PDA

View Full Version : More surreal: Manning a Bronco or Tebowmania ending?

montrose
03-11-2012, 07:25 PM
I got to thinking earlier today how amazing the story is that Manning could actually become the QB of the Broncos, unbelievable. Arguably the NFL's best and most well known player could be in orange and blue a year after signing the richest deal in league history to finish his career in Indy...

That led to me to thinking about Tebow- the story, the debate, the attention. Few, if any if us, really KNEW when his run in Denver would end. Some thought he would be the answer for a decade, others that he'd at least get another trial run in 2012, many that he'd be pulled at some point during the season and a few that he'd be benched during camp. But did anybody, anybody, think this thing could end so abruptly as the 2nd week in March? Before camp, before the draft, hell before free agency? The story of the league last year, over? Now?

So I ask, what is more surreal to you... that Manning could be a Bronco or Tebowmania could be over in Denver this week?

Shananahan
03-11-2012, 07:28 PM
Both mindblowing, but probably Manning. We all knew Tebow might not be the answer, and would have to prove himself this year. That it might be over this soon is a shock, but I could have predicted Tebow being replaced this offseason much easier than I could have predicted Manning would be playing for Denver.

sinuous sausage
03-11-2012, 07:29 PM
Definitely the fact that I wasn't born a girl. That **** is still surreal to me

Drunken.Broncoholic
03-11-2012, 07:29 PM
I think tebow mania won't end. There will just be brand new jags jerseys being worn around town.

ScottXray
03-11-2012, 07:30 PM
Both are strange! Tebow is getting the shaft, and Manning getting
whatever he wants apparently. If this happens anything less than the super bowl is a failure.

Bowlen eventually got tired of Shanahan saying we are only 1-2 players away,
and wasting his money. Now Elway is prepared to spend more than Shanny ever did. He will be writing his ticket away from the team, if it doesn't get a super bowl win soon.

Shananahan
03-11-2012, 07:30 PM
I think tebow mania won't end. There will just be brand new jags jerseys being worn around town.
Poll says 'in Denver'.

Shananahan
03-11-2012, 07:31 PM
Now Elway is prepared to spend more than Shanny ever did. He will be writing his ticket away from the team, if it doesn't get a super bowl win soon.
I don't like all this 'Super Bowl win or total failure' nonsense.

They don't have to justify this move by winning the Super Bowl, they simply have to show that it does indeed improve the team to the level where they might be playing in one.

Rolandftw
03-11-2012, 07:32 PM
I think Tebow's days in Denver being over is very surreal to me. I still like a lot about the kid, and think he can become a good QB. Hope he gets a chance somewhere else to start. Definitely won't buy a Jags jersey of him or anything, if he does get dealt there

SoCalBronco
03-11-2012, 07:32 PM
The end of Tebowmania is a little more surreal, at least for me. Certainly acquiring a player of Manning's caliber is astounding as well, although the thought that he could be a shell of his former self slightly lessens the effect of it, but I'd say the Tebow thing is tops. To go from the thrill of the Pittsburgh win, just the way the game played out and the way the whole season played out with all those unbelievable comebacks....and for him to just be dumped after that, that is surreal. I understand the risk they are taking and the tremendous upside they believe it may provide, but just the whole concept of this is surreal for me in a bothersome way.

Rolandftw
03-11-2012, 07:33 PM

They don't have to justify this move by winning the Super Bowl, they simply have to show that it does indeed improve the team to the level where they might be playing in one.

I get what you're saying with improving the team, but am willing to bet anything short of a Super Bowl win is a failure to Manning and to the Broncos organization (if of course, they do indeed sign Manning)

Taco John
03-11-2012, 07:33 PM
I'm not yet convinced that Tebow is going anywhere. I'm with Griese on this one - I think Denver holds onto him. I think Tebow offers a strategic asset that is worth exploiting.

SoCalBronco
03-11-2012, 07:34 PM

Yes, they do have to justify it with a SB. Just getting better in a two year window is a pretty weak benefit. Ok...so we were better for two years, so what? Now its over. It also kinda depends on what Tebow does. If he continues to develop and redefines the position, even if he remains rough around the edges from time to time, it will be a huge black mark even in comparison to say two years worth of playoff appearances and say maybe an AFCCG appearance. There is great risk here. The expectation is very high, its not just continuing to make the playoffs and win a playoff game. With all of our flaws and we had a ton of them last year, we did that last year.

tsiguy96
03-11-2012, 07:35 PM
the offense was NOT good under tebow last year, but there was something so interesting and intriguing there, the fact that they rallied anyway to win games. guess i just wanted to see where that could lead to long term, with a guy like tebow at the helm. manning gives this team a far higher chance to win a superbowl this year and next year. tebow was fun to watch at times though.

Shananahan
03-11-2012, 07:35 PM
I understand the risk they are taking and the tremendous upside they believe it may provide, but just the whole concept of this is surreal for me in a bothersome way.
This is where I'm at as well.

Shananahan
03-11-2012, 07:37 PM
I think Denver holds onto him. I think Tebow offers a strategic asset that is worth exploiting.
I want to believe he stays, but I don't see it.

What strategic asset are you talking about? I really doubt Manning's going to want to be coming off the field for Tebow near the goal-line, and the offense Manning is comfortable running isn't very conducive to gimmick plays involving Tebow.

MacGruder
03-11-2012, 07:37 PM
The real irony is that Tebowmania ended Tebowmania.. I highly doubt Manning would be interested in the Broncos if Tebow hadn't carried them out of the gutter the way he did and made them a national story... Elway and Fox would be a disaster right now and might already be on the hot seat.

Requiem
03-11-2012, 07:38 PM
I was never really bothered by Tebowmania. I wanted to see him succeed. However, I wouldn't hate seeing Manning play from endzone seats for the next couple years either.

tsiguy96
03-11-2012, 07:38 PM

What strategic asset are you talking about? I really doubt Manning's going to want to be coming off the field for Tebow near the goal-line, and the offense Manning is comfortable running isn't very conducive to gimmick plays involving Tebow.

2pt conversions and 3rd and goal are almost automatic with tebow at QB.

MacGruder
03-11-2012, 07:40 PM

Manning wanted Tebow to back him up in Indy before Tebow was drafted. He said he would love Tebow converting 3rd downs for the Colts. Something to that effect..

Taco John
Yes, they do have to justify it with a SB. Just getting better in a two year window is a pretty weak benefit. Ok...so we were better for two years, so what? Now its over. It also kinda depends on what Tebow does. If he continues to develop and redefines the position, even if he remains rough around the edges from time to time, it will be a huge black mark even in comparison to say two years worth of playoff appearances and say maybe an AFCCG appearance. There is great risk here. The expectation is very high, its not just continuing to make the playoffs and win a playoff game. With all of our flaws and we had a ton of them last year, we did that last year.

I think competing for a title is a benefit enough. Obviously the goal is to win it all, but I don't think "all is lost" if we don't actually win it. That's not to be permissive if we lose it - this all unfolds in real-time, with real time decisions happening - but I think the change in culture is worth pursuing over the long term, but only really pays off if the front office stays aggressive. I believe they will.

The best part of all of this is the message that Elway is sending the fans: we will do whatever we can to win a championship here.

broncocalijohn
Definitely the fact that I wasn't born a girl. That **** is still surreal to me

Why? You a homo?

Manning coming to Denver is going to be huge. I know we got a ton of fans coming in just because of Tebow but if we sign Manning and keep Tebow, we will have the best of both worlds. Plus, we get TGN to come back!

TheReverend
03-11-2012, 07:44 PM
Option 3: How amazing Broncos off-seasons have been for half a decade strong

^ Most surreal, imo

BroncoBuff
03-11-2012, 07:44 PM
Manning for sure. Suddenly a Top 10 All-Time QB - arguably the best passer ever (not named Steve Young) - a Bronco.

Just saw his 35 fourth quarter comebacks, 46 game-winning drives, does John have that many?

Taco John
03-11-2012, 07:46 PM

^ Most surreal, imo

No kidding. Who has more drama filled offseasons than we do?

MagicHef
03-11-2012, 07:48 PM
Manning wanted Tebow to back him up in Indy before Tebow was drafted. He said he would love Tebow converting 3rd downs for the Colts. Something to that effect..

Really? Can you find a quote?

Requiem
03-11-2012, 07:48 PM

^ Most surreal, imo

We got pictures of Berts for days with all the **** that this franchise goes through. Never a dull moment, although sad with such tragedies. We still ballin' baby.

Broncobiv
03-11-2012, 07:50 PM
It is far more surreal to me that Tebowmania COULD be over in Denver. Watching the run this team made last year, all of the absolutely heart-stopping, last-second wins, was amazing! And while it was true that each of those wins was a team effort, the feeling that Tebow led the team and inspired everyone to play at a higher level was very prevalent.

I was so looking forward to next season with Tebow at the helm and a full offseason under his belt working as the starter. Now that it may all be over, after the wonderful drama we all lived through last year...well, it's just depressing.

All given up for a guy in the twilight of his career that might give us 3 years at the most. Barf.

ScottXray
03-11-2012, 07:50 PM

Hell, Fox wouldn't pull Orton for Tebow near the goal last year, or even put him in a wildcat in the redzone. Manning isn't going to come out at all in the redzone. Unless Manning tells Fox to send Tebow in on certain packages, he won't see the field at all. and Make no mistake...Manning will be calling the plays and packages he wants, and will throw anyone under the bus that gets in his way.

I hope Tebow can keep his attitude solid , casue the team isn't helping it much. I'd rather retain him , becasue, long term, he may be the answer.

I wonder if Elway still plans to work with Tim in the off season? My bet is Not. In which case Tebow will never be developed and probably shipped off for a 5th round and a bag of jelly beans. Or maybe just the jelly beans.

BroncoBuff
03-11-2012, 07:57 PM

Doesn't sound right ... link?

cmhargrove
03-11-2012, 08:03 PM
I'm not yet convinced that Tebow is going anywhere. I'm with Griese on this one - I think Denver holds onto him. I think Tebow offers a strategic asset that is worth exploiting.

Count me in on this. I'm not convinced that Tebow is gone. I think that it is possible to coexist, and with Peyton's health being a legitimate concern, it would be great To hold on to Tebow.

It seems the drama never ends in Denver, and I will be anxious to hear TT's first public comments if this happens.

razorwire77
03-11-2012, 08:04 PM
I understand the risk they are taking and the tremendous upside they believe it may provide, but just the whole concept of this is surreal for me in a bothersome way.
Long winded response (bear with me.)
That encapsulates my feelings as well. Deep down, I always had a suspicion that EFX (Elway in particular) were not willing to go all the way down the Tebow rabbit hole. They thought "OK we'll throw this kid out there, show the fans that he sucks as they watch us go 3-13 and we'll draft Andrew Luck.

Well Tebow's a competitor, the NFL struggled with the novelty of the read option and variations McCoy ran, the defense gelled (sometimes), and there was a sh*t-ton of lucky breaks along the way and suddenly, miraculously, we were an 8-8 playoff team that beat a banged up Steeler team in the playoffs.

I thought the front office would be more passive aggressive, maybe drafting a 2nd round QB this year for example, I didn't think they'd give Peyton Manning a lap dance with an under the table reach around.

What bothers me is very real possibility of the slight to moderate improvement you mentioned. Fast forward to 2013 Manning looks good, but not great by Manning standards (3,600 yards 25 TD, 12 int type season. His arm looks decent, but not per-injury strong. Denver wins the West at 10-6, maybe beats a Jets wild-card team. Suddenly we find ourselves in Baltimore or Massachusetts in the Divisional game. We lose.
Fast-forward to 2014. Manning says "you know what guys? It's been fun, but I'm 37-years-old, ****ing rich, my arm hurts and I wanna play golf." PEACE!

What happens then?

Shananahan
03-11-2012, 08:12 PM
I wonder if Elway still plans to work with Tim in the off season?
I think it's becoming hilariously clear that Elway meant something entirely different with that comment.

TheReverend
03-11-2012, 08:14 PM

Kony

Shananahan
03-11-2012, 08:15 PM
What happens then?
http://cbsdenver.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/adam-weber.jpg

"LET'S DO THIS."

spdirty
03-11-2012, 08:27 PM
The best part of all of this is the message that Elway is sending the fans: we will do whatever we can to win a championship here.

If we sign him, and it blows up in our face, I think we should all still be encouraged. Because John Elway is showing us all that he will not rest until we win that title. Its good to be a Bronco fan right now.

Miss I.
03-11-2012, 08:27 PM

No doubt. And I blame Brian griese

Requiem
03-11-2012, 08:28 PM
we blame you miss i, you bring the franchise into a blackhole

DENVERDUI55
03-11-2012, 08:29 PM
For me it's Manning becoming a Bronco. The tebowmania is going to come to an end regardless if we land #18 or not. It's more of a formality than a surprise.

Cito Pelon
03-11-2012, 08:34 PM

Nah, I think they absolutely have to justify this move by winning the SB with Manning, otherwise what was the point? Especially if they bring in a bunch of aging retreads from Indy.

Requiem
03-11-2012, 08:40 PM
I see well I am grateful for your delightful and witty reparte. It was crucial in my recent seduction of a 25 year old. ;D

well . . . i'm only 24 so your liyeng..

NFLBRONCO
03-11-2012, 08:40 PM
Nah, I think they absolutely have to justify this move by winning the SB with Manning, otherwise what was the point? Especially if they bring in a bunch of aging retreads from Indy.

After the QB we've had lately I'll take a few years of great QB play. Yeah this pressures you into winning no doubt. We have been screaming at FO to do something well this is somethiing big.

I don't see how landing a HOF QB is a failure unless he's forced to retire this season. Whether we win a SB or not its exciting to see what happens.

broncosteven
03-11-2012, 08:44 PM

FB? Safety? TE? or just a gimmick Wild Cat backup?

Requiem
03-11-2012, 08:44 PM
For me it's Manning becoming a Bronco. The tebowmania is going to come to an end regardless if we land #18 or not. It's more of a formality than a surprise.

hahahahahah yes

Miss I.
03-11-2012, 08:59 PM
If peyton does not sign this place is going to implode. Hell the whole fan base will for that matter. I like Tim but this probably is the end of him in Denver regardless of Peyton

montrose
03-11-2012, 09:18 PM
I like Tim but this probably is the end of him in Denver regardless of Peyton

I agree.

lolcopter
03-11-2012, 09:22 PM
Definitely the manning thing

Herm Edwards called this move months ago and I thought he was insane at the time

BroncoBeavis
03-11-2012, 09:31 PM
If peyton does not sign this place is going to implode. Hell the whole fan base will for that matter. I like Tim but this probably is the end of him in Denver regardless of Peyton

Nah. If they don't sign Peyton, they can't touch Tebow. Complete fan revolt otherwise.

Tebow will be pissed, but he thinks enough of the fans that he wouldn't hold out or anything. But we'd have the most dysfunctional franchise in sports.

Drunken.Broncoholic
03-11-2012, 09:38 PM
Poll says 'in Denver'.

My post says "around town". I wasn't portraying that town to be Carmel. Like I said there will be a lot of jags jerseys around Denver.

Drunken.Broncoholic
03-11-2012, 09:39 PM
Nah. If they don't sign Peyton, they can't touch Tebow. Complete fan revolt otherwise.

Tebow will be pissed, but he thinks enough of the fans that he wouldn't hold out or anything. But we'd have the most dysfunctional franchise in sports.

How does a QB who needs a ton of improvement hold out?

Miss I.
03-11-2012, 09:46 PM

well, how does a hot QB with tons of hot chicks throwing themselves at him, hold out? I am going with Divine Intervention on his behalf. ;D

errand
03-11-2012, 10:30 PM
Manning for sure. Suddenly a Top 10 All-Time QB - arguably the best passer ever (not named Steve Young) - a Bronco.

Just saw his 35 fourth quarter comebacks, 46 game-winning drives, does John have that many?

John had 48 or 49 game winning 4th qtr/ot drives if memory serves me right. He didn't have too many his last 3 seasons as Broncos generally dominated from opening kick-off and rarely trailed. In fact I think in 1998, Broncos in first 12-13 games, trailed all of 8-9 minutes combined

BroncoBeavis
03-11-2012, 10:32 PM

If Elway ****s this up, Tebow will have him by the PR nuts.

Crushaholic
03-11-2012, 10:35 PM
If Tebow and Manning are on the same team, ESPN might have to change their name to B(roncos)SPN...

errand
03-11-2012, 10:38 PM
If Elway ****s this up, Tebow will have him by the PR nuts.

I doubt that......way more Broncos fans than nuthuggers.

Broncos fans know John is trying to make us relevant in the NFL again.....Nuthuggers just think he has it in for Tebow. If Tebow is moved, those that worship will (hopefully) move on as well and annoy Jaguars fans.

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
03-12-2012, 12:14 AM
if manning is the qb nothing less than a Superbowl win will be good enough then again i always want a Superbowl win .
especially if the qb is a hof QB like manning

ol#7
03-12-2012, 03:02 AM
I doubt that......way more Broncos fans than nuthuggers.

Broncos fans know John is trying to make us relevant in the NFL again.....Nuthuggers just think he has it in for Tebow. If Tebow is moved, those that worship will (hopefully) move on as well and annoy Jaguars fans.

I thought winning in the playoffs last year already made us relevant again.

Still not sure why so many Bronco fans are upset that we have the most popular player in sports on our team.

Shananahan
03-12-2012, 03:40 AM
I thought winning in the playoffs last year already made us relevant again.

Still not sure why so many Bronco fans are upset that we have the most popular player in sports on our team.
Yeah relevant was a horrible choice there.

Tebow is a cult/icon by himself.

Crushaholic
03-12-2012, 08:38 AM
Tebowmania was most likely going to end, soon, anyway. There was never that FULL confidence. If it wasn't Manning, it would have been someone else...

Kaylore
03-12-2012, 08:55 AM
I think it would be easier to see Tebow not working out than see Manning playing for any other team.