PDA

View Full Version : Broncos should pick everything at NFL draft, except QB

Mile High Mojoe
01-26-2012, 05:03 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/woodysmailbag/ci_19822168

Woody gets it. Pick up a veteran free agent QB. Don't waste a pick on a QB in this draft. That is all.

OBF1
01-26-2012, 05:22 PM
Is Tebow changing what it means to be a Broncos fan? There are Broncos fans who know Gerald Willhite and Dennis Smith. And then there are fans who know Tim Tebow, but have no idea Von Miller or Ed McCaffery ever existed.
---Justin Stygles
Justin, as you may know, I've been covering the Broncos since 1974 as a beat writer and columnist. Broncos fans have changed dramatically in that time, maybe moreso than any other city in the entire league. About a quarter of the cities are young male crazies (I give you the Jets, for instance), then the die-hard blue-collar crowd (Steelers and Bears) and the casuals (Chargers, Dolphins) and the and Raiders fans, which don't need explaining, and newbies (Texans, Titans, Tampas).

The Broncos don't fall into any of those categories. I always thought that Denver had a sort of college crowd because everyone here was from someplace else, and they didn't have their college team nearby, so they adopted the Broncos. But that's not the same anymore. And so many of those early fans have retired and given their tickets to their kids (who don't care as much) or sold them to people who didn't have the long-time loyaly, and weren't there when the Broncos were struggling in the 1960s or just beginning to win in the 1970s.

I now see a mixed bag of white-collar corporate types (who sit in the luxury boxes and the club seats), people who have inherited their tickets and sometimes go and sometimes sell their tickets, the South Standers who have been scattered or aren't as vociferous as they used to be because they're older, and a lot of people who go because it's the thing to do in Colorado. It's an interesting social-psycological evolution of Broncos fans.

So, where am I going? I think for the first time since John Elway retired, the fans have come together to get excited about something. And that something is Tim Tebow. This is compelling theater. It's almost passion play-like. Love him or loathe him. But there's nobody else like him in sports. The Broncos had a quarterback in Kyle Orton who said publicly he didn't care about pleasing the Broncos' fans. You had Jay Cutler, who didn't care about Denver or the fans or the history of the team. You had Plummer, who was somewhat of a Space Cadet.

Now, you have Tebow. He does care about Denver and the kids and the fans, and he is different, and the most amazing thing I saw this season was the thousands of fathers and sons wearing matching Tebow jerseys. They had a bond because of Tebow. And he produced those miracle victories and got them back into the playoffs. (I'm not going to argue here about the defense being overlooked; we know everybody joined in, just as they did when Elway got all the credit.) And don't stop me, I'm on a roll...

Maybe all these different groups -- the white collars and the old and the young, and the parents and kids, and the new fans, and long-time fans, have been brought together, just as the Broncos fans in the 1960s felt they were a real part of the team, not just observers. I find it so funny that so many people in the media, even those I work with, want Tebow to fail because, I guess, they want to be proven right when they stood at practice with their fingers in their noses and said he couldn't play, and it's tough for them to admit they were wrong. It's almost as if they don't want the fans to have something to cheer about. It's almost as if they don't want Denver to be champions again in some sport. It's almost as if they want this to be a sports town drifting along as some mid-market failure.

The Rockies brought the city together in 2007. The old Avalanche turned people onto hockey. The Nuggets in the 1970s were a fun team to watch, and the current one is too. There was that brief moment when the Nuggets and Dikembe Mutombo beat Seattle and George Karl.

What's wrong with Denver succeeding? What's wrong with Tebow making it happen? Because he's "too religious"? Because he's too "goodie-goodie"? Because he's not like you and me? People don't seem to mind when some jerk of an athlete who has been in prison leads a local team to victory. Strange world.

I don't think I answered your question, Justin, but I sure used a lot of words.

Interesting take....

Armchair Bronco
01-26-2012, 05:28 PM
We should still drat at least one run-option QB, but not until the later rounds. I'm sure there are plenty of QB's in the college ranks who, thanks to Tebow, now have a legit chance to be a backup in Denver.

No one else in the league will go after these guys so we don't need burn high picks for them.

In fact, maybe we can pick up a backup candidate or two in free agency.

peacepipe
01-26-2012, 05:32 PM
We should still drat at least one run-option QB, but not until the later rounds. I'm sure there are plenty of QB's in the college ranks who, thanks to Tebow, now have a legit chance to be a backup in Denver.

No one else in the league will go after these guys so we don't need burn high picks for them.

In fact, maybe we can pick up a backup candidate or two in free agency.why? You know as well as I do they are not going to stick with the run option. come training camp he is either going to be able to run a pro style offense or ride the bench.

Armchair Bronco
01-26-2012, 05:41 PM
why? You know as well as I do they are not going to stick with the run option. come training camp he is either going to be able to run a pro style offense or ride the bench.

Then they might was well trade him before the 2012 campaign.

Tebow is a threat precisely because he's Old School. Telling an Old School player to "grow up and play New School" is like breaking a wild mustang and turning it into a plough horse.

This is Tebow

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_OfpZQm4cpao/TDKeZcmiMVI/AAAAAAAAB9A/_yXufvkVxSI/s400/decorator-wild-horse-rearing.gif

This is Not Tebow

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/185/378481713_60c6e609e4.jpg

cutthemdown
01-26-2012, 05:46 PM
No pick is a waste if you get a good player. They look at these picks based on that mostly IMO. I think Elway, being a player, is going to be a great influence on Xandars. Elway will always want to see great play on the field IMO, to draft a guy. That way, IMO, we won't be seeing too many reaches early in the draft based on potential along. Just my opinion but I feel good about the Broncos right now. I trust Elway because I can see it when we wont that Pitt game.....He is a Bronco fan, he loves the team as much as we do. I also feel he loves Pat Bowlen and will be a good protector of his interests. I feel good about the Broncos and I haven't said that in a long time. I did say it briefly when we started out so well under Mcd, i really thought he seemed like a bright innovative coach. I really just think the coach needs to be a tad older in most cases to really get the players respect. I still think MCD makes a comeback someday. In fact I'd say almost for sure hes a head coach again someday.

cutthemdown
01-26-2012, 05:49 PM
Really Tebow just needs to hit more of the passes he threw this yr. We can still run the ball a ton. FOX loves to run the ball anyways. He's always been a 50/50 at most when it came to passing. With Broncos its will by swung to the run more obviously.

Really though cut out the drops, hit a few of the big long passes he had open, then maybe get some TE and RB stuff going in camp to give him so high % type throws. I will take 40% completion of the ones over 40 yrds :) Tebow completed alot of long passes. Hell we were exciting to watch IMO.

orinjkrush
01-26-2012, 05:53 PM
No pick is a waste if you get a good player. They look at these picks based on that mostly IMO. I think Elway, being a player, is going to be a great influence on Xandars. Elway will always want to see great play on the field IMO, to draft a guy. That way, IMO, we won't be seeing too many reaches early in the draft based on potential along. Just my opinion but I feel good about the Broncos right now. I trust Elway because I can see it when we wont that Pitt game.....He is a Bronco fan, he loves the team as much as we do. I also feel he loves Pat Bowlen and will be a good protector of his interests. I feel good about the Broncos and I haven't said that in a long time. I did say it briefly when we started out so well under Mcd, i really thought he seemed like a bright innovative coach. I really just think the coach needs to be a tad older in most cases to really get the players respect. I still think MCD makes a comeback someday. In fact I'd say almost for sure hes a head coach again someday.

great post.

DBroncos4life
01-26-2012, 05:53 PM
Then they might was well trade him before the 2012 campaign.

Tebow is a threat precisely because he's Old School. Telling an Old School player to "grow up and play New School" is like breaking a wild mustang and turning it into a plough horse.

This is Tebow

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_OfpZQm4cpao/TDKeZcmiMVI/AAAAAAAAB9A/_yXufvkVxSI/s400/decorator-wild-horse-rearing.gif

This is Not Tebow

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/185/378481713_60c6e609e4.jpg

So we should trade him to the 60s?

houghtam
01-26-2012, 06:55 PM
Really Tebow just needs to hit more of the passes he threw this yr. We can still run the ball a ton. FOX loves to run the ball anyways. He's always been a 50/50 at most when it came to passing. With Broncos its will by swung to the run more obviously.

Really though cut out the drops, hit a few of the big long passes he had open, then maybe get some TE and RB stuff going in camp to give him so high % type throws. I will take 40% completion of the ones over 40 yrds :) Tebow completed alot of long passes. Hell we were exciting to watch IMO.

I agree with this. I wonder if his stats would be enough to shut up the critics if he could just complete half of his bad throws and half of the balls that were dropped. More importantly than stats, I wonder if we could have won 10 games instead of 8. I wonder if a full offseason could facilitate that.

Archer81
01-26-2012, 06:59 PM
I agree with this. I wonder if his stats would be enough to shut up the critics if he could just complete half of his bad throws and half of the balls that were dropped. More importantly than stats, I wonder if we could have won 10 games instead of 8. I wonder if a full offseason could facilitate that.

A prediction. Tebow will improve his completion percentage into the 53-55% range.

People will still bitch. Just how it goes.

:Broncos:

houghtam
01-26-2012, 07:09 PM
A prediction. Tebow will improve his completion percentage into the 53-55% range.

People will still b****. Just how it goes.

Yep. It all goes back to "I want the team to win MY way/the way I predicted/with MY favorite players."

DBroncos4life
01-26-2012, 07:12 PM

So lets say he does do that but Denver goes 2 and 14 should we not bitch or should we be thrilled Tebow improved?

Archer81
01-26-2012, 07:13 PM
Yep. It all goes back to "I want the team to win MY way/the way I predicted/with MY favorite players."

Pretty much. I'm over the Tebow arguments. At this stage they are set and won't change. I really hope we see an effort to improve the middle of the defense and possibly add a game breaker or two on offense. That's what I would like to talk about until TC.

gunns
01-26-2012, 10:48 PM
Meh, give me all defense. I'd be thrilled. But if Elway see's a player he really likes on offense, be it QB, RB or OL (NO WR) I'm all for it and trust the guy to know what he see's and what will help.

broncocalijohn
01-26-2012, 10:57 PM

Well, to be fair, that isnt much of an improvement or standard for the NFL.

Archer81
01-27-2012, 12:29 AM
Well, to be fair, that isnt much of an improvement or standard for the NFL.

To go from 48% to 55% in the style of offense we run would be a nice improvement. And frankly I could care less what the NFL standard is. The Broncos need to improve, and being as young as they were its hard to see that they wont.

houghtam
01-27-2012, 12:57 AM
To go from 48% to 55% in the style of offense we run would be a nice improvement. And frankly I could care less what the NFL standard is. The Broncos need to improve, and being as young as they were its hard to see that they wont.

The NFL standard is win 9 games and you have a legitimate shot at the playoffs. What's more likely? This team returning next year with a few added playmakers on defense and offense being responsible for that one extra win, or Tebow completing 7-10% more of his passes contributing to one more win?

BroncoMan4ever
01-27-2012, 01:24 AM

In fact, maybe we can pick up a backup candidate or two in free agency.

with the last few weeks of the season and how it played out with the run option offense getting basically shut down almost completely, do you really think we will continue to use the option as a major part of the offense?

i tend to think that offense was the best case scenario for this season. no real practice time in the offseason, meaning Tebow was behind a lot and there was no putting Orton back in the lineup or fans would riot or stop buying tickets so they had no choice but to go with what Tebow knew inside and out.

i say the team will more than likely revert to a traditional NFL style offense and sprinkle in some of the option to allow Tim to be Tim. the need for a read option QB as a backup to Tebow is not going to be as necessary as a lot of people think it will be.

i say look for a veteran with NFL experience to backup Tim and Weber to make the jump to the 53 man roster and a late round or undrafted QB on the practice squad

Archer81
01-27-2012, 02:53 AM
The NFL standard is win 9 games and you have a legitimate shot at the playoffs. What's more likely? This team returning next year with a few added playmakers on defense and offense being responsible for that one extra win, or Tebow completing 7-10% more of his passes contributing to one more win?

I think both are capable of happening, and probably will happen. The offense and defense will get playmakers in FA or the draft, young players will step up and the QB will improve his completion percentage.

Play2win
01-27-2012, 04:39 AM
The absolute first thing the Broncos should pick at the NFL Draft is a new QB. But, because of the options in 2013, they should delay that essential need until the 2013 Draft.