PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Could Gabbert Benefit from Manning

v2micca
03-12-2012, 06:28 AM
Okay, let's assume that the Broncos manage to land Peyton Manning. Let's also assume that as a result, Tim Tebow has no interest in continuing his career in Denver and thus requests a trade. Let us also assume that Jacksonville is an eager suitor for his services. Would we be interested in acquiring Blaine Gabbert? I know he had a horrific rookie season. But, he was kind of thrown to the wolves. I can't help but think that 3 years under Manning would go a long way in helping him realize his full potential. So, what do we think?

SoDak Bronco
03-12-2012, 06:35 AM
If if if...no he sucks

cmhargrove
03-12-2012, 06:42 AM
Okay, let's assume that the Broncos manage to land Peyton Manning. Let's also assume that as a result, Tim Tebow has no interest in continuing his career in Denver and thus requests a trade. Let us also assume that Jacksonville is an eager suitor for his services. Would we be interested in acquiring Blaine Gabbert? I know he had a horrific rookie season. But, he was kind of thrown to the wolves. I can't help but think that 3 years under Manning would go a long way in helping him realize his full potential. So, what do we think?

Jacksonville may very well welcome Tebow, but why does everyone think they would dump Gabbert? They traded up for him, and have already put a year into his development. That being said, Gabbert is a dweeb, and needs to grow some balls.

I know the Manning thing changes the whole equation, but I wouldn't trade 1 Tebow for 10 Gabberts. Tebow at least has the chance to be a once in a generation player if he can fully develop, I don't think Gabbert has that type of ceiling.

Ronnie Tsunami
03-12-2012, 06:45 AM
Blaine Gabbert ****ing blows. Anyone on this board who would give him a chance is out of tune with reality and how bad he truly is. And not just how bad he currently is. His potential is almost reached. He isn't going to progress much more. He has zero pocket presence. Absolutely joke of a QB. I'd rather keep Tebow.

canadianbroncosfan
03-12-2012, 06:45 AM
Umm no thanks.

canadianbroncosfan
03-12-2012, 06:46 AM
Also staying abstinent from the poll until I can vote for Dortoh!

fontaine
03-12-2012, 06:49 AM
Okay, let's assume that the Broncos manage to land Peyton Manning. Let's also assume that as a result, Tim Tebow has no interest in continuing his career in Denver and thus requests a trade. Let us also assume that Jacksonville is an eager suitor for his services.

let's not

Steve Sewell
03-12-2012, 06:54 AM
Gabbert has all the physical tools to be a good NFL QB but lacks in pretty much every other area.

BowlenBall
03-12-2012, 06:54 AM
Gabbert looked horrible last year... not interested in the least.

chrisp
03-12-2012, 07:00 AM
IF we land manning and IF we then get rid of Tebow then it is an interesting idea to bring in a young QB with upside to sit behind Manning for a couple of years. But there's a lot of ifs in there, and I wouldn't want to give up much for someone who has disappointed.

I'm actually wondering if Brady Quinn factors back into things a little more if Manning comes and Tebow goes? Probably not as my guess is he still wants a shot at starting somewhere, but if you're backing up Manning you know you probably don't have that long to wait.... also I doubt he commands a high fee in FA after warming our bench for a couple of years...

ColoradoDarin
03-12-2012, 07:03 AM
No. But I see how it makes sense since Gabbert is almost as good as Sorgi.

cmhargrove
03-12-2012, 07:20 AM
IF we land manning and IF we then get rid of Tebow then it is an interesting idea to bring in a young QB with upside to sit behind Manning for a couple of years. But there's a lot of ifs in there, and I wouldn't want to give up much for someone who has disappointed.

I'm actually wondering if Brady Quinn factors back into things a little more if Manning comes and Tebow goes? Probably not as my guess is he still wants a shot at starting somewhere, but if you're backing up Manning you know you probably don't have that long to wait.... also I doubt he commands a high fee in FA after warming our bench for a couple of years...

im not saying no, but why not develop a kid who looks like he can be a starter? Do you really think brady Quinn looks like anything more than a backup? I would rather get a new kid in the draft that might pan out, rather than one that has proven he never will.

v2micca
03-12-2012, 07:27 AM
Gabbert has all the physical tools to be a good NFL QB but lacks in pretty much every other area.

Yes, all of his physical measurables are right where you would want them to be for a potential Franchise Quarterback. However, he has shown a lack of mental toughness, poor decision making, and an inability to adjust to the speed of the NFL game. I guess the question is, do you think that a 2-3 year apprenticeship under Peyton Manning could correct any of these limitations?

I'm asking because I didn't really spend enough time watching Jacksonville games this year to get a decent read on the kid. All I have to go by is his stat line, which is pretty ugly. However, I wonder if during that disastrous rookie campaign he showed any flashes of talent. Was he simply overwhelmed by the thresher of his first pro-season and could potentially adjust? Or were there deeper limitations that were simply exposed during his first full NFL season.

These are questions that I would very much like to discuss with someone who actually watched a lot of his game tape and spent some time analyzing it.

mwill07
03-12-2012, 07:39 AM
Could Gabbert benefit? Sure. You know who else could benefit? Tim Tebow.

BroncoBeavis
03-12-2012, 07:42 AM
Could Gabbert benefit? Sure. You know who else could benefit? Tim Tebow.

Elway's incapable of putting his dickishness away long enough to make something like that happen.

v2micca
03-12-2012, 07:49 AM
Elway's incapable of putting his dickishness away long enough to make something like that happen.

The Hell? I can't even begin to unravel the tangle of this logic. If Tebow is willing to stay in Denver and learn under Manning, I guarantee that Elway would sign off on Tim apprenticing under Peyton for the next few years before taking over the reigns. Personally, I would love for Tebow to stay a Bronco and learn from arguably the greatest QB in this generation. However, I'm a realist enough to see that Tebow probably would not be a willing participant in that grand experiment.

Steve Sewell
03-12-2012, 07:51 AM
Yes, all of his physical measurables are right where you would want them to be for a potential Franchise Quarterback. However, he has shown a lack of mental toughness, poor decision making, and an inability to adjust to the speed of the NFL game. I guess the question is, do you think that a 2-3 year apprenticeship under Peyton Manning could correct any of these limitations?

I'm asking because I didn't really spend enough time watching Jacksonville games this year to get a decent read on the kid. All I have to go by is his stat line, which is pretty ugly. However, I wonder if during that disastrous rookie campaign he showed any flashes of talent. Was he simply overwhelmed by the thresher of his first pro-season and could potentially adjust? Or were there deeper limitations that were simply exposed during his first full NFL season.

These are questions that I would very much like to discuss with someone who actually watched a lot of his game tape and spent some time analyzing it.

Here's the thing...Gabbert wasn't even really good in college, and living in Big 12 country (at the time) I saw a lot of Mizzou games. He wow'd people at pre-draft workouts if anything. When I saw him moving up people's board I was wondering "do these guys even watch tape at all?"

Yes he has all the measurables but those don't translate all that well on the field (for him). I think he'll always be a career backup ala Brady Quinn and Jimmy Clausen.

Kaylore
03-12-2012, 07:53 AM
Technically speaking, yes, he could benefit from Gabbert. In a vacuum Manning around Gabbert would make him a better QB.

The implication is that we should get Gabbert and let him learn behind Manning. Gabbert sucks.

Steve Sewell
03-12-2012, 07:53 AM
The Hell? I can't even begin to unravel the tangle of this logic. If Tebow is willing to stay in Denver and learn under Manning, I guarantee that Elway would sign off on Tim apprenticing under Peyton for the next few years before taking over the reigns. Personally, I would love for Tebow to stay a Bronco and learn from arguably the greatest QB in this generation. However, I'm a realist enough to see that Tebow probably would not be a willing participant in that grand experiment.

And neither would Manning from what I've read, from a standpoint of "tutoring" a young QB.

v2micca
03-12-2012, 08:02 AM
Here's the thing...Gabbert wasn't even really good in college, and living in Big 12 country (at the time) I saw a lot of Mizzou games. He wow'd people at pre-draft workouts if anything. When I saw him moving up people's board I was wondering "do these guys even watch tape at all?"

Yes he has all the measurables but those don't translate all that well on the field (for him). I think he'll always be a career backup ala Brady Quinn and Jimmy Clausen.

This is what I was looking for, input from someone who had watched his games. Like I said, his raw physical abilities are impressive. But, from your analysis, it sounds like he will never quite be able to translate those abilities into on field production.

mwill07
03-12-2012, 08:03 AM
And neither would Manning from what I've read, from a standpoint of "tutoring" a young QB.

A 31 yr old Manning? Sure. I've got to think that a 36 yr old Manning, who just sat out a year and watched his understudies stink it up, and who is in the twilight of his career, may take a different tact.

One thing you learn as you age is perspective. I'm here to say that Manning may have more now than previously.

BroncoBuff
03-12-2012, 08:11 AM
Gabbert looked horrible last year... not interested in the least.

Break down his rookie season game by game, and it doesn't look so bad to me.

Gabbert's game trended higher and higher as the year progressed. Despite the fact his attempts went way up down the stretch, his comp % exceeded his season average in 6 of the last 8 games. Take out those two bad games, and the Jaguars finished 3-3 behind his 58% completion rate.

Jags were 0-5 his first 6 starts, 4-6 thereafter. Seems pretty tough, resilient.

http://img848.imageshack.us/img848/97/gabbert.jpg

MagicHef
03-12-2012, 08:38 AM
Wouldn't any young QB benefit from Manning? The young QB in question still needs to be talented of his own accord. Sorgi and Painter didn't exactly turn into franchise guys.

bendog
03-12-2012, 08:55 AM
Gabbert didn't have all that bad a rookie year, considering the team purposefully threw him to the wolves with no plan B because of money issues. It was bad, but he still has the measurable skills in a pro-style offense.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-12-2012, 08:57 AM
I think its funny that we're discussing two QBs that arent even on our team

maher_tyler
03-12-2012, 08:57 AM
I'd much rather keep Tebow. If Tebow gets traded or released i doubt it'll be because he asked for it.

Broncbow
03-12-2012, 09:10 AM
Blaine Gabbert ****ing blows.

/thread.

Pick Six
03-12-2012, 09:27 AM
He wasn't THAT great, in college...

Drunken.Broncoholic
03-12-2012, 09:33 AM
Gabbert wouldn't benefit from new genes. I'd rather have a 28 yr old rookie or Tannehill

v2micca
03-12-2012, 09:35 AM
I think its funny that we're discussing two QBs that arent even on our team

Not all that different from discussing College Prospects. Anyone that the Broncos could potentially acquire will sooner or later get a thread around here.

bendog
03-12-2012, 09:49 AM
Not all that different from discussing College Prospects. Anyone that the Broncos could potentially acquire will sooner or later get a thread around here.

So long as the thread also involves Tebow.

Mogulseeker
03-12-2012, 09:56 AM
I'd take Gabbert if we absolutely have to trade Tebow.

UberBroncoMan
03-12-2012, 10:30 AM
Let's count all the superstar QB's that have emerged under Manning the last fourteen years.

Yeah, ok.

Mogulseeker
03-12-2012, 11:08 AM
Let's count all the superstar QB's that have emerged under Manning the last fourteen years.

Yeah, ok.

Manning was iron man until his neck injury... no QB's have had the opportunity to emerge. Peyton has 3 more good years in him... maybe 5 years if he wants to pull a Brett Favre, so mentoring a young guy will be part of the deal.

Mogulseeker
03-12-2012, 11:11 AM
That said, if you look at empirical measures, Blaine Gabbert is about as good as it gets. Not to **** on Tebow - especially because of his intangibles - but Gabbert is one of the biggest, strongest, fastest, and smartest QBs in the NFL - specifically a 4.61 40 to Tebow's 4.71, and a 42 wonderlic to Tebow's 22. There's a reason Gabbert was a top ten pick, and I think he's going to be a very good QB in the NFL.

Mogulseeker
03-12-2012, 11:13 AM
I would prefer to sign Manning to a 2-year deal with a 1-year roster option on top in case he wants to play a 3rd year, and to sit Tebow. If Tebow MUST be traded, I would be fine with Tebow for Gabbert, straight up, if Jacksonville is willing to do it.

UberBroncoMan
03-12-2012, 11:51 AM
Manning was iron mand until his neck injury... no QB's have had the opportunity to emerge. Peyton has 3 more good years in him... maybe 5 years if he wants to pull a Brett Favre, so mentoring a young guy will be part of the deal.

Actually, it won't.

He wants to play QB and worry about himself. Historically he has asked for every single 1st team rep in practice. He is not continuing to play so he can play the mentor role. Some people do it, other's don't. He's not going to sign with a team that adds that he needs to be ok training the QB's under him. That's not why he plays and it would be an instant turnoff.

Hence why I brought up QB's emerging under him. None have left Indy to be successful elsewhere. There's a reason why Painter was dog **** even though he had years sitting behind Manning to "learn" how to play. If you're on Peyton team as a QB expect no meaningful reps and no tutoring. Sure he may give a few pointers here and there, but that's about it.

yerner
03-12-2012, 12:03 PM
That said, if you look at empirical measures, Blaine Gabbert is about as good as it gets. Not to **** on Tebow - especially because of his intangibles - but Gabbert is one of the biggest, strongest, fastest, and smartest QBs in the NFL - specifically a 4.61 40 to Tebow's 4.71, and a 42 wonderlic to Tebow's 22. There's a reason Gabbert was a top ten pick, and I think he's going to be a very good QB in the NFL.

Gabbert ran a 4.6? Damn.

mwill07
03-12-2012, 12:05 PM
Manning was iron man until his neck injury... no QB's have had the opportunity to emerge. Peyton has 3 more good years in him... maybe 5 years if he wants to pull a Brett Favre, so mentoring a young guy will be part of the deal.

Since 1999,how many QB's have Indy drafted in the first 5 rounds? Zero.

Sorgi = 6th in 2004, Painter =6th in 2009. Knocking Peytons back-ups is a little bit silly; Indy has never had a qualified back-up (which is pretty reckless, imo).

mwill07
03-12-2012, 12:06 PM
Actually, it won't.

He wants to play QB and worry about himself. Historically he has asked for every single 1st team rep in practice. He is not continuing to play so he can play the mentor role. Some people do it, other's don't. He's not going to sign with a team that adds that he needs to be ok training the QB's under him. That's not why he plays and it would be an instant turnoff.

Hence why I brought up QB's emerging under him. None have left Indy to be successful elsewhere. There's a reason why Painter was dog **** even though he had years sitting behind Manning to "learn" how to play. If you're on Peyton team as a QB expect no meaningful reps and no tutoring. Sure he may give a few pointers here and there, but that's about it.

Maube Painter is dog ****, regardless of any tutelage?

UberBroncoMan
03-12-2012, 12:11 PM
Maube Painter is dog ****, regardless of any tutelage?

Try turning into a good QB without reps and barely any help from the starting QB who is more concerned with spending his extra time in OC/gameplanning duties.

*WARHORSE*
03-12-2012, 12:23 PM
Gabbert would be AWESOME.

As a nail salon owner.

mwill07
03-12-2012, 12:23 PM
Try turning into a good QB without reps and barely any help from the starting QB who is more concerned with spending his extra time in OC/gameplanning duties.

I tend to think it would help to have actual talent too.