PDA

View Full Version : Free Agency Kick Off - Manning, Caldwell, Porter, Adams, Dreesen, Hanie and Tamme signed

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

Rolandftw
03-18-2012, 11:36 PM
It works if you have the best defense in the NFL. If you feel you can build a Baltimore Ravens/49ers defense, then yes you can win the Super Bowl. But still, it is more difficult and the less likely path for a Super Bowl.

Great rushing attacks usually are so, at least in part, because of good to great QB's. There's certainly exceptions, but usually a team needs to be able to do both to field a Super Bowl caliber club.

Same think in the NBA. Can you win without a superstar? Yes, it has happened but you need to be top ten in every position, have a great bench.. and have a lot of things go your way.

Bronco Rob
03-18-2012, 11:39 PM
It works if you have the best defense in the NFL. If you feel you can build a Baltimore Ravens/49ers defense, then yes you can win the Super Bowl. But still, it is more difficult and the less likely path for a Super Bowl.

Great rushing attacks usually are so, at least in part, because of good to great QB's. There's certainly exceptions, but usually a team needs to be able to do both to field a Super Bowl caliber club.

Same think in the NBA. Can you win without a superstar? Yes, it has happened but you need to be top ten in every position, have a great bench.. and have a lot of things go your way.

What superstars can we draft at 25?

DBroncos4life
03-19-2012, 12:10 AM

Mike Wallace

Cito Pelon
03-19-2012, 12:45 AM
Mike Wallace

Don't make me laugh.

broncocalijohn
03-19-2012, 01:14 AM
If we take Weeden at 25 I'm done with Broncos football. I know that sounds like something a candy ass like TonyR MacGruber would say, but let's get real.

If we aren't a real FO, you can't expect me to be a real fan.

If so, take Punisher with you. He was supposed to be gone a few seasons ago and he never left. We shall see if you bail out before the season even starts.

Archer81
03-19-2012, 02:23 AM

What superstars can you draft 1-223? If we knew who the superstars would be, the draft would be pointless.

:Broncos:

cutthemdown
03-19-2012, 03:19 AM
Its stupid to write draft off because you pick low, its stupid to think its a slam dunk when you pick high. Hopefully a couple of the draft picks end up being good starters. Thats all you can hope for really. Maybe 2-3 guys a year sure things that everyone knows is a stud.

Still plenty of good FA left and more will hit market after draft. We can still find help at inside linebacker and rb.

cutthemdown
03-19-2012, 03:21 AM
Don't make me laugh.

A lot of people thought Welker was a bad move for the Pats, what did they give up a 2nd rounder? That worked out pretty well.

Rohirrim
03-19-2012, 07:44 AM
I'm not even going to say, "I hope we draft a DT at 25" this year. I'm not even going to mention the names of the good, possibly great, DTs that will be available at 25. Why? Because I've been doing that every year for many years and it's futile.

Rother8
03-19-2012, 08:05 AM
Choosing Joe Mays for 3/12 mil over McClain for 3/15 mil would something I would yell at a small child about. Nice one, EFX.

Bronco Rob
03-19-2012, 08:07 AM
Choosing Joe Mays for 3/12 mil over McClain for 3/15 mil would something I would yell at a small child about. Nice one, EFX.

Did he sign with someone?

DENVERDUI55
03-19-2012, 08:18 AM
Mike Wallace

That would be awful if Tebow is the QB.

TonyR
03-19-2012, 08:29 AM
I know that sounds like something a candy ass like TonyR MacGruber would say...

LOL Like a scorned woman since I so badly exposed you.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=3469947#post3469947

Broncojef
03-19-2012, 08:41 AM
We spend money on Mays? What happened to McClain? Guess I'm showing my ignorance but Mays is really worth that much?

DENVERDUI55
03-19-2012, 08:41 AM
Why the hell the Broncos haven't brought in a RB is beyond me. Michael Bush should of been one of the first guys to be brought in.

Rother8
03-19-2012, 08:52 AM
Did he sign with someone?

No, I'm just guessing but it'll probably somewhere in the ball park of that...

gyldenlove
03-19-2012, 08:58 AM
We spend money on Mays? What happened to McClain? Guess I'm showing my ignorance but Mays is really worth that much?

No, no he is not. Spending that much on a guy with backup talent who is not even a good 2 down linebacker is stupid.

lolcopter
03-19-2012, 09:03 AM
That would be awful if Tebow is the QB.

Please explain??

Wallace is a top deep threat in the league and that's the only ball teebs can throw with any ounce of consistency

You're wrong imo

DENVERDUI55
03-19-2012, 09:14 AM
Please explain??

Wallace is a top deep threat in the league and that's the only ball teebs can throw with any ounce of consistency

You're wrong imo

Even though his deep balls are HIS best balls it doesn't mean he is good at it. Waste of a pick and an expensive contract for a guy who is in a Offense that throws 16 times a game only completing 6 or 7 balls a game.

lolcopter
03-19-2012, 09:19 AM
Even though his deep balls are HIS best balls it doesn't mean he is good at it. Waste of a pick and an expensive contract for a guy who is in a Offense that throws 16 times a game only completing 6 or 7 balls a game.

Ok. I understand that reasoning

Drek
03-19-2012, 09:23 AM

McClain hasn't signed anywhere yet.

It is entirely possible that Manning makes his decision today, goes to Tennessee, and we have McClain signed onto the roster within the hour. The FO's hands are tied in that regard because if they do get Manning they have no cash resources to dole out anywhere else. If they lose out on him they're one hell of a big money fish who unfortunately will be trying to feed in what is probably too small of a FA pond.

eddie mac
03-19-2012, 09:23 AM
Tolbert a Panther, 4 year deal

lolcopter
03-19-2012, 09:24 AM

WTF?!?!?!?

laaame

ColoradoBuff
03-19-2012, 09:30 AM

It is entirely possible that Manning makes his decision today, goes to Tennessee, and we have McClain signed onto the roster within the hour. The FO's hands are tied in that regard because if they do get Manning they have no cash resources to dole out anywhere else. If they lose out on him they're one hell of a big money fish who unfortunately will be trying to feed in what is probably too small of a FA pond.

i would hope so Drek.....cuz the signing of Mays does nothing for me! we overpaid for a ST player and backup LB!!

Drek
03-19-2012, 09:30 AM

Ignoring the fact that Wallace simply won't sign here, why do you assume the Broncos will run an offense identical to the mid-season switch they had last year?

Tim Tebow got zero coaching throughout the off-season and pre-season last year. He got zero snaps with the first team all last summer. He didn't get any significant reps at all until the week before facing Miami last year.

It is entirely possible that not only will Tebow mature as a passer this off-season, but that the offensive scheme will mature independently as well.

Obviously some players look better in certain offenses as opposed to others. Many said Rich Gannon couldn't throw for **** until he was in the dink and dunk offense Gruden designed for him in Oakland. Then he was a terror, slicing teams apart. Orton looked weak in Chicago, put up some very solid years numbers-wise under McDaniels, and as soon as McDaniels left he collapsed again. Why do these things happen? Did those players instantly regress?

Of course not. System fit is a huge part of a player's success. So if Tebow can take a few steps forward himself and the offensive coaches can install a system better suited to his strengths as a passer, he could look far better than he did last season, be far more productive than he was last season, and all while still giving us the benefit of his athleticism and late game poise.

Having a deep threat like Mike Wallace would seem like a great step in that direction. Tebow's deep ball is well above league average, so providing him with legit deep threats is key. But there is simply no way Wallace or any other worthwhile WR is signing here until the team proves that we'll have a legit passing offense with Tebow at QB. So the answer would be to address WR in the draft.

Chris
03-19-2012, 09:32 AM
Nice post Drek. Unfortunately I don't think the staff are willing or creative enough to install such a system.

55CrushEm
03-19-2012, 09:33 AM

Awesome! And the hits......errrr misses.....just keep oooonnnnn comin'.

Drek
03-19-2012, 09:35 AM

Wonder what that means for Deangelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart. I can't imagine they're trading or releasing Williams, he got $21M guaranteed just last off-season, so maybe Stewart will hit the trade market. Stewart will be 25 on Wednesday of this week. I'd give a mid-round pick for him.

55CrushEm
03-19-2012, 09:36 AM

But therein lies the problem....right, Drek?

So, by that theory....if we land Manning, we can't land anyone else. BUT MANNING ALONE WON'T WIN US A SUPERBOWL. We needed to go all in to make this work....get Manning, and upgrade the rest of the roster to win NOW.

Point being.....regardless of whether we got Manning or not.....the rest of the roster needs MAJOR upgrades.....AND WE JUST AREN'T DOING IT.

****ing pathetic.

So it sounds like these bozos honestly believe that Manning was the only thing standing between us and the Superbowl?!?! Genius......

Drek
03-19-2012, 09:38 AM
But therein lies the problem....right, Drek?

So, by that theory....if we land Manning, we can't land anyone else. BUT MANNING ALONE WON'T WIN US A SUPERBOWL. We needed to go all in to make this work....get Manning, and upgrade the rest of the roster to win NOW.

Point being.....regardless of whether we got Manning or not.....the rest of the roster needs MAJOR upgrades.....AND WE JUST AREN'T DOING IT.

****ing pathetic.

So it sounds like these bozos honestly believe that Manning was the only thing standing between us and the Superbowl?!?! Genius......

I'm assuming that they're being limited by ownership's willingness to spend, so the goal would be to soak their full budget into Manning this off-season, let the team adapt to him in 2012, and then blow their wad next season when ownership is going to be forced to spend closer to the cap in anticipation of making a strong 2013 run.

Hence why Joe Mays' new contract, while a ridiculous overpay, is effectively a 1 year, $4M deal.

Bronco Rob
03-19-2012, 09:44 AM
Awesome! And the hits......errrr misses.....just keep oooonnnnn comin'.

Are you friggin kidding me! Has Bush signed with anyone yet?

???

ColoradoBuff
03-19-2012, 09:45 AM
Wonder what that means for Deangelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart. I can't imagine they're trading or releasing Williams, he got $21M guaranteed just last off-season, so maybe Stewart will hit the trade market. Stewart will be 25 on Wednesday of this week. I'd give a mid-round pick for him.

would love to pick up Stewart.....don't u think he'd fetch more than a mid-rounde pick? i'm thinking 2nd-3rd round pick.

pricejj
03-19-2012, 09:51 AM
I'm assuming that they're being limited by ownership's willingness to spend, so the goal would be to soak their full budget into Manning this off-season, let the team adapt to him in 2012, and then blow their wad next season when ownership is going to be forced to spend closer to the cap in anticipation of making a strong 2013 run.

Hence why Joe Mays' new contract, while a ridiculous overpay, is effectively a 1 year, $4M deal.

We are not limited by ownership's willingness to spend. We are limited by remaining cap space. If we do end up signing Manning, he will eat up almost all the remaining cap, just like he would have done in Indy ($28M roster bonus, $16M contract in 2012).

There is a reason Indy's roster is heavily depleted...it is PM himself.

Drek
03-19-2012, 09:58 AM
would love to pick up Stewart.....don't u think he'd fetch more than a mid-rounde pick? i'm thinking 2nd-3rd round pick.

I consider a 3rd to be "mid-round". 1st/2nd = early, 3rd/4th/5th = mid, 6th/7th = late.

I'd do our 3rd for sure. I don't know if he gets more than that given how the league now values RBs and he's only got one last year on his deal.

Beantown Bronco
03-19-2012, 09:59 AM
We are not limited by ownership's willingness to spend. We are limited by remaining cap space. If we do end up signing Manning, he will eat up almost all the remaining cap, just like he would have done in Indy ($28M roster bonus, $16M contract in 2012).

Sorry. You're numbers are way off. His contract here will not eat up anywhere near what we have left in cap space.

Broncojef
03-19-2012, 10:02 AM

I thought signing manning would foster building a more solid team behind him. If its one or the other I'd prefer dropping out of the Manning sweepstakes and solidifying the rest of the roster. A Tolbert or Hillis would have been great, McClain, Bunkley etc are neccessities...really hate this off season. I'm cool moving on from Tebow if the rift is too large or if John and Co really don't want him...stop playing the maybe game and shape the team with a pocket passer in the mold of what you really want. Tired of the constant QB drama, I'd rather target a kid this year and be done with it.

DBroncos4life
03-19-2012, 10:06 AM
Don't make me laugh.

He is pretty good and he is the most NFL ready player we can get with the 25th pick.

Drek
03-19-2012, 10:07 AM
I thought signing manning would foster building a more solid team behind him. If its one or the other I'd prefer dropping out of the Manning sweepstakes and solidifying the rest of the roster. A Tolbert or Hillis would have been great, McClain, Bunkley etc are neccessities...really hate this off season. I'm cool moving on from Tebow if the rift is too large or if John and Co really don't want him...stop playing the maybe game and shape the team with a pocket passer in the mold of what you really want. Tired of the constant QB drama, I'd rather target a kid this year and be done with it.

Well they've got him now so hopefully this prompts Bowlen to really open up the checkbook and make **** happen.

The high estimates for his contract are 5 years/$90M, so $18M AAV. We have over $40M in cap space still. The question is if Bowlen is up for cutting Manning a $25M+ check followed by the $10-$15M bonus check Wallace would need, followed by the $10-$15M in other combined up front bonuses given to guys like Clark, Saturday, Bunkley, etc..

All of this would be amortized to fit well within our cap number, its all about how much real money Bowlen wants to hand over this spring.

eddie mac
03-19-2012, 10:11 AM
I can see Stokley getting another shot with us.

Taco John
03-19-2012, 10:12 AM
I can see Stokley getting another shot with us.

Why, we've got Decker.

lolcopter
03-19-2012, 10:19 AM
Broncos need to go full steam ahead on mike Wallace gogogogogogo

pricejj
03-19-2012, 10:36 AM
Sorry. You're numbers are way off. His contract here will not eat up anywhere near what we have left in cap space.

Hopefully they can frontload Manning's contract with about $30M upfront...that will give us enough room to work with.

I'm liking the 5 year contract...that is really good for the Broncos.

eddie mac
03-19-2012, 10:40 AM
Why, we've got Decker.

Shot in camp TJ, we have 3-4 WR's on the roster and Decker's coming back from a serious knee injury.

The Joker
03-19-2012, 10:50 AM
Yeah, we really need some receivers.

We have Decker coming back from injury and DT who has had his issues staying healthy. After that... not a whole lot.

Could see us swinging a trade at some point between now and the draft, all the good FA's are gone.

Tombstone RJ
03-19-2012, 10:54 AM
Meh, the Broncos need to keep building the defense. Manning is nice and he will definitely make the offense better, but it never, ever, ever, ever hurts to have a great defense...

concentrate on the defense Broncos!!

eddie mac
03-19-2012, 11:47 AM
Reports in Denver indicate that Saturday and Dallas Clark will be brought in for visits as soon as this contract is signed.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-19-2012, 11:49 AM
Shot in camp TJ, we have 3-4 WR's on the roster and Decker's coming back from a serious knee injury.

serious knee injury? Did he even have surgery on it? You could be right, i just dont remember

eddie mac
03-19-2012, 12:47 PM
Broncos deals so far

Mike Adams S 2 years $4m, $2m salary in 2012 is guaranteed

Joe Mays MLB 3 years $12m, $4m salary in 2012 is guaranteed

eddie mac
03-19-2012, 01:10 PM
Robert Gallery to the Patriots

LaRon Landry to the Jets

Cito Pelon
03-19-2012, 01:12 PM
He is pretty good and he is the most NFL ready player we can get with the 25th pick.

Well, I guess we'll see what direction MEFX wants to go with the 25. Apparently, PM liked whatever they told him would happen with the team going forward, and maybe Wallace was one of the pieces.

Tombstone RJ
03-19-2012, 01:13 PM
Broncos deals so far

really, that's it huh?

Rohirrim
03-19-2012, 01:13 PM
Broncos deals so far

Uhh

Cito Pelon
03-19-2012, 01:15 PM
Broncos deals so far

I think Dallas Clark is a slam dunk now, so that's one more besides PM.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-19-2012, 01:17 PM
I cant believe we paid joe mays that much

eddie mac
03-19-2012, 01:20 PM
On a positive note we've lost 3 UFA's and only signed 1. That means 2 comp picks as we stand depending on the contracts off course.

Dedhed
03-19-2012, 01:23 PM
Decker's coming back from a serious knee injury.
No he's not.

barryr
03-19-2012, 01:24 PM
I think Dallas Clark is a slam dunk now, so that's one more besides PM.

He is, the Broncos have a need there and I don't think he has that many teams after him.

DENVERDUI55
03-19-2012, 01:24 PM
Are you friggin kidding me! Has Bush signed with anyone yet?

???

No but I have been telling him on Twitter to come here.

eddie mac
03-19-2012, 01:53 PM
No he's not.

Just watched his interview so apologies for that. Good that he's 100% now and ready to go. Regardless though we still need WR's unless people think Hill or Willis are decent enough for the 3-4 punch.

DENVERDUI55
03-19-2012, 01:54 PM
Ignoring the fact that Wallace simply won't sign here, why do you assume the Broncos will run an offense identical to the mid-season switch they had last year?

Tim Tebow got zero coaching throughout the off-season and pre-season last year. He got zero snaps with the first team all last summer. He didn't get any significant reps at all until the week before facing Miami last year.

It is entirely possible that not only will Tebow mature as a passer this off-season, but that the offensive scheme will mature independently as well.

Obviously some players look better in certain offenses as opposed to others. Many said Rich Gannon couldn't throw for **** until he was in the dink and dunk offense Gruden designed for him in Oakland. Then he was a terror, slicing teams apart. Orton looked weak in Chicago, put up some very solid years numbers-wise under McDaniels, and as soon as McDaniels left he collapsed again. Why do these things happen? Did those players instantly regress?

Of course not. System fit is a huge part of a player's success. So if Tebow can take a few steps forward himself and the offensive coaches can install a system better suited to his strengths as a passer, he could look far better than he did last season, be far more productive than he was last season, and all while still giving us the benefit of his athleticism and late game poise.

Having a deep threat like Mike Wallace would seem like a great step in that direction. Tebow's deep ball is well above league average, so providing him with legit deep threats is key. But there is simply no way Wallace or any other worthwhile WR is signing here until the team proves that we'll have a legit passing offense with Tebow at QB. So the answer would be to address WR in the draft.

Because Tebow's mechanics and accuracy are absolutely atrocious and it's not our worry no more. I'd take Wallace now.

Lycan
03-19-2012, 02:04 PM
WTF @ Joe Mays 4 mil per?

Were EFX high? Dude sucks. He shouldn't even be the primary backup.

Steve Prefontaine
03-19-2012, 02:06 PM

Laron Landry 1 year, $4m

mother ****er.

extralife
03-19-2012, 02:15 PM
did we seriously give joe mays $4 million this year

Cito Pelon
03-19-2012, 02:20 PM
Just watched his interview so apologies for that. Good that he's 100% now and ready to go. Regardless though we still need WR's unless people think Hill or Willis are decent enough for the 3-4 punch.

There's a guy named D'Andre Goodwin on the roster. Willis I guess will stick on the roster since he's an RFA. Mark Dell is still on the IR roster and they were grooming him as a returner last year.

I guess they're gonna make some moves at WR. Jerome Simpson is still available, Jerrico Cotchery, and of course Mike Wallace for a 1st rounder.

55CrushEm
03-19-2012, 02:26 PM

Laron Landry 1 year, $4m

mother ****er.

How the **** is Landry not busted for PEDs. Jesus, that guy is on something!

cutthemdown
03-19-2012, 02:42 PM

Laron Landry 1 year, $4m

mother ****er.

You realize Landry has severe leg problems right?

CEH
03-19-2012, 02:58 PM
What would Kameron Wimbly do for this team? Can they have 3 players like that on the field at one time outside of 3rd down

BroncosMT
03-19-2012, 03:16 PM
They discussed on NFL Network aboutSaturday coming in for a visit....also bringing in Clark and Tamme as well as they are both FA.

I was wondering about Joseph Addai? isn't he a FA? anything left?

BroncoBeavis
03-19-2012, 03:16 PM
They discussed on NFL Network aboutSaturday coming in for a visit....also bringing in Clark and Tamme as well as they are both FA.

I was wondering about Joseph Addai? isn't he a FA? anything left?

Was there ever anything there in the first place?

BroncosMT
03-19-2012, 03:23 PM
I thought he was pretty good......I know he has fought through some injuries.....but has been pretty solid

lonestar
03-19-2012, 03:25 PM
On a positive note we've lost 3 UFA's and only signed 1. That means 2 comp picks as we stand depending on the contracts off course.

I doubt we see any comp picks after signing Manning.

THAT IS A NET GAIN IN MOST FOLKS EYES,,

not to mention the folks that will come or be needed to fix the obvious holes for manning

pricejj
03-19-2012, 04:00 PM
Broncos 2012 off-season to-do list:
1. Forget Mike Wallace, he costs too much (~$10M per year).
2. Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, and Anthony Gonzalez were all 1st round picks.
3. Draft Kendall Wright or Stephen Hill in the 1st round (best remaining receiver).
4. Front load Mannings Contract to $30M in 1st year...$16M per year remaining 4 years.
5. Must sign Jeff Saturday ($4.5M), Dallas Clark ($4M), and Brandon Stokely ($1M).
6. Must re-sign Brodrick Bunkley ($4M).
7. Convince Brian Dawkins to come back one more year for $1M.
8. Remaining cap space (~$5M) to be used to sign draft picks.
9. 2nd round draft pick is BPA of DT (Wolfe), or CB.
10. 3rd round draft pick is BPA of WR (McNutt), or TE.
11. Adam Weber and Russell Wilson (5th round pick) compete for backup QB.

yerner
03-19-2012, 04:03 PM
2. Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, and Anthony Gonzalez were all 1st round picks.
3. Draft Kendall Wright or Stephen Hill in the 1st round (best remaining receiver).
4. Front load Mannings Contract to $30M in 1st year...$16M per year remaining 4 years.
5. Must sign Jeff Saturday ($4.5M), Dallas Clark ($4M), and Brandon Stokely ($1M).

A first round wr? No way.

Chris
03-19-2012, 04:09 PM
Vomit at the prospect of Stokley joining. He's done guys. Great guy but he's toast.

eddie mac
03-19-2012, 04:11 PM
I doubt we see any comp picks after signing Manning.

THAT IS A NET GAIN IN MOST FOLKS EYES,,

not to mention the folks that will come or be needed to fix the obvious holes for manning

Manning does not count, neither would Clark or Addai. All released by the Colts, only UFA count towards comp picks.

pricejj
03-19-2012, 04:11 PM
A first round wr? No way.

Need to utilize that $95M don't you think? Peyton needs weapons to be effective...Manning had 4 first round draft pick receivers to throw to in Indy.

Baba Booey
03-19-2012, 04:16 PM
It would be devastating to let Bunkley go. Our DT situation would go from bad to miserable.

barryr
03-19-2012, 04:18 PM
It would be devastating to let Bunkley go. Our DT situation would go from bad to miserable.

Bunkley needs to be priority number one now or if someone better at DT, whichever.

extralife
03-19-2012, 04:18 PM

so you want a WR in the first round but you wouldn't use the pick on Mike Wallace. fantastic idea.

Broncojef
03-19-2012, 04:19 PM

Saturday, Clark, Bush, Bunkley and McClain... then draft well.

Lestat
03-19-2012, 04:21 PM
not sure what was going on with the Mays deal. still wanted McClain over him but maybe they plan to do something different with Mays to showcase his skills.

pricejj
03-19-2012, 04:21 PM
so you want a WR in the first round but you wouldn't use the pick on Mike Wallace. fantastic idea.

No.

A 1st round WR = $2M per year
Mike Wallace = $10M per year

We can't afford Wallace.

lonestar
03-19-2012, 04:22 PM
Manning does not count, neither would Clark or Addai. All released by the Colts, only UFA count towards comp picks.

Manning is a UFA because he was indeed released by the colts..

anyone not under a contract is a FREE AGENT,, If they are RFA tehn we have to give up draft choices for them.. plus big money..

pricejj
03-19-2012, 04:26 PM
Saturday, Clark, Bush, Bunkley and McClain... then draft well.

1. McClain's out...he's not a WOLB.

2. Bush is a luxury (2nd RB), and will cost too much. We are sticking with what we have. McGahee, Moreno, Ball, and Johnson will suffice. Gotta remember, this is Peyton Manning's offense now (we only need 1 RB).

yerner
03-19-2012, 04:34 PM
Need to utilize that $95M don't you think? Peyton needs weapons to be effective...Manning had 4 first round draft pick receivers to throw to in Indy.

I think they need weapons, but I would prefer to get some cheaper free agents that know the pro game already. Guys like Doucet. Or maybe a healthy Donnie Avery. Andre Caldwell? And some help at running back. Hightower would be interesting. There are guys out there that Manning can get production out of.

That said, if a wr is the bpa, then by all means draft a wr.

lonestar
03-19-2012, 04:38 PM
No.

We can't afford Wallace.

We can not afford to draft a WR as for the most part they are not ready to play for 1.5 years.. they are money drains and most of them are head cases..

If you feel we need one you go for one as a UFA at least you have a clue if they are worth a crap or are not head cases..

lonestar
03-19-2012, 04:40 PM

What $95M?

IIRC DT was a first rounder and Decker is a damned fine WR there is a nother kid on the roster whose name slips me right now, as well as one coming back from IR..

barryr
03-19-2012, 04:43 PM
The Broncos do need more help at WR considering after Thomas and Decker, there isn't much there and both of those guys have had some injury issues as well.

pricejj
03-19-2012, 04:45 PM
We can not afford to draft a WR as for the most part they are not ready to play for 1.5 years.. they are money drains and most of them are head cases..

If you feel we need one you go for one as a UFA at least you have a clue if they are worth a crap or are not head cases..

That's not true, Mike Wallace and Anthony Gonzalez produced immediately. We just bought a Ferrari...you don't put cheap tires on a Ferrari.

oubronco
03-19-2012, 04:52 PM
not sure what was going on with the Mays deal. still wanted McClain over him but maybe they plan to do something different with Mays to showcase his skills.

What put him on the bench?

TonyR
03-19-2012, 05:16 PM
6:55 pm Jason La Canfora: Team Manning about to be assembled in Denver. C Jeff Saturday has a visit scheduled. WR Brandon Stokley likely to be signed #freeagency https://twitter.com/#!/JasonLaCanfora/status/181844187371671553

BroncoBeavis
03-19-2012, 05:18 PM
6:55 pm Jason La Canfora: Team Manning about to be assembled in Denver. C Jeff Saturday has a visit scheduled. WR Brandon Stokley likely to be signed #freeagency https://twitter.com/#!/JasonLaCanfora/status/181844187371671553

See. Can't lose!

TonyR
03-19-2012, 05:28 PM
PFT suggests that Clark, Stokley and Addai may sing for vet minimum.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/19/old-colts-gang-may-be-reunited-in-denver/

rmsanger
03-19-2012, 05:30 PM
How good is Saturday compared to what we arleady have at center? I should know this but my knowledge of the skill set at Center is a bit light.

eddie mac
03-19-2012, 05:32 PM
Manning is a UFA because he was indeed released by the colts..

anyone not under a contract is a FREE AGENT,, If they are RFA tehn we have to give up draft choices for them.. plus big money..

Released players do not count for the purpose of compensatory draft selections, been that way since the beginning of time.

Rohirrim
03-19-2012, 05:32 PM
No.

We can't afford Wallace.

Offer him a lifetime job. :puff:

oubronco
03-19-2012, 05:34 PM
We need to sign either McClain or Lofton to man the middle

Lestat
03-19-2012, 07:37 PM
100X better. and it's not even close to being funny.
How good is Saturday compared to what we arleady have at center? I should know this but my knowledge of the skill set at Center is a bit light.

pricejj
03-19-2012, 07:58 PM

Saturday pulls it all together by teaching the OL how to protect Manning, and changing blocking schemes while Manning calls out the plays.

Without Saturday, this experiment doesn't work.

SportinOne
03-19-2012, 08:09 PM
Yikes, Stokely? I realize that he has a history with Manning but he's been for the most part not playing football for the past two seasons. Now, you wanna bring him in so he can teach the receivers how to catch passes from a guy with a laser rocket arm, i'm all for it. He can be the Jeff Saturday of the receiving corpse.

Okay, but Addai, that's got to be a joke, right?

Kid A
03-19-2012, 08:13 PM
Yikes, Stokely? I realize that he has a history with Manning but he's been for the most part not playing football for the past two seasons. Now, you wanna bring him in so he can teach the receivers how to catch passes from a guy with a laser rocket arm, i'm all for it. He can be the Jeff Saturday of the receiving corpse.

Okay, but Addai, that's got to be a joke, right?

I imagine that's the plan. Don't see him playing much, but good guy to have in practice for Willis and Decker. Especially since we are implementing a Manning, audible at the line offense.

broncocalijohn
03-19-2012, 08:17 PM
PFT suggests that Clark, Stokley and Addai may sing for vet minimum.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/19/old-colts-gang-may-be-reunited-in-denver/

Does Stokely have a choice? Addai might sign for the minimum but he will probably want it laden with incentives. If Addai actually makes the team, Moreno and McGahee also fighting for playing time. Moreno goes to 3rd down back and fighting time with Addai?

Broncojef
03-19-2012, 08:24 PM
Does Stokely have a choice? Addai might sign for the minimum but he will probably want it laden with incentives. If Addai actually makes the team, Moreno and McGahee also fighting for playing time. Moreno goes to 3rd down back and fighting time with Addai?

Moreno should be damn happy to have a damn job, dude is hurt more than he's on the field. Shoulda signed Tolbert and cut bait with Moreno.

HooptyHoops
03-19-2012, 08:26 PM
Still smiling at the Broncos signing Manning! This is crazy!!

gyldenlove
03-19-2012, 08:32 PM
That's not true, Mike Wallace and Anthony Gonzalez produced immediately. We just bought a Ferrari...you don't put cheap tires on a Ferrari.

Yes, they both had 37 catches in their rookie years - huge production. San Diego alone had 5 players with more catches than that in 2011.

cmhargrove
03-19-2012, 08:46 PM

I'm extremely excited about Saturday. If Walton leans behind Saturday, we might finally have some depth at the position.

Saturday is a five time pro-bowler and a two time first team all pro. If he stays healthy, it is a huge upgrade, and he is Peyton's field general for line calls.

eddie mac
03-19-2012, 08:52 PM
How good is Saturday???

Well Green Bay and Tennessee are looking at him as a starter. Visits arranged with both before Manning chose Denver

MVP-06
03-19-2012, 08:57 PM
Bet Royal is wishing he would have waited a few more days. Hey puts up 1000 yards in the slot w/Manning. Enjoy the weather

Requiem
03-19-2012, 08:58 PM
Peyton Manning has increased my percentages of staying in Colorado 50%.

SoCalBronco
03-19-2012, 09:07 PM
I had a nice text message discussion with Khan about this earlier in the day and as a result will be adding to my signature to include a great Khan line.

I was opposed to this and I still would have preferred that he chose another team, for reasons already laid out (age, medical, cost), but now that they chose it, then thats what it is. I obviously hope it works out for the team. I do feel terrible for Tim and hope we can accomodate him as best as possible.

The key for me is whether the FO/Ownership is willing to go beyond this, i.e. see that even tho you gave him 95m, you still have alot more left under the cap and given the state of hte team, one guy isnt going to magically turn it into the best team, esp at this stage in his career. More is needed in FA. There are many holes that need to be plugged..credibly plugged, so I want to see them give Manning some weapons, show him he made the proper choice and that you'll give him a shot to win. I saw that thread about Mike Wallace for the 1st, I think that's obviously a real possibility now. Its not just because we NEED a 3rd good WR, but its also the type of offense as well.

Manning ran a One Back offense in IND, most of the time using 3 WR/1 TE/1 Back formations but also sometimes 2 WR/2 TE/ 1 Back. So you definitely need that 3rd WR if he is still going to run that Tom Moore system. We prolly could use Wallace for deep threat purposes as well even aside from the 3 WR style offense issue. But the first is a steep price, I dont know thats a tough call. He's an explosive WR, though. He could be worth it if they are going back to the one back three wide style with Peyton calling everything at the line. Obviously, they'll prolly bring Clark in to be the TE and continue to develop OJ. Defense needs to be addressed too. Bottom line, its done with, and while I wouldn't have gone for this, I have to still hope and root that works out for us, hopefully the risk has been gone through in detail by our doctors and they legitimately feel ok about the medical issues (I could see Greek just socializing with him for 3 mins and then slapping him on the butt and saying he's ready to go :)). I hope it works, its a big gamble on greatness, we shall see. The key will be spending to support him offensively and defensively also.

TonyR
03-20-2012, 09:13 AM
So whatever happened with the 3 players we brought in on Saturday while EFX were in NC? I think it was McLain from Bal, Trufant, and somebody else? They met with JDR, had physicals, and then left town without signing. I know that FA was "on hold" until the PM situation was settled. I assume we're open for business after the presser this afternoon? Do we bring those guys back and sign them? Is McClain out now that Mays is back in the fold? What is anyone thinking or hearing other than Jeff Saturday?

BroncoInferno
03-20-2012, 09:23 AM
Manning ran a One Back offense in IND, most of the time using 3 WR/1 TE/1 Back formations but also sometimes 2 WR/2 TE/ 1 Back. So you definitely need that 3rd WR if he is still going to run that Tom Moore system. We prolly could use Wallace for deep threat purposes as well even aside from the 3 WR style offense issue. But the first is a steep price, I dont know thats a tough call. He's an explosive WR, though. He could be worth it if they are going back to the one back three wide style with Peyton calling everything at the line. Obviously, they'll prolly bring Clark in to be the TE and continue to develop OJ. Defense needs to be addressed too. Bottom line, its done with, and while I wouldn't have gone for this, I have to still hope and root that works out for us, hopefully the risk has been gone through in detail by our doctors and they legitimately feel ok about the medical issues (I could see Greek just socializing with him for 3 mins and then slapping him on the butt and saying he's ready to go :)). I hope it works, its a big gamble on greatness, we shall see. The key will be spending to support him offensively and defensively also.

I'm wondering if Elway, having won two championships in the twilight of his career, convinced Manning that a good running will give him the best shot at winning another Super Bowl? Apparently, Schefter said we probably aren't going to pursue Wallace. But it has been mentioned that Carolina might be looking to trade Williams or Stewart given the signing of Tolbert, and that we might be interested. I'd prefer that route, especially if it's Stewart (4 years younger than Williams, less injury issues). The cost probably won't be as steep (3rd rounder, maybe?), and it has the chance to set Manning up with the kind of dominant running game that Elway had late in his career. Either way, we still need a 3rd WR, but maybe not necessarily one as costly as Wallace.

TonyR
03-20-2012, 09:25 AM
But it has been mentioned that Carolina might be looking to trade Williams or Stewart given the signing of Tolbert, and that we might be interested. I'd prefer that route, especially if it's Stewart (4 years younger than Williams, less injury issues). The cost probably won't be as steep (3rd rounder, maybe?)...

Tebow for Stewart! He'd make a perfect backup for Newton, and oh the irony!!! (yes, I realize this will never happen)

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=3482471#post3482471

55CrushEm
03-20-2012, 09:31 AM
I had a nice text message discussion with Khan about this earlier in the day and as a result will be adding to my signature to include a great Khan line.

I was opposed to this and I still would have preferred that he chose another team, for reasons already laid out (age, medical, cost), but now that they chose it, then thats what it is. I obviously hope it works out for the team. I do feel terrible for Tim and hope we can accomodate him as best as possible.

The key for me is whether the FO/Ownership is willing to go beyond this, i.e. see that even tho you gave him 95m, you still have alot more left under the cap and given the state of hte team, one guy isnt going to magically turn it into the best team, esp at this stage in his career. More is needed in FA. There are many holes that need to be plugged..credibly plugged, so I want to see them give Manning some weapons, show him he made the proper choice and that you'll give him a shot to win. I saw that thread about Mike Wallace for the 1st, I think that's obviously a real possibility now. Its not just because we NEED a 3rd good WR, but its also the type of offense as well.

QFT.....

Rohirrim
03-20-2012, 09:36 AM

Given the schedule we have coming up, I think it would be better to pass on the high priced guys like Wallace and use that money and draft picks to spread good players across the roster.

pricejj
03-20-2012, 09:45 AM
I'm wondering if Elway, having won two championships in the twilight of his career, convinced Manning that a good running will give him the best shot at winning another Super Bowl? Apparently, Schefter said we probably aren't going to pursue Wallace. But it has been mentioned that Carolina might be looking to trade Williams or Stewart given the signing of Tolbert, and that we might be interested. I'd prefer that route, especially if it's Stewart (4 years younger than Williams, less injury issues). The cost probably won't be as steep (3rd rounder, maybe?), and it has the chance to set Manning up with the kind of dominant running game that Elway had late in his career. Either way, we still need a 3rd WR, but maybe not necessarily one as costly as Wallace.

Mike Wallace is a legitimate #1 receiver...Eric Decker would be the #3/slot.

Jonathan Stewart will require a $2.6M cap hit this year, after which, his contract expires...intriguing...but a bit steep. If I am the Broncos...I continue to try to get a 2nd round draft pick for Tebow...somebody may eventually bite.

bendog
03-20-2012, 09:52 AM
Mike Wallace is a legitimate #1 receiver...Eric Decker would be the #3/slot.

Jonathan Stewart will require a $2.6M cap hit this year, after which, his contract expires...intriguing...but a bit steep. If I am the Broncos...I continue to try to get a 2nd round draft pick for Tebow...somebody may eventually bite.

I hate the thought of losing a one, but it's hard to see making a run with DT and Decker as the one and two.

eddie mac
03-20-2012, 11:41 AM
Manning's deal in reality is 3 years $58m and year 1 is guaranteed and not protected against injury. Manning will have a physical in March 2013 which will decide whether $20m guaranteed base salaries kick in for 2013 and 2014.

2012 $18m
2013 $20m
2014 $20m

gyldenlove
03-20-2012, 11:51 AM
Manning's deal in reality is 3 years $58m and year 1 is guaranteed and not protected against injury. Manning will have a physical in March 2013 which will decide whether $20m guaranteed base salaries kick in for 2013 and 2014.

2012 $18m
2013 $20m
2014 $20m

That is very reasonable, and quite similar to the deal he had in Indy.

Rohirrim
03-20-2012, 01:01 PM
What happened to Lee Evans? A couple of years ago he was a scoring threat. Now, the Ravens cut him loose. I'm guessing Ozzie wants to knock down his salary. Might just need a change of scenery and a better QB?

yerner
03-20-2012, 01:05 PM
What happened to Lee Evans? A couple of years ago he was a scoring threat. Now, the Ravens cut him loose. I'm guessing Ozzie wants to knock down his salary. Might just need a change of scenery and a better QB?

He's was hurt all last year pretty much. Not sure how much he has left. Kind of fell off the cliff. Dude was pretty good at the deep ball not too long ago.

eddie mac
03-20-2012, 01:12 PM
This contract's structure basically rules out any approach for Wallace IMO.

After Adams, Mays and Manning the Broncos have approx $15m-$18m left in caproom which does not include the Woodyard deal or indeed the cap required for draft picks.

With needs still to be addressed at TE, 3WR, RB, DT, CB, I dont see a move for Wallace.

Requiem
03-20-2012, 01:14 PM
If the Broncos land Porter I'd expect another value signing for depth and draft the rest.

bendog
03-20-2012, 01:21 PM
If they sign Porter, can the get any cap savings by cutting DJ?

BroncoInferno
03-20-2012, 01:24 PM

After Adams, Mays and Manning the Broncos have approx $15m-$18m left in caproom which does not include the Woodyard deal or indeed the cap required for draft picks.

With needs still to be addressed at TE, 3WR, RB, DT, CB, I dont see a move for Wallace.

Will moving Tebow result in any significant cap savings?

BroncoBeavis
03-20-2012, 01:26 PM
Will moving Tebow result in any significant cap savings?

1.2 I think.

gyldenlove
03-20-2012, 01:30 PM
Tracey Porter is coming to Denver for a visit, I think he would be a good signing.

ColoradoBuff
03-20-2012, 02:40 PM
Tulloch re-signs with the Lions

Adam Schefter ‏ <S>@</S>AdamSchefter
Detroit gets back the LB it wanted to keep. RT <S>@</S>ProFootballTalk (http://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk): Lions sign Stephen Tulloch to five-year deal.

Ratboy
03-20-2012, 02:48 PM
Mike Klis ‏ @MikeKlis
Broncos have C Jeff Saturday coming in for visit

Garcia Bronco
03-20-2012, 03:25 PM

Thanks god. It's not worth it IMO.

oubronco
03-20-2012, 03:26 PM
What about McClain? Any news?

LetsGoBroncos
03-20-2012, 03:30 PM
What about McClain? Any news?

Seriously!?

If we got McClain, Porter, Saturday and either Tamme or Clark I would feel pretty darn good going into the draft. Especially if we could keep Bunkley.

Add a DT, RB, WR, CB, QB, S and BPA in the draft

oubronco
03-20-2012, 03:34 PM
Seriously!?

If we got McClain, Porter, Saturday and either Tamme or Clark I would feel pretty darn good going into the draft. Especially if we could keep Bunkley.

Add a DT, RB, WR, CB, QB, S and BPA in the draft

No doubt add Worthy or Still at 25 and we're on our way

gyldenlove
03-20-2012, 03:35 PM

How do you get to 15-18 million?

We had 44 million and change in space going into FA. The contract for Mays will take up as much as 4 million, so lets go with that number, that leaves us 40. Manning is getting 18 million this year which means that is also the maximum possible cap hit for him, that puts us at 22. I haven't seen any numbers on Adams, but I doubt his contact is more than 2 million per year, which would put us around 20 before Woodyard.

If just some of Manning's pay this year is in the form of a signing bonus, it will be prorated and his salary cap will be less than 18 million.

As for rookie salary, with the cap and our low draft position we are not going to be using a ton of cap there, plus we would get some offset from the rookie salary cap pool.

pricejj
03-20-2012, 03:38 PM
I hate the thought of losing a one, but it's hard to see making a run with DT and Decker as the one and two.

I don't mind losing the first rounder. I would mind if Manning is throwing to guys like Matthew Willis, D'Andre Goodwin, and Jason Hill. Manning needs a bonafide #1in the Harrison/Wayne mold. I like DT, and Decker, but they ain't quite ready for prime time. Wallace can show them how it's done on a consistent basis.

Not True. The Broncos are still about $25M under the cap by my calculations, which would drop to $22M after draft picks. We could still sign Wallace ($10M), Bunkley ($5M), Saturday ($4.5M), and Tamme ($1.5M). We could still bring in Porter (if we cut Goodman), and bring in Stokely (for cheap). All this...and we still wouldn't have to cut Ty Warren (who is making $5.25M). We should also be able to find room for Dawkins...

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/cap-hit/

Manning's 2012 contract (only $18M), is actually VERY conducive to bringing in talent RIGHT NOW.

Baba Booey
03-20-2012, 03:39 PM
Would love to sign Porter and McClain.

Garcia Bronco
03-20-2012, 03:39 PM

We had 44 million and change in space going into FA. The contract for Mays will take up as much as 4 million, so lets go with that number, that leaves us 40. Manning is getting 18 million this year which means that is also the maximum possible cap hit for him, that puts us at 22. I haven't seen any numbers on Adams, but I doubt his contact is more than 2 million per year, which would put us around 20 before Woodyard.

If just some of Manning's pay this year is in the form of a signing bonus, it will be prorated and his salary cap will be less than 18 million.

As for rookie salary, with the cap and our low draft position we are not going to be using a ton of cap there, plus we would get some offset from the rookie salary cap pool.

18 million for Manning is just the bonus...it doesn't include the game checks.

Garcia Bronco
03-20-2012, 03:42 PM
Would love to sign Porter and McClain.

I'd be down for McClain. This defense is so soft up the middle. We need to make it a strength. There was great improvement last year, but unfortunately we only signed our DT's for 1 year. And maybe those two played harder because it was a contract year, but they still did well.

pricejj
03-20-2012, 03:43 PM
18 million for Manning is just the bonus...it doesn't include the game checks.

Not true.

2012: $18M
2013: $20M
2014: $20M
2015: $19M
2016: $19M
Total = $96M

eddie mac
03-20-2012, 03:44 PM

Updated by PFT to $40m before any signings, dont shoot the messenger.LOL

Manning's $18m is a fully guaranteed base salary this year. I think Mays' is too but am still awaiting confirmation of that.

eddie mac
03-20-2012, 03:48 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/16/cap-space-as-of-march-15/

Broncos: $40.0 million.

Bengals: $38.9 million.

Seahawks: $28.6 million.

Titans: $26.2 million.

Jaguars: $24.8 million.

49ers: $23.5 million.

Eagles: $22.3 million.

Bills: $22.2 million.

Browns: $21.6 million.

Chiefs: $21.4 million.

Buccaneers: $17.9 million.

Vikings: $18.8 million.

Rams: $14.6 million.

Chargers: $14.5 million.

Dolphins: $14.3 million.

Colts: $14.3 million.

Patriots: $13.6 million.

Lions: $13.3 million.

Bears: $12.8 million.

Jets: $12.7 million.

Redskins: $11.3 million.

Texans: $8.7 million.

Packers: $7.2 million.

Falcons: $6.0 million.

Steelers: $5.8 million.

Cowboys: $5.5 million.

Raiders: $5.0 million.

Ravens: $4.7 million.

Panthers: $3.1 million.

Saints: $3.0 million.

Giants: $2.3 million.

Cardinals: $448,000.

swaiy
03-20-2012, 03:49 PM
I don't mind losing the first rounder. I would mind if Manning is throwing to guys like Matthew Willis, D'Andre Goodwin, and Jason Hill. Manning needs a bonafide #1in the Harrison/Wayne mold. I like DT, and Decker, but they ain't quite ready for prime time. Wallace can show them how it's done on a consistent basis.

If Manning was credited with turning a bunch of nobody WRs to awesome with the Colts, why can't he do that here?

pricejj
03-20-2012, 03:56 PM
If Manning was credited with turning a bunch of nobody WRs to awesome with the Colts, why can't he do that here?

Manning was throwing to 4 first round draft picks: Harrison, Wayne, Clark, Gonzalez...

After the Colts went 5-2 in 2010, Harrison was retired, Wayne was banged up, and Clark, and Gonzalez we're out. The Colts finished 10-6, and obviously didn't win the Superbowl. If you want to make it to the playoffs...sure, don't sign a true #1 receiver...BUT, if you want to make Manning's job easier, and have a legitimate shot at the Superbowl, you have to bring in a guy like Mike Wallace (especially if you can easily afford it).

Marvin Harrison: #19 (1996)
Reggie Wayne: #30 (2001)
Dallas Clark: #24 (2003)
Anthony Gonzalez: #32 (2007)

cutthemdown
03-20-2012, 03:56 PM

Harrison, Wayne were not avg. Why do people keep saying this? Manning always had a great WR on one side, and a lot of young ones in the stable. They also stockpiled pass catching TE of which we lack.

Broncos need to add WR and TE to the roster. If they don't think Moreno can be a 3rd down guy they need to look at Addai.

cutthemdown
03-20-2012, 03:57 PM
Manning was throwing to 4 first round draft picks: Harrison, Wayne, Clark, Gonzalez...

After the Colts went 5-2 in 2010, Harrison was retired, Wayne was banged up, and Clark, and Gonzalez we're out. The Colts finished 10-6, and obviously didn't win the Superbowl. If you want to make it to the playoffs...sure, don't sign a true #1 receiver...BUT, if you want to make Manning's job easier, and have a legitimate shot at the Superbowl, you have to bring in a guy like Mike Wallace (especially if you can easily afford it).

Only if they find a starting CB in FA. Otherwise we need all our early draft picks to look for CB's IMO.

Rohirrim
03-20-2012, 04:01 PM
Harrison, Wayne were not avg. Why do people keep saying this? Manning always had a great WR on one side, and a lot of young ones in the stable. They also stockpiled pass catching TE of which we lack.

Broncos need to add WR and TE to the roster. If they don't think Moreno can be a 3rd down guy they need to look at Addai.

I wouldn't be sad if our pick at #25 was Coby Fleener. PM could kill with a weapon like that.

swaiy
03-20-2012, 04:05 PM

Where did I say Harrison and Wayne were average? Where did I even mention them? I'll wait...

swaiy
03-20-2012, 04:06 PM
Oh and I agree they need to add a WR to the roster but 1st round pick? I don't agree. You're entitled to your opinion but so am I.

pricejj
03-20-2012, 04:14 PM
Only if they find a starting CB in FA. Otherwise we need all our early draft picks to look for CB's IMO.

Goodman is no chump, and has A LOT more interceptions than Porter...if you think Goodman is too far on the decline, and Porter would be an upgrade (at a cheaper price...Goodman's is scheduled to make $5.58M this year)...

...then do it.

Unless you are truly infatuated with Stephon Gilmore in round #1 (Mike Wallace has more value), another CB could be found in round 2 or 3.

Keep in mind, with whatever CB we draft, we will probably have to cut Syd'Quan Thompson...which is fine by me.

1. Champ Bailey
2. Andre Goodman/Tracy Porter
3. Chris Harris
4. Cassius Vaughn
5. Tony Carter
6. Syd'Quan Thompson

cutthemdown
03-20-2012, 04:15 PM
Where did I say Harrison and Wayne were average? Where did I even mention them? I'll wait...

People keep saying Colts had avg WR that Manning made great. That wasn't the case. They often draft WR high in the draft, and were always looking for ones lower in the draft that fit the mold they looked for.

Fact is they almost always had high end WR on the field. It wasn't like they threw scrubs out there.

cutthemdown
03-20-2012, 04:18 PM
Goodman is no chump, and has A LOT more interceptions than Porter...if you think Goodman is too far on the decline, and Porter would be an upgrade (at a cheaper price...Goodman's is scheduled to make $5.58M this year)...

...then do it.

Unless you are truly infatuated with Stephon Gilmore in round #1 (Mike Wallace has more value), another CB could be found in round 2 or 3.

Keep in mind, with whatever CB we draft, we will probably have to cut Syd'Quan Thompson...which is fine by me.

1. Champ Bailey
3. Chris Harris
4. Cassius Vaughn
5. Tony Carter
6. Syd'Quan Thompson

When i say early and often it doesn't mean it has to be first round. I really think talent wise the 2nd and 3rd rounds of the draft have great players. Maybe just not ones who got it done in college. So I'm not saying the first round pick has to be a CB. I am only saying that we need another starting CB.

Also interceptions are a crappy stat to go by. Just watching Goodman play he struggles many times. He is a smart vet, and that gets him by. But we need to upgrade there.

pricejj
03-20-2012, 04:35 PM
When i say early and often it doesn't mean it has to be first round. I really think talent wise the 2nd and 3rd rounds of the draft have great players. Maybe just not ones who got it done in college. So I'm not saying the first round pick has to be a CB. I am only saying that we need another starting CB.

Also interceptions are a crappy stat to go by. Just watching Goodman play he struggles many times. He is a smart vet, and that gets him by. But we need to upgrade there.

Not saying an upgrade wouldn't be nice, but Goodman is the best guy the Broncos have found to play opposite Champ. That would be sweet if Porter is as good, or better than Goodman.

Goodman is better than:
1. Dre Bly
2. Lenny Walls
3. Dominique Foxworth
4. Darrent Williams (RIP)

elsid13
03-20-2012, 04:38 PM
Aaron Ross signed with Jags.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ycn-11128134

DBroncos4life
03-20-2012, 04:40 PM

...then do it.

1. Champ Bailey
3. Chris Harris
4. Cassius Vaughn
5. Tony Carter
6. Syd'Quan Thompson

A guy that has been in the NFL for ten years has MORE interceptions then a guy that has played only four! Stop the ****ing presses!.

DBroncos4life
03-20-2012, 04:47 PM
Not saying an upgrade wouldn't be nice, but Goodman is the best guy the Broncos have found to play opposite Champ. That would be sweet if Porter is as good, or better than Goodman.

Goodman is better than:
1. Dre Bly
2. Lenny Walls
3. Dominique Foxworth

LOL going by your more INT stats Bly is a 100 times better then Goodman. In ten years Goodman has 19 career INTs, Bly in eleven years had 49. Bly wasn't great at tackling but he has way more solo and total tackles then Goodman as well. More PDs as well.

swaiy
03-20-2012, 04:49 PM
People keep saying Colts had avg WR that Manning made great. That wasn't the case. They often draft WR high in the draft, and were always looking for ones lower in the draft that fit the mold they looked for.

Fact is they almost always had high end WR on the field. It wasn't like they threw scrubs out there.

I only partially agree with this. Garcon was drafted in the 6th round.

Anthony Gonzalez? I can't say he was a scrub but I believe he was drafted way higher than he could have been taken at. That's just a matter of my opinion.

Reggie and Marvin are without a doubt complete beasts.

What I'm saying is that I believe Peyton brought out the best in them and I think he could do the same with our receivers (Decker and Thomas at least). Hell, the Colts were even looking to take Decker in that draft if I heard correctly. I completely agree they need another receiver but I feel like if the Broncos are drafting at 25, they could trade back to acquire another pick to get an additional player but to just outright trade the pick for Wallace would be a little ill conceived in my opinion with so many holes to fill. The guy is a sure thing and even though Peyton is on the team, you can't completely throw out the building up of the team.

pricejj
03-20-2012, 05:00 PM
A guy that has been in the NFL for ten years has MORE interceptions then a guy that has played only four! Stop the ****ing presses!.

Dbag4life:

Like I said, if you think Porter is better than Goodman, and can be had at a cheaper price, then do it.

I think Goodman is a solid player, and has played very well as a Denver Bronco. I wouldn't be against signing a better player (if Porter is better)...I don't know anything about him.

LOL going by your more INT stats Bly is a 100 times better then Goodman. In ten years Goodman has 19 career INTs, Bly in eleven years had 49. Bly wasn't great at tackling but he has way more solo and total tackles then Goodman as well. More PDs as well.

Bly got burned a lot...but I liked him as well. I just think Goodman is better.

I haven't seen Porter play.

extralife
03-20-2012, 05:00 PM
The guy is a sure thing and even though Peyton is on the team, you can't completely throw out the building up of the team.

How would getting a "sure thing," at age 25 no less, "throw out the building up of the team?" Last I checked the goal was to get good players. Wallace is young and more than good, he's at a position of need, and he bolsters the abilities of the best player on our team.

swaiy
03-20-2012, 05:06 PM
How would getting a "sure thing," at age 25 no less, "throw out the building up of the team?" Last I checked the goal was to get good players. Wallace is young and more than good, he's at a position of need, and he bolsters the abilities of the best player on our team.

What impact guy do you see us getting defensive wise with the 25th pick in the 2nd round?

That doesn't even take into account of us needing a QB to groom. To hell with the defense I guess.

lolcopter
03-20-2012, 05:09 PM
Goodman is the best guy the Broncos have found to play opposite Champ. ...

Goodman is better than:
1. Dre Bly
2. Lenny Walls
3. Dominique Foxworth

can i buy some pot from you?

DBroncos4life
03-20-2012, 05:14 PM

Dude he is smoking a jeffrey!

Drek
03-20-2012, 05:20 PM
What impact guy do you see us getting defensive wise with the 25th pick in the 2nd round?

That doesn't even take into account of us needing a QB to groom. To hell with the defense I guess.

Dude, we're now in "title contender" zone. The purpose of every pick should be to add the best player, period, who we can actually get on the field.

If we could instantly swap spots with the Browns at #4 under the pre-condition that we would select Blackmon would you do it? I sure as hell would. Wallace is only a few years older, is a far safer bet overall, is a near lock to be more productive in 2012, and will cost you only a little more money.

So why the hell wouldn't we buy ourselves a great WR when doing so also directly hinders the passing game of an offensively limited conference rival?

Also, SIGN TRACY PORTER!

TheReverend
03-20-2012, 05:21 PM

Whatever he's on is WAY stronger than pot...

swaiy
03-20-2012, 05:29 PM
Dude, we're now in "title contender" zone. The purpose of every pick should be to add the best player, period, who we can actually get on the field.

If we could instantly swap spots with the Browns at #4 under the pre-condition that we would select Blackmon would you do it? I sure as hell would. Wallace is only a few years older, is a far safer bet overall, is a near lock to be more productive in 2012, and will cost you only a little more money.

So why the hell wouldn't we buy ourselves a great WR when doing so also directly hinders the passing game of an offensively limited conference rival?

Also, SIGN TRACY PORTER!

Assuming Manning puts the team over the top. On paper he does but until we actually see it, we won't know. You have a valid point but I am one that believes the old saying "defense wins championships."

extralife
03-20-2012, 05:30 PM
so in the face of overwhelming logic, you prefer to default to platitudes. that's nice.

TheReverend
03-20-2012, 05:31 PM
Aaron Ross signed with Jags.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ycn-11128134

He should be a Bronco.

Drek
03-20-2012, 05:36 PM
Assuming Manning puts the team over the top. On paper he does but until we actually see it, we won't know. You have a valid point but I am one that believes the old saying "defense wins championships."

1. we aren't drafting 2012 help for this defense unless Keuchly falls into our laps at #25.

2. we can strengthen the defense quite a bit still in the FA market. Add Tracy Porter. Bring back Bunkley. Add a guy like Okoye for the DT rotation. Add McClain if you still got the money. Boom, defense is way better. Buy him the guaranteed proven toy Manning needs to score toe to toe with Brady's and Rodgers' stocked up high powered offenses.

This is time to build both, quickly. Wallace has the added benefit of being a key guy for the next 5 or 6 years, not just the next two or three.

swaiy
03-20-2012, 05:36 PM
so in the face of overwhelming logic, you prefer to default to platitudes. that's nice.

It's a forum. Forums are places where people discuss. People often post their opinions. It's only overwhelming logic because you agree with it. While I have come here and respectfully agreed and disagreed with certain subjects, you attack my opinion. "That's nice."

At the end of the day, no one outside of the team knows what's going to happen so please, hop off your high horse.

swaiy
03-20-2012, 05:38 PM
1. we aren't drafting 2012 help for this defense unless Keuchly falls into our laps at #25.

2. we can strengthen the defense quite a bit still in the FA market. Add Tracy Porter. Bring back Bunkley. Add a guy like Okoye for the DT rotation. Add McClain if you still got the money. Boom, defense is way better. Buy him the guaranteed proven toy Manning needs to score toe to toe with Brady's and Rodgers' stocked up high powered offenses.

This is time to build both, quickly. Wallace has the added benefit of being a key guy for the next 5 or 6 years, not just the next two or three.

Okay this makes your view more understandable and I can see that.

Much better than some dickhead attacking me because I didn't originally agree. Thanks.

elsid13
03-20-2012, 05:40 PM
He should be a Bronco.

I think he's total average, if not below, and would rather have the Broncos spend money on Porter.

eddie mac
03-20-2012, 05:47 PM
He should be a Bronco.

I thought I read he had a really bad year in NJ

gyldenlove
03-20-2012, 05:49 PM
I think he's total average, if not below, and would rather have the Broncos spend money on Porter.

He was by some margin the weakest spot for the Giants defense last year and considered a bust by Giants fans.

ayjackson
03-20-2012, 05:51 PM
What`s Braylon Edwards up to these days?

TheReverend
03-20-2012, 06:04 PM
I thought I read he had a really bad year in NJ

Up and down for sure. In between maddeningly inconsistent and downright bad.

But not indicative of his potential. Would still be an excellent addition to learn under champ and fox and be a nickel player this year (unless we still have Goodman and no one else... then he needs to start)

gyldenlove
03-20-2012, 06:05 PM

Unmitigated suckage I am sure.

TheReverend
03-20-2012, 06:05 PM
He was by some margin the weakest spot for the Giants defense last year and considered a bust by Giants fans.

Ref: Redskins and Carlos Rogers

BroncosMT
03-20-2012, 06:07 PM

you are joking right?

elsid13
03-20-2012, 06:08 PM

Rodger started playing better after he got contact lens. He refused to get vision test in DC.

barryr
03-20-2012, 06:49 PM
Porter has had some injury problems, but he's far better than Goodman and Trufant as well.

TheReverend
03-20-2012, 06:52 PM
Rodger started playing better after he got contact lens. He refused to get vision test in DC.

lol that's it, I'm sure...

gyldenlove
03-20-2012, 06:59 PM

Karl Paymah and Dominique Foxworth, everyone is a pro bowler with a change of scenery right?

pricejj
03-20-2012, 07:08 PM

Which one of the CB's opposite of Champ has been better than Goodman?

Dbag4life, and Rev feel free to chime in also...

You guys keep bashing him, but he has been solid. That being said, I'm glad they are looking to upgrade the position, if possible.

gyldenlove
03-20-2012, 07:10 PM
According to PFT we are working hard at resigning Bunkley... color me a happy little pig.

DBroncos4life
03-20-2012, 07:13 PM

You guys keep bashing him, but he has been solid. That being said, I'm glad they are looking to upgrade the position, if possible.

He was good his first year here that was it. Bly was better overall. LOL There are 981 active members on this board I dare you to get 10 to agree with you.

pricejj
03-20-2012, 07:13 PM
On 104.3 the FAN, Xanders said tomorrow is going to be a big day, they are bringing in 4 or 5 guys. I'm guessing it's Porter, Bunkley, Saturday, Tamme, and Clark.

...Early Doucet re-signed by Cardinals.

pricejj
03-20-2012, 07:22 PM
He was good his first year here that was it. Bly was better overall. LOL There are 981 active members on this board I dare you to get 10 to agree with you.

Sorry bro, dare declined...

Both players we're pretty similar. Bly only played 2 years in Denver and was a good player. For some reason, McDaniels ran him off in favor of Goodman. Goodman has had more passes defensed, Bly had more tackles. I just seem to remember Bly getting burned more. At any rate, there is no real reason for you to call me out and attempt to ridicule me because I believe that Goodman has been the most consistent CB opposite of Champ. It's a tough job, and he has held up well. I hope Porter is as solid as Andre was.

baja
03-20-2012, 08:00 PM
I just realized we got Manning for nothing this year. Not players, not a draft picks and free money. Bowlen's cap money that would have never been spent. No way we would have spent 40+ million without PM's contract.

yerner
03-20-2012, 08:04 PM
On 104.3 the FAN, Xanders said tomorrow is going to be a big day, they are bringing in 4 or 5 guys. I'm guessing it's Porter, Bunkley, Saturday, Tamme, and Clark.

...Early Doucet re-signed by Cardinals.

Damnit, he would have been a good slot wr for Manning.

SportinOne
03-20-2012, 08:05 PM
People. CB is not our biggest defensive concern. Even if Goodman were Roc Alexander, and he is certainly not, DT and LB would still come before CB2 or CB3. Have we learned nothing from the acquisition of Champ Bailey?

Front Seven
Front Seven
Front Seven
Sign a CB for depth if we can, but not at the expense of the....
FRONT SEVEN!

BroncoInferno
03-20-2012, 08:11 PM
Looking at the remaining free agent WRs, the only one who is young and has some upside is Jerome Simpson. But he is having to spend 60 days in the slammer and will probably be suspended, so he's a no go. We need a #3 WR...best we can do now is look at some of the steady veterans still left. Jerricho Cotchery or Deion Branch might be a decent value buy.

barryr
03-20-2012, 08:13 PM
People. CB is not our biggest defensive concern. Even if Goodman were Roc Alexander, and he is certainly not, DT and LB would still come before CB2 or CB3. Have we learned nothing from the acquisition of Champ Bailey?

Front Seven
Front Seven
Front Seven
FRONT SEVEN!

The Broncos can do both and CB is a need, especially when teams use 3-4 receiver sets.

pricejj
03-20-2012, 08:45 PM
Looking at the remaining free agent WRs, the only one who is young and has some upside is Jerome Simpson. But he is having to spend 60 days in the slammer and will probably be suspended, so he's a no go. We need a #3 WR...best we can do now is look at some of the steady veterans still left. Jerricho Cotchery or Deion Branch might be a decent value buy.

We need a #1 WR.

BroncoMan4ever
03-20-2012, 08:54 PM

Bly was better over his tenure. Cox had his moments and had he not been a rapist i think could have really become a good starter for us. not saying Goodman has been terrible, but we need an upgrade from him

BroncoMan4ever
03-20-2012, 08:56 PM
Damnit, he would have been a good slot wr for Manning.

bring back Stokley on a vet min deal for a year and see if he has anything left. if he does, we get our slot guy who is a good locker room guy and also a smart signing who can help Decker and DT get used to the Peyton Manning offense and teach them what is expected of them as Manning's weapons.

Dedhed
03-20-2012, 08:57 PM
Is Jameel still out there? Get that dude back in Denver NOW!

baja
03-20-2012, 08:59 PM
Ha!

I wonder how Brandon Lloyd feels about whining his way out of town last year?

BroncoInferno
03-20-2012, 09:24 PM
We need a #1 WR.

DeMaryius Thomas was keeping pace statistically with Calvin Johnson the last month of the season. Imagine what he'll do with Manning? He's going to be our legit #1 WR.

bowtown
03-20-2012, 09:52 PM
Ha!

Considering he now has Brady throwing him footballs, I think he feels okay.

Taco John
03-20-2012, 09:54 PM
Ha!

He feels like he's going to get a cup of clam chowder with Tom Brady.

baja
03-20-2012, 10:02 PM
He feels like he's going to get a cup of clam chowder with Tom Brady.

Maybe but if I'm Lloyd I'm thinking Manning to Lloyd, decker and DT is better than Brady to 6 capable targets

yerner
03-20-2012, 10:03 PM
bring back Stokley on a vet min deal for a year and see if he has anything left. if he does, we get our slot guy who is a good locker room guy and also a smart signing who can help Decker and DT get used to the Peyton Manning offense and teach them what is expected of them as Manning's weapons.

No problem with Stokley. I imagine Matt Willis will be a big part of the training camp battle too. I just thought Doucet would have been an upgrade.

Heard someone on the radio talking about Greg Orton. Said he had heard that the Broncos front office was high on him. Sounds like bs to me though. Can't wait to watch it play out.

bowtown
03-20-2012, 10:05 PM
No problem with Stokley. I imagine Matt Willis will be a big part of the training camp battle too. I just thought Doucet would have been an upgrade.

Heard someone on the radio talking about Greg Orton. Said he had heard that the Broncos front office was high on him. Sounds like bs to me though. Can't wait to watch it play out.

I heard they feel he gives them the best chance to win.

lonestar
03-21-2012, 12:00 AM

Front Seven
Front Seven
Front Seven
FRONT SEVEN!

A man after my own heart.

if there is enough pressure on the QB to get rid of the ball even losers like goody will look better..

pricejj

he was the best of the other losers we had opposite Champ, but that is not saying much..

I can't count the number of times I saw 21 trailing the play on big gains and TD's..

If he is making more than a big mac this year he is overpaid.. IIRC he is on the books for over 2 MIL way over paid for his lack of stoppage..

NUB
03-21-2012, 12:51 AM
5 years, $100m, $18m guaranteed + potential loss of Tebow which also means a loss in what it cost to get him -- 1st 2nd 3rd 4th if I remember right, thus bringing McDaniels' colossal damage to yet another QB-sunset close.

cutthemdown
03-21-2012, 01:18 AM
The problem with our corners is Champ is old, Goodman is old. We need some youth there before its too late. You are all wrong and come draft day when Broncos add at least 2 corners it will be proven. I'm not saying DT and DE aren't super important. But.......Broncos like Ayers and Doom. They also like kicking Ayers inside sometimes on 3rd downs. The like Bunkley and will resign him. So yeah we could use someone better then Marcus Thomas, but that doesn't mean we don't corners just as bad.

cutthemdown
03-21-2012, 01:20 AM
5 years, $100m, $18m guaranteed + potential loss of Tebow which also means a loss in what it cost to get him -- 1st 2nd 3rd 4th if I remember right, thus bringing McDaniels' colossal damage to yet another QB-sunset close.

LOL!

cutthemdown
03-21-2012, 01:22 AM
But still some guys left in FA that could change what spot we need the most help in. If we added Porter at corner that could change alot.

The Joker
03-21-2012, 01:31 AM
Be great to add Porter and then another CB in the first three rounds of the draft.

Champ, Porter, Rookie, Harris and then a camp battle between Vaughn, Thompson and one or two others would be pretty nice.

canadianbroncosfan
03-21-2012, 02:41 AM

Goodman showed promise and came through big.......in 2-3 games.

The bad far outdid the good.

TonyR
03-21-2012, 06:49 AM
So, what's next? How about true competitive relevance and a major overhaul of what we know Foxball to be? Meanwhile, it sounds like Colts TE Jacob Tamme has priced himself out of Denver's neighborhood, but he will visit Dove Valley, as will Peyton's center Jeff Saturday (on Friday).

Manning's SB 44 nemesis Tracy Porter will stop in today, and the team is expected to contact Billy Volek and Caleb Hanie about backing up the 35-year-old legend. They're also interested in Steelers CB William Gay and Jets TE Matthew Mulligan.

Bucky Brooks expects we'll be seeing plenty of the Smash/Corner combo routes and All-Go concepts Manning had perfected with Indy, a return to zone blocking from the zone read, the Garcon/Collie-ification of Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker, and a lot fewer huddles than we've ever been accustomed to as Broncos fans.

How about the big uglies and their blocking? Ben Muth thinks they're pretty good; he says Orlando Franklin's pass-blocking deficiencies are a matter of technique rather than ability, and the return to a pass-first QB with pocket awareness should bring out the better of Ryan Clady. Chris Kuper reminds Muth of Logan Mankins, he likes the athleticism of Zane Beadles, and although he thinks Denver should probably upgrade over J.D. Walton, he's not so certain Jeff Saturday is the right man for that job.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/the-daily-lard-3-21-12

Lots of links embedded within the article...

BroncoInferno
03-21-2012, 07:33 AM
Caleb Hanie? No thanks.

Rohirrim
03-21-2012, 07:38 AM
So, what's next? How about true competitive relevance and a major overhaul of what we know Foxball to be? Meanwhile, it sounds like Colts TE Jacob Tamme has priced himself out of Denver's neighborhood, but he will visit Dove Valley, as will Peyton's center Jeff Saturday (on Friday).

Manning's SB 44 nemesis Tracy Porter will stop in today, and the team is expected to contact Billy Volek and Caleb Hanie about backing up the 35-year-old legend. They're also interested in Steelers CB William Gay and Jets TE Matthew Mulligan.

Bucky Brooks expects we'll be seeing plenty of the Smash/Corner combo routes and All-Go concepts Manning had perfected with Indy, a return to zone blocking from the zone read, the Garcon/Collie-ification of Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker, and a lot fewer huddles than we've ever been accustomed to as Broncos fans.

How about the big uglies and their blocking? Ben Muth thinks they're pretty good; he says Orlando Franklin's pass-blocking deficiencies are a matter of technique rather than ability, and the return to a pass-first QB with pocket awareness should bring out the better of Ryan Clady. Chris Kuper reminds Muth of Logan Mankins, he likes the athleticism of Zane Beadles, and although he thinks Denver should probably upgrade over J.D. Walton, he's not so certain Jeff Saturday is the right man for that job.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/the-daily-lard-3-21-12

Lots of links embedded within the article...

What Saturday brings to the table is his ability to make the line calls on the fly, while Manning is calling plays and assignments to the skill guys. They work as a team running the no-huddle. My guess is that it would take Walton a while to pick up on that since he probably hasn't run into anything like it before.

lolcopter
03-21-2012, 08:20 AM
Mike Wallace makes too much sense gogogo

pricejj
03-21-2012, 08:31 AM
DeMaryius Thomas was keeping pace statistically with Calvin Johnson the last month of the season. Imagine what he'll do with Manning? He's going to be our legit #1 WR.

PLAN A: NEED OFFENSIVE WEAPONS

We need either Mike Wallace, Kendall Wright, or Stephen Hill...maybe Rueben Randle.

Add in Clark and Stokely, and we should be good to go.

pricejj
03-21-2012, 08:34 AM
he was the best of the other losers we had opposite Champ, but that is not saying much..

I can't count the number of times I saw 21 trailing the play on big gains and TD's..

If he is making more than a big mac this year he is overpaid.. IIRC he is on the books for over 2 MIL way over paid for his lack of stoppage..

Goodman is on the books for $5.58M. He's the 5th highest paid player on the team....might be time to move him.

bendog
03-21-2012, 08:43 AM
What Saturday brings to the table is his ability to make the line calls on the fly, while Manning is calling plays and assignments to the skill guys. They work as a team running the no-huddle. My guess is that it would take Walton a while to pick up on that since he probably hasn't run into anything like it before.

yep. Nails could have doen it, but it's way over walton's head.

Old Dude
03-21-2012, 08:46 AM
It's gonna be interesting. Manning is definitely going to make Denver more attractive to FAs. And the Broncos still have substantial cap room. Now they have a chance to address several roster needs in free agency so that they can go after BPAs in the draft, instead of reaching out of positional desperation.

oubronco
03-21-2012, 08:56 AM
Goodman is on the books for $5.58M. He's the 5th highest paid player on the team....might be time to move him.

Holy Cow!!! Really?

eddie mac
03-21-2012, 09:03 AM

Is that from Spotrac???

pricejj
03-21-2012, 09:09 AM
Is that from Spotrac???

yes.

HOLY CRAP...I just figured out that Dawkins salary is still included on Spotrac...that shouldn't be on there...that means...

The Broncos have $34M remaining in cap space (after Manning)??!??

OMG Broncos are freaking RICH!!!

TonyR
03-21-2012, 09:14 AM
Now they have a chance to address several roster needs in free agency...

Yup, but I remain concerned that they won't do what, or as much as, we want and expect them to do just like last year. The DT position is still a bit of a head scratcher (although Bunkley will greatly increase comfort level here); the Mays decision is a huge head scratcher (there were certainly better options); we desperately need a CB (hopefully Porter gets done); they've added no help for McGahee and there are no reports that they will; and we could still use both a WR and a TE. Can't go into the draft will all of these needs.

TheReverend
03-21-2012, 09:15 AM
Please sign Porter.

PLEASE

:(

Traveler
03-21-2012, 09:16 AM

Didn't give up a 1st. Traded 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounders to BAL for the right to move back into round one.

bendog
03-21-2012, 09:17 AM
but who would want to negotiate with Elway given his recent "actions?" I daresay we'll be left to overpay for maginal talent with piss poor motivation

eddie mac
03-21-2012, 09:22 AM
yes.

HOLY CRAP...I just figured out that Dawkins salary is still included on Spotrac...that shouldn't be on there...that means...

The Broncos have $34M remaining in cap space (after Manning)??!??

OMG Broncos are freaking RICH!!!

Just stop reading that woeful. infactual site.

The figures above via PFT are correct and from an actual NFL source and counterconfirmed by Jason LAC amongst others

lonestar
03-21-2012, 09:27 AM
Mike Wallace makes too much sense gogogo

Wallace is the same as DT just at 5 times the cost. Not to Mention losing a first round pick and frankly PIT could match and time and money are water in the process.
Eddie would have been perfect in the slot. That is what we need. Another slot and #2 to rotate in when we spread it out.

Wallace NADA.

lonestar
03-21-2012, 09:31 AM

Yep he needs to go or become Champ level player for that money.
I knew it was high but that much is nuts, for someone at that level.

pricejj
03-21-2012, 09:36 AM
Just stop reading that woeful. infactual site.

The figures above via PFT are correct and from an actual NFL source and counterconfirmed by Jason LAC amongst others

I don't think so man...I added in all the RFA's and Free Agent signings that the Broncos have made. Spotrac's figures from 2011 are correct. The PFT figure ($40M pre Manning) doesn't include any player salaries...it's just a number pulled out of thin air. I need confirmation with a list of salaries and 2012 cap hits. Until then, I'm inclined to believe Spotrac.

Beantown Bronco
03-21-2012, 09:37 AM
Wallace is the same as DT just at 5 times the cost. Not to Mention losing a first round pick and frankly PIT could match and time and money are water in the process.

Pitt wouldn't be able to match any deal that makes Wallace 5x more expensive than DT. And any FA WR is going to cost more than guys working off their rookie contracts. That's just the way it works.

And what do you propose we do when DT and/or Decker go down again with their annual injuries? We have zero real depth at the position right now. We need at least one more bona fide #1 or #2 receiver.

Eddie would have been perfect in the slot. That is what we need. Another slot and #2 to rotate in when we spread it out.

Huh? Eddie had by far his worst games from the slot. He was only able to do anything when he was lined up outside in his rookie season.

Rabb
03-21-2012, 09:40 AM
How many years are we going to say "but Eddie would be perfect if..."

I liked him as much as the next guy, but Eddie catching balls and reading coverage would have made him perfect, and still a Bronco.

lolcopter
03-21-2012, 09:46 AM

Wallace NADA.

Eddie sucks. Wallace and DT on the outside, decker in the slot

We're not getting any other playmakers at #25 that can contribute immediately and for years to come like Wallace

Rabb
03-21-2012, 09:48 AM
We're not getting any other playmakers at #25 that can contribute immediately and for years to come like Wallace

if our strategy is offense in the 1st, I agree but I would still hope we take one of the DTs available at #25, great class for us to beef up

lolcopter
03-21-2012, 09:50 AM
if our strategy is offense in the 1st, I agree but I would still hope we take one of the DTs available at #25, great class for us to beef up

OR, you give Peyton Manning the #1 deep threat in the league instead of a rotational DT

If Bey Bey or Decker goes down our depth at WR is screwed. That's not an issue if tebow was still the QB but manning needs weapons in the worst kind of way. Not too mention the added experience Wallace would bring to the WR corps

Rabb
03-21-2012, 10:07 AM
OR, you give Peyton Manning the #1 deep threat in the league instead of a rotational DT

If Bey Bey or Decker goes down our depth at WR is screwed. That's not an issue if tebow was still the QB but manning needs weapons in the worst kind of way. Not too mention the added experience Wallace would bring to the WR corps

I am not disagreeing with you :D

lolcopter
03-21-2012, 10:29 AM
:strong:I am not disagreeing with you :D

:strong:

pricejj
03-21-2012, 01:01 PM
...Spencer Larsen visiting the Patriots.

eddie mac
03-21-2012, 01:04 PM
Bunkley is a huge loss IMO, there's basically nothing but mediocre left at DT in FA.

kappys
03-21-2012, 01:06 PM
...Spencer Larsen visiting the Patriots.

I don't think fullbacks have ever had a role in a PM run offense. That said his special teams presence would certainly be missed. I hope we keep him - he is the new Keith Burns.

eddie mac
03-21-2012, 01:09 PM
Klis just said Bunk only played 43% of the snaps last year, that isn't even all 1st and 2nd downs.

Broncos want to re-sign Spencer Larsen.

Tracy Porter and William Gay both in for visits, reckons we only sign one. Big question though from me, was Porter involved in these bounty proceedings???

Baba Booey
03-21-2012, 01:13 PM
Okoye anyone? He'd be solid as part of a rotation

Methinks we'll be taking two DT's in late April.

kappys
03-21-2012, 01:16 PM
Okoye anyone? He'd be solid as part of a rotation

Methinks we'll be taking two DT's in late April.

Okoye is pretty mediocre - only worth a 1 or 2 year deal IMO as a stopgap if he's willing to take it.

eddie mac
03-21-2012, 01:25 PM
Tebow deal on hold, Denver has $5m worth of recapture language which means Jets could owe them that sum.

Benjarvis Green-Ellis signs for the Bengals, 3 year deal

eddie mac
03-21-2012, 02:38 PM
As we stand the Broncos will be on the hook for 3 comp picks in 2013

Bunkley 4th/5th rounder
Royal 4th/5th rounder
Quinn 7th rounder

Adams/Fells cancel each other out and before anyone mentions Manning released players do not count.

This will no doubt change even as soon as today if we announce some signings.

pricejj
03-21-2012, 03:28 PM
Klis just said Bunk only played 43% of the snaps last year, that isn't even all 1st and 2nd downs.

Broncos want to re-sign Spencer Larsen.

Tracy Porter and William Gay both in for visits, reckons we only sign one. Big question though from me, was Porter involved in these bounty proceedings???

Reckons with the Tebow Trade drama, Xanders let them all walk without a contract.

Baba Booey
03-21-2012, 03:36 PM
Has there been any word on McClain since he left here? Would still love to pick him up. Him and Porter both.

pricejj
03-21-2012, 03:52 PM
Mike Klis ‏ @MikeKlis

Wr Andre ""Bubba'' Caldwell, who averaged 38 catches the past 3 seasons for Bengals, is visiting Broncos as I twitter..

yerner
03-21-2012, 03:52 PM
Mike Klis ‏ @MikeKlis

Wr Andre ""Bubba'' Caldwell, who averaged 38 catches the past 3 seasons for Bengals, is visiting Broncos as I twitter..

Called it.

pricejj
03-21-2012, 03:56 PM
Vic Lombardi - Broncos won't sign Porter

Apparently the Broncos are waiting until after player suspensions are doled out.

Lycan
03-21-2012, 04:00 PM
Mike Klis ‏ @MikeKlis

Young, speedy receiver with decent size.

Sign him up.

Rohirrim
03-21-2012, 04:03 PM
Mike Klis ‏ @MikeKlis

It's always good to have a guy on your team named "Bubba."

Now, we just need a Samoan.