PDA

View Full Version : Free Agency Kick Off - Manning, Caldwell, Porter, Adams, Dreesen, Hanie and Tamme signed

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

lonestar
03-14-2012, 05:27 PM
We have not made a HUGE consummated move in UFA since John came to town..

Always looking for bargains.. as not to waste tons of money when they get fat and happy like almost all of mikeys huge moves.. In fact every one of them after John Retired..

Unless someone can name one that panned out all of them, hell even Pryce got fat and lazy after his redo of a contract and he was not even a FA.. Had to be goaded by mikey and Rod a couple of times a year to show up in games..

bowtown
03-14-2012, 05:34 PM

Always looking for bargains.. as not to waste tons of money when they get fat and happy like almost all of mikeys huge moves.. In fact every one of them after John Retired..

Unless someone can name one that panned out all of them, hell even Pryce got fat and lazy after his redo of a contract and he was not even a FA.. Had to be goaded by mikey and Rod a couple of times a year to show up in games..

This is what Champ thinks of your post:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-QBWE98OkBVo/Tgv78YNjlmI/AAAAAAAAA18/eIEOvFxGOBc/s1600/Champ-Bailey.jpg

Hercules Rockefeller
03-14-2012, 05:35 PM

OMFG. It's Day 2 of Year 2 for John, and Year 1 was an abbreviated FA period.

It's the same ****ing **** every year. Oh my God! The Broncos haven't signed anyone yet. The sky is falling!

bowtown
03-14-2012, 05:36 PM
This guy is also not amused:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.aolnews.com/media/2008/11/john-lynch-180sm.jpg

Archer81
03-14-2012, 05:37 PM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-QBWE98OkBVo/Tgv78YNjlmI/AAAAAAAAA18/eIEOvFxGOBc/s1600/Champ-Bailey.jpg

Bailey was a trade, not a FA.

:Broncos:

bowtown
03-14-2012, 05:38 PM

Yes but he was also a huge money deal and was given an enormous contract.

Drunken.Broncoholic
03-14-2012, 05:38 PM

That look is for not bringing in high priced talent.

lonestar
03-14-2012, 05:40 PM

and which year did he come as a UFA?

moron..

Drunken.Broncoholic
03-14-2012, 05:40 PM

It's the same ****ing **** every year. Oh my God! The Broncos haven't signed anyone yet. The sky is falling!

This is not the same as every other year. They have never made an effort to bring in a QB of this caliber that has held up any other moves.

lonestar
03-14-2012, 05:43 PM

yes it is..

morons will never get it they think you have to spend every dime in the bank to be good..

Almost every quality consistent play off team was built via the draft.. with an occasional guy to fill in a hole that was created by an injury..
Or like getting an aging vet to tutor a rookie..

Cito Pelon
03-14-2012, 05:43 PM

I suppose it's possible they're on the phone talking to all these guys they want to sign to replace their own 16-18 players they don't want to re-sign.

Saying, "Hey, just relax, we'll sign you as soon as Peyton signs!"

Something has to start popping pretty soon.

lonestar
03-14-2012, 05:46 PM
This is not the same as every other year. They have never made an effort to bring in a QB of this caliber that has held up any other moves.

they have swung for teh fence on ONE guy a HOF QB, other than that nada always looking for value.

Had PM not hit the streets tehy would be doing what they did last year, finding quality cheap guys like they did with Bunkley and a few others..

Their focus is the draft..

TonyR
03-14-2012, 05:50 PM
8:22 pm Von Miller: How scary would that be if we got Mario Williams? Lebron, dwade, and bosh did it..I would take a huge pay cut to get Mario Williams and Peyton Manning! I just want to win!!! #BroncoNation it's our time! I'm "positive" Tim wouldn't mind competing with Peyton... "We" all could learn something from Mr. Manning. #truth Mario and Manning = I will play this season for free, super bowls are priceless!!!
https://twitter.com/#!/MillerLite40/status/180078899412217856

Cito Pelon
03-14-2012, 05:53 PM
they have swung for teh fence on ONE guy a HOF QB, other than that nada always looking for value.

Had PM not hit the streets tehy would be doing what they did last year, finding quality cheap guys like they did with Bunkley and a few others..

Again, they only have 6 draft picks, but they want to replace 18 of their own FA's. So they better get moving, eh?

BroncoInferno
03-14-2012, 06:08 PM

Exactly. Nevermind the fact the the teams who throw money around in FA almost never get the desired result (Washington, Philly last season), while teams like Pittsburgh, Baltimore and Green Bay contend every year and barely sign anyone in FA>

Drunken.Broncoholic
03-14-2012, 06:11 PM

Also they haven't had too many FA years where their cap space was so much. It's disappointing that they are not pursuing other efforts besides a dead end road in tenn.

Lestat
03-14-2012, 06:15 PM
Von's agent just hit the floor with that tweet.
love his line of thinking though. i love it!
8:22 pm Von Miller: How scary would that be if we got Mario Williams? Lebron, dwade, and bosh did it..I would take a huge pay cut to get Mario Williams and Peyton Manning! I just want to win!!! #BroncoNation it's our time! I'm "positive" Tim wouldn't mind competing with Peyton... "We" all could learn something from Mr. Manning. #truth Mario and Manning = I will play this season for free, super bowls are priceless!!!
https://twitter.com/#!/MillerLite40/status/180078899412217856

BroncoBeavis
03-14-2012, 06:19 PM
Exactly. Nevermind the fact the the teams who throw money around in FA almost never get the desired result (Washington, Philly last season), while teams like Pittsburgh, Baltimore and Green Bay contend every year and barely sign anyone in FA>

How many of them picked up a QB in free agency?

Rohirrim
03-14-2012, 06:28 PM
Hey, eddie mac, your thread is broken. I don't see any Broncos signings on the first page.

BroncoInferno
03-14-2012, 06:30 PM
How many of them picked up a QB in free agency?

How many times has an all-time, elite QB been available in FA?

The last two times that happened was Montana with KC and Favre with Minnesota. Each team reached their conference championship game with said QBs. Minnesota had not made it that far since '98, and KC has not even won a playoff game of any sort since Montana.

oubronco
03-14-2012, 07:08 PM
I suppose it's possible they're on the phone talking to all these guys they want to sign to replace their own 16-18 players they don't want to re-sign.

Amazing how some don't get this

TonyR
03-14-2012, 07:11 PM
Dolphins sign Richard Marshall. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/14/richard-marshall-has-three-year-agreement-with-dolphins/

Eagles and Bucs may be after Curtis Lofton
http://atlanta.sbnation.com/atlanta-falcons/2012/3/14/2872059/curtis-lofton-free-agency-eagles-tweet-a-false-alarm-says-gerald-mccoy

BroncoInferno
03-14-2012, 07:12 PM
Apparently, CB Richard Marshall signed with Miami. I was hoping we might make a push for him given his former association with Fox. Oh well. Looks like will have to address CB in the draft. I hate spending 1st rounders on CBs, but there's little alternative now.

AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
Richard Marshall just tweeted that he reached agreement on a three-year deal with Miami

TheReverend
03-14-2012, 07:12 PM
Amazing how some don't get this

lol because actions or history support this pov

TheReverend
03-14-2012, 07:13 PM
Apparently, CB Richard Marshall signed with Miami. I was hoping we might make a push for him given his former association with Fox. Oh well. Looks like will have to address CB in the draft. I hate spending 1st rounders on CBs, but there's little alternative now.

Unless someone bones on Jenkins and causes Kirk to slide, it won't be worth it.

TonyR
03-14-2012, 07:13 PM

I hope you're right, but I don't see why they'd need to wait to bring people in and talk to them (which they've done very little of) or to even sign people (which they've done none of). But it would be a lot of fun to land Manning tomorrow and then score a few other players to bolster some weak spots. I'm not optimistic at this point...

oubronco
03-14-2012, 07:14 PM
lol because actions or history support this pov

What the fact they have a shytload of UFA's that either need resigned or replaced

BroncoInferno
03-14-2012, 07:18 PM
Unless someone bones on Jenkins and causes Kirk to slide, it won't be worth it.

You could be right. It's a hard sell on Jenkins, because he's the NFLs version of Shawn Kemp. Big risk, tons of talent. My preference would be to maximize the pass rush potential with an inside rusher like Still or Fletcher Cox, or another outside rusher like Whitney Mercilus or Andre Branch and hope the defensive backfield can hold up.

ScottXray
03-14-2012, 07:24 PM
Yes but he was also a huge money deal and was given an enormous contract.

Well, Portis is available! Bring him back and we get both at the same time.

Could spell McGahee until he is broken.

bowtown
03-14-2012, 07:25 PM
Then who's going to spell Portis? He's been broken for years.

ClamChowdah
03-14-2012, 07:27 PM
What about Benjarvus Green-Ellis, looks like hes done in NE and wants a free agent deal, never fumbled in his career.

Cito Pelon
03-14-2012, 08:05 PM
I hope you're right, but I don't see why they'd need to wait to bring people in and talk to them (which they've done very little of) or to even sign people (which they've done none of). But it would be a lot of fun to land Manning tomorrow and then score a few other players to bolster some weak spots. I'm not optimistic at this point...

Looking at the situation optimistically, maybe there ARE actually some agents and players waiting to see if Denver signs Manning before they make a commitment. It's a plausible story, right?

oubronco
03-14-2012, 08:07 PM
Looking at the situation optimistically, maybe there ARE actually some agents and players waiting to see if Denver signs Manning before they make a commitment. It's a plausible story, right?

Sure why not

Tim
03-14-2012, 08:07 PM
What about Benjarvus Green-Ellis, looks like hes done in NE and wants a free agent deal, never fumbled in his career.

he sucks

ScottXray
03-14-2012, 08:09 PM
Then who's going to spell Portis? He's been broken for years.

I meant until Portis breaks...Then Ball has to step in to spell McGahee..

By the end of the year it will be Ball the rest of the way.

oubronco
03-14-2012, 08:12 PM
By the end of the year it will be Ball the rest of the way.

That's what she said

Cito Pelon
03-14-2012, 08:17 PM
Sure why not

I'm trying to talk myself into a peaceful sleep, having good thoughts, yes, peaceful dream world here I come.

TheReverend
03-14-2012, 08:25 PM
What the fact they have a shytload of UFA's that either need resigned or replaced

Over your head. Im stunned.

You could be right. It's a hard sell on Jenkins, because he's the NFLs version of Shawn Kemp. Big risk, tons of talent. My preference would be to maximize the pass rush potential with an inside rusher like Still or Fletcher Cox, or another outside rusher like Whitney Mercilus or Andre Branch and hope the defensive backfield can hold up.

We need Still. Then again, we also needed Carr. Maybe we can finally pry the piggy bank open and make a run at a handful of Connor/Lofton, Grubbs, Bunkley, Winston, Ross

ScottXray
03-14-2012, 08:40 PM
LBs are starting to make visits. Time to get going on this Broncos.

eddie mac
03-15-2012, 05:25 AM
Day 3 kicks off

Any Broncos signings today???

BroncoBeavis
03-15-2012, 06:18 AM
How many times has an all-time, elite QB been available in FA?

The last two times that happened was Montana with KC and Favre with Minnesota. Each team reached their conference championship game with said QBs. Minnesota had not made it that far since '98, and KC has not even won a playoff game of any sort since Montana.

Great, we can maybe get one game further than this year. If we can afford to put 22 guys on the field with the most expensive player in NFL history. So he can get shelled like Cool Joe in the AFC championship. Or maybe get another coach fired like Minny once it's clear the gamble backfired.

Then again both of those dudes had pretty stellar playoff records. Your guy only won a playoff game in a handful of seasons. And is the only one of the 3 with a losing record in the postseason.

cmhargrove
03-15-2012, 06:25 AM
I see that Robery Gallery was released by Seattle. Don't you think he would be worth a look? If he is healed up, he would certainly be an improvement over Beadles and insurance for Kuper if his recovery is lengthy.

No looks?

ol#7
03-15-2012, 06:32 AM
I am still scratching my head over why we wouldnt have given Hillis a look for 1 year 3mil. Not only would that have kept him away from the chefs, it would have given the FO plenty of cover with the fans no matter what happens next.

Beantown Bronco
03-15-2012, 06:39 AM
We have to see what happens with Manning before we move on.

Why? Why can't we sign some defenders? Regardless of what Manning decides, we need to improve our defense and we'd have at least $20+ mil to do it.

Its good to sit out first week of FA anyways. Most of the big DT you all wanted last yr didn't play all that well in their new teams. Bunkley was probably best move at that position league wide and he was in a trade, and most of you hated it.

Pure insanity. Mebane, Jenkins and Cofield were all solid last year and are all better than Bunkley. I'd love to know what you are basing this statement off of.

Beantown Bronco
03-15-2012, 06:42 AM

$50 mil in cap room.

Can't even re-sign our own kicker and punter to real contracts.

Can't re-sign anyone.

Bring in one league minimum type guy at safety for a visit and don't make a real offer.

There's no way to really spin this. It's comical.

55CrushEm
03-15-2012, 06:51 AM
$50 mil in cap room.

Can't re-sign anyone.

Bring in one league minimum type guy at safety for a visit and don't make a real offer.

Got to agree.

**** you, Elway! You gutless Drunk!!!!!

:giggle:

TonyR
03-15-2012, 06:53 AM
$50 mil in cap room.

Can't re-sign anyone.

Yup. Meanwhile in Phila, with much less cap room, they signed some of their better players (Todd Herremans, Trent Cole, DeSean Jackson, and working on LeSean McCoy) to extensions and are rumored to be sniffing around Curtis Lofton to fill their biggest need. Frustrating.

Beantown Bronco
03-15-2012, 07:00 AM
Yup. Meanwhile in Phila, with much less cap room, they signed some of their better players (Todd Herremans, Trent Cole, DeSean Jackson, and working on LeSean McCoy) to extensions and are rumored to be sniffing around Curtis Lofton to fill their biggest need. Frustrating.

And this is the key thing for me. People think we're all freaking out cause we're not in the Vincent Jackson, Mario Williams, etc. sweepstakes and signing every big name out there. That's not it at all. Most of my anger is the result of us seemingly not even making an honest effort to re-sign the very few guys we had from last year that were actually worth a damn. We're talking MAYBE five guys. And apparently, we've done nothing but insult them all with lowball offers despite having more cap room than we've ever had in the history of the team and despite the fact that Bowlen should have more cash on hand than he's had in years courtesy of our two playoff games last year and all the extra cash Tebow has seemingly brought in. It is embarrassing.

ol#7
03-15-2012, 07:05 AM
Why? Why can't we sign some defenders? Regardless of what Manning decides, we need to improve our defense and we'd have at least $20+ mil to do it.

Pure insanity. Mebane, Jenkins and Cofield were all solid last year and are all better than Bunkley. I'd love to know what you are basing this statement off of.

He is basing that statement off the delusion that the Broncos can do no wrong, hence what they are doing now must be 'smart'. Really no other way to argue it.

I think we are seeing again that this team is afraid to part with money, or is unable to do so. Perhaps Bowlen needs a guy like Manning to be able to sell to his money men, or they wont budge.

55CrushEm
03-15-2012, 07:05 AM
And this is the key thing for me. People think we're all freaking out cause we're not in the Vincent Jackson, Mario Williams, etc. sweepstakes and signing every big name out there. That's not it at all. Most of my anger is the result of us seemingly not even making an honest effort to re-sign the very few guys we had from last year that were actually worth a damn. We're talking MAYBE five guys. And apparently, we've done nothing but insult them all with lowball offers despite having more cap room than we've ever had in the history of the team and despite the fact that Bowlen should have more cash on hand than he's had in years courtesy of our two playoff games last year and all the extra cash Tebow has seemingly brought in. It is embarrassing.

Yup. You hit the nail squarely on the head. Spot on.

barryr
03-15-2012, 07:06 AM
Maybe the Broncos really do think this roster just needs Manning to get to the Super Bowl.

ol#7
03-15-2012, 07:07 AM

Remeber when Pat Bowlen told the voters of Denver that he needed a new stadium so that the Broncos could afford to compete and sign free agents...

DENVERDUI55
03-15-2012, 07:09 AM
I can't believe people are surprised we haven't signed any big names. Until manning this year when was last time we chased a big name player? Ihop? We sign retreads and has beens.

TonyR
03-15-2012, 07:09 AM
It is embarrassing.

Yup. I bring up Philly because that's the media market I'm in. They weren't expected to do much because of all the spending they did last year and yet they've already done more than we have. I'm hoping there's a master plan developing behind the scenes that we don't know about but after last year it's hard to be optimistic about any such thing. And I'm wondering why Peyton Manning would want to come to an organization that's sitting on its cap $ instead of making much needed improvements?

TonyR
03-15-2012, 07:10 AM
I can't believe people are surprised we haven't signed any big names.

I don't necessarily want "big names". I just want some upgrades and depth and we haven't even seen that. I want to see that an effort is being made.

ol#7
03-15-2012, 07:12 AM
I can't believe people are surprised we haven't signed any big names. Until manning this year when was last time we chased a big name player? Ihop? We sign retreads and has beens.

We aren't signing anybody. Denver needed another back and Hillis, a fan favorite, just went to the chefs for 3 mil.

Last year Mebane signed an extremely cap friendly deal, if we had paid that then that would be one less position we are needing to fill this year.

We used to target guys that we wanted and got them early, even if they werent the biggest names. Picking at the leftovers though shows they have no plan except to save $$

ND Bronco Fan
03-15-2012, 07:16 AM
Remeber when Pat Bowlen told the voters of Denver that he needed a new stadium so that the Broncos could afford to compete and sign free agents...

Well done

barryr
03-15-2012, 07:17 AM
I am wondering if the Broncos do not get Manning and are stuck signing ordinary players in free agency and plan to keep Tebow, if the team did not do well next season, would it all fall on Tebow's shoulders?

Beantown Bronco
03-15-2012, 07:17 AM

I think you need to re-read my post above. Most are more surprised by the lack of signing of anyone, namely our own FAs, not just "big names"......and the lack of ability to do anything beyond hosting Manning. It seems as if this front office can literally only handle the recruiting of one FA at a time. We simply cannot multi-task. Why?

And we've got some HUGE needs at positions like OG where they never even attempted to have a visit with what was arguably the best OG FA in recent league history. That's just bizarre. Even if you know you aren't going to sign him, at least bring him in for a visit. Make it look like you're trying. At worst, you drive up his asking price and make one of your opponents pay more for him than they would otherwise. Where's the negative in that? It's not like he'd be taking their attention away from all these other guys that are not visiting.

TheReverend
03-15-2012, 07:18 AM
"Big names"?

Let's start with "names" and once we've put the effort to establish that, then we can work on adjectives to be upset over.

oubronco
03-15-2012, 07:21 AM
Here this might help them

http://www.marketingshift.com/images/mshift/football-for-dummies.jpg

TonyR
03-15-2012, 07:22 AM
Scouting the Broncos: Do Boss, Carter, Langford, Atogwe fit?

With the tension of the Manning issue burning up Broncos Country, and feelings of frustration rising over Denver having added no players yet, it’s easy to miss who’s still available. In addition, new players, many of whom are quality guys who believe that the market will pay more than they are currently being offered, come into free agency daily as they fail to reach accords with their teams. That’s exactly as we will see happen in Denver. We often get ‘stuck’ at the beginning of the FA period in our thinking about the big targets, but a lot of upgrades are out there. Let's check in on a few players who are still available, although they may go quickly:

TE - Kevin Boss...

DE - Andre Carter...

DE - Kendall Langford...

FS - Oshiomogho Atogwe...

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/scouting-the-broncos-do-boss-carter-langford-atogwe-fit

HooptyHoops
03-15-2012, 07:25 AM
Definitely has me nervous....

TonyR
03-15-2012, 07:25 AM
Denver needed another back and Hillis, a fan favorite, just went to the chefs for 3 mil.

I don't disagree with your overall point but I think there's a reason Hillis is getting ready to play for his 3rd team...

Jetmeck
03-15-2012, 07:27 AM
doing something FO besides chasing Manning.................

ol#7
03-15-2012, 07:30 AM
I don't disagree with your overall point but I think there's a reason Hillis is getting ready to play for his 3rd team...

Im just saying that if they had even brought him in, it would have been a distraction for the fans and perhaps caused a division rival to pay up a bit more.

Seems like other teams have this figured out and we are completely incompetent at the process.

barryr
03-15-2012, 07:33 AM
doing something FO besides chasing Manning.................

Come on, Mike Adams isn't enough for you? :P

BroncoBeavis
03-15-2012, 07:36 AM

Then again, once you spend the first few days of FA dicking away the cream of the crop, your standards need to lower.

55CrushEm
03-15-2012, 07:36 AM
Yeah....the more I think about this....the more pissed I get.

To Beantown's point.....we aren't even TALKING to anyone....much less signing anyone. Absolutely pathetic.

And really, honestly....it can mean 1 of 2 things. Pat's cash budget is extremely low......and/or the FO honestly believes that Manning is all we need to win a Superbowl.

****ing infuriating.

cmhargrove
03-15-2012, 07:44 AM
Yeah....the more I think about this....the more pissed I get.

To Beantown's point.....we aren't even TALKING to anyone....much less signing anyone. Absolutely pathetic.

And really, honestly....it can mean 1 of 2 things. Pat's cash budget is extremely low......and/or the FO honestly believes that Manning is all we need to win a Superbowl.

****ing infuriating.

Its not so bad in the long run. We will either: 1) go all in on Manning, which with last year's team could have gotten us at least 12 wins. Or 2) keep building through the draft like the Patriots, Giants, Steelers, and Packers do (I kind of like their approach myself).

However, this year's draft needs to be another home run for theory 2 to work.

55CrushEm
03-15-2012, 07:50 AM
Its not so bad in the long run. We will either: 1) go all in on Manning, which with last year's team could have gotten us at least 12 wins. Or 2) keep building through the draft like the Patriots, Giants, Steelers, and Packers do (I kind of like their approach myself).

I hear you.....but does 12 wins really matter? A 9 win team just won the title. Once a franchise has tasted a Superbowl, like we have....it's kind of Superbowl or bust. And we are MANY pieces away from a Superbowl....not just Manning.

The lack of ANY activity is pathetic. And 6 draft picks isn't enough....you still need to round out your roster in FA. But apparently not us.....we're just fine here. No plan needed. [sarcasm]

Mjolnir
03-15-2012, 07:51 AM
Any news on if they are still considering bringing in Tolbert?

DBroncos4life
03-15-2012, 07:54 AM
Carr, Nicks, and Finn are guys I wanted and none of them are worth what they got. I mean come on the Bucs are paying over 10 million for a guard. The Cowboys are paying a crap load of money for a corner that played the same side as the guy they have now. Finn was the on smart money spent and even that would be too much for our number two CB. Realistically signing just Carr and Nicks will cost more then just Manning and they are not as good.

oubronco
03-15-2012, 07:55 AM
Ben Grubbs | OG Previous Team: Baltimore Exp: 5 years

Analysis: Ex-Baltimore Ravens offensive lineman Ben Grubbs has agreed to a five-year, $36 million contract with the New Orleans Saints, league sources said Thursday.

Ex-Ravens offensive lineman Ben Grubbs has agreed to a five-year, $36 million contract with the New Orleans Saints, league sources said Thursday.

The contract is fully guaranteed for $16 million and includes a $10 million signing bonus.

Old Dude
03-15-2012, 07:57 AM
Darn. Mark another off the list.

jhns
03-15-2012, 07:58 AM
Most of you need to calm down. The offseason just started. They still have a few days before preseason starts...

barryr
03-15-2012, 08:00 AM
Carr, Nicks, and Finn are guys I wanted and none of them are worth what they got. I mean come on the Bucs are paying over 10 million for a guard. The Cowboys are paying a crap load of money for a corner that played the same side as the guy they have now. Finn was the on smart money spent and even that would be too much for our number two CB. Realistically signing just Carr and Nicks will cost more then just Manning and they are not as good.

Who is really worth what they get? Manning is worth over 20mil. at this stage of his career?

DBroncos4life
03-15-2012, 08:01 AM
Ben Grubbs | OG Previous Team: Baltimore Exp: 5 years

Analysis: Ex-Baltimore Ravens offensive lineman Ben Grubbs has agreed to a five-year, $36 million contract with the New Orleans Saints, league sources said Thursday.

Ex-Ravens offensive lineman Ben Grubbs has agreed to a five-year, $36 million contract with the New Orleans Saints, league sources said Thursday.

The contract is fully guaranteed for $16 million and includes a $10 million signing bonus.

That's the second big FA to leave the Ravens. It would be nice to see them start to slide.

TheReverend
03-15-2012, 08:01 AM

Considering Tim's win % was equivalent to an 11-5 season (not even counting the near come back vs SD which would bump it over 12-4) then yes, spending over 20 million on Manning to come in and maintain the status quo is thje very least I would expect.

BroncoBeavis
03-15-2012, 08:02 AM

If all the guys you want are going for more than you 'think' they're worth, you need to adjust your thinking, not your standards.

Especially when your team has more cap space than any in the league.

cmhargrove
03-15-2012, 08:06 AM
I hear you.....but does 12 wins really matter? A 9 win team just won the title. Once a franchise has tasted a Superbowl, like we have....it's kind of Superbowl or bust. And we are MANY pieces away from a Superbowl....not just Manning.

The lack of ANY activity is pathetic. And 6 draft picks isn't enough....you still need to round out your roster in FA. But apparently not us.....we're just fine here. No plan needed. [sarcasm]

Ok, so I meant 9 regular season wins, then 3 playoff wins. :lombardi:

We proved we could hang with the Patriots (regular season game) if we could just put points on the board and control the clock. I have to believe that Manning knows how to keep moving the chains, and McGahee could punch it in when we get close. Honestly, lets look at how we started the season last year. If Manning was throwing to Lloyd, Thomas, Royal, Decker (with a seriously threatening run game) don't you think we would have easily put up 30+ points on almost anyone? It would have put other teams in passing situations early and could have led to 5 more Miller sacks, and a few more by Elvis. Team Synergy.

Don't get me wrong, i'm even cool with Tebow going into this season. I am just looking to build a solid long term core through the draft, and not having to overpay for past production players. That would be my goal if I were an NFL owner - pay out the ass for the best recruiting scouts and positional coaches available. Develop your own. Let them go somewhere else when they want to be overpaid.

DBroncos4life
03-15-2012, 08:07 AM
Who is really worth what they get? Manning is worth over 20mil. at this stage of his career?

I don't what a 10 million dollar CB that is just going to get picked on all game. Its bad enough I get to watch a four million dollar one get burnt. I would rather us get Trufant and save a few bucks for some DTs. No guard is worth over 10 million a season. The Saints replaced a pro bowl guard with a cheaper pro bowl guard. As for Manning yes he is.

barryr
03-15-2012, 08:07 AM
If all the guys you want are going for more than you 'think' they're worth, you need to adjust your thinking, not your standards.

Especially when that line of thinking leaves you out in the cold and picking from scraps when the better players have all been "overpaid" by other teams.

cmhargrove
03-15-2012, 08:08 AM
Considering Tim's win % was equivalent to an 11-5 season (not even counting the near come back vs SD which would bump it over 12-4) then yes, spending over 20 million on Manning to come in and maintain the status quo is thje very least I would expect.

I'm not convinced that Tebow would have won those early games either. We had team struggles, new coaches, and were still putting the pieces together on offense and defense. You can extrapolate his numbers, but i believe he would have won at about the same rate as Orton (in the beginning of the season).

jhns
03-15-2012, 08:10 AM

Look at it this way: Bowlen only has one more year of being really cheap before the league starts forcing him to spend. If we don't get Manning, or Mario Williams, we will have to start handing out some contracts next offseason. There is no way we are close to the future cap floor.

BroncoBeavis
03-15-2012, 08:11 AM
I'm not convinced that Tebow would have won those early games either. We had team struggles, new coaches, and were still putting the pieces together on offense and defense. You can extrapolate his numbers, but i believe he would have won at about the same rate as Orton (in the beginning of the season).

Did you watch the first Chargers game?

jhns
03-15-2012, 08:13 AM

Yeah right. We were in multiple games where Orton turned it over, or just failed, late. The defense was making the same plays they were later in the year. You act like there wasn't a huge performance difference between the first and second half of the chargers game. We didn't just suddenly fix everything around the QB at halftime in the chargers game...

TheReverend

Vehemently disagree.

Not only would Tim have been better from getting first team TC and PS play, but the Orton money couldve more than afforded an all-pro like Jonathan Joseph. Its also likely Tim wouldve been far better down the stretch and that we wouldve kept Lloyd when we realized we were more competitive with Tim and had a WR crop that didn't drop half the balls.

BroncoBeavis
Look at it this way: Bowlen only has one more year of being really cheap before the league starts forcing him to spend. If we don't get Manning, or Mario Williams, we will have to start handing out some contracts next offseason. There is no way we are close to the future cap floor.

So we have a team that's either going to bet everything on a 90mil QB with neck problems. Or pack it in and work overtime to not sign anyone and screw the year with the lowest payroll in the league.

And I'm sure the end product would be all Tim Tebow's fault.

barryr
03-15-2012, 08:14 AM
I don't what a 10 million dollar CB that is just going to get picked on all game. Its bad enough I get to watch a four million dollar one get burnt. I would rather us get Trufant and save a few bucks for some DTs. No guard is worth over 10 million a season. The Saints replaced a pro bowl guard with a cheaper pro bowl guard. As for Manning yes he is.

Trufant also has a chonic back problem and is 31 years old. Nice savings there. Teams always worrying if players are worth the money generally are picking from the cheap and hoping for max production. Good luck with that philosophy. And the Saints obviously think guards are important.

BroncoBeavis
03-15-2012, 08:15 AM
Vehemently disagree.

Not only would Tim have been better from getting first team TC and PS play, but the Orton money couldve more than afforded an all-pro like Jonathan Joseph. Its also likely Tim wouldve been far better down the stretch and that we wouldve kept Lloyd when we realized we were more competitive with Tim and had a WR crop that didn't drop half the balls.

Plus Tim would've had preseason time with his Receivers to get in sync vs being thrown in midseason after the offense had already been adjusted to that other guy.

DBroncos4life
03-15-2012, 08:15 AM

You're right the Bucs got a steal and so did the Cowboys. Rogers is better then Carr and he signing a 4 year 31 million deal.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-15-2012, 08:18 AM

But is Tim's rate sustainable? By all statistical measures posited by these football statisticians like Barnwell, it's not. Because football seasons are small sample sizes, anomolies occur, so its always possible, but unless Tim significantly improves, I dont see us improving as a team. The one thing that worried me about him was that he didn't seem to improve much as the season went on (with his decision making). Or, at least, it improved inconsistently. If he can take a huge step forward with the mental side of the game, then great. I'm just not sure he has that. And yes, i do think the playcalling was pretty **** last year, but still, he was incredibly inconsistent.

Peyton Manning has proven himself to be a "rising tide raises all ships" kind of player. And, if healthy, I have no doubt you'll see our receivers and line's metrics improve. Our running game will probably suffer a bit, but we'll have more of a balanced attack.

jhns
03-15-2012, 08:18 AM
So we have a team that's either going to bet everything on a 90mil QB with neck problems. Or pack it in and work overtime to not sign anyone and screw the year with the lowest payroll in the league.

And I'm sure the end product would be all Tim Tebow's fault.

Well, that is only if they don't bring others in. Again, we are 2.5 days into the part of the offseason where we can start getting new players.

I do find some of the Tebow haters arguments interesting. We won a ton with Tebow, and it is his fault when we lose. They then talk about all these guys we need to sign with Manning, so that we can win the SB. So Tebow doesn't need a team around him, but one of the best ever does. It is pretty funny. And yes, everyone will blame Tebow if he starts and doesn't win the SB with this weak squad.

pricejj
03-15-2012, 08:20 AM

Good luck finding a starting MLB, SS, NT, WR, TE, and FB in the draft...

...not to mention another RB, WOLB, DT, CB, and backup QB.

The Broncos poor drafts, and inability to resign their own players, are the primary reasons why we need to sign 11 starter quality players this offseason...that's half the team.

barryr
03-15-2012, 08:20 AM
You're right the Bucs got a steal and so did the Cowboys. Rogers is better then Carr and he signing a 4 year 31 million deal.

Rogers re-signed with his team while Carr signed elsewhere and is 5 years younger than Rogers. But instead of trying to sign these guys, like in another post, you'd be happy if the Broncos signed a 31 year old Trufant, who can't stay healthy and has a chronic back problem. Yeah, Super Bowl!

DBroncos4life
03-15-2012, 08:21 AM
Trufant also has a chonic back problem and is 31 years old. Nice savings there. Teams always worrying if players are worth the money generally are picking from the cheap and hoping for max production. Good luck with that philosophy. And the Saints obviously think guards are important.

Carr will be cut in two years after they find out he can't play the side Mike Jenkins plays. The Saints do value guards. Just not for over 10 mill a year. No team should.

barryr
03-15-2012, 08:22 AM
Well, that is only if they don't bring others in. Again, we are 2.5 days into the part of the offseason where we can start getting new players.

I do find some of the Tebow haters arguments interesting. We won a ton with Tebow, and it is his fault when we lose. They then talk about all these guys we need to sign with Manning, so that we can win the SB. So Tebow doesn't need a team around him, but one of the best ever does. It is pretty funny. And yes, everyone will blame Tebow if he starts and doesn't win the SB with this weak squad.

True, I have noticed that myself. Manning needs help and get 20mi. per year to boot, but Tebow doesn't need that same help, just his footwork.

barryr
03-15-2012, 08:23 AM
Carr will be cut in two years after they find out he can't play the side Mike Jenkins plays. The Saints do value guards. Just not for over 10 mill a year. No team should.

But many teams should value a 20 mil. 36 year old QB coming off multiple surgeries on his neck? Ah, I see.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-15-2012, 08:26 AM
But many teams should value a 20 mil. 36 year old QB coming off multiple surgeries on his neck? Ah, I see.

When the quarterback is arguably one of the top 5 to ever play the game? Yeah, it might be worth a shot

BroncoBeavis
03-15-2012, 08:27 AM
But is Tim's rate sustainable? By all statistical measures posited by these football statisticians like Barnwell, it's not. Because football seasons are small sample sizes, anomolies occur, so its always possible, but unless Tim significantly improves, I dont see us improving as a team. The one thing that worried me about him was that he didn't seem to improve much as the season went on (with his decision making). Or, at least, it improved inconsistently. If he can take a huge step forward with the mental side of the game, then great. I'm just not sure he has that. And yes, i do think the playcalling was pretty **** last year, but still, he was incredibly inconsistent.

Peyton Manning has proven himself to be a "rising tide raises all ships" kind of player. And, if healthy, I have no doubt you'll see our receivers and line's metrics improve. Our running game will probably suffer a bit, but we'll have more of a balanced attack.

I'm sure any good statistician would be fine with extrapolating a QB's whole career based on his first 16 games. Small sample size is one thing. Having that small sample automatically biased toward one conclusion is a step beyond.

DBroncos4life
03-15-2012, 08:28 AM
Rogers re-signed with his team while Carr signed elsewhere and is 5 years younger than Rogers. But instead of trying to sign these guys, like in another post, you'd be happy if the Broncos signed a 31 year old Trufant, who can't stay healthy and has a chronic back problem. Yeah, Super Bowl!

I'm all for signing Trufant to a one year deal like the 49ers did with Rogers the year before. He still is better then Goodman. But I guess we can't get players under 10 billion a year.

pricejj
03-15-2012, 08:29 AM

The Saints just signed Ben Grubbs (Pro Bowl Guard) at $6M per year. You would think the Broncos would be interested in a player like Grubbs. The Broncos have the worst rated OG in the NFL (Beadles), and another (Kuper)who's foot was on sideways.

barryr
When the quarterback is arguably one of the top 5 to ever play the game? Yeah, it might be worth a shot

Then one would expect all but maybe the Packers and Steelers going after Manning or do they not want to go to the Super Bowl?

BroncoBeavis
True, I have noticed that myself. Manning needs help and get 20mi. per year to boot, but Tebow doesn't need that same help, just his footwork.

It's honestly because many of them want Tebow to fail so they can move on. They're often the same ones who routinely play the superfan cards.

DBroncos4life
03-15-2012, 08:30 AM

Well four teams are holding out hope for him right now.

barryr
03-15-2012, 08:30 AM
I'm all for signing Trufant to a one year deal like the 49ers did with Rogers the year before. He still is better then Goodman. But I guess we can't get players under 10 billion a year.

He isn't better than Goodman sitting on the sidelines.

BroncoBeavis
03-15-2012, 08:31 AM
Then one would expect all but maybe the Packers and Steelers going after Manning or do they not want to go to the Super Bowl?

No, only EFX, GB, NO, the Giants, Pittsburgh and NE like Super Bowls.

Everyone else just like to be a part of the league. Win a few games every now and again.

DBroncos4life
03-15-2012, 08:32 AM
The Saints just signed Ben Grubbs (Pro Bowl Guard) at $6M per year. You would think the Broncos would be interested in a player like Grubbs. The Broncos have the worst rated OG in the NFL (Beadles), and another (Kuper)who's foot was on sideways.

I don't disagree with that at all.

barryr
03-15-2012, 08:32 AM
Well four teams are holding out hope for him right now.

So the Broncos are in company of such great organizations like Miami, the Cards, and Titans. Real comforting.

gyldenlove
03-15-2012, 08:34 AM
So the Broncos are in company of such great organizations like Miami, the Cards, and Titans. Real comforting.

That is sadly how much talent we have on the team - we are not in the same league as the Steelers, Patriots, Packers or Saints, we are .500 team at best.

pricejj
03-15-2012, 08:35 AM

The Broncos have $92.8M allocated to active contracts. The CBA requires spending at least 90% of the cap floor, which would be $108M this year. Reserving $5M for players in the draft, the Broncos would only have to spend an additional $10M.

barryr
03-15-2012, 08:37 AM
That is sadly how much talent we have on the team - we are not in the same league as the Steelers, Patriots, Packers or Saints, we are .500 team at best.

And Manning still can't even decide which team yet? Even more comforting. I hope the Broncos are not overvaluing this roster and really think it is just a Manning away.

Dedhed
But is Tim's rate sustainable? By all statistical measures posited by these football statisticians like Barnwell, it's not. Because football seasons are small sample sizes, anomolies occur, so its always possible, but unless Tim significantly improves, I dont see us improving as a team. I agree with a great deal of this, but I find it hard to imagine Tim not improving with a full off-season of OTAs and camp as the starter. I find even harder to imagine the offense not making great strides with a full off-season to build continuity and comfort with each other.

The one thing that worried me about him was that he didn't seem to improve much as the season went on (with his decision making). Or, at least, it improved inconsistently.I disagree with this. I think that his decision making was extremely impressive for a young QB. The problem was that it was very conservative and overly reliant on himself. He needs to trust his receivers to make plays and that trust, I believe, comes through more consistent work together.

If he can take a huge step forward with the mental side of the game, then great. I'm just not sure he has that. And yes, i do think the playcalling was pretty **** last year, but still, he was incredibly inconsistent.Again, I agree with your premise, but I think all of this is contingent on trust, which is very difficult to manufacture, and was handicapped by everything that happened last year both with the lockout and the Orton debacle.

McCoy needs to learn to trust Tebow and put together a more balanced game plan that keeps defenses honest. Tebow needs to learn to trust his WRs and his ability to put the ball into tighter windows.

Peyton Manning has proven himself to be a "rising tide raises all ships" kind of player. And, if healthy, I have no doubt you'll see our receivers and line's metrics improve. Our running game will probably suffer a bit, but we'll have more of a balanced attack.I agree completely that Manning is that type of player, but I also think that Tebow has shown a very strong propensity to be that also "raises all ships."

The huge problem I see with adding Manning is that by removing Tebow from the equation we aren't looking to upgrade an 8-8, playoff football team. We are looking to upgrade the worst team in football over the last year and a half. Without Tebow we were among the worst rushing teams in the league (25th). The rushing game alone was by far the biggest contributor to our success last year.

DBroncos4life
He isn't better than Goodman sitting on the sidelines.

That is debatable. One year deal is worth the risk. Hes only missed a handful of games prior to last year.

barryr
03-15-2012, 08:40 AM
That is debatable. One year deal is worth the risk. Hes only missed a handful of games prior to last year.

I am no fan of Goodman, he stinks, but a chronic back problem is not good for anyone, especially someone trying to play football.

RADRHATR
03-15-2012, 08:40 AM

Ahhhh yes, the glory days. When we won the division and beat the Steelers in the playoffs. What??? That was last year???

jhns
03-15-2012, 08:41 AM
The Broncos have $92.8M allocated to active contracts. The CBA requires spending at least 90% of the cap floor, which would be $108M this year. Reserving $5M for players in the draft, the Broncos would only have to spend an additional $10M.

Is it 90% of the base cap, or is it 90% of your own cap? Would we have to spend 90% of the cap, including the $20 mil we rolled over from last year and the $1.5 we get from the Cowboys and Redskins? I have been wondering this and didn't find an answer when I googled.

DBroncos4life
03-15-2012, 08:42 AM

That's the place you are when your FO thinks it needs a QB.

TheReverend
03-15-2012, 08:45 AM

No floor till 2013

DBroncos4life
03-15-2012, 08:46 AM
I am no fan of Goodman, he stinks, but a chronic back problem is not good for anyone, especially someone trying to play football.

He's worth the risk IMO. I would take him over Newman.

barryr
03-15-2012, 08:49 AM

If looking for the bottom of the barrel CB's, then sure.

gyldenlove
03-15-2012, 08:50 AM
And Manning still can't even decide which team yet? Even more comforting. I hope the Broncos are not overvaluing this roster and really think it is just a Manning away.

It probably has more to do with budget and cap considerations, wether or not we have to drop 30+ mill on Manning really does determine how much is left for other positions.

barryr
03-15-2012, 08:50 AM

Oh, I thought it was for the Super Bowl.

BroncoBeavis
03-15-2012, 08:51 AM

So those are the only teams that need a QB? I've heard nothing but bad things about how moronic/bad the Titans, Fins, and Cards organizations are. Are we the only sane ones on the short bus?

RADRHATR
03-15-2012, 08:52 AM

You are kidding right? Do your eyes work? Goodman changed his name to " toast" .

barryr
03-15-2012, 08:52 AM
So those are the only teams that need a QB? I've heard nothing but bad things about how moronic/bad the Titans, Fins, and Cards organizations are. Are we the only sane ones on the short bus?

And Manning still can't decide?

RADRHATR
03-15-2012, 08:54 AM
Oh he just changed it again to "Burned Toast" , my bad!

pricejj
03-15-2012, 08:55 AM
Is it 90% of the base cap, or is it 90% of your own cap. Would we have to spend 90% of the cap, including the $20 mil we rolled over from last year and the $1.5 we get from the Cowboys and Redskins? I have been wondering this and didn't find an answer when I googled.

???

I would assume it's base cap, but I don't know.

Also...

The Broncos could have gotten an additional $1.6M in cap space this year, from the NFL penalty on Cowboys/Redskins...but we're one of only five teams (Bengals, Jaguars, Vikings, Bucs) to take the reward in 2013 instead.

No floor till 2013

I know. I just put that $10M number out there to show that the Broncos wouldn't have to try that hard to reach the cap floor this year, if there was one.

DBroncos4life
03-15-2012, 09:01 AM
If looking for the bottom of the barrel CB's, then sure.

William Middleton will get killed playing next to Bailey. Porter is a guy that I would take before Trufant. Jason Allen maybe?

DBroncos4life
03-15-2012, 09:03 AM
You are kidding right? Do your eyes work? Goodman changed his name to " toast" .

WTF are you talking about? I have already said I don't want Goodman. I was talking about Trufant over Newman.

eddie mac
03-15-2012, 09:11 AM
Day 3 in the Big Brother house and EFX still haven't pulled their pants up.

underrated29
03-15-2012, 09:15 AM
Day 3 in the Big Brother house and EFX still haven't pulled their pants up.

Didnt you hear? Papa Johns is having a Free Agency special on pizza. Xanders has been running around this whole time having pizza parties. We wont have anything for 1 more day when the sale ends.

RaiderH8r
03-15-2012, 09:32 AM
Mort reporting Bills have 1:30 presser to announce Mario Williams signing.

Schefter says six year deal. No amount reported yet.

eddie mac
03-15-2012, 09:35 AM
The signing of free agency so far, well done to a low market team for pulling that out.

cmhargrove
03-15-2012, 09:47 AM
Mort reporting Bills have 1:30 presser to announce Mario Williams signing.

Schefter says six year deal. No amount reported yet.

Good for the Bills, i hope we find a gem in the draft because i'm not sure Williams will be worth the money he makes this contract.

DENVERDUI55
03-15-2012, 09:54 AM
I think you need to re-read my post above. Most are more surprised by the lack of signing of anyone, namely our own FAs, not just "big names"......and the lack of ability to do anything beyond hosting Manning. It seems as if this front office can literally only handle the recruiting of one FA at a time. We simply cannot multi-task. Why?

And we've got some HUGE needs at positions like OG where they never even attempted to have a visit with what was arguably the best OG FA in recent league history. That's just bizarre. Even if you know you aren't going to sign him, at least bring him in for a visit. Make it look like you're trying. At worst, you drive up his asking price and make one of your opponents pay more for him than they would otherwise. Where's the negative in that? It's not like he'd be taking their attention away from all these other guys that are not visiting.

It's day 3 relax.

peacepipe
03-15-2012, 09:58 AM
Good for the Bills, i hope we find a gem in the draft because i'm not sure Williams will be worth the money he makes this contract.

considering teams will not be able to DBL team both him and marcell dareus, he should be able to earn it.

TheReverend
03-15-2012, 10:06 AM
considering teams will not be able to DBL team both him and marcell dareus, he should be able to earn it.

Kyle Williams is 5x the DL that Dareus is...

Beantown Bronco
03-15-2012, 10:15 AM
It's day 3 relax.

That's what people said last year, as all the good DTs signed elsewhere and we got stuck with Ty Warren. Awesome.

And the year before.
And the year before that.

And then the draft. "It's only the first round. Don't worry. They'll take a DT early." "It's only the second round. Don't worrry......"

"Well, they just didn't think the value was there, etc."

It may only be day three, yet the top two guards are gone without us showing the slightest bit of interest. And I don't see that changing any time soon.

With each day that goes by without us so much as pretending to look at improving the team in any way other than potentially QB, the options get fewer and fewer.

Drunken.Broncoholic
03-15-2012, 10:16 AM
It's day 3 relax.

This would be appropriate in a year where the cap space is not this big. But it is and zero results with such a huge cap space. Makes me believe they think manning is signing with them. If he goes titans it blows up in their face. Then Xander's come out in a press conference saying " we feel were comfortable with who we have and no one in fA gives us the best chance to win over our guys "

Its odd that they haven't even signed Bunkley or others on this team. They actually think manning signs here.

55CrushEm
03-15-2012, 10:17 AM
This would be appropriate in a year where the cap space is not this big. But it is and zero results with such a huge cap space. Makes me believe they think manning is signing with them. If he goes titans it blows up in their face. Then Xander's come out in a press conference saying " we feel were comfortable with who we have and no one in fA gives us the best chance to win over our guys "

Its odd that they haven't even signed Bunkley or others on this team. They actually think manning signs here.

One step further (and it's already been said).....even IF it was a guarantee that Manning was signing here.....that is still no excuse for the glaring lack of additional moves.

eddie mac
03-15-2012, 10:25 AM
They're lowballing Bunkley just like they'll do with everyone else bar probably Manning and that's cause he'll get rid of Tebow for them.

Wait and see how quickly they attempt to go back to Bunkley once Brod's announced as visiting someone.

Rohirrim
03-15-2012, 10:27 AM
What we need is a billionaire to buy this team.

2KBack
03-15-2012, 10:33 AM
What we need is a billionaire to buy this team.

Bowlen is a Billionare...just not a multi-billionare

Drunken.Broncoholic
03-15-2012, 10:33 AM
how do the Bills do it? werent they crying for a canadian landing spot for money? 100 million for a DE?

DBroncos4life
03-15-2012, 10:38 AM
how do the Bills do it? werent they crying for a canadian landing spot for money? 100 million for a DE?

Dude that's only like €76,291,000,000

TheReverend
03-15-2012, 10:40 AM
That's what people said last year, as all the good DTs signed elsewhere and we got stuck with Ty Warren. Awesome. .

For the same amount of $ as the premier younger players, no less.....

Rohirrim
03-15-2012, 10:44 AM
Bowlen is a Billionare...just not a multi-billionare

A billion ain't what it used to be.

ChampBailey24
03-15-2012, 10:54 AM
Schefter reporting that cb Marcus trufant will visit Denver

ColoradoBuff
03-15-2012, 10:56 AM
Meriweather signed with the Skins

ChampBailey24
03-15-2012, 11:00 AM
Brandon Spano Show (@BrandonSpano)
3/15/12 11:57 AM
Peyton Manning's wife inquired about out houses in Colorado this week. Source? The realtor.

55CrushEm
03-15-2012, 11:00 AM
Brandon Spano Show (@BrandonSpano)
3/15/12 11:57 AM
Peyton Manning's wife inquired about out houses in Colorado this week. Source? The realtor.

Out houses?

TonyR
03-15-2012, 11:21 AM
2:16 pm Vic Lombardi: With Meriweather off the market, Mike Adams could leave Denver with a contract today.
https://twitter.com/#!/VicLombardi/status/180356439427125248

DBroncos4life
03-15-2012, 11:31 AM
Schefter reporting that cb Marcus trufant will visit Denver

Good.

eddie mac
03-15-2012, 11:41 AM
Tennessee and Denver have co-interest in another player

John Abraham DE according to La Caforna

underrated29
03-15-2012, 11:43 AM

The same abraham that blew us off for the falcons because he said he would have a better chance to win a championship there?

eddie mac
03-15-2012, 11:50 AM
The same abraham that blew us off for the falcons because he said he would have a better chance to win a championship there?

Indeed.

TonyR
03-15-2012, 11:52 AM
2:45 pm Mike Klis: Broncos will visit with Seattle CB/S Marcus Trufant. His listed agent: Michael Sullivan, Broncos new cap guy. Discuss
https://twitter.com/#!/MikeKlis/status/180363016703979520

Kid A
03-15-2012, 11:52 AM

In his defense, Atl did field better teams during that stretch.

Gcver2ver3
03-15-2012, 11:53 AM

we bidding againts Tennessee for everybody?...

Old Dude
03-15-2012, 12:05 PM
Abraham appears to be the consolation prize in the Manning sweepstakes.

TheReverend
03-15-2012, 12:08 PM

Abraham wants to be paid like he's still 27 last I heard.

Reminds me of overspending on grandpa Warren...

DomCasual
03-15-2012, 12:11 PM
We'd be dominant if we could somehow land Abraham.

In 2007.

Rohirrim
03-15-2012, 12:12 PM
Dan Connor is still taking visits.

broncosteven
03-15-2012, 12:15 PM
2:45 pm Mike Klis: Broncos will visit with Seattle CB/S Marcus Trufant. His listed agent: Michael Sullivan, Broncos new cap guy. Discuss
https://twitter.com/#!/MikeKlis/status/180363016703979520

I could live with him for a few years.

TonyR
03-15-2012, 12:21 PM
3:07 pm More here on Abraham from La Canfora, who says the wait for Manning has delayed the interest in Abraham too.
http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/03/15/broncos-titans-interested-in-de-abraham

TonyR
03-15-2012, 01:26 PM
4:23 pm Mike Klis: For perspective, QB and safety only Bronx MUST needs in FA. Safety they're working on (Browns' Adams). CB Trufant visiting. QB u know about. Bronx also to sign free-agent LB, but waiting for market to settle. Otherwise, draft is the plan
https://twitter.com/#!/MikeKlis/status/180387926281166848

barryr
03-15-2012, 01:28 PM
4:23 pm Mike Klis: For perspective, QB and safety only Bronx MUST needs in FA. Safety they're working on (Browns' Adams). CB Trufant visiting. QB u know about. Bronx also to sign free-agent LB, but waiting for market to settle. Otherwise, draft is the plan

Then they better trade down and get extra picks.

TheReverend
03-15-2012, 01:29 PM
Dan Connor is still taking visits.

Apparently just signed with Dallas.

Getting angrier.

Also:

OMG their 3-4 has TWO PSU ILBs?!?!?!

Not ****ing fair :(

oubronco
03-15-2012, 01:31 PM

Curtis Lofton?

BroncoInferno
03-15-2012, 01:33 PM

How the hell does Klis figure DT is not a need with the two starters from last season both free agents? Surely they aren't counting on Warren and Vickerson?

barryr
03-15-2012, 01:34 PM
How the hell does Klis figure DT is not a need with the two starters from last season both free agents? Surely they aren't counting on Warren and Vickerson?

Well, he only stated those other positions are must need in free agency, so one assumes he thinks the draft is where they get DT help.

BroncoInferno
03-15-2012, 01:37 PM
Well, he only stated those other positions are must need in free agency, so one assumes he thinks the draft is where they get DT help.

You can't count on a rookie DT making much of an impact. It's a slow developing position. Even guys who end up having good careers don't typically make a big impact right out of the gate. If the plan is to draft a 1st round DT, that's cool, but we HAVE to sign at least one vet DT (preferably Bunkley).

BroncoBeavis
03-15-2012, 01:39 PM
Then they better trade down and get extra picks.

At this point to get enough warm bodies, we're going to have to set up a raffle for our early round picks. We sell tickets to 15 other teams in exchange for each of their 5th round picks.

Then we draw mouthpieces out of a bucket, and the winning mouthpiece gets our 1st round pick. The second winning mouthpiece gets our 2nd pick.

Before you know it, we'll have 15 5th round picks with which to Rebuild the Mile High Magic.

barryr
03-15-2012, 01:39 PM
You can't count on a rookie DT making much of an impact. It's a slow developing position. Even guys who end up having good careers don't typically make a big impact right out of the gate. If the plan is to draft a 1st round DT, that's cool, but we HAVE to sign at least one vet DT (preferably Bunkley).

I don't disagree since most DT's not taken high tend to develop slowly. I remember Trevor Pryce for instance. Bunkley is a must re-sign IMO whether they draft DT or not. I still say trading down would be good since I think the caliber of DT is close from late 1st to 2nd round anyway.

TheReverend
03-15-2012, 01:48 PM

So we're going to find a starting:

CB
MLB
DT x 2
OG

All in one draft where we pick towards the bottom? Awesome!

BroncoInferno
03-15-2012, 01:49 PM
So we're going to find a starting:

CB
MLB
DT x 2
OG

All in one draft where we pick towards the bottom? Awesome!

Agree with the overall point, but they may not feel like they need a MLB if they are high on Irving.

Eldorado
03-15-2012, 01:49 PM
This FA period is treading dangerously close to 'nightmare scenario' waters.

TheReverend
03-15-2012, 01:51 PM
Agree with the overall point, but they may not feel like they need a MLB if they are high on Irving.

Thank God! So on the off-chance they are high on Irving after keeping him benched at one of our worst positions when literally every other young player got game-time evaluation reps (even including Rafael ****ing Bush lol), we wouldn't need to mirror the success of one of the best draft of all time (2006) with a lower tier selection and we only need FOUR new starters.

^5

...but still probably 5.

OBF1
03-15-2012, 01:55 PM
pretty much like I was saying in another thread... Denver is not doing a damn thing this offseason besides taking Peyton our for a tour and dinner.

underrated29
03-15-2012, 02:23 PM
pretty much like I was saying in another thread... Denver is not doing a damn thing this offseason besides taking Peyton our for a tour and dinner.

I think we are bringing in some competition for the kicking job...?

extralife
03-15-2012, 02:29 PM
Abraham is definitely a Manning move. He can still play. Of course pass rushers tend to fall off a cliff when the time comes, so you never know.

oubronco
03-15-2012, 02:30 PM
<TABLE border=0 width=610><TBODY><TR><TD width="80%">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

EFX better get moving

Thu, 15 Mar 2012 11:29:22 -0700

The New Orleans Saints (http://www.kffl.com/team/25/nfl/new-orleans-saints) are showing interest in free-agent LB Curtis Lofton (http://www.kffl.com/player/18327/nfl/curtis-lofton) (Falcons).

Source: NFL Network - Jason La Canfora (https://twitter.com/#!/JasonLaCanfora/status/180356696022073344)

<TABLE border=0 width=610><TBODY><TR><TD width="80%">Buccaneers | Curtis Lofton on radar (http://www.kffl.com/player/18327/nfl/gnews.php?id=774709-buccaneers---curtis-lofton-on-radar)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Tue, 13 Mar 2012 12:35:31 -0700

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers (http://www.kffl.com/team/35/nfl/tampa-bay-buccaneers) are reportedly interested in making a strong play for free-agent LB Curtis Lofton (http://www.kffl.com/player/18327/nfl/curtis-lofton) (Falcons).

Source: FOXSports.com - Alex Marvez (http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2012/03/detroit_lions_linebacker_steph_2.html)

TheReverend
03-15-2012, 02:32 PM
No ****ing way we'd pay the money Lofton would want if we wouldnt look at other guys.

gyldenlove
03-15-2012, 02:35 PM
If we don't land Manning I want them to throw a boatload of cash at Stephen Tulloch and Jason Jones.

oubronco
03-15-2012, 02:41 PM
Saints | Considering releasing Jonathan Vilma (http://www.kffl.com/hotw/gnews.php?id=775410-saints-considering-releasing-jonathan-vilma)

Thu, 15 Mar 2012 14:26:40 -0700
The New Orleans Saints (http://www.kffl.com/team/25/nfl/new-orleans-saints) are considering the possibility of releasing LB Jonathan Vilma (http://www.kffl.com/player/9809/nfl/jonathan-vilma).

Source: NFL Network - Jason La Canfora (https://twitter.com/#!/JasonLaCanfora/status/180401326923063298)

extralife
03-15-2012, 02:42 PM
translation: Jonathan Vilma is about to be suspended for bounty hunting

oubronco
03-15-2012, 02:42 PM
Jets | Scheduled to meet with Brady Quinn (http://www.kffl.com/hotw/gnews.php?id=775385-jets-scheduled-to-meet-with-brady-quinn)

Thu, 15 Mar 2012 13:29:17 -0700
The New York Jets (http://www.kffl.com/team/27/nfl/new-york-jets) are scheduled to meet with free-agent QB Brady Quinn (http://www.kffl.com/player/13456/nfl/brady-quinn) (Broncos) Friday, March 16.

Source: The Denver Post - Mike Klis (http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/03/15/qb-brady-quinn-visit-jets-friday/12572/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter)

DBroncos4life
03-15-2012, 02:44 PM
Saints | Considering releasing Jonathan Vilma (http://www.kffl.com/hotw/gnews.php?id=775410-saints-considering-releasing-jonathan-vilma)

The New Orleans Saints (http://www.kffl.com/team/25/nfl/new-orleans-saints) are considering the possibility of releasing LB Jonathan Vilma (http://www.kffl.com/player/9809/nfl/jonathan-vilma).

Source: NFL Network - Jason La Canfora (https://twitter.com/#!/JasonLaCanfora/status/180401326923063298)

I wouldn't mind him.

oubronco
03-15-2012, 02:48 PM
49ers release CB Spencer (http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/03/15/49ers-release-cb-spencer)

Posted March 15, 2012 @ 12:21 p.m. ET
The 49ers released CB Shawntae Spencer on Thursday.

gyldenlove
03-15-2012, 02:50 PM
translation: Jonathan Vilma is about to be suspended for bounty hunting

That and the facts that his play has fallen off the last 2 years and his salary cap number is quite high.

ChampBailey24
03-15-2012, 02:51 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏ @VicLombardi Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Broncos sign their first free agent. Mike Adams done deal.

DBroncos4life
03-15-2012, 02:53 PM

the flood gate is open!

extralife
03-15-2012, 02:57 PM
THE DEAL IS DONE

Lestat
03-15-2012, 03:12 PM
their LB play isn't nearly good enough to make up for that loss.
he's made the D and LB corp look really good since he's been there.
he's not as good as he once was, but he's as good once as he ever was.

peacepipe
03-15-2012, 03:13 PM
Kyle Williams is 5x the DL that Dareus is...

how many sacks did williams have...0
dareous...5.5

TheReverend
03-15-2012, 03:16 PM
how many sacks did williams have...0
dareous...5.5

He was hurt the entire year and barely got any time before going on IR...

broncosteven
03-15-2012, 03:32 PM

Maybe this sways Manning to sign!

CEH
03-15-2012, 03:40 PM
Joe Mays visiting New Orleans.

cutthemdown
03-15-2012, 03:40 PM
Amazing how impatient Bronco fans are. Not just that though most of you show that you are really ignorant of how FA goes, even though you watch it every yr.

It's just like last yr with everyone complaining the Broncos don't over spend for a bunch of FA. Now if we could land Carl Nicks or someone really good that would be huge. But you all complain when they don't sign scrub linebackers.

extralife
03-15-2012, 03:41 PM
Maybe this sways Manning to sign!

he's presumably got more game than the governor of tennessee, at least

Old Dude
03-15-2012, 03:42 PM
Let's hope the Adams signing didn't devour too much of our cap room.

DomCasual
03-15-2012, 04:00 PM
Great. The sting from losing Peyton Manning would be made worse by losing Brady Quinn to the Jets.

zdoor
03-15-2012, 05:18 PM
McLain fron Ravens is visiting tomorrow according to twitter

Dedhed
03-15-2012, 05:44 PM
They need to get Jason Jones in here too.

canadianbroncosfan
03-15-2012, 05:55 PM
Eddie Royal has officially signed with the Chargers according to Schefter

Drek
03-15-2012, 06:20 PM
Amazing how impatient Bronco fans are. Not just that though most of you show that you are really ignorant of how FA goes, even though you watch it every yr.

It's just like last yr with everyone complaining the Broncos don't over spend for a bunch of FA. Now if we could land Carl Nicks or someone really good that would be huge. But you all complain when they don't sign scrub linebackers.

The Broncos **** their pants in FA last year. Or do you think giving nearly as much money to Warren, who never played a snap for us, as Mebane would have cost, who played all 16 games last season, as a good move?

Also, Nicks has already signed with Tampa Bay.

And someone like McClain to lock up the MLB spot for the next several years would be ideal. Spending real money to get someone like Brandon Carr as a #2 CB that lets us start building the bridge to Champ's transition to safety/retirement sure wouldn't hurt. Learning the lesson from last year and putting real money on the table for Soliai instead of looking for a dirt cheap signing from a guy you obviously like. Don't be afraid to pay quality 20-something players when you identify them.

TonyR
03-15-2012, 06:41 PM
Chiefs sign Kevin Boss to three-year, $9 million deal

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/15/chiefs-announce-signing-of-tight-end-kevin-boss/

ScottXray
03-15-2012, 06:58 PM
Chiefs sign Kevin Boss to three-year, $9 million deal

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/15/chiefs-announce-signing-of-tight-end-kevin-boss/

Well lets go scout some more college Basketball teams.

TonyR
03-15-2012, 07:04 PM
9:50 pm A sign Dawkins is gone? On the Broncos' website, #20 is now listed as Mike Adams.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/manning-rumors-3-15-12-2

BroncoMan4ever
03-15-2012, 07:30 PM
Trufant, McClain and Bunk and another decent DT get signed and I will consider this free agency period to have gone well. Signings on all levels of the defense. Now if we could get some interior OL, RB and maybe a TE and we are looking a hell of a lot better

TonyR
03-15-2012, 07:39 PM
Trufant, McClain and Bunk and another decent DT get signed and I will consider this free agency period to have gone well. Signings on all levels of the defense. Now if we could get some interior OL, RB and maybe a TE and we are looking a hell of a lot better

Bush and Tolbert are still out there at RB, Lofton and Tulloch at LB.

underrated29
03-15-2012, 07:41 PM

Any word on Greg jones the FB from jax? He is older but a good runner and great blocker

BroncoMan4ever
03-15-2012, 11:22 PM

Bush or Tolbert would be huge. i would love Lofton but supposedly he is still hinged to ATL and Tulloch would be a decent pickup but i prefer McClain and Lofton to him.

cutthemdown
03-15-2012, 11:35 PM
The Broncos **** their pants in FA last year. Or do you think giving nearly as much money to Warren, who never played a snap for us, as Mebane would have cost, who played all 16 games last season, as a good move?

Also, Nicks has already signed with Tampa Bay.

And someone like McClain to lock up the MLB spot for the next several years would be ideal. Spending real money to get someone like Brandon Carr as a #2 CB that lets us start building the bridge to Champ's transition to safety/retirement sure wouldn't hurt. Learning the lesson from last year and putting real money on the table for Soliai instead of looking for a dirt cheap signing from a guy you obviously like. Don't be afraid to pay quality 20-something players when you identify them.

I get what your saying totally. I just think Elway has decided he builds through draft. Manning is maybe an exception because hes one of the greatest players ever etc etc. I can't lie I thought Mario Williams, Nicks, and like you said maybe Carr, but not as much, were worth going big after in FA.

Remember though last yr didn't Mebane just resign with team? That like someone saying we should have signed Champ. Champ really wanted to stay. Mebane probably wanted to stay also.

Lets not forget while people were pissed Elway made a nice trade for Bunkley. Right now we should be more worried about keeping him IMO. The fact nothing being talked about with him and other teams tells me Broncos told agent we are getting something done dont worry.

Also Warren didn't work out, but that move had a high payoff, risk ratio, im sure ELway knew that. You never know he could contribute this yr.

canadianbroncosfan
03-16-2012, 02:37 AM

YES PLEASE!!!

cutthemdown
03-16-2012, 02:45 AM
Hell I still think Steve Hutchenson can play. I heard he might return to seattle though, or maybe he already did. He would be great depth and probably start at guard for us.

Punisher
03-16-2012, 03:03 AM
Sign Trufant and McClain then off to the draft

ghostofjosh
03-16-2012, 03:08 AM
9:50 pm A sign Dawkins is gone? On the Broncos' website, #20 is now listed as Mike Adams.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/manning-rumors-3-15-12-2

said it was corrected 2 minutes later

canadianbroncosfan
03-16-2012, 03:08 AM
Sign Manning, Trufant and McClain then off to the draft

FYP

Punisher
03-16-2012, 03:09 AM
FYP

lol Oh yea Of Course

ol#7
03-16-2012, 03:45 AM
I get what your saying totally. I just think Elway has decided he builds through draft. Manning is maybe an exception because hes one of the greatest players ever etc etc. I can't lie I thought Mario Williams, Nicks, and like you said maybe Carr, but not as much, were worth going big after in FA.

Remember though last yr didn't Mebane just resign with team? That like someone saying we should have signed Champ. Champ really wanted to stay. Mebane probably wanted to stay also.

Lets not forget while people were pissed Elway made a nice trade for Bunkley. Right now we should be more worried about keeping him IMO. The fact nothing being talked about with him and other teams tells me Broncos told agent we are getting something done dont worry.

Also Warren didn't work out, but that move had a high payoff, risk ratio, im sure ELway knew that. You never know he could contribute this yr.

You cant build solely through the draft. The draft is only 6 rounds and at best produces 2-3 starters for each team.

They were backed into a corner on Warren because they didnt have any upfront money to pay Mebane. He came out and was intending to sign in Denver.

Stop defending every stupid thing this team does. We are now doing the same thing with Bunkley and as a result have to hope he doesnt walk.

Drek
03-16-2012, 03:50 AM
You can't advocate building through the draft and then spend your FA dollars on guys like Warren, McGahee, Trufant, Abraham, etc.. If its build through the draft then focus the cap on retaining our own young players. But we haven't negotiated a contract with any of our own FAs up to this point.

I would have liked Nicks, but not at the highest interior line salary in NFL history. I always viewed Williams as a pipe dream. But opening up the bank for a quality mid-20's player a division rival is letting get away would have been a huge gain. It's not like Carr is setting the bar for CBs everywhere. He's likely a little overpaid for the production, but quality YOUNG CBs aren't something you can normally just pay money for. That is why I don't understand us chasing Trufant when Tracey Porter is still out there to be had. He's easily as good as Trufant, is younger, healthier, and has far more upside.

Last off-season Mebane talked openly about how he did not expect to remain a Seahawk. He then visited with us early on. Word has it (from Klis I believe) that we made a lowball offer that Seattle outright beat. Coefield is another DT we could have targetted, also in his mid-20's, who did leave his team (the Giants) to go elsewhere. We didn't even kick the tires. Jenkins was a guy we waited until several weeks into FA to start showing interest in but let him slip away to Philly (had been playing for Green Bay) at basically exactly what we gave to Warren.

We low balled and dicked around at DT while three quality younger guys signed new, very reasonable deals, two of which to change teams. If we can't pay proven mid-20's solid starter types $5-$6M AAV with low enough guaranteeds to cut them if they get beat for the starting job in year 2 or 3 then there is something seriously wrong with the organization's financial management.

For starters, Bunkley isn't nearly as good as Soliai. Bunkley has been a below average player his entire career until he hit a contract year, and even then he couldn't generate any kind of pass rush despite having a single blocker assigned to him. Soliai gets more push when double teamed. So we've already resigned ourselves to not getting a pass rush from the inside like we desperately need, unless we think we can join the Jason Jones dance at the 11th hour.

Second, you do know he fell ass backwards into that Bunkley trade, right? He was previously traded to Cleveland and the deal fell apart on medical examination. At that point Philly was forced to dump him as damaged goods and we so badly misjudged the rest of the DT market that we were probably the only team willing to overlook his questionable knee (if I recall correctly it was the knee). That isn't good management. That is dumb luck. Its equally likely we either didn't get him at all or after committing a 2013 pick to him we find out the knee really was junk and we spend all last season with a DT rotation of Thomas, McBean, and Unrein.

How is that a high payoff/risk ratio? He was a 3-4 DE who never played in the NFL inside. He didn't play the entire 2010 season due to injury. He hadn't spent a minute in team activities all off-season. He was over 30 and had always been over 300 pounds. Strike after strike against him and the only positive is that back in '07 as a DE he got after the passer fairly well, when playing on a DL stacked like few others in recent history.

The risk/reward ratio on that move for what we paid was entirely too high in the wrong direction. Huge risk that we just pissed away $4M AAV, in exchange there was a marginal probability of him actually converting to 4-3 DT with no issues or injuries and being worth about what we were paying him or a little more.

If we would have ventured another $1-$1.5M we could have signed Mebane and greatly reduced the risk factor while dramatically increasing the chances of reaping Warren's high end. Same for Jenkins. But instead we completely misjudged the market, overplayed our hand until all the worthwhile signings were gone, and then dug through the scraps to cover our asses.

Last off-season was a massive dick up in nearly every way. Their one really good signing, McGahee, wasn't even their top option at RB. They wanted to break the bank on Deangelo Williams, they just weren't willing to outspend Carolina. Had Carolina not covered them on that we'd have a $7M-$8M a year RB on our team.

Drek
03-16-2012, 03:56 AM

1. Trufant isn't any better than just keeping Goodman. He's old, injury prone, and losing a step he couldn't afford to lose in the first place.

2. McClain would be excellent. They can't afford to let him leave Denver and if they can land him he would be the best FA signing the new regime has managed to date.

3. Bunkley doesn't appear willing to take a hometown discount. Why are we going to suddenly pay full freight on a 28 year old DT who has only shown up in his contract year after refusing to pay full freight for Mebane or Jenkins last off-season and Soliai this off-seaosn? All three guys we brought to Denver, all three guys who produced throughout their careers prior to hitting FA. All guys we failed to make competitive offers to and have since lost out on. If we wind up giving Bunkley anything north of $4M AAV we have completely ****ed the pooch at DT once again.

4. Who is this mystery "other DT" we could sign? Jason Jones would be great but our team is apparently oblivious to his existence. Red Bryant has returned to Seattle now. We're down to the "pray for a breakthrough" types now and just because we got lucky on Bunkley last year doesn't mean we can pull that rabbit out of the hat again this off-season. With how consistently DT is an area of weakness how does the FO consistently fail to address it? In any other field this would be viewed as criminal negligence.

Ray Finkle
03-16-2012, 04:18 AM
That is why I don't understand us chasing Trufant when Tracey Porter is still out there to be had. He's easily as good as Trufant, is younger, healthier, and has far more upside.

Coefield is another DT we could have targetted, also in his mid-20's, who did leave his team (the Giants) to go elsewhere.

Tracy is just as injury prone as Trufant, let's see how that plays out.

Coefield ONLY WANTED TO PLAY IN THE NFC EAST...

Bronco Rob
03-16-2012, 04:37 AM
Chargers in contract talks to keep Mike Tolbert

Kevin Acee of the Union-Tribune San Diego reports that the Chargers are in contract talks to retain free agent running back Mike Tolbert, and negotiations have reached a “critical stage.”

Per Acee, the team wants to know soon whether Tolbert is “in or out,” and may threaten to move on to free agent Jackie Battle if a deal isn’t reached in short order.

Tolbert is a considerably more valuable back than Battle, though, so the leverage game shouldn’t be fooling Tolbert’s agents. Tolbert can pass block and catch passes. Battle doesn’t do either of those things particularly well. Tolbert is also a couple of years younger than Battle.

Tolbert’s market doesn’t appear to be crawling with suitors, however. The Chiefs signed Peyton Hillis instead of him on Thursday, and Tolbert isn’t known to have taken any other free agent visits.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/15/chargers-in-contract-talks-to-keep-mike-tolbert/

TonyR
03-16-2012, 06:41 AM
Anybody think we should be interested in OG Evan Mathis? He still hasn't re-signed with the Eagles although apparently they are interested in keeping him.

barryr
03-16-2012, 06:48 AM
Tracy is just as injury prone as Trufant, let's see how that plays out.

Coefield ONLY WANTED TO PLAY IN THE NFC EAST...

Trufant is also 4-5 years older and has a chonic back problem.

Ray Finkle
03-16-2012, 06:56 AM
Trufant is also 4-5 years older and has a chonic back problem.

didn't say I am wild about Trufant....I'd rather have Porter as well.

barryr
03-16-2012, 07:09 AM
didn't say I am wild about Trufant....I'd rather have Porter as well.

If signing Trufant, then for sure need to draft a CB high in the draft since Trufant isn't long for the NFL IMO.

Punisher
03-16-2012, 08:07 AM
If Elway, Fox and everybody an there mom is going to NC who in the hell is gonna talk to McClain and Trufant today

jhns
03-16-2012, 08:09 AM
If Elway, Fox and everybody an there mom is going to NC who in the hell is gonna talk to McClain and Trufant today

They are on a jet. This isn't a week long vacation for them. They can be back this afternoon. If not, the defensive staff is still there...

Punisher
03-16-2012, 08:09 AM
They are on a jet. This isn't a week long vacation for them. They can be back this afternoon. If not, the defensive staff is still there...

Hilarious! lmao

Punisher
03-16-2012, 08:16 AM
Elway "Hey Rio stay here in talk to Trufant and McClain" Del Rio " What do i tell them you guys went at" Elway "Tell them were on a Mission from God". Blues Brother theme drops

jhns
03-16-2012, 08:19 AM
Elway "Hey Rio stay here in talk to Trufant and McClain" Del Rio " What do i tell them you guys went at" Elway "Tell them were on a Mission from God". Blues Brother theme drops

Tell them we went to pick up one of the greatest ever QBs. I'm sure that will make them say no...

They are on a jet. They will be back today.

barryr
03-16-2012, 08:21 AM
Maybe the Broncos don't think Trufant and McClain are huge signings or know that both are ready to sign and willing to wait until Manning situation is resolved.

Punisher
03-16-2012, 08:26 AM
Maybe the Broncos don't think Trufant and McClain are huge signings or know that both are ready to sign and willing to wait until Manning situation is resolved.

I honestly think signing these two guys will make a hell of a defense and Oh yea use a 2nd or a 1st on a NT

barryr
03-16-2012, 08:38 AM
I honestly think signing these two guys will make a hell of a defense and Oh yea use a 2nd or a 1st on a NT

McClain? Sure, an upgrade? Trufant, a 30+ year old CB with a bad back. Good luck.

ayjackson
03-16-2012, 08:47 AM
McClain, Trufant and Del Rio are in a board room right now, eating donuts and watching flighttracker.com.

ayjackson
03-16-2012, 08:48 AM
McClain, Trufant and Del Rio are in a board room right now, eating donuts and watching flighttracker.com.

It's okay though, because the contracts Xanders left with Del Rio has "sign here" sticky tabs in all the appropriate places.

Drek
03-16-2012, 09:15 AM
Chargers in contract talks to keep Mike Tolbert

We should be moving on Tolbert today. Good god would he be a big steal away from SD for likely very reasonable money.

TonyR
03-16-2012, 09:16 AM
We should be moving on Tolbert today.

We can't move on anyone or anything because the whole FO is traveling to Raleigh. Another day wasted on the Peyton Manning chase.

Drek
03-16-2012, 09:18 AM
We can't move on anyone or anything because the whole FO is traveling to Raleigh. Another day wasted on the Peyton Manning chase.

Pretty much. Can't walk and chew gum. They should have Elway and Fox personally talking to Tolbert on the flight over, scheduling him for a visit first thing Saturday where they'll hopefully be enticing him to team with McGahee for taking snaps behind Manning.

Add a speed back in the middle rounds of the draft and that could be awesome.

TonyR
03-16-2012, 09:20 AM
11:36 am Mike Lombardi says the Raiders are about to cut Kam Wimbley, and Jim Trotter thinks the Chargers may pounce. More AFCW incest.

11:17 am Andrew Mason says the Broncos do not currently have a visit scheduled with John Abraham.

11:14 am Vic Lombardi: Broncos in negotiations with another free agent by the way. This Manning thing puts everything on hold.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/free-agency-thread-3-16-12

Ratboy
03-16-2012, 09:27 AM
I really hope we can sign Jameel McClain.

Rohirrim
03-16-2012, 09:30 AM

I'm sure they have cell phones.

Old Dude
03-16-2012, 09:32 AM
I'm sure they have cell phones.

Not the same thing. Believe me, I've tried phone sex and it's not as good.

RaiderH8r
03-16-2012, 09:35 AM

I can't believe I'm the one that has to tell you this but here goes. That hole in the phone is for the charger.

Rohirrim
03-16-2012, 09:35 AM

I've never understood that. Just when things get going you're already in for more than the price of your basic BJ on the street. Ask Hugh Grant. Ha!