PDA

View Full Version : AFC West salary-cap numbers - Look Who's 22 Million Over...

Bronco Rob
02-14-2012, 06:33 AM
Raiders have to dump plenty of salary

Posted by Mike Florio on February 28, 2012, 11:28 PM EST

In two weeks, each team must be in compliance with the 2012 salary cap, whatever that number may be. In the offseason, cap compliance is based on the cap numbers of the 51 highest-paid players on the roster.

The Raiders may have to dump more than a few of their top 51 in order to get under the cap.

Based on the “top 51″ report for each team as of February 28, a copy of which PFT has obtained, the Raiders stand at $145.7 million. That’s more than $16 million more than the next team, the Giants.

The full list can be seen here.

If the 2012 cap lands at $120 million and based on the availability of $3.23 million in 2011 cap space that can be carried over, the Raiders still must clear more than $22 million in the next two weeks.

At the other end of the spectrum are the Bengals, who have only $83.5 million in commitments for 2012. The Buccaneers, Titans, Redskins, and Broncos also are under $100 mill

Raiders: $145.7 million.

Giants: $129.1 million.

Panthers: $128.5 million.

Cowboys: $124.3 million.

Lions: $123.0 million.

Jets: $120.9 million.

Packers: $120.7 million.

Steelers: $120.5 million.

Texans: $118.9 million.

Rams: $118.0 million.

Cardinals: $117.7 million.

Ravens: $116.3 million.

Vikings: $116.0 million.

Eagles: $112.8 million.

Chargers: $112.8 million.

Dolphins: $112.7 million.

Seahawks: $110.0 million.

Saints: $109.6 million.

Chiefs: $108.9 million.

Colts: $107.5 million.

Jaguars: $107.3 million.

49ers: $105.9 million.

Bills: $104.7 million.

Browns: $103.4 million.

Patriots: $102.6 million.

Bears: $101.9 million.

Falcons: $101.5 million.

Broncos: $98.7 million.

Titans: $94.5 million.

Redskins: $93.5 million.

Buccaneers: $92.7 million.

Bengals: $83.5 million.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/28/raiders-have-to-dump-plenty-of-salary/

strafen
02-14-2012, 06:51 AM
With the ransom they paid for Palmer, there's no wonder they're over...
Plus not having a 1st round pick (as I understand) doesn't matter much, I guess...

LRtagger
02-14-2012, 06:58 AM
L0L they are going to have to purge the roster and they dont have the draft choices to replace those cuts with top prospects.

oubronco
02-14-2012, 07:01 AM
Doesn't look like Carr will be leaving KC

BroncoBen
02-14-2012, 08:37 AM
To you and me $50-60 million sounds like alot of money, but when its noted that the 'Chiefs' can keep '2' players with their $62 million, how much money is it really.

Beantown Bronco
02-14-2012, 08:54 AM
To you and me $50-60 million sounds like alot of money, but when its noted that the 'Chiefs' can keep '2' players with their $62 million, how much money is it really.

The writer certainly didn't mean that those two would take up all of that $62 million. Together, they'll probably account for $10-15 mil or so of their cap next year, at the most.

Drunken.Broncoholic
02-14-2012, 10:48 AM

theres not a player in the NFL, let alone on the chiefs that would eat up 30 million in one year...62 million is alot of room to sign whoever they want...so is 50 million...whole contracts dont go against the cap in 1 season...

Beantown Bronco
02-14-2012, 11:22 AM
theres not a player in the NFL, let alone on the chiefs that would eat up 30 million in one year

Peyton Manning's agent disagrees. :)

ColoradoDarin
02-14-2012, 11:25 AM
Signing bonuses are no longer prorated for the term of the contract. I think the entire cap hit must be taken the first year (cash outlays per year = salary cap spending). So if Carr gets a $20M signing bonus and Bowe gets a $10M one, that's half of their available cap space this year - just throwing some numbers out there. They still have plenty of room to sign other F/As.

Drunken.Broncoholic
02-14-2012, 11:35 AM
Peyton mannings contract averaged 18 million per year. I don't think there's ever been a player who's player salary(not bonus) was 30 million in one year.

Beantown Bronco
02-14-2012, 11:38 AM
Peyton mannings contract averaged 18 million per year. I don't think there's ever been a player who's player salary(not bonus) was 30 million in one year.

Now that's a different argument than you presented above.

If Peyton was healthy, the Colts clearly would've kept him and paid his bonus and, as a result, his cap hit this year would have been $30 mil.

Houshyamama
02-14-2012, 11:41 AM
I think we'll see higher salaries with lower signing bonuses.

Drunken.Broncoholic
02-14-2012, 11:42 AM
Signing bonuses are no longer prorated for the term of the contract. I think the entire cap hit must be taken the first year (cash outlays per year = salary cap spending). So if Carr gets a $20M signing bonus and Bowe gets a $10M one, that's half of their available cap space this year - just throwing some numbers out there. They still have plenty of room to sign other F/As.

I thought the 5 year rule was still in place and remained unchanged. I could be wrong.

Beantown Bronco
02-14-2012, 11:43 AM
I think we'll see higher salaries with lower signing bonuses.

Or they'll just stop using up front signing bonuses and they'll shift more towards annual roster bonuses. Agents can still say "I got him a total bonus of ___", but the teams can spread out the cap hit so it doesn't all come in year one....or avoid the hit altogether by cutting them before it's due.

Drunken.Broncoholic
02-14-2012, 11:44 AM
The bonuses helped owners get around cap space over the years of a contract. If the entire bonus counts against the cap in the first year of the contract then I agree there will be much smaller bonuses and maybe more money guaranteed.

Drunken.Broncoholic
02-14-2012, 11:46 AM
Beantown is a capologist. I think there are teams that need your services. Looks like the raiders could use your help.

LittleFloyd
02-14-2012, 12:51 PM
Pat Bowlen, you gutless drunk. Start spending the money. You said years ago you needed a new stadium to attract free agents and so give the team the $ to pay for them. Pay up, you gutless drunk!

Hercules Rockefeller
02-14-2012, 01:12 PM
I thought the 5 year rule was still in place and remained unchanged. I could be wrong.

A team's cap figure is their payroll. Nothing is amortized over the life of the contract anymore. A $10M signing bonus this offseason will count as $10M on a team's 2012 cap figure.

gunns
02-14-2012, 03:33 PM
Oakland? I'm shocked!

oubronco
02-14-2012, 03:50 PM

Which is why they more than likely won't get it, those hefty signing bonuses are probably a thing of the past

jhns
02-14-2012, 03:55 PM
I say give Tebow a $50 mil raise for winning all these games for us.

Tombstone RJ
02-14-2012, 04:08 PM
love the fact that chokeland has no picks and little to no cap space. Plus, a new HC who has never been a HC and a new GM who thinks he knows everything (only time will tell if he's good or not). Throw in Palmer and his cap hit and it all just seems faider like...

BroncoBeavis
02-14-2012, 04:33 PM

I think Bowlen could write the whole thing off to charity. What would the IRS do?

snowspot66
02-14-2012, 05:19 PM
Which is why they more than likely won't get it, those hefty signing bonuses are probably a thing of the past

I think they'll stick around but in different uses. If you have lots of cap room and a player your are confident in why not give him the money up front to keep the guy and have the cap room to work with later?

lonestar
02-14-2012, 05:26 PM
theres not a player in the NFL, let alone on the chiefs that would eat up 30 million in one year...62 million is alot of room to sign whoever they want...so is 50 million...whole contracts dont go against the cap in 1 season...

Look at Peyton schedueld for 23mil as a roster bonus on march 3 and then he makes about 15 a year..

might be a few other near his money..

lonestar
02-14-2012, 05:29 PM
Pat Bowlen, you gutless drunk. Start spending the money. You said years ago you needed a new stadium to attract free agents and so give the team the $ to pay for them. Pay up, you gutless drunk!

he did during the mikey years and what did that get you..

lonestar
02-14-2012, 05:32 PM
love the fact that chokeland has no picks and little to no cap space. Plus, a new HC who has never been a HC and a new GM who thinks he knows everything (only time will tell if he's good or not). Throw in Palmer and his cap hit and it all just seems faider like...

Well tehy atleast do not have Al calling all the shots so that in its self wil be an upgrade..

They have loads of talent from sucking the top ten draft teat for years.. now if they can leep some of it, they have no one looking over the HC shoulder each play..

cmhargrove
02-14-2012, 05:57 PM

How about a financial incentive per completed pass. 50k per completion might get us to the AFC Championship.

eddie mac
02-14-2012, 06:12 PM
A team's cap figure is their payroll. Nothing is amortized over the life of the contract anymore. A $10M signing bonus this offseason will count as $10M on a team's 2012 cap figure.

It doesn't Herc. Signing bonuses are prorated once again under the new CBA.

yerner
02-14-2012, 06:15 PM
Did Mcd actually do something well? Did he clean up the cap? I always like that guy..

eddie mac
02-14-2012, 06:17 PM

No idea where you're getting this from but the new CBA dictated that signing bonuses are once again prorated through the entirety of the contract unless it's more than 5 years and in that case only prorated over 5 years. Ty Warren received a $2.5m signing bonus in 2011, which $1.25m hit our cap in 2011 and $1.25m will hit in 2012. Champ Bailey received a one time $5m bonus which hit our cap entirely in 2011. It depends on how Denver want to dish out the money, they make the decision on whether they wish to spread the hit (by making it a signing bonus) or taking the hit now (roster bonus/other bonus). Any signing bonuses signed by our rookies in 2011 i.e Von Miller were prorated through the terms of those contracts. Dead cap money will also come into play again this season via released players with outstanding amoritised bonuses or guarantees still left on their contracts.

eddie mac
02-14-2012, 06:20 PM

The Chiefs always leave $20m-$30m on their cap, every single year.

eddie mac
02-14-2012, 06:28 PM
The terms are pretty simple. Denver has approx $23m of cap space for 2012 taking into account all players currently under contract for that year. The Broncos have until near the end of February to claim the $27.88m or so they left on the cap in 2011 and carry it into 2012 which is the final year without a salary cap floor (additional carried over cap does not count to the 89% cap floor anyway so in 2013, Denver only have to spend 89% of the cap set by the NFL regardless of the amount of carried over money in 2013).

Thus far only the Tampa Bay Bucs have claimed the 2011 money. It remains to be seen whether Denver claim the use of theirs and even if they do, they do not have to spend it and if history is anything to go by they will not be too extravagant in this offseason.

Herc is right to a point in that the Broncos use a cash cap (budget) within a cap and over the past few seasons have been paying the majority of the money upfront to players aside from rookie deals.

Drunken.Broncoholic
02-14-2012, 07:25 PM
Look at Peyton schedueld for 23mil as a roster bonus on march 3 and then he makes about 15 a year..

might be a few other near his money..

I shouldve clarified that I was only talking a players base salary, not bonuses.

Rolandftw
02-14-2012, 10:48 PM
The writer certainly didn't mean that those two would take up all of that $62 million. Together, they'll probably account for $10-15 mil or so of their cap next year, at the most.

No way it'll be that low. If Carr hits the open market, some team is going to overpay on him--probably close to $10 million a season.

Bowe is a headcase still but he is still a top ten WR imo. Those type of talents get paid big bucks as well. My guess is that it costs $18-20 million to retain both at the minimum. Carr is comparable to Flowers. And Bowe is comparable to Marshall (head case on the field, but no where near the same extent off of it). But agreed that it won't effect their cap situation too much.

Beantown Bronco
02-15-2012, 07:35 AM
No way it'll be that low. If Carr hits the open market, some team is going to overpay on him--probably close to $10 million a season.

Bowe is a headcase still but he is still a top ten WR imo. Those type of talents get paid big bucks as well. My guess is that it costs $18-20 million to retain both at the minimum. Carr is comparable to Flowers. And Bowe is comparable to Marshall (head case on the field, but no where near the same extent off of it). But agreed that it won't effect their cap situation too much.

Let's look at it this way. Your scenario means both guys get compensated like they are in the top 2-3 in the league at their respective positions. Mine obviously doesn't. Here is the hard data:

The franchise tag for CBs this year is $10.5 mil. No way Carr gets that. He is nowhere near a top 3 corner in this league.

The franchise tag for WRs this year is less than $10 mil. No way Bowe counts more than the average of the top 5 WR in the league.

LittleFloyd
02-15-2012, 07:38 AM
he did during the mikey years and what did that get you..

2 super bowl wins.

Tombstone RJ
02-15-2012, 09:16 AM
Let's look at it this way. Your scenario means both guys get compensated like they are in the top 2-3 in the league at their respective positions. Mine obviously doesn't. Here is the hard data:

The franchise tag for CBs this year is $10.5 mil. No way Carr gets that. He is nowhere near a top 3 corner in this league.

The franchise tag for WRs this year is less than $10 mil. No way Bowe counts more than the average of the top 5 WR in the league.

if pee-oh-lee had any brains at all he'd spend the money to retain both Carr and Bowe, regardless of whatever flaws they may have. If kc ever got a decent QB they'd be good. Their defense has speed and their offense has speed too. We can make fun of them all we want but they have been collecting pretty good talent for a while now. Hopefully kc will bring back Cassel for another year before they admit he was a mistake and draft another QB.

Bronco Rob
02-15-2012, 01:21 PM
How about a financial incentive per completed pass. 50k per completion might get us to the AFC Championship.

ROFL!

Rolandftw
02-15-2012, 03:25 PM

Don't think it would mean they were in the top 2-3 in the league. Neither Brandon Marshall or Brandon Flowers are in the top 2-3 in the league but they should still get combined salaries that are close to $18-20 million a year.

In this pass happy league, there is a strong shortage of true cover corners. Guy like Carr has gotten better every year in the league, has ideal size and speed for the position. Some team will overpay on him, under the expectation that he will continue to improve.

Likewise, Bowe's at least a top ten WR and there's a real shortage of those type of WR's available on the open market. You can hope to draft one but for teams that want to win now, getting a guy like Bowe is preferable to that route. Look at Santonio Holmes and Brandon Marshall's salaries.

These are players with many more legal problems off the field, that have not put up Bowe's stats in the last two seasons (2300 yards, 20 TD's). Holmes was miserable this past season and still the Jets agreed to take on his $15 million option over the next two seasons. If a guy putting up 1400 yds, 14 tds over the last 2 seasons is worth $15 million over the next two then Bowe is worth more then that being he's given KC 900 more yards and 6 more TD's in that span.

Bowe's done it with Matt freaking Cassel as well. A team that has an established QB and cap available will be more then willing to overpay on him too.

Beantown Bronco
02-16-2012, 07:25 AM
Don't think it would mean they were in the top 2-3 in the league. Neither Brandon Marshall or Brandon Flowers are in the top 2-3 in the league but they should still get combined salaries that are close to $18-20 million a year.

Flowers' contract is HEAVILY backloaded and he won't see most of it. It's 6 years, 49 mil (or 8 mil a year), but he's only making 5 mil this year and 7 mil next year.

In this pass happy league, there is a strong shortage of true cover corners. Guy like Carr has gotten better every year in the league, has ideal size and speed for the position. Some team will overpay on him, under the expectation that he will continue to improve.

Well, that's all fine and dandy, but the scenario presented above was if he stayed with the Chiefs. Not if some other stupid team came in and overpaid. If he's on the Chiefs, his cap hit this year will be closer to $6-7 mil than $10+ mil.

Likewise, Bowe's at least a top ten WR and there's a real shortage of those type of WR's available on the open market.

Disagree on both points. He's not a top 10 receiver (maybe 12-15 at best) and there are a TON of great FA WRs on the market this season (VJ, Welker, Wayne, D Jackson, Colston, Stevie Johnson, Manningham, Meachem, Mike Wallace, etc).

teknic
02-16-2012, 07:57 AM
So they might not be able to resign Michael Bush?;D

Rolandftw
02-16-2012, 11:51 AM
Well, that's all fine and dandy, but the scenario presented above was if he stayed with the Chiefs. Not if some other stupid team came in and overpaid. If he's on the Chiefs, his cap hit this year will be closer to $6-7 mil than $10+ mil.

Are you suggesting the Chiefs will cut a Pro Bowl caliber corner? And what's to stop another team from also offering a back-loaded deal? Obviously, I'm suggesting that if another team is willing to overpay, the Chiefs might be as well. Especially if the alternatives aren't as good.

Disagree on both points. He's not a top 10 receiver (maybe 12-15 at best) and there are a TON of great FA WRs on the market this season (VJ, Welker, Wayne, D Jackson, Colston, Stevie Johnson, Manningham, Meachem, Mike Wallace, etc).

Guess we disagree on what a great receiver is. Very few of those WR's have put up Bowe's numbers over the last few seasons. And Welker and Wayne are already 30+. Both probably want to play on a championship contending team I'd imagine. Not the same as getting a WR like Bowe, at least long-term. Wallace, Johnson, Colston are the only WR's in the same stratosphere (again long term). And two of those play for Drew Brees and Eli Manning respectively. Definitely inflates a players numbers more then a Matt Cassel would. All likely get franchised, if a long-term deal can't be reached. So, KC's options are few unless they are willing to part with a couple first round picks.

Beantown Bronco
02-16-2012, 12:01 PM
And two of those play for Drew Brees and Eli Manning respectively. Definitely inflates a players numbers more then a Matt Cassel would.

Cassel has one real weapon outside of Bowe. One. And he missed all of last season. THAT inflates numbers. How many top level guys are Colston and Manningham sharing workloads with?

Rolandftw
02-16-2012, 12:53 PM
Cassel has one real weapon outside of Bowe. One. And he missed all of last season. THAT inflates numbers. How many top level guys are Colston and Manningham sharing workloads with?

Breaston had 785 receiving yards last year, which was more then some of the 'top' Wr's on your list.

Beantown Bronco
02-16-2012, 02:06 PM
Breaston had 785 receiving yards last year, which was more then some of the 'top' Wr's on your list.

Damn, and that's my sole criteria for grading WRs. How on Earth did I miss him?

[sarcasm button off]

baja
02-16-2012, 02:59 PM

This is a big time win for the owners. No more players getting a big pay day and quitting ala Haynesworth

Rolandftw
02-16-2012, 03:06 PM
Damn, and that's my sole criteria for grading WRs. How on Earth did I miss him?

[sarcasm button off]

Well, you said their only other option was hurt last year. That obviously wasn't the case. Frankly, your list sucks.

Beantown Bronco
02-16-2012, 03:20 PM
Frankly, your list sucks.

LOL

This is potentially the biggest class of top FA WRs in history, yet it's somehow my list that sucks?!? I honestly don't understand your thought process.

Rolandftw
02-17-2012, 12:17 AM
LOL

This is potentially the biggest class of top FA WRs in history, yet it's somehow my list that sucks?!? I honestly don't understand your thought process.

Most of the players you listed are either not great WR's or are old (at least for a WR); the latter is unlikely to get as much in terms of guaranteed money long-term cash/signing bonus. It's a good class but not nearly as great as you make it look. It's four deep, and will probably be closer to 2 deep (with those two likely being franchised)

You could say the same for the class of CB's that could be available on the open market.

Bronco Rob
02-19-2012, 09:48 PM
Jason La Canfora was on the NFL network on friday and said that oakland was actually 20 million over the cap.

:thumbs:

lonestar
02-19-2012, 09:53 PM
2 super bowl wins.

Yep and m,ikey did nothing since. once John retired so did Mikey's mojo.

But your correct Pats spending bought two rings while John still had something in the tank.

Let me add the hundreds of millions mikey wasted after those two rings were just that wasted money. Always at the cap or above with having to waste even more by giving existing players upfront money that was prorated over the life of the new contract.

Ugly Duck
02-20-2012, 01:34 AM
There's a buncha Raider players that have to restructure or go. Kameron Wimbley has refused to restructure so he's most likely out (is due $11 mil if he stays). Oakland has to cut him just to get under the cap. Palmer & Seymour have agreed to restructure their massive deals, but even with that they may have to cut Tommy Kelly ($6 mil) & John Henderson ($4 mil) to have any room to maneuver in FA.

boltaneer
02-20-2012, 12:59 PM
The Raiders are in trouble if they have to cut Wimbley and Kelly (as overpaid as he is).

Requiem
02-20-2012, 01:00 PM
Tommy Kelly is a hero.

SoCalBronco
02-20-2012, 01:33 PM
Tommy Kelly would be a big loss for them, IMO.

Br0nc0Buster
02-20-2012, 05:33 PM
I would love to have Wimbley, Seymoure, and Kelly off that team

Bronco Rob
02-20-2012, 09:45 PM
Don't forget they are 86ing Michael Bush in favor of Darren McFragile.

Ugly Duck
02-20-2012, 10:09 PM
Don't forget they are 86ing Michael Bush

Huh? Wha?

Bronco Rob
02-29-2012, 04:41 PM
As @ProFootballTalk alluded, Raiders are currently $20,344,178 over 2012 salary cap. Some major trimming to do.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/28/raiders-have-to-dump-plenty-of-salary/

Hilarious!

Ronnie Tsunami
02-29-2012, 04:49 PM
Matea forte zikinak nahi dut broncos da. Ordaindu zion dirua kaka bat tona.

Bronco Rob
02-29-2012, 04:51 PM
If the 2012 cap lands at $120 million and based on the availability of $3.23 million in 2011 cap space that can be carried over, the Raiders still must clear more than $22 million in the next two weeks.

At the other end of the spectrum are the Bengals, who have only $83.5 million in commitments for 2012. The Buccaneers, Titans, Redskins, and Broncos also are under $100 million.

canadianbroncosfan
02-29-2012, 06:04 PM
Tommy Kelly would be a big loss for them, IMO.

Agreed. I however would welcome his departure from the Faiders.

Beantown Bronco
03-01-2012, 06:19 AM
Raiders are currently $20,344,178 over 2012 salary cap. Some major trimming to do.

Hilarious!

If it's trim they need, they should probably hang out with Tebow.

Bronco Rob
03-06-2012, 12:02 AM
Breaking down the NFL’s most likely cap casualties

Posted by Evan Silva on March 5, 2012, 8:27 PM EST

Due to large forthcoming bonus payments and/or base salaries, the following ten players could be joining them in free agency soon.

1. Colts quarterback Peyton Manning — You already know. Manning is owed a $28 million roster bonus on Thursday, March 8, and the Colts would shock the world if they paid it.

2. Raiders linebacker Kamerion Wimbley — As Mike Florio has explained, the Raiders must decide Wimbley’s fate prior to March 17. If released, Wimbley can expect hot pursuit from teams in need of a versatile, productive pass rusher.

3. Cardinals tackle Levi Brown — Arizona wants to re-sign Brown to a long-term extension, but he’s fully expected to be released before his $6 million roster bonus comes due on March 12. The sides can resume talks after that.

4. Chargers tackle Marcus McNeill — San Diego is actively working to re-sign free agent Jared Gaither because it knows McNeill will be released in short order. The move will clear $10 million in salary cap space.

5. Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma — Likely to be a primary target as the NFL doles out bounty-scandal discipline, Vilma’s on-field performance has declined sharply and he’s no longer worth his $5.4 million base salary.

6. Jaguars defensive end Aaron Kampman — Owed $5 million in salary and bonuses, the 32-year-old still hasn’t passed his exit physical after three separate knee surgeries since December of 2009.

7. Packers tackle Chad Clifton — Clifton is scheduled to receive a $5.25 million base salary and $203,125 in per-game roster bonuses. He turns 36 before the season and recently underwent surgery on his lower back and hip. Clifton was benched in Green Bay’s playoff loss for ineffectiveness.

8. Rams cornerback Ronald Bartell — St. Louis is expected to be active on the free agent cornerback market, and also has confirmed interest in LSU’s Morris Claiborne. Due a $6.2 million salary and coming off a fractured neck, Bartell could easily be brushed aside in favor of a younger player.

9. Vikings guard Steve Hutchinson — Hutchinson is owed $6.95 million in base pay and a $500,000 offseason workout bonus. After concussions ended his last two seasons, it’s no secret that Hutchinson is in danger of being released.

10. Cardinals linebacker Joey Porter — Porter is due a $5.75 million salary and $250,000 workout bonus in the final season of his contract. $6 million is much too large a figure for a 35-year-old pass rusher who can no longer rush the passer.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/