PDA

View Full Version : Richard Smith, a brief history of suckage...

pricejj
01-26-2012, 08:02 PM
John Fox is in "no hurry" to bring in a new Defensive Coordinator to replace Dennis Allen. Richard Smith is almost being given the job in the media. Smith, LB coach for the Broncos, was brought here by John Fox from the Carolina Panthers. This is a brief history of his work as Defensive Coordinator with the Miami Dolphins, and Houston Texans. I also put in information from the year before he was DC, and the year after he left, with each team, just to show some perspective.

Defensive Coordinator.....Team................Year......NFL Rank.....PPG
Jim Bates.........................Miami Dolphins....2004.......20th............22.1
Richard Smith.................Miami Dolphins..2005......15th...........19.8
Dom Capers......................Miami Dolphins....2006........5th............17.7

Vic Fangio.......................Houston Texans....2005......32nd...........26.9
Richard Smith................Houston Texans..2006.....25th...........22.9
Richard Smith................Houston Texans..2007.....22th...........24.0
Richard Smith................Houston Texans..2008.....27th...........24.6
Frank Bush......................Houston Texans....2009......17th...........20.8

Wink Martindale................Denver Broncos....2010.....32nd............29.4
Dennis Allen.....................Denver Broncos....2011.....24th............24.4
Defensive Coordinator........Denver Broncos....2012.....??...............??.?

Color me not impressed. Why not get Keith Butler, Pittsburgh Steelers LB Coach (1st overall Defense 2011)? Richard Smith's Defenses don't exactly inspire confidence. The LB corps was not all that strong this year either. I'm not that upset that Dennis Allen left, after the steaming pile of dookie he laid against the Patriots...but surely Elway, Fox, Xanders, can come up with somebody better than THIS guy...

Requiem
01-26-2012, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the thread, pricejj. If they Broncos play their cards right, they will dangle an offer at Pearson Daniels.

montrose
01-26-2012, 08:17 PM
Shannon Sharpe said today he's hearing Smith may follow Allen to Oakland to be their DC.

pricejj
01-26-2012, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the thread, pricejj. If they Broncos play their cards right, they will dangle an offer at Pearson Daniels.

google search doesn't yield any info on him...who is he?

Shannon Sharpe said today he's hearing Smith may follow Allen to Oakland to be their DC.

How very McDaniels-esque...

UberBroncoMan
01-26-2012, 09:56 PM
Prob with getting Keith Butler is the fact he's basically promised the DC job when Dick retires. Of course he could get betrayed, but that's why he's there and why he turns down job offers for promotion.

BroncoMan4ever
01-27-2012, 01:25 AM
just give Del Rio what he wants and move on.

gunns
01-27-2012, 05:09 AM
I agree on Keith Butler and have for a while. But on your chart I noticed one thing. Vic Fangio sure had a great year this year. Maybe it's the players, maybe it's the coaching. Maybe it's both.

DBroncos4life
01-27-2012, 06:02 AM
I really don't see us going after a guy that has been coaching in the 3-4.

BroncoBen
01-27-2012, 10:25 AM
John Fox is in "no hurry" to bring in a new Defensive Coordinator to replace Dennis Allen. Richard Smith is almost being given the job in the media. Smith, LB coach for the Broncos, was brought here by John Fox from the Carolina Panthers. This is a brief history of his work as Defensive Coordinator with the Miami Dolphins, and Houston Texans. I also put in information from the year before he was DC, and the year after he left, with each team, just to show some perspective.

This is a intresting overview... Does make you wonder.

Jack Del Rio would be my choice, but I guarentee you he will be gone after a season.. maybe he stays for 2.

Spider
01-27-2012, 11:32 AM
If I could I would wait until after the Draft before getting a DC

Bronco Rob
01-27-2012, 11:37 AM
Baltimore Ravens head coach John Harbaugh announced Friday, Jan. 27, that linebackers coach Dean Pees has been promoted to defensive coordinator.

2012-01-27 08:20:53 | Source: ESPN.com - Jamison Hensley

another one bites the dust.

Beantown Bronco
01-27-2012, 11:41 AM
just give Del Rio what he wants and move on.

In theory, he should be ok making minimum wage, cause the Jags still have to pay him the balance of his contract anyway. It would make no difference to his bottom line if we paid him $500K or $5 mil.

R8R H8R
01-27-2012, 01:05 PM
The fact that Fox is "mulling it around", tells me he made some kind of verbal agreement w/ Del Rio that allows Del Rio to weigh his options for a week or so until JDR decides what he wants to do.

I can understand JDR's position where he would rather take a year off and get paid the same money as if he is a DC and putting in 90-100 hours a week.

Therefore, I wonder if Fox has offered him some kind of "Asst. Head Coach" type of role, with the agreement that he oversees the defense, but someone else does all the heavy work. That way he basically puts in 9-5pm hrs and is allowed to see his kid play each Fri night. Who knows?

broncosteven
01-27-2012, 05:03 PM
Smith's #'s weren't any worse than Allens this year or am I missing something?

jutang
01-27-2012, 06:38 PM
What makes people think Del Rio will be gone in a year? Nolan is still not getting any offers.
GMs love chasing potential, which is why McD and Allen got their respective HC positions.

Del Rio is no longer a new shiny toy.

UberBroncoMan
01-27-2012, 10:21 PM
What makes people think Del Rio will be gone in a year? Nolan is still not getting any offers.
GMs love chasing potential, which is why McD and Allen got their respective HC positions.

Del Rio is no longer a new shiny toy.

...Nolan was snapped buy by Atlanta over a week ago.

jutang
01-28-2012, 05:50 AM
Only as a d coordinator, not HC. Lateral move by him and the dolphins had first crack at Nolan and chose some else for their interim coach last season.

Drek
01-28-2012, 05:57 AM
...Nolan was snapped buy by Atlanta over a week ago.

He meant as a HC. Guys like Nolan, Capers, etc. aren't exactly being snapped up off their respective teams despite some good success. No one came calling for Romeo Crennel after he made chicken **** into chicken salad for the chiefs last year, he's only getting the bump because of his close relationship with Pioli.

Del Rio would probably need to get us in the top 10 for a couple seasons in a row before he starts getting HC interviews again.