reason to leave the team devoid of DT's (losing the prior years 2 starters)...with a contingency plan of "Justin Bannan".

Xanders heard it was a deep year for DT's in the draft, so by god, he's going to make sure we draft one in the 1st round at all costs.

After all, why sign Soliai or Bunkley, when you could have Jerel Worthy for only $2M?...that is Xanders logic for you.

Requiem
04-05-2012, 06:40 PM
hell yeah xanders.

worthy for 2 million == more pizzas for the team

pricejj
04-05-2012, 06:41 PM
Hilarious!hell yeah xanders.

worthy for 2 million == more pizzas for the team

TonyR
04-05-2012, 06:46 PM
There is no reason...

Again, we don't know that Xanders is the guy who made these calls.

baja
04-05-2012, 06:50 PM
There is no reason to draft a #1 ranked, and #2 ranked safety (Moore and Carter) in a terrible draft for safeties...then cutting a former 2nd round pick (McBath), because there's not enough room on the roster.

There is also no reason to leave the team devoid of DT's (losing the prior years 2 starters)...with a contingency plan of "Justin Bannan".

Xanders heard it was a deep year for DT's in the draft, so by god, he's going to make sure we draft one in the 1st round at all costs.

After all, why sign Soliai or Bunkley, when you could have Jerel Worthy for only $2M?...that is Xanders logic for you.

X is over rated in his degree of power. His body language says he's "the smart kid that knows stuff". EF value his opinion and ask for it. When they hear what he has to say than they send him out for pizza and Fox and Elway sit down and make a decision.

Tombstone RJ
04-05-2012, 06:53 PM

how do you "know" this stuff? What do you mean by "pretty sure"?

Tombstone RJ
04-05-2012, 06:56 PM
Elway should be in all the meetings with the scouts so he can hear player evaluation from them. I don't believe that Xanders is the only guy who hears this stuff and then brings some abbreviated report to Elway and Fox to sign off on.

I bet Xanders is in the scout meetings with Elway.

pricejj
04-05-2012, 06:59 PM
X is over rated in his degree of power. His body language says he's "the smart kid that knows stuff". EF value his opinion and ask for it. When they hear what he has to say than they send him out for pizza and Fox and Elway sit down and make a decision.

Elway sure as hell doesn't sit down and evaluate every position of need in the draft. Hell, he doesn't even know the players names. Elway did his job by bringing in Manning, and that's great.

The "Von Miller Pick"...yeah that was everybody.
The 1st pick in the 2012 draft, I'm sure Fox/Del Rio will have a big say in that.

The rest of it falls primarily on the GM's shoulders...and that is the one and only Brian "Pizza Man" Xanders.

pricejj
04-05-2012, 07:05 PM
Elway should be in all the meetings with the scouts so he can hear player evaluation from them. I don't believe that Xanders is the only guy who hears this stuff and then brings some abbreviated report to Elway and Fox to sign off on.

I bet Xanders is in the scout meetings with Elway.

Do you really think Elway is that involved? I've never heard him rattle off free agency and draft crap like Xanders does.

I know he was the main guy when it came to evaluating QB's, and I know he is here to "protect the franchise", but I don't think it's his job to try to evaluate if Devon Still, Jerel Worthy, or Kendall Reyes is a better player...It's not his job to evaluate talent on the roster, and decide what direction to go in the draft. I've heard Xanders explain several times...the coaches tell us (the personnel dept.) what they need, and we find the best players to fit that need.

If he isn't the GM, then nobody told him.

Bmore Manning
04-05-2012, 07:16 PM

LOL!

CHANGSTER
04-05-2012, 07:16 PM
Imagine a passing down 4 man rush of Doom-Okoye-Ayers-Von

I like

DENVERDUI55
04-05-2012, 07:23 PM
Do you really think Elway is that involved? I've never heard him rattle off free agency and draft crap like Xanders does.

I know he was the main guy when it came to evaluating QB's, and I know he is here to "protect the franchise", but I don't think it's his job to try to evaluate if Devon Still, Jerel Worthy, or Kendall Reyes is a better player.

You should call Elway and tell him about Crick and Branch.

DBroncos4life
04-05-2012, 08:01 PM

We all know price would get upset and try and delete Elway.

Tombstone RJ
04-05-2012, 08:05 PM

I know he was the main guy when it came to evaluating QB's, and I know he is here to "protect the franchise", but I don't think it's his job to try to evaluate if Devon Still, Jerel Worthy, or Kendall Reyes is a better player...It's not his job to evaluate talent on the roster, and decide what direction to go in the draft. I've heard Xanders explain several times...the coaches tell us (the personnel dept.) what they need, and we find the best players to fit that need.

If he isn't the GM, then nobody told him.

I'm pretty sure Elway has final say on all football operations so if the draft stinks it ultimately falls on his shoulders so yah, I'm sure he listens to scouts, especially on the early draft picks like say, Von Miller.

Again, how do you know the stuff you are proclaiming to know?

pricejj
04-05-2012, 08:06 PM

Xanders has backed himself into a corner, and doesn't have the balls. I told you he goes off Mayock/nfldraftscout rankings

Mayock has Worthy ranked as his #2 DT, so I bet Xanders will pick him.

How do you think we ended up with Moreno and Ayers? That's right...both ranked #1 by Mayock.

Requiem
04-05-2012, 08:07 PM
. . . wow

oubronco
04-05-2012, 08:08 PM
Oh good grief

DBroncos4life
04-05-2012, 08:15 PM
Xanders has backed himself into a corner, and doesn't have the balls. I told you he goes off Mayock/nfldraftscout rankings

Mayock has Worthy ranked as his #2 DT, so I bet Xanders will pick him.

How do you think we ended up with Moreno and Ayers? That's right...both ranked #1 by Mayock.

In before this gets deleted :spit:

pricejj
04-05-2012, 08:21 PM
I'm pretty sure Elway has final say on all football operations so if the draft stinks it ultimately falls on his shoulders so yah, I'm sure he listens to scouts, especially on the early draft picks like say, Von Miller.

Again, how do you know the stuff you are proclaiming to know?

Yeah of course, they all had a say in Von Miller...

Do you think Elway can tell you about Alshon Jeffrey, or Robert Turbin? How about Derek Wolfe or Jerry Franklin? No way in hell.

Nalen and Schlereth couldn't even talk to Elway, you think Elway is on the phone right now with Justin Bannan trying to get him to sign? No way, it's Xanders.

DBroncos4life
04-05-2012, 08:23 PM

Do you think Elway can tell you about Alshon Jeffrey, or Robert Turbin? How about Derek Wolfe or Jerry Franklin? No way in hell.

Nalen and Schlereth couldn't even talk to Elway, you think Elway is on the phone right now with Justin Bannan trying to get him to sign? No way, it's Xanders.

Yeah I remember all those pictures of Xanders and Fox hosting Manning....

Tombstone RJ
04-05-2012, 08:30 PM

Again, how do you know what Elway is or is not doing? I do know this, he has final say on all football operations which includes the draft, FA, coaches and scouts. In other words, he has to know what is going on.

Is he on the phone to FAs? I don't know, ask Manning how that works. Is he in meetings with scouts? I have no proof he is or he isn't but I seriously doubt he leaves it all up to Xanders.

If Elway isn't involved in this stuff, what the hell IS he doing?

DBroncos4life
04-05-2012, 08:33 PM
Again, how do you know what Elway is or is not doing? I do know this, he has final say on all football operations which includes the draft, FA, coaches and scouts. In other words, he has to know what is going on.

Is he on the phone to FAs? I don't know, ask Manning how that works. Is he in meetings with scouts? I have no proof he is or he isn't but I seriously doubt he leaves it all up to Xanders.

If Elway isn't involved in this stuff, what the hell IS he doing?

We know for a fact that handled the Manning thing hands on. We know for a fact that he has flown to watch QBs either play or watch them throw at their pro days. It's retarded to think that Elways doesn't know whats going on.

oubronco
04-05-2012, 08:33 PM
jj will be along to tell you in a minute

http://youjivinmeturkey.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/jj.jpg

pricejj
04-05-2012, 08:50 PM
I think it goes something like this:

1. Del Rio and Fox evaluate the defense (along with the positional coaches),
2. Del Rio is like, "Man, Bunkley and Thomas are pretty good, lets resign them, but we need more". Fox says, "Yeah, you're right".
3. Fox tells Xanders, "We have Bunkley graded pretty high, try to resign him and Thomas, and we can draft one".
4. Xanders and the new cap guru lowball Bunkley, pissing him off.
5. Xanders and Keith Kidd peruse the list of free agents, and come up with Paul Soliai, thinking they will give him $6M.
6. Xanders gets it checked off by Elway and Fox, then calls Soliai to schedule a visit. Soliai uses the Broncos offer to have the Dolphins match.
7. Xanders ups Bunkley's offer, which Bunkley uses to have the Saints match.
8. Xanders and Matt Russell (who, incidentally is credited with convincing Pioli to draft Cassel) come up with a DT draft plan and present it to Elway, Fox, and Del Rio. Targeting a starting DT.
9. Xanders then attempts to resign Marcus Thomas, with an offer lower than Bunkley's lowball.
10. Marcus Thomas thinks he is worth the same as Bunkley, and bounces.
11. Xanders ignores Okoye for an unknown reason.
12. In desperation, Xanders brings in Justin Bannan for backup, knowing he won't be able to find 3 DT's in the draft.
13. Tonight: Xanders makes plans to draft a DT in the first round, at all costs, while eating a delicious pizza.

pricejj
04-05-2012, 09:05 PM
Yeah I remember all those pictures of Xanders and Fox hosting Manning....

Don't be stupid.

Elway is the only reason we have Manning, and I bet he meets with all the free agents when they come in. He is the VP of football operations. He is like the CEO of a medium sized company. He isn't going to watch hours and hours of film on the 8th rated ILB in the draft, nor should he. He is here to protect the organization and bring respectability.

He is the big gun, here for big decisions...like finding a head coach...finding a franchise QB...meeting with prospective free agents...helping to determine who we should pick in the 1st round...being the face of the organization, interacting with the community, and within NFL circles.

Frosty78
04-06-2012, 11:38 AM
Rams reached agreement on a one-year deal with former Titans DE William Hayes, who reunites with Jeff Fisher.

Drunken.Broncoholic
04-06-2012, 11:43 AM
Don't be stupid.

Elway is the only reason we have Manning, and I bet he meets with all the free agents when they come in. He is the VP of football operations. He is like the CEO of a medium sized company. He isn't going to watch hours and hours of film on the 8th rated ILB in the draft, nor should he. He is here to protect the organization and bring respectability.

He is the big gun, here for big decisions...like finding a head coach...finding a franchise QB...meeting with prospective free agents...helping to determine who we should pick in the 1st round...being the face of the organization, interacting with the community, and within NFL circles.

I think John Fox's coaching style and the fact Manning can have his way on offense had a lot to do with the decision too.

RaiderH8r
04-06-2012, 12:07 PM
I know but it's starting now. That's what I sayin. In three weeks the board will have him built up to be an all pro that we stole from his previous team. ;D

Our mental gymnastics to justify moves can go unrivaled at times.

pricejj
04-06-2012, 12:24 PM
I think John Fox's coaching style and the fact Manning can have his way on offense had a lot to do with the decision too.

Very true...it was the complete package.

Drek
04-06-2012, 12:26 PM
Don't be stupid.

Elway seems pretty damn involved in the draft man. Much like Xanders and Fox he relies on the scouts and positional coaches to evaluate talent. Xanders obviously builds the big board but I'm sure Elway and Fox move names wherever they want once he's done. Elway doesn't sit through the entire draft just to manage from on high. He doesn't fly to pro days just to manage from on high. He's making his own evaluations and not just of the players. How else do you think he can grade Xanders and our scouting department?

pricejj
04-06-2012, 04:21 PM
Elway seems pretty damn involved in the draft man. Much like Xanders and Fox he relies on the scouts and positional coaches to evaluate talent. Xanders obviously builds the big board but I'm sure Elway and Fox move names wherever they want once he's done. Elway doesn't sit through the entire draft just to manage from on high. He doesn't fly to pro days just to manage from on high. He's making his own evaluations and not just of the players. How else do you think he can grade Xanders and our scouting department?

I have no doubt that Elway is involved in the draft, and day to day operations, on some level. I'm just not sure how deep it goes. I suppose, as time goes on, and he becomes more familiar with player evaluation, he would be able to provide more input. I guess we will find out more, the closer it gets to the draft.

DENVERDUI55
04-06-2012, 04:26 PM

You mean elway is more involved than playing madden with the broncos?

Chris
04-06-2012, 04:51 PM
I have no doubt that Elway is involved in the draft, and day to day operations, on some level. I'm just not sure how deep it goes. I suppose, as time goes on, and he becomes more familiar with player evaluation, he would be able to provide more input. I guess we will find out more, the closer it gets to the draft.

I think he has the ability to "analyse the data" as it were on top of what he knows from his experience as a QB (which relates to the "this is a passing league" mentality).

pricejj
04-06-2012, 05:04 PM
I think he has the ability to "analyse the data" as it were on top of what he knows from his experience as a QB (which relates to the "this is a passing league" mentality).

Yeah, that's what I'm saying...he knows what works and what doesn't. I like the way they can bounce ideas off each other.without ego's getting involved. It gives me hope for the future of the Broncos.

Lestat
04-06-2012, 05:26 PM
he has to be very deeply involved. Xanders himself said the draft board nearly doubled in size from when McDaniels was there.
and Elway was obsessed about mentioning draft value and not getting too antsy and over drafting a guy.
he isn't just standing in the background and holding a clipboard. he's involved heavily and it's no coincidence that we had arguably our best draft since 2006 which was the best draft in the Shanahan era.

cutthemdown
04-06-2012, 05:32 PM
he has to be very deeply involved. Xanders himself said the draft board nearly doubled in size from when McDaniels was there.
and Elway was obsessed about mentioning draft value and not getting too antsy and over drafting a guy.
he isn't just standing in the background and holding a clipboard. he's involved heavily and it's no coincidence that we had arguably our best draft since 2006 which was the best draft in the Shanahan era.

Elway wouldn't just be a figurehead. He knows the perception is he is making the moves. That means he will be held accountable. Also he is super competitive so I doubt he would be a sideline sitter type.

I bet Elway has final say, but he is smart, he listens to everyone, leans on his scouting services, and then decides.

Lestat
04-06-2012, 05:57 PM
i agree with that, he had final say and he has experience in the AFL with the Crush. but as you said i'm sure he leans on his football people heavily and makes the final call.
Elway wouldn't just be a figurehead. He knows the perception is he is making the moves. That means he will be held accountable. Also he is super competitive so I doubt he would be a sideline sitter type.

I bet Elway has final say, but he is smart, he listens to everyone, leans on his scouting services, and then decides.