PDA

View Full Version : Smart move for Peyton Manning is to retire

Bronco Rob
02-10-2012, 11:31 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=lc-carpenter_peyton_manning_colts_future_retirement_0 20912

?

Tombstone RJ
02-10-2012, 12:21 PM
he should retire...

Pony Boy
02-10-2012, 12:41 PM
I don't think he could swallow the fact that little brother has two rings and he has one......... his melon head would explode.

HILife
02-10-2012, 12:41 PM
lolwut.jpg

broncosteven
02-10-2012, 12:52 PM
"Can he whip his head from side to side at the line of scrimmage as he once did? Will he be able to turn quickly and spot a receiver deep downfield, look to see his blockers or whirl around to find a tackler just before he’s hit?"

These are the concerns I would have, I wouldn't be totally shocked if Peyton ended up in TC somewhere and found this out the hard way and retired when it becomes painfully obvious that the nerve damage is going to limit his ability.

If he were closer to 30 than 40 I could see trying to play through it on a new team but if he is forced to go somewhere else and play 16 games he is going to find his body will betray him at some point during the season.

bronco militia
02-10-2012, 12:54 PM
TLDR >:(

That One Guy
02-10-2012, 12:57 PM
They all say the play for the love of the game but ask them whether they'd like to play 16 games on league minimum or be the highest paid player but not play a game and they'd choose to sit, I bet.

They're all in it for the money and he's no different. If he were, he'd back off any bonus payments for as long as the team needs to see that he's healthy and then they could determine his future. Instead, he'll rope someone into paying him big money hoping he'll be back and to sell tickets.

Bronco Yoda
02-10-2012, 01:10 PM
Visions of Broadway Joe. It's not pretty. Almost painful for any fan to watch.

Rohirrim
02-10-2012, 01:16 PM
If he was really smart, he'd retire, rent a little house in the south of France, or some beach in Brazil, and take a couple of years to mellow out, smoke a little doob, and let the world go by...

wait a minute...

is this the Ricky Williams thread?

bendog
02-10-2012, 01:19 PM
Namath's 69 freaking years old. You won't be looking so hot if you make that long either. (-:

Guy wants to play he should play. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't leave anything on the field if I was him, and I don't plan to quit what I do till I have no other alternative. And, sure, he could get hurt. Elway kept on until it was clear that althogh he could still play, he'd never make it through another full season.

Rohirrim
02-10-2012, 01:21 PM
Namath's 69 freaking years old. You won't be looking so hot if you make that long either. (-:

Guy wants to play he should play. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't leave anything on the field if I was him, and I don't plan to quit what I do till I have no other alternative. And, sure, he could get hurt. Elway kept on until it was clear that althogh he could still play, he'd never make it through another full season.

I remember Elway saying he still loved the Sundays, but couldn't take the Mondays. ;D

ludo21
02-10-2012, 01:25 PM
If the doctors cleared him then he should play.

Id actually like to see what he looks like in a different jersey, see how the team plays with him a the helm

BroncoBeavis
02-10-2012, 01:39 PM
I remember Elway saying he still loved the Sundays, but couldn't take the Mondays. ;D

Yeah, but as long as TD was doing mop up duty, Elway could've played another couple years at a very high level.

I think it was more about the fact that they finally won the big one as an underdog. Then they strongarmed through a season as top dog when everyone was gunning for them, which established them as an all-time great team, and guaranteed nobody would see the first win as a fluke.

After that, what was really left to accomplish? Probably made it a little harder to stay hungry.

Rohirrim
02-10-2012, 01:51 PM
Yeah, but as long as TD was doing mop up duty, Elway could've played another couple years at a very high level.

I think it was more about the fact that they finally won the big one as an underdog. Then they strongarmed through a season as top dog when everyone was gunning for them, which established them as an all-time great team, and guaranteed nobody would see the first win as a fluke.

After that, what was really left to accomplish? Probably made it a little harder to stay hungry.

No. He was pretty choked up at the time. It was clear he wanted to keep playing. The price just got too high.

Chris
02-10-2012, 01:55 PM
Maybe Elway believed in Bubby Brister's talent?

Not.

BroncoBeavis
02-10-2012, 01:55 PM
No. He was pretty choked up at the time. It was clear he wanted to keep playing. The price just got too high.

No, I remember what he said. But I'll tell you this. If he wasn't wearing rings at the end of that season, he comes back. No question.

Chris
02-10-2012, 01:58 PM
No, I remember what he said. But I'll tell you this. If he wasn't wearing rings at the end of that season, he comes back. No question.

Agree I do. The same. As well.

His legacy was set... there wasn't much more he had to do.

barryr
02-10-2012, 02:20 PM
Chances are Manning would go to a team void of talent with not a great OL, so he may get forced into retirement taking too many hits on a body with multiple neck surgeries. He really has nothing left to prove and it would be smart for him to retire, but so many professional athletes refuse to see the writing on the wall before embarrassing themselves first.

bronco militia
02-10-2012, 02:27 PM
http://daveartlocker.blogspot.com/2012/02/manning-face.html

MANNING FACE

Febreeze's Peyton Tars Have gone Viral!

So in response to a dumb request while lurking a thread http://www.somethingawful.com/ (Where I'm known as Febreeze) I started going through the NFL logos and changing them so they had Peyton's face. Since it's suddenly getting out now, I'm posting what I can before it gets any bigger so I get proper credit.

Manning Face joke started by http://www.manningface.com/

Example Manningface:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ZXL8oZKvOQQ/TzSJrvlvosI/AAAAAAAABcw/_oUEOuiJfJ0/s320/1322547238_peyton.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-KFK1qJGTsag/TzRb23F02uI/AAAAAAAABZ8/wSUA8d1NO_0/s320/Redman.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bccfOu6wuN0/TzRb3jcQ2zI/AAAAAAAABaM/KfnozF8eJWc/s320/Sir+Man.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Vt3raI0aZtg/TzRb2pNq6nI/AAAAAAAABZ0/8Ujbqa8zgp4/s320/Raider+Manning.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-yh7OK26-0Ek/TzRb17oQ64I/AAAAAAAABZc/HKj37Q3HlXM/s320/Norse+Man.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-OOo5WrWT_TU/TzRby1Mf1kI/AAAAAAAABYE/bWxBXNVXU0M/s320/BuccoMan2.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-f1UaW6GwbSQ/TzRb5DrHoFI/AAAAAAAABaw/qG1ZCi_oR8M/s320/broncos2.jpg

Bronco Yoda
02-10-2012, 02:28 PM

He wasn't 69 when ended his career with the Rams. Though he did move like it.

Of course it's possible in this day and age to have replaceable knees. Joe has two of them. He's retired in Florida and manages to gimp around the pool.

I've not heard of any replaceable spines yet.

jonny1
02-10-2012, 02:56 PM

Although I and most Broncos fans feel this way (bolded part), have you noticed that whenever the national media (ESPN, NFL Network) or magazines or anything do a "best teams of all time" list, the 98 Broncos are NEVER listed.

It p*sses me off, but what can you do.

BroncoBeavis
02-10-2012, 03:29 PM
Although I and most Broncos fans feel this way (bolded part), have you noticed that whenever the national media (ESPN, NFL Network) or magazines or anything do a "best teams of all time" list, the 98 Broncos are NEVER listed.

It p*sses me off, but what can you do.

I think a lot of people think of football dynasties when they talk about 'best teams of all time'

The arc of the late 90's Broncos was too short to be considered a 'dynasty' Part of it had to do with timing. Most dynasties thrive when their QB General is in the prime of his career. The Broncos were unique in that it was at the tail end of Elway. When he left and everything fell apart afterwards (partly because of Elway, partly just bad luck) the Broncos came up short of being a dynasty.

But for one year, the Broncos were among the best of all time. Very rare that a QB can retire saying that about his last season.

Bronco Yoda
02-10-2012, 03:48 PM
Hilarious! That Bronco logo should be enough for anyone thinking about lusting over Mellon head to reconsider.

Archer81
02-10-2012, 04:05 PM
If he can't feel it when he throws to his left or across his body, the odds are he wont be able to play on sunday.

:Broncos:

extralife
02-10-2012, 05:37 PM
I think a lot of people think of football dynasties when they talk about 'best teams of all time'

The arc of the late 90's Broncos was too short to be considered a 'dynasty' Part of it had to do with timing. Most dynasties thrive when their QB General is in the prime of his career. The Broncos were unique in that it was at the tail end of Elway. When he left and everything fell apart afterwards (partly because of Elway, partly just bad luck) the Broncos came up short of being a dynasty.

But for one year, the Broncos were among the best of all time. Very rare that a QB can retire saying that about his last season.

I've heard the '98 Broncos in the conversation before, but yeah, only when it is made explicitly clear that the conversation is about best individual years, rather than loosely defined "teams," which would of course always come down to 60's Packers, 70's Steelers, 80's Niners.

Either way, no, the team isn't talked about enough. I assumed we would win every game that year. I just didn't see how any team in the NFL could beat us. Not exactly a feeling you get all that often.

maher_tyler
02-10-2012, 05:50 PM
If the Doc says he can play, why would he retire?

Tombstone RJ
02-10-2012, 07:18 PM

the nerves are still healing and they may never be 100%. Physically, he may be ok, but the nerve damage is what will effect his ability to throw the ball. I shattered my elbow skiing a few years ago and one of the fractures was right next to a nerve. The doctor did not want to do any surgury unless it was absolutely necessary because he didn't want to mess with that nerve. Well, my left hand is not the same. I functions fine, but it ain't 100%. I can only imagine what Peyton's situation is like. It's probably similar to my situation only about a 100 times worse.

cmhargrove
02-11-2012, 06:27 AM

I am 100% with you on this. After all the "career ending injuries" we have seen in the nfl (as far as fans/media are concerned), when was the last time you saw someone who was "cleared" by expert physicians and didn't make a proper comeback? Peyton will be back, and his success will likely be predicated on the team he chooses, but I for one hopes he kicks the **** out the league for doubting him next year.

I mean I hate and love Peyton Manning. He just annihilated us for years. His play can be borderline flawless to watch. He will go down in my book as one of the most skilled QB's to ever play the game.

Peyton's advantages are more about presnap reads, the ability to change his plays at the line, and his timing. Why does everyone think he needs to be 100% of what he was in order to be successful? The dude is still one of the best, and I could easily see him taking his new team to a championship in the next 2-3 years.

Gort
02-11-2012, 07:55 AM
I've heard the '98 Broncos in the conversation before, but yeah, only when it is made explicitly clear that the conversation is about best individual years, rather than loosely defined "teams," which would of course always come down to 60's Packers, 70's Steelers, 80's Niners.

Either way, no, the team isn't talked about enough. I assumed we would win every game that year. I just didn't see how any team in the NFL could beat us. Not exactly a feeling you get all that often.

speaking of good teams that are now forgotten... the Houston Oilers of the mid-to-late 70's would have to be on the list. they didn't get to the superbowl and the franchise moved to TEN and changed its name, so those Houston Oiler teams are not often mentioned anymore (Houston fans now have the Texans to talk about and those teams pre-dated the Tennessee Titans fanbase). it's really a shame too, because the SB for a couple of years there was an afterthought, with the real champion being crowned in the AFCCG (both losses to PIT in 1978 and 1979).

Gort
02-11-2012, 07:58 AM
I am 100% with you on this. After all the "career ending injuries" we have seen in the nfl (as far as fans/media are concerned), when was the last time you saw someone who was "cleared" by expert physicians and didn't make a proper comeback? Peyton will be back, and his success will likely be predicated on the team he chooses, but I for one hopes he kicks the **** out the league for doubting him next year.

I mean I hate and love Peyton Manning. He just annihilated us for years. His play can be borderline flawless to watch. He will go down in my book as one of the most skilled QB's to ever play the game.

Peyton's advantages are more about presnap reads, the ability to change his plays at the line, and his timing. Why does everyone think he needs to be 100% of what he was in order to be successful? The dude is still one of the best, and I could easily see him taking his new team to a championship in the next 2-3 years.

i've seen his arm medically described now as a noodle arm. that's why.

errand
02-11-2012, 09:05 AM

Link?

cmhargrove
02-11-2012, 09:06 AM

WTF is "noodle arm?" Is that like the medical condition known as "hairy palm?"

errand
02-11-2012, 09:11 AM

I know right? He said it was "medically" described as a noodle arm.....

Doc-"I'm sorry Peyton, you suffer from what we professionally refer to as noodlearmitis"

Boobs McGee
02-11-2012, 09:52 AM
Link?

I think galt got caught up in THIS media hype as well:
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/34758620

"During a Wednesday appearance on "The Tony Kornheiser Show," Kravitz talked about the he-said, he-said back-and-forth posturing by both camps and what it means for the future of Peyton and the Colts.

"I think people are starting to sway over to Jim Irsay's side on this," Kravitz told Kornheiser. " It's such a no-brainer. It's been a no-brainer since they went to 0-13. He could give them money to play football. Andrew Luck has got to play, okay? It's not even about the $35 million anymore. I mean, the guy's arm is a noodle, he can't throw like an NFL quarterback, and by March 8, there's no way of knowing whether he's going to be ready or not."

Wow. "Arm is a noodle" is nowhere near "been medically cleared to play." But that doesn't mean Manning won't be healthy at some point. It's just that nobody knows when.

I know some of the people that have seen him throw, Kravitz continued. "They say hes not throwing like an NFL quarterback yet. That doesnt mean he never will. This thing is going to take time. Structurally, hes sound. Structurally, he can take a hit.

and then took it for gospel.

Here's Kravit's apology:

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2012/2/11/2791261/bob-kravitz-backtracks-from-peyton-noodle-arm-comment

Gotta love the hype machine

Gort
02-11-2012, 12:48 PM
Link?

see above. i just made a mental note of this when it came out the same day or so as the "medical clearance" supposedly came out. honestly, i don't care whether Manning plays again or not. i'm still holding a grudge against Pumpkinhead for the 2003 and 2004 playoff beatdowns.

Gort
02-11-2012, 12:55 PM
I know right? He said it was "medically" described as a noodle arm.....

Doc-"I'm sorry Peyton, you suffer from what we professionally refer to as noodlearmitis"

i was indulging in what i thought was an obvious example of hyperbole. there is no medical diagnosis of "noodle arm".

Gort
02-11-2012, 12:59 PM

much like tennis players who have to worry about "tennis elbow", "hairy palm" afflicts golfers who spend too much time fondling certain brands of golf balls.

http://www.incrediblethings.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Schwetty-Balls.jpg