PDA

View Full Version : Jaworski out!

Archer81
02-15-2012, 12:42 PM
Ron Jaworski Gets Booted From The Monday Night Football Booth. THIS GUY IS HAPPY!

Have you ever dreamed of what the Monday Night Football Booth might sound like without Ron Jaworski and Jon Gruden egging each other on reach to new and disturbing levels of sycophantic guffawing? I have. Oh, how I've dreamed of a sensibly assembled two-man MNF booth featuring Mike Tirico b****ing out the refs alongside QB Camp Gruden instead of Idiot Gruden. And now, at long last ... that dream has come to pass! In a rare convergence of political maneuvering and common sense, the ENTERTAINMENT SPORTS PROGRAMMING NETWORK has kicked Jaws out of the MNF booth. Leave it to ESPN to phrase a demotion as a "new, expanded, multiplatform role":

http://deadspin.com/5885372/ron-jaworski-gets-booted-from-the-mnf-booth-this-guy-is-happy

:Broncos:

Pick Six
02-15-2012, 12:49 PM
Ron Jaworski Gets Booted From The Monday Night Football Booth. THIS GUY IS HAPPY!

Have you ever dreamed of what the Monday Night Football Booth might sound like without Ron Jaworski and Jon Gruden egging each other on reach to new and disturbing levels of sycophantic guffawing? I have. Oh, how I've dreamed of a sensibly assembled two-man MNF booth featuring Mike Tirico b****ing out the refs alongside QB Camp Gruden instead of Idiot Gruden. And now, at long last ... that dream has come to pass! In a rare convergence of political maneuvering and common sense, the ENTERTAINMENT SPORTS PROGRAMMING NETWORK has kicked Jaws out of the MNF booth. Leave it to ESPN to phrase a demotion as a "new, expanded, multiplatform role":

http://deadspin.com/5885372/ron-jaworski-gets-booted-from-the-mnf-booth-this-guy-is-happy

Is this writer 12? I can absolutely imagine Monday Night Football without Jaws and Gruden. In fact, MNF has never been the same, after Al Michaels...

OBF1
02-15-2012, 01:05 PM
Drop the question mark from the title, He IS out.

Pony Boy
02-15-2012, 01:07 PM
My Jaws just dropped

Chris
02-15-2012, 01:18 PM
http://blogs.amctv.com/movie-blog/JAWS%20PIC.jpg

BroncoInferno
02-15-2012, 01:26 PM
Honestly, I prefer Jaws to Gruden. Gruden is the NFL's version of Dick Vitale. He rarely issues more than tepid criticism towards anyone. Everyone can (to use Vitale's vocabulary) "flat out play" or "flat out coach."

Smiling Assassin27
02-15-2012, 01:42 PM
We need this guy back:

<div style="background-color:#000000;width:520px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><iframe src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/embed/mgid:cms:video:thedailyshow.com:124753" width="512" height="288" frameborder="0"></iframe><p style="text-align:left;background-color:#FFFFFF;padding:4px;margin-top:4px;margin-bottom:0px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;"><b><a href="http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-26-2000/moment-of-zen---monday-night-football">The Daily Show with Jon Stewart</a></b><br/>Get More: <a href='http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/'>Daily Show Full Episodes</a>,<a href='http://www.indecisionforever.com/'>Political Humor & Satire Blog</a>,<a href='http://www.facebook.com/thedailyshow'>The Daily Show on Facebook</a></p></div></div>

SleepingTiger
02-15-2012, 01:46 PM
Honestly, I prefer Jaws to Gruden. Gruden is the NFL's version of Dick Vitale. He rarely issues more than tepid criticism towards anyone. Everyone can (to use Vitale's vocabulary) "flat out play" or "flat out coach."

when i heard they hired Gruden, i was exited because they hired someone who knows the game of football. Instead of Gruden the coach, we got Gruden the "that guy is a football player" ass kissing bore. After watching the game, you would think both teams were filled with all stars and MVPs.

BroncoBeavis
02-15-2012, 01:50 PM
when i heard they hired Gruden, i was exited because they hired someone who knows the game of football. Instead of Gruden the coach, we got Gruden the "that guy is a football player" ass kissing bore. After watching the game, you would think both teams were filled with all stars and MVPs.

I think part of this is that coaches tend to be positive thinkers. I think ex-players who announce probably focus more on the analysis. Analysis is part of a coach's job obviously, but another big part of it is motivation. And I think it's difficult for a lot of coaches to set that part aside when they watch football.

WolfpackGuy
02-15-2012, 01:53 PM
Must be why I saw him on a Peanut Chews commercial recently.

Kaylore
02-15-2012, 02:21 PM
I think Jaws is a really good person. I think his pretend enthusiasm is really old. The worst is when he and Hoge do their version of a really watered-down NFL playbook and they start growling and grunting at each other when explaining anything. It's hard to listen to.

Taco John
02-15-2012, 02:57 PM
I like Jaws and I especially love his playbook analysis. He annoyed me, however, when he jumped on Trent Green's jock at KC during the Dick Vermiel era, and I haven't enjoyed his analysis as much as I did before that because it bugged me how biased he was towards Trent Green due to his love of Vermiel.

bendog
02-15-2012, 03:01 PM
Yeah, a few years back Jaws was sort of refreshing in that he was giving a bit of what Madden used to do only with less ... arm waiving. But, he got lazy.

NFLBRONCO
02-15-2012, 03:27 PM
maybe they bring back Dennis Miller

Tombstone RJ
02-15-2012, 03:35 PM

Gruden is just trying to be this generations Madden. He's got the coaching credentials and now he gets to dumb down the game for everyone.

I can't believe peeps don't realize his stupid angle.

broncocalijohn
02-15-2012, 04:33 PM
I think Jaws is a really good person. I think his pretend enthusiasm is really old. The worst is when he and Hoge do their version of a really watered-down NFL playbook and they start growling and grunting at each other when explaining anything. It's hard to listen to.

I think he was great when he was with HBO doing the same thing. I felt it helped understand some plays to the average football fan.

Shananahan
02-15-2012, 04:40 PM
I don't think I'll miss Jaworski at all, but he annoyed me much, much less than Gruden. I felt genuinely sorry for Mike Tirico on multiple occasions last season.

Jay3
02-15-2012, 05:29 PM
Uh-oh. Why do I think Tebow placed a call and got him fired? He should have got with the program like Gruden.

Tombstone RJ
02-15-2012, 05:41 PM
I think Jaworski has been at ESPN way too long and it's affected his ability to analyze the game. When he first started out as an analyst, he was good. Now, he's more annoying than anything else.

extralife
02-15-2012, 06:30 PM
this is good mainly because Jaworski is actually good at all the things he stopped doing when he went in the booth. which he can now do again. and yes, Jaws and Gruden going at it was ****ing insufferable.

BroncoDoug
02-15-2012, 07:19 PM
I say bring him in for a look, he has to be better than that Tebow guy

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
02-15-2012, 08:48 PM
anytime ESPN gets ahold of nfl football on primetime it turns to crap.
remember when the best teams played on MNF when it was on ABC and the announcers were like AAA quality.
and sunday night football was like ok but the announcers were mostly crap and they was like grade c class now NBC has the best games and ESPN just has whatever crappy to good team. whatever luck of the draw game they got . just saying .
long story short ESPN is a bit crappy NBC is the best

Shananahan
02-15-2012, 08:51 PM
That's a lot of class knowledge for someone who doesn't seem to have ever attended one.

Jay3
02-15-2012, 08:52 PM
anytime ESPN gets ahold of nfl football on primetime it turns to crap.
remember when the best teams played on MNF when it was on ABC and the announcers were like AAA quality.
and sunday night football was like ok but the announcers were mostly crap and they was like grade c class now NBC has the best games and ESPN just has whatever crappy to good team. whatever luck of the draw game they got . just saying .
long story short ESPN is a bit crappy NBC is the best

There's a very specific set of reasons for that, if you read the ESPN book. Shapiro negotiated that deal, and got royally screwed by the NFL. ESPN wouldn't pay a reasonable price for the whole package (Sunday and Monday), so NFL went off and screwed them.

NBC's deal is much more valuable, and NBC gets first pick of the games.

ESPN not only doesn't get second pick, they don't get any pick. The NFL dictates the games to them, and trolls them.

In my opinion, this is bad for football. NFL needs to grow up and put one of the week's best games on Monday.

Shananahan
02-15-2012, 08:55 PM
There's a very specific set of reasons for that, if you read the ESPN book. Shapiro negotiated that deal, and got royally screwed by the NFL. ESPN wouldn't pay a reasonable price for the whole package (Sunday and Monday), so NFL went off and screwed them.

ESPN not only doesn't get second pick, they don't get any pick. The NFL dictates the games to them, and trolls them.
You really think this is the reason? I just figured that ESPN only cares the minimal amount about the quality of the broadcast because they know people are going to watch it either way. I mean, it's not like they put any sort of impressive effort into most of the other stuff they produce outside of the 30 for 30 series.

I'd guess Jaws was shown the door due to friction between he and Gruden or something.

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
02-15-2012, 08:59 PM

In my opinion, this is bad for football. NFL needs to grow up and put one of the week's best games on Monday.
i never knew that thanks for telling me but why are the announcers sorta flat and boring more times than not and they also got a bad habit of going off track it seems like like some celebrity shows up and they must go to that celebrity when the game is still going on not a blow out and yak it up with said celebrity . or go on some tangent about other stuff. some reason the announcers just seem to be very average.
like the type of announcers you get when your team has no popular stars on it and the team is like crap bottom of the barrel type

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
02-15-2012, 09:02 PM
they need to have NBC do Monday night football it seems to be a better quality and its like the best class teams are always playing and let ESPN do Sunday night.

Jay3
02-15-2012, 09:12 PM
You really think this is the reason? I just figured that ESPN only cares the minimal amount about the quality of the broadcast because they know people are going to watch it either way. I mean, it's not like they put any sort of impressive effort into most of the other stuff they produce outside of the 30 for 30 series.

I'd guess Jaws was shown the door due to friction between he and Gruden or something.

It's described at length in the book. Shapiro wouldn't pay the asking price for the two night package (which is what it was before), so they put all the value in the Sunday Night package to get maximum dollars from NBC. The NFL bet that ESPN could not afford to lose NFL football, and would pay an extortionate price for a low-value package.

No kidding, that's the reason.

Also, Shapiro and ESPN totally botched the re-signing of Madden. They could have kept him, but they disrespected him and he signed with NBC.

Total pooch-screwing all around. My point is that the NFL shouldn't have done it -- at some point, the fans and the sport suffer if MNF sucks this bad. It's a joke.

Archer81
02-15-2012, 10:09 PM
I think the issue is ESPN. It seems the longer someone works for them, the more canned and caricature-like they get. Do not add substance, say catch phrases and act like a jabbering monkey. That's what the kids like...

Uhh...no. I am not 16 anymore. If you say boom or cool as the other side of the pillow or sound like you are eating your own tongue, I wont watch. Show me why they picked you to be on TV. Do not be a muppet.

That's my issue with ESPN.

Shananahan
02-15-2012, 11:52 PM
It's described at length in the book. Shapiro wouldn't pay the asking price for the two night package (which is what it was before), so they put all the value in the Sunday Night package to get maximum dollars from NBC. The NFL bet that ESPN could not afford to lose NFL football, and would pay an extortionate price for a low-value package.

No kidding, that's the reason.

Also, Shapiro and ESPN totally botched the re-signing of Madden. They could have kept him, but they disrespected him and he signed with NBC.

Total pooch-screwing all around. My point is that the NFL shouldn't have done it -- at some point, the fans and the sport suffer if MNF sucks this bad. It's a joke.
Well yeah, but none of this has anything to do with who ESPN hires to announce their games.

broncocalijohn
02-16-2012, 01:42 AM
I say bring him in for a look, he has to be better than that Tebow guy

But can he pass for 2k in our system?

kappys
02-16-2012, 05:20 AM

This doesn't explain to me why ESPN has the worst viewing angles of any of the broadcasters. They seem to pride themselves in zooming in so much on the QB that you can't even get a glimpse at the offensive and defensive allignments or choosing bizarre diagonal shots that are practically worthless.