PDA

View Full Version : Dawkins

MABroncoFan
02-01-2012, 10:50 AM
http://broncotalk.net/2012/02/29121/broncos-blog/broncos-will-face-19-unrestricted-free-agents/

I keep seeing Dawkins listed as an unrestricted FA. I thought he still had 2 more years on the deal he originally signed w/ us?

bowtown
02-01-2012, 10:54 AM
Wide receiver Matthew Willis (27, 6-0, 190 lbs.) has the potential to become the next Miles Austin. We’ll find out if the Broncos agree.

WHAT?

enjolras
02-01-2012, 10:56 AM
WHAT?

I think Willis has the chance to be very good. Particularly when he is paired with a QB who can get throw him open. He'd be a really nice addition for a team like the Falcons or Saints.

bowtown
02-01-2012, 10:58 AM
I think Willis has the chance to be very good. Particularly when he is paired with a QB who can get throw him open. He'd be a really nice addition for a team like the Falcons or Saints.

What does that have anything to do with Miles Austin? They aren't similar really at all.

Rabb
02-01-2012, 11:10 AM
What does that have anything to do with Miles Austin? They aren't similar really at all.

they are both African American wide receivers, duh

BroncoBuff
02-01-2012, 11:13 AM
Rotational linebacker/defensive end Mario Haggan (31, 6-3, 274 lbs.) was a key part of Denver’s special teams last season and replaced rookie linebacker Von Miller on passing downs in several games.

What? Replaced him where, on the bench?

Endy
02-01-2012, 11:27 AM
So, what I essentially got out of that article is that the Broncos will try to re-sign all the really good UFA's and could possibly sign all the others.

In other news, two really good teams are playing in the SuperBowl this Sunday and one of them will definitely win. The fans of the other team will probably be upset about not winning. The fans of the winning team will be happier.

Back to you Tom.

eddie mac
02-01-2012, 05:47 PM
The Broncos picked up his option last season so he is not a UFA unless some triggers were/were not hit this season that releases him from the deal. Either way he wont be back earning $6m plus, that is for sure.

Ratboy
02-01-2012, 05:54 PM
What? Replaced him where, on the bench?

In a lot of passing situations.

eddie mac
02-01-2012, 05:59 PM
I wouldn't be worrying too much about our guys bar Prater, Bunkley and at a reach Thomas and Woodyard as rotational players/back-ups.
If any of the rest have to be re-signed they shouldn't be earning more than 1 year minimum salary deals based on their NFL careers to date.

Brady Quinn 18th ranked FA QB
Spencer Larsen 12th ranked FB
Eddie Royal 21st ranked WR
Matt Willis 43rd ranked WR
Fells 16th ranked TE
Rosario 22nd ranked TE
Hochstein 28th ranked OG
Hunter 29th ranked DE
Harvey 31st ranked DE
Bunkley 9th ranked DT
Thomas 15th ranked DT
McBean 25th ranked DT
Woodyard 8th ranked OLB
Haggan 14th ranked OLB
Mays 13th ranked ILB
Wilhite 46th ranked CB
Prater 2nd ranked K

I would even go as far to say that none of these players bar Prater (and we dont really count kickers) are top or even 2nd tier free agents in 2012 and none will get a sniff of a contract offer (unless it's from us) within the first 1-2 weeks of free agency.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-01-2012, 06:00 PM
In a lot of passing situations.

Yes, Von Miller, the pass rusher, was often replaced on passing downs by mario haggan

KipCorrington25
02-01-2012, 06:03 PM
Willis was decent on special teams but did nothing at WR, that drop on the final drive against KC will be hard to forget.

Killericon
02-01-2012, 06:04 PM
Yes, Von Miller, the pass rusher, was often replaced on passing downs by mario haggan

Von moved to DE, and Haggan took Von's spot at OLB, IIRC.

BroncoBeavis
02-01-2012, 06:10 PM
http://broncotalk.net/2012/02/29121/broncos-blog/broncos-will-face-19-unrestricted-free-agents/

I keep seeing Dawkins listed as an unrestricted FA. I thought he still had 2 more years on the deal he originally signed w/ us?

I thought that same thing a couple days ago. Then I found out he restructured last summer to take a paycut and cut his deal off earlier (so he could stay with the Broncos)

http://denver.sbnation.com/denver-broncos/2011/8/10/2355254/brian-dawkins-contract-denver-broncos

Mogulseeker
02-01-2012, 06:11 PM
1. We need to resign Bunkley, Prater and maybe Haggan and Willis (because of versitility - can play DE or any LB spot).

2. Woodyard would be nice to keep, but I'm sure he's looking to start somewhere.

3. Same goes for Royal, who will probably be a Redskin.

4. Von was never out on passing downs. The article must have meant rushing downs.

5. We need a TE - either resign Fells, or judging by that list sign someone higher.

6. We need a CB. I would prefer this in the draft.

LRtagger
02-01-2012, 06:25 PM
Von moved to DE, and Haggan took Von's spot at OLB, IIRC.

Dont think so. Von moved to DE, Ayers moved to DT, and the nickle CB replaced Von. Woodyard sometimes replaced Mays.

Mogulseeker
02-01-2012, 06:26 PM
Dont think so. Von moved to DE, Ayers moved to DT, and the nickle CB replaced Von. Woodyard sometimes replaced Mays.

Yup. The article is wrong.

gyldenlove
02-01-2012, 06:27 PM

Willis couldn't catch the flu in a hospital ward full of sick people - his focus on the ball is atrocious, his route running is mediocre, he lacks top end speed and quickness, he is not a natural leaper and he doesn't block all that well - he just has pro-bowl WR written all over him.

Butterscotch Stallion
02-01-2012, 07:05 PM
von was replaced many times. He struggled against the run. I know he was the sole reason we won the division and all, but he did struggle at times. He wasn't christian so we rarely jumped on him here.

broncosteven
02-01-2012, 07:31 PM
I wouldn't be worrying too much about our guys bar Prater, Bunkley and at a reach Thomas and Woodyard as rotational players/back-ups.
If any of the rest have to be re-signed they shouldn't be earning more than 1 year minimum salary deals based on their NFL careers to date.

Brady Quinn 18th ranked FA QB
Spencer Larsen 12th ranked FB
Eddie Royal 21st ranked WR
Matt Willis 43rd ranked WR
Fells 16th ranked TE
Rosario 22nd ranked TE
Hochstein 28th ranked OG
Hunter 29th ranked DE
Harvey 31st ranked DE
Bunkley 9th ranked DT
Thomas 15th ranked DT
McBean 25th ranked DT
Woodyard 8th ranked OLB
Haggan 14th ranked OLB
Mays 13th ranked ILB
Wilhite 46th ranked CB
Prater 2nd ranked K

I would even go as far to say that none of these players bar Prater (and we dont really count kickers) are top or even 2nd tier free agents in 2012 and none will get a sniff of a contract offer (unless it's from us) within the first 1-2 weeks of free agency.

I cannot wait to see Hockstein hit the street, we really need to upgrade LG, making Beadles a backup and allowing them to cut Hockstein.

I didn't realize HAM only got 1 year to go HAM for us.

I would like to see Hunter, Fells, Thomas (only because we keep undervaluing the DT position), Prater, an Wills back, everyone else is replaceable and likely whomever brought in at those positions would be immediate upgrades.

srphoenix
02-01-2012, 07:36 PM
Willis couldn't catch the flu in a hospital ward full of sick people - his focus on the ball is atrocious, his route running is mediocre, he lacks top end speed and quickness, he is not a natural leaper and he doesn't block all that well - he just has pro-bowl WR written all over him.

but he was in ninja warrior! insta-pro bowler

Cito Pelon
02-01-2012, 08:57 PM
Dennis Allen could raid our roster to get his program going, wouldn't be surprising.

bronco militia
02-01-2012, 09:01 PM
von was replaced many times. He struggled against the run. I know he was the sole reason we won the division and all, but he did struggle at times. He wasn't christian so we rarely jumped on him here.

yes and no....Von had trouble in the nickle when he lined up as a DE. Teams started to run and pass right at him. IMO, Coach Allen was slow to adjust to what offenses were doing to Von.

Dedhed
02-01-2012, 09:14 PM
Dennis Allen could raid our roster to get his program going, wouldn't be surprising.If you're raiding our roster, you've got serious problems.

MABroncoFan
02-04-2012, 09:05 PM
rotoworld...

The NFLPA database does not list Broncos SS Brian Dawkins as being under contract for 2012.
Dawkins' old contract listed him with a 2012 base salary of $6 million, but he appears to be an unrestricted free agent after the Broncos did some kind of tinkering with the deal, either last offseason or during the year. Dawkins has a career-threatening neck injury and may be forced into retirement anyway.

Smilin Assassin
02-04-2012, 09:13 PM
Either way, Dawkins just stated this past week that if he were to play this year, it would only be in Denver.