PDA

View Full Version : QB Drama - any place with more than Denver?

mwill07
03-12-2012, 06:46 AM
Is there any team in any sport with more drama than the Broncos & QB?

It started when Elway, the #1 overall pick, forced his way out of Baltimore.

Mosy of Elways tenure w/ Reeves was filled with drama - conspiring w/ Shanahan, feuding w/ Reeves, and the drafting of Tommy Maddox.

There was peace during the Phillips and early Shanahan era, but then there was Brister vs Griese thing... If memory serves me, Bubby was going to be the guy, handed the keys to the Ferreri all pre-season, only for Griese to be named the starter just before the season.

After he sucked, we signed Jake, and things were great... No mistake Jake took us to the AFCCG, and then we drafted cutler the very next year.

Things are fine for a year or two, and cutty pitches a fit and forces his way out of town; enter Orton. He plays well, and we get Tebow.

As soon as Tebow shows promise, we start flirting w/ Manning.

It's been a crazy run and goes back decades. I know we are far from the only team to have QB controversies, but I think we maybe have had more than other teams, we have had more nationally relevant controversies, and had better players involved. Other teams have had revolving QB's, but it's usually because they can't find anyone good. We can't seem to ever be happy with good, we expect great.

Ronnie Tsunami
03-12-2012, 06:48 AM

Mosy of Elways tenure w/ Reeves was filled with drama - conspiring w/ Shanahan, feuding w/ Reeves, and the drafting of Tommy Maddox.

There was peace during the Phillips and early Shanahan era, but then there was Brister vs Griese thing... If memory serves me, Bubby was going to be the guy, handed the keys to the Ferreri all pre-season, only for Griese to be named the starter just before the season.

After he sucked, we signed Jake, and things were great... No mistake Jake took us to the AFCCG, and then we drafted cutler the very next year.

Things are fine for a year or two, and cutty pitches a fit and forces his way out of town; enter Orton. He plays well, and we get Tebow.

It's been a crazy run and goes back decades. I know we are far from the only team to have QB controversies, but I think we maybe have had more than other teams, we have had more nationally relevant controversies, and had better players involved. Other teams have had revolving QB's, but it's usually because they can't find anyone good. We can't seem to ever be happy with good, we expect great.

answer: a definitive no. not up for debate. Denver is drama central. end thread.

maher_tyler
03-12-2012, 06:56 AM

We expect great because those are the guys that usually win the SBs. It's not rocket science. Everyone is always looking for that next Elway, Montana, Manning, Brady etc.

BroncoBeavis
03-12-2012, 07:17 AM
We expect great because those are the guys that usually win the SBs. It's not rocket science. Everyone is always looking for that next Elway, Montana, Manning, Brady etc.

Unfortunately this FO would've traded JE in 1985.

At this point I think JohnJohn lacks the patience to develop a young QB. Shortcutting to Manning will only make that worse. This franchise is in for long term trouble.

Gcver2ver3
03-12-2012, 07:25 AM
our national attention doesn't stop with QBs (Tebow drama, Cutler drama, Peyton drama, etc)...

we just stay in the headlines period...

Maurice Claurett circus...

Jerry Rice circus...

Broncos players deaths...

Shanny getting canned...

McD's countless antics (Cutler, drafting, spygate2, etc)

Brandon Marshall antics...

list goes on, i'm sure i missed plenty...

canadianbroncosfan
03-12-2012, 07:27 AM

At this point I think JohnJohn lacks the patience to develop a young QB. Shortcutting to Manning will only make that worse. This franchise is in for long term trouble.

Umm this FO IS JE

spdirty
03-12-2012, 07:47 AM
Well, what I find kind of funny is the fact that we've been looking for a proper Elway replacement since Elway retired. Who better to find that replacement but John Elway himself?

fontaine
03-12-2012, 08:10 AM
There is no drama. Just folks who go full bore drama queen on sites like this one.

QBs get replaced, changed, benched, dumped, signed and drafted all the time in plenty of teams and most fans deal with it.

BroncoBeavis
03-12-2012, 08:14 AM
Umm this FO IS JE

That only makes it worse. I'm not sure he's of the right mindset to develop a young QB. He's looking for himself circa 1996 and forgetting all he went through to get there.

jhns
03-12-2012, 08:14 AM
There is no drama. Just folks who go full bore drama queen on sites like this one.

QBs get replaced, changed, benched, dumped, signed and drafted all the time in plenty of teams and most fans deal with it.

Really?

Name one other team that has given away a 25 year old pro bowl QB...

bendog
03-12-2012, 08:16 AM
beavis, king of projection

bendog
03-12-2012, 08:17 AM
and actually its a stupid thread. Jests, Skins, Niners and .... colts to name a few. It's life in the NFL. get good or get gone.

Steve Sewell
03-12-2012, 08:19 AM

You should get a forum vacation for all the trolling that you're doing. I'm sure you'll get some bites though.

Dutch
03-12-2012, 08:26 AM
You should get a forum vacation for all the trolling that you're doing. I'm sure you'll get some bites though.

If you knuckleheads would quit quoting this idiot, those of us who have him on ignore wouldn't have to look at his garbage.....please stop quoting the trolls.

BroncoBeavis
03-12-2012, 08:26 AM
and actually its a stupid thread. Jests, Skins, Niners and .... colts to name a few. It's life in the NFL. get good or get gone.

Great examples. Two headcase franchises and the team that finally looked good when it just went back to the same Alex Smith who looked like **** his first couple years.

It's almost like you want to be the Redskins.

BroncoBeavis
03-12-2012, 08:28 AM

Elway was a great QB and IS a ****ty exec. That's not trolling. Just the truth.

bendog
03-12-2012, 08:30 AM
Beavis, you werent even a fan then and possibly not even born. STFU

BroncoBeavis
03-12-2012, 08:35 AM
Beavis, you werent even a fan then and possibly not even born. STFU

Tell you what. I'll sell you my Elway Fathead if this whole mess turns out the way people expect. I'm not sure I'll want to look at it anymore anyway.

Ray Finkle
03-12-2012, 08:36 AM
spend some time in DC.....Denver has 1/10th the drama that goes on here.

TonyR
03-12-2012, 08:40 AM

Agree, there is a good deal of QB drama everywhere. I've lived in the Philly media market for quite a while and the dramas with Randall Cunningham, Donovan McNabb, and now Michael Vick have been pretty epic. Maybe not quite as crazy as what's gone down in Denver, but pretty crazy.

maher_tyler
03-12-2012, 08:43 AM

The thing that sucks is that with Manning as our QB, we will lose out on any chance to draft Jones or Barkley next year, most likely. Only way we win is if we win the Super Bowl. Even if we do, it's back to the drawing board in 2-3 years. I have a strong feeling, that if we do or don't get Manning, we will be taking a QB in the 2nd round of this draft. Prolly Weeden or Foles would be my guess.

mwill07
03-12-2012, 08:46 AM

I don't think so. Let's talk about teams working to replace a successful QB. Reeves tried to replace Elway w/ Maddox. Shanahan pulled the plug on Griese after he had some success. Shanahan drafted cutler the year after Plummers best season. McD tried to replace cutler with Casssel, and then did replace him with Orton. McD next tried to replace Orton with Tebow, which eventually did happen. EFX is trying to replace Tebow w/ Manning. All of these guys (except Orton) had winning records when mgt started working on their replacement.

Pick Six
03-12-2012, 09:26 AM
Well, what I find kind of funny is the fact that we've been looking for a proper Elway replacement since Elway retired. Who better to find that replacement but John Elway himself?

Replacement? Not really...We would be getting a sure-fire HOFer on the downside of his career...

bronco militia
03-12-2012, 09:26 AM
we always have the best/worst offseasons. And to think I was still weary of the Griese/Plummer fiasco when the Broncos made the move to trade up and draft Cutler. Things haven't changed much since elway retired.

http://www.pistonsforum.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/dizzy.gif

Drunken.Broncoholic
03-12-2012, 09:35 AM
All because of pizza eating Lego building punk McDamnit.

bendog
03-12-2012, 09:42 AM
I dunno. I recall Lamonica's arm going and Blanda coming in to win games at the last second, then Lamonica getting axed for Stabler, who never could run the verticle game that Davis loved, and trading Stabler for Pastorini, who didn't work out well, then getting Plunkett who had a couple of years, but then shared time with Marc Wilson whose incosistency led to Davis trying to get Elway for three firsts ... and up to the craziness of the Palmer thing.

Can anything really compare to Shanny and the skins. And George Allen benched a hall of famer for Billy Kilmer. And look at SF with the Montana/Young thing and now Alex Smith as the first overall pick.

Imo, Elway was a decade and half of stability, and then Den was pretty much like everyone else, searching for a franchise guy. Now McDickhead has a ego that drives him to creating a clsterfk.

BroncoBuff
03-12-2012, 09:49 AM

Disagree with your conclusions, but I'll rep the detailed recap.

And I'll throw in a couple less-glamorous bits of drama: After 6 concussions in a short span, QB Chris Miller was out of the league for three years ... no team would touch him. Mike Shanahan found a doctor who cleared him to play, and he suffered a bad one in his "comeback" here. That next offseason, Shanahan met with 7x concussed Steve Young. Young had jut missed all but 3 games in 98 because of two new concussions, and his doctors were unianimous he had to retire. Still, Mike gave him the full court press to sign with the Broncos. He said no of course ... a pretty good source said Young was kinda ticked off about it.

bendog
03-12-2012, 09:56 AM
Imo, it comes in two varieties. A team has no set starter or there's a guy in the wings, or a team had long qb stability and then wanders around in the desert looking for a new one. Green Bay for example. After Starr they had 8 different guys lead them in passing over 21 years. And three of those were with the guy Majikowiski or whatever, who really was pretty good till he blew his arm out and left football.

Then they traded for Faver ... and then the Rodgers draft pick.

BroncoBeavis
03-12-2012, 10:00 AM
The thing that sucks is that with Manning as our QB, we will lose out on any chance to draft Jones or Barkley next year, most likely. Only way we win is if we win the Super Bowl. Even if we do, it's back to the drawing board in 2-3 years. I have a strong feeling, that if we do or don't get Manning, we will be taking a QB in the 2nd round of this draft. Prolly Weeden or Foles would be my guess.

You mean 28yo College Spread offense Weeden? Sounds like a good use of picks in our current scenario. I'm told that adjustment can't be made.

fontaine
03-13-2012, 05:55 AM
Really?

Name one other team that has given away a 25 year old pro bowl QB...

I'm not sure of their ages but Favre, Brees and an older Warner pretty much punked out their former teams that gave up on them.

Meck77
03-13-2012, 08:16 AM

It's all in your own mind. It's human nature to believe our personal problems are greater than the other 6.5 Billion peoples on the planet.

HOF QBs interested enough to play in Denver a problem? Come on now. You could be a chief fan who's team is never in the spotlight. Quite frankly the Chiefs just don't make the news nor have they mattered much in terms of NFL news or playoffs.

Hulamau
03-13-2012, 08:41 AM
That only makes it worse. I'm not sure he's of the right mindset to develop a young QB. He's looking for himself circa 1996 and forgetting all he went through to get there.

Oh really, Swamiji tell us more with your crystal ball into what Elway is really thinking....and forgetting. Hilarious!

jhns
03-13-2012, 12:11 PM
I'm not sure of their ages but Favre, Brees and an older Warner pretty much punked out their former teams that gave up on them.

While that is true, they were all older(which happens) or hadn't done anything of note before changing teams. We gave away a 25 year old pro bowler that had just thrown for 4500 yards and had 27 TDs. I can't think of another example of anything close to this happening. I still can't believe people actually supported McD...

BroncoBen
03-13-2012, 12:22 PM
It's called .. 'Quest' to replace a legend in John Elway.

Irish Stout
03-13-2012, 12:32 PM
While that is true, they were all older(which happens) or hadn't done anything of note before changing teams. We gave away a 25 year old pro bowler that had just thrown for 4500 yards and had 27 TDs. I can't think of another example of anything close to this happening. I still can't believe people actually supported McD...

Drew Brees in 2004 (he was 25) took his team to 12-4, AFC West Champs, Pro Bowl, QB rating of 104.8, 27 TDs to 7 Ints. End of that season, in 2005 (he was 26) let go for Phillip Rivers.

Its pretty darn close. Not the EXACT same and Brees at that point was an RFA, if I recall in 2005.

I'll give you that you were right on McD and I was wrong, but I will not yet admit to being wrong about Cutler. Dude's attitude is always going to be his hinderance from being one of the absolute best. Maybe having a kid will change him, but until he can turn that frown upside down I just don't see it.

jhns
03-13-2012, 12:37 PM
Drew Brees in 2004 (he was 25) took his team to 12-4, AFC West Champs, Pro Bowl, QB rating of 104.8, 27 TDs to 7 Ints. End of that season, in 2005 (he was 26) let go for Phillip Rivers.

Its pretty darn close. Not the EXACT same and Brees at that point was an RFA, if I recall in 2005.

I'll give you that you were right on McD and I was wrong, but I will not yet admit to being wrong about Cutler. Dude's attitude is always going to be his hinderance from being one of the absolute best. Maybe having a kid will change him, but until he can turn that frown upside down I just don't see it.

I didn't remember Brees being in the pro bowl, I guess that is close to the same.

The frown is just the way his face sits. This excuse is still very lame. No one that actually knows him, has qny problem with his personality. Elway called him the type of player you don't give up on. Shanahan still only says good things and he knows about winning attitudes. The only personality "problem" he has is not being able to get along with McD, who had problems working with multiple other people...

alkemical
03-13-2012, 12:53 PM

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k82/amesj523/emojaycutler.jpg

Irish Stout
03-13-2012, 12:57 PM
I didn't remember Brees being in the pro bowl, I guess that is close to the same.

The frown is just the way his face sits. This excuse is still very lame. No one that actually knows him, has qny problem with his personality. Elway called him the type of player you don't give up on. Shanahan still only says good things and he knows about winning attitudes. The only personality "problem" he has is not being able to get along with McD, who had problems working with multiple other people...

All give you that McD screwed the pooch on the J.C. deal and had issues everywhere. With the offense we had in place under Shanny we should have been potent for years to come... But ultimately the word most people believe is that it was Bowlen who decided to get rid of JC because of his butt hurt attitude. I don't know him personally though.

WolfpackGuy
03-13-2012, 12:59 PM
Brees was terrible in 2003 leading to the Chuggers drafting first overall which begat Eli then Rivers after the trade.

They were stuck with Brees because Phyllis held out so long.

Drew's 2004 season came out of nowhere because he had been average up to that point.