PDA

View Full Version : Iphone?

Peoples Champ
01-27-2012, 02:48 PM
http://www.mnn.com/green-tech/gadgets-electronics/blogs/entourage-star-supports-conflict-free-iphone-campaign

Does anyone know what kind of minerals they are talking about? I was thinking that when I read this, that the region in Africa is the only place in the world that has these specific minerals to make an Iphone. I would think that they can get minerals for an Iphone anywhere?

Willynowei
01-27-2012, 02:54 PM
http://www.mnn.com/green-tech/gadgets-electronics/blogs/entourage-star-supports-conflict-free-iphone-campaign

Does anyone know what kind of minerals they are talking about? I was thinking that when I read this, that the region in Africa is the only place in the world that has these specific minerals to make an Iphone. I would think that they can get minerals for an Iphone anywhere?

The copper belt.

I doubt Apple's buyers would have the means of really keeping tabs of where the Chinese factories are getting the supplies from.

broncosteven
01-27-2012, 02:59 PM

I saw this in a Time article about conflict mining in the Congo. Apparently the spots that have the specific minerals used in cell phones and battries are found in the worlds hot spots like the Congo and Eastern Europe.

The Obama admin made companies insure that they are not getting their minerals from conflict areas which usually only benifit the war lords while the poor (usually kids) who are working the mine live on less than $250 a year.

It might make it harder on the poor to find work if the US does not do business with a war lord but the ones in the Congo are militant Muslim groups who use the money to fund terrorism.

The same thing happened over diamonds about 10+ years ago.

broncosteven
01-27-2012, 03:01 PM
The copper belt.

I doubt Apple's buyers would have the means of really keeping tabs of where the Chinese factories are getting the supplies from.

The minerals started with a T and were things I had not heard of before, Tin was one but not sure of the others.

The minerals are used in minituration of computing devices and generate less heat and provide longer battery time.

Willynowei
01-27-2012, 03:05 PM
The minerals started with a T and were things I had not heard of before, Tin was one but not sure of the others.

The minerals are used in minituration of computing devices and generate less heat and provide longer battery time.

Are you talking about coltan? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coltan

Tantalum from coltan is used to manufacture electronic capacitors, used in consumer electronics products such as mobile phones, DVD players, video game systems and computers. Coltan mining has been cited[2][3] as helping to finance serious conflict, for example in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.[4][5][6]

mkporter
01-27-2012, 04:26 PM
Tantalum capacitors are used in a wide array of electronics products. I've used them on several products that I've designed, as they have superior performance in high frequency applications. There is really no way for the average consumer to have any idea where the tantalum in their products come from. It isn't really even much of a thought for the designers who use them, although it is becoming more so, as companies begin to react to the potential bad PR.

broncosteven
01-27-2012, 04:50 PM

Yep that is it.

Peoples Champ
01-28-2012, 09:53 AM

So they really cant find this stuff anywhere else besides Congo?

Peoples Champ
01-28-2012, 09:56 AM
I saw this in a Time article about conflict mining in the Congo. Apparently the spots that have the specific minerals used in cell phones and battries are found in the worlds hot spots like the Congo and Eastern Europe.

The Obama admin made companies insure that they are not getting their minerals from conflict areas which usually only benifit the war lords while the poor (usually kids) who are working the mine live on less than $250 a year.

It might make it harder on the poor to find work if the US does not do business with a war lord but the ones in the Congo are militant Muslim groups who use the money to fund terrorism.

The same thing happened over diamonds about 10+ years ago.

I knew this happened with diamonds, but you would think with these materials, they could either find them somewhere else, or find an alternative mineral to work. That would eliminate the huge demand for these minerals and eliminate the violence in the mining process since the demand is lower.

Spider
01-28-2012, 10:39 AM
dayum I didnt know about any of this .......I guess it is more then just the Iphone that uses this stuff ?
I have hauled just about anything you can think of , never hauled this stuff ......

mkporter
01-28-2012, 09:04 PM
dayum I didnt know about any of this .......I guess it is more then just the Iphone that uses this stuff ?
I have hauled just about anything you can think of , never hauled this stuff ......

It's pretty much impossible to avoid unless you are Amish. Apple is being targeted just because they are the biggest, most well known electronics company in the world. Rest assured products from Nokia, Samsung, HTC, Motorola, and all the others use it too.

broncosteven
01-29-2012, 02:25 AM
It's pretty much impossible to avoid unless you are Amish. Apple is being targeted just because they are the biggest, most well known electronics company in the world. Rest assured products from Nokia, Samsung, HTC, Motorola, and all the others use it too.

Even Amish business men carry iphones now, they just can't take them into their homes. they have phone shanties out side usually with a landline and ansering machine in there.

broncosteven
01-29-2012, 02:29 AM
I knew this happened with diamonds, but you would think with these materials, they could either find them somewhere else, or find an alternative mineral to work. That would eliminate the huge demand for these minerals and eliminate the violence in the mining process since the demand is lower.

Congo and Eastern European are the areas that the product is cheaper from both those places involve conflict areas.

Canada and Austuraila(?) mine Tal(sp) but they charge way more than the conflict regions do because conflict regions don't pay the workers more than $250 a year tops to live on.

Prices would go up dramaticaly if they bought the mineral from Canada or Aussies.

Bronco Yoda
01-29-2012, 07:47 PM
Who woulda thunk it...

http://www.textually.org/textblog/mt_search.php?IncludeBlogs=1&search=amish

Peoples Champ
01-30-2012, 08:21 AM
Congo and Eastern European are the areas that the product is cheaper from both those places involve conflict areas.

Canada and Austuraila(?) mine Tal(sp) but they charge way more than the conflict regions do because conflict regions don't pay the workers more than $250 a year tops to live on.

Prices would go up dramaticaly if they bought the mineral from Canada or Aussies.

what about finding an alternative mineral? Kinda like finding alternative forms of energy for cars.