PDA

View Full Version : OT: School rejects "Cougars" mascot, because it's offensive to middle-aged women!

DomCasual
01-19-2012, 04:36 PM
This is the high school my kids will attend.

Thank God they changed this! I can only imagine the pain this might have caused for middle-aged women everywhere!

Now, I am going to be forced to support a team called the Chargers.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/school-t-cougars-because-middle-aged-women-might-161402778.html

Students at a new Utah high school are facing disappointment after their choice for a new school mascot was rejected for one of the strangest reasons possible: Board members deemed it might be seen as offensive to middle-aged women.

As reported by Salt Lake City Fox affiliate KTSU, Draper (Utah) Corner Canyon High announced its new mascot and school colors on Wednesday, with Canyons School District officials proclaiming that the school's teams will be called the Chargers, using a blue and white color scheme.

That's all fine and good except for the fact that the school's future student body -- which was given the opportunity to select its own future mascot -- had chosen to be the Cougars. With some 23 percent of the student vote, the Cougar choice was far preferred to other options, which included the Chargers, Diamondbacks, Falcons, Raptors, Broncos, Bears and Cavaliers.

Goobzilla
01-19-2012, 04:44 PM
Hilarious! Glad there's no other team in Utah that wears blue and white named the Cougars. Wait...What?

DomCasual
01-19-2012, 05:05 PM
Hilarious! Glad there's no other team in Utah that wears blue and white named the Cougars. Wait...What?

I know. What's even more ridiculous is that they put the whole thing to a vote. Getting a high school here was a big deal! It's been a good ten-year process, that's had all sorts of twists and turns. Draper is, by far, the biggest city in Utah without its own high school. To get it, we had to vote for a school district split, and then pass two large bond issuances.

So, to capitalize on the good will everyone is feeling as they've watched the walls to the school go up, the new district sent out mailers for three votes. The first was to actually name the new school. The overwhelming choice was Draper High School - because of this crazy idea that it should be named after the city it was in. The school board decided that was a bad idea, because there is a small corner of about 30 Draper homes that wouldn't be in the school boundaries. They didn't want those people to feel excluded. The next was the choice of the school colors. That one, they couldn't mess up.

So, the last one is the mascot. They came up with ten choices, and had voting done on their website. The voting narrowed it down to the final five - Cougars, among them. For that vote, they sent out an actual ballot to each home in the boundaries. It was only after Cougars won the FINAL VOTE that they decided it would be offensive to women. It was like they were saying, "Hey, we didn't think you would be dumb enough to choose this one. Since you were that dumb, we are protecting you from yourselves! You'll thank us later!"

Now, the story is being picked up by national media, and the school board looks like imbeciles.

Nice job, dumbasses!

oubronco
01-19-2012, 05:05 PM
well at least it will satisfy the hot older chicks

well maybe not

BroncoBeavis
01-19-2012, 05:14 PM

There's gotta be a mormon cougar joke in here somewhere.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcStodKvrgWbUmarywLcOgdFSnlOZKoXf 0VJjKOo9zC8_oHPFuRgAw

Too far?

How 'bout the Draper Fightin' Osmunds

I kinda like it.

Bronx33
01-19-2012, 05:18 PM
stupid just stupid stuff like this open the door for all kinds of potential stupid.

DomCasual
01-19-2012, 05:22 PM
One more little fun fact.

Last year, the current high school covering this area made national news for another reason. The school's colors are black, white, and red. Each year, the school has a spirit rally. For an entire week, the seniors all wear black, the juniors all wear white, and the sophomores all wear red. The culmination of the week is when they all get together in the gym, and each class performs skits to represent their colors.

Do you see any problem with this?

All week, signs go up around the school, saying things like "Go Big Red," "White Power," and "Once you go black, you'll never go back!"

What about now? What could possibly go wrong here?

For the spirit rally last year, a bunch of the juniors donned white robes, with white hoods made from pillow cases with holes cut out for eyes.

Wait! What?

Someone calls the local news, and it turns out - this is where it gets shocking - that some of the African American kids at the school don't think this whole "White Power" thing is a great idea.

Wha? Who knew?

The administration comes down hard on the school. I have lots of nephews and nieces there - all really good kids. But it's weird. It turns out, the students at the school are all kids. Again, who knew? As kids have a tendency to do, they didn't think through all the repercussions of their actions. Rather than saying, "Hey, this is on us! We should have never let these kids go down this path. We should have stopped this years ago!" the board brought police in for the year, and held press conferences about how there were issues of racism at the school.

These are good kids. A little naive, maybe - but they're good kids. The whole thing made the school a powder keg. The 40 or 50 black kids at the school (out of over 3000 total students) felt awkward. The overwhelming majority of white kids felt branded as racists (the five that wore the costumes were arrested). The news kept it as the lead story in their news cycle for a couple weeks. And the whole time, the administration acted like victims.

Again, bunch of dumbasses.

BroncoBeavis
01-19-2012, 05:28 PM
Again, bunch of dumbasses.

You know the old line about 'those who can do...those who can't, teach'

That may or may not be the case, but extending on it I think it might be true that "Those who can't teach... administrate" :)

broncolife
01-19-2012, 05:29 PM
I went to Escondido High and my football team was the Cougars. 16 years later I just found out that Cougar ment something other than the animal.

DomCasual
01-19-2012, 05:36 PM
You know the old line about 'those who can do...those who can't, teach'

That may or may not be the case, but extending on it I think it might be true that "Those who can't teach... administrate" :)

So true! I don't know if it's like that everywhere. But it definitely is here. I was never one to pay attention to stuff like school boards, or even local politics. The last ten years, I've learned more than I ever wanted to about how much corruption and incompetence there is in local politics.

Blueflame
01-19-2012, 05:39 PM

Thank God they changed this! I can only imagine the pain this might have caused for middle-aged women everywhere!

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/school-t-cougars-because-middle-aged-women-might-161402778.html

Students at a new Utah high school are facing disappointment after their choice for a new school mascot was rejected for one of the strangest reasons possible: Board members deemed it might be seen as offensive to middle-aged women.

As reported by Salt Lake City Fox affiliate KTSU, Draper (Utah) Corner Canyon High announced its new mascot and school colors on Wednesday, with Canyons School District officials proclaiming that the school's teams will be called the Chargers, using a blue and white color scheme.

That's all fine and good except for the fact that the school's future student body -- which was given the opportunity to select its own future mascot -- had chosen to be the Cougars. With some 23 percent of the student vote, the Cougar choice was far preferred to other options, which included the Chargers, Diamondbacks, Falcons, Raptors, Broncos, Bears and Cavaliers.

But couldn't naming the team "the Chargers" possibly offend people who excessively use the ol' plastic?

DomCasual
01-19-2012, 05:43 PM
But couldn't naming the team "the Chargers" possibly offend people who excessively use the ol' plastic?

I actually posted that very thing on one of the articles I read about it today. :)

Goobzilla
01-19-2012, 05:47 PM
Apparently the MILF Hunters didn't finish in the top 5.

Mogulseeker
01-19-2012, 05:48 PM
Freaking Mormons.

Blueflame
01-19-2012, 05:50 PM
I actually posted that very thing on one of the articles I read about it today. :)

Great minds and all that... :D :thumbsup:

I'm glad Washington State University hasn't succumbed to such silliness...

DomCasual
01-19-2012, 06:45 PM
Freaking Mormons.

HAHAHAHA - Hey, there's not that much difference between a Cougar and a Westland Wildcat, so watch yourself!

chawknz
01-19-2012, 06:50 PM
Maybe they should use a lion instead.

Mogulseeker
01-19-2012, 06:53 PM
HAHAHAHA - Hey, there's not that much difference between a Cougar and a Westland Wildcat, so watch yourself!

Hahaha, that's true... but I got out of there while I could.

Dakota Ridge Eagles (not much better).

Chris
01-19-2012, 06:53 PM
Karl Malone's got this

DomCasual
01-19-2012, 07:03 PM
Karl Malone's got this

Last I heard, Karl was hunting "little Mexican girls (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1944994)."

So, I'm not sure he's the best option, when it comes to political correctness.

Doggcow
01-19-2012, 07:05 PM
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd29/brammabull86/wsucougars.jpg

Archer81
01-19-2012, 07:05 PM
When I was in middle school At Quantico the mascot was a devil dog. When I went back a few years later, they changed it to warriors.

Lame.

:Broncos:

DomCasual
01-19-2012, 07:11 PM
When I was in middle school At Quantico the mascot was a devil dog. When I went back a few years later, they changed it to warriors.

Lame.

Oh geez.

The Tampa Bay Devil Rays did the same thing. The devil will take your soul, if you even say the word "Devil!"

Crap. I'm screwed.

Archer81
01-19-2012, 07:15 PM
Oh geez.

The Tampa Bay Devil Rays did the same thing. The devil will take your soul, if you even say the word "Devil!"

Crap. I'm screwed.

Quantico is a Marine base for the love of God...all the kids at the place were sons and daughters of Marines. I never got a clear answer as to why they changed it to warriors, which incidentally looked more like a legionaire than a warrior.

But whateve...

ghwk
01-19-2012, 08:47 PM
There are cougars and then there are cougars!

DomCasual
01-19-2012, 08:51 PM
There are cougars and then there are cougars!

Yow! That looks like it might chaff, a little!

GoHAM
01-19-2012, 09:05 PM
I'm really disappointed that the following mascots were not on the final ballot:

Crickets
Stompers
Cricket Stompers
Storm
Stormers
Stormin' Mormons
Polygamers
Irrigators
and finally
The Jimmers

I kid I kid.

Taco John
01-19-2012, 09:12 PM
This is easily the silliest moment of politically correct I've ever encountered. I'm kind of shocked at how utterly goofy this is. It's hard for me to understand how anyone could be taken seriously in a meeting bringing this topic up. I wish someone would make a movie about it in the style of Napoleon Dynamite.

Mogulseeker
01-19-2012, 09:52 PM
<object width="512" height="288"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/_MU1EuPl8ZGIvKxYPk_uCw"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/_MU1EuPl8ZGIvKxYPk_uCw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="512" height="288" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

gunns
01-20-2012, 07:21 AM
I know. What's even more ridiculous is that they put the whole thing to a vote. Getting a high school here was a big deal! It's been a good ten-year process, that's had all sorts of twists and turns. Draper is, by far, the biggest city in Utah without its own high school. To get it, we had to vote for a school district split, and then pass two large bond issuances.

So, to capitalize on the good will everyone is feeling as they've watched the walls to the school go up, the new district sent out mailers for three votes. The first was to actually name the new school. The overwhelming choice was Draper High School - because of this crazy idea that it should be named after the city it was in. The school board decided that was a bad idea, because there is a small corner of about 30 Draper homes that wouldn't be in the school boundaries. They didn't want those people to feel excluded. The next was the choice of the school colors. That one, they couldn't mess up.

So, the last one is the mascot. They came up with ten choices, and had voting done on their website. The voting narrowed it down to the final five - Cougars, among them. For that vote, they sent out an actual ballot to each home in the boundaries. It was only after Cougars won the FINAL VOTE that they decided it would be offensive to women. It was like they were saying, "Hey, we didn't think you would be dumb enough to choose this one. Since you were that dumb, we are protecting you from yourselves! You'll thank us later!"

Now, the story is being picked up by national media, and the school board looks like imbeciles.

Nice job, dumbasses!

Wow, I never even heard about this. I can see not wanting to name it Cougars to be associated with another school in Utah but this reason is ridiculous. It could be a meeting for us cougars for homecoming. We could be the alumni. ;D

bendog
01-20-2012, 08:32 AM
too bad. The school song could have been "hot for teacher."

Goobzilla
01-20-2012, 09:38 AM
too bad. The school song could have been "hot for teacher."

Mary Kay LeTourneau just sent in an application :yayaya:

Pony Boy
01-20-2012, 09:52 AM
Still my favorite

DomCasual
01-20-2012, 09:57 AM
I'm really disappointed that the following mascots were not on the final ballot:

Crickets
Stompers
Cricket Stompers
Storm
Stormers
Stormin' Mormons
Polygamers
Irrigators
and finally
The Jimmers

I kid I kid.

I'd be good on the Stormin' Mormons, the Cricket Stompers (there's some great state history behind that one), and the Jimmers (that one, too).

bendog
01-20-2012, 10:11 AM
The Puking Seagulls!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_of_the_gulls

DomCasual
01-20-2012, 10:37 AM
The Puking Seagulls!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_of_the_gulls

See, now we're talking! My suggestion for the contest was Ghosts. I thought that would be pretty cool. The Halloween parties would have been epic! There's a little area up against the mountains here called Ghost Falls - it's supposedly haunted.

But puking seagulls would have had even more meaning!

Of course, it might have been offensive to the sea gull community.

bendog
01-20-2012, 11:12 AM
That's the thing. I mean Utah isn't really noted for ferocious beasts outside of snakes and cougars. I suppose they have brown bears, but ... dang the state is noted for Mountain Lion. And, personally I don't see the term cougar to be really demeaning to women in their 30s-50s. It's just not a term that is commonly applicable to all women. It references a specific, and not uncommon behavior. And that's probably the issue for the educators. God forbid Little Donny loses his cherry to Mrs. Smith from up the street. LOL

bronco militia
01-20-2012, 11:17 AM
Of course, it might have been offensive to the sea gull community.

Have you ever given those flying rats an alka seltzer?

bendog
01-20-2012, 11:22 AM
Have you ever given those flying rats an alka seltzer?

Now I'm really afraid.

bronco militia
01-20-2012, 11:26 AM
Now I'm really afraid.

don't worry....just an old urban legend :~ohyah!:

bendog
01-20-2012, 11:30 AM
http://www.stupidvideos.com/video/just_plain_stupid/seagulls_and_syke_like_alka_seltzer_crazy_bird_exp losion/#219652

BroncoBeavis
01-20-2012, 11:33 AM
http://www.stupidvideos.com/video/just_plain_stupid/seagulls_and_syke_like_alka_seltzer_crazy_bird_exp losion/#219652

S'pose they could've just rolled with Mountain Lions, but I guess that could maybe open up another line of lame jokes. :)

Peoples Champ
01-20-2012, 11:34 AM

thats the first thing i thought of, byu?

bendog
01-20-2012, 11:38 AM
Name em 'the blue balls.'

And show that Blue Ball pride! (clap)

Move from (clap on "from") side to side (clap on "side)

SonOfLe-loLang
01-20-2012, 11:47 AM

Lame.

Sweet mascot!

DomCasual
01-20-2012, 11:49 AM
That's the thing. I mean Utah isn't really noted for ferocious beasts outside of snakes and cougars. I suppose they have brown bears, but ... dang the state is noted for Mountain Lion. And, personally I don't see the term cougar to be really demeaning to women in their 30s-50s. It's just not a term that is commonly applicable to all women. It references a specific, and not uncommon behavior. And that's probably the issue for the educators. God forbid Little Donny loses his cherry to Mrs. Smith from up the street. LOL

I always get a little sick when I hear of these hot teachers doing the deed with teen-age students.

Where were these hot teachers when I was a kid?

I would have gladly been a victim. Heck, I would have had to get in line!

It's obviously different if the victim is female. Then, it's just creepy.

But as a boy? Come on, now! You're not a victim. You're a freaking hero!

DomCasual
01-20-2012, 11:50 AM
Sweet mascot!

Students could throw them onto the court after the first three-pointer of each game!

gunns
01-20-2012, 11:54 AM

Clap. Not good.

DomCasual
01-20-2012, 11:56 AM

Having once been a teenager, I find this very offensive. On any given night, half the boys in the crowd could be suffering from this condition.

Archer81
01-20-2012, 12:31 PM
Having once been a teenager, I find this very offensive. On any given night, half the boys in the crowd could be suffering from this condition.

Teenage boys have no idea what blue balls is. No impulse control + alone in the house = a mess hastily cleaned up followed by making a sandwich.

bronco militia
01-20-2012, 12:38 PM
Teenage boys have no idea what blue balls is. No impulse control + alone in the house = a mess hastily cleaned up followed by making a sandwich.

you obviuosly didn't grow up during the dark ages (before the interwebs)

Requiem
01-20-2012, 12:39 PM
Well **** them dumb broads.

Archer81
01-20-2012, 12:41 PM
you obviuosly didn't grow in the dark ages (before the interwebs)

I was born in 1981. We did not get internet until 1996. Even then it was dialup and it took 15 minutes to download a photo, let alone load a video. So for that reason no banana peel was safe in my house.

Just sayin.

bronco militia
01-20-2012, 12:43 PM
I was born in 1981. We did not get internet until 1996. Even then it was dialup and it took 15 minutes to download a photo, let alone load a video. So for that reason no banana peel was safe in my house.

Just sayin.

I was born in 1972 and did not have cable until I moved out of the house (1990)

no sears/JCPenny catalog or SI swim suit issue was safe

Requiem
01-20-2012, 12:49 PM

would always sneak into my mom's room and nab them JC Penny ladies underwear catalogs.

this would usually be about 30 minutes after school when I got sick of drawing myself in Mega Man suits of all different kinds.

much love to JC Penny for getting me into such awesome hobBBies!

BroncoBeavis
01-20-2012, 12:50 PM

Hopefully there was at least a quick handwash in between. :)

Requiem
01-20-2012, 12:55 PM
Hopefully there was at least a quick handwash in between. :)

yeah

it's called washing your hand on the bread so you get some homemade mayo protein
yesssssirrrr:peace::peace::peace::yayaya::yayaya:: yayaya::afro::afro:

DomCasual
01-20-2012, 12:59 PM
I was born in 1972 and did not have cable until I moved out of the house (1990)

Kids today have no idea about the Sears/JCPenney catalogs. Just no clue!

Can you imagine if we would have even gotten something like Victoria's Secret catalogs, back then? Game over, man! Game over!

The Internet has taken away all the fun for this stuff. There's no need for imagination anymore!

Archer81
01-20-2012, 01:00 PM

Can you imagine if we would have even gotten something like Victoria's Secret catalogs, back then? Game over, man! Game over!

The Internet has taken away all the fun for this stuff. There's no need for imagination anymore!

One day I am going to have to write Borders an apology letter and send them a money order to cover the cost of the magazines I lifted as a teenager...

Of course they are out of business now...so I suppose there is no point.

Requiem
01-20-2012, 01:03 PM

I started out with JC Penny and graduated to Victoria's Secret.

Let's just say I never hung posters up in my room with Elmer's glue or tacs.

OFF THE RIP BABY.

bronco militia
01-20-2012, 01:12 PM
POW POW POW!

bronco militia
01-20-2012, 01:14 PM

OFF THE RIP BABY.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

every now and then a Fredrick's of Hollywood would show up in our mailbox

DomCasual
01-20-2012, 01:49 PM
One day I am going to have to write Borders an apology letter and send them a money order to cover the cost of the magazines I lifted as a teenager...

Of course they are out of business now...so I suppose there is no point.

Why do you think they went out of business? It was snot-nosed brats like you! The thirty or forty bucks you avoided paying them would have put them over the top! Thanks! Thanks a lot!

DomCasual
01-20-2012, 01:51 PM

OFF THE RIP BABY.

This sounds like a speech you might give at some sort of 12-step program.

It would start out, "My name is Requiem, and I like to wear women's underpants!"

bronco militia
01-20-2012, 05:57 PM
Lmao at the couger life add on the mane

broncosteven
01-20-2012, 06:09 PM
Apparently the MILF Hunters didn't finish in the top 5.

I wonder how many votes Muffintops got?

broncosteven
01-20-2012, 06:13 PM

Just sayin.

Anyone else try to tune in ONTV on a small black and white TV?

BroncsCheer
01-20-2012, 08:05 PM
Isn't Draper where the prison is? How about the Offenders or the Inmates or The Firing Squad?

Tombstone RJ
01-20-2012, 08:06 PM

I'm thinking one of the ladies on the school board is a bonafide cougar... grrrrrrrrr!!!

Tombstone RJ
01-20-2012, 08:08 PM
Cougars in the house--hey ladies!!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Naf5uJYGoiU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TheReverend
01-20-2012, 09:02 PM
I'm thinking one of the ladies on the school board is a bonafide cougar... grrrrrrrrr!!!

Doubt it.

BroncoBuff
01-20-2012, 09:21 PM
I think cougars, pumas and mountain lions are the same animal. Call them the Fightin' Pumas!

"Chargers, Diamondbacks, Falcons, Raptors, Broncos, Bears and Cavaliers" ... ? That's the best they can come up with? Weak.

DomCasual
01-20-2012, 09:24 PM
Isn't Draper where the prison is? How about the Offenders or the Inmates or The Firing Squad?

It would be kind of nice if we could memorialize Utah being the last state with a firing squad.

BroncoBuff
01-20-2012, 09:31 PM
The UC Santa Cruz mascot is the banana slug. In 1981, when the university began participating in NCAA intercollegiate sports, the then-chancellor and some student athletes declared the mascot to be the "sea lions." Most students disliked the new mascot and offered an alternative mascot, the banana slug. In 1986, students voted via referendum to declare the banana slug the official mascot of UCSC a vote the chancellor refused to honor, arguing that only athletes should choose the mascot. When a poll of athletes showed that they, too, wanted to be "Slugs," the chancellor relented.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/27/Banana_slug_at_UCSC.jpg/220px-Banana_slug_at_UCSC.jpg

Now THAT'S creative. I bet we could come up with at least 5 mascots better than the Falcons or Cavaliers inside 30 minutes :oyvey: