PDA

View Full Version : HS Football is no better in TX...?

houghtam
01-30-2012, 03:58 PM
...than it is in CA, FL or anywhere else in the US.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/football/story/_/id/7516563/texas-prospects-just-everyone-else-believe-not

Very interesting read that kinda debunks "conventional wisdom".

Establishing pipelines in TX, CA, FL, OH and PA is still my first priority in PS3 NCAA football :)

Bronco Yoda
01-31-2012, 12:36 AM
Interesting article. Good read

Brings me back to a long conversation with another father at one of my boys baseball games last fall. He was from Dallas (which was obvious with all his cowboy garb) and the conversation went to Texas school football and California school baseball.

Is it better for your kids to play in a good high school program but small market area vs. one of these hotbed sports areas where it's practically a religion.

DBroncos4life
01-31-2012, 12:45 AM
What is funny is year in and year out Texas is in the top 5 in recruiting because of the in state talent and they can't win. Mack Brown is either the most over rated coach in college or it's the state of Texas HS players.

El Guapo
01-31-2012, 07:16 AM
What is funny is year in and year out Texas is in the top 5 in recruiting because of the in state talent and they can't win. Mack Brown is either the most over rated coach in college or it's the state of Texas HS players.

Let's make this clear, "Texas" should be referred to as "Texas University / TU." When you say "Texas" I think of my homestate, not the **** school. ^5

Jay3
01-31-2012, 07:32 AM
The best football recruiting is in the Southeastern US, a belt that includes Florida, Georgia, and the states that touch it.

Skill players and O-lineman can be had all over the country, depending on population. But for some reason, the big fast guys who can play defensive line and linebacker are found in this region.

There's a reason that the SEC keeps dominating the national championship, and a reason that coaches like Nick Saban set up shop here. There's an aspect that the southeastern region has that gives it an advantage over everywhere else.

CPA
01-31-2012, 08:25 AM
Let's make this clear, "Texas" should be referred to as "Texas University / TU." When you say "Texas" I think of my homestate, not the **** school. ^5

It's "UT", not "TU".

houghtam
01-31-2012, 09:13 AM
The best football recruiting is in the Southeastern US, a belt that includes Florida, Georgia, and the states that touch it.

Skill players and O-lineman can be had all over the country, depending on population. But for some reason, the big fast guys who can play defensive line and linebacker are found in this region.

There's a reason that the SEC keeps dominating the national championship, and a reason that coaches like Nick Saban set up shop here. There's an aspect that the southeastern region has that gives it an advantage over everywhere else.

Read the article. That's conventional wisdom, but statistically speaking it's no better than anywhere else.

Jay3
01-31-2012, 10:35 AM
Read the article. That's conventional wisdom, but statistically speaking it's no better than anywhere else.

The methodology doesn't reach what I'm talking about. In fact, it doesn't even get in to how many prospects there are per capita. Just how many pre-identified prospects turn out on a scale of 1 to 5.

El Guapo
01-31-2012, 10:44 AM
It's "UT", not "TU".

Negative. "UT" assumes that the school is THE university of Texas, and it is not. Therefore, everyone else in the state calls it "TU." :kiss:

hookemhess
01-31-2012, 11:10 AM

Clearly you went to A&M and for that, I am very sorry.

hookemhess
01-31-2012, 11:12 AM

Can't win... right, because National Championships and BCS bowls don't count.

http://i.imgur.com/tunnt.gif

houghtam
01-31-2012, 11:32 AM

Is there a reason why this is only a recent occurrence, then?

LonghornBronco
01-31-2012, 11:50 AM

Listen here hayseed, it's actually UT, the top institution in the state athletically and academically.

LonghornBronco
01-31-2012, 01:05 PM
Clearly you went to A&M and for that, I am very sorry.

Doubt hayseed has been to an institution of higher learning, or A&M for that matter.

El Guapo
01-31-2012, 01:54 PM
It's amazing how the both of you immediately turned to derogatory names. How quickly you TU folks show your true colors. :~ohyah!:

I'm no aggie, but I definitely didn't go to TU. (this is an argument I constantly have with my bro-in-law who went there. :P )

Jay3
01-31-2012, 02:22 PM
Is there a reason why this is only a recent occurrence, then?

Before the BCS Championship system, it was possible to win a championship without having to play the SEC Champion. The SEC teams beat up on each other, but now a one-loss SEC team usually gets to play in the championship game. The last time a team won the national championship by defeating an SEC in the championship game was Nebraska, 1995 season. By the way, Bear Bryant won a few championships back in the day.

There are certainly great players and teams outside the southeast. But there's a seeming statistical advantage in large, fast players on the defensive side of the ball, particularly pass rushers.

I'm not trying to smack talk on behalf of the SEC. I'm trying to articulate where the advantage seems to come from.

strafen
01-31-2012, 03:02 PM
It's "UT", not "TU". That's too funny! :thumbs: LOL :rofl:

Pony Boy
01-31-2012, 03:11 PM
The Sooners call Texas "Baja Oklahoma"

hookemhess
01-31-2012, 03:26 PM
It's amazing how the both of you immediately turned to derogatory names. How quickly you TU folks show your true colors. :~ohyah!:

I'm no aggie, but I definitely didn't go to TU. (this is an argument I constantly have with my bro-in-law who went there. :P )

Please point out where I "turned to derogatory names."

Do me a favor, I'm having trouble making this out... will you please read the words on this seal?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bc/The_University_of_Texas_at_Austin_seal.png

hookemhess
01-31-2012, 03:31 PM
The Sooners call Texas "Baja Oklahoma"

I'll take razzing from Sooners, because at least they sit at the same table as us (and oftentimes kick our ass). But who wants to live in Norman over Austin?

houghtam
01-31-2012, 03:41 PM
I'll take razzing from Sooners, because at least they sit at the same table as us (and oftentimes kick our ass). But who wants to live in Norman over Austin?

Does anyone really "want" to live anywhere in the south?

/rimshot

:~ohyah!:

Brewer
01-31-2012, 04:20 PM
I wasn't aware that there is anything at all that is good regarding Texas...

2KBack
01-31-2012, 05:58 PM

Not a steak fan?

hookemhess
01-31-2012, 06:57 PM
Not a steak fan?

Or good looking women? Or low cost of living? Or warm weather?

Archer81
01-31-2012, 07:38 PM
Does anyone really "want" to live anywhere in the south?

/rimshot

:~ohyah!:

I lived in Va and NC for 19 of the 30 years I have existed. Both were pretty awesome.

Even though when I lived in NC I was only 5 miles from snake handling Christians and high occurances of hillbillydom.

:Broncos:

Archer81
01-31-2012, 07:39 PM

I used to think that. Then I visited El Paso. One of the best times I've ever had. The food was AWESOME.

:Broncos:

LonghornBronco
02-01-2012, 07:45 AM

http://bigpapadaddy.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/texas771.jpg?w=500&h=625