PDA

View Full Version : Broncos hire Sullivan

Mogulseeker
02-03-2012, 03:40 PM
Denver Broncos hire noted cap guru Mike Sullivan as their new contract negotiator. He's a CPA and a lawyer, and according to the Post, he's a notorious "bulldog" when negotiating contracts.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19887005

tsiguy96
02-03-2012, 03:42 PM
wonder if thats a good thing or bad thing

Mogulseeker
02-03-2012, 03:42 PM
Also said he's that guy who invented the option bonus.

Mogulseeker
02-03-2012, 03:47 PM
wonder if thats a good thing or bad thing

Better players for less money is a good thing.

tsiguy96
02-03-2012, 03:53 PM
Better players for less money is a good thing.

or...worse because free agents from our and other teams say **** it and sign with someone else...

Mogulseeker
02-03-2012, 04:00 PM
or...worse because free agents from our and other teams say **** it and sign with someone else...

My point is - everybody has a salary cap. Having a guy who really knows how to jumble the numbers and put them in places that allow us to spend money without "spending" money.

He built up a solid reputation negotiating for players, and as such probably has a lot of respect around the league. He's just on the other side of the table now.

eddie mac
02-03-2012, 04:08 PM
This guy's coming over after 25 years on the dark side (well according to owners anyway) He'll know more than most about how a player and his agent thinks and what the team can get away with.

The Broncos should be in the top 10 or so in available caproom so let's hope they use the most of it this year and start seeing real value for their spending, like McGahee brought in 2011. Just before the season started in 2011 according to Jason LaCanfora, the Broncos had the 4th highest caproom total with $24m plus still available for last years contracts that was not utilised.

ludo21
02-03-2012, 04:09 PM
players will get paid according to what their worth.
bring in manning... jk

Lestat
02-03-2012, 07:39 PM
this can only be a good thing, means they will be after bang for the buck but also trying to land some guys.

broncosteven
02-03-2012, 07:41 PM
This team has been headed in the right direction since mCd got ****canned, too bad we had to go through that mess for Bowlen to get his head out of his ass!

Lestat
02-03-2012, 07:47 PM
it actually seems as if Elway knows what he's doing. who would have thunk it

TheReverend
02-03-2012, 08:31 PM
The more experience, the better.

KipCorrington25
02-03-2012, 08:47 PM
I can't be bothered to read the article but no Patriots on his resume, right?

kappys
02-03-2012, 09:56 PM
So what exactly does Xanders do now for the team?

NFLBRONCO
02-03-2012, 09:58 PM

Pizza Guy

Taco John
02-03-2012, 10:09 PM
I love this signing.

strafen
02-03-2012, 10:21 PM
wonder if thats a good thing or bad thingIsn't it the same thing Xanders is supposed to be good at?

strafen
02-03-2012, 10:22 PM
Pizza GuyJust a lateral move! :strong:

Broncos_OTM
02-03-2012, 11:18 PM
I see Xanders getting faxzed out... good bad or indifferent. Im sure elway is fairly clueless about how this all works. who better to teach him then this guy.

theAPAOps5
02-03-2012, 11:19 PM
Isn't it the same thing Xanders is supposed to be good at?

I wondered the same thing. That is what he was best known for coming out of Atlanta.

Mogulseeker
02-03-2012, 11:23 PM
I see Xanders getting faxzed out... good bad or indifferent. Im sure elway is fairly clueless about how this all works. who better to teach him then this guy.

Sullivan isn't the GM... he's the cap guy. I'm sure Sullivan won't have much say as far as the draft is concerned.

That said, it's interesting the direction the Broncos are headed in - hearing how they're letting go so really long-time fixtures of the team. Tuten was with the team for what, 25 years? And the guy Sullivan replaced was here for 17 years... it's like loyalty has worn off, and the team is focusing on winning now rather than the business environment.

Who's next? Greek?

Mogulseeker
02-03-2012, 11:26 PM
From the Washington Post:

Before his hiring, which was announced Friday by Broncos boss John Elway, Sullivan was regarded as one of the top contract negotiators in the business. He’s ushered in some of the more creative salary terms in the industry, including the guaranteed salary/option bonus structure on bigger deals.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/broncos-hire-renowned-player-rep-mike-sullivan-to-manage-contract-negotiations-salary-cap/2012/02/03/gIQA9Z7fnQ_story.html

Cito Pelon
02-03-2012, 11:37 PM
This guy is supposed to do what? I don't see much of an addition to the organization. Joe Ellis bringing in a buddy, or what?

Mogulseeker
02-03-2012, 11:41 PM
This guy is supposed to do what? I don't see much of an addition to the organization. Joe Ellis bringing in a buddy, or what?

Just look at the press release from the Denver Broncos, dude:

With the Broncos, Sullivan will direct the club’s negotiating and structuring of all player contracts. He will be responsible for managing the Broncos’ football budget and salary cap as well as ensuring the club’s compliance with the league’s Collective Bargaining Agreement.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Sullivan-Named-Director-of-Football-Administration/3be79cc8-e323-4ef8-a231-bd7155b38b17

NFLBRONCO
02-04-2012, 12:04 AM
We need this guy to sign cheap FA's

Seriously I like this move if we become a major player in FA in 2013.

houghtam
02-04-2012, 12:19 AM
This team has been headed in the right direction since mCd got ****canned, too bad we had to go through that mess for Bowlen to get his head out of his ass!

Without the bitter, baby, the sweet just ain't as sweet.

Cito Pelon
02-04-2012, 12:41 AM
Just look at the press release from the Denver Broncos, dude:

They already had guys that did that. Sounds like some kind of buddy deal, who's buddy it is I don't know. Smells like Joe Ellis.

broncocalijohn
02-04-2012, 12:55 AM
it actually seems as if Elway knows what he's doing. who would have thunk it

Most besides MacGruder and Broncbow.

eddie mac
02-04-2012, 02:37 AM
I can't be bothered to read the article but no Patriots on his resume, right?

Denver will be the first team he's ever worked for. He's moving from one side of the negotiating table to the other after 25 years so he of all people will know every move the agent/player makes on the other side of the table whilst negotiating deals which are in the Broncos best interests instead of the players.

cmhargrove
02-04-2012, 06:57 AM
So this Sullivan can play Defensive Tackle, right?

Drek
02-04-2012, 06:58 AM
We need this guy to sign cheap FA's

Seriously I like this move if we become a major player in FA in 2013.

Why wait until 2013? I'm hoping this is a sign that Bowlen is actually going to spend up to the limit this year, so he and Elway want someone who can maximize their flexibility and value per dollar.

They already had guys that did that. Sounds like some kind of buddy deal, who's buddy it is I don't know. Smells like Joe Ellis.

Xanders is the guy who does it now. Either this move is because they consider his workload too heavy or he's being further marginalized/soon to be released.

MacGruder
02-04-2012, 07:03 AM
Why doesn't Bowlen just sell the team if he doesn't have any money?

MacGruder
02-04-2012, 07:05 AM
Most besides MacGruder and Broncbow.

and the kool-aid cup gets even bigger.. Like you know if this is a good move or not or if he even did it. We know the Orton move worked exactly as Elway planned... LOL

IF you think about it Elway probably HAD to do this because the financial aspect is probably somehting that falls under his responsibility and because he is an ex-athlete - NOT a business person = he was probably in way over his head. I wonder how much the old guy got paid and the new guy is getting paid to basically do what Elway is supposed to be doing.

That is probably why Elway is flying coach too.. because he knows he is costing the Broncos twice as much and not even fulfilling his job. So not only is he not capable of doing what other executives do but we don't even know if he can develop QBs which is supposed to be what he brings to the table. He sure does interviews good tho.. that is all he seems to be really capable of doing. He's a show pony - the Fountainhead...

bowtown
02-04-2012, 07:17 AM
How does this move effect Tebow? Can't believe no one has asked that yet.

jonny1
02-04-2012, 07:32 AM
and the kool-aid cup gets even bigger.. Like you know if this is a good move or not or if he even did it. We know the Orton move worked exactly as Elway planned... LOL

IF you think about it Elway probably HAD to do this because the financial aspect is probably somehting that falls under his responsibility and because he is an ex-athlete - NOT a business person = he was probably in way over his head. I wonder how much the old guy got paid and the new guy is getting paid to basically do what Elway is supposed to be doing.

That is probably why Elway is flying coach too.. because he knows he is costing the Broncos twice as much and not even fulfilling his job. So not only is he not capable of doing what other executives do but we don't even know if he can develop QBs which is supposed to be what he brings to the table. He sure does interviews good tho.. that is all he seems to be really capable of doing. He's a show pony - the Fountainhead...

Just stop.

MacGruder
02-04-2012, 07:36 AM
Just stop.

Stop looking at reality?

houghtam
02-04-2012, 09:33 AM
Just stop.

And this is why 90% of the board has MacGruder on ignore (and soon you will too!).

Someone please remind MacGruder what Elway's degree is in, and how many years he worked in business?

Oh what's the use?

montrose
02-04-2012, 09:59 AM

Isn't it the same thing Xanders is supposed to be good at?

He's responsible for the majority of the roster, Bleum was the cap guru around there not Xanders. Moves like Broderick Bunkley, Jonathan Wilhite, Rafael Bush, Daniel Fells, Chris Harris, etc. - that's Brian Xanders. He and Matt Russell head up this stuff.

Also per Xanders, this is from yesterday: http://stationcaster.com/player_skin...c=743&f=388591

oubronco
02-04-2012, 10:01 AM
The link don't work bro

MacGruder
02-04-2012, 10:25 AM
And this is why 90% of the board has MacGruder on ignore (and soon you will too!).

Someone please remind MacGruder what Elway's degree is in, and how many years he worked in business?

Oh what's the use?

We aren't talking about running a used car lot here.. we are talking about running a billion dollar business. The people put in these positions are the elite in their field.. Elway is like a community college QB trying to compete with blue chippers.. We know how athletes are handled in college as well.

Mogulseeker
02-04-2012, 10:30 AM
So this Sullivan can play Defensive Tackle, right?

His profile said he played QB briefly, but never stook in the NFL.

Mogulseeker
02-04-2012, 10:33 AM
MacGruder is like the Andy Dick of Mane threads.He shows up and the thread dies.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/X9Zkq9id-9A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MacGruder
02-04-2012, 10:40 AM
If only I were Elway.. then you would spin it as if I saved the universe with each post.. no matter what I did...

NFLBRONCO
02-04-2012, 10:49 AM
Why wait until 2013? I'm hoping this is a sign that Bowlen is actually going to spend up to the limit this year, so he and Elway want someone who can maximize their flexibility and value per dollar.

Xanders is the guy who does it now. Either this move is because they consider his workload too heavy or he's being further marginalized/soon to be released.

I just figured Bowlen would wait til 2013 for new cba ceiling thing to kick in before going crazy in FA.

Mogulseeker
02-04-2012, 11:05 AM
This message is hidden because MacGruder is on your ignore list.
^

R8R H8R
02-04-2012, 03:13 PM

This is a positive for Xanders, imo. Two people got promotions under Xanders, Russell and the guy that moved up into Russell's former job. They probably report directly to Xanders, so that reflects positively on Xanders.

With this hire, Xanders can focus strictly on evaluating personnel, and that is fine by me.

One more thing, Jeff Legold reported that the Broncos will concentrate on "value" in FA this year. I know some will take that as just being cheap, while others will see it as being selective with limited resources. Nonetheless, Sullivan will be responsible to get these "value FA's" signed, I'm sure.

Drek
02-04-2012, 07:30 PM
One more thing, Jeff Legold reported that the Broncos will concentrate on "value" in FA this year. I know some will take that as just being cheap, while others will see it as being selective with limited resources. Nonetheless, Sullivan will be responsible to get these "value FA's" signed, I'm sure.

I'm all about "value" FA signings. Big dollar FA signings rarely pan out well. You need to find the young contributing depth guy on a good team who's ready to take the next step forward. That is why I wouldn't go after Lofton or Jackson for MLB and would instead go after Dan Connor. Its why I'd pass on Landry and Goldson and instead go after Zbikowski for safety. Its why I'd probably let some other team go crazy for Finnegan while we grab Mathis on the cheap when Jacksonville lets him walk, though he doesn't fit the young aspect, he does seem like he'll be undervalued in this market.

That is what we should be looking for. But unlike last off-season we actually have to sign some guys at need positions, not just wait and get guys who don't get starting offers or better than league minimum money anywhere else.