PDA

View Full Version : Lazy Del Rio

Swedish Extrovert
01-30-2012, 07:51 PM
Looks like our "lazy" D-coordinator showed up for work a week early. Just sayin'

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19853750

OBF1
01-30-2012, 07:56 PM
Very "Yahoo like" thread title.

There is nothing not to like about this guy. I expect big things from him :thumbs:

Archer81
01-30-2012, 07:59 PM
Well...when you coach for a team in Jacksonville that was in the midst of being sold and having one of the least talented offenses in football...you duck out early. Why should your job ruin your day?

:Broncos:

Missouribronc
01-30-2012, 08:04 PM
Man, I wish the lazy rumors weren't true...

Swedish Extrovert
01-30-2012, 08:15 PM
Well, as that article pointed out, he watched to Pro Bowl to get a look at Dawk, Champ, Von and Doom. He watched the Pro Bowl. That's dedication.

houghtam
01-30-2012, 08:39 PM
I think we should fire him because he didn't fly out here the second he was hired.

Blah , blah , blah , if Del Rio was good , then yeah understand the rest , but he isnt , he got alot of improving to do , he is watching the Pro Bowl , spending the weekend with his family , he needs to get his ass to Denver and start working , he is being a puss cake ........

broncolife
01-30-2012, 09:50 PM
I hope he doesnt use the pro bowl pass rush blueprint for our pass rush. :)

Ratboy
01-30-2012, 09:54 PM
This guy is putting our defense in the top 15 in all categories.

MONEY.

Bronco Boy
01-30-2012, 10:17 PM
I'm pretty lazy too. I'm also extremely good at my job. Just sayin'.

broncosteven
01-30-2012, 10:33 PM
I hope this guy can bring it and is willing to stay for a couple years.

Didn't Jags run a 3-4 and the Panthers run a 4-3 cover 2 type?

I would prefer to stay with the 4-3 under we have been running this year but Del Rio should not be a Slowic!

Bronco Yoda
01-30-2012, 10:45 PM
He's ripping this team apart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LongDongJohnson
01-30-2012, 10:59 PM

I would prefer to stay with the 4-3 under we have been running this year but Del Rio should not be a Slowic!

Jags have always been a physical 4-3 with large physical specimens at the DT position. They did experiment with the 3-4 in 2009 but I dont think that lasted long.

Swedish Extrovert
01-30-2012, 11:04 PM

I think Del Rio has alway been in the 4-3 - even back in Baltimore with those two fatties Sam Adams and Tony Siragusa clogging up the middle.

DBroncos4life
01-31-2012, 12:23 AM
Well...when you coach for a team in Jacksonville that was in the midst of being sold and having one of the least talented offenses in football...you duck out early. Why should your job ruin your day?

:Broncos:

I think there is a ship captin in jail that would agree with most of this. :P

Beantown Bronco
01-31-2012, 06:34 AM
He had the opportunity to stay at home for the next 12 months and collect $5 million to do nothing. A lazy person certainly doesn't say no to that.

uplink
01-31-2012, 07:19 AM
I can't believe he didn't start coming in last Friday night, they have evening flights from Jacksonville to Denver. What a lazy bum.

Rabb
01-31-2012, 07:24 AM
I bet he was looking down and to his left most of the time, what a jerk

bowtown
01-31-2012, 07:25 AM
I heard he took the escalator to baggage claim at DIA instead of the stairs.

BroncoBen
01-31-2012, 07:31 AM
So the 'Lazy' tag as I understand it.. was because Jack Del Rio came into the office a couple of times around 9:00am ?? So anyone who doesn't get into work to turn on the lights and start the coffee is lazy ?? Hummm... Interesting take.

bowtown
01-31-2012, 07:43 AM
So the 'Lazy' tag as I understand it.. was because Jack Del Rio came into the office a couple of times around 9:00am ?? So anyone who doesn't get into work to turn on the lights and start the coffee is lazy ?? Hummm... Interesting take.

You realize he was an NFL head coach and not Jimmy from down the hall, right?

BroncoBen
01-31-2012, 07:50 AM
You realize he was an NFL head coach and not Jimmy from down the hall, right?

Right.. and 'Head' coaches are suppose to be the first in to turn on the lights and start the coffee.

errand
01-31-2012, 07:50 AM
Doesn't the boss have assistants that make the coffee.....I suppose he should've stayed after to clean the restrooms, vacuum and take out the trash too.

Chris
01-31-2012, 07:58 AM
I think Del Rio has alway been in the 4-3 - even back in Baltimore with those two fatties Sam Adams and Tony Siragusa clogging up the middle.

That SB team was 4-3?

Swedish Extrovert
01-31-2012, 08:12 AM
That SB team was 4-3?

I'm pretty sure it was.

Chris
01-31-2012, 08:28 AM
Right.. and 'Head' coaches are suppose to be the first in to turn on the lights and start the coffee.

Yeah... and they have clap lights... so this is all moot.

bowtown
01-31-2012, 08:34 AM

Right... football operations are just like your everyday job. Everything works exactly the same. That's why we all get paid similarly.

WolfpackGuy
01-31-2012, 08:41 AM
That SB team was 4-3?

Yeah.

Goose and Adams are why the league started to crack down "more" on holding by defensive linemen after that season.

Dedhed
01-31-2012, 08:54 AM

It definitely seems like there is a culture in the NFL where working harder is more highly valued than working smarter.

bowtown
01-31-2012, 09:01 AM
It definitely seems like there is a culture in the NFL where working harder is more highly valued than working smarter.

You understand that there is a reason for this...right?

Dedhed
01-31-2012, 09:03 AM
You understand that there is a reason for this...right?

There are a lot of control freaks who love heart issues at 50?

Rabb
01-31-2012, 09:06 AM
he prefers working in the dark, he's a god damn assassin

bowtown
01-31-2012, 09:14 AM
There are a lot of control freaks who love heart issues at 50?

No, because you are a leading a team of young men who are in the business of physical. Players get better by practicing. The more they practice, the more hours they put into learning the game, the better they become at it generally. When's the last time you heard about a player who got to cut out early because he was practicing so smartly?

So if you are a coach of these men, and it is your job to lead them, what does it look like for you to expect them to show 30 minutes earlier than call, show up to all non mandatory practices and hopefully have a bunch of them stick around after practice to work, yet you are sailing in at 9 and cutting out as soon as you can at 5? How does it look when you are missing meetings when they are fined if they do the same? Hard to count on guys to go to battle for you if you aren't showing the same work ethic you expect out of them.

Obviously it's not a fair world but when you are dealing with a ton of immature kids, leading by example is one of the best tools you have in your kit.

Dedhed
01-31-2012, 09:27 AM
No, because you are a leading a team of young men who are in the business of physical. Players get better by practicing. The more they practice, the more hours they put into learning the game, the better they become at it generally. When's the last time you heard about a player who got to cut out early because he was practicing so smartly?

So if you are a coach of these men, and it is your job to lead them, what does it look like for you to expect them to show 30 minutes earlier than call, show up to all non mandatory practices and hopefully have a bunch of them stick around after practice to work, yet you are sailing in at 9 and cutting out as soon as you can at 5? How does it look when you are missing meetings when they are fined if they do the same? Hard to count on guys to go to battle for you if you aren't showing the same work ethic you expect out of them.

Obviously it's not a fair world but when you are dealing with a ton of immature kids, leading by example is one of the best tools you have in your kit.None of that has anything to do with what I said.

bowtown
01-31-2012, 09:29 AM
None of that has anything to do with what I said.

Yes, it does.

Chris
01-31-2012, 09:40 AM
Have to agree with Dedhed. There are ways to work more efficiently without sending yourself to an early grave in any industry, no matter how hard the job. I don't begrudge a guy that works a 12 hour day over an 18 hour day. Productivity dips after a certain point of fatigue so he's probably getting more quality out of it. The "more hours for more work" approach is getting pretty antiquated.

Now, the NFL might be a "special case" but I have yet to be convinced.

houghtam
01-31-2012, 09:58 AM
Have to agree with Dedhed. There are ways to work more efficiently without sending yourself to an early grave in any industry, no matter how hard the job. I don't begrudge a guy that works a 12 hour day over an 18 hour day. Productivity dips after a certain point of fatigue so he's probably getting more quality out of it. The "more hours for more work" approach is getting pretty antiquated.

Now, the NFL might be a "special case" but I have yet to be convinced.

I agree. I think the main reason that these coaches spend so much time isn't because they have to in order to be good, it's because their competitive nature drives them to.

It also seems like sports in general breeds this notion of needing to be there all the time. When I worked for a minor league baseball team, as well as when I worked for the Bengals and the Reds, every member of management who was not "gameday staff", even the people on the foodservice side of things, worked 10-12 hour days on non-gamedays. I had all my stuff done by 4 o'clock so I'd leave, and everyone looks at you like YOU'RE the asshole.

You can work smart without having to be there all day, every day.

bendog
01-31-2012, 10:11 AM
It's about free coffee.

Chris
01-31-2012, 10:13 AM
It's about free coffee.

Healthy people that get adequate sleep don't need stimulants!

bendog
01-31-2012, 10:51 AM
I dunno. I'm pretty healthy, and got 8 hours last night, but haven't been to the gym today or yesterday, but I just finished a document and have to begin another one, and I'd really just rather go home and fall asleep on my sofa with my dog next to me.

I'll make some tea and splash water on my face.

gyldenlove
01-31-2012, 11:20 AM
I'm pretty sure it was.

It was, they didn't switch to 3-4 until Nolan took over from Marvin Lewis.

bowtown
01-31-2012, 11:31 AM
I dunno. I'm pretty healthy, and got 8 hours last night, but haven't been to the gym today or yesterday, but I just finished a document and have to begin another one, and I'd really just rather go home and fall asleep on my sofa with my dog next to me.

I'll make some tea and splash water on my face.

TMI

Swedish Extrovert
01-31-2012, 02:32 PM
A good take from the post: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19856490

"For me right now, I'm excited to be here. I'm fired up. I'm not looking anywhere other than the next week, the next month and how we can dig in and do a great job here, and that's what I'm all about. I'm 100 percent in as a member of this organization," Del Rio said. "I'm going to be a good worker bee on this staff for John Fox, and all the people here. I'm going to give them 100 percent of what I have, and try to help this organization win."

And

Personal: Del Rio and his wife, Linda, have three daughters and a son. Their son, Luke, is a top high school quarterback and will play his senior year at a school in the Denver area this coming fall.

Read it, beotches.

BroncoBeavis
01-31-2012, 02:44 PM
A good take from the post: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19856490

And

Read it, beotches.

Glad to hear they're all in and moving as a family to Denver and everything. That's a good sign.

Swedish Extrovert
01-31-2012, 02:54 PM
Glad to hear they're all in and moving as a family to Denver and everything. That's a good sign.

MaxPrep says his son is looking at Cherry Creek, Regis and Valor Christian to play QB at.

Dedhed
01-31-2012, 02:55 PM
Yes, it does.

Missing meetings, being late, and every other offense you listed is an entirely different subject than being in the building 6 hours prior to when the first meeting is supposed to start just so you can prove a point.

If you're in the building at 4:30 and don't leave until after midnight, you're not a hard, intelligent worker; you're an incredibly inefficient micro manager who probably can't stand your home life and are in a constant state of burnout.

Psychotic, sleep deprived, anal retentive people who are in a constant state of paranoia at the thought of having missed something are only leaders to people who aspire to be psychotic, sleep deprived, anal retentive, and paranoid.

Dedhed
01-31-2012, 02:57 PM
Healthy people that get adequate sleep don't need stimulants!

Healthy people who like coffee have better lives.

BroncoBeavis
01-31-2012, 03:32 PM
Missing meetings, being late, and every other offense you listed is an entirely different subject than being in the building 6 hours prior to when the first meeting is supposed to start just so you can prove a point.

If you're in the building at 4:30 and don't leave until after midnight, you're not a hard, intelligent worker; you're an incredibly inefficient micro manager who probably can't stand your home life and are in a constant state of burnout.

Psychotic, sleep deprived, anal retentive people who are in a constant state of paranoia at the thought of having missed something are only leaders to people who aspire to be psychotic, sleep deprived, anal retentive, and paranoid.

Wasnt there a Seinfeld episode where George would leave his car at work at night so people would think he was working later than everyone else

Tombstone RJ
01-31-2012, 03:33 PM
he prefers working in the dark, he's a god damn assassin

:rofl:

Chris
01-31-2012, 04:10 PM
Healthy people who like coffee have better lives.

I can't exercise nearly as well if I drink caffeine. Several people I know are the same way but maybe it's just me.

Sorry... derailing the thread.

Play2win
01-31-2012, 10:29 PM
Florida causes good men to do bad things.

Play2win
01-31-2012, 10:35 PM
Personal: Del Rio and his wife, Linda, have three daughters and a son. Their son, Luke, is a top high school quarterback and will play his senior year at a school in the Denver area this coming fall.

Read it, beotches.

HA! Ha!

Play2win
01-31-2012, 10:39 PM
I can't exercise nearly as well if I drink caffeine. Several people I know are the same way but maybe it's just me.

Sorry... derailing the thread.

You drink the coffee AFTER the workout. Then you are twice as awake and motivated! :thumbsup:

bendog
02-01-2012, 08:38 AM
coffee ups the heartrate. so, if you're doing cardio, coffee detracts from how much you can stress your heart with exercise. On that note .....

HILife
02-01-2012, 09:42 AM
Florida causes good men to do bad things.

Preach on.

Signed,

http://reverseshot.com/files/images/pre-issue22/scarface2.jpg

Rabb
02-01-2012, 12:06 PM
if you read the title quick enough it looks like "Larry Del Rio"

hehe