PDA

View Full Version : Legwold: Luck v Griffin = Manning v Leaf

Mogulseeker
02-11-2012, 10:13 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19938534

barryr
02-11-2012, 10:48 AM
Luck fits a standard conventional type of offense since he played in one for 4 years, but Griffin is no lock to make such an adjustment since he did not.

Tombstone RJ
02-11-2012, 11:00 AM
I don't even have to read the article to know the premis is wrong. Griffin is in no way like Leaf. He's not a head case, he's smart and motivated. He's not going to flake out like Leaf. Stupid comparison IMHO.

doonwise
02-11-2012, 11:01 AM
I love seeing the hype machine kick in. The draft is about playing the odds, and the odds of Luck becoming a franchise quarterback are much higher than RGIII. It's that simple. But, every year there will be a small army of scouts and "experts" that fall over themselves convincing each other that the most proven prospect has some deep flaws which will prevent them from becoming more than they were in college (and whatever they accomplished in college was never enough). In the end, barring any huge medical issues, Luck will be the #1.

doonwise
02-11-2012, 11:01 AM
I don't even have to read the article to know the premis is wrong. Griffin is in no way like Leaf. He's not a head case, he's smart and motivated. He's not going to flake out like Leaf. Stupid comparison IMHO.

You should have read the article, because that's not what it was about.

Tombstone RJ
02-11-2012, 11:04 AM
then the thread title should change, no?

doonwise
02-11-2012, 11:05 AM

NO, read the damn article. You're taking lazy to new heights... much like Ryan Leaf did...

NFLBRONCO
02-11-2012, 11:13 AM
If I had pick I'd draft Luck but, RGIII will have everybody drooling by draft time. The NFL is open to RGIII type talent these days.

I even expect several rumors that Denver will move up and draft RGIII too.

Drunken.Broncoholic
02-11-2012, 11:28 AM
It's pretty simple. When was the last time a QB prospect was coached In college by an NFL head coach? When was the last time that prospect played in an NFL schemed offense? When was the last time that same prospect called his own plays in that NFL offense? Bunch that all together with a kid who stayed in school to get his degree instead of going pro. At a school you actually need to study in and not get grades handed to you like other schools.

I wouldn't not compare luck with RG3. He's Better. He's better than over half the starting QBs in the NFL right now.

Play2win
02-11-2012, 12:02 PM
I just wish we had a QB that could make half the throws luck can make :)

Drunken.Broncoholic
02-11-2012, 12:12 PM
Ive watched Montana, Marino, Farve, Elway, Moon, Young all in person. Went to a lot of Stanford games last few years. I've never seen anyone with the footwork that Luck has. Moon might of had the best spiral out of all that bunch, but Luck is going to be something special. The Colts will now have another decade with a great QB.

ColoradoDarin
02-11-2012, 12:25 PM

Tebow's completion percentage is better than 35%, no?

Drek
02-11-2012, 12:27 PM

Tebow can make and has made every throw you'd ever ask for in the NFL. His problem is doing it consistently. You never know if this is the time he throws a beautiful pass with nice spiral and perfect touch or if its going to be a wobbly duck that lands 10 feet short or 10 feet too high.

Tombstone RJ
02-11-2012, 12:39 PM
NO, read the damn article. You're taking lazy to new heights... much like Ryan Leaf did...

I read the article and as others have stated, there's really no debate. Luck is a better overall pro prospect than Manning was. Whoever has the first pick of the draft will take Luck. As for RGIII, he's got all sorts of upside but no scout worth his pay will tell a team to take RGIII before Luck.

So again, not really a good comparison IMHO.

Gort
02-11-2012, 12:40 PM

RGIII grew up as a Denver Broncos fan. no way we could get him and we don't even know if we need him since Tebow may yet be the QBOTF, but RGIII would love the chance to play here.

Mogulseeker
02-11-2012, 12:47 PM

Hilarious!

Mogulseeker
02-11-2012, 12:50 PM
Tebow can make and has made every throw you'd ever ask for in the NFL. His problem is doing it consistently. You never know if this is the time he throws a beautiful pass with nice spiral and perfect touch or if its going to be a wobbly duck that lands 10 feet short or 10 feet too high.

Like for example an out route, where he completed one against the Steelers, but couldn't do it once during the regular season. He needs work on hook routes too.

Really anything that involves throwing the ball before the receiver makes his break, Tebow needs work on.

Lestat
02-11-2012, 03:26 PM
both QB's will do very well in the pros. Luck will be similar to Aaron Rodgers, RGIII will be similar to Eagles version of Michael Vick.

Play2win
02-11-2012, 06:35 PM

He can't get the ball out fast, especially over the middle, when he needs to. He can't make the oh-so-critical hot read.

At least the way I see it, it doesn't appear he will ever be able to make that throw. And its critical in today's day and age. No matter what else he brings to the table, the defenses are going to key on that, and its a huge, wide open weakness.

Play2win
02-11-2012, 06:38 PM
Like for example an out route, where he completed one against the Steelers, but couldn't do it once during the regular season. He needs work on hook routes too.

Really anything that involves throwing the ball before the receiver makes his break, Tebow needs work on.

He reminds of Jake, in that, I get nervous as hell every time he has to throw the ball.

strafen
02-11-2012, 06:47 PM
I'm a big fan of Andrew Luck.
I think he's going to be a fine QB no matter where he plays.

RGIII is also a good QB. I think the difference will be in where he plays at or the type of offense he'll be running.
It will take a special personnel (wr's) around him on offense to take advantage of his skills...

RhymesayersDU
02-11-2012, 08:43 PM

Wait, you know RGIII personally? What's he like?

Mogulseeker
02-11-2012, 08:49 PM
Griffin is smarter and a much harder worker than Ryan Leaf.

v2micca
02-11-2012, 09:14 PM
If I was Irsay, I would make this very easy on my GM. I would inform him that if he drafted RGIII over Andrew Luck with the number 1 overall pick that he would be fired before the second round of the draft.

Pontius Pirate
02-12-2012, 12:11 AM
RG3 will make Cam Newton look like Akili Smith

RhymesayersDU
02-12-2012, 12:12 AM
RG3 will make Cam Newton look like Akili Smith

TEBOW ALREADY DID THAT BROSEF!

/threadjack

joe9999
02-12-2012, 07:24 AM

Have to agree. Stupid title and comparison. RG3 is not a head case.

RhymesayersDU
02-12-2012, 09:45 AM
How does everybody seem to know that?

elsid13
02-12-2012, 09:51 AM

You are right that no one knows how either Luck or RGIII are going to act when they have money and fame, but by all media reports and no smoking gun from anyone on the internet both seem to be stable and are good citizens.

Lestat
02-12-2012, 11:25 AM
you can read enough about him to know he's never shown the potential red flags of being a hot headed fool. he's down to earth, smart and him being engaged certainly doesn't hurt as far as keeping him grounded.

most often there are warning signs with prospects who have emotional issues and they tend to get further scrutinized as the draft stock soars.
you don't really hear that about RGIII, no cockiness, no ego, no issues with being a good leader, no trouble with the law & etc.
the only true knock on him is his previous knee injury and his smaller frame in comparison to the prototypical NFL QB measurables.

Lestat
02-12-2012, 11:27 AM
well Luck already has money, his family is pretty well off.
but when you add in celebrity on a global scale, turning football into a job rather than a pure passion and introduce guaranteed money, endorsement deals and the potential social life of a NFL player.
you can never say never with anything.
You are right that no one knows how either Luck or RGIII are going to act when they have money and fame, but by all media reports and no smoking gun from anyone on the internet both seem to be stable and are good citizens.

Goobzilla
02-12-2012, 02:39 PM
Point of the article aside RG's folks are both ex-military, He has already received his degree and plans to become a lawyer someday. Tell me again about the Leaf parallels? This kid is motivated, Leaf is jerkoff.

Mountain Bronco
02-13-2012, 09:35 AM
RGIII won't be the top pick. Articles like this are a complete waste of time.

Garcia Bronco
02-13-2012, 09:52 AM
I would agree from a tried media hype perspective. the reality is this...there was no way Leaf was going to be drafted ahead of Manning and there is no way Robert Grifth will be drafted ahead of Luck.

enjolras
02-13-2012, 11:20 AM

That's what we thought about Tiger Woods for like a decade:)

enjolras
02-13-2012, 11:22 AM
He has already received his degree and plans to become a lawyer someday. Tell me again about the Leaf parallels? This kid is motivated, Leaf is jerkoff.

That's a red-flag isn't it?

:)

Elway 4 Life
02-13-2012, 01:59 PM
RGIII grew up as a Denver Broncos fan. no way we could get him and we don't even know if we need him since Tebow may yet be the QBOTF, but RGIII would love the chance to play here.

Is this fact? Or are you just trying to frenzy the masses?:kiddingme

Lestat
02-13-2012, 06:04 PM
he was no different than any politician. he just got more booty :strong:

Drunken.Broncoholic
02-13-2012, 06:16 PM
Tiger cheated on his wife. He didn't drink and drive into a fatal accident. I could care less if Luck or RG3 is a great person with morals or not. I'm never going to hang out with either. The only thing I care about is their actions on the field.

errand
02-13-2012, 10:23 PM

And there my friend lies the problem......when he's at his best, he completes half his passes...but when he's bad...6-22 vs. the Chiefs is what you get.

Hopefully we'll see some SERIOUS improvement in his throwing the ball....

BroncoBen
02-14-2012, 08:50 AM
both QB's will do very well in the pros. Luck will be similar to Aaron Rodgers, RGIII will be similar to Eagles version of Michael Vick.

This is a good anology... both have yet to play in the NFL, so there is chance one or both could wash out.. remember Danny Wuerffel, Andre Ware, Gino Torretta, Eric Crouch and Jason White.. the all won the Heisman Trophy when they were in College.

bendog
02-14-2012, 09:12 AM
RGIII is a much better passer than Vick was at this stage of his career. The scary thing is that Vick2010's passing may be Tebow's upside.

(hijack) (-:

DarkHorse
02-14-2012, 09:36 AM

Word is, Griffin is actually a good kid. I didn't even read the article, I can tell just by the title that it's a crap comparison.

bendog
02-14-2012, 09:42 AM
They should have just changed the thread title. The article's title is actually the qb "debtate" of Luck v. RGIII is the hottest since Payton v. Leaf. I wouldn't have even read the article unless the thread starter attributed it to Legweld who isn't a horrible columnist despite all Den writers having to be homers but for Kizla who is just an ass, and one I will not read.

razorwire77
02-14-2012, 12:22 PM
There is no debate, Luck is the closest thing to sure fire QB prospect that you can get. There is no chance, short of Luck getting caught with a mobile meth lab in his car that he will not be the 1st overall pick. Scratch that, he would have to have a mobile meth lab in his car and a dead hooker in his trunk to not get drafted no. 1 overall.

RGIII in his own right has a real potential to be a star QB, but he's more limited to the type of offense he can run. Both kids are smart, both kids seem to be grounded and relatively humble for the type of talent they posses.

DarkHorse
02-14-2012, 12:53 PM
Dead hookers aren't as bad these days as they used to be. Pretty sure it's just a misdemeanor around here.....

HILife
02-14-2012, 01:22 PM
If I was Irsay, I would make this very easy on my GM. I would inform him that if he drafted RGIII over Andrew Luck with the number 1 overall pick that he would be fired before the second round of the draft.

Second round? I guess Irsay would need a little time to find a replacement.

HILife
02-14-2012, 01:25 PM

And OJ.

v2micca
02-15-2012, 06:10 AM
Second round? I guess Irsay would need a little time to find a replacement.

Well, obviously the warning carries no weight if the Owner doesn't assemble some dependable assistant GMs behind him who are capable of stepping in to finish the draft. But, honestly, I would probably fire the GM if he didn't start reaching out to Luck's camp about negotiating a contract sometime in the next two months. That to me would be enough red flags that my GM had gone retard and was considering passing on Luck for RGIII.

Pony Boy
02-15-2012, 07:32 AM

I think if Tebow got laid he would be a better QB, get it over with and take the pressure off, He would smooth right out, think clearer and no more wobbly ducks.

My wife tells me, that I think that's the answer to everything......;D

alkemical
02-15-2012, 07:38 AM
I think if Tebow got laid he would be a better QB, get it over with and take the pressure off, He would smooth right out, think clearer and no more wobbly ducks.

My wife tells me, that I think that's the answer to everything......;D

Or, he looses his superpowers.