PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Denied Raiders' Request to Interview Richard Smith (LB Coach)

Borks147
01-30-2012, 08:47 PM
"The Raiders were denied permission by Denver to interview Broncos linebackers coach Richard Smith for Oakland's defensive coordinator job, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7520866/dennis-allen-introduced-new-coach-oakland-raiders

Good. Bastards.

houghtam
01-30-2012, 08:48 PM
inb4 thread

Ironlung
01-30-2012, 09:14 PM
Good. **** Oakland, & **** Allen.

/Thread

TheReverend
01-30-2012, 09:16 PM
OWNED

JCMElway
01-30-2012, 09:19 PM
How do we have the right to deny permission like that? Why not deny the right to interview Allen?

Mogulseeker
01-30-2012, 09:23 PM
How do we have the right to deny permission like that? Why not deny the right to interview Allen?

I think Kaylore went over this in another thread... a team cannot deny a HC position it's a promotion (DC or OC to HC)... but can deny interviews for assistants.

Richard Smith has better future prospects if he stays in Denver anyway.

BigPlayShay
01-30-2012, 09:27 PM
Hahaha, Gary Miller on Channel 4 just called him Benedict Allen.

BowlenBall
01-30-2012, 09:31 PM
I don't think this is good practice, from a management standpoint -- if your employee wants to interview elsewhere, he'll obviously be disgruntled if you deny him the ability to do so, even if it's within your rights to block him.

Seems like a recipe for a negative work environment....

Boobs McGee
01-30-2012, 09:46 PM
I don't think this is good practice, from a management standpoint -- if your employee wants to interview elsewhere, he'll obviously be disgruntled if you deny him the ability to do so, even if it's within your rights to block him.

I'm thinking it went down like this:

Raiders offered an interview, Smith was like "wtf mate? HELL no, there's no way on God's Green Earth I'm going to that ****hole". He then realized that it wouldn't look good to refuse an interview (no one wants to turn down prospective employers, it just doesn't look good), so asked the Broncos to intervene. That's when we covered it up in a big PR Bow.

Eff the faid.

Ratboy
01-30-2012, 09:50 PM

Because Allen wasn't that impressive.

Losing Allen actually benefited us.

houghtam
01-30-2012, 10:19 PM
I'm thinking it went down like this:

Raiders offered an interview, Smith was like "wtf mate? HELL no, there's no way on God's Green Earth I'm going to that ****hole". He then realized that it wouldn't look good to refuse an interview (no one wants to turn down prospective employers, it just doesn't look good), so asked the Broncos to intervene. That's when we covered it up in a big PR Bow.

Eff the faid.

That's actually a pretty good hypothesis. You're right, you never want to turn down an interview, even for a ****ty job. I guess he could have interviewed and just not accepted it, saying that it's just not the right move at this time, but this could have happened as well.

BroncoMan4ever
01-31-2012, 07:32 AM
i thought if it was for an elevated position/promotion that a team couldn't block an interview request?

BroncoBen
01-31-2012, 07:36 AM

I think the move was a lateral move, not to interview to be a head coach. In either case, good for the Broncos. Being nice to Allen is over, he is a raider now.

BroncoBeavis
01-31-2012, 07:41 AM

I also think it's probably treated a little differently with a division rival. Letting coaches walk to a team you play twice a year is kind of a competitive disadvantage. I'm sure the Broncos would've prevented Benedict from interviewing with the Fade if they could have.

Garcia Bronco
01-31-2012, 08:28 AM

What's he gonna do? Stop performing?

Requiem
01-31-2012, 08:32 AM
Allen's going in, he's going in , hE"s ging in. and allens gonna go hard, gonna go hard, gonna go haaaaRDddRddd

Chris
01-31-2012, 08:43 AM
Allen might need to come to Mile High in a pope shield next year

http://b5media_b4.s3.amazonaws.com/28/files/2008/03/popemobile.jpg

Hercules Rockefeller
01-31-2012, 08:47 AM
I think the move was a lateral move, not to interview to be a head coach. In either case, good for the Broncos. Being nice to Allen is over, he is a raider now.

Position coach to coordinator is a promotion and not a lateral move though.

Lev Vyvanse
01-31-2012, 09:15 AM
Position coach to coordinator is a promotion and not a lateral move though.

The rule states all assistant coaches are equal. So going from LB to defensive coordinator is a lateral move.

Kaylore
01-31-2012, 09:25 AM
Yeah the NFL Rules has the hierarchy as follows:

Head Coach
Everyone else with "coach" in the title.

BowlenBall
02-01-2012, 07:17 AM
What's he gonna do? Stop performing?

No, but a little discrete sabotage isn't out of the question. Like getting a copy of the offensive playbook and mailing it anonymously around the league... simple, effective, and doesn't affect your own job performance.

Not that I think that will happen -- just an example of how pissed-off employees can get a little revenge. Keep your workers happy, or let them go.

Beantown Bronco
02-01-2012, 07:35 AM
Like getting a copy of the offensive playbook and mailing it anonymously around the league... simple, effective, and doesn't affect your own job performance.

I'm pretty sure everyone around the league already has that book. It's called "Run, Run, Pass" written by a guy named "QB sneak".

go_broncos
02-01-2012, 08:00 AM
Bad move by Broncos..You don't have right...

BowlenBall
02-01-2012, 08:07 AM
I'm pretty sure everyone around the league already has that book. It's called "Run, Run, Pass" written by a guy named "QB sneak".

Hilarious!

BHamita
02-01-2012, 02:32 PM
Bad move by Broncos..You don't have right...

The NFL says otherwise.

Rabb
02-01-2012, 02:39 PM
Bad post by go_broncos..You don't have smart...

:~ohyah!:

Chris
02-01-2012, 02:45 PM
bad post by right you got no english smart.

Signed,

Raiders fan