PDA

View Full Version : Bunkley

LetsGoBroncos
03-12-2012, 01:03 PM
So are we not going to get him re-signed?

maher_tyler
03-12-2012, 01:05 PM
So are we not going to get him re-signed?

Hopefully, he was our best DT last year. Hopefully we can see a healthy Ty Warren this up coming season...it'd be interesting to see those two lined up together.

Steve Sewell
03-12-2012, 01:06 PM
As a free agent, why would you sign anything without testing what the market will bear for your services?

Archer81
03-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Is he waiting for Peyton to sign, too?

:Broncos:

pricejj
03-20-2012, 08:35 AM
Where in the world are you Brodrick Bunkley?

No word yet on Brodrick after visiting with the Saints on Monday...

We are waiting for you here in Colorado, good sir. You are an integral part to this team, if the Broncos are to make a championship run.

Marcus Thomas...where are you HAM? Calling all hands to the deck. ALL HANDS to the deck!!!

cmhargrove
03-20-2012, 08:37 AM
I'd like to see Bunkley lined up next to Devon Still this year.

bendog
03-20-2012, 08:46 AM
I'm starting to doubt it. He's probably the best DT not signed. EFX havn't overpaid in the past. I wouldn't rule out a Fat Albert or Henderson.

pricejj
03-20-2012, 08:51 AM
I'm starting to doubt it. He's probably the best DT not signed. EFX havn't overpaid in the past. I wouldn't rule out a Fat Albert or Henderson.

Well, they overpaid for Mays...giving Bunkley $5M wouldn't be an overpay. There has literally been no word from him since he allegedly visited the Saints on Sunday or Monday...

The Broncos have worked hard to retain this guy...re-signing Bunkley would almost give the Broncos unlimited options for the remainder of free agency, and the draft.

Come on down Brodrick...you're the NEXT contestant on THE PRICE IS RIGHT!

Taco John
03-20-2012, 08:51 AM
I think the Bunkley hold-up is because Bunkley wants to see what the market will bear. I would expect the Broncos to match anything reasonable that he's offered.

LetsGoBroncos
03-20-2012, 08:55 AM
I think the Bunkley hold-up is because Bunkley wants to see what the market will bear. I would expect the Broncos to match anything reasonable that he's offered.

Don't get a chance to match if he signs somewhere else

Taco John
03-20-2012, 08:56 AM
Don't get a chance to match if he signs somewhere else

You think Bunkley and his agent aren't going to give the Broncos a chance to match? Why would they do that?

bendog
03-20-2012, 08:56 AM
Well, they overpaid for Mays...giving Bunkley $5M wouldn't be an overpay. There has literally been no word from him since he allegedly visited the Saints on Sunday or Monday...

The Broncos have worked hard to retain this guy...re-signing Bunkley would almost give the Broncos unlimited options for the remainder of free agency, and the draft.

Come on down Brodrick...you're the NEXT contestant on THE PRICE IS RIGHT!

The mays thing ... I don't understand. With Bunkley, he never gave the value his draft slot bore. And, he had a his money year in his final contract year. TJ's probably right.

g6matty
03-20-2012, 08:57 AM
now with peyton on board i dont see how anyone doesnt wanna come here. if we dont sign him soon hes probably asking for big money. i do think in the end he will get a 3-5 year contract with us though

bendog
03-20-2012, 08:57 AM
You think Bunkley and his agent aren't going to give the Broncos a chance to match? Why would they do that?

why, it's eerily similar to waht that guy from Seattle did to us last year. (-:

pricejj
03-20-2012, 09:01 AM
The mays thing ... I don't understand. With Bunkley, he never gave the value his draft slot bore. And, he had a his money year in his final contract year. TJ's probably right.

You're right...Bunkley isn't the biggest guy in the world (306 lbs.), and Marcus Thomas had just as good of a year...but Bunkley was solid. They may be planning on starting Ty Warren at NT (where they had him penciled in last year)...

bendog
03-20-2012, 09:04 AM
Look, I of course have no clue as to what EFX plan. But it seems to me that there's more depth in the UFA market at DT than WR.

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2012WR.php

But it also seems to me that Fox is more likely to want stability on his roster than say .... offering Fat Albert a one year incentive laden contract. Bunkley's pretty young, and as far as I know he's never been a problem child.

cmhargrove
03-20-2012, 09:25 AM
You're right...Bunkley isn't the biggest guy in the world (306 lbs.), and Marcus Thomas had just as good of a year...but Bunkley was solid. They may be planning on starting Ty Warren at NT (where they had him penciled in last year)...

Did you think about this before you wrote it?

MABroncoFan
03-20-2012, 09:27 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20211022/broncos-look-at-more-traditional-backup-qbs

This says they've stepped up their negotiations w/ Bunkley.

BroncoInferno
03-20-2012, 09:33 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20211022/broncos-look-at-more-traditional-backup-qbs

This was an interesting tidbit:

The Broncos want to sign a cornerback from free agency and are hoping to land former Colts "receiving" tight end Jacob Tamme.

Perhaps they think Clark is washed-up and prefer the younger option? Tamme did have 67 catches in 2010 before slipping to just 19 catches without Manning. He's only 27. Could be a decent "value" signing while we hope Orange Julius and Virgil Green can continue to develop.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/11373/jacob-tamme

pricejj
03-20-2012, 10:33 AM
Did you think about this before you wrote it?

Statistically, in 2011, both Bunkley and Thomas were identical:

Marcus Thomas 2011: 43 tackles, 0 sacks
Brodrick Bunkley 2011: 43 tackles, 0 sacks

Do you think before you douche? Obviously not.

Good news. Thanks. :strong:

mkporter
03-20-2012, 10:35 AM
Statistically, in 2011, both Bunkley and Thomas were identical:

Marcus Thomas 2011: 43 tackles, 0 sacks
Brodrick Bunkley 2011: 43 tackles, 0 sacks

Did you think before you reacted like a douche? Obviously not.

It's official, Bunkley and Thomas are the exact same player. Tackles counts don't lie.

Traveler
03-20-2012, 10:35 AM
This was an interesting tidbit:

Perhaps they think Clark is washed-up and prefer the younger option? Tamme did have 67 catches in 2010 before slipping to just 19 catches without Manning. He's only 27. Could be a decent "value" signing while we hope Orange Julius and Virgil Green can continue to develop.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/11373/jacob-tamme

Clark is washed up. Has filled in well for him when he got the chance.

pricejj
03-20-2012, 10:42 AM
It's official, Bunkley and Thomas are the exact same player. Tackles counts don't lie.

I didn't say that. I would trust Bunkley as the starting NT...Thomas still has some things to prove, and I wouldn't trust him as the starting NT.

That One Guy
03-20-2012, 07:45 PM
PFT is reporting that Denver is working hard to resign Bunkley now. They really do seem like they were waiting for Peyton before deciding anything. How does Peyton's presence affect DTs?

Either way, good sign. Hopefully they get him.

cousinal11
03-20-2012, 07:48 PM
PFT is reporting that Denver is working hard to resign Bunkley now. They really do seem like they were waiting for Peyton before deciding anything. How does Peyton's presence affect DTs?

^ Good news, the chips are falling.

cutthemdown
03-20-2012, 07:49 PM

No thats not what happened. Elway is really smart. Bunkley knew Broncos wanted him, and he wants to stay. So you send him out to NO and some other clubs and it helps everyone gauge his value on the market now. Broncos get to match, forcing the other teams to overpay if they want him.

Its same thing Mebane did to us last yr, and this yr Soliai

That One Guy
03-20-2012, 07:50 PM
No thats not what happened. Elway is really smart. Bunkley knew Broncos wanted him, and he wants to stay. So you send him out to NO and some other clubs and it helps everyone gauge his value on the market now. Broncos get to match, forcing the other teams to overpay if they want him.

Well his value should've been gauged quickly. I don't doubt that's what he's doing overall but I would've thought they could've resolved this sooner if they'd wanted to.

cutthemdown
03-20-2012, 07:54 PM
Well his value should've been gauged quickly. I don't doubt that's what he's doing overall but I would've thought they could've resolved this sooner if they'd wanted to.

I think all contracts take work. And when you have a player and a team that both want to get something done, they sometimes will just day hey lets do this second week of FA so we can work on some other stuff. Or maybe they are throwing numbers back every couple days etc etc.

They always talked like Bunkley was coming back, so i have never really been worried. I think they told Mays, Woodyard, Bunkley, unless some team really gives you a slammin deal we are going to match.

That One Guy
03-20-2012, 08:00 PM
I think all contracts take work. And when you have a player and a team that both want to get something done, they sometimes will just day hey lets do this second week of FA so we can work on some other stuff. Or maybe they are throwing numbers back every couple days etc etc.

They always talked like Bunkley was coming back, so i have never really been worried. I think they told Mays, Woodyard, Bunkley, unless some team really gives you a slammin deal we are going to match.

I think I'm mostly basing my opinion off hearing/reading/making up something about Elway saying everything was on hold until Peyton was signed.

You're right, though, in that it has felt a lot like last year did with Thomas.

cutthemdown
03-20-2012, 08:04 PM
I think I'm mostly basing my opinion off hearing/reading/making up something about Elway saying everything was on hold until Peyton was signed.

You're right, though, in that it has felt a lot like last year did with Thomas.

Right but like you said I doubt it was because of money. They have cap space. I think maybe he means its on hold just because they were working on Mannings contract. The fact it got done once he decided says they probably were sending versions back and forth to Condon. Seems like they could do more then one at a time but who knows not my field of expertise.

I just never worried about Bunk, i still say he resigns really soon. Letting him walk just seems crazy regardless of if Manning came. So like you i can't quite get the connection to Bunkley. Maybe FA on hold as far as offensive players go, and Elway just didn't bother to make a distinction?

That One Guy
03-20-2012, 08:04 PM
Right but like you said I doubt it was because of money. They have cap space. I think maybe he means its on hold just because they were working on Mannings contract. The fact it got done once he decided says they probably were sending versions back and forth to Condon. Seems like they could do more then one at a time but who knows not my field of expertise.

I just never worried about Bunk, i still say he resigns really soon. Letting him walk just seems crazy regardless of if Manning came. So like you i can't quite get the connection to Bunkley. Maybe FA on hold as far as offensive players go, and Elway just didn't bother to make a distinction?

Gotcha. Makes sense.

cmhargrove
03-20-2012, 08:32 PM
I didn't say that. I would trust Bunkley as the starting NT...Thomas still has some things to prove, and I wouldn't trust him as the starting NT.

You don't really need me to interject here since you are doing a great job of submarining your own argument.

Bunkley is a quality starter, Marcus Thomas should be replaced immediately (if we want to improve). I'm glad we're working hard to re-sign Bunk. Thomas can take a hike.

ZONA
03-20-2012, 09:58 PM

We don't run a 3-4 anymore so we don't have a NT. We just have 2 DT's.

DENVERDUI55
03-20-2012, 10:02 PM

You can play a 4-3 and have a NT.

MABroncoFan
03-20-2012, 10:59 PM
Jason La Canfora‏@JasonLaCanfora
Broncos working hard to retain DL Brodrick Bunkley, 1 of top free agents still on market, but he's visiting New Orleans tonite #freeagency

lonestar
03-20-2012, 11:04 PM

Why do you think that? he is not a restricted FA.. He is a UFA..

Other than IF he wants to come back to DEN and let them match or up the ante.. other than that he has no need to be here..

broncocalijohn
03-20-2012, 11:05 PM

Has he done that in the past like in 2011? He was with us for only a season so it isn't like we will get some home town discount or favor unless he liked playing for the Broncos and the city.

Taco John
03-20-2012, 11:13 PM
Has he done that in the past like in 2011? He was with us for only a season so it isn't like we will get some home town discount or favor unless he liked playing for the Broncos and the city.

Has nothing to do with a hometown discount. If the Saints are paying $x million and you have to move, but the Broncos are matching the same amount, and you don't have to move, chances are you're not going to want to move. Add in the team excitement of Peyton Manning, and this thing looks like a no-brainer. What is happening right now is standard operating proceedure. He's testing his market value. The Broncos have let him know that he's wanted in Denver. He'll get an offer, and the Broncos will get a chance to match it or pass on it. With $40 million in cap space, we'll probably match it.

We're having a great offseason so far. I can't understand where all the pointless angst is coming from.

cutthemdown
03-21-2012, 12:26 AM
Why do you think that? he is not a restricted FA.. He is a UFA..

Other than IF he wants to come back to DEN and let them match or up the ante.. other than that he has no need to be here..

Right you need to read all my posts. That's what I am saying. The Broncos have a good relationship with Bunkley and aren't worried about him not giving us a chance to match. Him hitting the road was much like Mebane last your for seattle. Where the whole time people saying he will probably just resign in Seattle. Bunk can sign wherever he wants though you are right.

My point is that I think Broncos told Bunkley they will match. When the team you want to play for says that then you go get the best deal you can find. That happens a lot in the NFL. The other team basically does the contract for you.

Everyone up in arms about Joe Mays but I guess NO liked him more then we do. He probably got that money because other teams though he played well and there was a market for him.

cutthemdown
03-21-2012, 12:29 AM
Last yr i heard the Raiders thought they got a chance to match offers for Zach Miller, but then Sea made a great offer and said take it now or leave it. And he took it. So there is always that risk when you let players visit other teams instead of just signing him. I just think Elway a lot smarter then you all think he is.

Hes going to end up one of the best FO guys in the NFL.

pricejj
03-21-2012, 07:18 AM

In a 4-3, there is generally an UnderTackle, and a NoseTackle.

NT - Run Stopper, take on double teams to keep C or OG off of LB's (like Brodrick Bunkley)
UT - Run Stopper, rush the QB on passing downs (like Warren Sapp)

ColoradoBuff
03-21-2012, 07:26 AM
Vic Lombardi ‏ <S>@</S>VicLombardi
RT <S>@</S>dnel0780 (http://twitter.com/dnel0780): Why r they having such a hard time w/ DL Brodrick Bunkley?----it'll get done. agents like to shop around.

NICE!

Pony Boy
03-21-2012, 07:39 AM
Manning needs to blow Bunkley's phone up.

bendog
03-21-2012, 08:01 AM
Given the way Elway discarded Tim like a soiled kleenex, how can Bunkley even negotiate with him. Bunkley should just pack now.

MABroncoFan
03-21-2012, 09:24 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20218935/broncos-executives-still-focused-free-agent-strategy

The team, having signed safety Mike Adams to go with linebackers Joe Mays and Wesley Woodyard, continued to close in on a new deal to bring back defensive tackle Brodrick Bunkley.

"We're close there," said Broncos executive vice president of football operations John Elway.

pricejj
03-21-2012, 09:55 AM
LOL it has taken 2 weeks to sign Bunkley...god I hope all of them aren't this tough. At this rate, we may finally have a 53 man roster by October.

Drunk Monkey
03-21-2012, 10:28 AM
Sean Payton suspended for 1 year. The aint's aren't looking very attractive right now.

tsiguy96
03-21-2012, 10:57 AM
is a saint. 5 yr 25mil, 9 mil gauranteed

Kid A
03-21-2012, 10:58 AM

crush17

BroncoDoug
Well Chit

Jekyll15Hyde
03-21-2012, 10:59 AM
damn

Ray Finkle
03-21-2012, 11:00 AM
fudge sickle...

Broncos_OTM
Well there's that

phibacka31
Terrible... We got to do more than get manning...

Kaylore
03-21-2012, 11:01 AM
That really sucks. I hope Ty Warren can move his knees a little.

KCStud
Devastating loss. Now there is no legit player to stop the run up the middle.

Baba Booey
That's a big blow to our already miserable DT crop.

We better hope that A. Warren is healthy (and stays that way) and back to form (long shot) and B. that we can find some bargains on the DT market.

And you can rest assured that's where we're going with the 25th pick.

Ray Finkle
03-21-2012, 11:02 AM
what's left....Pat Sims? Franklin's neck fat? Thomas? yuck...

Broncos_OTM
Devastating loss. Now there is no legit player to stop the run up the middle.

Troll much?

Drunk Monkey

mkporter
Hard to believe they couldn't get this done. Money wasn't unreasonable. I am disappoint.

KCStud
03-21-2012, 11:03 AM
Troll much?

Bunkley left and you guys already had trouble stopping the run. You mad?

Requiem
03-21-2012, 11:03 AM
Don't be disappointed. This should ensure a first or a second rounder being used on one. I mean, it almost has to -- right?

g6matty
03-21-2012, 11:04 AM
wtf bunkley

Requiem
03-21-2012, 11:04 AM

Next to Mediator I've probably seen more of Bunkley than anyone on these boards and for **** sakes he is not worth 5 million dollars a year to stop the run. You get a guy like BRandon Thompson at the end of round two or he slips into three and you pay him 1 million a year.

Beantown Bronco
03-21-2012, 11:05 AM
Aubrayo Franklin, please pick up the white courtesy phone....

Gcver2ver3
What is EFX's issue with low ballin DTs?

They need to trade for one or something, sheez...

SonOfLe-loLang
This one sent a sharp pain to the tip of my dick. Garay? Franklin? Pu Pu Platter?

Doggcow

You guys sucked already, and you already had trouble not sucking. You mad?

gyldenlove
03-21-2012, 11:06 AM
So who made the bigger mistake, Eddie Royal now being the 5th target for Phyllis or Bunkley playing for whoever ends up coaching the Saints?

BMarsh615
03-21-2012, 11:06 AM

http://localtvkwgn.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/manning-wide2.jpg

Taco John
03-21-2012, 11:07 AM
>5yrs $25m with $9m grntd.

Are you kidding me! LOL!

He got almost double what I would have given him. Maybe it's backloaded? No way he should be making $5 mil a year.

KCStud
03-21-2012, 11:07 AM
You guys sucked already, and you already had trouble not sucking. You mad?

We had a terrible year last year, but still beat you in a game you had to win. That says a Dog.

Rabb
03-21-2012, 11:10 AM
We had a terrible year last year, but still beat you in a game you had to win. That says a Dog.

it's cute you are used to consolation prizes....keep beating that drum kitten

mkporter
03-21-2012, 11:10 AM

We clearly didn't have to win that game. And who is this "Dog" you speak of?

Traveler
03-21-2012, 11:11 AM
One year rental for a 2013 5th rounder. FO whiffed on this trade.

Doggcow
03-21-2012, 11:12 AM

Wait, we didn't make the playoffs and beat Pitt? Ugh. Damn.

Didn't we beat you with 2 completions? How ****ed are you now?

Rabb
03-21-2012, 11:12 AM
One year rental for a 2013 5th rounder. FO whiffed on this trade.

What?

Beantown Bronco
03-21-2012, 11:14 AM
Now is when it becomes even more obvious that we should've signed some combo of Mebane, Jenkins or Cofield last year....

Bmore Manning
03-21-2012, 11:14 AM
I know I am new, but this isn't terrible for Denver. He was overpaid. Garay and Franklin come on down! And draft DTs this year, two of them! Thompson and Chapman!

Bmore Manning
03-21-2012, 11:15 AM
Where the FO missed out was on Soliai..

Traveler
03-21-2012, 11:21 AM
What?

What? What?

The Joker
03-21-2012, 11:29 AM
He's probably getting overpaid, but honestly with our lack of talent at DT it may have been worth it to us to give him the deal.

The consolation in this is that we'll spend a lot of time in our nickel D next year as with Manning we'll be putting up points and forcing teams to pass the ball more, so it's not nearly as big a blow as it would have been had we been going for a Tebow led ball control offense.

Still, we need ****ing someone who can play DT. Expecting rookies to come in and be starters right away at DT is insanely risky, especially for a team which is supposedly in 'win now' mode with Manning on board.

I hope they have some sort of plan that isn't named Ty Warren or Kevin Vickerson.