PDA

View Full Version : Regular Season Results compared with Super Bowl Winner since 1990

Killericon
02-08-2012, 10:57 AM
http://i.imgur.com/FE6q1.png

Pick Six
02-08-2012, 11:40 AM
It's good to win the important game. The fact that so many teams had better records than the Giants, makes it even more impressive...:strong:

Spider
02-08-2012, 11:42 AM
It's good to win the important game. The fact that so many teams had better records than the Giants, makes it even more impressive...:strong:

thats it in a nut shell , got to get hot at the right time ......

Tombstone RJ
02-08-2012, 11:47 AM
thats it in a nut shell , got to get hot at the right time ......

yep, playing your best when it counts the most, and the overall health of the team in the playoffs is huge too. GB is kind of the exception to the health rule but they very much played their best games last year at the end of the season and parlayed that into a SB win.

Dukes
02-08-2012, 12:01 PM
There's a definite correlation between pre FA and post FA

tsiguy96
02-08-2012, 01:27 PM
used to be a much stronger correlation between regular season record and post seasn record, last 7-8 years it seems its more about getting hot at the right time

BroncoBeavis
02-08-2012, 02:23 PM
used to be a much stronger correlation between regular season record and post seasn record, last 7-8 years it seems its more about getting hot at the right time

Wonder if it has anything to do with free agency. Lots of interchanging parts every year might mean lots of teams don't get to their best ball until the end.

Oh, sorry, never mind. Missed Dukes saying that.

OrangeSe7en
02-08-2012, 02:38 PM

Not only that, but there used to be dominant teams winning big in the SB. When was the last blow out in the SB?

ColoradoDarin
02-08-2012, 03:59 PM
Not only that, but there used to be dominant teams winning big in the SB. When was the last blow out in the SB?

Tampa/Oakland (it wasn't even as close as the final) and Baltimore/NYG out of the last decade+ So it's been almost 10 years since we've had a blowout.

gunns
02-08-2012, 04:02 PM
The other thing is GB had a much better D last year and their primary injuries were on offense. The Giants this year struggled early primarily because of injuries on D and that's what got healthy at the end. In the 2000's the majority of teams have won with defenses. Baltimore, the first NE win, TB, Pitt x2, NYG x 2 even Indy's first win when their D sucked all season and suddenly came alive in the playoffs. Some had great offenses but they can thank heavens their D's stepped up, like NO. I'm just hoping Elway is reading my posts and goes D, D, D, D, D.

extralife
02-08-2012, 05:11 PM

it's not free agency (which was 93, and includes about 80% of the period documented in the chart), it's the pass interference/QB protection rules.

StugotsIII
02-08-2012, 05:17 PM
Looks like the NFL needs the BCS...

orinjkrush
02-08-2012, 05:29 PM
i have no idea what that chart shows. other than you can move columns up and down to make a consistent red row.

extralife
02-08-2012, 05:34 PM
i have no idea what that chart shows.

that's because you are stupid

bronco militia
02-08-2012, 05:45 PM
i have no idea what that chart shows. other than you can move columns up and down to make a consistent red row.

no doubt....there's not much of a pattern. maybe since 2002 things have been weird in the playoffs. that was when the league added the texans and went to 8 divisions

BroncoLifer
02-08-2012, 06:04 PM
What's with the little footnote next to 1993 Houston? Special notice for KFC's last playoff victim?

tsiguy96
02-08-2012, 07:15 PM
it's not free agency (which was 93, and includes about 80% of the period documented in the chart), it's the pass interference/QB protection rules.

i never said FA, i just said its interesting the last several years your regular season record is almost irrelevant to whether you win the SB, as long as you make the playoffs.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-08-2012, 10:32 PM
I have no what the hell has caused that. But FA and QB protection dont really seem to apply

Tombstone RJ
02-09-2012, 05:06 PM
I think it does show that talent is spread pretty evenly thoughout the NFL due to thinks like FA and the salary cap. As another poster stated, SBs seem to be pretty close games these days whereas back in the 1980s you had some ugly blowouts. Parity is better and teams getting on a roll and being relatively healthy during the playoffs appears to help the chances of a wild card team coming out on top.

NFL playoffs are win or go home affairs so teams really have to play well or one or two little mistakes can cost them the game. I think this is why the Pats have been so good for so long. They have a great QB, they are well coached and they don't make many mistakes.

Arkie
02-09-2012, 05:36 PM
Only 9 teams during the first 11 years had better records than the champs, and 44 teams during the last 10 years have had better records.