PDA

View Full Version : How do you grade Elway's 2011 year as VP

Bronco Yoda
02-03-2012, 03:19 PM
How does everyone feel about John's performance at VP so far. I think he did a very good job considering what he walked into.

I believe he's really changed the culture of the Broncos. It seems he's done a great job at reorganizing the the team and set it on a true course forward.

To be sure there have been a few controversies and a few small steps here and there I didn't necessarily agree with. But I'm still glad he chose to take Bowlen's challenge to rebuild our gutted out team. IMO he's going to be a great Head Honcho and great for our team.

Thanks John! Keep up the good work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smiling Assassin27
02-03-2012, 03:21 PM
Good solid B.

bowtown
02-03-2012, 03:21 PM
S for Sabotage.

Butterscotch Stallion
02-03-2012, 03:22 PM
I give him a B. Should have started Tebow in week 1 and Should have beheaded McCoy with a butterknife. Otherwise, solid job.

Taco John
02-03-2012, 03:22 PM
A+

How could anyone grade any lower if results are what matters?

KO5K
02-03-2012, 03:26 PM
Not all that highly, maybe a C+.

Mogulseeker
02-03-2012, 03:34 PM
Def a B bordering on A.

We reached our goal - to win the division. Hard to argue with that.

Tombstone RJ
02-03-2012, 03:37 PM
I'll gladly give him a B. He had a lot of crap to deal with and he plowed through it all. He scored on the #1 pick which is always good. He got a good FA in McGahee. I very much like the Fox hire and it looks like he's replaced the DC with a solid coach in Del Rio.

Add a playoff win into the mix and he did a solid job. However, he does not get an A because there was still some things he either did or DIDN'T do that I still am wondering about.

Killericon
02-03-2012, 03:40 PM
A+

By this logic, A+ should be reserved for a Superbowl win.

jhns
02-03-2012, 03:45 PM
B

I like the draft. I like some of the FA pickups. I liked the final outcome.

There are two reasons I don't give him an A.

1. He got rid of both starting recievers, without bringing in a single guy. DT was also still recovering, then took another injury. They switch to a young QB and give him very little to work with.

2. The decision to start Orton early. This was probably a coaching decision, but Fox is his coach. That one decision almost took a playoff team to another top 5 pick. If they had switched one game later, this team doesn't go to the playoffs. That is a pretty big screwup. If Tebow doesn't work out, we will be screwed at QB. They couldn't pick the best out of four. How in the world do they expect to pick the best out of a much larger pool of talent? They watched those four every day. They won't have that advantage in the draft and FA.

Powderaddict
02-03-2012, 03:48 PM
I gave him a B+. They stuck with Orton to long.

But then, that might have been Fox's decision, I doubt it though.

Good first season, loved the Fox hire, love the Miller pick, all in all I'm very happy.

jutang
02-03-2012, 03:51 PM
Definitely an A. Drafting #2 to #25. Net difference of 23... that's gotta be up there with all time turn arounds in one season.

Binkythefrog
02-03-2012, 03:55 PM
As long as the team continues to improve in terms of wins and losses each year - he'll get an A in my book given that the NFL is full of 32 FO's with smart people (ok those outside of KC and OAK) who know what they are doing.

I'll even cut him some slack if the Broncos have one down year due to injuries/etc a couple bad decisions because I believe his job is extremely difficult.

go_broncos
02-03-2012, 04:09 PM
F..He needs to stop criticizing Tebow and work on getting good OC

Spider
02-03-2012, 04:58 PM
A+ .....it is Elway

OBF1
02-03-2012, 05:05 PM
I give him a high C

I do not agree with a number of the decisions made or his "public" handling of the Tim Tebow situation. I think he is heading in the right direction, but it will take another year or two until he settles in and gets a true grasp of his new position.

Spider
02-03-2012, 05:06 PM
S for Sabotage.

:~ohyah!:

OBF1
02-03-2012, 05:06 PM
A+ .....it is Elway

You can not give him an A+... He not only started playing Tebow in week 5, He kept playing him the entire year.

spider logic: Ultimate failure.

Spider
02-03-2012, 05:09 PM
You can not give him an A+... He not only started playing Tebow in week 5, He kept playing him the entire year.

spider logic: Ultimate failure.

Hilarious! you should have answered , waiting to hear what tebow says ......
Of course I can give him an A+ the draft kicked ass , he brought in Fox , and tebow isnt that good , not right now .......

Play2win
02-03-2012, 05:11 PM
The only gaffe was Gaffe ;D

TheReverend
02-03-2012, 05:22 PM
spider logic

I'd put more money on unicorns and bigfoot existing than that.

OBF1
02-03-2012, 05:28 PM
No shiat

HAT
02-03-2012, 05:40 PM
A+

8-8 is the definition of average...AKA "C" when translated into a letter grade.

TheReverend
02-03-2012, 05:44 PM
8-8 is the definition of average...AKA "C" when translated into a letter grade.

While I agree, I'd bump it up a letter grade due to the playoff win.

...and bump it back down 1 for some wildly amateurish public statements.

Ratboy
02-03-2012, 05:46 PM
A

I am not sure how you can give him much less.

bronco militia
02-03-2012, 05:47 PM
just waiving orton was kind of dumb.......

B+

TheReverend
02-03-2012, 05:48 PM

B+

Trading Gaffney for nothing.

Trading Lloyd for almost nothing.

Leaving us with the ingredients for the most drops per attempt in the league.

Tried for Luck. Ended up with a playoff win.

yerner
02-03-2012, 05:51 PM
Elway gets B. Good draft. Good coach. Let Tebow know he can suck his dong.

bronco militia
02-03-2012, 06:00 PM
:~ohyah!:Trading Gaffney for nothing.

that was all part of the plan!

duh!

KO5K
02-03-2012, 06:16 PM
Am I the only one thinks this years draft is overrated?

I don't see much future for this draft class outside of Miller, Franklin and Carter.

TheReverend
02-03-2012, 06:23 PM
Am I the only one thinks this years draft is overrated?

I don't see much future for this draft class outside of Miller, Franklin and Carter.

3 solid players in one draft isn't too shabby.

Also far too soon to write off Moore or the TEs. Irving I'm not too optimistic about.

Hamrob
02-03-2012, 06:24 PM
Are you kidding me. Some of your expectations are off the charts.

He came in and took over a 4-12 team who was picking #2 overall
He had to replace the headcoach and made an excellent choice
He was dealing with the lockout, and still made things happen
He made his first round pick count, in a big way
He brought in Magahee and traded for Bunkley (Genius)
His draft overall seems to be a pretty good one so far
He fielded a team that brought excitement back to Broncos Football
He has shown support for Tebow, but not allowed himself to jump off the deep end

I'd say...given all that he had to encounter....he did an "A"mazing job!!!

HAT
02-03-2012, 06:26 PM
While I agree, I'd bump it up a letter grade due to the playoff win.

...and bump it back down 1 for some wildly amateurish public statements.

I don't really mind the public statements but I'm also not going to give a GM credit for an on sides kick recovery, Novak missing 2 FG's or Barber fumbling/not staying IB.

Anyway, I'm not sure GM's should be graded on on field results exclusively.

Really, since 2006, Denver has been basically a 6 win team talent wise.

Shanny was a good enough coach to coax a few more W's to average 8-8.
McD's youth & inexperience took them right back down to their talent level at 6-10......Nothing really changed this year with TEFX. Basically a 6 win team that got a few breaks and took full advantage of them. Just as easily could have finished 5-11 or 9-7.

Like any draft prospect, Elway will best be judged 3-4 years from now.

If they are a still a team that will finish with between 5-9 wins any given year depending on scheduling, injuries & random bounces of a football, then he will have failed.

If they are a team that consistently posts double digit wins and home PO games despite the randomness of the NFL, he will have succeeded.

I don't think there's a very good chance for the latter with both Fox & Tebow in Denver. One or both will be gone headed into 2013. Hopefully it's Fox.

Mogulseeker
02-03-2012, 06:40 PM
I think, more importantly, that Elway proved that he wasn't just a PR hire. He proved to be a smart, competent, and competitive manager.

TheReverend
02-03-2012, 06:43 PM
I don't think there's a very good chance for the latter with both Fox & Tebow in Denver. One or both will be gone headed into 2013. Hopefully it's Fox.

I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised by a LOT of growth from a LOT of guys on this team in the 2012 season.

An active FA and a solid draft (doesnt need to be great) draft will have this team ultra competitive ultra fast.

strafen
02-03-2012, 06:50 PM
Just the turnaround alone deserves an A
Division champs and a play-off win. That's as good as it gets with what we've had.

They've all (F.O) had this season to evaluate what our strengths and our deficiencies were.
We lack an impact player on our defensive front.
It's at the end of next season when they really should be evaluated on, and see how well they addressed those issues

I'd wait after FA and the draft to see where we're heading into next season and assess our chances...

MortonToMoses
02-03-2012, 07:07 PM
I looked at it this way.
A= greatly exceeded expections
B= exceeded expections
C=met expections
D=did not meet expections
F=Josh McDaniels

I gave him an A. For a three year rebuilding process, this was a great first year.

ColoradoDarin
02-03-2012, 08:46 PM
Negatives:
Not trading/cutting Orton prior to the season.
Stupid PR statements in the beginning of the year.

Positives:
Trading for Buckney.
Signing McGahee.
Draft.

I dunno - I'll say a solid B.

Al Wilson
02-03-2012, 09:35 PM
People need to put their love for Tebow aside, and look at the big picture. Nobody thought this team had the talent to win 8 games or make the playoffs. Elway had a great draft other than the Rahim Moore (I still think he's going to be a bust) pick. He had some great FA pickups (McGahee), and couple of good trades (Bunkley). He definitely deserves an A+ for his first year. Great job John on getting this franchise back on track.

Bronco Yoda
02-03-2012, 09:55 PM
Negatives:
Stupid PR statements in the beginning of the year.

Positives:
Trading for Buckney.
Signing McGahee.
Draft.

I dunno - I'll say a solid B.

Getting rid of Gaffney still is a head scratcher to me.

Turd_Ferguson
02-03-2012, 10:10 PM
I gave him a B, but I kinda wanted to give him an incomplete... I really liked the Fox hire, and also loved the Del Rio hire. Finally after years of crappy defense, the front office is showing a solid effort to fix the defense. Offense is coming along after being completely dismantled by the previous regime, and further by cleaning house on the people that didn't want to be there.

Elway's only controversy has come with Tebow, which is unavoidable when the guy is loved by half the population and hated by the other. . . Hopefully this next season is the last year of the Tebow crap one way or the other. He either improves a lot, or they start the moving on process.

All in all how can you judge a front office guy based on one lockout shortened season?

Cito Pelon
02-03-2012, 10:13 PM
I said C, maybe that's a little too harsh. Traded Gaffney for a cheeseburger. The draft was a B to C. 2 of the top 4 picks didn't accomplish anything, Moore at #45 and Irving at #67. The TE's they drafted did zero. Chris Harris ended up being the star new guy behind Miller and Franklin.

TheReverend
02-03-2012, 10:13 PM
Negatives:

That's the main one to me.

In one fell swoop we could've played Tebow all season, gotten him all the first team reps in camp and pre-season and fielded a more competitive product all 16 weeks.

Thats not even taking into account how the money saved from Orton could've paid for a stud at an ABSOLUTE need position and cog for the future like Johnathan Joseph (who played a HUGE roll in Houston's revamped D, first team all-pro and went to the probowl, mind you).

And THAT'S not even taking into account potential compensation had we completed a trade.

HUGE error that may have cost us a LOT.

Mogulseeker
02-03-2012, 11:27 PM
John's biggest error is the amount of steak fries they give you at Elway's Ritz Carleton.

Seriously, you order prime rib with a side of steak fries and it's like two meals.

enjolras
02-03-2012, 11:51 PM

B+

I thought so at the time, but I do wonder how that will play with free agents. They did what was best for Orton, not necessarily the Broncos. That a team respects players like that HAS to translate to some increased good will at the very least.

enjolras
02-03-2012, 11:52 PM
Oh and while were at it... the Del Rio signing makes this a solid A for me.

Cito Pelon
02-04-2012, 12:36 AM
John's biggest error is the amount of steak fries they give you at Elway's Ritz Carleton.

Seriously, you order prime rib with a side of steak fries and it's like two meals.

I'd take the baked potato.

Drek
02-04-2012, 06:25 AM
I'd give him a C.

Did solid in the draft. Miller is a stud but then we had the #2 overall pick and a team at #1 intent on overpicking a QB. He was 50/50 on the other high value picks we had (2 2nds, 3rd, very early 4th) selecting Franklin and Carter as successes, Moore and Irving as guys who did nothing for us this year. Hopefully the last two start to contribute in 2012, but as of now its an ok, not great draft record.

McGahee was a good value signing but he also failed to address our needs at DT, CB, and MLB in free agency.

Bunkley was a good trade but he gave Gaffney away for nothing, settled for weak compensation on Lloyd, and surrendered a comp pick to KC just to save a couple million this season when releasing Orton.

Hired John Fox who added much needed stability to this staff and brought in a few key coaching upgrades. But he retained about half of the coaching staff McDaniels already had in place to go along with 80% of McDaniels' players.

We were 1-4 until we switched to a QB he'd given a pretty clear "no confidence" vote in up until that point. I don't see why we'd give a ton of credit to the FO for the sudden mid-season surge and the playoff win when they were busy taking away assets going into it (trading Lloyd).

In the end I'd say he did more good than harm, but not by much. We squandered an off-season loaded with talent at our key needs (DT and #2 CB most notably). There is no second bite at that apple this off-season as the DT and CB pool are nowhere near as good as last year's. We'll have to make due with less established solutions in hopes that we find a diamond in the rough. The FO also needs to show an ability to draft difference makers when not given top of the round selections to work with.

Now if we're working under the premise that last year was a "see what you have" year then it gets an incomplete and they've got a lot to prove this off-season. We should now know what we have and that means knowing that starting the likes of Goodman, Mays, a DT rotation of Bunkley, Thomas, et al., etc. is not going to cut it. This team has enough young difference makers to take over this division long term just as long as the FO gives them the right mix of young vets and savvy draft picks that shore up our weaknesses and let the coaches loosen the reigns.

waz06
02-04-2012, 08:46 AM
Considering he is still learning on the job the results were a pleasant surprise

Dr. Broncenstein
02-04-2012, 09:10 AM
I can't decide between:

P for projecting, or B for Betrayal.

barryr
02-04-2012, 09:11 AM
I think he is doing a good job so far. To be great in the near future, he will need at least 2 more really good drafts, if not great ones, and to sign decent talent at least in free agency. I would rather he didn't tweet so much though. Once in awhile maybe, but I would rather he keep some things to himself since we have too much of a gotcha society, just looking for someone to say anything they can twist.

Dr. Broncenstein
02-04-2012, 09:16 AM

Wanted to rep this because I loled....

ColoradoDarin
02-04-2012, 11:39 AM
That's the main one to me.

In one fell swoop we could've played Tebow all season, gotten him all the first team reps in camp and pre-season and fielded a more competitive product all 16 weeks.

Thats not even taking into account how the money saved from Orton could've paid for a stud at an ABSOLUTE need position and cog for the future like Johnathan Joseph (who played a HUGE roll in Houston's revamped D, first team all-pro and went to the probowl, mind you).

And THAT'S not even taking into account potential compensation had we completed a trade.

HUGE error that may have cost us a LOT.

Add the way Miami basically owned us in the PR on the non-trade to the way they subsequently handled the Orton/Tebow "competition"

chanesaw
02-04-2012, 11:58 AM
I gave him an A

Didn't blame him for us playing Orton, that is a coach's decision. Don't want the VP meddling.

Brought in the right head coach and def cord.

Made smart FA signing and draft picks.

Saved Bowlen $$ with the Orton release. Maybe he won't be so tight this year.

Traded Lloyd, left us thin at WR but we weren't gonna re-sign him anyway so at least we got something for him.

Helped change the culture of the team.

Pretty good job for a rookie.

Things he didn't do well:

Didn't get the pre-season Orton deal done.

Traded Gaffney, I wish he was still on the team. Would have rather traded Lloyd pre-season.

Hasn't handled the whole Tebow thing very well, but if he follows through with his claim to work with him during the offseason that will more than make up for it. Plus we need somebody to keep the fans grounded at times.

Dedhed
02-04-2012, 12:11 PM
C overall, but a mixture of As and Fs to get there.

I thought the draft and FA were handled very well. Much better than any year in the last 15.

I thought dealing Gaffney and not dealing Orton were utter failures. The latter of which made camp and the early part of the season a complete circus.

I think he also deserves an F for his public comments regarding Tebow. I don't care if he doesn't believe in the guy long term, but during the season there should have been nothing but canned supportive responses to questions regarding Tebow.

So it was a mixed bag of great and terrible, imo, that lead to an overall average.

I think he's off to a tremendous start this off season with the coaching and FO additions, and hopefully we have an equally solid draft and FA period going into 2012.

Broncs Zoo
02-04-2012, 12:19 PM
I really don't see what he could have done better, so it's an A

John Elway proved he is more than competent as the leader of the Broncos

Broncs Zoo
02-04-2012, 12:22 PM
C overall, but a mixture of As and Fs to get there.

I thought the draft and FA were handled very well. Much better than any year in the last 15.

I thought dealing Gaffney and not dealing Orton were utter failures. The latter of which made camp and the early part of the season a complete circus.

I think he also deserves an F for his public comments regarding Tebow. I don't care if he doesn't believe in the guy long term, but during the season there should have been nothing but canned supportive responses to questions regarding Tebow.

So it was a mixed bag of great and terrible, imo, that lead to an overall average.

I think he's off to a tremendous start this off season with the coaching and FO additions, and hopefully we have an equally solid draft and FA period going into 2012.

How in the hell is it a C??

Elway had a good draft, managed an extremely delicate QB situation he did not create, and had the second best free agent signing of all players in Willis McGahee. Additionally, he fixed an ongoing problem at DT well enough for the defense to improve, and hired a well respected, veteran coach in John Fox that calmed down the locker room and restored order to the team. They also made significant improvements to the defense and special teams from the year before.

The Orton situation was not Elway's fault, he could not force Miami or any other team to trade for Orton, and that's what happened. Once Orton returned to the team, it was Fox's call as to who started. Fox made the call for Orton for the veteran's in the locker room who saw Orton clearly outplay Tebow in the preseason. Fox had no real choice but to let Orton start, or how could he sell it to the vets that the best players play?

...and by ALL accounts, the team reached the final eight, which exceeded everyone's reasonable expectations for this season.

That's a GREAT job to me.

You're a tough critic, and I think you are factoring in style points, such as the Orton release that was really insignificant.

Jason7730
02-04-2012, 12:34 PM

Elway had a good draft, managed an extremely delicate QB situation he did not create, and had the second best free agent signing of all players in Willis McGahee. Additionally, he fixed an ongoing problem at DT well enough for the defense to improve, and hired a well respected, veteran coach in John Fox that calmed down the locker room and restored order to the team. They also made significant improvements to the defense and special teams from the year before.

The Orton situation was not Elway's fault, he could not force Miami or any other team to trade for Orton, and that's what happened. Once Orton returned to the team, it was Fox's call as to who started. Fox made the call for Orton for the veteran's in the locker room who saw Orton clearly outplay Tebow in the preseason. Fox had no real choice but to let Orton start, or how could he sell it to the vets that the best players play?

...and by ALL accounts, the team reached the final eight, which exceeded everyone's reasonable expectations for this season.

That's a GREAT job to me.

You're a tough critic, and I think you are factoring in style points, such as the Orton release that was really insignificant.

^ +1

delany
02-04-2012, 01:17 PM

When Elway first took this job he laid out certain objectives based on what he perceived as going wrong during the McD era....among those items was having more transparency and honesty between the F\O and fans (hence the twitter account et al).

You might disagree with honesty being the best policy for a VP but it is hard to fault John for setting an objective and living by it.

As a 1st term VP without any prior experience in the position, given the team turmoil and the unrest with the fanbase ....he deserves an A. Not perfect...but definitely an A.

However, 2nd year expectations go up. It is true for players. It is true for coaches. It is true for VPs of Operations.

Dedhed
02-04-2012, 01:21 PM

Umm...I explained exactly why it was a C, imo.

Dedhed
02-04-2012, 01:24 PM
You might disagree with honesty being the best policy for a VP but it is hard to fault John for setting an objective and living by it.

There's a reason why no coach or GM is honest with the media. I have no problem with honesty, but it's counterproductive if it undermines unity.

It would be like a QB in a press conference saying that the reason they lost was because the OL sucks and the WRs cant catch. Very well could be the truth, but it would be dumb and counterproductive to take that approach.

I think Elway's comment are similar.

R8R H8R
02-04-2012, 01:44 PM
I think, more importantly, that Elway proved that he wasn't just a PR hire. He proved to be a smart, competent, and competitive manager.

This pretty much sums it up for me. I really believe we are in real good hands for the long-term. As far as a grade goes, he gets an "A" from me just for the Fox hire; and as far as personnel decisions go, we went from laughing stock of the league to a playoff winner. That should speak for itself.

Durango
02-04-2012, 01:47 PM
I'd give him a C.

Did solid in the draft. Miller is a stud but then we had the #2 overall pick and a team at #1 intent on overpicking a QB. He was 50/50 on the other high value picks we had (2 2nds, 3rd, very early 4th) selecting Franklin and Carter as successes, Moore and Irving as guys who did nothing for us this year. Hopefully the last two start to contribute in 2012, but as of now its an ok, not great draft record.

McGahee was a good value signing but he also failed to address our needs at DT, CB, and MLB in free agency.

Bunkley was a good trade but he gave Gaffney away for nothing, settled for weak compensation on Lloyd, and surrendered a comp pick to KC just to save a couple million this season when releasing Orton.

Hired John Fox who added much needed stability to this staff and brought in a few key coaching upgrades. But he retained about half of the coaching staff McDaniels already had in place to go along with 80% of McDaniels' players.

We were 1-4 until we switched to a QB he'd given a pretty clear "no confidence" vote in up until that point. I don't see why we'd give a ton of credit to the FO for the sudden mid-season surge and the playoff win when they were busy taking away assets going into it (trading Lloyd).

In the end I'd say he did more good than harm, but not by much...

Difficult to understand some people. This management/coaching staff managed to completely turn around a franchise slipping into insignificance, take a division title and knock off the vaunted Steelers ALL without an off-season, a brand new coaching staff and complete flux at QB.

Unbelievably impressive stuff. This staff deserves an A, if not an A+.

Drek
02-04-2012, 07:06 PM

Elway had a good draft,
He was spotted the #2 overall pick which was really the #1 because Carolina over picked for a "franchise" QB. If he couldn't get that right we would be talking about how long until he gets fired. He then went 50/50 on his remaining high value picks, getting us a flawed but projectable RT and a solid safety, while up to this point getting literally zero worthwhile production out of another safety and a MLB drafted in the 2nd and 3rd respectively. McDaniels' last draft produced Tebow, D. Thomas, Beadles, Walton, and Decker in the first three rounds. No one is busy sucking his dick over his draft record. Lets see if Moore and Irving become anything worthwhile before we gargle Elway's balls.

managed an extremely delicate QB situation he did not create,
You mean poured fuel on the fire by refusing to give any kind of legitimate confidence vote in the young QB who was winning us games on Sunday. This is a negative aspect of his management here, not a positive.

and had the second best free agent signing of all players in Willis McGahee.
McGahee was a good signing he fell ass backwards into after getting outbid for Deangelo Williams. Meanwhile he ignored absolute steals at two major need positions, CB and DT, both of which plagued us all season long and kept us from doing better than we did. You put Mebane on the DL and Joseph as the #2 CB and this team wins 10-12 games, dominates the division, and might just have stood a real shot against the Pats.

Additionally, he fixed an ongoing problem at DT well enough for the defense to improve,
Adding one DT who isn't completely aweful doesn't mean we fixed anything. Bunkley is a solid run stopper who offers nothing in run support. he's a #2 DT on a middle of the road team and a #3 rotational DT on a good team. Again, lets not blow him being less ****ty at his job than everyone else out of proportion while racing to choke on Elway's cock.

and hired a well respected, veteran coach in John Fox that calmed down the locker room and restored order to the team.
Yep, made a pretty good choice with Fox, though about half of the coaching staff was already in place for him.

They also made significant improvements to the defense and special teams from the year before.
The FO made two, maybe three improvements. Miller, Carter, and Bunkley. The majority of this team was already in place. It was just much better coached, which we covered above. You can't give double credit on that.

The special teams are all the same key contributors as last year's team. Maybe a bit better coaching, but really the STs improvement has hinged upon getting a K/P tandem who are actually good at their job. The new FO weren't the ones who acquired them and the current coaching staff aren't the guys who coached them up to being good NFL players.

For a team that acted like they were incredibly cap strapped why did they retain Orton period? We could have released him outright and saved all $9M which could then be used for worthwhile additions. Tebow took the job from Orton last year. Elway's inability to resolve the contractual conflict of a $9M backup then forced Fox to make a decision that should have never even been his.

Sure, after finally replacing Orton with Tebow and having a lot of breaks go their way. But letting the end results blind you to the path that got you there is being the ultimate homer.

Difficult to understand some people. This management/coaching staff managed to completely turn around a franchise slipping into insignificance, take a division title and knock off the vaunted Steelers ALL without an off-season, a brand new coaching staff and complete flux at QB.

Unbelievably impressive stuff. This staff deserves an A, if not an A+.

They completed turned around a franchise by keeping over 80% of the previous regime's players and 50% of their coaches. They then started 1-4 and when the only significant change was putting in the previous regime's QBOTF they suddenly start winning. So just how much credit does the FO deserve for that? Especially after they went out of their way to avoid playing said QBOTF.

And the complete flux at QB was due to the FO mangling the **** out of the situation in the off-season. At the expense of key FA acquisitions I might add, tying $9M up in a QB who won us 1 game and lost us 4. Pretty damn expensive win.