PDA

View Full Version : Dennis Allen

MABroncoFan
01-23-2012, 10:17 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/23/dennis-allen-to-get-second-interview-with-raiders/

zdoor
01-23-2012, 10:21 AM
That sucks...

bronco militia
01-23-2012, 10:21 AM
FART

Kaylore
01-23-2012, 10:24 AM
One of the reasons our defense sucks every year is we change coordinators every year. Consistency goes a long way toward not making mental mistakes.

Garcia Bronco
01-23-2012, 10:26 AM
Again, I wouldn't let them interview and every contract would have a non-compete.

crush17
01-23-2012, 10:27 AM
Its ridiculous that we would give a division rival permission to interview our DC...

Kaylore
01-23-2012, 10:28 AM
Its ridiculous that we would give a division rival permission to interview our DC...

You can't stop it if it's a promotion.

Garcia Bronco
01-23-2012, 10:29 AM
You can't stop it if it's a promotion.

I don't think that's correct. the other team has to get your permission.

Kaylore
01-23-2012, 10:30 AM
I don't think that's correct.

It absolutely is correct. You cannot stop an assistant from interviewing for a promotion. Lateral moves are the only ones you can stop.

Smiling Assassin27
01-23-2012, 10:31 AM
I'd look for Winston Moss to be the favorite, given that their GM is a former Packer. They also have a history of pushing the minority angle.

Garcia Bronco
Promotions
The NFL does not differentiate between levels of assistant coaches in its rules regarding their availability to interview with other teams. Whether the coach is a defensive line coach or an offensive coordinator, the rules are the same. If a team wishes to interview an assistant coach who is still under contract with another team for its head coaching position, the current team is required to give permission for the interview as long as it happens between the end of the team's season and March 1. After March 1, teams can still ask, but the current team is not obligated to give permission.

Read more: NFL Rules for Interviewing Assistant Coaches | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_6742856_nfl-rules-interviewing-assistant-coaches.html#ixzz1kIt3xhQq

Bronco Rob
Marty Mornhingweg, Winston Moss, Dom Capers.....

;)

Kid A
01-23-2012, 10:32 AM
It's comical at this point. You would think going young at DC with a first year guy would buy you a couple years no matter how great he did...but no. Another year, another new DC in 2012! Gotta figure the Raiders will favor him in a close contest just due to weakening a division rival.

Lev Vyvanse
01-23-2012, 10:36 AM
Promotions
The NFL does not differentiate between levels of assistant coaches in its rules regarding their availability to interview with other teams. Whether the coach is a defensive line coach or an offensive coordinator, the rules are the same. If a team wishes to interview an assistant coach who is still under contract with another team for its head coaching position, the current team is required to give permission for the interview as long as it happens between the end of the team's season and March 1. After March 1, teams can still ask, but the current team is not obligated to give permission.

Read more: NFL Rules for Interviewing Assistant Coaches | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_6742856_nfl-rules-interviewing-assistant-coaches.html#ixzz1kIt3xhQq

So, he was right.

KO5K
01-23-2012, 10:37 AM
Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about what Allen did this year and for his future.

But I'm not sure his performances warranted serious consideration for a head coaching job.

sgbfan
01-23-2012, 10:38 AM
Promotions

That almost makes it sound like the team has no choice but to let them interview.

DB-Freak
01-23-2012, 10:41 AM
Promotions

reading comprehension bro?

Kaylore
01-23-2012, 10:42 AM
Promotions

That is not correct. At least not for head coaching positions.

http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/2012/01/panthers-cannot-block-chud-from-talking-to-bucs.html

Panthers offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski will interview with Tampa Bay on Tuesday, according to a source close to the man known as “Chud.”

Many fans have asked why the Panthers would allow Chudzinski to talk to a division rival.

In short, they don't have a choice.

NFL teams can't block assistant coaches from interviewing for head-coaching opportunities. So while Ron Rivera conceded recently he would be a bit “uneasy” if Chudzinski wound up in the NFC South, there's nothing Rivera can do to keep him from talking to the Bucs.

Besides, there's nothing stopping a coach from resigning.

BroncoInferno
01-23-2012, 10:42 AM
Again, I wouldn't let them interview and every contract would have a non-compete.

That would be dumb, because you can't attract top coaching talent if you won't allow them the chance to advance their career.

Garcia Bronco
01-23-2012, 10:43 AM
So, he was right.

yep, but it's based on time. Meaning that if someone wants your assistant; all they have to do is not wait until free agency starts. which never happens.

Garcia Bronco
01-23-2012, 10:44 AM
That would be dumb, because you can't attract top coaching talent if you won't allow them the chance to advance their career.

If they're only going to be here for 1 year; what does it matter?

Smiling Assassin27
01-23-2012, 10:44 AM
That almost makes it sound like the team has no choice but to let them interview.

as long as it's before 3/1

sgbfan
01-23-2012, 10:45 AM
Whats the point in "giving permission" if you don't have a choice in the matter? Kind of a dumb formality.

BroncoInferno
01-23-2012, 10:47 AM
If they're only going to be here for 1 year; what does it matter?

What is the alternative? Hire mediocre guys so no one will take them from us? It's the nature of coaching. Talented coordinators are going to pursue head coaching opportunities. I guess the best bet would be to hire a guy who has failed as a head coach, like Spags or Wade Phillips.

Garcia Bronco
01-23-2012, 10:49 AM
What is the alternative? Hire mediocre guys so no one will take them from us? It's the nature of coaching. Talented coordinators are going to pursue head coaching opportunities. I guess the best bet would be to hire a guy who has failed as a head coach, like Spags or Wade Phillips.

The alternative is you hire a coach; make him better and keep him here until his contact is up under proper rules. But the NFL owners have basically yanked non-competes from the contract. Of course you'll have to pay a little more to attract better coaches.

Garcia Bronco
01-23-2012, 10:49 AM
Whats the point in "giving permission" if you don't have a choice in the matter? Kind of a dumb formality.

Precisely.

TheReverend
01-23-2012, 10:50 AM
It absolutely is correct. You cannot stop an assistant from interviewing for a promotion. Lateral moves are the only ones you can stop.

^

BroncoInferno
01-23-2012, 10:52 AM
The alternative is you hire a coach; make him better and keep him here until his contact is up under proper rules. But the NFL owners have basically yanked non-competes from the contract. Of course you'll have to pay a little more to attract better coaches.

Any assistant head coach with ambition is not going to sign a non-compete contract when they have alternatives.

Beantown Bronco
01-23-2012, 10:53 AM
Garcia is basing his whole argument on an ehow link instead of nfl.com and he doesn't see a problem with that.

Good stuff there.

NFLBRONCO
01-23-2012, 10:55 AM
One of the reasons our defense sucks every year is we change coordinators every year. Consistency goes a long way toward not making mental mistakes.

Yep does not help on bit.

HooptyHoops
01-23-2012, 10:58 AM
Man, Allen was a freak hire and I am hoping we get to see the improvements come next year....but, all the reports say he is the top guy to get the job....this sucks!

bowtown
01-23-2012, 11:08 AM

The silver lining is that at least now we have a defensive head coach. Will still be disruptive, but hopefully the overall principals and ideas will be carried through to the next guy. Bad news any way you look at it, but the transition would hopefully be a little less dramatic and Fox's overall philosophies would remain.

cmhargrove
01-23-2012, 11:31 AM
I just have a hard time believing that a one year coordinator would get the HC gig over the more experienced competition, but I guess we'll see soon enough

Kaylore
01-23-2012, 11:32 AM
BTW, there are ways around this (sort of). If you hire someone as a coordinator but making them Assistant Head coach, or like Bobby Turner, who is the "associate Head coach" for Shanahan, a move to coordinator would be lateral or even a downgrade.

gyldenlove
01-23-2012, 11:33 AM

If it is for a HC job you can't do anything.

HILife
01-23-2012, 11:39 AM
Please no. Well at least we still have McCoy.

BroncoBen
01-23-2012, 11:59 AM
I'd look for Winston Moss to be the favorite, given that their GM is a former Packer. They also have a history of pushing the minority angle.

I just heard a report that Winston Moss pretty much blew his interview.. so that is why the Raiders are going back and re-interviewing candidates. But expect them to interview some new candidates as well, maybe some coaches with the Ravens.

sgbfan
01-23-2012, 12:08 PM
Do you think we can rehire him next year when he gets fired from the Raiders job? Maybe it's a ploy by Fox, ala McDaniels with Denver. Maybe we can trade Brady Quinn for Mcfadden!

oubronco
01-23-2012, 12:18 PM
Damn, it sure would be nice to have some continuity on the Defense for a change

RaiderH8r
01-23-2012, 12:28 PM
First, we could demote Fox to Assistant Head Coach and promote Allen to HC. That solves the problem right there. BAM. Solutions.

Second, Cam Cameron is not getting along with Flacco so he may very well be available soon. Not that he'll necessarily get fired but he may be looking to get out from under. I also assume the 9ers staff will be ripe for picking over by the Fade. All hope is not lost. Hell, isn't Art Shell still kicking? Maybe the Fade want to take him for another spin. It's times like these that I miss Al Davis.

Garcia Bronco
01-23-2012, 12:57 PM
Garcia is basing his whole argument on an ehow link instead of nfl.com and he doesn't see a problem with that.

Good stuff there.

There he is

Garcia Bronco
01-23-2012, 02:00 PM
And...I am not arguing anything other than it sucks we have to lose our consistency at a position that has no consistency. The ehow link will do. It's really no different than the NFL site.

teknic
01-23-2012, 02:03 PM
First, we could demote Fox to Assistant Head Coach and promote Allen to HC. That solves the problem right there. BAM. Solutions.

Second, Cam Cameron is not getting along with Flacco so he may very well be available soon. Not that he'll necessarily get fired but he may be looking to get out from under. I also assume the 9ers staff will be ripe for picking over by the Fade. All hope is not lost. Hell, isn't Art Shell still kicking? Maybe the Fade want to take him for another spin. It's times like these that I miss Al Davis.

No thank you.

I have no interest in a coordinator that only runs 8 times in a game when he has Rice at HB and Flacco at QB.

Beantown Bronco
01-23-2012, 02:05 PM
The ehow link will do. It's really no different than the NFL site.

Aside from the fact that it claims the exact opposite in this case.

RaiderH8r
01-23-2012, 02:07 PM
No thank you.

I have no interest in a coordinator that only runs 8 times in a game when he has Rice at HB and Flacco at QB.

No, not for us. For the Fade. Keep their grubby little d***skinners off our DC.

Also...Ray Rice should be a Bronco next year. It's unlikely but hell, it's the offseason, if the Chorfs can be offseason SB Champs then we can land Ray Rice. Hope springs eternal.

Pseudofool
01-23-2012, 02:10 PM
If teams expect to hire talented/ambitious coordinators in the future, it'd be foolish to deny current talented/ambitious coordinators interviews.

UberBroncoMan
01-23-2012, 02:14 PM
Hopefully Capers gets the gig I guess since he has the Green Bay connection.

chickennob2
01-23-2012, 03:07 PM
I think its funny that we hired Dennis Allen a to get some of that Gregg Williams Saints defense mojo. A year later, Williams is fired and Allen is a head coaching candidate.

Mountain Bronco
01-23-2012, 03:12 PM
^^^ maybe it was Allen mojo that propped up Williams. Seriously, it is all about talent, talent, talent. Spags was great with talent, McD was great with talent, Shanny was great with talent etc.... Williams did a ton with the Saint's but their talent level was not as high this year on D.

That One Guy
01-23-2012, 03:21 PM
BTW, there are ways around this (sort of). If you hire someone as a coordinator but making them Assistant Head coach, or like Bobby Turner, who is the "associate Head coach" for Shanahan, a move to coordinator would be lateral or even a downgrade.

It doesn't matter what you call the guy as long as they're just taking him for a coordinator. The only mandatory permission position is HC. GM MIGHT be one but I don't recall.

There's been cases recently where position coaches were mentioned as possible coordinators but the team has refused to let them interview.

And maybe I misread something in this thread but I could've swore Garcia said teams didn't have to allow a coach to interview for HC, Kaylore said they did, then Garcia posted a link saying that permission was mandatory, and then people made fun of Garcia's source. I'm so confused...

2KBack
01-23-2012, 03:41 PM
It doesn't matter what you call the guy as long as they're just taking him for a coordinator. The only mandatory permission position is HC. GM MIGHT be one but I don't recall.

There's been cases recently where position coaches were mentioned as possible coordinators but the team has refused to let them interview.

And maybe I misread something in this thread but I could've swore Garcia said teams didn't have to allow a coach to interview for HC, Kaylore said they did, then Garcia posted a link saying that permission was mandatory, and then people made fun of Garcia's source. I'm so confused...

it's reversed. Garcia, said he would never allow anyone to interview if he was the team. Khan pointed out that for promotions, teams are required to permit them to interview

broncolife
01-23-2012, 04:02 PM
So are we allowed to interview for Defensive and Offensive Coordinators while our Coordinators are openly trying to leave the team.

bendog
01-23-2012, 04:16 PM
I don't know. I think it'd be sort of counterproductive since the organization probably wants to make the coordinators think they have more stability, a better social environment and enough money. I don't see what's wrong with a guy looking.

I think the Mia gig is pretty attractive. Ownership/fans/pretty big media market. I'm surprised that Oak is showing that much interest in Allen. I think he's proven to be a good DC after having worked for Williamson, whose tenure in nola didn't end too well. But Allen has a pretty thin resume, and Oak notoriously needs someone who can lay down the law.

R8R H8R
01-23-2012, 04:32 PM
I find it interesting that since evil Al is dead, the faiders sure do have a lot more interest in the HC job than when he was alive. That is why he could/would only interview young coordinators like Shanny & Gruden.

No one with any experience would ever be interested in being evil Al's puppet. Except, of course, Art Shell. :D

Hamrob
01-23-2012, 06:38 PM
Smart on the Raiders part.....get your new head coach, a young ambitious guy....whiel at the same time weakening your division apponent. They actually wanted both of our guys. I can hear them now....so, tell us what you were thinking here....and a team does x...what do you do??

Crow
01-23-2012, 08:01 PM
Smart on the Raiders part.....get your new head coach, a young ambitious guy....whiel at the same time weakening your division apponent. They actually wanted both of our guys. I can hear them now....so, tell us what you were thinking here....and a team does x...what do you do??

That's just smart football.

Besides, if Allen is running Fox's defense, Fox will assign someone capable of running that same scheme, if he doesn't just decide to do it himself.

The voice will change, but everything else stays in place. I don't think continuity is a great concern.

TheReverend
01-23-2012, 08:13 PM
So are we allowed to interview for Defensive and Offensive Coordinators while our Coordinators are openly trying to leave the team.

No

That One Guy
01-23-2012, 09:33 PM
I think every team that hires a new HC from somewhere else should do it on the last day of February so they still have mandatory access to hire the guy away but the other team doesn't have mandatory access to get his replacement.

cutthemdown
01-23-2012, 09:37 PM

School begins again. Ugg Bronco offseasons.

Crow
01-23-2012, 09:50 PM
I think every team that hires a new HC from somewhere else should do it on the last day of February so they still have mandatory access to hire the guy away but the other team doesn't have mandatory access to get his replacement.

lolno

strafen
01-23-2012, 10:41 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/23/dennis-allen-to-get-second-interview-with-raiders/Dom Capers will be a good choice for the Raiders...

jutang
01-23-2012, 11:11 PM
Someone tell the Raiders that McD is available.

Raider9175
01-24-2012, 08:41 AM

Only thing you can't stop- if its for head coach. If it a position coach going for a coordinator job that you can block. Dennis Allen can't wait to see the Staff he assembles in oakland.

Good for you to experience your former coach thriving with a divisonal rival.

Binkythefrog
01-24-2012, 08:42 AM
I do think Allen leaving is potentially a big worry, but I also think we are totally underselling the improved talent level on the defense. We possibly could find that next d-coordinator that could take the Broncos to a top 10 D!

The Broncos have made some big upgrades (Bunk, Miller, Dumervil back, Harris) and some decent upgrades (Carter, Ayers improving on his own). Personnel stability is also key. We saw the Broncos improve over the course of the year, and I think a big part of that was the players becoming more comfortable with each other.

I think of the Giants (continuity on the d line), Ravens (Reed, Lewis) as examples of teams that have seen changes in D-Coordinators but continued to be relatively successful.

LetsGoBroncos
01-24-2012, 09:53 AM
Sounds like he's gone. I'm shocked. Who hires a first year defensive coordinator to be the head coach unless he turned the D into the #1 D in the league or something?

So who do we go after now?

MABroncoFan
01-24-2012, 10:02 AM
So, who will be our 8th DC in 8 yrs?

UPDATE: ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter has reported just prior to high noon EST on Tuesday that the Oakland Raiders "have identified Broncos DC Dennis Allen as the leading candidate to become their next HC." Moreover, the club has told other candidates that they are out of the running.

It appears we could be on the cusp of an official decision.

bowtown
01-24-2012, 10:10 AM
Sounds like he's gone. I'm shocked. Who hires a first year defensive coordinator to be the head coach unless he turned the D into the #1 D in the league or something?

I'm confident that Fox will identify a worthy replacement.

TheReverend
01-24-2012, 10:11 AM
Meh

i4jelway7
01-24-2012, 10:11 AM
OMG Dennis Allen please don't go to the Raiders.. we finally have a defense and now we are going to lose our best DC in the last 10 years to the motha*uckin faiders

Oakland will make you the scapegoat for their sh**ty organization

TheReverend
01-24-2012, 10:12 AM
I'm confident that Fox will identify a worthy replacement.

...Are you trying to tell me you're not that concerned that we won't have the guy that lead us to the bottom half of the league in every statistical category with probably the most talented defense we've had since 2005?!?!

ColoradoBuff
01-24-2012, 10:12 AM
fock.....Allen to the Raiders!

Beantown Bronco
01-24-2012, 10:13 AM
OMG Dennis Allen please don't go to the Raiders.. we finally have a defense and now we are going to lose our best DC in the last 10 years to the motha*uckin faiders

Mike Nolan says hi!

TheReverend
01-24-2012, 10:14 AM
Mike Nolan says hi!

That. Allen is hands down the most overrated coordinator I've witnessed since Cam Cameron and Josh McDaniels.

i4jelway7
01-24-2012, 10:31 AM
Mike Nolan says hi!

Mike who? we hardly knew you

Pick Six
01-24-2012, 10:49 AM

This is the Raiders, and Al Davis lives...:thumbs:

snowspot66
01-24-2012, 11:01 AM
...Are you trying to tell me you're not that concerned that we won't have the guy that lead us to the bottom half of the league in every statistical category with probably the most talented defense we've had since 2005?!?!

Let's be fair. That's not exactly a high bar to jump.

Ugly Duck
01-24-2012, 11:14 AM
I just have a hard time believing that a one year coordinator would get the HC gig over the more experienced competition, but I guess we'll see soon enough

Its been done before...... Jon Gruden only had one year as a coordinator before he was picked for HC. Dunno much about Allen 'cept for the Bronco D sucked pretty bad in the 1st half of the season - rated out at #27 in total yards against during that time span. Picked it up a bit in the 2nd half of the season, Bronco's D came in at #14 in the second half. Then got trashed in the playoffs giving up over 450 yards per game. Them's not stellar numbers.

bowtown
01-24-2012, 11:39 AM

I'm a little concerned. He was overrated, but I thought he had potential and I always prefer consistency. But even though the game plans may have been Allen's, the fundamentals and philosophy belongs to Fox. The benefit to having a defensive head coach is that you can change coordinators without entirely overhauling the system. I guarantee no new DC is going to come in here and suddenly switch us to a 3-4 next year.

So yeah, I would have preferred to see Allen stick around a little longer, but no, I'm not overly concerned about it.

I also think it will take him at least 3 years to get his footing in Oakland, which means he'll probably be fired after 2.

Garcia Bronco
01-24-2012, 11:45 AM
We'd have to "over haul" the system and change the vocab because our DC just went to go coach our rival.

bronco militia
01-24-2012, 11:47 AM
We'd have to "over haul" the system and change the vocab because our DC just went to go coach our rival.

Hilarious!

bowtown
01-24-2012, 11:48 AM

Yes, the terminology might change. The system doesn't have to though. You do realize that game plans vary from week to week, right?

Garcia Bronco
01-24-2012, 12:28 PM
Yes, the terminology might change. The system doesn't have to though. You do realize that game plans vary from week to week, right?

Vary is the word, but the base of what you do is the same.

bowtown
01-24-2012, 12:30 PM
Vary is the word, but the base of what you do is the same.

Do you think it's really a huge secret what each team's base defensive philosophy and scheme is?

R8R H8R
01-24-2012, 01:39 PM
I would be Ok w/ whoever Fox brings in. The fact that both coordinators are serious HC candidates after 1 year of autonomy in playcalling tells me Fox is pretty good in evaluating coaching talent.

And yes, I am fully aware that McCoy was not hired by Fox, but he certainly did not have to retain him, and he did.

Bronco Rob
01-24-2012, 01:40 PM
Dave Krieger@DaveKriegerReply
Retweet

Favorite

Richard Smith, Jack Del Rio potential replacements for Dennis Allen as #Broncos defensive coordinator http://www.850koa.com/pages/krieger.html

https://twitter.com/#!/DaveKrieger

tebowisdabomb
01-24-2012, 01:50 PM
Chucky B would love to have the job

UberBroncoMan
01-24-2012, 02:07 PM
https://twitter.com/#!/DaveKrieger

Richard Smith as in former Houston Texans Defensive Coordinator Richard Smith?

ROFL!!!

Way to move on up in DC's Denver.