PDA

View Full Version : Joe Philbin beats out Broncosí Mike McCoy for Dolphins job

Bronco Rob
01-21-2012, 08:24 AM
Joe Philbin beats out Broncosí Mike McCoy for Dolphins job

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/01/20/joe-philbin-beats-out-mike-mccoy-for-dolphins-job/11974/

:sunshine:

tsiguy96
01-21-2012, 08:35 AM
damn

Bronx33
01-21-2012, 08:36 AM
Boooooooo!!!!!! hissssssssssssssssssssssssss!!! the dolphins really missed out on a great offensive minded genius!!

ghwk
01-21-2012, 08:41 AM
McCoy lost to Regis Philbin?

Kaylore
01-21-2012, 08:42 AM
Try to be optimistic.

Those who hate him: He may be interviewed by another team seeing as he is a hot commodity right now.

Those who like him: We will have continuity at the position for another year.

Agamemnon
01-21-2012, 08:43 AM
Green Bay's OC or ours. Man that must have been a tough choice. Hilarious!

Dedhed
01-21-2012, 08:48 AM

LOL

chickennob2
01-21-2012, 08:53 AM
As a Memphis fan who saw Rip Scherer repeatedly fail spectacularly while coaching our program, I'm happy that he won't be joining the staff.

Mile High 81
01-21-2012, 08:58 AM

Hmm. Green Bays OC doesnt call plays, our OC calls plays. Green Bays OC has Rodergs one of the best QB in football. Our Oc has Tebow a very raw QB..

i hope they know in miami that Rodergs stays in Green Bay..

BroncoBuff
01-21-2012, 09:04 AM
I'm not complaining about McCoy anymore ... assuming he called this play.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2vmoq6pUfIY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Agamemnon
01-21-2012, 09:07 AM
Hmm. Green Bays OC doesnt call plays, our OC calls plays. Green Bays OC has Rodergs one of the best QB in football. Our Oc has Tebow a very raw QB..

Our OC has called plays for one whole season and did the worst job of it in the history of the universe...

Rohirrim
01-21-2012, 09:08 AM
Good.

Agamemnon
01-21-2012, 09:09 AM
I'm not complaining about McCoy anymore ... assuming he called this play.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2vmoq6pUfIY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yes the play that worked so well because he called run plays on 95% of the 1st downs in that game. Yeah that one play totally negates his utter failure all game up until that point. ::)

Flex Gunmetal
01-21-2012, 09:13 AM
Our OC has called plays for one whole season and did the worst job of it in the history of the universe...

Which, naturally, is why he's being interviewed for head coaching positions and/or declining interviews from other teams.

These people with careers in football are fugging idiots!

Ray Finkle
01-21-2012, 09:16 AM
Try to be optimistic.

Those who hate him: He may be interviewed by another team seeing as he is a hot commodity right now.

I'm along these lines....hopefully they can bring in someone like Fassel to work mechanics with Tebow this offseason.

Agamemnon
01-21-2012, 09:21 AM
Which, naturally, is why he's being interviewed for head coaching positions and/or declining interviews from other teams.

These people with careers in football are fugging idiots!

Just keep on ****ing that chicken dip****.

http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/matt-millen1.jpg

Lev Vyvanse
01-21-2012, 09:22 AM

Flynn won't be staying.

Flex Gunmetal
01-21-2012, 09:25 AM
Just keep on ****ing that chicken dip****.

http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/matt-millen1.jpg

notsursifsrs

Gort
01-21-2012, 09:27 AM

i've told you a million times, stop exaggerating!

to be fair, McCoy wasn't completely inept, he was just maddeningly conventional and stubborn at times. that's what was so frustrating. part of it was the game plan. part of it was not really believing Tebow could succeed in the passing game. part of it was probably inexperience (i blame McOcy for most of our delay of game penalties because it became clear to me he struggled to quickly find the next play, rather than having a mental strategy thought out in advance that he was trying to implement).

McCoy is getting courtesy interviews right now, but he's not serious HC material for anyone yet. he needs a bit more seasoning and a bit more success before he comes in to interview as the favorite to get a job.

Agamemnon
01-21-2012, 09:28 AM
notsursifsrs

Someone would like to trade you his liver for a case of beer.

http://www.harrywalker.com/images/photos/large/Ditka_Mike.jpg

Agamemnon
01-21-2012, 09:30 AM
i've told you a million times, stop exaggerating!

I've never before in my life watched an offense and felt like I knew exactly what they were going to do on 80% of their plays, so I don't really feel like I'm exaggerating.

Rohirrim
01-21-2012, 09:36 AM
Yes the play that worked so well because he called run plays on 95% of the 1st downs in that game. Yeah that one play totally negates his utter failure all game up until that point. ::)

Uhh Didn't we win that game?

Flex Gunmetal
01-21-2012, 09:38 AM
Someone would like to trade you his liver for a case of beer.

http://www.harrywalker.com/images/photos/large/Ditka_Mike.jpg

Are you trying to make some sort of point?

B-Love
01-21-2012, 09:41 AM
As Philbin watched his Packer Receivers drops several balls last week, he got his first taste of what it will be like working with Brandon Marshall. LOL

Agamemnon
01-21-2012, 09:42 AM
Uhh Didn't we win that game?

Does winning a game mean that a coordinator doesn't suck?

Drek
01-21-2012, 09:44 AM

You really act like an idiot sometimes.

Instead of making blanket statements like "worst job of it in the history of the universe" why not consider the reality of McCoy's situation?

1. new QB coming out of the bye week with a skill set completely different from the previous QB's.

2. An OL with maddening inconsistencies in pass pro.

3. WRs who are a coin toss to actually catch balls that hit them square in the hands.

4. A boss (Fox) who wants to grind out the game running the ball and win with defense.

5. An OL and RB stable who do their best when getting a ton of carries.

Was McCoy overly conservative? Sure. But a big part of that stems from a lack of preparation and opportunity. Why not wait and see what a full off-season of McCoy getting to work with these pieces, with an OL that is more experienced and further coached up by Magazu before we start assuming the 2011 Mike McCoy is all there can ever be.

Rohirrim
01-21-2012, 09:44 AM

It's the base criteria in the league for hiring and firing coaches. Let's put it that way.

Flex Gunmetal
01-21-2012, 09:50 AM

Instead of making blanket statements like "worst job of it in the history of the universe" why not consider the reality of McCoy's situation?

1. new QB coming out of the bye week with a skill set completely different from the previous QB's.

3. WRs who are a coin toss to actually catch balls that hit them square in the hands.

4. A boss (Fox) who wants to grind out the game running the ball and win with defense.

Was McCoy overly conservative? Sure. But a big part of that stems from a lack of preparation and opportunity. Why not wait and see what a full off-season of McCoy getting to work with these pieces, with an OL that is more experienced and further coached up by Magazu before we start assuming the 2011 Mike McCoy is all there can ever be.

Don't waste your time. He's plainly retarded.

Agamemnon
01-21-2012, 09:51 AM
Are you trying to make some sort of point?

Even the illustrious Mike Lynn shakes his head at how obtuse you are.

http://www.worldleagueofamericanfootball.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/Mike_Lynn.jpg

Agamemnon
01-21-2012, 09:53 AM
It's the base criteria in the league for hiring and firing coaches. Let's put it that way.

Then let's not forget all the games we barely broke 10 points...

Agamemnon
01-21-2012, 09:54 AM
Don't waste your time. He's plainly retarded.

Well I'm not employed by an NFL team, so I must be. ::)

db56
01-21-2012, 09:54 AM

So your take is that McCoy is just a terrible playcaller because of this single season, calling plays for a the youngest offense in the NFL, with a inexperienced QB who obviously needs a ton of work on basic throwing mechanics and reading NFL defenses.

I'm on record saying that I'm on board with Tebow and believe he will learn the skills to be a NFL QB but your just insane if you dont think that Tebow's flaws didnt effect McCoy's playcalling.

I often wonder (sarcasm) if McCoy's playcalling approach would change if he got hired as the OC of a team with a veteran Qb that can dictate NFL defenses, like the Patriots or Saints? Hmmmm...

Agamemnon
01-21-2012, 09:56 AM

How does any of that negate that anyone who knows anything about football could predict what the Broncos were going to do on any given play based on formation and down and distance?

To me being the most predictable play-caller I've ever seen, means he's pretty much the worst, but I guess not everyone values the same things in play-calling.

Agamemnon
01-21-2012, 09:59 AM
So your take is that McCoy is just a terrible playcaller because of this single season, calling plays for a the youngest offense in the NFL, with a inexperienced QB who obviously needs a ton of work on basic throwing mechanics and reading NFL defenses.

I'm on record saying that I'm on board with Tebow and believe he will learn the skills to be a NFL QB but your just insane if you dont think that Tebow's flaws didnt effect McCoy's playcalling.

I often wonder (sarcasm) if McCoy's playcalling approach would change if he got hired as the OC of a team with a veteran Qb that can dictate NFL defenses, like the Patriots or Saints? Hmmmm...

My take is that McCoy is hot garbage. Keep arguing all you want otherwise, but I've never seen more predictable play-calling in my life, and I have no desire to see what he might manage in the future because, again, Mike McCoy is hot garbage.

Flex Gunmetal
01-21-2012, 09:59 AM
Even the illustrious Mike Lynn shakes his head at how obtuse you are.

http://www.worldleagueofamericanfootball.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/Mike_Lynn.jpg

I get that you somehow think posting pictures of of people who orchestrated bad trades (or bad drafting) somehow reinforces your point, but, sadly, these examples are completely irrelevant to the situation which we are currently discussing.

Game day coaching and executive personnel decisions aren't the same thing.
Please stop posting, you are such an idiot it's depressing.

Agamemnon
01-21-2012, 10:02 AM
I get that you somehow think posting pictures of of people who orchestrated bad trades (or bad drafting) somehow reinforces your point, but, sadly, these examples are completely irrelevant to the situation which we are currently discussing.

They're irrelevant to your constant claims that people who have jobs running NFL teams must know what they are doing?

I'm actually starting to suspect you might have brain damage...

Agamemnon
01-21-2012, 10:03 AM

Oh the irony. Hilarious!

Flex Gunmetal
01-21-2012, 10:07 AM
They're irrelevant to your constant claims that people who have jobs running NFL teams must know what they are doing?

I'm actually starting to suspect you might have brain damage...

So, in your opinion the NFL community is rewarding McCoy by making him a candidate for the highest coaching position in the NFL because he is terrible at his job?

Good job bro

http://i.imgur.com/NKIX7.png

Flex Gunmetal
01-21-2012, 10:08 AM
Oh the irony. Hilarious!

Again, a strong point backed up by factually based opinion and insight.

Agamemnon
01-21-2012, 10:11 AM
So, in your opinion the NFL community is rewarding McCoy by making him a candidate for the highest coaching position in the NFL because he is terrible at his job?

Good job bro

No they are making him a candidate because they are stupid, and actually think his ****ty job as our OC actually helped us reach 8-8, when the truth is we reached 8-8 despite how much he sucks.

Agamemnon
01-21-2012, 10:12 AM
Again, a strong point backed up by factually based opinion and insight.

And again, irony. Ha!

Agamemnon
01-21-2012, 10:17 AM
Seriously Flex, do you even understand how logic works?

You take the position that football execs must know best because they are football execs and we fans are not. I provide examples of football execs who went full retard thereby negating your claim. And you completely miss it, and instead post a giant picture of a laughing dude in some form of derision despite the clear evidence that the basis of your very argument is a joke.

And you have the balls to question my intelligence? Ha!

KO5K
01-21-2012, 10:29 AM

Good job bro

http://media.nj.com/giants_impact/photo/josh-mcdaniels-broncos-8721d89110362871_large.jpg

Drek
01-21-2012, 10:43 AM
How does any of that negate that anyone who knows anything about football could predict what the Broncos were going to do on any given play based on formation and down and distance?

To me being the most predictable play-caller I've ever seen, means he's pretty much the worst, but I guess not everyone values the same things in play-calling.

When did predictability equal quality in play calling?

I can guarantee you that the Patriots are going to throw 60% of the time if not more and of that 60% at least half will be thrown to Welker, Gronkowski, or Hernandez. Doesn't mean you can stop it any better.

I can guarantee that the 49ers are going to let Frank Gore run the ball a ton this weekend against the Giants. doesn't mean the Giants are definitely going to stop it.

McCoy was faced with these options:
1. Run the ball with an OL that is strong in run blocking with RBs who hit their lanes and get positive yardage.

2. Throw the ball with an OL who might just let a pass rusher walk through untouched to the QB. If they don't your QB might not make the right read because he's young. Even if he makes the right read he might not get a good throw off. Even if he gets a good throw off the receiver catching the ball is a 50/50 proposition.

You act like our conservative offense is McCoy don't having faith in Tebow when it is just as likely a sign of poor faith in our OL to do their job or our receivers to actually catch key passes. How many times can he let Tebow throw the ball if the receivers can't catch?

In reality it is a combination of the three facets of our passing game that forced us to be conservative. I'd agree that we were far too conservative. But then we also were far too unprepared for the talent change we had to make.

In the Wild Card round when the OL showed an ability to protect Tebow and the receivers were actually catching it did he not let Tebow air it out? Or were those 300 pass yards a figment of my imagination? He's obviously willing to let Tim throw as long as there is reason to believe the three facets of our passing game are all actually working. But that didn't happen a whole lot this season.

McCoy's hands were tied this year by all the reasons I in the previous post. Now he gets a chance to show what he's capable of by building an offensive system that plays to the strengths of our best players and coming up with balanced scripts to call on Sundays next September. If come then he's still a run/run/pass/punt guy then we've got a problem and I'll gladly cheer for his replacement. But we'll have to wait and see on that. As of right now he's a guy who did some quick thinking when put in a precarious position offensively, while being told repeatedly not to put the defense in holes by his defense first boss.

Flex Gunmetal
01-21-2012, 10:44 AM
Seriously Flex, do you even understand how logic works?

You take the position that football execs must know best because they are football execs and we fans are not. I provide examples of football execs who went full retard thereby negating your claim. And you completely miss it, and instead post a giant picture of a laughing dude in some form of derision despite the clear evidence that the basis of your very argument is a joke.

And you have the balls to question my intelligence? Ha!
Your density is matched only by your stubbornness.
You think the hershel walker trade and matt millens failures as a gm somehow negate the fact that mccoys stock is at an all time high for eating coal and shtting diamonds?
I didn't miss your point, it was a weak straw to grasp so I lent it little consideration.
Do you ever wonder why no one here thinks you have any credibility? For a time I thought you were just trolling, unfortunately you are just a moron.

Flex Gunmetal
01-21-2012, 10:46 AM
http://media.nj.com/giants_impact/photo/josh-mcdaniels-broncos-8721d89110362871_large.jpg
Dude OCed a 16-0 squad. Hindsight is 20/20.

Agamemnon
01-21-2012, 10:53 AM
When did predictability equal quality in play calling?

I can guarantee you that the Patriots are going to throw 60% of the time if not more and of that 60% at least half will be thrown to Welker, Gronkowski, or Hernandez. Doesn't mean you can stop it any better.

I can guarantee that the 49ers are going to let Frank Gore run the ball a ton this weekend against the Giants. doesn't mean the Giants are definitely going to stop it.

McCoy was faced with these options:
1. Run the ball with an OL that is strong in run blocking with RBs who hit their lanes and get positive yardage.

2. Throw the ball with an OL who might just let a pass rusher walk through untouched to the QB. If they don't your QB might not make the right read because he's young. Even if he makes the right read he might not get a good throw off. Even if he gets a good throw off the receiver catching the ball is a 50/50 proposition.

You act like our conservative offense is McCoy don't having faith in Tebow when it is just as likely a sign of poor faith in our OL to do their job or our receivers to actually catch key passes. How many times can he let Tebow throw the ball if the receivers can't catch?

In reality it is a combination of the three facets of our passing game that forced us to be conservative. I'd agree that we were far too conservative. But then we also were far too unprepared for the talent change we had to make.

In the Wild Card round when the OL showed an ability to protect Tebow and the receivers were actually catching it did he not let Tebow air it out? Or were those 300 pass yards a figment of my imagination? He's obviously willing to let Tim throw as long as there is reason to believe the three facets of our passing game are all actually working. But that didn't happen a whole lot this season.

McCoy's hands were tied this year by all the reasons I in the previous post. Now he gets a chance to show what he's capable of by building an offensive system that plays to the strengths of our best players and coming up with balanced scripts to call on Sundays next September. If come then he's still a run/run/pass/punt guy then we've got a problem and I'll gladly cheer for his replacement. But we'll have to wait and see on that. As of right now he's a guy who did some quick thinking when put in a precarious position offensively, while being told repeatedly not to put the defense in holes by his defense first boss.

In other words we do value different things in play-calling. And it's not just a matter of being predictable regarding run vs. pass in general. It's a matter of being so predictable that a layman like myself could generally diagnose what type of run or pass we were going go with based off of formation and down and distance. Certain formations on certain downs led to option plays or dives the vast majority of the time. If we lined up in a spread formation on third down it was almost always a QB draw. And so forth and so on.

To me play-calling's number one purpose is to keep the defense guessing and reacting rather than attacking, and therefore the level to which the play-calling is predictable or not is the number one thing I look at. You value other things apparently, and that's you business. But by my standards, McCoy showed himself to be a crap OC this season. To each their own.

Agamemnon
01-21-2012, 10:54 AM
Dude OCed a 16-0 squad. Hindsight is 20/20.

And then was given full control over an entire football team by those brilliant football execs who must know what they are doing or they wouldn't have the jobs they have. ::)

Agamemnon
01-21-2012, 10:56 AM
Your density is matched only by your stubbornness.
You think the hershel walker trade and matt millens failures as a gm somehow negate the fact that mccoys stock is at an all time high for eating coal and shtting diamonds?
I didn't miss your point, it was a weak straw to grasp so I lent it little consideration.
Do you ever wonder why no one here thinks you have any credibility? For a time I thought you were just trolling, unfortunately you are just a moron.

So...no, you don't understand how logic works. Thanks for making that clear.

Flex Gunmetal
01-21-2012, 11:02 AM
So...no, you don't understand how logic works. Thanks for making that clear.

My point wasnt that nfl execs are flawless, it was that mccoy got credit around the league for doing fielding a decent offense comprised of inferior talent.
It's not difficult to understand.

KO5K
01-21-2012, 11:13 AM
My point wasnt that nfl execs are flawless, it was that mccoy got credit around the league for doing fielding a decent offense comprised of inferior talent.

It's not hard to understand that it's possible McCoy is being given unwarranted credit by NFL execs.

Who by the way, in two cases have decided not to hire him.

Drek
01-21-2012, 11:14 AM
In other words we do value different things in play-calling. And it's not just a matter of being predictable regarding run vs. pass in general. It's a matter of being so predictable that a layman like myself could generally diagnose what type of run or pass we were going go with based off of formation and down and distance. Certain formations on certain downs led to option plays or dives the vast majority of the time. If we lined up in a spread formation on third down it was almost always a QB draw. And so forth and so on.

To me play-calling's number one purpose is to keep the defense guessing and reacting rather than attacking, and therefore the level to which the play-calling is predictable or not is the number one thing I look at. You value other things apparently, and that's you business. But by my standards, McCoy showed himself to be a crap OC this season. To each their own.
Ok, then explain how you call a balanced offense when you have the following handicaps:

1. WRs who can't catch.
2. OL who will let defenders rush through untouched on passing downs.
3. Aged starting RB who only really excels between the tackles and can't catch.
4. Blocking FB who can't stay on the field, no depth behind him.
5. Only one TE who can block worth a damn.
6. QB who (as with all young players) misses open targets or makes bad reads and has footwork issues that lead to erratic pass accuracy.
7. A mandate from the HC to help his defense win the field position battle.

Knowing that what exactly was McCoy supposed to do? The playbook is short and simple because we didn't have the time to install anything else or the talent to take risks and bet on our talent beating their talent when we need it to.

So you take what you know works, which happens to be McGahee between the tackles as often as possible as that is the safe yardage gainer. His willingness to let Tebow freestyle and run the option is him acknowledging this issue and relying on Tebow's talent to make up for it in the short term.

You are trying to label him based on a small sampling of his work that was done in far less than optimal conditions. If he's still so vanilla with his offense next year then you'll have a point, but right now your complaints are the equivalent of you bitching to your folks that their financial planner is being too safe with their portfolio when they're within 5 years of retirement and have just enough to maintain standard of living through a reasonable life expectancy.

There are times to gamble and there are times to play it safe. When the defense and running game came alive thanks to Tebow's game management and running skills, allowing us to climb to the top of the division after a 1-4 start, it clearly wasn't the time to start rolling the dice. When the Steelers were up on us with two successive scoring drives in a win or go home playoff game it was time to take some shots and he McCoy did just that with great success.

Flex Gunmetal
01-21-2012, 11:16 AM
It's not hard to understand that it's possible McCoy is being given unwarranted credit by NFL execs.

Who by the way, in two cases have decided not to hire him.

Sure, but I disagree with you.

I can see why you new tebow fans would want to think that mccoy somehow handcuffed tebow, instead of vice versa.

Us Broncos fans will be happy with an improved offense, better record, and a playoff win.
We'll stay here for a long time, you guys will make your last posts here the day Tebow is on another team, if that ever happens.

Flex Gunmetal
01-21-2012, 11:17 AM
And then was given full control over an entire football team by those brilliant football execs who must know what they are doing or they wouldn't have the jobs they have. ::)

Yep, and that was a mistake.
I like how you turn my position into whatever argument suits you. Makes for the good discussion everyone here expects from you.

Agamemnon
01-21-2012, 11:18 AM

Oh I understand it. I just don't care. It's a stupid conclusion based on false suppositions. Our offense was bad before Tebow came in, and once Tebow came in the only thing that wasn't bad (the running game) wasn't bad because our QB was tacking on 50 extra yards per game. Any football exec who thinks running two receiver power sets with some option with a young, spread option QB, is adapting to that QB, is a moron, and all these McCoy interviews only prove to me that a lot of football execs around the league are morons.

KO5K
01-21-2012, 11:20 AM
Sure, but I disagree with you.

Hilarious!

http://www.joshmcdanielssucks.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/McDaniels-Fired.jpg

Rohirrim
01-21-2012, 11:21 AM
Oh I understand it. I just don't care. It's a stupid conclusion based on false suppositions. Our offense was bad before Tebow came in, and once Tebow came in the only thing that wasn't bad (the running game) wasn't bad because our QB was tacking on 50 extra yards per game. Any football exec who thinks running two receiver power sets with some option with a young, spread option QB, is adapting to that QB, is a moron, and all these McCoy interviews only prove to me that a lot of football execs around the league are morons.

And how much of that "50 extra yards per game" was caused by a QB who couldn't read what the D was doing, missed his first read, couldn't make his second read, and then took off, which of course would mean that something other than a run was called by the OC, but the play goes down in the books as a run.

Agamemnon
Yep, and that was a mistake.
I like how you turn my position into whatever argument suits you. Makes for the good discussion everyone here expects from you.

You argue that McCoy's apparent high stock with multiple football execs must mean something because they know what they are doing. Then I point out that football execs often have no clue what they are doing. And now I'm turning your position to whatever suits me? Oh you're special. Hilarious!

KO5K
All these McCoy interviews only prove to me that a lot of football execs around the league are morons.

Only one team interviewed him.

The other decided to hire someone else before they could even bother interviewing McCoy.

And the idiot turned the Raiders interview offer down, who the **** does that?

Flex Gunmetal
01-21-2012, 11:22 AM
Oh I understand it. I just don't care. It's a stupid conclusion based on false suppositions. Our offense was bad before Tebow came in, and once Tebow came in the only thing that wasn't bad (the running game) wasn't bad because our QB was tacking on 50 extra yards per game.
Yep. How is this an indictment of mccoy? Orton is trash, is that Mccoys fault?

Any football exec who thinks running two recover power sets with some option with a young, spread option QB, is adapting to that QB, is a moron, and all these McCoy interviews only prove to me that a lot of football execs around the league are morons.
Really, because tebow is so good at shallow throws and reading defenses, right? They should have thrown on every 1st and 3rd down all year, right?

Face it, McCoy polished a turd and did what he could with a QB who isn't ready to throw the ball in the nfl yet. Hence turning one of if not the worst rushing offense in the NFL into the best in one year.

Agamemnon
01-21-2012, 11:25 AM
And how much of that "50 extra yards per game" was caused by a QB who couldn't read what the D was doing, missed his first read, couldn't make his second read, and then took off, which of course would mean that something other than a run was called by the OC, but the play goes down in the books as a run.

This isn't an argument about Tebow. The kid had his struggles in the passing game. But if you compare the **** passing scheme he was playing with compared to what Cam Newton was given, it becomes obvious McCoy and Co. did him very few favors. And let's not pretend that Tebow's ad lib runs on passing plays numbered anywhere close to as many called QB runs by McCoy. That's just blatantly false.

Flex Gunmetal
You argue that McCoy's apparent high stock with multiple football execs must mean something because they know what they are doing. Then I point out that football execs often have no clue what they are doing. And now I'm turning your position to whatever suits me? Oh you're special. Hilarious!

My argument is
A.) You don't know more about football than people with careers in football. Regardless of the discussion, this plainly isn't true. Have you ever even played football competitively past peewee? Or are you some sort of madden guru?
and
B.) The NFL saw the fact that Mccoy could actually do something with this cluster***k of an offense.

KO5K

What about...

How much of that "50 extra yards per game" was caused by a QB who was asked to execute an intermediate pass play to one of only two receivers who had a hard time getting open when there were three of four guys covering them, and then took off gaining positive yardage from a play that was never going to work?

Can spin it both ways...

KO5K
01-21-2012, 11:26 AM
My argument is
B.) The NFL saw the fact that Mccoy could actually do something with this cluster**** of an offense.

Did he get a new job?

Flex Gunmetal
01-21-2012, 11:26 AM
This isn't an argument about Tebow. The kid had his struggles in the passing game. But if you compare the **** passing scheme he was playing with compared to what Cam Newton was given, it becomes obvious McCoy and Co. did him very few favors. And let's not pretend that Tebow's ad lib runs on passing plays numbered anywhere close to as many called QB runs by McCoy. That's just blatantly false.

Don't compare Newton to Tebow just because they both can run. One of them can also throw, too.

Flex Gunmetal
01-21-2012, 11:28 AM
Did he get a new job?

Not yet. Your point in relation to my post you quoted?

Agamemnon
01-21-2012, 11:29 AM
Yep. How is this an indictment of mccoy? Orton is trash, is that Mccoys fault?

Really, because tebow is so good at shallow throws and reading defenses, right? They should have thrown on every 1st and 3rd down all year, right?

Face it, McCoy polished a turd and did what he could with a QB who isn't ready to throw the ball in the nfl yet. Hence turning one of if not the worst rushing offense in the NFL into the best in one year.

You really don't have any clue how bad a fit the passing offense McCoy crafted for Tebow is for any QB with a spread background do you? And you talk about me being stupid... Ha!

Flex Gunmetal
01-21-2012, 11:29 AM
Hilarious!

http://www.joshmcdanielssucks.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/McDaniels-Fired.jpg

Were you even a broncos fan when he was here?

KO5K
01-21-2012, 11:31 AM
Not yet. Your point in relation to my post you quoted?

You say the "NFL recognized the McCoy could actually do something with this cluster**** of an offense".

I'm saying, how come he's staying with his old job next year?

Flex Gunmetal
01-21-2012, 11:32 AM
You really don't have any clue how bad a fit the passing offense McCoy crafted for Tebow is for any QB with a spread background do you? And you talk about me being stupid... Ha!

Yes, cause Denver had the personnel to successfully run the spread.

KO5K
01-21-2012, 11:32 AM
Were you even a broncos fan when he was here?

I don't care whether I was a Broncos fan when McDaniels was here.

Is that all you've got, fan police ****?

Agamemnon
01-21-2012, 11:35 AM
Don't compare Newton to Tebow just because they both can run. One of them can also throw, too.

Put Cam Newton in our passing scheme, and get back to me on that.

In case you didn't know, Tebow was the superior passer in college playing in virtually the same system. So either Newton just became a much better passer once he was drafted, or one team has helped their young QB by using a scheme suited to his skills while the other has completely failed to do so. I know which one is true, and I know which one you will probably think is true--and again they are the opposite of each other.

(And this isn't even about Tebow vs. Newton. The point is that Newton has been put in an offense geared towards his unique skill set and background, and Tebow categorically has not.)

Flex Gunmetal
01-21-2012, 11:35 AM
You say the "NFL recognized the McCoy could actually do something with this cluster**** of an offense".

I'm saying, how come he's staying with his old job next year?

Dolphins went with the best available option save former head coaches.
Would you go with a guy that was forced to deal make an offense with tebow, or a guy who OCd a 15 win team?

Or maybe he's getting these interviews cause Miami and Oakland want to rile up message boards.

Agamemnon
01-21-2012, 11:37 AM
Yes, cause Denver had the personnel to successfully run the spread.

Oh that's right, those brilliant football execs traded away our top two receivers form last year for pretty much nothing.

But would they have done that if Fox and/or McCoy were smart enough to know we needed to run spread formations on a regular basis with Tebow? I think not.

Flex Gunmetal
01-21-2012, 11:37 AM
I don't care whether I was a Broncos fan when McDaniels was here.

Is that all you've got, fan police ****?

lol fan police.
I want the broncos to win. People like you would rather watch tebow put up good stats in a loss.

It's a conflict of interest, there's too much bias.

Flex Gunmetal
01-21-2012, 11:40 AM
Put Cam Newton in our passing scheme, and get back to me on that.

Ok, this is possible.

In case you didn't know, Tebow was the superior passer in college playing in virtually the same system. So either Newton just became a much better passer once he was drafted, or one team has helped their young QB by using a scheme suited to his skills while the other has completely failed to do so. I know which one is true, and I know which one you will probably think is true--and again they are the opposite of each other.
I'm aware.
Are you aware that there is a significant gap in talent between the NFL and college?

(And this isn't even about Tebow vs. Newton. The point is that Newton has been put in an offense geared towards his unique skill set and background, and Tebow categorically has not.)
Actually, Tebow was put in an offense geared toward his unique skill set and backround, as well. To say this isn't true is dishonest.

Rohirrim
01-21-2012, 11:41 AM

I don't know if it's false or not. I'd have to chart every game and every play to know that. You're making a bunch of assumptions. From the two games I did chart (both wins), it was evident that Fox/McCoy were operating from a very limited playbook, especially when it came to the sets and route trees they were using. Some people make the assumption that it was the coaches doing that because they aren't good coaches and perhaps don't have a clue what they are doing.

I tend to believe that coaches operate on a single principle: Win the game. From that principle, I go on to the next axioms: Enhance your strengths, protect your weaknesses. So why were they operating from a limited playbook? Drek thinks it's because of the limitations of the Oline. You think it's because of the limitations of the coaches. I think it's because of the limitations of Tebow's skill set. You assume that Tebow is the same as Cam (or better) and would be able to carry out the same gameplan. I don't.

KO5K
01-21-2012, 11:48 AM
lol fan police.
I want the broncos to win. People like you would rather watch tebow put up good stats in a loss.

It's a conflict of interest, there's too much bias.

You don't have a clue who I root for.

Agamemnon
01-21-2012, 11:53 AM
Ok, this is possible.
One can certainly use one's imagination to project Newton from his spread-heavy dynamic passing game to our conservative, two receiver offense, and one would have to be crazy to think he would have the same success.

I'm aware.
Are you aware that there is a significant gap in talent between the NFL and college?

This is pertinent how?

Actually, Tebow was put in an offense geared toward his unique skill set and backround, as well. To say this isn't true is dishonest.

When did Tebow ever play in a run-first power option offense? I must have missed that.

Agamemnon
01-21-2012, 11:59 AM
You assume that Tebow is the same as Cam (or better) and would be able to carry out the same gameplan. I don't.

I think Tebow's skill set fits the offense they run in Carolina 100 times better than what the Broncos ran this year, especially in the passing game. This isn't about him being better, as good, or worse than Newton. This is about recognizing that Tebow and Newton have virtually identical college backgrounds and very similar skills sets. That we aren't more or less copying what is obviously working in Carolina is a joke at this point, and anyone with any idea how a spread option QB works should know that.

Maybe Tebow's not as good as Newton. It doesn't matter one way or the other. He's still a better fit in that offense than the crap McCoy vomited out on the field this year.

Goobzilla
01-21-2012, 12:00 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/21/mccoy-thinks-unwillingness-to-keep-bowles-may-have-cost-job/

McCoy thinks unwillingness to keep Bowles cost him Dolphins job
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 21, 2012, 2:41 PM EST

APJust a few days ago, we heard that Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy thought he was the favorite for the Dolphins head coaching job.

That job, of course, went to Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin. McCoy reportedly thinks the Dolphins passed on him because he didnít want to hire Dolphins secondary coach Todd Bowles as defensive coordinator.

Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald reports that the Dolphins made it clear to McCoy they wanted him to hire Bowles as defensive coordinator. Bowles was one of the three finalists for the head coaching job and remains under contract in Miami.

McCoy reportedly resisted the idea. He wanted a defensive coordinator that had experience in the role so that he could focus more on upgrading the teamís offense. He didnít want an assistant forced on him. Philbin, meanwhile, is reportedly receptive to the idea of making Bowles his defensive coordinator.

We canít know whether this is the reason the Dolphins chose Philbin. McCoy thinks it is. It would seem like an odd deal breaker if the Dolphins truly preferred McCoy, but Dolphins management have done a lot of odd things lately.

We canít help but wonder if McCoy or those around McCoy did a disservice by letting it become public that he thought he was the favorite. Weíre not sure if letting this information about Bowles out there helps McCoyís long-term interests either. It sounds like sour grapes.

Meanwhile, Bowles has to wonder if the Dolphins have been upfront with him throughout the coaching search process.

Agamemnon
01-21-2012, 12:04 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/21/mccoy-thinks-unwillingness-to-keep-bowles-may-have-cost-job/

McCoy thinks unwillingness to keep Bowles cost him Dolphins job
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 21, 2012, 2:41 PM EST

APJust a few days ago, we heard that Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy thought he was the favorite for the Dolphins head coaching job.

That job, of course, went to Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin. McCoy reportedly thinks the Dolphins passed on him because he didnít want to hire Dolphins secondary coach Todd Bowles as defensive coordinator.

Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald reports that the Dolphins made it clear to McCoy they wanted him to hire Bowles as defensive coordinator. Bowles was one of the three finalists for the head coaching job and remains under contract in Miami.

McCoy reportedly resisted the idea. He wanted a defensive coordinator that had experience in the role so that he could focus more on upgrading the teamís offense. He didnít want an assistant forced on him. Philbin, meanwhile, is reportedly receptive to the idea of making Bowles his defensive coordinator.

We canít know whether this is the reason the Dolphins chose Philbin. McCoy thinks it is. It would seem like an odd deal breaker if the Dolphins truly preferred McCoy, but Dolphins management have done a lot of odd things lately.

We canít help but wonder if McCoy or those around McCoy did a disservice by letting it become public that he thought he was the favorite. Weíre not sure if letting this information about Bowles out there helps McCoyís long-term interests either. It sounds like sour grapes.

Meanwhile, Bowles has to wonder if the Dolphins have been upfront with him throughout the coaching search process.

Well I'll give McCoy credit, at least he understands that he needs to be able to pick his own coaching staff if he wants to realize his vision for a team.

Man the Dolphins are such a clueless organization on so many levels.

Flex Gunmetal
01-21-2012, 12:30 PM
You don't have a clue who I root for.

Ive got a pretty good idea.

KO5K
01-21-2012, 12:34 PM
Ive got a pretty good idea.

I struggle to believe you were backing the Broncos this season...

Flex Gunmetal
01-21-2012, 12:40 PM
I struggle to believe you were backing the Broncos this season...

Now why is that?
was it the hundreds of dollars I spent going to games this year?

oubronco
01-21-2012, 01:00 PM

Because your the expert right Hilarious!

HAT
01-21-2012, 01:07 PM
Because your the expert right Hilarious!

Of course he is...Ag loves himself some John Fox. :yayaya:

It's becoming rather apparent that Carolina and Fox liked Tebow and that Tebow liked them. I wouldn't be surprised if they were targeting him with the pick they used on Clausen. Tebow is the definition of toughness, which Fox has said is his guiding principle in football. This looks to be a great fit.

oubronco
01-21-2012, 01:09 PM

Oops Hilarious!

Swedish Extrovert
01-21-2012, 02:18 PM
This message is hidden because Agamemnon is on your ignore list.

Something tells me I should check this conversation out.

BroncoBuff
01-21-2012, 02:32 PM
Tebow was the superior passer in college playing in virtually the same system. So either Newton just became a much better passer once he was drafted, or one team has helped their young QB by using a scheme suited to his skills while the other has completely failed to do so. I know which one is true, and I know which one you will probably think is true--and again they are the opposite of each other.

Here you go again ... "it's McCoy's fault, it's Elway's fault! If only they had installed the correct scheme, Tebow would be smoking Cam just like in college!"

Nutball, Cam was widely rated a day-one starter #1 overall pick. On the other hand, not even Josh considered starting Tebow as a rookie. In fact he named Quinn the backup. And he LIKED Tebow.

Man the Dolphins are such a clueless organization on so many levels.

When it comes to clueless, I'll defer to your expertise.

I think McCoy talked too much, seems kinda classless to me.

eddie mac
01-21-2012, 03:20 PM
6772 posts of pure wank. Dont take my word for it, if you're on the edge and the Samaritans are busy go read them.

Agamemnon
01-21-2012, 04:01 PM

A man can change his opinion. I know it's considered a sin by many on message boards, but I promise it's okay.

I'm flattered that you looked through my posts for that though. Must mean you really care. Ha!

Agamemnon
01-21-2012, 04:03 PM
I see the dip****s are gathering together for a circle jerk. Oh noes.

Chris
01-21-2012, 04:06 PM
Try to be optimistic.

Those who don't know what to think: still don't know what to think.

Agamemnon
01-21-2012, 04:12 PM
Nutball, Cam was widely rated a day-one starter #1 overall pick. On the other hand, not even Josh considered starting Tebow as a rookie. In fact he named Quinn the backup. And he LIKED Tebow.

Cam was widely questioned as an NFL QB just like Tebow for many of the same reasons (spread option offense, never took snaps under center, etc). His mechanics weren't seen as being as problematic though, so some thought he was worth a high pick. Many did not.

Of Carolina then built an offense designed to minimize the areas he was weak in based on his college background. What have the Broncos done with Tebow again? Pretty much the opposite? Yeah.

Play2win
01-21-2012, 04:26 PM
Really, I think we should keep Tebow, but put him on the bench for 2 years. That might have happened with McCoy leaving. but, with him staying, probably not. I would like to see McCoy with a Good QB capable of making all the NFL throws, it could really be a wide open offense. but, alas...

TomServo
01-22-2012, 01:12 AM
fox and mccoy made a qb that isnt NFL-ready win games and win a playoff game. the stealers totally used the wrong strategy and got burned. the smarter coach- belicheat used the right one and.... well, broken QB, ribs and all.

Bronco Rob
01-22-2012, 06:24 AM
Brian Chokenheimer named Rams' offensive coordinator

week. But the Jets' loss is Jeff Fisher's gain. Schottenheimer was hired on Saturday to be the St. Louis Rams' OC.

Fantasy Analysis:

Chokenheimer fills the void left by Josh McScumbag, who had one really disappointing year in St. Louis and then exploited a loophole by joining New England for the playoffs. I think Chokenheimer is a good coach; Mark Sanchez is the main problem in New York's offense. Sam Bradford carries a lot of pressure, but Chokenheimer will make sure than Steven Jackson gets the rock A LOT. If this team can re-sign Brandon Lloyd and then draft Justin Blackmon with the second pick in April's draft, Chokenheimer will have a nice group of playmakers to work with next season.

BabyTO
01-22-2012, 07:32 AM
great. we're stuck with this ****head for another season at least

RUN
RUN
QB DRAW
PUNT

RUN
RUN
PASS
PUNT

QB DRAW