PDA

View Full Version : Ski thread!?

Mogulseeker
01-23-2012, 01:58 PM
Didn't see one. Don't know if there are any ski buffs out there, but let this be the place where Bronco fans talk about it. Skiing... deals... lodging... lift tickets.

So far this year I've hit up Winter Park like 7 times, Copper Mountain prolly 5 times. Down to Taos, New Mexico with the Alpine Club and I intend on hitting Steamboat this month and I plan on spending Spring Break in Jackson Hole, Wyoming.

I wan't to plan a trip to Canyons in Utah this year. It's so nice being back in Colorado after living with the ****ty skiing in Maine/Vermont/Mass while in the Navy - but I guess I can't complain since I was in Florida before that.

The season has been one of the worst in the last 10, but Winter Park has been getting some fresh pow the last ten days. Slow start, but it's getting there. Copper just opened the Resolution Bowl.

Any word on the Parsenn Bowl in WP? I'll be in Winter Park this weekend if anyone wanted to meet up.

Chris
01-23-2012, 02:04 PM
I had a fancy childhood skiing Vail and Beaver Creek until the lift tickets got ridiculous. Those + Killington, VT (no comparison) are the only mountains I've ever skiied.

Would love to do Copper some time. Want to check out Jennifer Jackson's hole and Sarah Mcglachlan's Whistler at some point.

Drunk Monkey
01-23-2012, 02:16 PM
This thread makes me very very sad. I haven't been skiing in 5 years. I used to go a couple of time a month.

Requiem
01-23-2012, 02:20 PM
Smurf, I frequent that mountain a bit since it's the local resort. If I didn't work 10 hour shifts all weekend, I'd definitely go with you out there.

Mogulseeker
01-23-2012, 02:25 PM
Smurf, I frequent that mountain a bit since it's the local resort. If I didn't work 10 hour shifts all weekend, I'd definitely go with you out there.

Do you live on the Empire or Frasier side of Berthoud?

Mountain Bronco
01-23-2012, 02:26 PM
Finally some snow in the Mountains. My legs are killing me this morning, there isn't much you can do to simulate 18 inches of powder!!!!

Keep it coming.

Smurf, skip Steamboat and go to Telluride or C-Butte. Yeah, Steamboat gets a ton of snow, but the terrain is weak. Taos is a blast hope to make it down there this year. I'd be interested in hearing about the Canyons, but anytime I make it out to Utah I can't be pried away from Alta.

Requiem
01-23-2012, 02:28 PM
Do you live on the Empire or Frasier side of Berthoud?

Fraser side, I'm up in the highlands near Tabernash/Granby.

And yeah, check out Telluride or Crested Butte before you go up to Steamboat. Wasn't that awesome when I went a few days ago.

Mogulseeker
01-23-2012, 02:29 PM
Fraser side, I'm up in the highlands near Tabernash/Granby.

And yeah, check out Telluride or Crested Butte before you go up to Steamboat. Wasn't that awesome when I went a few days ago.

You know where Soda Springs is? Right between Granby and Lake Granby. I got a vacation home there.

gunns
01-23-2012, 02:42 PM
Not much snow this year and finally this last week we got hit in the mountains. Went up yesterday and it was heaven although there could be some more. It was crowded as everyone had been waiting for this.

Cito Pelon
01-23-2012, 09:17 PM
What exactly is the appeal of skiing? The speed?

Que
01-23-2012, 10:05 PM
The Butte went off over the weekend. Finally! The backcountry is super sketch right now and full of idiots trying to off themselves. Oh well.

Mountain Bronco
01-24-2012, 07:17 AM
Yeah, the backcountry is super sketch right now even for the most expert of expert backcountry skiers. Please stay out for the S&R folks safety. If you go, you are endangering more than just you life.

If you don't understand the appeal of skiing it is hard to explain. Speed is only a portion of it and if that is all you are after there are a lot of other ways to get that rush. Although having been clocked around 80 mph it is quite a rush on skis (can't imagine the speed skiers who are around 150mph). Powder skiing is the ultimate as with deep untouched powder it feels like you are flying down the mountain on a pillow of clouds. Nothing like it.

alkemical
01-24-2012, 07:42 AM
www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Indoor%20Skiing

Chris
01-24-2012, 08:18 AM

That's a good question. I think it's a combination of speed, movement... the act of skiing feels awesome. Gotta try it and get to a decent level before you can appreciate it.

Peoples Champ
01-24-2012, 09:17 AM
Yeah, the backcountry is super sketch right now even for the most expert of expert backcountry skiers. Please stay out for the S&R folks safety. If you go, you are endangering more than just you life.

If you don't understand the appeal of skiing it is hard to explain. Speed is only a portion of it and if that is all you are after there are a lot of other ways to get that rush. Although having been clocked around 80 mph it is quite a rush on skis (can't imagine the speed skiers who are around 150mph). Powder skiing is the ultimate as with deep untouched powder it feels like you are flying down the mountain on a pillow of clouds. Nothing like it.

I agree, Powder skiiing really does feel like your flying, even on a snowboard its awesome.

lolcopter
01-24-2012, 11:21 AM
Went to copper on Sunday

Was fun before the power outage knocked out the lifts. Best snow so far this season

Garcia Bronco
01-24-2012, 11:23 AM

It's the high prices and near death experiences people like most.

edog24
01-24-2012, 11:24 AM
The snow has been awful this year. I go to Eldora, mainly because it's close, but they have had the best snow out of all the front range so far this year. The wind up there was apocalyptic this last Sunday.

edog24
01-24-2012, 11:28 AM

It's definitely not for everybody. I gave up on it for about 4 years, my kids got me back into it. The cost, crowds, traffic make it a hard sport to stomach. On top of that the conditions have just sucked this year.

The new fat skis really make it a lot more fun than it use to be 10 years ago IMO.

Pony Boy
01-24-2012, 11:41 AM

This should help

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EEu42L0ufBY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Boobs McGee
01-24-2012, 11:52 AM
Couple things -

Req, never heard back from ya, so I'm assuming you found a job up there? GLad to hear you're settled in!

Smurf - I USED TO LIVE IN SODA SPRINGS!!!! When my family first moved up there, we bought a condo in the last section on the left....we ALSO bought 35 acres back behind there. The big meadow on your right when you get back past the condo was all ours, and we eventually built a house (the acreage continued across the road once you get to the second fork...it's the house on the hill if you take the middle driveway at the second fork). Anywho, after my mom got divorced from my stepdad,we sold everything :( BUT, small world! I can't believe we never talked about that at the last game! Do you ever eat at Caroline's?

Mogulseeker
01-24-2012, 01:38 PM
Couple things -

Req, never heard back from ya, so I'm assuming you found a job up there? GLad to hear you're settled in!

Smurf - I USED TO LIVE IN SODA SPRINGS!!!! When my family first moved up there, we bought a condo in the last section on the left....we ALSO bought 35 acres back behind there. The big meadow on your right when you get back past the condo was all ours, and we eventually built a house (the acreage continued across the road once you get to the second fork...it's the house on the hill if you take the middle driveway at the second fork). Anywho, after my mom got divorced from my stepdad,we sold everything :( BUT, small world! I can't believe we never talked about that at the last game! Do you ever eat at Caroline's?

Dude I ate at Caroline's two weeks ago. Got the loaded chili frieds. It's still operated by Caroline, but it was bought out be Grand Lake Brewery, and is more of a brewpub not.

It's nice having a brewery within walking distance from my middle-of-nowhere ski and party pad, even if they're not allowed to fill growlers because they serve liquor. Something about state law requiring them to get a different liquor license.

RIBEYZE
01-24-2012, 02:39 PM
Heading to Tahoe next week. Outlook is crappy as Heavenly is only 30% open ATM even though they got dumped on this week. Have headed to Durango the last few years and decided it was time for something different. Back to CO next year.

Mountain Bronco
01-25-2012, 01:33 PM
It's definitely not for everybody. I gave up on it for about 4 years, my kids got me back into it. The cost, crowds, traffic make it a hard sport to stomach. On top of that the conditions have just sucked this year.

The new fat skis really make it a lot more fun than it use to be 10 years ago IMO.

City kids.

Mogulseeker
09-11-2013, 10:51 PM
Now that I work for Vail... I'm so excited for demo days and gear uber-cheap.

I'm going to be cruising on three skis this year:

My tree/backcountry ski:
- The Icelantic Seeker/Marker Jester Bindings/Lange XT 130 Boot

My all-mountain ski:
- Dynastar Cham 97/Look Pivot 14 Bindings/Lange XT 130 boot

My front side ski:
- Nordica El Capo/Marker Jester Binding/Salomon X-Mac 130 Boot

OBF1
09-11-2013, 11:33 PM
I always wonder what kind of person has to bring back old threads DURING NFL season... Now I know

lolcopter
09-12-2013, 05:15 AM
Swooped on some boots from sniagrab for $30 and also grabbed a 4 pack to a-basin

Feels good man. I'm pumped for this season, I didn't make it up at all last year

Mogulseeker
03-08-2014, 09:06 PM
Got a posse up to Beaver Creek tomorrow if anyone is down.