PDA

View Full Version : Titans go ALL IN on Manning

UberBroncoMan
03-12-2012, 05:48 PM
Just reported that they were apparently going for Mario Williams until Bud Adams threw a tantrum over getting Manning.

They've completely dropped their efforts on Williams and are now going all in on Peyton Manning.

****'s about to get serious.

canadianbroncosfan
03-12-2012, 05:49 PM
didn't someone describe this idiot as the new Al Davis?

Rohirrim
03-12-2012, 05:50 PM
Just reported that they were apparently going for Mario Williams until Bud Adams threw a tantrum over getting Manning.

They've completely dropped their efforts on Williams and are now going all in on Peyton Manning.

****'s about to get serious.

Hopefully, they now lose Manning and Mario. Bud is a ahole. ;D

UberBroncoMan
03-12-2012, 05:50 PM

I drew that comparison actually. Doubt I'm the only one thinking it though.

Rulon Velvet Jones
03-12-2012, 05:51 PM
Other reports read like Manning is merely going to humor them. They'll meet, but in smaller groups and not at the team's facilities. Manning is in this for the free steaks now.

bronco militia
03-12-2012, 05:53 PM
Link?

canadianbroncosfan
03-12-2012, 05:53 PM
I drew that comparison actually. Doubt I'm the only one thinking it though.

Hopefully a certain FA feels that way.

peacepipe
03-12-2012, 05:54 PM
Titans are the only team that worries me,but at the end of the day I think PM signs with denver. easier path to the playoffs.

ColoradoDarin
03-12-2012, 05:55 PM
The excrement hath become genuine.

Punisher
03-12-2012, 05:56 PM
Other reports read like Manning is merely going to humor them. They'll meet, but in smaller groups and not at the team's facilities. Manning is in this for the free steaks now.

Hahaha That's a good one

WolfpackGuy
03-12-2012, 05:57 PM
http://threeandahalfthumbs.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/biffsgun.jpg

"Get me Manning!"

Kid A
03-12-2012, 05:57 PM
What does "all in" even mean? Denver, Miami, Arizona seem to be "all in" in terms of making him their #1 priority, paying him however much he wants, etc. I don't doubt that Tennessee wants him, but Bud yelling like a mad man about it doesn't mean he's more committed to manning than Bowlen or Bidwell.

Punisher
03-12-2012, 05:58 PM
http://threeandahalfthumbs.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/biffsgun.jpg

"Get me Manning!"

Hilarious!

WolfpackGuy
03-12-2012, 05:58 PM
What does "all in" even mean? Denver, Miami, Arizona seem to be "all in" in terms of making him their #1 priority, paying him however much he wants, etc. I don't doubt that Tennessee wants him, but Bud yelling like a mad man about it doesn't mean he's more committed to manning than Bowlen or Bidwell.

More than just the tip apparently.

gunns
03-12-2012, 06:00 PM
Bud has offered him any amount of money and a front office job when he retires.

MacGruder
03-12-2012, 06:02 PM
I thought Manning was "all-in" Elway?

barryr
03-12-2012, 06:03 PM
Any team talking to Manning at this point is "all in" or Manning wouldn't waste his time with them.

DomCasual
03-12-2012, 06:10 PM

No, THIS is the new Al Davis.

http://www.sportsherniablog.com/.a/6a00d83451b84f69e20162ff5d91be970d-450wi

UberBroncoMan
03-12-2012, 06:17 PM
Link?

https://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter/status/179346632104620032

@AdamSchefter

Titans were preparing to make run at Houston's Mario Williams, and now organziation has shifted its focus to try to sign Peyton Manning.

Can't get much better than that.

extralife
03-12-2012, 06:18 PM
Here's the problem with Tennessee: the people in charge of football (ie, coach and GM) expressed no interest in Manning until the owner flipped out. If you're Peyton, does that sound ideal to you? Throw in the owner being known for throwing fits and overriding the people he hires. Is that enough to overcome the home(ish) state factor and the decent team in place? Hopefully

UberBroncoMan
03-12-2012, 06:23 PM
Here's the problem with Tennessee: the people in charge of football (ie, coach and GM) expressed no interest in Manning until the owner flipped out. If you're Peyton, does that sound ideal to you? Throw in the owner being known for throwing fits and overriding the people he hires. Is that enough to overcome the home(ish) state factor and the decent team in place? Hopefully

On top of that, they're a completely winless franchise. One Super Bowl appearance (due to a lateral pass that I believe would have been overturned with instant replay).

Hulamau
03-12-2012, 06:27 PM
No, THIS is the new Al Davis.

http://www.sportsherniablog.com/.a/6a00d83451b84f69e20162ff5d91be970d-450wi

Friar Tuck on a bad hair day!

OBF1
03-12-2012, 06:43 PM
Denver should do a flip flop now while everyone is thinking Manning all day and all night...

Get on the phone asap and sign Mario Williams tommorrow when business starts around the league, No one would see it coming.

eddie mac
03-12-2012, 06:46 PM
Their fanbase will **** a brick. They hate Manning and want Williams more than anyone.

UberBroncoMan
03-12-2012, 06:46 PM
Denver should do a flip flop now while everyone is thinking Manning all day and all night...

Get on the phone asap and sign Mario Williams tommorrow when business starts around the league, No one would see it coming.

Could you imagine that...

Miller - ?? - Williams (if not suspended)

Doom - Bunk - Warren - Mario

Throw in Paul Solali into the DT spot and pray Irving emerges and it's not so bad.

barryr
03-12-2012, 06:52 PM
Could you imagine that...

Miller - ?? - Williams (if not suspended)

Doom - Bunk - Warren - Mario

Throw in Paul Solali into the DT spot and pray Irving emerges and it's not so bad.

If they signed Williams without giving up any other key defensive player in the process, and added a DT, LB and CB in FA or the draft who are ready to play, the defense could very well reach the top 10. The more guys who have upfront that the OL can not key on, the more 1 on 1 matchups you get and these guys can beat such blocking.

Punisher
03-12-2012, 06:53 PM
Jake Locker > Manning

Rohirrim
03-12-2012, 06:58 PM
Funny. This was the story for the Titans a month ago:

But the Titans tried to downplay the Manning talk Tuesday in a conference call with season-ticket holders as Webster addressed the topic before taking questions. Webster called Manning a great player in the NFL and noted he was under contract with another team.

"We also feel like we're in good hands," Webster said.

The Titans signed Matt Hasselbeck to a three-year deal worth more than $20 million last July, and he led them to a 9-7 record. Webster said Hasselbeck brought the Titans through a tough time after losing top receiver Kenny Britt. Hasselbeck threw for 3,571 yards, the most by a Tennessee quarterback since 2002.

Jake Locker played well enough in relief to make the Titans happy they used the eighth pick overall in 2011 on the quarterback. Locker threw for four touchdowns with no interceptions and a 99.4 passer rating coming off the bench in relief of Hasselbeck during the season.

Coach Mike Munchak already has said Hasselbeck and Locker will compete to be the starter in 2012.

"He showed enough during the season to warrant a chance to win the job, and he'll have a good shot to do that," Webster said of Locker.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-02-07/new-gm-titans-happy-with-own-qb-situation#ixzz1oxD37FQ9

serious hops
03-12-2012, 07:21 PM
Their fanbase will **** a brick. They hate Manning and want Williams more than anyone.

Looks like somebody forgot where Peyton went to college.

Sassy
03-12-2012, 07:23 PM
Looks like somebody forgot where Peyton went to college.

and that his wife is from there.

TonyR
03-12-2012, 07:30 PM
Hopefully Manning isn't stupid enough to join an organization that just invested so much in the QB position last year. Good grief.

Rohirrim
03-12-2012, 07:32 PM
Hopefully Manning isn't stupid enough to join an organization that just invested so much in the QB position last year. Good grief.

No kidding. Isn't this pretty much the owner shoving a knife in his own FO's back?

USMCBladerunner
03-12-2012, 07:34 PM
The excrement hath become genuine.

The feces is now factual.

canadianbroncosfan
03-12-2012, 07:34 PM
No kidding. Isn't this pretty much the owner shoving a knife in his own FO's back?

this is exactly how it seems

cmhargrove
03-12-2012, 07:44 PM
Bud has offered him any amount of money and a front office job when he retires.

Don't you think that Manning could get a FO job just about anywhere when he retires? I wouldn't think this is a big selling point.

El Jué
03-12-2012, 07:50 PM
Don't you think that Manning could get a FO job just about anywhere when he retires? I wouldn't think this is a big selling point.

Maybe not in Denver. The Broncos already have that guy.

Jesterhole
03-12-2012, 07:59 PM
This actually makes a lot more sense for Manning than Denver.

TonyR
03-12-2012, 08:02 PM

...multiple NFL sources say the Bears are the favorites to sign Williams, the former No. 1 overall pick of the Texans.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/12/in-chicago-bears-viewed-as-favorites-to-land-mario-williams/

canadianbroncosfan
03-12-2012, 08:08 PM
...multiple NFL sources say the Bears are the favorites to sign Williams, the former No. 1 overall pick of the Texans.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/12/in-chicago-bears-viewed-as-favorites-to-land-mario-williams/

Well at least it's an NFC team we don't play the next three seasons. That would be a very dangerous D.

StugotsIII
03-12-2012, 08:09 PM

Peppers and Williams….holy ****.

broncswin
03-12-2012, 08:16 PM
Peppers and Williams….holy ****.

That would be epic if during tc they unleashed on the frown cannon:strong:

StugotsIII
03-12-2012, 08:19 PM
That would be epic if during tc they unleashed on the frown cannon:strong:

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Heyneck
03-12-2012, 08:22 PM

http://gifs.gifbin.com/1234525508_ben_stiller_-_do_it.gif

Atwater His Ass
03-13-2012, 01:06 AM
Funny. This was the story for the Titans a month ago:

But the Titans tried to downplay the Manning talk Tuesday in a conference call with season-ticket holders as Webster addressed the topic before taking questions. Webster called Manning a great player in the NFL and noted he was under contract with another team.

"We also feel like we're in good hands," Webster said.

The Titans signed Matt Hasselbeck to a three-year deal worth more than $20 million last July, and he led them to a 9-7 record. Webster said Hasselbeck brought the Titans through a tough time after losing top receiver Kenny Britt. Hasselbeck threw for 3,571 yards, the most by a Tennessee quarterback since 2002.

Jake Locker played well enough in relief to make the Titans happy they used the eighth pick overall in 2011 on the quarterback. Locker threw for four touchdowns with no interceptions and a 99.4 passer rating coming off the bench in relief of Hasselbeck during the season.

Coach Mike Munchak already has said Hasselbeck and Locker will compete to be the starter in 2012.

"He showed enough during the season to warrant a chance to win the job, and he'll have a good shot to do that," Webster said of Locker.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-02-07/new-gm-titans-happy-with-own-qb-situation#ixzz1oxD37FQ9

So the greatest free agent to ever hit the market causes teams to re-evaluate where they were a month ago? Shocking indeed.'

ol#7
03-13-2012, 03:26 AM
On top of that, they're a completely winless franchise. One Super Bowl appearance (due to a lateral pass that I believe would have been overturned with instant replay).

They did have instant replay and the play stood. Never comes to that if the Bills had played Flutie that game though. Tenn was pretty good for a spell there, and have been alot more solid than us the last decade.

I dont think that Tenn is that much better than us at the moment though, but geographically it does make some sense.

montrose
03-13-2012, 07:10 AM
My guess today is TEN lands Peyton, they're likely to sign his buddy Steve Hutchinson and have a bunch of other factors going their way. Next question I want to know... Does Elway pursue Hasselbeck?

BroncoInferno
03-13-2012, 07:16 AM
My guess today is TEN lands Peyton, they're likely to sign his buddy Steve Hutchinson and have a bunch of other factors going their way. Next question I want to know... Does Elway pursue Hasselbeck?

I don't think they get him. I think it will hurt them that they didn't choose to pursue him until the edict came down from Adams. The football people in that organization had no intention on making a play for Manning until the old man told them to. They were happy with Hasselbeck and Locker (not to mention the money they have tied up in the two) and were going to use their cap space to go after Mario Williams. I'm sure Manning is aware of that, and I doubt it's something he's happy about. I think this will ultimately amount to a courtesy call from Manning as a nod to the old man. It would be embarrassing for him to declare his intention to get Manning and then not even land a meeting.

TonyR
03-13-2012, 07:16 AM

What kind of cap hit do they take releasing Hasselbeck (assuming they do)? And what about Locker, they're going to give up on him already? It's one thing for the Broncos to give up on Tebow, who was drafted two years ago by a different regime. But the Titans committed a lot of resources to Hasselbeck and Locker just last season! Manning has to question the wisdom of an FO that would do that.

Beantown Bronco
03-13-2012, 07:35 AM

Ummm, what are you talking about? The play WAS reviewed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_City_Miracle

Garcia Bronco
03-13-2012, 07:43 AM
Living in Tennesse vs Colorado...lol...there is no contest.

Rohirrim
03-13-2012, 08:47 AM
So the greatest free agent to ever hit the market causes teams to re-evaluate where they were a month ago? Shocking indeed.'

Doesn't sound to me like their FO was re-evaluating anything, until their owner went off like a bull in a china shop. They were involved in going after Mario Williams, smart ass.

Old Dude
03-13-2012, 09:13 AM
I'm a little skeptical about the Titans landing Manning.

Just last year, they signed Matt Hasselbeck to a three-year, 20 million deal and also used the 8th overall pick in the draft to get Locker. I asssume they'd keep Locker around for development, but that would be a heck of a cap hit for Hasselbeck.

They may have enough moolah to get Manning, but I've got a feeling he'd want some of his Colt buddies to join him - Wayne and Clark come immediately to mind. I think that's where Denver's big cap numbers give them an advantage.

Also, I'm wondering about the cap ramifications of giving Manning a share of the team or a guaranteed front office position at the end of his career. Seems like the first would be calculated just as if it was a signing bonus. The idea of a "guaranteed front-office job" is a little fuzzier. If it's just a gentlemen's understanding, and isn't binding, then it's almost worthless (especially since the owner is as old as Adams). If it's as an actual contract, then I think it may have cap ramifications. Sticky wicket all the way around.

Finally, you have to wonder about a situation where the owner overrides the coaching staff and front office. If you are Manning, do you really want to walk into that sitch?

TonyR
03-13-2012, 09:31 AM
I'm a little skeptical about the Titans landing Manning....

...Just last year, they signed Matt Hasselbeck to a three-year, 20 million deal and also used the 8th overall pick in the draft to get Locker. I asssume they'd keep Locker around for development, but that would be a heck of a cap hit for Hasselbeck.Finally, you have to wonder about a situation where the owner overrides the coaching staff and front office. If you are Manning, do you really want to walk into that sitch?

^ Yup, I've been saying this since the Tennessee news hit. You'd really have to wonder about Manning's decision making process if he chose the Titans. Lots of red flags.

BroncoBeavis
03-13-2012, 09:37 AM
I'm a little skeptical about the Titans landing Manning.

Just last year, they signed Matt Hasselbeck to a three-year, 20 million deal and also used the 8th overall pick in the draft to get Locker. I asssume they'd keep Locker around for development, but that would be a heck of a cap hit for Hasselbeck.

They may have enough moolah to get Manning, but I've got a feeling he'd want some of his Colt buddies to join him - Wayne and Clark come immediately to mind. I think that's where Denver's big cap numbers give them an advantage.

Also, I'm wondering about the cap ramifications of giving Manning a share of the team or a guaranteed front office position at the end of his career. Seems like the first would be calculated just as if it was a signing bonus. The idea of a "guaranteed front-office job" is a little fuzzier. If it's just a gentlemen's understanding, and isn't binding, then it's almost worthless (especially since the owner is as old as Adams). If it's as an actual contract, then I think it may have cap ramifications. Sticky wicket all the way around.

Finally, you have to wonder about a situation where the owner overrides the coaching staff and front office. If you are Manning, do you really want to walk into that sitch?

Titans recover most of Matt's unpaid contract if they cut him before 2013. Total non issue. They're not keeping Matt if Peyton comes on board. Then they can apply that money straight to Peyton.

Meanwhile, Tebow's making next to nothing in Denver this year, so Peyton's payroll would all come straight off the free cap number.

BroncoBeavis
03-13-2012, 09:49 AM
Doesn't sound to me like their FO was re-evaluating anything, until their owner went off like a bull in a china shop. They were involved in going after Mario Williams, smart ass.

Oh you mean teams that go after Manning might have to forget about going after other top-tier free agents?

BroncoInferno
03-13-2012, 09:53 AM
Titans recover most of Matt's unpaid contract if they cut him before 2013. Total non issue. They're not keeping Matt if Peyton comes on board. Then they can apply that money straight to Peyton.

Meanwhile, Tebow's making next to nothing in Denver this year, so Peyton's payroll would all come straight off the free cap number.

You are ignoring the most important aspect of his post, which is that the actual football people in the Titans' organization had no intention of pursuing Manning until Adams handed down his edict. What does that say to Manning about a situation where the 89 year old owner overrides his personnel decision-makers? Frankly, I would think the meeting between Manning and Munchak et al could get a bit awkward given that they will need to explain why they expressed no interest in him until Adams yelled "Jump!"

Rohirrim
03-13-2012, 09:58 AM
Oh you mean teams that go after Manning might have to forget about going after other top-tier free agents?

We're not talking about "other top-tier agents." We're talking about the top two most expensive. They have $28 million in cap space.

Old Dude
03-13-2012, 10:08 AM

I don't think it's a complete non-issue. As I understand it, cutting him would result in about 4 million in dead money. They would, of course, wind up with a net savings in terms of their total salaries paid (until he's replaced), but they'd still have less to spend overall.

bendog
03-13-2012, 10:42 AM
I don't think it's a complete non-issue. As I understand it, cutting him would result in about 4 million in dead money. They would, of course, wind up with a net savings in terms of their total salaries paid (until he's replaced), but they'd still have less to spend overall.

you are correct, sir

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tennessee-titans/matt-hasselbeck/