PDA

View Full Version : The Indispensable Fan

Rohirrim
02-05-2012, 08:07 AM
Roosevelt, Miller told me, loved football, but had never played the game -- by the time he was president, Roosevelt cut a brawny, outdoorsmanlike, Hemingwayesque figure (well, Hemingway hadn't been heard of in those years, but you get the picture), yet as a boy he was small, sickly and wore eyeglasses. When he was serving in the White House and football was under fire, he wanted the game to survive, "but he realized that the critics had a point. ... He loved the sport and thought it was great, but he recognized there was a threat to it. ... He was concerned that we would lose the game."
http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/05/opinion/greene-super-bowl/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

Shananahan
02-05-2012, 11:51 AM
Good read. He was a pretty awesome dude.

Can't really even imagine the president these days engaging in boxing matches for fun, going bear hunting, or taking safaris and exploring uncharted rivers and lands. Roosevelt lived life all-out.

Rohirrim
02-05-2012, 12:38 PM
Good read. He was a pretty awesome dude.

Can't really even imagine the president these days engaging in boxing matches for fun, going bear hunting, or taking safaris and exploring uncharted rivers and lands. Roosevelt lived life all-out.

Not to mention swimming naked in the Potomac River in the winter or riding his horse through the park and shooting off a revolver. Ha!

orinjkrush
02-05-2012, 12:50 PM
sorta like an American Putin. manly man. opposite of she-man Clinton.

Miss I.
02-05-2012, 01:24 PM
Not to mention swimming naked in the Potomac River in the winter or riding his horse through the park and shooting off a revolver. Ha!

I do that every other weekend. Psh...only since I am England, now it is the Thames. And since guns are a no-no except for hunting, I just shoot off my mouth in a pub near by house called REVOLution...close enough...;D