PDA

View Full Version : Weighing the Manning Options

Swedish Extrovert
03-10-2012, 10:31 PM
Was about to post this in a thread, but I researched some good information, so here you go with a brand spanking new thread.

At first, I figured it was just Elway and Fox doing their due diligence. That said, I'd say we have about a 65 percent chance of landing him.

NFL Network has us listed as the favorites:
http://www.nfl.com/freeagency/story/09000d5d8277880b/article/peyton-manning-stock-watch-whos-the-favorite-right-now?module=HP11_hot_topics

Denver has more cap room than any of the teams he's considering (Jets, Texans both pretty tight), we're in the AFC, unlike the Cards.

Skins traded for RGII and Jets locked up Sanchez, so they're out of the mix.

Texans are at about $3 million under the cap, before signing their own free agents, meaning they would have to do quite a bit of roster jumbling to get Manning.

Cards are in the same boat as the Texans, except they're in the NFC and not currently a playoff contender.... so lets look at the teams one by one:

I put cap room in bold because it could be a deal breaker... if a team does not have enough to sign Manning, then they have to gut the team, meaning the team is actually further away in creating a championship-caliber team. I think the magic number for Peyton is going to be about $16million - $20million a year, meaning the team better be well under that to sign Peyton and upgrade their roster.

Broncos (appx. 50 million cap room)
Pro - The Broncos are in the AFC
Pro - The Broncos are currently a playoff contender
Pro - The Broncos have enough money to sign him and his cronies
Con - The Broncos don't play in a dome
Con - Publicity - deal with Tebow somehow, "substance violations" (hardly worth mentioning the latter)

Cardinals (appx. $12 million cap room) -
Pro - The cards are in a dome
Pro - Manning to Fitz is a wet dream
Con - In the NFC
Con - Not currently a playoff contender
Con - Not a whole lot of cap room (would need a roster shakeup)

Dolphins (appx. $16 million cap room) -
Pro - They are in warm weather
Pro - in the AFC
Con - Not currently a playoff contender
Con - Not a whole lot of cap room
Con - Would have to face Jets and Pats twice a year
Con - Miami dealing with a new coach

Chiefs (appx. $60 million cap room) -
Pro - In AFC
Pro - Currently a playoff contender
Pro - Plenty of camp room
Con - Cassel with a huge contract through 2014
Con - KC is one of the crappiest places to live in the country
Con - KC dealing with a new coach

Texans (appx. $3 million cap room) -
Pro - In AFC, same division no less
Pro - In dome
Con - QB not a huge need for Texans
Con - No cap room to speak of, and signing Manning would deplete other parts of the roster
(They'll have to shake up the roster just to retain Foster and Williams)

Titans, Seahawks and Cowboys are currently dark horses

spdirty
03-10-2012, 10:35 PM
Why would the Cowboys be a darkhorse? They already said they aren't interested and besides, play in the NFC East, where Manning absolutely will not play in.

Swedish Extrovert
03-10-2012, 10:38 PM
Why would the Cowboys be a darkhorse? They already said they aren't interested and besides, play in the NFC East, where Manning absolutely will not play in.

That's why I didn't research them at all. Same for the 'skins and the Jets.

I do think that Tennessee is a possibility, though. Seattle could be dangerous with him. They both have the money to do it, too.

Of all the teams he COULD sign with, I think he could help the Broncos the most, and seeing as how most of them are around .500 (with the exception of the Texans, who would have to bastardize their roster to sign Manning), I think the Broncos could be the most dangerous of all his options.

Like the NFLN said, "With a power run game and improving defense, this makes sense." This fixes the Broncos biggest weakness with one fell swoop, and we still have money left over to make the defense and receiving corps even better.

Swedish Extrovert
03-10-2012, 10:43 PM
Also, Manning wants to sign before Tuesday... seeing as how he spent a day and a half in Denver, there is no way he'll be able to visit all the aforementioned places and make a timely decision.

Swedish Extrovert
03-10-2012, 10:44 PM
All I'm arguing is that, weighing the options, the Broncos are the best fit for Manning, therefore, I think that we are the frontrunners.

spdirty
03-10-2012, 10:53 PM
All I'm arguing is that, weighing the options, the Broncos are the best fit for Manning, therefore, I think that we are the frontrunners.

Pretty amazing especially since Wednesday I thought we had absolutely no shot. Was just thinking of the cons rather than the pros. And add to that the fact that we will have the money to spend our way out of these holes we have, and adding manning means that "cheap pat" will officially be a thing of the past, I am loving our chances right now.

The mane is really gonna be a hoot if we get Manning.

KipCorrington25
03-10-2012, 11:10 PM
Chiefs

Pro- Easy to score meth outside the stadium... or anywhere in a 100 mile radius.

errand
03-10-2012, 11:35 PM
Heads are gonna explode big time..

Taco John
03-10-2012, 11:42 PM
I will be surprised if we don't get him at this point. I think Peyton is out to enjoy the experience of being wined and dined, and sure - he's keeping his options open. But at the end of the day, I think the cap room and flexibility we'll give him to come in and help us build a team around him is going to be enticing. I think we've got a lot going for us that other teams just don't have the ability to provide.

robbieopperude
03-11-2012, 12:26 AM
I still think Miami lands him with us finishing second. But I think our chances are growing each day.

Cito Pelon
03-11-2012, 12:44 AM
I haven't seen any mention of a Seattle visit, so it has to be MIA, DEN, or ARZ. DEN I think would be the "winner" because of Elway as a guy Manning can relate to and figures he can trust him as a partner. Not that I agree with that partnership at all.

ShutDownPoster
03-11-2012, 01:20 AM
Crazy effing weekend! So, how long did Young sit behind a HOF'er until he carved his own HOF career? - Just sayin'!!

MacGruder
03-11-2012, 03:04 AM
Crazy effing weekend! So, how long did Young sit behind a HOF'er until he carved his own HOF career? - Just sayin'!!

I really don't think it matters.. there is a reason Peytons neck got hurt in the first place Tebow likely won't have to wait long..

55CrushEm
03-11-2012, 06:20 AM
I will be surprised if we don't get him at this point. I think Peyton is out to enjoy the experience of being wined and dined, and sure - he's keeping his options open. But at the end of the day, I think the cap room and flexibility we'll give him to come in and help us build a team around him is going to be enticing. I think we've got a lot going for us that other teams just don't have the ability to provide.

While I WANT the Tebow experiment to work out.....I can't say I'd be totally disappointed if we landed Manning.....with the preference of Tebow staying and learning from him (althought it sounds like they'll unload him).

I'm still skeptical of the health, and I still fail to see how/why teams would "build a team around" a guy who's in the twilight of his career, and will likely be out of the league in 2 years.

But, as always.....I'll remain OPTIMISTIC (not necessarily HOPEFUL) about any moves the FO makes.

barryr
03-11-2012, 06:38 AM
It will be interesting to see if the Broncos do sign Manning, how many other changes they make to the roster. They really think this team was really great and just needed a better QB or the roster really does need help in quite a few areas?

elsid13
03-11-2012, 06:43 AM
I really do think it comes down to Denver and Miami. Every other team has issue that are to big to overcome. In Madden type world Denver would rather sign Manning to cap friendly deal with incentives and go big after Mario Williams and Paul Soliai (DT). Then round up the FA class with Dallas Clark and Saturday.

Dedhed
03-11-2012, 06:53 AM
While I WANT the Tebow experiment to work out.....I can't say I'd be totally disappointed if we landed Manning.....with the preference of Tebow staying and learning from him (althought it sounds like they'll unload him).

I'm still skeptical of the health, and I still fail to see how/why teams would "build a team around" a guy who's in the twilight of his career, and will likely be out of the league in 2 years.

But, as always.....I'll remain OPTIMISTIC (not necessarily HOPEFUL) about any moves the FO makes.I have similar feelings about the situation. I hope that if Manning comes here we still take a balanced approach to building the rest of the team from the ground up so that when Manning is gone in a few years we're not dead in the water with a ton of older high priced guys.

That was the Shanny approach, trying to patch the ship every year instead of building through the draft and development of young guys.

Dukes
03-11-2012, 07:25 AM
I'm wondering if having a new coach will matter to Manning at all. I mean, he's going to put his own offense in place, and he's good enough to completely turn a crap team around that I'm not sure that's a real Con for Miami. I hope I'm wrong. We certainly give him a better chance to win than any other team that's interested.

titan
03-11-2012, 07:30 AM
How did we get so much cap room?

KevinJames
03-11-2012, 07:36 AM

Xanders The God

elsid13
03-11-2012, 07:36 AM

Lot of expiring contracts and luck.

Agamemnon
03-11-2012, 07:41 AM
Lot of expiring contracts and luck.

Not spending money on big name players for many, many years is luck? ::)

BroncoBeavis
03-11-2012, 07:43 AM

Tebow takes a 1-4 team to the playoffs and suddenly everyone acts like the talent on this roster is world class.

KevinJames
03-11-2012, 07:43 AM

More like smart.

Tebow takes a 1-4 team to the playoffs and suddenly everyone acts like the talent on this roster is world class.

Yup Tebow did it all by himself!!!LOL

Kid A
03-11-2012, 07:44 AM
I'm wondering if having a new coach will matter to Manning at all. I mean, he's going to put his own offense in place, and he's good enough to completely turn a crap team around that I'm not sure that's a real Con for Miami. I hope I'm wrong. We certainly give him a better chance to win than any other team that's interested.

It was mentioned by Mike Florio (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/10/manning-is-making-it-up-as-he-goes/) that the entire idea of being a FA is so foreign to Manning that "it will be critical for the various suitors to establish with Peyton a real connection that will allow him to believe itís the right move, wherever he ends up moving."

So I think more than how long a coach/FO has been around it will be his gut reaction to how comfortable he will be signing over the rest of his career to them. Given:

1) the unlikelihood that he visits any other team as long as he did Denver

2) our FO is being run by a fellow-HOF QB who played not that long ago and is willing to give him anything he wants

3) our owner is committed to giving him any $ he wants but also isn't known as a douche-bag who needs attention or has to worry about upping ticket sales every couple years

4) our head coach is defensive minded, very laid back (remember a certain Tony Dungy?)

...I can see him feeling pretty good about the situation he'd have. Now, I'm a home of course and other teams will no doubt make an effort to be impressive and friendly too, but it does feel like we've got the lead coming around the turn.

Agamemnon
03-11-2012, 07:49 AM
More like smart.

Yup Tebow did it all by himself!!!LOL

Over two seasons we went 4-14 without him on the field and 9-7 with him on the field. I'm still waiting for someone to come up with a rebuttal to this fact...

elsid13
03-11-2012, 07:49 AM

Denver (McDaniels) spent money on FA (Dawkins,Orton, Le Ron Smith, etc), but those deals are nearing end or they were cut.

That why were lucky.

Agamemnon
03-11-2012, 07:54 AM
Denver (McDaniels) spent money on FA (Dawkins,Orton, Le Ron Smith, etc), but those deals are nearing end or they were cut.

That why were lucky.

Not a single one of those deals is a big name player. I mean Dawkins is well known, but he was seen as being on his last legs when we signed him. We haven't signed any big free agents in years. That is why we have so much cap space. Luck has nothing to do with it.

elsid13
03-11-2012, 07:57 AM
Not a single one of those deals is a big name player. I mean Dawkins is well known, but he was seen as being on his last legs when we signed him. We haven't signed any big free agents in years. That is why we have so much cap space. Luck has nothing to do with it.

McDaniels overpaid for those guys, remember Jarvis Green. Just because they weren't big name FA, doesn't mean we didn't pay top FA dollars.

Que
03-11-2012, 08:02 AM
Do not forget the equine connection.

Drek
03-11-2012, 08:13 AM
McDaniels overpaid for those guys, remember Jarvis Green. Just because they weren't big name FA, doesn't mean we didn't pay top FA dollars.

He also cleared out all of the previous cap **** we had hanging over from Shanahan and front loaded all the deals he did sign to minimize the long term cap hit.

This team really is the best fit for Manning and this could be a fantastic organizational move. But only if the FO pulls their heads out of their asses with regards to the young, high upside QB already on our roster. If they would've treated Tebow with some respect and honesty here they probably could have done a real good job convincing him that riding shotgun to Manning for a couple seasons at the most was an excellent opportunity for him to grow and for the team to be fully realized when he does take over.

As it stands now we'll likely dump Tebow for pennies on the dollar and then what do we do if Manning's arm is shot, he gets hurt again, or in the best case scenario, when he retires in two or three years?

Back to the drawing board I guess. But it doesn't have to be that if they bring Tebow into the fold and treat him as an equal. Then we could have an awesome road map at he QB position for the next 10+ years with healthy injury protection to cover our asses.

Agamemnon
03-11-2012, 08:16 AM
He also cleared out all of the previous cap **** we had hanging over from Shanahan and front loaded all the deals he did sign to minimize the long term cap hit.

This team really is the best fit for Manning and this could be a fantastic organizational move. But only if the FO pulls their heads out of their asses with regards to the young, high upside QB already on our roster. If they would've treated Tebow with some respect and honesty here they probably could have done a real good job convincing him that riding shotgun to Manning for a couple seasons at the most was an excellent opportunity for him to grow and for the team to be fully realized when he does take over.

As it stands now we'll likely dump Tebow for pennies on the dollar and then what do we do if Manning's arm is shot, he gets hurt again, or in the best case scenario, when he retires in two or three years?

Back to the drawing board I guess. But it doesn't have to be that if they bring Tebow into the fold and treat him as an equal. Then we could have an awesome road map at he QB position for the next 10+ years with healthy injury protection to cover our asses.

I don't really think the team's relationship with Tebow is repairable at this point, but maybe I'm wrong...

bendog
03-11-2012, 08:19 AM
Well if it is, we won't have to see your posts.

Rohirrim
03-11-2012, 08:22 AM

I agree. I also think a big part of the deal will be Helton. Put yourself in Manning's place. You can come to a team that fits all your criteria, to a region that offers considerably more entertainment (Rocky Mountains anyone?) than Indy did and one of your best friends is playing at a beautiful baseball field where you can hang out on summer evenings after practice, watching games, munching hot dogs, drinking beers while the sun goes down over the Rockies?

Steve Sewell
03-11-2012, 08:42 AM
I agree. I also think a big part of the deal will be Helton. Put yourself in Manning's place. You can come to a team that fits all your criteria, to a region that offers considerably more entertainment (Rocky Mountains anyone?) than Indy did and one of your best friends is playing at a beautiful baseball field where you can hang out on summer evenings after practice, watching games, munching hot dogs, drinking beers while the sun goes down over the Rockies?

Also, apparently Stokely lives in Denver as well, and him and Peyton are best friends.

55CrushEm
03-11-2012, 08:46 AM
I have similar feelings about the situation. I hope that if Manning comes here we still take a balanced approach to building the rest of the team from the ground up so that when Manning is gone in a few years we're not dead in the water with a ton of older high priced guys.

That was the Shanny approach, trying to patch the ship every year instead of building through the draft and development of young guys.

And that's the key. At least we aren't trading any picks to get Manning. And we (obviously) have to keep hitting on our draft picks.....something Shanny rarely did, sans 2006.

CEH
03-11-2012, 08:50 AM
Also, apparently Stokely lives in Denver as well, and him and Peyton are best friends.

Brandon Stokley does live in Denver, live in my community and I coach against him in our son's flag football league. Stokley's team name is the Colts

He was also working out with Peyton this offseason

I also have a neighbor who coaches for the best Defense in the NFC.

UberBroncoMan
03-11-2012, 08:57 AM
Brandon Stokley does live in Denver, live in my community and I coach against him in our son's flag football league. Stokley's team name is the Colts

He was also working out with Peyton this offseason

I also have a neighbor who coaches for the best Defense in the NFC.

That's another thing we have going for us. A lot of his friends live in Denver and have played here. Stokely and Helton are a huge plus. He's even friends with Lynch as I recall.

barryr
03-11-2012, 09:04 AM
Unless some other things are going on with Miami, then the Broncos would be the leaders to get Manning, especially I think they have no other fall back option, so they will make whatever promises they need to get Manning and they seem to think this roster is close to being Super Bowl contending.

Miami could go after Flynn, especially since their head coach used to be the OC of the Packers, so knows him quite well.

oubronco
03-11-2012, 12:08 PM

How do we know they haven't talked to Tebow? Because some crap reporter speculated they didn't and wanted to start a shytstorm

Rohirrim
03-11-2012, 12:12 PM
I have a feeling that this Tuesday is going to be the craziest opening day of free agency in history.

ayjackson
03-11-2012, 12:17 PM
How do we know they haven't talked to Tebow? Because some crap reporter speculated they didn't and wanted to start a shytstorm

I thought Manning and Tebow had the same representation.

elsid13
03-11-2012, 12:19 PM
I thought Manning and Tebow had the same representation.

same agency, different agents.

orinjkrush
03-11-2012, 12:35 PM
so, assuming we have $45M to spend in cap, how much goes to Pay-aton? What does that leave us? Who can we buy with what we have left? Does this blow our wad for this year and the next few? does this mean we can't afford to build through the draft?

How much will Pay-aton get?

LonghornBronco
03-11-2012, 01:02 PM
Peyton 20M
Wayne 5M
Saturday 5M
Dallas Clark 5M

35M total.

Championship = Priceless

BroncoBeavis
03-11-2012, 01:06 PM
Peyton 20M
Wayne 5M
Saturday 5M
Dallas Clark 5M

35M total.

Championship = Priceless

Yeah I don't think that's ever been proven to hang 50 points on the Pats.

Broncobiv
03-11-2012, 01:24 PM
I have a feeling that this Tuesday is going to be the craziest opening day of free agency in history.

I don't know how it could compare to last year. With the lockout, there was only what, one week for the FA period? It was fast and furious!

SonOfLe-loLang
03-11-2012, 01:26 PM
Yeah I don't think that's ever been proven to hang 50 points on the Pats.

You keep speaking like offensive and defensive success are 100 percent independent of each other.

Rolandftw
03-11-2012, 01:29 PM
So, where are all the people who felt Broncos management was retarded to not spend big in free agency last year?

Agamemnon
03-11-2012, 01:34 PM
And that's the key. At least we aren't trading any picks to get Manning. And we (obviously) have to keep hitting on our draft picks.....something Shanny rarely did, sans 2006.

If we sign Manning, I'll be very surprised if we don't start trading most of our picks away to get immediate impact players for the "win now" push.

Agamemnon
03-11-2012, 01:35 PM
Peyton 20M
Wayne 5M
Saturday 5M
Dallas Clark 5M

35M total.

Championship = Priceless

That wasn't ever really good enough before, why would it change now?

Agamemnon
03-11-2012, 01:37 PM
and they seem to think this roster is close to being Super Bowl contending.

I really hope they aren't that clueless. But I fear they are...

SonOfLe-loLang
03-11-2012, 01:39 PM
If we sign Manning, I'll be very surprised if we don't start trading most of our picks away to get immediate impact players for the "win now" push.

I would be. Football is not baseball. Sample sizes are small, one player can be the tide that rises all ships. Just because it doesnt "appear" that our roster is stacked, it doesnt mean we cant be successful. 2000 (1999? whichever) Rams are the first example to jump out, but there are tons more. I think if they get Manning, their FA shopping list will get larger and more wide-eyed, but i'd be surprised if they sacrificed draft picks for the cause.

DenverBrit
03-11-2012, 01:40 PM
I don't really think the team's relationship with Tebow is repairable at this point, but maybe I'm wrong...

You think bringing in a QB who has more skills than Tebow has damaged the relationship??

The FO has been up front from the beginning about bringing in QBs.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-11-2012, 01:41 PM
You think bringing in a QB who has more skills than Tebow has damaged the relationship??

The FO has been up front from the beginning about bringing in QBs.

Not really. They said Tim earned the right to be the starter next TC. Clearly, he wouldnt be if PM comes.

DenverBrit
03-11-2012, 01:44 PM
Not really. They said Tim earned the right to be the starter next TC. Clearly, he wouldnt be if PM comes.

Manning wasn't on the radar when they made that comment.

The FO have gone out and made a bid for the best available QB in FA, which is exactly what we fans should want.

ol#7
03-11-2012, 01:51 PM
Manning wasn't on the radar when they made that comment.

The FO have gone out and made a bid for the best available QB in FA, which is exactly what we fans should want.

Come on, you know that is not what was meant when they said that, and at the time it could be assumed PM was going to be available.

This only makes sense if the roster is close...I know I never felt that way, but the AFC is in a downward spiral so who knows...maybe it works.

broncolife
03-11-2012, 01:57 PM

not saying I want these players but just because you dont win it all with a team doesnt mean you cant do it another year with the same team. I pretty sure our team that lost to the jags in the playoffs could have beat the patriots that season and won some other super bowl games.

DenverBrit
03-11-2012, 02:04 PM
Come on, you know that is not what was meant when they said that, and at the time it could be assumed PM was going to be available.

This only makes sense if the roster is close...I know I never felt that way, but the AFC is in a downward spiral so who knows...maybe it works.

Are you saying the FO merely paid lip service to Tebow starting in TC while planning to recruit Manning?

eddie mac
03-11-2012, 02:11 PM
The Chiefs have nowhere near $60m in caproom, try 1/2 that including their rollover.

Agamemnon
03-11-2012, 02:35 PM
Are you saying the FO merely paid lip service to Tebow starting in TC while planning to recruit Manning?

I think it's becoming pretty clear they paid lip service to Tebow and the fans while planning to replace him. I think that's rather obvious.

Rother8
03-11-2012, 02:35 PM

Defense. Btw-
Wayne,
Thomas,
Decker

Clark,
Orange Julius

McGahee/Martin or draft pick etc.

With Peyton Manning throwing them the ball- damn, son.

Agamemnon
03-11-2012, 03:18 PM
Defense. Btw-
Wayne,
Thomas,
Decker

Clark,
Orange Julius

McGahee/Martin or draft pick etc.

With Peyton Manning throwing them the ball- damn, son.

Meh.

DenverBrit
03-11-2012, 03:35 PM
I think it's becoming pretty clear they paid lip service to Tebow and the fans while planning to replace him. I think that's rather obvious.

Other than PM, who would that replacement be??

Agamemnon
03-11-2012, 03:40 PM
Other than PM, who would that replacement be??

Whoever they can find would be my guess. Hope I'm wrong, but it seems to me that they really want the Tebow era over before it's even begun.